the Rift

[OPEN] I Don't Need To Be The Hero Tonight

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
Cera
Go ahead, you're never going to take me - you can bend but you're never going to break me

Home is no longer home to the fire child. He had returned as ordered by the new mistresses of the sands he had grown up on. When the meeting had concluded he had gone to search the new boundaries that had wiped away large chunks of their border. But the oasis stood proud, and beside it, the magnolia tree. A shuddering sigh of relief ripped through him, and he moved on hesitant prancers to gaze up at the intertwined branches above him, an intricate lattice of memories. Times curled up with Midas until dawn, when his father had to depart. Most of the memories were bittersweet, for they all held that echo of temporary peace. Because even his past self knew that his father would leave him come morning once more. That he would spend the day wandering about the sands, friendless and lonely, bored for the long hours he had to wait for Midas to return to him at the end of his duties. But if sleeping could be a memory, despite him not being conscious to enjoy it, then he would count those as the good memories. At least Midas was at his side for those. But as he slept beneath those boughs once more, he awoke listless and devoid of emotions he felt he'd lost the moment he'd seen the earth go red with the blood of his father's mirage.

Standing, he awaited for Ilaria to drop from the lowest bough to his shoulders, bracing them for the impact of her body onto his. A few sharp steps were taken before plume bristled, tasting the wind, and he pushed down with all the might his body possessed. Unlike his father, who had strained to rise so abruptly with no running start, Cera was limber and thin in contrast to his father's stout, muscled form. This was what his body was made for. And it embraced the currents above like a willing disciple, thoughts becoming a comforting buzz, worries fading away under the touch of the sky. Instead, he drifted, crossing the border mindlessly, uncaring. Who would miss him? Midas was not there to realize he was gone from home any longer. A twinge ate at his heart and he grit his teeth against it. No. Midas had betrayed and abandoned him. He had cast away the land he had once sworn to never leave without bleeding across the sands in rebellion. All lies. He had turned tail faster than a traitor to claim the crown offered to him. Had he not told Ktulu he didn't want to leave the Throat, even for his love for her? Cera was disgusted by him, even if it hurt to feel such a negative emotion towards his father. Even if he had only been there at dawn and dusk, he was still his father.

So with a shuddering breath, he tilted the curve of his wings, growing paler as the seasons faded, the caramel of his youth disappearing. It was time to visit the Hidden Falls. It wouldn't be hard to find, he had been to the Windtossed Foothills countless times since he'd first met Hototo and Ktulu. A rather far journey, but he was well-rested and anxious to fly, to really feel the sun on his skin and know he was free from the damning confines of the earth below. It takes hours, the sun sliding from place, moving higher and higher. Cera had been an early riser from seasons of awakening with Midas the moment light touched the horizon. Now, he thanked it, for he would arrive near the moment when the sun would peak in the sky. For that moment however, he was content to drift on the currents beneath his wings, dreading the meeting that was sure to come in the near future.

He curled inwards, falling in a controlled spiral to the earth. Milk and honey hooves touched down on the snow, thick and muddy beneath where the wetness had erased the stability of the soil. It was barely a kiss, with how much weight he had lost in the caves, all baby fat completely gone. Even his landings had become graceful, despite how long he'd gone without flight. Taking a deep breath, insides shuddering like leaves in a gale, he began to move onward. But this was not the Foothills. He jolted at the boundaries, skin crawling at the unfamiliar scents, and bit back the habit that told him to cross it. This wasn't his second home anymore. He had to obey the laws now.

Head lifted and his voice rang out, deeper with age but just as honey thick and clover sweet as it had ever been. Ilaria dropped from his shoulder, disappearing into the undergrowth under the careful eye of her prince, dashing off to find Midas should Cera's summons not be heeded or heard. The tall youth folded his wings halfway, feeling edgy and uncomfortable on the edge of a herd that held a literal asylum of crazies. The scar across his chest, the deepest scar hidden beneath his mane where chunks had been taken from his flesh, the spiderwebbed scar down his right flank, the curved one that took up the expanse of his lower left leg. Two battles he had fought, and far more scars had been left upon him. One a fight to live, the other a fight to kill. To triumph. To destroy. And he had come out on top. They itched with a ferocity he had not felt since encountering his first wraith, knowing the insane creatures lying within. Would today be a day to go to war? Or would his father reach him first?

