the Rift

[PRIVATE] Like the dawn, I rise again (CLOSED)

Andromeda Posts: 91
Dragon's Throat Healer
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 5 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Lauren
My wings spread in the starry night sky, I fly into the territory of Dragon's Throat. There is more water than I remember, and it seems that the peninsula has become even more isolated from the mainland of Helovia than before. Only a thin strip of land now connects the two. What has happened in my absence? My time apart from the world I know and love was.. trying.. but I had much soul searching to do. Returning in Frost Fall was not what I originally planned, but Helovia called to me. Now that I have returned, I seek the land I once knew as a home. Something tells me there has been great change in the land, though I'm not sure what it is. Having crossed into the territory, I fly a little lower, then lower still, landing finally not too far within the border. My hooves kick up the frigid sand as I land, my wings spread to slow my descent and ease my landing. My dark wings would blend in with the night, except that dawn is rapidly approaching. Late in the morning, my flight has been that of the red eye. Though I prefer the night, it seems everyone else generally prefers the day, and I do not want to wake the Sultan and Sultana in the middle of the evening.

Getting my footing, I tuck my feathered wings in against my body, warming up my torso and fighting the frost. I look around with my two-tone gaze. The land itself doesn't seem to have changed too much in substance, besides the creeping of the waters. But the scents are different. I do not smell Midas or Kri like I once used to. Their scents are absent. That's not right at all.... I walk slowly through the rising dawn, the sun beginning to illuminate my dark body against the light sand around me. Whomever lives here now will find me soon. I am in no rush, and I will wait for them to greet me. Perhaps I can make Dragon's Throat my home once more.

OOC: getting a feel for her! Ampere and/or Africa, + Sohalia just 'cause :)
Tags: @[Ampere], @[Africa], @[Sohalia]
AndromedA
I will fly among the stars for eternity
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
image credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Andromeda excluding dismemberment and death.

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

She flies.

An iridescent angel in the pre-dawn light, she was ivory wings spread to catch the breezes, flowing banner stark against the dark sky. She was bi-colored eyes and a delicate bodice, suffering-turned-strength shining from within and making her outward beauty somehow more wild. She was the sky, and she was the wind, but above all, she was the sun. As the golden orb rose behind her, shimmering softly over the dunes of sand below, she could not be happier. Despite all that she had been through, despite all that she had seen and heard and felt and known, she was happy here, now, floating high above it all. In the clouds, no one could see her, nothing could touch her; if only she never had to come down. But alas, even a dove cannot fly forever, and so down she came in lazy spirals, scanning the ground below out of some instinctual habit that existed to save her from danger.

A trill from above caught her attention; she smiled as she recognized the call of her companion, Astraeus. The zephyr had found something on the edges of their land, a small speck that he couldn't quite make out. Though he could not speak to her in her own tongue, Sohalia found that she rarely had trouble understanding him, his emotions were so closely linked to hers. Right then, his metaphorical hackles were raised, protection the primary thought in his mind. He was quite possessive of Sohalia, and everything she deemed hers, and so an intruder on their lands - well, he wasn't about to have that.

The fae found the speck at about the same time that her dainty hooves touched the dirt, and then she was trotting forward, continuing the momentum that had brought her safely from the sky. She fluttered her wings, shaking the disarray of her feathers back into comfortable places, and then she pulled the appendages closely to her sides. She slowed, stopped, paused, looking from the speck back toward the herd, wandering if she ought to find Africa - or, gods, forbid, Ampere. The blue's ascent to leadership had not sweetened the dove's feelings towards her; if anything, Sohalia held more dislike for the mare now that Ampere held power over her. But the Dragon's Throat was her home - hers, not that outsiders - and so she stubbornly remained, holding her tongue and biding her time until, one day, perhaps, when Ampere's temper got the better of her and she proved just how terrible a leader she was.

Jealousy is a bitch, isn't it?

And so she started forward again, purposeful and determined to deal with whatever the speck may be on her own. For a moment, she remembered the darkness, and she dithered, afraid - but then she shoved the fear to a deep, dark place in her heart where all her secret pains lay and moved on. There was no more time to be frightened, no more time to wait around for a stallion to save her. This was the only life she had to live, and, by the gods, she was not going to live it for those idiotic males anymore. She was going to live it for herself. Astraeus trilled again, soaring above her; And for you, my love, she agreed, her pleasure mingling with his. If she was to lose everything else in this life - mates, children, parents - she was not about to lose her bonded. He had shown her there was more to live for, and she felt more herself than she had in years. Or perhaps she was simply discovering herself for the first time.

