the Rift

[OPEN] The Color of Kinship

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie
He’d gone out from his home in search of flowers, hoping that some of the late winter blooms were rushing ahead towards spring and would be waiting for him to gather and encase into glass. Little enthusiasm as he has shown in the past for movement or doing much of anything, the stallion is alive and moving quickly, his head raised and his step bouncy and full of a vivacity given to him by a simple new rank and a magical power that he had once admired almost covetously from alongside his teacher.

It was for her that he ventured, now. His mind had birthed an image of a harness that would look delightful against the dual tones of her pelt, if only he could find the flowers that it would require.

He didn’t even dare to think on how to get the gemstones. He’d already seen what he had to get through to get those.

If nothing else, he can begin work on the harness itself if he cannot find any flowers, as he is sure warmth and the lure of the sun is just around the corner, arriving to bring forth the myriad hues of the sunshine seasons. Perhaps this is why he truly wants the blooms for the present he is to make his now Queen and former tutor, for they follow the sun, and if anyone is made of sunlight it is Kahlua.

For now, he settles on that they are pretty, and will look nice suspended eternally in the silica.

Arriving the meadow at around noon, judging by the position of the sun, he immediately spots colors along the golden colors of the grasses and sets to work collecting them; he’s not really sure how many he’ll need for the thing but plans on filling his mouth as full as he can get it and then returning home to begin the tedious and tiring endeavor of crafting his first piece for the woman who had taught him how to do so.

@[Ranjiri]
Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri

I don't think I've ever felt so ashamed of myself, Momma. I tried so hard to hurt Daddy with my words and I wish that I could say that I didn't mean everything I said. I wish I could blame it on whatever disease had taken hold of my mind and body, but I don't think that I can, just like I can't put the full blame on the darkness for what I had said to Roskuld. Part of me does blame Daddy for you and him not being together anymore because he didn't want to live with us when you were the Chieftess. Then it became obvious that he wouldn't when he became Sultan. Part of me blames you, too, Momma. You're both so stubborn its infuriating. Anyways, I had never intended to tell Daddy the things I had told him when I wasn't myself. But I did. I even attacked him physically. I haven't looked at him or visited him since he helped to heal me. I'm afraid that he's angry with me, or hurt, or just doesn't want to see me. I haven't been to see Ros, either for the same reasons. I don't want to be rejected by either of them so its just easier to avoid them.

I've actually avoided everyone since the darkness left and the light came back. It guess I really am a coward because I'd rather be alone than have to face anyone I wronged when I was sick. Its so much easier to just be alone and wallow in self hatred than to try to apologize, be rejected, then wallow in more self hatred and pity. You probably think I'm jumping to conclusions, Momma, but you didn't hear what I said to them.

My wandering's brought me to the Heavenly Field and for the first time since I fled the sanctuary I'm not alone. There's another here in the field with me and unfortunately I do recognize him from a time when Ros and I were together. Before I was so ugly to her and she attacked me with lightning. Just thinking about it makes my scarred shoulder twitched and I wince at how I imagine it would hurt. I guess that was the only good thing about being infected. I didn't feel it when she attacked me. I only wanted to kill her. I watched him for a few minutes while he picked flowers and when I felt that he was oblivious to my presence I let myself graze on the yellowing grass.

I wish you were here with me, Momma instead of being wherever you are and doing whatever you're doing, but at the same time I know you wouldn't give me the comfort I want.

@[Dragomir]

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie
A familiar scent catches his attention, one that seems to always be outside the range of his vision until he seeks her out. The last time, she had not been alone, as she is now; he lifts his head from his dutiful plucking of blooms to find her there in the distance, lonely and grazing on the bleak looking grasses that remain in the snow and the wake of darkness. He wonders where her friend is, the muscular bitch with the loud mouth and loose temper, as she seems to be no where near; he remembers that the girl had said she was of the Dragon’s Throat, but the other had said nothing as to where she had come or was going home to. It was possible that they did not live together, at least not outside of their hearts; Dragomir could understand this notion. His family lived far away, but was never more than a second’s pause away should he bring them forward in his thoughts.

