the Rift

[DROP] The final task

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
@[Kari] , @[Arah] , @[Elsa] , @[Amani]
Congratulations!

You have 72 hours to reply to this post.

As the four successful and victorious cleansers of darkness made their way back to the Thistle Meadow, the earth turtle waited proudly. He smiled in a happy, turtle way and and hummed thoughtfully, meditating on their good work. He had heard from the birds and the whispers of nature that they had eradicated all of the remnants of darkness that had remained in those areas, and thus Helovia was slowly healing.

He looked at each one of them, prepared to give a final task in order to determine the best caretaker for the egg. "Each of you has shown ingenuity and care for Helovia, and I thank you. Your final task is to show me how you will care for the egg, protect it from danger, and tell me how you will care for it when it hatches. Please consider your answers carefully!"

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily

I was first to arrive back to the turtle. Somehow, i'm not even sure how, all the mold was long gone. My fire had helped, I was greatful for that. I had even been able to help clean the mold from the pegasus stallion's wing and the unicorn mare's horn. I was useful! Was I the only one to return to the turtle? Or would there be others from the other two groups we had broken into? I hoped there was others, and I also hoped Elsa was among those who return. She was like my mom after all. I feel safer by her side.

As the rest arrive, I keep my eyes on the turtle. I did not need to know who else comes unless Elsa does. He speaks to us all, thanking us for something called ingenuity and for caring about Helovia. Of course I wanted to take care of the place I was now calling home. It was my mother's birthplace. He then went on to ask us to show him how we would care for this very precious egg. But not only that, but protect it from danger and its care for when it hatches.

I stood in silence for the longest time, not watching to see if others went before me or if I was the first to speak. Even when I made my choice, I did not speak. He wanted us to show him right? What better way to show him then to build my idea right here... Even if I would not have exactly the same things back home in the Falls.

Quietly I moved about, there were not sutable limbs around here to build what I was imagining... Maybe there would be once the snow melted. I moved off a great distance, just barely in hearing range and began to make a fireball. The snow melted away from the heat, revealing sticks that I needed. I moved about, using the sticks and other glasses and leaves to make a nest much like the birds. I had to remake the fireball from time to time as I needed it, because I could never get them to last long enough.

At long last I had what I wanted. It was a small nest with high edges to try and help keep the wind off the egg. It was big enough that I could hold it firmly between my wings, but small enough that at night I could cover it with my wing to help keep it warm. Proud of what I had built, I moved back to the Earth Turtle and placed it in front of him. "I built this to help protect the egg from the wind, much like the momma and daddy birds do to keep thier babies safe. I made the walls high enough to try and keep the wind off him or her after hatching. I can use my fire magic to not only protect the baby, but keep warm as well." Here I paused for a moment, trying to figure out what it would eat. "While the baby is really little, i'll stay close and hunt for him or her. I won't let the baby out of my sight." Sure, I was still young... But Momma had protected me this way... Surely that was how all babies needed to be kept safe...

"Talk"

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie
A R A H

Magic burns holes in the soul,
But many are willing to pay the price
To cause another pain.
They wondered back to the turtle, silently coming to a stop in front of him. Arah looked over the ancient, wondering how much wisdom the her was willing to give. However, he wanted them to speak, to tell me how they planned to care for the egg, protect the creature inside it from danger. A soft smile curled her chops, golden eyes shinning over the hardened skin of the wise one. Carefully lowering herself into the sand Arah remained quiet at the winged female spoke first, her kind words the winged girl had made an impressive nest for the egg and the doe looked over it approvingly. Indeed it would keep an egg warm and safe, then she spoke about hunting for the creature that emerged from the egg, not letting the creature out of her sigh. It was a sweet melody to listen too. When the girl finally fell silent, Arah cleared her throat. "I am a mother myself." A smile lit up her face as the twins popped into her memories, their sweet innocent faces, they joyous way they laughed. "I will raise the creature along side my girls." Her golden and beautiful eyes looked over the egg, wondering what grew inside.

"The creature will know love, companionship, warmth and above all safety." Eyes traveling back to the turtle, Arah continued. "He or she will never be alone, I will care for the creature and protect him or her until my last breath." Then, Arah sighed and finished her speech. "Above all, I will show the creature the beauty of freedom." With a single nod the doe fell silent, allowing other to speak their turn, have a say and share how much they would all care for this precious bundle. It may not be a long confession of love and vows, for everyone sometimes broke a vow they once made. Arah did not see the point, for she could promise and swear but actions spoke louder than words. Her silence still hung in the air, it was a beautiful thing at times. The sound of peace and tranquility, for in Arah's heart she was calm and truly at peace with the words. Perhaps in time that would change but would would never change was Arah's seemingly unending capability to love the others around her.

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer
KARI
Once we were young and blessed with wings
No sacred place we did not soar

The way back from the cold beach seemed much too long and the colt walked most of the way in withdrawn silence. The feelings of taint and darkness that had seeped into him along with the memories of the sickly critter weighed on him, perhaps more so than even the miracle of lightning from a clear sky. He didn't know much about magic, nor did he fully comprehend how all the elements of the world was tied to a ruling god; but even so the hints and clues that whispered suggestively through the visions left the child with a feeling of hefty unease - like that one time when he had stumbled over a rock and landed face to face with a viper.

When he came back to the Earth Turtle the storm gray hybrid settled in quietly by the others, thawing out of his brooding just enough to look around in curious wonder. The group around the turtle and the egg had thinned out considerably, he wondered what had happened to the rest of the horses. Had they failed the task, or given up halfway through? Somehow this made him feel equal parts pride and guilt, and that feeling only continued to grow as he heard the question the wise old creature asked next.