At any rate, she had grown near to the newcomer and was pleased to find that she was the first. She halted several lengths from the dark mare and nodded a greeting. "Hello," she said with a smile. "My name is Sohalia. May I help you?"

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

They swept through the north of the desert, surveying with meticulous care the entire perimeter devoured by the ravenously thrashing ocean. Crude boulders clung loosely to the sheer cliff-face there, rising above the waves to prop their home and family safely above the moon-tossed tides. Africa marvelled at them, as they passed effortlessly, guided by the bitter wind above. The south coast of Dragon’s Throat was not nearly so hostile; smooth sandy beaches strewn with shells and at times sheets of wayward seagrass, but nothing so precarious as that which spanned the borderline to the north.

Her wings were not adept like those of her star-spangled company. She swooped and lurched clumsily, as was the natural habit of the creature she embodied, and the wind goaded her heavier frame, tumbling it occasionally with cruel flurries from behind. Never the less, she kept pace and watched Silas with a pinning pupil whenever she was not gazing, transfixed by the new world they were drifting over. It was the first time she had patrolled, ever. The Zephyr she flanked had contributed his time to the Throat’s army on many occasions, requested to or not, but Africa had never been interested in the irony of war; of battles and bloodshed, and the traumas they imparted. But Ampere had raised a valid point, and that with the conviction now pressed into her heart as Sultana, she sought to learn more and delve beyond the harmony of her own comfort zone.

Silas took her to where the bridge of rubble-rock and sand formed the only bridge between the desert and the mainland- a feature that grew fonder and fonder as the hours passed. Africa knew Sohalia’s work would be much less now, considering previously required length of their formidable wall, and smiled though the beak jutting between the switch of her roving eyes had not the ability to crease like the mouth of her Pegasus self. There was no movement below; only the white froth of waves still far further below the landscape.

As dawn broke across the eastern horizon, their path curled back towards the smear of green which heralded the position of their beloved oasis, the lake- the Throat. They dropped lower, skimming the earth’s dusty crust for a parrots endurance lacked in comparison to the proverbial flight patterns of the Zephyr’s elusive ancestors. Sunlight streamed through the thinning haze of bleak clouds, caressing black and grey feathers and warming their bodies to the core. The return of the light, of the sun and the God who wielded them was so welcome, that the pair revelled and played through channels of air as they went along their way- still scouting for the unusual; the visiting.

Partway between the bridge and the leafy centre of their home, a figure was noticed walking- and another towards they. Silas slipped ahead with speed Africa’s parrot body had not been blessed with, to assess. He did not recognize her- had never seen her, though he could feel the opposite glaring through the mind of his beloved as she drew near at a bumbling leisurely pace. The shape-shifted mare knew them both actually, the dove white mare who had been nothing but lovely, time and time again, Sohalia- and a warrior who had not been seen for a great many seasons (Before even the Endless Night!) Mottled grey feathers rippled in the breeze as she diverted her path to steer a wide circle around them- she was tiring, had been flying for hours longer than her wings might have preferred, but with renewed enthusiasm Africa urged herself on.

A good distance away, she landed and dark scaly legs hopped her slight frame forward- each bounce exaggerated with parting, zealous wings. It would take her a while longer to cover the whole distance dividing- but with Sohalia on hand, she felt little urgency to interrupt, perhaps they even knew each other (a reunion to be left alone- she did not know). At least by approaching in this manner, she would not readily draw focus from the conversation they had clearly already begun.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren

The stars are fading above me. Don't fade, my loves. Keep me company in the brightness of the day. I love the God of the Sun, and the warmth and light he brings. But I thrive in the darkness and the Lady Moon calls to my soul, my heart. The stars are my companions in the nights. I am the contradiction of the Throat. The one of the night who lives in the land of the Sun. The stars are my light.. do not leave me. But they do not listen, and continue to fade as the warm sun rises. My head was momentarily raised to the sky, looking up at the pinpoints of light. They will come against at the next sunset, and we shall enjoy each other's company once again. I bring my head down and look ahead again.

Before me another has approached. A beautiful ivory mare, a pegasus like myself, has approached. Her eyes two differing colors, like my own. She approaches somewhat cautiously - thinking me something dangerous? I am nothing to fear unless you've done something to truly incur my anger. A stranger could not have incurred any such anger with me, and my heart is open. She is not far, but I close the gap between us anyway. She introduces herself as Sohalia, and welcomes me back to the Throat. I tilt my crown to the pretty lady. "A pleasure, Sohalia. I am Andromeda." My voice is like silk, and the volume not too loud, not too soft. Just steady. I add, almost as an afterthought, "I once lived here." This information was not completely necessary, but at the same time, sort of answered her question, and gave context as to my presence, uncalled for by any member of the Throat. I extend my mug toward hers, desiring to touch and exchange scents.