He is drawn towards her by his obligations to honor, a black feather tied in his tail alongside a pine branch that were united in more ways than just decoration on the tall, quickly developing stag; they had both seen the wraiths, one defending him from the first in the simple task of assistance and the other shielding him from the onslaught of a secondary, horrific devil. He is sure the feather belongs to her, Ranjiri of the Dragon’s Throat; she is the only creature with black and gold plumes that he has encountered in this land, and while it is possible they are not hers, it is equally so that they are.

He cannot bare the not knowing, the possibility that he carries a gift from a woman who would rather he not have it. He is an odd creature, our Dragomir, and while he is as disgusted by the sight of her disfigurements as he has always been, the soft place in his heart has broadened, and he is learning to accept people as Mirage had hoped he would, that long ago afternoon when he had first met the black queen and her perspective on life.

Ranjiri, for all her physical flaws, seemed to be a good girl, with a good nature; she had defended her brutish friend, after all, something Dragomir hoped one of his acquaintances would do for him should he find himself stressed beyond his social means. He would do what he could to ease the strain of life upon her, if he could, for the simple fact that she did it for others; either way, she had never done him or his friends any evil, and so he would try to be kind to those he had a natural desire to avoid.

"Wanjiwi?" muffled, her name falls from his lips from around the bundle of flowers he has collected, the young man cursing himself as he realizes his faux pas and lowers them to the earth, ears splayed along either side of his simple features in dismay of self. There is no skill contained in his repertoire to hide the gleam of relief in his face to know that she did not die, as he had feared when he had first seen the feathers, or the way they lose their glimmer as he takes note of the sad way her shoulders and wings droop alongside her. This was not the same mare he had encountered trading gifts; she had not been so morose. "Is everything alright?"

Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Ranjiri

"Wanjiwi?"

I can feel my heart sink into my stomach and the overwhelming disappointment I feel at being recognized leaves me almost on the verge of tears. I don't want anyone to see me, Momma. I don't want to be noticed, I just want to be a shadow that everyone ignores because shadows don't hurt anyone. Shadows don't talk, they don't feel, they're nothing and that's what I want to be. Nothing. I thought that maybe if I ignored him and continued grazing that he would go away, but my luck has never been that good. Instead he asked me if I was okay and at that point I was forced to look up and meet his gaze.

I swallowed thickly and my gaze fell to the ground. "Yes." My voice was quiet as I told the lie. I remember thinking that he wouldn't be able to tell. He didn't know me well enough to know when I was lying and when I wasn't, but it wouldn't take a genius to figure it out when I wouldn't meet his gaze for more than a few seconds and not at all when the lies were tumbling past my lips. "Perfectly fine. Never been better." I couldn't stop and I bit down on my tongue so I wouldn't continue to lie to the first one that seemed to show a hint of concern for my well being.

I knew I needed to change the subject and desperately wanted to. So I forced myself to look up and search for anything that would draw his attention away from me. In my desperation I looked to the sky and the minute I said the words I wanted to scoop them back up and swallow them whole. "The sun is bright today." I'm an idiot, I know.

@[Dragomir]

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie
She’s lying, he thinks to himself after she finally responds to him, her features most immediately returning to the grass as he asks her if all is well. He won’t press it; he himself knows how it is to feel miserly, and that the last thing on the mind of those in emotional turmoil is to discuss the decibel levels of their inner waves. She is young, and so that leaves him with an excess of wonderment as to why such a youthful creature is so full of sorrow on such a fine afternoon, but he simply looks at her with his soft blue eyes, letting her think she has fooled him.

”The sun is bright today,” she says, and he smiles warmly in response, trying to meet her eyes with his own though he still feels a slight recoiling of his soul as he spies the horn and the shadow of her wings behind her. It is the least he can do, truly, to be an wall to lean on, even if the creature he seeks to aide is unworthy of his time or efforts. Its not as if he will ever seek to possess the gold and black mare as one of his women, for she is not properly gened for such things, or that he owes her his friendship for sharing the herd land with him, as she was not of the Edge.

It was a warm shawl to wrap his cold soul in, to stand and provide help wherever he saw it was needed. It was a way for him to recompense for the wrongs he had committed upon Shadow, the dark lies that wormed through his heart about what made a great man over just an ordinary one. He wanted to be great. He truly did.

"It is spring," he says, an equally useless tidbit to the conversation, taking the time after his words to search her wings for missing pinions where he believed the feather he possessed and the others he had helped the wraith with to have come. Sure enough, there are gaps in her gleaming plumes, and he pauses to pivot his head around to his tail, grasping the feather and ripping the strands that hold it in place from their beds.

