the Rift

[OPEN] snowdrift slumber

Wilibald Posts: 44
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 14.0 hh :: 8 years
Sarah

Okay, so he had to hand it to that Slaiter fellow – he knew a good meadow. He hadn’t been to sure about this ‘Helovia’ place when he had first arrived in that forest. Yeah, okay, he liked a good forest. But that one was just so prickly and there was nothing comfortable about it. Wilibald liked open forests, filled with clover and lavender where he could waste away an entire day lying down and eating and eating while he was lying down. It was a little early in the year to figure out whether there were any places like that here, but in the meantime there was plenty of snow.

And snow was wonderful for napping.

In fact, that was precisely what Wilibald had been doing for the past few hours – recovering from the trip here and wondering if he had been gone from home for long enough. Maybe not. It really had only been a couple days, which was the longest anyone had ever been away from the herd since his great-uncle Ferdinand had gotten lost one winter and showed up the next summer twice the size and strangely enough completely black from head to hoof when he had been brown before. He also demanded that they call him Padfoot from then on and he actually looked more like a wolf than a pony.

But it was totally his uncle and from then on, they all knew what happened when you left the safety of their valleys.

Curiosity was the greatest sin, and yet here Wilibald was – lying in a bank of snow that had formed to his chubby sides – and pondering just what he would transform into before he returned home.

Lying on his side, for he found that curling his legs up underneath him wasn’t altogether comfortable in the snow, he looked up at the grey expanse of afternoon sky – it rather looked like it would snow soon. He should move on, find some shelter. His coat was thick – already there were little balls of snow caught all underneath his belly and his chin. He felt at least a hundred pounds heavier because of it but still; the chill would get in before long. He should move on.

But instead he stayed where he was, a happy little pony lying in the snow, and decided to hum himself a little song. For all the strangeness he had seen (one horse with a protrubance out of his forehead was enough for him) at least he could still be relatively satiated (winter was terrible for keeping bellies full) and fully rested. Not a bad day if you looked at it that way!

@[Midas]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I longed for the end of Frostfall, granted these dreary days were preferred to life inside a den. We weren’t wolves, our species needed light and sun, fresh air that didn’t always smell of someone’s bad tasting musk. Luckily, this cold didn’t bother me as readily had once upon a time; a full winter coat lay across my back, it had thickened, a sign that I’d been away from home for longer than usually desired. “You’re not going back.” Fina chided, softly clicking her beak together as she glided slowly overhead. “Nay, I’m not,” I whispered. Such a thing would mean turning back on my word, spitting at honor in the face of a god—and not just any god. But the lord of my fathers and their fathers.

Instead I enjoyed what distractions could be taken from my homeland and meadows of youth. It kept mind free of troubles that nipped at heels. Deep drifts slowed my gait and as I sloshed onward the familiar landscape gave way into a darkened shape that was plastered into the meadow. He lay quietly, possibly dead by how still the beast was. Thick body paused, my eyes flickering to him, ears erect; every fiber of my being was listening for life.

“He draws breath,” a certain phoenix chirped. Crown nodded, knowing she’d understand without words what was going to happen next. “Hail!” I called out, loud and chipper while my flesh began clomping forward again and kicking up snow in the wake of each step, “Is ye well friend?” Caution drove toward pausing again when a reasonable distance had been covered. Wings tightened themselves against my barrel.

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hidden Account
Sarah

The happy tune that Wilibald had been singing, a lovely tale about a colt and his clover patch, had distracted him enough from his surroundings that he was thoroughly surprised to hear someone call out. The reaction to the hail was not something anyone would likely be proud of, for the chubby pony very nearly soiled himself. Oh dear, not really. But several other things did happen all at once. His heart rather picked up speed; his body gave a jolt so that his legs and head (being the lighter parts of his body) lifted away from the snow; he hollered a “MAYBELL’S MERCY”; and those eyes quite opened up wide, looking for who it was that had called out.

Oh dear, another tall, lean stranger. Wasn’t there anyone a proper size around here? Interrupting a completely peaceful moment just to ask if he was alright? Well, it was a polite interruption but an interruption nonetheless. He had just been getting to the part about the ample bosom of the clover flowers (his favourite part).