Then the moment passes, and as I pull back I notice a movement out of the corner of my eye. I lower my crown to the ground, looking forward through the pistons of Sohalia. There in the sand is a bird, grey, with a bright red tail. I have never seen such a bird before. Something tells me this bird is not any ordinary bird. But I don't know what is extraordinary about it. I stare, distracted from my budding conversation with the pegasus. Let alone whether the bird is ordinary, extraordinary, common or uncommon, it is strange that it has come so close to us, seemingly interested in our conversation. But I do not say anything.

walkwalkwalk talktalktalk

OOC: ergh. trying. also, Andromeda is not a DT sergeant xD that's a leftover title.
Brush Credits!
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

SOHALIA

There were very few times that the angel had faced one with eyes like her own. She wondered what else she might have in common with the dark mare with the galaxy splayed across her right fore and left shoulder; color, it would seem, was not something they shared. Still, the mare's markings were curious, and as the fae's bi-colored gaze roved over the new mare's face, she found herself relaxing even in the presence of the stranger. Her voice, when it sang out, was even and not unkind, though it would better be described as neutral; the words, though, were friendly, and Sohalia found herself smiling. She reached her own muzzle to bump the mare's in greeting, taking in her scent and storing it away in her memory.

"Andromeda..." she said, rolling the name over her tongue. "I can't say I know the name, though I'm sure someone here would recognize you. I have not lived here for so very long as to remember old faces, I'm afraid." Astraeus fluttered closer, clumsily landing on his bonded's shoulders, wrapping his budding talons in her silky banner. He screeched indignantly, unhappy at being left out. "This is Astraeus," the pegasus explained apologetically. "He likes to be the center of attention." As though to prove her point, sparks flew from the zephyr's feathers.

The first time he had sparked, it had terrified the mare. She was convinced there was something wrong, that he was dying or she had killed him or some such horrid thing; thankfully, though, he had made soothing sounds and sent some semblance of reassurance into her mind through the bond, and over time, she had grown used to it. Besides, the electricity never hurt her.

"What brings you back to the Dragon's Throat, Andromeda?" she inquired curiously. She noticed that the mare had grown distracted, though, and as Astraeus squawked from her back, she twisted her nape around to regard the parrot on the sand behind her. She grinned. "Hello, Africa. Lovely morning for a flight, isn't it?"

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

[OOC | Will be gone until Thursday, feel free to skip me and assume that Soh is standing there listening. I will jump back in when I get back!]

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased

100%

Inelegantly the parrot skipped across the cooled sand. Beneath the tread of hooves, it was just another substrate, though warm enough during the months of Tallsun to force quickened pace; yet sensitive avian toes revelled as the rough grains streamed between, abrasive enough only to massage the thicker skin allowing her grip to perch at height. Above, when a fleeting glance was passed, she easily distinguished the shadowy silhouette of her companion still circling not too far away, some soft starlight spilled like a waterfall’s intricate mist behind the thrust of his black-as-night wings, and the extravagant tail whose long feathers trailed behind. He blended almost perfectly against the dim backwash of a blackened heaven; the night was his haven, and the day was hers.

She watched (as did he- four sharp eyes devouring the unfolding scene), and the gap was closed between the two Throat mares- the whitest of which was standing with her tail mostly in the parrot’s direction. Though their heads seemed to move to the rhythm of words, Africa could hear them not; they did not call with the raucous screech her avian ears were attuned to understand. She paused, legs trembling, wings folding to rest for a moment against the curve of her sleek, slender ribcage. Travel on foot was no more suited to this form than a camel’s trek through the sea. A centipede slipped warningly to meet her pause from its small den beneath an otherwise insignificant rock and she laughed inwardly at the miniscule creature’s lashing fangs- so shining and black, a stark contrast to the soft glow of sand beneath. It lunged, and suddenly the mare realised her vulnerability (she was not standing upon pillars of pure sinew with boulders at each base), and stumbled backwards, murmuring of mild disgruntlement.