It stings, but he hopes that the pain will end there; surely, he is not wrong in assuming that this is hers.

"Dis is yours," he says, dropping the feather before her and atop his collection of flowers and stepping back a pace, "I got it from a wraith, after I figured the feathers belonged to you." He wonders what use it will be other than to ease the weight of his worries that he shouldn’t have it; he’s pretty sure that pegasi cannot simply stick a pulled feather back into the hole it had come from and everything be fine, but he’s also not entirely positive that this is the case, either. If nothing else, perhaps it would bring some cheer back to her face, to know that she had been remembered and thought of, even worried over for a time.

"I’m glad you’re not dead," he adds as an afterthought, unsure why he had felt the need to say them or why they have left him feeling awkward and half nude in front of the girl, pale gaze flitting away from her to watch the grass tumble beneath the gentle kiss of the wind. It was true, though; he had worried that something horrible had befallen the gold and ebony child, that her surly friend would boundlessly be punched in the jaw at the threshold of other lands for her snappy mouth without Ranjiri around to assure she didn’t get herself in too much trouble with her words.

The boy is odd, in such ways; he finds great value in such friendships, and he wishes he had more of his own on days he is not hiding from the myriad faces of Helovia.

@[Ranjiri]
Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Ranjiri

"Its spring."

At least he didn't laugh at me and point out that my comment about the sun was completely stupid. When was the sun not bright? Rather than entertain him with more useless observations and information that he already knew I just shrugged my shoulders and continued to stare at the ground. Maybe if I stared hard enough the ground would open up and swallow me up and save me from having to talk to someone I might have hurt and didn't remember doing it. I didn't even know why he was talking to me in the first place, it wasn't like we were actual friends. He had just happened upon me and Roskuld exchanging gifts on the outskirts of his home. I swallowed the tears that stung my eyes when I thought of her and his voice made me look up again, though reluctantly.

My feather....

He has my feather. Why?

"How...?" I don't even know what to say. Did I attack him and he took it from me? I can't remember if I even had feathers when the darkness had me. I stared down at the feather, feeling sick to my stomach and then he said he got it from a wraith and I looked up again. So he wanted to return my feather to me? It was a kind gesture, though somewhat strange. What would I do with it? The ones I lost would grow back.

"I'm glad you're not dead."

Its funny how I found myself wishing sometimes that I was dead only to hear from someone who is little more than a total stranger that he's glad that I'm not. Its so strange, Momma.

I choked back a sob and ducked my head down to wipe my eyes against my forelegs. I just wished that I could go back and change what happened because I don't like hurting anyone and I hurt so many horses. "Thank you." I finally whispered and picked the feather up gently between my teeth. I didn't want it, though. I had so many more feathers and that one would be replaced by a new one. So I stepped toward him hesitantly and attempted to tuck the feather into his mane near his withers so if he decided he didn't want it he could take it out and throw it away. "You can keep it if you want it.... it looks better on you, anyway."

@[Dragomir]

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie
The look that crosses her face, the one of horror, of self loathing, of trepidation, flickers past his naïve eyes, read only as a hesitation that he has touched one of her things. For a moment, he himself is filled with the same fear that floods Ranjiri as she wonders if she has hurt him in her time of darkness, one that digs claws into his weak spots and whispers that he is being rejected. He is not wanted. She can see him for what he is and she will have none of his smut, his foolish logic; he is only a man she once met in the borders of a home and shared brief words with, one that she has marked off as a waste of time.

Her quietness is explained, quite suddenly, why it is she stood so far away from him and hadn’t bothered to call out his name as he had hers.

Why does it hurt so bad? She’s not even worth the worry he’s spared on her, not by the laws he’d been fed for the young years of his life, and he barely knows her at all.

But she meets his eyes again, still not rebuking him entirely though she seems as if she’d rather he went away. Meekly, he tells her that he’s glad she’s alive, words that don’t really seem to mean much in the wake of his newfound knowledge that she finds him appalling, and after a moment of silence, he is stunned again, his mind reeling into an entirely different direction.

