the Rift

[OPEN] Do Giraffes Float? [Open]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

k a h l u a

As the winter came to a close, the painted queen could almost feel the warmer air blowing through the trees from the ocean. And if she closed her eyes she could hear the spring birds chirping, the small mammals rustling through the underbrush, the activity and life that spring always seems to breathe into a herd. It had been a long, hard winter. Spring could not come soon enough.

With a happy whinny, Kahlua broke into a canter, headed into the woods to who knows wear, simply feeling the need to stretch her limbs and run. It had been too long since she had just had fun. So much of her life was burdened by tasks and goals, trying so hard to meet them all, that she was afraid she as losing some of the childish youth that was so inherently Kahlua. But no, she would never lose that brilliance that made her... her. It was just buried away slightly, awaiting a moment when it could shine through again.

When the queen finally stopped running, her body slightly damp from the exertion, she found herself at the borders of the land, the crumbled remains of her wall standing before her. With a frown, she looked along the line of shattered glass and picked a particularly empty space to walk through, moving just outside the borders and then walking East along the line. Shaking her head, she thought back to the day when Mirage had asked her to become Glazier, asked her to build this wall to keep the Edge safe. It had seemed so important then, so imperative. But now it was just an obstacle in her way, nothing more. She hoped the Glaziers would not get it in their head to fix it. She almost liked it better this way.

But the painted queen was not made to be sad for long and like the blowing wind, any sadness she had about the situation was whisked from her mind and she was complacent again. A cheerful whinny fell from her lips then, welcoming any company that was near.

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes

Image Credits ::  Table by Time

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

The trip back to the Edge had been, in a word, slow. Alysanne, with her endless amounts of patience, thought it would be best. She had lingered by the beach for a while – happy that the worst of winter had passed before she had found the little life she cared for now – and again by the lake in the grove so that Hemlock could have a bit of a rest. And now, now was the last part of their journey. She was so happy the weather was cooperating; this would have been a lot more difficult had there been rain or even a late-winter snowstorm. She probably would have held up in the woods between the beach and here, waiting it out!

Of course, Hemlock was a lot hardier than she gave him credit for – but how was Alysanne supposed to know? He was so tiny, smaller than her nose, and looked so fragile.

She was approaching the wall, looking for a safe spot to easily navigate through, when she heard a very familiar voice call out. Emerging from the trees, Alysanne’s smile lit up at the sight of her beautiful queen and dearest friend – Kahlua! Instead of racing towards her as she would normally do, the painted pegasus whinnied a response as she slowly made her way over, mindful of the little owl on her back, nestled in the feathers on her withers. “Kahlua! How are you, my dear?” It was so good to see her above ground, with a cheerful look back on her face. Alysanne’s own face was quite lit up itself as she moved gracefully to greet the other mare, stopping just before her.

Rather sooner than she expected, her excitement over the events of the day took over and she couldn’t contain the words. This might be an ordinary occurrence in Helovia but it had happened to her and even with all the mess of fears, she wanted to share this with Kahlua. “You’ll never guess what I found!” Turning just a little now, she carefully lowered one of her wings so that Kahlua could peer in and see, amongst the soft white feathers, a down-covered little chick with his eyes still closed. There was no lack of adoration in her voice when she spoke again. “His name is Hemlock - isn’t he adorable?” Alysanne had no trouble seeing how cute the little mess of skin and feathers was, though she worried that not everyone would pick up on it.

hope you don't mind us crashing this thread xD
also for reference, Hemlock would look something like this right now: baby owl

Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

The World’s Edge quickly proved more hospitable than its name may have suggested. Though it was not my forest, I forgave its flaws. Perhaps the taste of spring in the air persuaded me to better humor than was usual – or perhaps I was merely improved by events of past days, the reunion of my wretched self and a good friend, the discovery of a place where I belonged, the peace of tedium returning to my life. Though rangy yet and a little stiff under my blanket of winter hair, I moved easily through the forest. Only a few days previous, I had discovered a proliferation of small springs bubbling up from the ground, here and there. Discovering more proved an intellectual challenge befitting a younger creature, but I felt a rare surge of satisfaction as I stumbled upon another, wondering all the while what fed them – some network of underground rivers? Or magic, perhaps? I recalled briefly the sight of the great wall, its impressive façade marred by damage, and supposed the inhabitants of the Edge must be skilled magic users beyond healing. Alongside them, I felt shabby – plain.