Sohalia had turned her slim, feminine face to find Africa by then, and the familiar melody of her smooth voice filled the void still lingering between. With all the concentration she could muster and gilt eyes clenched together, the mare began to transform. It was not an easy task- despite the many opportunities already found to practice, and all the while her contorting bones and warping muscles screamed their agony to a mind which had all but learned to close itself off. It had become the only way to manage the excruciating feat- certainly it was no easy task for a horse to morph into the small form of a bird, and likewise back again. Perhaps ten seconds passed, she was standing wearily as a one-winged Pegasus again balanced over stiffly splayed legs, recovering her coordination and filling the gasp of empty lungs with the cool, desert air. Despite the ordeal which granted her only method of flight, she threw across a smile and finally stagged to meet the pair.

"Hey Sohalia…" she nodded quickly, her expression embracing the other fondly. She had not been able to form the words given by the other into any logical sentence while shape-shifted, but continued nonetheless to say, "Fine morning! It's so nice to be home again." She turned focus then politely, still swaying a little, and greeted Andromeda, a name which she had thought genuinely might never fall from her tongue again. Though there meeting had been brief (when still Africa had been the free-spirited girl of the past), the star-flecked mare had left an unforgettable impression. "Andromeda, we thought you vanished!"

There was a strident cry, a piercing noise let slip from the hooked beak of the landing zephyr, and Africa’s pale face swivelled with surprise to find the creature staring at the other of his kind. Silas croaked, turning his face to eye the stranger who now perched within the boundaries he had set so instinctively on behalf and Fina and himself. Though the phoenix had never quite regarded him in any other way than hostile- the Roc was not about to let rouges relax in her absence. For his effort, Africa awarded him a firm glare through their bond. "Forgive him, please, I am not sure where this unfriendliness has stemmed from." Her eyes swept back towards the younger zephyr before wandering forward to find the lovely, two-toned gaze of his mare.

image credits

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren

A zephyr, sparks from his wings. The bright angelic mare before me, kindness in her eyes. For me, for my dark self in the rising sun. The white mare does not remember me. Suitable - for I do not remember her. It doesn't matter now - we are introducing ourselves. Can always start anew and with a clean slate. The sparks of her Zephyr surprise me a bit. I don't flinch, but my eyes widen a little and my nostrils flare. His name is Astraeus. It reminds me of the stars, and I smile builds on my lips. I bob my crown in greeting to the feathered sir.

I realize that Sohalia is offering words to the parrot hopping on the ground. I can tell that the parrot is unfamiliar with the sandy terrain - it doesn't surprise me, just because the two don't seem to go together. At least, I always thought parrots were more comfortable in jungles. But what Sohalia says... Clearly I have misunderstood. In a scene I could never have possibly imagined, the parrot that was only a foot, two feet tall.. morphs to a one-winged pegasus before my eyes. I take a step back, my nostrils flaring, and my ears twitching uncomfortably. This is certainly something I had not expected.

And then she speaks. A parrot, to a pegasus. I can see all the similar markings. Whatever type of parrot she could morph into, it resembled her perfectly. Except for the wings. The pegasus before me has only one. But if I imagine her with a second wing, I recognize her. Africa... I only met her in passing once.. a long time ago. But the name stuck with me, beautiful and somehow foreign. By her words, she remembers me, too. I bow my head to her in greeting and murmur her name, almost inaudibly. This is already a lot of talking for me, and I feel my mouth getting dry. A cry from above, unfriendly and my lobes pin again against my skull. Another zephyr, looking at me sternly. If he was here before when I knew Africa, I don't remember him. She ascertains that he is usually not so unruly, and I take her word for it, my ears slowly rotating back to an open, happy position.

Africa approaches me, and I move forward, too. The granules below rise over my flints, beginning to warm slightly as the sun rises, illuminating our gathering. I extend my muzzle toward Africa, wanting to know her smell again. I pull my muzzle back once the moment has passed and cock my head. Though I do not express it, the question is clear. I glance at her missing wing and cock my head. I knew her as a carefree, joyful girl. What happened?

Walk walk walk. Talk talk talk.

Brush Credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

SOHALIA

If she noticed the tripping of the parrot as it was pursued by an angry caterpillar, she pretended not to notice, instead watching with interest as her Sultana grew and morphed into her normal form. Bones rearranged, grinding quietly beneath shifting sinew and warping muscles, and a sight that might once have made the angel ill now left her entranced. What wonders magic could accomplish, to build a pegasus mare, taller and stouter than she, from such a small bird! Sohalia felt momentarily guilty for calling her out of her avian form, for she imagined that the transformation was at least unpleasant, if not downright painful. Despite any lingering discomfort, Africa has placed a charming smile on her maw, and the ivory angel allowed her guilt to fade. It was done now, and Africa would have had to return to her own form eventually, anyway. She had merely asked it of her a little sooner.