Such a strange sound has come from the throat of the girl, almost as if the grass she halfheartedly grazed on had wadded into a tight ball and attempted to strangle her, and her face darts down to her knees, her tear ducts rubbed vigorously on her gold coated knees.

Suddenly, he understands; his heart is flooded with a sensation like pity, a feeling that clicks all the parts into place as she whispers her thank you and reaches to grab the feather from the ground.

Ranjiri had become the darkness. She hadn’t been disgusted with him for having her feather at all; she had been disgusted with herself, worried that he’d earned them while fighting for his life. His frown grows deep and morose, thoughts trailing to the branch knitted into his tail, regret that he had been given such an object while kind girls such as Ranjiri had been forced to face the beasts without help in sight, and its suddenly to hard to look at her.

He stares away, out into the horizon, his own tears biting into his eyes as he thinks of all the others who had fallen because life had blessed him with protection over them. Mirage, he thinks, softly, sadly, wondering where she was and how it had come to pass that his beloved Queen had been taken from them when she was so loved; how had they let her fall? And what of Lace, Semira, Smoke, Destrier, Mesec; so many that had not been seen or heard of since the break of darkness, so many that his heart mourned for though he never truly knew them at all.

They were his family. He knew that they would have mourned for him, too.

Closing his lids tightly over his sights, he is pulled back into reality by the gentle touch of lips on his withers. Opening his blue eyes and pivoting his face to see the black feather returned to his dark hair, he smiles despite his sadness in light of her words. "Gladly," he grins, mildly embarrassed by the compliment knit into her wording, slipping into his awkward silence as he looks at the black and gold lass.

After a moment, he tilts his head to the side, a thought having tugged at his consciousness, crystalline eyes glimmering deeply. "Whatever happened since we last met," he says with his deep voice, the bass rugged and bottomless, "whatever you did… it hasn’t changed you in ways that you are not letting it. You are still Ranjiri, as I remember you." Reaching over with a dark rimmed muzzle to offer her a comforting nudge along the ridge her cheeks, her breathes in softly the way she smells, confirming his words even as he speaks them. "I did something really bad, once," he says, not sure why he’s chosen her of all the horses in the world to talk about this with, "no one knows about it. The only other ones who did… well I’m sure they're both dead now.”

He knows Shadow is dead, he saw it himself, and he hasn’t seen hide or hair Ricochet since that long ago afternoon at the wall. It can only mean one thing, considering the darkness; he wasn’t so naïve as to deny the effects of disaster.

"I know the weight you carry on your heart."

He sighs, breaking his eye contact with her, staring hard at the flowers in the grass.

"It’s too heavy to carry forever."

@[Ranjiri]
Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Ranjiri

He couldn't even look at me anymore, Momma, and I couldn't help but wonder if he had figured it out. I had become something so disgusting that I could't even fathom it. I was weak and unable to fight off the plague that had tainted my body, my blood, my heart. Not even my soul had been untouched and it hurt to wonder why it had been me that had been tainted and not Roskuld, who was so smart-mouthed she was bound to make enemies with everyone she met. Why had it not been daddy? Why me? What had I done to deserve it? It hurt to wonder and think that others had been more deserving of a curse than I...

I hate myself for it.

The frown on his face and the way he stared out into the distance made me want to disappear and not disgrace him with my unworthy presence. That had to be it, right? I had been chosen because I was unworthy of being pure? I know I'll never have the answer to why and I'll never understand but I'll never stop wondering and trying to, Momma. As much as I wanted to give in and take to the sky and fly away as fast as I could I didn't. Instead I picked the feather up and tucked it into his mane and was surprised nd relieved when he 'gladly' accepted my feather. I had kind of expected for him to say he didn't want it and that was why he returned it.

When the feather was secure I stepped back, stared at it for a moment, then let my eyes fall to the ground again. I didn't know what else to do. I didn't know what to say. Maybe he would grow bored of my silence just go away. I deserved to be alone, anyway, so I wouldn't hold it against him if he did.

Instead of leaving he spoke to me and with each word he said tears welled in my eyes and spilled over when I felt his muzzle touch against my cheek. But he didn't know. He didn't know how I had hurt my family. My family was all I had, I didn't have any friends that I could call my own. I squeezed my eyes shut to try and stem the flow of tears, but they were endless and pushed their way through and left me a simpering, crying mess in front of a stallion that I barely knew. Through my sobbing I could hear him, and though he didn't go into specifics it was ... nice to know that someone else carried a heavy burden.

