the Rift

Let there be Light

Riel Posts: 15
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
LovellaTorendo

If the slight fever of warmth that rises when we hold hands lights a light
Look, It will shine until it reaches even the corners of the dimmed world, so brightly.

As she made her way up the gentle slope and came to a halt, she felt a shiver ripple across the skin. With a tired huff that turned breath into a glittering cloud she furrowed the wings a bit more, huddling into the warmth of gilded down as she gazed out across the vast landscape beneath. It was cold, as always in these northern lands. Snow lay thick and white as far as the eye could see, covering ground and trees alike. It was beautiful, she supposed, what with its crystalline shimmer as early dawn colored the sky in hues of pink and umbra and gentle rays with no warmth announced the rising of the sun - but really, she would have preferred to see mile upon mile of sweltering desert. What wouldn't she give for a burning sun, baking heat that scorched the skin and parched the throat for every breath, air so still that it rippled and created illusions of whatever a soul desired most...

Alas, in this barbaric north no such thing could be found. Indeed, after experiencing the violence of that recent snowstorm Riel doubted that she would be able to find as much as an inch of land that wasn't covered in this pretty but oh so detestable snow. Frozen water? Pah! She couldn't remember what had ever seemed so wonderful about it. The skill of the wrinkly old storytellers, no doubt; they could bewitch the mind of any horse, foal and hardened warrior alike.

Or well... maybe the company of some familiar faces would help brighten her spirits. But as the girl gazed out across the frozen wasteland and saw no sign of horses, winged or otherwise she had to sigh; a pitiful sound indeed, and all the more saddening as it came from one so pretty. It wasn't easy appreciating the adventure of being lost in unknown land when you wasn't sure whether your family was alive or perished, scattered to the seven winds or buried in some accursed pile of snow many miles from here...

Still. It wouldn't do to give up - she had no choice but to move on. May it be that she had lost all bearing in the storm, that she couldn't remember where exactly she had seen her mother last or that a big lump in the head had left a trail of blood down the cheek. May it be that her left wing was rendered completely useless, painful and bruised from a violent fall - she must persevere, if she wanted to survive.

And so the sparrow descended from the hill and headed in beneath the snow-clad canopy of the forest, stout heart beating steadily (somewhat) and the finely chiseled head held high. Maybe if she looked brave she would eventually become it as well...

"Motheeeeer!" she called as she went, hoping beyond hope that an answer might come echoing back eventually, if she just kept at it long enough. "Faaaather? Hiina, Marva, Kehar? Anyoooone!?"

It was strange, wasn't it, how saying their names made her chest ache in sorrow rather than hope - as though by calling on them she sealed some horrible fate that would prevent her from seeing them again.

Sadness sinks, and look, the night comes to an end.
Let's go searching for you
And your warmth, in a world yet unseen.
Image Credits

Helovia Hard Mode
(pixel by Chan | pixel base by BronzeHalo)
Actions: No killing | Tagging: Yes
Riel was designed, characterized and originally played by Chan

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

Ampere moved through the tree tops, her steps as steady as she could manage on hooves and thick boughs, but she was by no means a creature meant for tree-living, much as some ancestral part of her thought otherwise; her bruises could attest to that. She had the size and the talents to maintain herself well enough though, so she clung to the boughs, at times shaking loose some snow.

It provided a helpful vantage point over the forest of the Threshold, a place she was surprisingly familiar with given that this was her first recruiting venture. In times past this place had been a nice grazing area compared to the wilds, and it was always a useful region to garner information. Those trying to scurry fresh blood to their herds were always loquacious.

Ampere was just balancing on a branch, beginning to scan for any sign of movement that would be a horse when a voice called out so suddenly, so desperately, that Ampere startled from her perch. Her wings beat furiously at the wind as she tumbled, but the tight knit of branches meant it was difficult for wings of her size to grab anything but debris. She groaned as she struck the ground, mercifully grabbing wind enough to right herself and keep anything from breaking, but the impact was hard and more bruises blossomed along her chest and her limbs, courtesy of the nearby trunk she utilized to help stop her messy descent. Cursing under her breath Ampere picked herself up and shook the ice from her pelt, stalking towards the source of the noise to better assess it.

"You must be cautious," Ampere warned the golden mare as she drew from between two trees. "There are more in these woods than whom you call for, least among which is me." Ampere kept on high alert, especially now that she was on the ground, her flight not as accessable under these trees. The gods may have awakened, the dawn heralded on the heels of her lord, but it did not mean the darkness was eradicated. Sickness still plagued some. Ampere thought of Shadow.

"I'm Ampere," she offered by way of greeting to lighten the serious mood she'd started with. "Who are you looking for?"

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

LovellaTorendo

Look, It will shine until it reaches even the corners of the dimmed world, so brightly.