Sohalia returned the smile as Africa voiced her own greeting. The angel was surprised to find that Africa and Andromeda had met before - the Sultana and the Forger had arrived in the Dragon's Throat at about the same time, all those months ago. She supposed that she had been quieter back then, and more withdrawn, less likely to go about meeting her herdmates when she didn't even know if she wanted a herd at all. Africa, though, had always been friendly, and she remembered fondly their own first meeting.

The irritable shriek from above surprised the mare and her bonded, who immediately showered her with sparks as he shrieked his own challenge at the other male. Sohalia, who could feel his petulance, tried to soothe him through the bond but the zephyr was uninterested. As far as he was concerned, the desert was his home as much as anyone else's, and despite Silas's older age, their rank as a common zephyr was the same. He settled, finally, with his angel's silent urging, but he kept one beady, golden eye settled firmly on the darker roc. A small frown had crossed the mare's face as she dealt with the young wakiya, but with Africa's words, she shook her head with a smile. "Oh, no, I must apologize for Astraeus - he is yet young, and does not understand how to properly respect his elders. Do forgive him, Silas, won't you?" Her gaze swept momentarily to the older zephyr, hoping that the two could come to some sort of agreement. Astraeus, whose curiosity seemed to have gotten the better of him, lifted his head from the small, fluffy ball that he had created on Sohalia's back, and offered a soft, inquiring chirp. It was, after all, only the second time that he had seen one of his own kind, and he had gone largely unnoticed at the herd meeting.

She noticed the curious glance of Andromeda, too, as she looked Africa over and realized what was missing. Sohalia fell into silence then, for she had heard only rumors of the Sultana's missing wing, and it was not her tale to tell anyway.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Deceased

100%

The zephyr hunched wilfully above the flesh of his beloved, glaring still as the small chirp of the wakiya sliced through the tension forged through the air between them. Violet eyes narrowed as the slippery rays of daylight gathered within them, fierce and loyal in the face of all the turmoil; the changes which had befallen them. Times had been unsettling, and the glossy black creature had not been spared. Still, the mood of the group lacked the volatility which might have fed his defensiveness into anything grander than the sullen exhibition displayed- there was just no trace, and settled marginally by the persuasive urge of his beloved; Silas returned a guarded murmur of his own to the pale mare’s bonded, the sound of her voice (the word’s without sense to him), a comfortable blanket across his resentment.

Tingling beneath the weight of their eyes; of controversy and blame, the lonely wing gripped against the mottled well-dappled barrel of the mare fidgeted. The scar staining the other shoulder with shining, raw pink had healed long ago, but brought to task by inquiring minds (no matter how friendly), the wound seemed to burn and sting with renewed ferocity. Despite this, and bravely finding both the unmatched eyes of Sohalia and the twilight gaze of Andromeda, Africa shrugged, her soft white expression lifting as the warm stroke of sunlight soothed away her disquiet. In the fleeting moments of silence between, the one-winged mare thought of Midas and their conversation; of all which had been aired between them, and the contentment that had been let stray through her previously damaged soul. She harboured not the same guilt that she had since the undoing of her flight, and certainly she now understood that her mistakes that season should not be the unravelling of her gentle, thoughtful spirit. As though pulled to life on cue by the memory of her lost sand-wielding friend, the golden feathers of her own; tied into her mane by the art of his powers, began to twirl and flutter silently in a subtle breeze.

"Silly mistakes."She started openly, smiling- for the lightness which gathered in place where trouble and torture once compiled. She felt no burden swell through her mind and continued. "I gambolled ignorantly two winters passed, and my naivety landed me in the grip of the horrid beasts of the north." Africa was relieved to find that still she remained without trembling apprehension; that the story came as quickly and reasonably as the melting snows to the sea. Because of this, she even offered a spirited laugh, bright and without suffering, the delicate sound of which peeled into the clear sky above.

image credits

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
Sohalia, the angelic winged mare, does not say much more to me. Instead, she comments on the actions of her bonded, Astraeus, with Africa's bonded, Silas. I smile softly at the winged companions. I have nothing against companions, really, but I am not sure I could ever have one. I am more of the lone wolf type. Even if I had one, I would want to give it as much independence as possible. The way some equines treat their companions is appalling. However, I don't think this is the case with these two mares. Though I sense the relationship is still developing between Sohalia and Astraeus, it is clear they each care about their bonded, and their bonded cares about them. It brings warmth to my heart.