"I .. I tried to kill them." I whispered. How badly would he hate me if he knew that I was the one that attacked Kahlua in the World's Edge and changed her into a monster? "I d-did everyth-thing I c-could to hurt them. I h-h-hated them!" My heart broke into a million different pieces to admit that I had hated my family, but I did. "I couldn't s-stop it. I couldn't... I watched. I saw their f-faces. I-I heard th-heir voices. But.. I couldn't stop it... because I'm weak. Useless." You must be so disappointed to have me as a daughter, Momma.

Moments passed and I said nothing more and I didn't want to, but Dragomir had shared something with me that he hadn't shared with anyone else. "What did you do?" My voice came out as a whisper and I failed to meet his gaze, afraid of the judgement and disgust that I might see there.

@[Dragomir]

"."

ooc:// i kinda love you and this thread <3
Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie
All his attempts to ease her pain only seemed to agitate it, turning what had been quiet tears into an endless, tumultuous river of sobs. Each wracking noise that broke from her lips drew a twinge from her heart, a mental curse or call to the Gods for having misguided him so despairingly as they had in this instance. His simple touch of comfort bloomed into many, dozens of hovering attempts to repeat the gesture, recalled at the last instant for fear that he might aggravate the sobbing worse with the touch as he had before, his chest tightening with anxiety that he had botched the conversation this badly.

Until she starts speaking, so softly at first that he has to lean in slightly to hear her, ears cupped and poised to catch each self condemning word that came from her lips.

His frown deepens, expands, grows more troubled with each tumbling word, his heart twisted in the midst of the gears of her sorrow and the terror he had watched ravage the land. It was not her fault, but how could he explain that? Even as her words tumbled from her frantically emotional lips he could hear the reasons that excused her of guilt lining that which she framed herself with, and he’d seen enough of the demons to know that they were ravenous and without the normal mental capacity of the living.

Poor Ranjiri, young and afraid as he had been the months following the disaster in the Grove, but it lightens the weight of the situation to know that he could be here for her, even he had been forced to learn how to accept what had come to pass on his own.

"If you are weak, then so are all the others who fell to the sickness," he says, evenly despite how uncomfortable and frazzled he feels while consoling a depressed preteen, struggling with his mind and body which hint that maybe he should quietly step back out of the situation while he still can, "the weakest of them your family, who have not come to find their spiritually wounded daughter, to tell her that she is still loved, leaving her to cry in a meadow all alone. I find none of those who became sick weak in the least, however." He pauses for a split second, snorting into the air with agitation as she rounds out his argument; "It befell too many of us too quickly for them to believe it was truly you who attacked them or that there was a defense you might have applied against the plague, and if they are too daft to know better… well. You’re better off with no family at all if they so quickly discard their faith in you."

Even for all the shortcomings of his father and the naïve, gentle guidance of his mother, he believed with all of his heart that true family did not so quickly adopt hate in the place of love when so much logic deduced that the member in question had done no wrong. His hoof stamps beneath him in his stress and angst, becoming more and more riled the longer he wonders how long it is Ranjiri has wandered and cried, broken and alone, while her family sits safe somewhere.

All the girl wants is to know that they still want her. It’s sickening to him, to think that she’s been left to her own means for so long that she’s breaking down so completely in front of a mostly strange stallion in a wild land rather than before those she feels she has wronged in her home. He’s getting madder and madder as the silence stretches until…

”What did you do?”

His rage instantly is doused in ice, his heart locking up and his features turning towards her with such trepidation lining his face as he tries to find where to begin, lowering the volume of his voice in hopes that only Ranjiri might hear them. "I almost killed a woman, with someone else," he says, the words like dry cotton stuck to his throat and tongue, a swooning rush of blood pressing into every nook and cranny of his brain, "I had a reason at the time. It seems stupid now. She had wings and had been spying; I was afraid she would tell someone what she had heard and I was so young and lonely, new to Helovia and my herd in the Edge. I thought… I thought the man there with me might have been my friend."