The sound of a voice not far-off drew my attention from mundane pursuits. I did not clearly recognize the noise, though I was hardly surprised. Of the herd gathered within these trees, I knew only Evangeline that well – a situation that ought to be remedied. Slowly, then, I turned in the direction of the call and moved, hoping I would not find myself an intruder upon arrival. It held the sound of no specific name; I still measured my steps to a leisurely stride, apprehension biting at my thoughts. Had I become so reclusive in my time alone? So timid? I had shouted at kings and peasants alike – but in another life. With a small sigh, I broke through the trees, eyes resting on a pair of familiar figures, now I had them in sight: spotted mares, one winged. My mood softened by degrees; I recognized them both, though only recalled Kahlua by name – my new queen. She and the other mare appeared to be in conversation; stymied by the proximity, curious only slightly about whatever the pegasus shuffled on her back, I paused several strides away, near enough that I might speak normally but far enough to pose no threat.

”Kahlua.” A small nod of the head, respectful enough. I had grown manners, at some time far in the past. They had, like much else, begun to decay over time. Less comfortably, I glanced at the other mare. ”I do not recall your name, but I believe we have met – under less fortunate circumstances.” Simpering, I cocked my head. ”Good to see you about. I hope I am not interrupting?” I could go no farther in asking about the subject of their conversation, though I found myself immensely curious. How irritating, to be at the bottom of the pecking order again… I found myself chafing against my thin veneer of civility, though neither mare had caused me insult. It was merely – I had long been alone, or else a figure of authority. And yet before them I stood powerless and shabby, impressive to none. Defeat was bitter in the back of my mouth, even if it had been sown quite long ago, and my own actions.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

[ Hope you don't mind me jumping in, too! ]

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Aurelia</style>
I watch the small serpent in front of me squirm around everything. It's lizard-like body easily twisting to avoid shards of damaged glass from a wall that seems to have been destroyed. Every once in a while, I find myself panicking, thinking I've lost the little snake, but it turns out it's just camouflaged in the ground. I notice that the air is cooler, but there is not much snow. It seems as if the dense woods have created a sort of umbrella, protecting the World's Edge horses from the cold snow.

When this snake and I started walking, the little girl (at least I think it's a girl?) didn't need many breaks, but as we walked further and further, more and more breaks were needed. This little girl is tired, so I decide to carry her in a different way. I nicker softly at the baby to get her attention. She stops slithering and turns to look at me with small and helpless eyes. I melt inside, but I don't know if I can keep her. Should I keep her? Isn't it wrong to keep a wild animal as a pet?

Slowly, I bend my neck, dropping my head to the ground. The little snake is confused at first, but then understands what to do. She slithers towards my muzzle, which rests firmly on the ground, and starts to lift her front half off of the ground. She is able to haul her face next to my eye, which I swiftly close, afraid she might bump into it and scratch my cornea. I move my pink lips around in the ground, making a hole, so my head is even lower. The small snake is able to reach my ear, where she effectively curls around it. Ever so slowly, I lift my head off of the ground. Her body shifts slightly, and she tightens her grip around my ear and curls her tail around my other ear.

I have a snake crown now, but I wonder... Do I look funny?

I start walking, carefully, and evenly. I make sure I don't trip, so this little snake doesn't fall from her perch in between my white ears. A minute or two pass and I am more comfortable with the feeling and I know she is secure. I allow my pace to quicken into a trot, which is a daring and cocky actoin, but I think the little snake can hang on.

“His name is Hemlock - isn’t he adorable?” The voice of Aly speaks out into the air and I am filled with excitement that makes my body lurch into a smooth canter. I let out a high-pitched squeal, barely containing my excitement. The last time I saw Aly, she was in a dark cave. Today, she must be here, in our home... in the light.

”Good to see you about. I hope I am not interrupting?” His voice is masculine, and as he talks, my cranium rotates towards the sound. I see that they have gathered in a group of three here. Two faces, I recognize, but this last face is foreign to me. A smile erupts onto my face as I slow to a halt. "G'day Queen Kahlua." I dip my head respectfully. "Alysanne, you look so good!" I nodded my head to further my point. Seeing you in a dark cave was pleasant, but in the light.. more so." Perhaps a compliment. I feel guilty for being short and not the friendliest with her when I first met her. She was nice and sweet, but I was a grouchy foal. "Hello, sir. I'm Aurelia, a Philosopher." I state my name and rank, hoping he'll do the same. Is he a visiting outcast or something very powerful... like a warrior? Perhaps he's become a nurse or crafter? The possibilities aren't exactly endless, but there are a lot. Now, I look at this stallion. He is handsome, but I've just had a rather intimate night a few days ago. I'm fearful that I am pregnant, but not totally sure. This isn't exactly.. the best of times to be heavy with a foal, either.