A sound - no, more like a crash - drew the attention of the gilded doe like a moth to flame or a cat towards an impending loss of a life. Chiseled ears pricked as she paused in her step, rapt attention focused on the forest ahead. Whatever it was that had made that sound, it was big. Big usually meant dangerous where she came from, so perhaps she couldn't be blamed for the wariness with which she regarded the stranger that appeared, with a mouth full of warnings and mane tangled in branches and snow. The girl ruffled her feathers reservedly, immediately wincing as pain shot through the joint of the injured wing; but still, somehow she found herself able to stretch the mouth into a feeble smile as she faced the woman ahead.

"Sorry..." she said and lowered the head ever so slightly, like a child scolded after disturbing the elders in their discussions. "I'm not usually.. I mean, I'm... I..." The jaw of the girl kept chewing the air as thoughts tumbled through the mind, chaotic enough to keep whatever explanations or apologies from leaving the tongue. A flick of a long curling tail accompanied a moment of silence - then she sighed, took in a deep breath and tried again.

"Hi, Ampere. My name is Riel. I'm looking for my herd. We were separated... There was that huuuuge snowstorm last night, right? We were caught by surprise, and I kind of got lost..." Her smile would have seemed sheepish if it weren't for the troubled look she wore, a frown that darkened the expression of the brilliantly colored face.

"Have you seen them? There were about thirty of us all in all, though I don't know if everyone is still together."

Perhaps it wasn't very wise to entrust the search to this person. No matter how the young mare twisted and turned the situation this Ampere woman was strange, from the way she looked to how she just appeared out of nowhere like that. Granted Riel had been rather loud, but how often did you see strangers come to help other strangers out of sheer goodwill? Not very often at all, in her opinion.

Still, what choice did she have. This was the first living person she had come across since that horrible night, and frankly the sparrow was glad that she wasn't completely on her own anymore. She'd had quite enough of dark, cold, snowy forests with creaking trees and nothing but her own wings to warm herself - even though she had four of them it didn't amount to much against the forces of these northern winters. Sighing faintly she shook the head with a ring of silver bells as silken tresses and braided tassels jumbled through the air, and displaying a rather naive level of trust she inched closer to the black-skinned woman in search of some small amount of warmth and companionship.

Even if it was just for a moment, it would be much needed and highly welcomed.

Image Credits

Helovia Hard Mode

Will you still love me
I know you will

Ampere had a habit of flustering others and immediately felt sorry for doing so to this girl. It seems she had a lot to learn about successfully greeting and recruiting others, considering much of her previous Threshold time had been used to tease strangers or flirt with stallions.

Even ruffled though, this girl was not afraid, and Ampere took a liking to that.

"No need," Ampere broke in when the stranger began to apologize, almost as uncomfortable as her. The last things he wanted to feel like was some chiding mother. Awkwardly she rearranged her wings as the girl stammered on, noticing the mare's pair as she did so. Astonishingly she boasted four, something Ampere had never seen, but heard of. A bit in awe she studied them, noticing one appeared injured with the way it was held.

A sigh broke Ampere's attention. Her gaze shifted back to the mare's eyes, which were a dull sort of grey, further emphasized by the brilliant shine of the palomino coat that framed them. They seemed almost sad in a way.
In comparison, Ampere's eyes were so blue they had their own fierceness, gripping whatever they looked upon with an intensity that matched Ampere's personality.

"Afraid I don't run into much snow in the desert lands," Ampere replied, frowning over the fact there'd been a big storm which she knew nothing about. The expression remained with the prospect of a herd of thirty being lost to it. Perhaps this girl had traveled further than she thought? Gently Ampere shook her head, silently answering. No wonder those grey eyes looked sad.

"I've not seen a group as large as you mention besides the others herds here in Helovia. How long have you been traveling?" Ampere tilted her head in a questioning manner, her ears continuing to flick around them, still searching for any wraiths that might interrupt "I can help you look though, but first, are you hungry?" Ampere tried to sound hopeful for the sake of the golden girl, but she didn't have much belief they'd find anyone. She proffered a weak smile, hoping to convince either of them.

A M P E R E

LovellaTorendo

The hopeful look that had rested on her features dimmed like a candle hidden behind a screen, sunlight veiled by a very dark cloud and with a soft breath something deflated her posture. Her long neck lowered in defeat, and it was with a voice thick and bordering on tearful that she replied - and it became quite apparent that she hadn't registered the mention of the 'desert' spoken of by the older woman.