"He called us to battle once his dog found her hiding nearby. We broke her wings, her ribs. I’m pretty sure she snapped her leg trying to get away. I… I was moving in to…" his eyes push shut, the scene replaying in his head, the damp black earth beneath her body, the way she’d look at him with those eyes of horror as he swept in towards her, hooves aimed to crush and kill. He feels physically sick again, reliving it so vividly, repeating the dark deeds of his soul. "Another mare came, and saved her."

Slowly, his own tears slip from the corner of his eyes as he looks down at his hooves, unable to look at the girl standing with him anymore because he knows that he could have done the same to her had she been there instead of Shadow. "Her name was Shadow, of Dragon’s Throat. She… she died, during the darkness. I saw it. I never got to say sorry."

Died, with her son looking on; he wonders if Ranjiri has thought of such things, that she or those she loves might not live for her apology, if they even wanted one. He wonders if she has ever seen death and quickly decides no, for why else would she be so devastated over something a curse had invoked within her? It then leads him to question even harder why it is he has shared this story with a girl who could not understand his pain, a story that he had held to him in silence for nearly a year; that Ranjiri could see through the hole in his heart made him want to vanish into a ball of nothingness. Nervously he glances about him to make sure that no one has come to catch what he’s talking about against his will; its not like either Ricochet or Shadow could testify against or for him in a trial, both were dead, but he did want to have the freedom to chose who he attempted to heal his soul with, whether the balm was silence or a pretty hybrid filly.

@[Ranjiri]
Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Ranjiri

"If you are weak then so are all the others who fell to the sickness."

I had been so hard on myself for what I had done while the sickness had been in control I hadn't thought about anyone else who had suffered as I had. It only made me feel selfish and I began to cry harder, hiccuping and sobbing almost uncontrollably as he spoke of my family being weak for not trying to find me and console me. He didn't understand, though. I didn't want them to find me. I wanted to remain hidden for as long as I could because I'm just so ashamed of myself. But maybe he was right about one thing. Maybe they would know that it hadn't been me. Maybe they would know that I hadn't been able to control it and that the things I said weren't things that I wanted to say. I cannot, in all honesty, deny that I felt them and thought them at one point. It just took something taking over my body and mind for the ugliness to spill past my lips. I think what scares me the most is that daddy will understand that and that he'll be disappointed in me for even thinking it to myself.

I continued to wipe my eyes on my forelegs as he answered my question and I'll admit that I felt shock at his confession. I lifted my head and looked at him from behind my gold tipped forelock as he explained that she'd been a winged spy from the Dragon's Throat. "My dad's the Sultan there." I whispered, wondering what would make him do something so terrible even if someone was spying. I had a hard time accepting that someone's life could be worth so little in the eyes of a stranger. I had an even harder time wrapping my mind around someone who was being so patient and kind doing something so ... cruel.

"I see." My wings tightened against my side and I averted my gaze as my mind began to spin in a thousand different directions. I almost wished that he had lied to me instead of telling me the truth because no one else knew. Would I be a liability? A loose end that would need tying up.

"She… she died, during the darkness. I saw it. I never got to say sorry."

"You can still make amends." I finally met his gaze again and tried to appear grown, though my face was tear-stained like a child's. "You can always pray and ask for forgiveness. You made a mistake and mistakes can be forgotten. Forgive and forget, right?" I grew silent because at that point I could have slapped myself with my own wings.

Forgive and forget.

"I don't think you're as bad as you think you are." I whispered. "You're nice to me and I have wings." I chewed on my lip for a moment then braved another statement. "I think we're in the same situation. We need to forgive ourselves before we can expect anyone else to."

@[Dragomir]

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie

The birds, they got help from below
From dirty paws and the creatures of snow

For all his attempts to console the weeping girl, he only seems to make it worse, the hacking of her sobs deepening as he presses blame on those who should be here to console their lost kin. He reaches out to touch her shoulder gently, deciding that maybe she has been avoiding them, a good reason she would be here alone and why he’d been the one to bring conversation to light for once. Maybe his initial assumptions that she’d rather he just went away were proper ones. It makes him frown, brows crinkling in wonder as his features are hidden by his subtle embrace of comfort, unsure whether he should now just leave or if his presence helps her somehow.

Judging by the crying, it did not; she also had not made her exit, either, and so he was left with a half hearted conviction to keep trying.