This is open to ALL so long as Midas posts first! Please don't be intimidated, post at will, but this thread is primarily for Midas and Cera <3 however I know IC, the borders wouldn't be unguarded, so feel free to pop in when you feel the time is right!

@[Midas]

Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
There's nothing in this world I wouldn't do.
In many ways my life had been full of choices; some of which were far removed from me… others, a conscious effort to do right in this twisted world. My greatest decision and perhaps the biggest effect on both soul and mental process had been my children. Our lives might have been very different if I’d given Cera over to a tender hearted mare who could guide his every step, for isn’t that what the females of our race did? Fan the flames of our youth, bring joy.

Maybe the pain I'd caused and been unable to thus far fix wouldn't exist.

Alas, I had lacked an unselfish spirit during that time of youthful grief.

Ktulu, had I not bedded her that night we stood in warm embrace. I’d never come to know Hototo or precious Ranjiri. All those memories we shared, playing our Tallsun days away as a family by the ocean—and sleeping beneath the dawn and rising to greet a hot musk of sand. It was those quiet moments that I often returned to in dreams. Happy times that weren’t filled with darkness and despair. Bitterness and the sting of betrayal.

I stared out over my new home with a forlorn expression. My true family was miles away…pain spawned, crying out for its constant loss. I'd become a loner surrounded by those that adored my strength and leadership.

Now more than ever, I stood truly alone.

If such didn't change, wisdom knew that it would eventually kill me; for what purpose did a warrior draw his strength if not from a family? Like a virus racing through my body, it would start slow, sap energy and the will of mind.

Wings rose to halfmast, arched high and tense. I stood on a stone in the middle of a coursing waterfall, droplets of freezing moisture splashed all around my legs—but I barely noticed the cold. His cry came to my ears, familiar and shocking beautiful. I started as if waking from a dream. The voice was not a youthful child, but a growing stallion. Fina flew in the lower valleys and also heard his summons, she dipped down and slipped with increasing speed toward the hidden entrance of our valley.

Hindquarters pushed my body over the edge and I had a moment of complete weightlessness as the wind took hold of feathers and filled them to carry my frame forward. Arcing gracefully I soared down and slipped toward the mountain path, moving past the water to greet my son who stood just beyond the border.

He came into view and a smile grew across muzzle, Cera had grown into a handsome man. Gone was the gangly legs of his childhood and thickened chest fluffed with layers upon layers of insulated baby fat. What once was a small, wide eyed colt; now stood as an elegant individual. Fina had beat me of course, and was singing merrily in the trees by the time I’d gathered myself for a smooth landing.

Gold dipped feathers fell alongside barrel, sliding gently against fur. “Welcome son, it lifts my heart to see ye.” Patched legs moved to close the distance between us. “How fairs thee?” My gaze is soft but tired, strained almost—a visible sign of stress.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera
Go ahead, you're never going to take me - you can bend but you're never going to break me

Time ticks by, and it feels to Cera like sap, slow and tedious and unbearably sticky as it goes on. Being here does not make him comfortable. These aren't the lands he knew so well, had met with his siblings so many times. The members had changed, the leadership had changed, everything had changed. Even he had. But it didn't mean he had to like it. So he stood on the borders, tense and awkward, frame stiff and uncooperative. Waiting. Always waiting. Waiting for his father to come back to him, as the sun slipped down from the sky, leaving him cold and lonely. Waiting for a friend, a chance, a mentor who would not abandon him. Constantly waiting. He is uncomfortable in a very profound way, at the borders of a home that is no longer known to him, waiting for a father who is similarly unknown. Cera has grown to adulthood, and even still, he feels as if Midas is miles away from him. Unreachable. That the fire child is forever running after his retreating form, begging him to stay, only to be left in solitude for the next uncountable day. Always left reaching.

At least in the end he had learned patience.

And it pays off, watching the golden bird come soaring towards him, her song too distant to be heard in more than dulcet tones. But it calms him, to a degree, breath leaving him in a shudder as he forcibly tries to relax his muscles against the tension that electrifies them. Where Fina goes, Midas follows. Now it is only a period of waiting, one that Cera can nearly time down to the last second with how well he knows the distance between Fina and Midas. Ilaria, gallivanting amongst the foliage, hears the call of her bonded in her head, turning with a flick of her tail and running back on quiet paws. Midas beats her to it, but she sees him before his son does, and in jumbled pictures interrupted by leaves and various impediments, he sees his father coming towards him. His heart skips a few beats and he wonders how he should feel. Everything is a jumble inside of him that he can't find the beginning or end to. It was hopeless to even try to untangle the ball that had formed in his chest. Cera no longer bothered to try.