Though Africa shrugs at my wandering gaze, brushing off my unvoiced concerns, I feel the moment of tension in the air. But it passes almost as quickly as it came, and I feel my own relief. I do not want my friend to be in pain. Gamboling, as wonderful as it may be, does need to be moderated now and then. Everything in moderation. I move forward silently, closing the distance between us, and press my nose to the pink, mottled flesh where her wing is missing. I cannot heal it, or bring back her wing, but I realize that I wish I could. If I had the power to do any such thing, I would. I try to communicate this with my gaze to her, and step back, giving the lovely dove room. I realize after this that perhaps I crossed a line by invading her space. Quietly, I finally speak. "Forgive me, I am sorry."

I smile at her apologetically, then a little more happily at Sohalia. Backing up so I am comfortable to talk to them both, I reexamine the situation I am now in. It is time for me to make a move, to make a request. Though I am loathe to talk, there is only so much I can say with my eyes, my body language. "I wish to rejoin the Dragon's Throat herd, if you have a place for me. I do not know who the leaders are here anymore." Of course, I do not know that there has been a darkness over Helovia, or that the reign has changed. All I know is things are not what they used to be.

Walk walk walk. Talk talk talk.
Tag: @[Africa], @[Sohalia]
Brush Credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

SOHALIA

The angel was blissfully unaware that the zephyr perched upon the Sultana's back could not understand her; in times past, her words had transmitted, if nothing else, soothing tones and relaxation. Her own bonded calmed at her voice, trilling softly in response. He was a very vocal young bird, often relying on various noises to display his emotion, and this was no different. As Silas offered his own response, Astraeus visibly brightened, youthful exuberance fully on display as he hopped back and forth along Sohalia's back. Excited chirps fell from his beak, and he was silenced only by the firm touch of his bonded's thoughts, though he continued to watch Silas with a mixture of glee and curiosity. Your opinions are easily swayed, the angel remarked silently, wryly; and though he did not yet understand her words, he felt her amusement, the invisible rolling of her eyes, and settled, ever watchful of his newfound kinfolk (or so Silas was, in the young wakiya's eyes).

Africa was offering her story by now, and Sohalia lost track of her young companion's thoughts as she followed her friend's unspoken explanation - for she, who had been here through the invasion and all of the changes of recent months, understood that the unicorns of the North were barbaric and hateful. Though she tried not to judge them too harshly - after all, the actions of a few may not be the opinions of the many - she could not help the indignant intake of breath that accompanied the brief rush of anger at Africa's implications. Why, how dare they-! The thought remained unfinished, the truth of the Sultana's disability too horrific to even imagine. A small shudder ran down the angel's spine, and she struggled to keep her expression neutral, lowering her eyes to disguise their disgust. She was determined to remain peaceful and supportive, and even more unwilling to stoop to the level of those who had caused Africa's pain.

Andromeda's movement drew her eyes upward again. The mare stepped forward, pressing her dark muzzle to the pink scar. The angel was surprised, but the pair seemed to know each other from times long past, so she supposed that it was possible that their was a touchy-feely relationship. She looked on in silence as the dark mare asked for a place in their family, waited for Africa to say yes - for Sohalia assumed that she would do so without the slightest hesitation. Andromeda had been here before, after all, and they could use all the herd members that they could get. She seemed to be strong and able and kind, and Sohalia could see no reason for the Sultana to refuse her - not that she thought Africa would do such a thing.

(Assuming that Andromeda is allowed into the herd, add the following. If not, ignore this.)

A small smile broke over her face as her suspicions were confirmed and Andromeda became one of her sisters, but it was short lived. Her purpose here was done, and it was time for her to get back to work. "I hope I will see you around, Andromeda," the angel said, and then added, "And you, Africa." With a final, respectful nod, she began to walk away, her zephyr taking to the skies above her.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Deceased

100%

Sohalia appeared to remain mostly composed, quiet in the face of the exposure of all that had happened, though the other mare stepped to touch tenderly, the scar born of mischief. The young pallid face of a Pegasus that had seen perhaps more in the short count of her years than one considered wise for the wrinkled rim of aging eyes, smiled naturally when the star strewn mare apologised. Africa wished only that perhaps the bitter tale of her loss would stand as a warning to those wild hearts and reckless minds among them- certainly she wanted not the face of pity or grief to stalk her any longer. She could not see foolishness tainting the serenity before her though, and it soothed a stir of secret concern beneath flickering lashes. The past was the past, and that trauma had been laid to rest. "You needn’t be." The soft, tuneful hum of an untroubled voice slipped towards Andromeda with care, brilliant yellow eyes meeting the remorseful smile she gestured.