Leaning into his story of Shadow and the red bindings of his soul, he hopes that maybe through his own confessions, she can think less harshly of herself; it had taken many months of ponderous thought for him to decide that the true evil in that situation had been Ricochet, and like all stories of wickedness he had heard, the darkness gleamed and glistened as if priceless and precious, tempting to all. He had been young, foolish and lost; it made sense that one such as himself would reach for that shining beacon.

His confession leads to her second mentioning of her father, and his ears fall to either side of his head, crestfallen and sad that such was the path fate had put him on. Its too late now to take it back – he can only hope she doesn’t say anything, or if she does, that the crime is forgiven. Either way, he hadn’t been the reason Shadow had died; that reason was the same one that left Ranjiri softly hiccupping with tears.

At least the crying had slowed, replaced by discomfort, something even a man as socially dense as Dragomir can notice by the way she shields her body with her wings, falling into a long silence that he almost takes as his invitation to leave before she’s again speaking, leaving him with a softly ironic smirk on his lips as she points out the only thing she needs to do to help herself out of the hole she’s fallen into.

It’s interesting, endlessly so, to the young man; that life loops and twines together so, that two people with such different problems encompassing the same core had found one another and aided in ways they hadn’t foreseen. He wonders if praying has helped her – the last time he’d gone to the shrines of the Gods and fallen to his knees seeking assistance, the very ground itself had rebuked his presence, trembling and throwing a massive fit that he had come anywhere near the sanctified pillars. He doesn’t plan on praying anytime soon, at least not after that experience, but it does tempt him, memories of his youth filling him with late night conversations with the cluster of stars he had, in his innocence, believed to be Nieque and his powerful son, Aarde.

Those were days long passed. He had true Gods now, ones he could see, but it did little to ease him back into a life of devotion; in ways, he was afraid of these deities, afraid they would dislike him as Mirage said they would if they came to see the color of his heart.

But then Ranjiri, sweet Ranjiri, lays her gentle hand of benevolence across the brow of his fears, leaving him with an empty mask that stares at her through wondering eyes. Is she right? Is he not as wicked as he believes himself to be?

”You deserve kindness, as do most I have met here,” he says, turning his eyes away to look at the horizon, taking in her wisdom imbued words that he should forgive himself, the words the sort of lingering, heavy things that imply he does not deserve the same treatment as Ranjiri does. He finds that he doesn’t want to let go of his aching heart; it was that grief and guilt that had forged his soul into the shape it held now, the black pain he inflicted on himself all that kept him moving forward on the path that Mirage had shown him, the one she had promised ended in happiness and belonging. To let go of that remorse, to forgive himself for what he had done, opened up a thousand doors to fail; if he forgave his actions, what would hold him back from doing it again? Not all insults to the flow of fate could be so easily repaid. He wears his guilt as a penance for what he cost that woman, as a chain to keep him from flying off the edge of that precipice ever again.

If he forgave that indiscretion, the briars lining the adjacent path would take the appearance once more of rose littered bushes, the gnarled hungry branches morphed into the soft ripple of a willow’s leaning boughs, and he would soon be found lost along the incorrect path again. It was pivotal that he wear this badge of horror, if only to feel as if the Queen of Dragons still loomed in the distance, watching each of his movements, judging him, guiding him. He does not know how to explain this to Ranjiri. He does not try.

”But I think you’re right, about having to let it go,” he says, convincing enough as he does think that this is a good path for the black and gold girl to take with her cloak of sin, ”though it is surely far easier to say than bring it to fruition.” His own darkness was one that he figured would take much longer to die out than Ranjiri, one that still jabbed at him as he struggles against the backward flow of this land on a daily basis. She cannot see it as clearly as he can, for she does not have his mind, but daily he fights the urges to be gone from this land of misfits and hybrids and hourly he struggles with the concepts Mirage has shared with him in contrast to those he had been taught as a young boy. He enjoys the golden lining of those theories shared with him by Mirage, and he wants them to be true so much that he is still here, arguing with himself and his past.

How long would it take him to forgive his parents for raising him so incorrectly for this world? How much longer still until he can forgive the land that crafted the black laws of Nieque that corrupted the soft hearts of his family?