Ilaria reaches him first, in the end. She curls round his ankle to prevent him from moving, knowing if she does not he would be tempted to turn and run from this encounter, from the words on his tongue he so desperately wanted to say, but feared to, for they may kill what little relationship remained between him and the painted stallion. Fina comes next, and though he is not bonded to her, he loves her so fiercely it aches. She consumes him in her fire, warms his body with the coals of her affection, and it is in her that he finds his childhood. It was she who watched over him day and night, singing him to sleep when terrors clutched in in the thick of twilight and Midas was away. It was she who called for his father when he could not stand his own reflection. His emotions were hers to understand. There would always be a love between them, as fierce as the flames that made her the phoenix she was. And her song was as familiar to him as his own words, and he could recite each note for every emotion in his sleep, so often had he heard them. Love transcended all bonds, even those forged by the gods, and Cera was not blind to that.

But where Fina goes, Midas follows, and the brute comes swiftly down from the heavens with a look of age upon his face that Cera does not find foreign. Saddening but truthful, as his father has been old since his title as General had been drawn from Kri's mouth. Cera's ear flicks, concealing his hurt with ease borne of solitude in life when Midas does not move to embrace him. Perhaps Cera is too old now, for such comforts. Inwardly he chides himself for wanting them. He has always been a creature of touch, of affection and fleeting nudges, and to be denied it is to steal a part of his soul away. But he is a stallion now, he cannot indulge in such activities. Not if he plans to follow in Gaucho's steps, to uphold his name and valor as a soldier, to bring the light of his Lord to fall upon his enemies in the name of prayer and loyalty. He must be strong as the earth below and fierce as the flames of the solar above. So he must let it go from his life.

"How fairs thee?"

Cera grits his teeth and tries not to let himself burst at the seams. He had practiced this speech, so why does it now fail him? But he clears his throat and finds his tongue, speaking slowly, emeralds never wavering from Midas' face. "I don't know anymore, Father." Honesty, at least, is the best way to start. Slowly his gaze drifts up to the heavens, taking strength in the guiding light that warmed his back, reminded of the kindly nature of his Lord. "Courage is important," he had spoken, and so Cera would take those words, gifted to him personally from a deity so far above him, and he would follow in Onni's path. He would take the path of light and sincerity. He would not falter. He owed that much to his Lord for the quest he had been granted. "The God of Light has given me a quest for magic. He has set me on the path I've always wanted. The Throat has been, and forever will be, my home." Throat convulsed in a swallow he felt like he was choking on.

"Father...please tell me. Why did you lie to me? Why did you say you would never leave the Dragon's Throat willingly, to abandon me by turning to the side that helped invade us and our brethren?" His ferocity dies down, for it had spiked in his words, and suddenly he is that lost babe again, helpless and forlorn. "You left the magnolia, the oasis, the beaches and the cliffs. You left me." Oh how it would hurt, to know Midas would miss the former instead of the latter, for the sentence that bubbled in his chest would have to reveal such matters. "You left me, and our home, for the one you refused to go to when Ktulu, Hototo, and Ranjiri lived here. So why now? Why?" And his injustice hurts so badly, like searing metal branding him with the mark of a loner, forever driving those away whom he only wanted to keep and cherish.

"Why is it always them? Why am I always second best? I am no son of a God. I am no beautiful, kind-hearted, perfect filly. I am no leader of a herd, no powerful wielder of magic!" And his cry is sharp, like broken glass, and it cuts his throat as he yells them because it hurts him as much as it is sure to hurt Midas. Years worth of broken glass. It was time to either try to repair it, or to sweep the shards away forever. "I am nothing in comparison. Is that why you find it so easy to abandon me, merely for the title of Leader?" And disgust and defeat are so strong in his lyrics he can taste them, sour and desperate on his tongue, and he hates them. He hates them, but he cannot handle keeping them inside any longer, for they will kill him with their poison if he tries to be a good son any longer.

@[Midas]
Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s

Gazing upon him, my heart swelled with unmeasurable pride and affection. My son had grown into a fine creature—tall and athletic. His beautiful body had flowered into sheen's of muscles that replaced everything once thought babyish. A father couldn’t be more proud of his child; and to witness the development of gangly youth, there was no greater joy. No matter what sins he committed, or treason was uttered, a parent would find little fault. Where there was sin, an excuse would be made, a blind explanation for the injustice that our spawn croaked so willingly.