The once warrior mare moved to take a more comfortable position between them. The same glamour and haunting elegance still cloaked her now, Africa thought pensively; always she had wondered how such a superb creature could function in the face of war. Andromeda seemed to share no similarities to Midas, Gaucho or any other warriors devoted to the protection of this home, but maybe it was that she had chosen a field so unfitting to pursue that caused that powerful level of appeal throughout the imaginations of her peers.

The words to follow drew forth dancing delight to splash the soft white expression, and the Sultana’s dry rough lips peeled away from teeth marbled by time. "Welcome home then, Andromeda. Dragon’s Throat is in a new age, there are many changes to note." The dapple grey’s eyes glazed for a moment as she thought back to the last season shared here, between them (though seldom had they truly spoken). "Was it Kri in power when you were called away from us? And Sumati?" Africa could not be certain... "Anyway, many have been placed in power since those days. Possibly a stranger to you, Ampere, and myself lead the Throat now. And I receive you gladly."

Her snowy sister spoke then, dismissing herself from the conversation. The young grey smiled in return, ears wandering forward to meet the sound of her own name upon the mild breath of dawn. "Thanks Sohalia." Africa answered quickly, grateful that the pale mare’s patrol (should that have been the reason for her being here at all) had located Andromeda. Politely she offered the young zephyr a smile of his own- on behalf of Silas and herself, for the Roc spared nothing but a wary glance as the pair turned to depart.

Her quiet pastel gaze followed them until the rising haze of desert heat swallowed them into the horizon- it was not a long time, minutes at most. Afterwards, the Sultana turned her focus squarely back to the polished mare who remained. "Were you hoping to rejoin the ranks of the army?" Inwardly she cringed. Those defenders of the sun kissed land were few and far between these days and Africa was sensitive to their home’s vulnerability and dismal strength.

(Ooc: At this point Ampere was still Sultana ;)

image credits

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
Sohalia is quiet, and I wonder if she is having a conversation with her bonded. The young roc is full of spirit and energy and seems to be fascinated with his fellow fowl. Sohalia stayed quiet still as Africa spoke. In this moment we are the same. Silent pegasi listening to their queen. I sense that Sohalia is bothered by Africa's tale as I move to touch Africa's shoulder. Her explanation, though brief, is good enough for me. She tells me it's okay and that I needn't be sorry, but that doesn't mean that I'm able to stop worrying and feeling a need to somehow help. I stand back and cock my head as I listen to Africa. Kri and Sumati... yes, the names sound familiar, but I don't remember them well. What she tells me next is news. Africa and Ampere lead the Throat together. Is it common to have a lead pair who aren't mates? I don't know. I always thought that there were mates who led herds, but perhaps that just shows what little I know. And then what I was hoping for: acceptance into the herd, the family.

Sohalia finds a moment to insert herself, and pardons herself from the conversation. Astraeus chirps to Silas, and as she bows out I give her a soft and caring smile. I will remember her and her gentleness (and beauty) for the future. My attention slowly turns back to Africa, and she asks me if I wish to rejoin the army. It's true, I was once a sergeant here at Dragon's Throat. But though I felt passionately about it at the time, I do not anymore. It's not that I'm purely a pacifist, but my feelings have certainly changed. "No, actually... Though I would fight for you and Sultana Ampere, and for any member of the herd... I think that I would be able to contribute more as a healer." Oh all the words... did she just bring out the chatty Cathy in me? I don't remember the last time I was so loquacious.

OOC: I LOVE HER AND SHE'S SO FRIKKIN HARD TO WRITE UGH
Tag: @[Africa] <3
AndromedA
I will fly among the stars for eternity
background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
image credits
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Deceased

100%

Although the starry-mare’s response was not altogether surprising, Africa couldn’t help the vague grimace as it rose to leech the weary optimism from her expression. Perhaps she had subconsciously wanted one so experienced in martial arts to step forward and take from her the weight which the army was, and would always be. The grey was no soldier (maybe she was not a leader either), bathed still in some quaint innocence that reflected through the glaze of burdened pastel eyes. She knew not how to teach those who wasting in the ranks of their defence, not how to motivate them or impress them, and worried constantly about the vulnerability of her home and her family. Andromeda’s loyalty warmed her confidence a little, dribbling some comfort back into a conscious that had turned so suddenly cold.