"I'm not really sure" the girl said quietly. "I mean, it's been a day since the storm but before that we had been traveling for a rather long time. We were headed for our usual summer pastures, but the road we usually take has been blocked and we were forced off course... I.. I guess I didn't really pay attention, it's the elders who decide when we move and stop." The wings on her back stretched and refolded guiltily - quite a sight with so many of them moving at once - and she tried to sneak a peek up at Ampere without really lifting the head, too weighed down by the burden she carried to keep up the brave facade.

When an offer for aid and food was extended to her however, Riel felt and heard her stomach give off a loud groan, a rumble like the growl of a desert lion. Blushing and embarrassed she nodded sheepishly - she hadn't stopped to eat since she awoke from the fall, too busy running around in search of her kin to bother.

"I don't want to impose though..." the sparrow tweeted uncertainly, quite intimidated by the intensity of the black mare's eyes.

Image Credits

Helovia Hard Mode

Will you still love me
I know you will

Ampere wasn't sure what to say to the mounting despair of the younger girl, so she stood silent, her lips pulled into a weak smile that promised a hope she didn't feel. Her posture remained strong and sturdy, though her heart fluttered with mounting anxiety.

It was a relief when the mention of food was able to distract the golden girl from her downward spiral of despair. Ampere couldn't blame her for it, having experienced her own losses in the past. The difference was she'd always been more or less on her own, even when sharing company. For Ampere their absence was more of a growth of quietness, where as for Riel the loss was everything she had ever known. Ampere couldn't fully understand the weight of that, but she sympathized.

We don't know that they're gone yet, she reminded herself too, not willing to give up before they'd even started.

"Don't worry, there's plenty to go around, our family is small still." Ampere's voice managed to be more upbeat, her smile firming on her features. She even forgot to watch for the wraiths. Instead the dunes of the desert danced in her mind's eye, beautifully exotic and bountiful in their own right. They were inviting, and they would do well to mend a traveler's weariness. She was not ashamed of their herd size, nowhere near the thirty head this girl came from, they were her brothers and her sisters of the sand and she was proud of them.

"You look like you need the rest," Ampere added, realizing as soon as she said it that it might seem rude. Go figure even when she wasn't trying to be. "On the way you can tell me about your herd, so that I'll know them when I see them." Ampere interjected hurriedly, trying to sound hopeful.

She began to lift her dark wings from her back, stretching them in preparation for flight, before remembering Riel's appeared injured. Her gaze remained fixed on the palomino, gauging how she might choose to use her wings, or lack there of. If they had to hoof it the time would definitely be longer and the path more dangerous, but Ampere couldn't abandon her now especially. She had made a promise to help, and she would.
As she watched for a sign Ampere's mind itched with questions about the bizarre set of appendages. If one was injured, were three still good enough? Did all of her family have four wings? They'd surely have enough to talk about on their journey.
"I'd love to know more about your four wings, they're beautiful," Ampere breathed, truly transfixed by them. She hoped too that the compliment might distract the mare from her worries, if only for a while.

Ampere had a warmth to her, it was just usually overshadowed by her jolting anger; an anger for all the injustice in the world. This was an injustice surely, but not one either of them could change. Often the world was hard and sometimes there was nothing you could do to change that, no matter how much you fought.

A M P E R E

LovellaTorendo

Riel accepted this information without question, simply nodding the lithe, chiseled head before finally managing to raise the neck a few inches. She had started to walk again within seconds, but paused to look over at Ampere as the black mare stretched the wings and hesitated; the measuring look at her shoulders didn't go unnoticed.

"Sorry" she said with a slight smile, the expression apologetic; "I would fly if I could... but extra wings add extra weight, and just two won't be enough to carry me." She stretched out the uppermost wing on the right in its entirety and raised it high enough for her guide to see, displaying the impressive length yet somewhat lacking width and sparsity between secondary feathers that explained the need for a double set.

"I have to overlap them like this" she continued as the second wing stretched wide and covered the gaps of the first - seemingly unperturbed by the unveiled interest from the older female - "and then beat them simultaneously..." She made a slow movement of the pair to mimic a stroke through the air... then lowered both wings with a sigh and folded them back in place. "It's more troublesome than convenient really" the sparrow added and managed a brief smile, glad to have something else to talk about as she once again started to walk, expecting Ampere to catch up and take the lead, "but most other people seem to think it's really impressive. The wingless of the place I come from call us Angel Blood or Seraphim and act all subservient, expecting us to be able to solve all the problems between heaven and earth..." She rolled the pale gray eyes and smirked, hints of spunk and humor shining through the downcast expression to whisper of the merry, untroubled and high spirited child she normally was.

"We're really normal though" the girl added in quickly and stared intently at the blue-jay as if wishing to quell any expectations before they could arise. "The only thing special is that some family bloodlines have a gift for healing, and it's really really rare... There hasn't been any for generations, that I know of."