I moved not to embrace him tenderly as I might have, out of respect and the hint of a warning that could be witnessed behind those untrained eyes. Did he think me ignorant to not read the signs he so carefully laid in place? Especially since I’d worn such a mask around those that had been spared truth. Cera found his voice, an omission that slowly lowers my smile from face and drains these tired eyes of light.

He spoke out, speaking of the Throat and a God who had never been my father’s patron. His words are like a lash, ivory sunlit feathers tighten and unbid both ears slice back. Somewhere Fina stops singing and falls dead silent. Cera needed this, to bite, to understand. He desperately needed these answers, so much so I feared that the act of asking them would send his body shattering to pieces before my eyes. And what of my answer?

If the words didn’t suit his needs did I stand the chance at losing yet another special individual simply out of trying to do what was right?
My gaze holds him unwaveringly, staring at the ugly truth that had become his disease. Why did he always seem angry with me? And I the constant explainer…

“Cera,” I tried gently, faltering and forced to pause as he pressures on. Rising in volume and getting more frantic with each passing beat. With hushed note, my voice rises as the child of light finishes speaking. “Cera.” There is a fresh edge of pain and betrayal shortening breath and deepening this voice, “Is this what ye truly believes? Does thee think so little of my affection and love to think I’d simply abandon my kin to go lie in a bed full of vipers and wolves without due cause?” tone grows hauntingly quiet in the end, yet finishes strong in its mark. He didn’t trust me. He didn’t believe me.

Without waiting for an answer I pressed on,“When have I ever lied to ye?” Fina chirps sharply in the trees, feeling my hurt swell into a mixture of anger, even if it is unseen, “Listen, I beg, listen well.” Tone rises, deepening again and offering no quarter for him to interrupt, “The god of Earth came to me in palaver during the illness that plagued this land, and it is he who has tied me to the earth your feet stands on. The god of Sun has chosen newblood to lead the Throat. I wasn’t among his pick.”

“Would ye have me forsake the god of my father’s when he calls a change in path?” A question that couldn’t be answered by him, “What was I supposed to say!?” teeth clinch together, swallowing the bitter bile of frustration that swells past my walls. Frustration for this situation, frustration for nobody understanding or even caring to stick around long enough to understand, frustration that honor called me away from home countless times again and again.

It takes a moment for my breath to gather again, and words to flow without the sting I felt singing through my blood, “I was not born from the loins of a god. My parents were simple folk, soldiers for Dragon’s Throat.” I never talked about my parents much to Cera; mostly because there was hardly anything to tell—I only remembered a few sparse stories that Ma used to sooth me with, “Right before my first Orangemoon they went to battle and died among the blood and rot.” My voice breaks off as memory replays the night that returning warriors trumpeted victory, forgetting that a fragile soul stood on the edge of their sand—there was no joy in my heart for their war. Only the numb tears of a colt as his parents’ names were called from the list of those that had gave their life for the benefit of others.

Words came slowly and quietly, smoldering, “I found them afterwards. Or…what remained—and later buried them in that field.” Eyes lowered, teeth loosened their hold, “There was nobody to guide my steps. I was an orphan, sent to drift among the reeds of life as fate willed. Only by the sweat of brow and toil did my skill as a warrior prove useful despite a disadvantage in size; there was no gods to aid in these first few years of finding, nor was there words of wisdom coming from trusted kin.” The child that had existed back in those tender months was forever gone and with it the pain of a night spent in sorrow beside the remains of my family.

Children had been cruel during my apprenticeship, they teased that small size would never amount to much—and that I should be thankful for parents who received death in battle. They boasted without knowledge of the words, and rattled idle phrases without truly understanding their meaning. In the meantime I sealed ears to ignore their taunts and trained until the majority of flesh was covered in bruises and cuts.

“There is nothing that can’t be done. If you’d only set mind to task.”