Manipulation by the lovely Shady, Table by Time
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Ranjiri

I think that forgiving yourself for something that you've done to someone is one of the hardest things to do. It is so much easier to isolate yourself and wallow in the pool of self pity and loathing that you create for yourself. Forgiving yourself gives you a freedom. It lifts a weight off of you and makes it so much easier to breathe. So much easier to live. With each passing minute that I spent talking to him I could feel the weight lifting from my shoulders. I realized how pointless it was for me to wallow in self pity and loathing instead of just moving on with my life. Just because I did something bad didn't have to mean that my whole world stopped unless I wanted it to and I was too young for my world to just stop.

It seemed silly when I thought about it, to cry over something that I'd had little control over. Yes, I had hurt my family but I could make amends. I could beg for their forgiveness and if they didn't forgive me I would still love them, but I would move on with my life. It would always be there in the back of my mind and on my pelt, the evidence that I had attacked someone I loved and they had fought back.

I coughed and ducked my head down one last time to wipe my face on my legs then looked at Dragomir again. "You're really nice." I said. "And patient." I probably could have thrown out a hundred compliments at him just because he had been so nice to me when I didn't even want to be nice to myself.

I smiled a watery smile and reached my nose out to touch Dragomir's cheek if he would allow it. "You look sad." I said softly, my frown fading until it was replaced by a frown. "You shouldn't be. No one deserves to be sad forever." Even if he had tried to kill someone. In the end he hadn't gone through with it and felt remorse for doing what he had done. How long he would allow himself to feel guilt would be up to him, just like it was my choice for how long I chose to carry my own guilt with me.

"I'd like to call you a friend." I thought that maybe a change of subject would be best for the both of us because I was tired of crying and I was sure he was tired of watching me cry. "Would you allow it?"

@[Dragomir]

"."

Image Credit

aud pixel!

Bunnie
It seems his words have had some positive effect on her, the way her sniffling stills and the tears cease flowing; she even tucks her pretty face into her knees again, wiping away the few residual damp patches that clung to her dark pelt, and he smiles softly at her through his inward aching, glad he could console at least her, even when the words that had spared her suffering could not ease that which he felt inside himself. One of his ears holds onto her words, a blue eye finding purchase on her face as she complements him, his smile deepening in its truth.

He doesn’t believe her, not entirely, but she can’t be lying with such sweetly flickering eyes and how she reaches forth to embrace him. He does wonder if her horn will gouge him as she moves her face nearer his cheek and feels a tensing of the tissue around where her breath first touches before the full closeness of her features close on him, but he does not balk or cower as he once had when Semira had first imposed herself on him; he doesn’t even feel as reserved around Ranjiri as he had the first time, and he supposes that is a good sign.

Maybe his heart can be cured, after all; maybe the light of the Moon had seeped slowly into his soul, maybe…maybe it might save him.

"I’ve been sad most of my life," he explains, not sure why, "mother always said I’d gotten it from my dad. I think it’s just this place." He pauses, lips pursing, his crystalline eyes darkening a shade or two as he ponders his state of mental health since arriving. Surely, his soul was more worthy than it had once been, even with its myriad stains and tears, but he’d had few nights of peace even when he felt such love for his herd and adoptive family. The very nature of this land challenged him daily, hourly, even now as he looks back to Ranjiri, seeking the words to explain what he meant, not wanting to have her believe he does not love Helovia or those he has met, only that it is hard. "I was raised a different way than most of the others here. Every day is a struggle against what I thought to be true and what I am learning truly is."

Her next words are so ironic that he chuckles without meaning too, smiling awkwardly at its cessation so that Ranjiri knows he was not laughing at the notion of their friendship in such a way as to be hurtful; it was rather that if his father could see him here, if his old Gods had lived to watch him, they would be displeased that he had even helped her stop crying, much less that he took in her words with serious consideration. In ways, she already was; he knew that friends and family were there to lend support when all the footing had been swept out from under you, and it was what he had just done.

Still, she was the only one who had ever asked and thus the only one he could truly call a friend without assuming it was so because they had always answered him when he called for them or had been helpful when the need had arisen. It was comforting to think of it that way, and so slowly his head nods, his eyes flicker with the smile that graces his dark muzzle.

"Sure," he says, pushing aside his worries that he is failing his father and making his mother weep softly into Israfel’s bronze scales and smiling at the golden and black hybrid, "anytime you get lonely, I’ll be here for you. Just come and find me."

And I'll do my best to make you smile.

@[Ranjiri]
Dragomir
Wishlist | Table Tracker