Now that his heart had started to calm down a little bit – were those wings? Were horses breeding with birds now? Oh Wilibald where have you ended up? But there would be none of that just quite yet – certainly in a little while though. He had been posed a question and strange-looking or not, this black and white fellow deserved an answer. “Oh yes, kind sir! Quite well. I was only taking a bit of a nap, you see. The snow is quite agreeable for that.” He leaned back where he laid for another moment, proving his point, before he (grudgingly) got to his feet.

There in the snow was a rather beautiful imprint, if he must say so himself. The snow clung to the side that had been nestled in it, giving him a lopsided appearance as he turned to face the taller male. Now that he was right-side-up he got a better look at those wings. Funny looking appendages, they looked as though they would get in the way of just about everything. How could you comfortably lie on your side with a limb sticking out there?

He tried to remember the stories about winged horses but all he could think of were the angels, and he most certainly was not going to use one of the best pick-up-lines of all time on this stallion as a totally serious inquiry. “I would recommend that you try it but you might find it…” And here, with a pointed look at those wings, the pony harrumphed before continuing. “Difficult.” And finally, there were pleasantries that demanded to be shared. “I am Wilibald, son of Hamfast, and I do thank you for your concern.”

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I hadn’t heard him singing at the distance we stood; and in the process of said individual yipping from the snow, a curse stringing from the lips of said stranger ended up making me nearly jump out of skin despite being a primed warrior who took pride in all manner of situations. My heart leapt into throat and ears shot back; ivory feathers rose into a high arch, slithering from my sides as if to aid me into heaven. Fina giggled in my mind, obviously taking morbid amusement for the sake of someone else’s discomfort. I waited as his eyes found me, holding them until the both of us clearly saw that no threat had been made with the intention of harm.

Only when he spoke did this battle worn body entertain the idea of relaxing. “So jumpy, ye two is…” Fina announced before sailing higher. “Apologizes,” I called back, feeling more or less a little foolish for disturbing this fine individual (even if I’d meant well.) Snow caked limbs shifted and the stranger found his feet, I held ground and allowed his gaze to linger on the feathers that slowly found their way back into a warm sheath.

He offered a joke, furthering my ease into place. An easy smile tickled both corners on his jest, “Aye, it wouldn’t be very comfortable for me.” Feathers didn’t do well when they got wet, and even less so when they were cold. As a young colt we didn’t often get a frost in the desert and only rarely in my young life did Ma or Da take me from the confines of home. “Let things be well between us Wilibald, son of Hamfast.” Grin widened as I dipped skull respectfully toward chest in a soldiers salute, tapping the gem thrice.

“I am Midas, son of Tharon” It felt nice to share the old tongue with someone who had been reared the same. My father had passed on this old way before the world moved on to replace our beautiful words with brash language. Speaking used to be an art; a teaching I’d have returned to the world, “Is ye a traveler?”
Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

The apology was missed in the concentration that it took to send, but Wilibald would not have been able to begrudge the interruption for very long. Especially once he started talking! He had not expected to find someone so polite and he could not have stopped the delighted, shining smile from appearing in his bright eyes if he had wanted to. He dipped his head in response to that made by the patched stranger, a tingling sort of joy going through him. Proper conversation was as wonderful as a nap, as a good meal. “Well met, Midas, son of Tharos.” It was pleasantly noted that the syllables of these names were easier for him to manage than those of Slaiter, son of Azombie, had been.

To the question posed, there was a moment take to reflect on that. He supposed he was, but it was never a label that Wilibald had rather liked. It spoke of homelessness, lack of belonging and change. Despite the fact that he was clearly experiencing a great deal of change (completely new land and all) but he rather looked forward to a future where that stopped. “Yes, but a reluctant one.” He admitted finally, after the moment had passed, before explaining further. “I’m not made for travelling though I took up this journey of my own free will. I’m seeking a home so I can live in some sort of security while this restlessness and adventure-seeking is followed through.” He spoke of restlessness as though it were a disease and he simply needed to wait for it to pass - because that was what he certainly viewed it to be. Restlessness led to problems, every pony knew that. “But I don’t know enough about this land to know what a suitable home would be.” It never occured to him to give a simple 'yes'.