Kari watched jealously as a small winged filly, just barely older than himself if her size was anything to go by, began making a nest of leaves and branches after thawing away the snow and ice with a brilliant ball of fire. He wasn't sure what made him most envious, that she came up with the idea or the impressive magic the girl had. In comparison, what could he do? Just barely move some sand that in the end didn't do anything, and eavesdrop on people's past like a creepy person. It was downright unfair! Why hadn't he been given amazing fire magic or flashy, loud and crackling lightning to shoot? The gods must hate him, he decided glumly, just barely paying attention to the impressive speeches offered by the filly and a older, really pretty unicorn mare.

When his came turn to speak, the colt shifted uncomfortably under the weight of the collective gazes. After those honorable words, what could he ever say that would make him stand out? He wasn't even sure he wanted that egg in the first place - or that it would be responsible for him to accept it.

"You should probably give the egg to someone else" he mumbled and looked down at his feet, delicate cloves on spindly legs that kept shuffling a small lump of ice between them.
"I don't have a home and my mom is missing, so I just stay with strangers in the Sanctuary right now. I would take care of whatever is in the egg as best I could of course, but compared to them" he said and threw a wry look at the ladies, "I don't have a lot to offer..."

A faint shrug wrapped up his explanation, and as he finally looked up to meet the gaze of the Turtle the boy forced himself to offer the elder a thin smile. He didn't want anyone to think he was feeling sorry for himself. It wasn't true, he had very little to be sad about - he was given a meal every day, had someone to return to that would watch over him as he slept, shelter and protection...

Besides, the current situation wouldn't be forever. He was going to find Shadow, they would return to the Dragon's Throat together and live with the herd like before. He would go watch the ocean and the Seer's Fire with aunt Africa, and maybe one day he would be able to have a real conversation with his dad. Kari was not a victim. He didn't allow himself to be, and there was no way he would allow anyone else to think of him as one.

For now though, perhaps it would be better if he didn't try to save anyone else as well... The boy gave the rounded shape of the egg a long wistful look and sighed deeply, resigning himself to the knowledge that the egg would go to a good person.

code by Tamme image by Ina

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare

Elsa
My head's underwater, but i'm breathing fine.
Elsa wandered back, after reluctantly leaving the star and the one called Illynx back at the ancient structure. Upon arrival, Elsa audibly sighed at the sight of Amani. She always knew her little girl was strong, even if she wasn't "technically" her own daughter. Elsa offered her a smile, and winked in encouragement. The turtle then caught her attention, asking about how they should take care of it.

Amani was the first to jump into action, she returned with a nest-like contraption. Walls fortressed it to keep the wind out. Elsa smiled, still herself looking for her own ingenuity. What could Elsa do with her own talents? What could she possible do? The next, Arah, spoke of promised protection among her daughters. Then, a tiny slate hybrid spoke. His voice timid and truthful. Elsa's heart broke, and she wouldn't let him give up the chance. "I do not know of your name, young one, but should the Earth see you fit, I would be more than happy to help you in your endeavors to raise the companion. Elsa offered, although she wasn't giving up her own chance to gain a companion either. Elsa yearned for a bonded, one she could relate to on a deep level.

Aha! That was when the idea hit her, first, she would prove she is able to care for it, in a physical sense. Elsa manipulated ice upon the ground, forming an igloo shape. She piled snow onto the clear ice, leaving a clear strip, like glass running east to west on the igloo. She went off then, to get some branches from the evergreens, thanking the gods for their "ever fresh" branches. She gnawed them off, to her dismay, for she hated sap, but knew she needed them. Elsa the returned to the igloo she had created, laying the branches on the floor of the igloo, to keep the egg from rubbing always up against the snow. "This is for the fundamental survival. An igloo is capable of retaining heat, and the path, east to west, that I left uncovered by snow, is to allow sunlight to constantly beat down on the egg and warm it at all hours of the day. I added the branches to keep the egg from rubbing against the snowy ground all the time. Of course, this is for when I am not able to warm it under my wing, when I am called to work elsewhere." She said, nodding to the turtle. "That is only the basics though, food I would provide in the form of berries or scarce meat that may cross my path during winter, so it would have some sort of sustenance when it hatches. For, I have no idea what the creature inside may be." She admitted shamefully. She knew she could not know everything though. "I, like the other mother said, would raise it like a child. It could grow up, not only with me, but it could grow up around the other horses too, like Amani, and like my other friends in the Hidden Falls." She offered, before standing back, and letting the turtle decide. It would undoubtably be a hard decision, for each horse had their own, unique reasons, for why they should raise this child.

"their speech goes here"

code © tamme, picture © chan
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Helovian Ancient
1 = Amani, 2 = Arah, 3= Kari, 4= Elsa

1d4 rolled for a total of: 2 (2)

Helovian Ancient

As each equid answered his question, the turtle was most drawn to Arah's response. While the others discussed the physical ways in which they would take care of the egg, Arah mentioned something much more important. Life could be lived in a well built house or in the middle of an open field, but life could not be lived without love.

The turtle smiled. "Arah, I believe you will care for this egg well, and I do indeed hope to see you raise the companion as you do your children - with love and freedom." He stepped aside from the nest to allow her access to her new companion.

Congratulations Arah! You have received a royal griffin companion from your wishlist which will hatch in 2 weeks. Please go to the character record's updates and lets us know the name and the ability you want the companion to have.