Africa smiled quietly, forcing the concern from her mind to focus on the revelation of her Throat-sister’s request to heal those once fought beside. Immediately she felt at ease with the concept- certainly such a role seemed to fit the other's serene nature.

"No Sun Physician has been set yet," she thought aloud, considering always that which might please her lord the most. Hindquarters stiffened suddenly as she rocked her weight to prop idly left, leaving the hoof to the right to rest. She had no doubt Ampere would agree to the former soldier rising to fill the role, and felt confident within herself that Andromeda would wear the responsibility well. "So it will be then. I'll speak with our lord of the Sun soon to advise him of this decision." Fluttering nostrils danced forward briefly to offer silently appreciation for her old colleague. "Congratulations new healer."

Soon Africa had recoiled, drawing away though not for any other reason than the keen respect she had developed for the sake of personal boundaries. On so many occasions, her affectionate ways had landed her in the midst of considerable grief and now she held back those mannerisms which had been forever a part of her generous, kindly personality. Silas at that point, spread apart his lovely raven-hued wings and was lifted from his beloved’s back by the passing breeze. He held neither favour, nor distaste for Andromeda and offered no sort of gesture to visibly signal his parting. Into the mind of the dapple grey mare, the young zephyr bid farewell, and swept away into the brightening sky to resume his patrol.

image credits

Dragon's Throat Healer
Lauren
The smile that crosses my Queen's countenance at my response seems forced, and though it is a sign of cheerfulness, she seems troubled. Before I can dare to ask, however, she has suppressed it and offered a more genuine smile. I let the matter slide, not wanting to force her to speak about something upsetting.

She knows what to do with me, and what surprises me is that what she graces me with is such a high position. Sun Physician? Wow. My eyes widen slightly and my ears perk up. That's the highest ranking for healing within the herd. I'm not sure that I have any reason to be placed in such a high position, but I will accept it with humility and gratitude. I bow my head to her, a soft and graceful smile upon my face. Raising my head again, I finally speak. "It is an honor, Sultana. I will do everything I can to bring honor and respect to this position."

Suddenly I feel self-conscious, and I toss my dark mane over my two-toned face. I bow again, and let my wings spread and lie on the ground. When I rise once more, I extend my nose to touch hers, if she allows it. "I shall not disturb you further, but if you ever need me - for anything -" I emphasize 'anything', wondering if she needs a confidante. Though it may not be my place, I want to offer the shoulder that my Queen may need. "- I am at your service." And my lips press tightly together again as I feel I may have overstepped my bounds. If not that, then certainly I've spoken too much for the brightening day overhead.

"Speech"
Tags: @[Africa], WC: 283, Other: we can, er, probably wrap this up now :P

Trey Ratcliff @ flickr
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Deceased

100%

Patient eyes watched unwearyingly the reaction of the other Pegasus mare, softening with pleasure when the lavender gaze opposite expanded with surprise. Dragon’s Throat needed the loyalest of bodies in the high ranks of the herd; those who had proven their faithfulness either over the course of time, or by way of activity and diligence. Andromeda had offered both already at one point or another, and it brought great peace of mind to place her at the head of such an imperative class.

Graciously Africa also dipped her pale face nearer to the sand, not for one second accepting any gesture that should lift her any higher than those who were family or friend. Truly she was no different to the young hopeful who had roamed tirelessly through Helovia for the better of this herd- she was nothing outstanding. "No doubt." She crooned delicately into the billowy Birdsong breeze through a tender smile.

The one-winged watched steadily through softly blinking eyes as the dusky mare lowered her marbled features once more. She felt awkward standing there, like a stark prickled desert cactus striving above the brittle snowweeds of the north. As Andromeda resumed her balance thereafter, Africa was glad to offer forward her velvety nose in unison, still revelling gleefully in the mare’s unexpected return.

There was an ethereal elegance lacing the words to follow, as distantly beautiful as the first seeping light of dawn; of the rolling mists of the cliff-top kingdom to the east, and almost as lovely as old Dragon’s Blood, doused in the first buds of spring. She smiled thoughtfully and nodded- though never had the presence of her herd-sister been a burden. "Thank you." For now the thoughts clouding the Starry-Eyed’s mind would remain her own. She appreciated the gesture of support, but held not the desire to spread her melancholy unnecessarily.

"Likewise Andromeda, never hesitate to call on me." Not terribly fond of heavy moods, no matter how kindly the intent, Africa chuckled quietly and bid the other farewell. "Enjoy your day." She called back as she turned north, to set off for the Threshold once more.

image credits