He had been led to this meadow because he had requested a meadow, but what lay beyond here and the dreary forest he had been found in by Slaiter, he had no idea. The idea of just wandering about willy-nilly rather frightened him, and relying on the information of strangers was far preferable. Funny how that worked.

“And what of you, Midas? Are you a fellow traveller or have you made your home in this land?" Curiosity was a terrible sin, but in some cases it was also polite. Far better to keep with the topic at hand than ask about those wings, he was convinced he wouldn't like the answers to anything he could inquire after in that direction. Nope, better to not think about them at all.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Whatever misgivings either one of us had carried into the conversation were quickly ushered off as we smiled at each other like good ‘olé kin. Wilibald explained his position in the world, admitting with some reluctance that my inquires had landed onto proper footing; I was intrigued by his response and the likelihood of a history rich in lore—but I kept silent the questions that fluttered alive--there would be ample time to pick at his brain later. For now I merely listened politely until he posed a return question, “Nay,” I replied with a knowing smile drifting upon my face, “I was sired and reared south of this meadow, on a patch of desert called, Dragon’s Throat.”

Just thinking about home sent a sharp pang of longing down the fleshy folds of my throat. “Though, I’ve left the clan of my fathers to follow a different path.” What would Da say to my decision to follow Earth? Alas, he wasn’t here to school words into my ears, nor would his ghost emerge from sleep to inspire a greater wisdom. “A land north of here, surrounded by the thunder of water and towering timbers of old--Hidden Falls shelters me now, a place ye would be most welcome in.”

An invitation, a choice. I wouldn’t be caught spreading poor rumors about my kin in the south; it was also hard to speak favorably about a herd I’d hardly gotten the chance to meet. My instincts warned that I’d need a friend in the coming weeks; and perhaps more than one.
Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

Disappointment was an understatement when a desert was mentioned. Who would ever want to live in a desert? Wilibald’s skin ached just thinking about it. Summer had never been his favourite – though neither had winter. Extremes just weren’t his thing, and yet here he was. Being extremely curious and going against how he was raised in an extreme fashion. It was exciting to be a little rebellious but he certainly wasn’t going to go live in a desert especially one named Dragon’s Throat because that just sounded terrible.

Dragons eat ponies, you know.

However! It turned out that Midas might have been sired and raised in the desert but he was currently living somewhere much more agreeable. “You make a persuasive argument, Midas.” Though there really had been no argument at all – the mention of waterfalls alone simply made Wilibald reminisce about this particularly beautiful valley his family would find themselves in during the spring. Oh it would be good to be in the mountains again!

The little chestnut’s mind was made up already, his heavy head nodding as he contemplated the possibility. Yes, it could just work. Midas seemed to be an pleasant sort, it was likely that he would make his home among others of the same. The only problem would be if they were all… well, large and flashy but Wilibald had quite forgotten to consider that as he was wrapped up in the idea of having a favourite napping spot again in a copse of trees with the sound of waterfalls drowning out anything he didn’t want to deal with. “If this Hidden Falls has trees and grass and clovers, it would be a great honour for me to see the place that you call your home. I dare say you should lead the way.”

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

The kind fellow seemed to consider my words, weighting them favorably. I smiled when he responded with high interest and even more enthusiasm than most of my kin might have—already there was a sense that we would become fast friends. Our walk back to Hidden Falls would be a long and welcomed one, “Aye, to the Fall’s then.” My grin spread wide, revealing teeth, “if green is your desire, ye will find your need filled to burst.” Oh, and if insanity also moves your taste—then you’ll find that as well; or so I’ve been told.

Fina chortles from above, her high pitched chirps coming in the form of a question to my ears, yet they would stand as only a cry to his, “We go home?” She asks, without fixture toward disappointment or elation either way. I allow my reply to be the shuffling of feet proudly stepping clear of the slush that lay below. Into the woods, over the hills and to my father’s house we’d go. “I’m sure ye has numerous questions about Helovia. Consider them well received should ye choose to ask.”

If he was new, and a possible brother—I’d have him well educated on the happenings of this land. Too many of my kin had been lost to foolish acts that could have been avoided had they only pried for more information, and if they had trusted the words of those who’d voiced reason. A combination of brash behavior and thoughtless ignorance could lead someone to a quick death.

OOC: we can end this now or keep going, or start elsewhere :) I'm good with whatever
Image Credits