"There are other, more interesting people to pick from if you absolutely have to be ruled by someone. Like the crowned ones, there are plenty of them that can do amazing things... My best friend, Kehar, is like that, he makes it rain when he is sad, and when he gets angry you can feel the wind start to blow all around... I used to tease him really badly when I was little because I wanted to see it" she admitted, the grin she made carrying equal parts guilt and sharp-toothed mirth that hinted she might not necessarily have stopped teasing just because they became older.

"Our herd was a mixed group really.. A few clans of us double wings, some horned families, barren strays that didn't want to stay with their own herds and quite a few travelers of other creatures that were on their way from one place to another and ended up staying with us rather than continuing onwards... We even had a lion with us for a while, but she left after just a season because it became too tempting for her to remain."

The memory made her eyes shimmer and dazzle with memories for a long while as she moved through the forest, sustained by new hope and the promise of food and rest - but eventually this high spirit faded and Riel grew quiet again, subdued as reality returned to her. It was all well and good that she would be able to keep looking for them all, but even her optimistic nature couldn't stifle the probability that most of the families likely had separated by now. They had been a loose community joined together by convenience - and if one group was separated from the others they likely wouldn't bother searching for the rest for more than a few hours. The people she really needed to find was her parents and two siblings; or any who could tell her where they had gone. She told Ampere all of this too, but after that the gold-skinned sparrow seemed to close up on herself, retreating into memories and unspoken hopes and wishes - anything that would let her cope with the loneliness that seemed to squeeze all breath from her lungs.

@[Ampere]
ooc: we can keep going if you want to, I'd love to wrap things up soon tho. :3

Image Credits

Helovia Hard Mode

Will you still love me
I know you will

[Chan I just have to say you are a beautiful writer and make such different characters, it's a joy rping with you <3]

It didn't take long for Ampere to feel foolish (it usually didn't) as Riel began to explain her unusual wings, such as they were to Ampere. The golden girl was kind, enormously so, and the creeping embarrassment Ampere felt was placed on her shoulders by her own hooves, but it didn't change the sensation any less. Sometimes it was easy to forget she was still a child herself; the world was good at asking that of her young.

"It's fine, the walk will give us more time to talk," Ampere said with a smile, quickly picking up pace beside Riel. "We'll have to fly together at least once though, for fun." Ampere winked then fell quiet, letting Riel finish. As she did, Ampere kept one ear trained on her steady voice, while the other flicked back and forth, her gaze at times sweeping through the trees and peering into the shadowy depths of thickets and shrubs. The forest was a complex mixture of noisy silence, but if you paid enough attention, it would whisper to you of its dangers.

"Seems like mortals will always find something to call a god," Ampere began with a mutter, her gaze shifting back to Riel. "Always needing something to be envious of and ...something to blame." She shook her head and sighed slowly, the sound whistling through her nose. "In the end though, we always have to save ourselves, otherwise why exist?"

Ampere paused, then laughed abruptly, realizing she may have gotten too deep on that subject.

Helovia had gods, ones Ampere was even beginning to trust, but she did not expect prayer alone would save her soul, and she didn't want it to. The God of the Sun's light had lit up the path for her to walk, but her hooves had been the ones to make that trip.
"Normal is okay, but it might be fun to be a god," Ampere said with a sly smile, her gaze peering sideways at Riel, whom she noticed was growing more comfortable. Ampere was loosening up too, her crown forgotten in the company of someone so easy to talk to. "You could convince them to stand on one leg and serenade you - everyone knows that makes prayers travel faster."

Ampere grinned as Riel continued to talk, telling of her friend Kehar. It reminded Ampere of Taz and Zar, and her heart ached in a way that was both happy and sad. She hoped if they could find anyone from her herd it would be this elemental boy, just so the sparrow wouldn't have to feel that. Family is one thing, but a friend you grew up with was quite another.
"Do you mean magic?" Ampere asked after laughing about Kehar. Around them the dead leaf litter of the forest and topsoil began to shift. It vibrated at first, with a gentle hum, the sound gradually increasing as the substance turned a bluish color and finally with a pop! shifted into a spark. The multitude of them drew into one another, creating a mass of hissing, jumping electricity. Ampere was grinning, absorbed like a craftshorse in her work as she shaped the lightning orb into a small bird. She sent it flittering around the air in front of them, its song the low, but steady hum of pure energy; beautiful, but dangerous. "Like this?"

"Many here are magical, though this place definitely has more of it than others I saw in my childhood, when I traveled." Ampere let the bird lead them, smiling at it with a fondness rarely shown otherwise. These creatures often comforted Ampere - she understood the allure of all those who bonded to companions, but that understanding did not make it any more right.

The forest thinned as the girls walked south, each sharing bits of themselves and their past.

[I thought we could end this thread here and if you want start a new one in the Throat?]

A M P E R E