Cera

There is a curse to fatherhood that Cera cannot understand. But he is aware that Midas knows his inflections too well not to catch the meaning of his posture, the aura that radiates off him like toxic waves. Says nothing, knows there is no need to point it out as the two take in the sight of one another. Time has changed them, drawing weariness upon his father's shoulders like a shawl, unwanted by dutifully accepted. Cera has a taste of duty now, of rigidity and the comfort of knowing things must be done. But his heart is still free and wild, and in his eyes there is fire that had been smoldering and growing with every passing season. Rules do not bind him as they do his father. His position is not of importance, the rules that govern him are slack in comparison. But there is to be no more time for nostalgia and awareness of the passage of time, stamped onto their bodies like glaring signs to one another. Like a changed note in a favorite tune, it is glaringly obvious to them, yet subtle and nigh unnoticeable to those who had not reveled in its sounds all their life.

Harks fall back and Cera knows, in that moment, that his father has taken his words in a way he had not intended. Sighing softly in his throat he let his gaze fall instead to his fathers muzzle, knowing the words that would come would not be what he'd wanted. His anger was not at Midas, but at the situation. But like a flame he burned all he touched in his anger, even when his intentions had been only to warm. So instead he listens, does not allow the anger of his father's voice to touch his own emotions, for if he does they will end this meeting screaming like foals at odds with one another. Emeralds flick upward to meet gold, silent as a grave, when Midas lashes out, demanding his answers that he would not give. Frustration has no hold on him now. The sickness had changed him, and there was nothing to do but stare and await his time to speak. He would not compete with frustration to have his own thoughts heard.

Finally it is his time to speak. He considers his words carefully, not desiring another misunderstanding, and speaks slowly and with purpose in the depths of new ranges his voice has only now adjusted to.

"I do not think little of your love, father. But my doubt is not unwarranted. To me, I only knew that you had abandoned not only our herd but I as well. I came here for answers. Not for war." And oh he is old, he feels weary with the weight of wisdom he doesn't desire. But his words are calm, even if they are sorrowfully devoid of much emotion, his own too tangled and dead to understand at that point in time. "You have not before, and so to lie and say you would remain in the Throat before this plague began, it was hard for me to understand." Midas had never lied to him, Cera would admit that both proudly and reluctantly all at once. So to feel like he was lied to was an arrow of anger to his heart when it had occurred.

"Your allegiance is not mine. I can't tell you what you should have said. Gaucho denied his title from the Sun God. If the Lord places you here, then so be it." The finality of his words hurts him, but only a twitch of his cheek is allowed to show. Is this their parting? "I merely wish you would have had the courage to leave the Throat when your family wished it of you, only to listen when a God demanded. I cannot help but feel anger, to know I could have been with Hototo and Ranjiri, instead of alone upon those sands." Anger is missing from his statement, instead there is defeat and acceptance. He cannot change the past now, so there is no need to be angry, and even if there was a minor right to the emotion he would not take it if it warranted a fight between them.

Jaw worked momentarily at his father's ending words, shuttering his eyes briefly and drawing breath into his lungs to calm himself. "I cannot set mind to task to be half-god, father. I cannot set mind to task to be beautiful and effervescent, beloved by all I meet. There is only what I can do with the flesh I have been given. But a valiant, experienced soldier will never amount to a naturally perfect being. Do not insult me so," and his voice trembled with emotion at the end, anger and sorrow shaking him, the only words to hold those emotions since he had begun speaking.

@[Midas]
Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
My frustration couldn’t be smothered entirely—I'd been trying feverously to make everyone happy, and ended up appeasing nobody. The volume of bitching and complaining had increased tenfold. “I didn’t want leave,” voice quaked quietly, “I’ve only tried to do what was best…”

He was angry and bitter for being left alone for so many moons—but it wasn’t possible to respin the hands of fate in a manner that would correct his grief. My child had been through so much, and seen to many horrible things; his gentle soul had been twisted beyond recognition. “I couldn’t leave with Ktulu asked it of me,” would my abandonment of home changed our relationship? Nay, destiny would have finished its bid regardless of my choice, a prolonged death was still a death.

“Why does ye desire to stand as a half-god? What makes ye so unsatisfied?” He’d always had a lack in confidence when the topic of appearance came up; those emotions befuddled me—I’d always been satisfied in my skin, even when it was tight and beaten to a pulp. To yearn forcibly for something more than yourself had surely led to a lack of fulfillment. “I love thee as ye stands.” Tone had softened, and though my face was still strained I raised eyes to meet bright emeralds. This was a chance to move past our precedent failures; to rise as a phoenix from the ashes. “I’m scared Cera…everyone I’ve loved—has left me to fight alone, and I know I’m not the perfect father ye deserved, nor was I around during many hours of your childhood.”