The worst part is... I'm not even sure who the father is.

The options are Voodoo (who curses and looks like he's been out drinking blood) or Rostislav (who's been drinking Vodka). I'm no great mare... I'm a barely grown mare, lost and confused in the shuffle known as Helovia. Note thinks everyone like me just leaves, but I'm going to prove him wrong... I'm going to stay. Pregnant or not, I can organize this shuffle.

I know I can.

Walk walk walk walk walk
talk talk talk talk
ooc:; :D Sarah and I decided to crash this thread instead of making a whole new one! Hope you don't mind, sev! <'3
oh, tell me, what's the matter?</style>

image credits

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

k a h l u a

Her call worked and the queen was not alone for long. As it always seemed to happen, Alysanne showed up just when the queen was needing her. Her pleasant smile turned brilliant as she saw the mare and her direction of travel was quickly adjusted to head towards her winged look-alike. Picking her own way through the shards of broken glass, the queen hardly noticed that Alysanne moved somewhat slower on this day than normal, but when she finally met Aly in the middle, Kahlua's smile had grown from pleasant to beaming. “So happy to be home, happier to see you again,” she responded without thought, the words easy to say because they were so true.

Peaking her head in around Aly's wing, Kahlua gasped with excitement for the girl. “Oh Aly, he's perfect,” she said decidedly, wrapping her neck gently around Aly's (if she didn't move) in excitement for her friend. Even tiny, scrawny owls were adorable to Kahlua, who found all manner of companion cute or otherwise interesting to look at. But Kahlua did not have time to say much else, for two new horses quickly burst onto the scene, turning this happy reunion into a merry party.

“Ruske, Aurelia,” her voice danced as she turned her smile in turn to each of them, nodding her head in greeting, blue eyes laying a moment longer on Ruske, only to see if he had healed well from his previous battle with death. But as he seemed healthy and well, Kahlua did not give much thought to the matter. Instead, she progressed to bouncing, trotting to each, offering them a touch of her nose to their shoulder, if they would have it. Perhaps she was too friendly, too ignorant of personal bubbles, but for all her time here she had only found this invasive manor to bring her friendship. Even Mauja, stone cold and distant, had warmed to her.

As she withdrew from Aurelia, the queen did notice the snake wrapped delicately around her ears, reminding her very much of the headband she had crafted Aly some seasons past. “You are not interrupting at all,” she added after, confirming that Ruske's presence was not only tolerated, but welcomed.

Stepping back, so she was able to see them all, the Sunshower glanced back at the wall that had been causing her so much trouble. True, that Aly was her only real Counsil member among this group, but the thoughts of her herd meant just as much, and the queen was quick to lay her troubles upon others anyway. “What do you think of walls,” she burst out suddenly with a heavy sigh, the sound more or less giving away the queen's thoughts upon the wall- distaste at best now that she had experienced being trapped within it. Hopefully the three before her would have insight on the matter, she could surely use the help.

@[Alysanne]- So sorry for the wait, guys. I'm finally getting back on my feet and trying to catch up!

As always, she accepted the hug from Kahlua gladly – her heart ever lighter for being in the presence of the mare - and was delighted to have a favourable reaction about Hemlock. In reaction to hearing another voice, the little owlet wearily lifted his head and, for the very first time, opened those dark eyes to give the queen what could have very well been a glare before nestling back to sleep. “Isn’t he?” Perhaps he would be a little more interested in what was going on when he was a little older but Alysanne didn’t care. He could sleep forever on her back if that was what made him happy. If the past several days were any indication, that might just be his favourite pastime!

She was just replacing her wing back to her side when they were joined by Ruske and once more she found herself in awe of Resplendence’s healing powers – for he certainly seemed to be doing quite well! Though he seemed a little hesitant to move closer but hopefully that would change soon enough. They were friendly mares, after all. It was with a faint touch of embarrassment that she realized she had not introduced herself last time they had met. In her defense, there had been a lot going on! “I am sorry that I didn’t around to introducing myself last time, but I’m glad you’re feeling better and that you’ve decided to hang around! I’m Alysanne – but just Aly would be wonderful.” She had gotten so used to the short form that using her full name felt rather formal. Her warm smile echoed Kahlua’s words – he certainly was not interrupting and he was most welcome! “It is great to meet you officially."

Their group swelled by another number with the coming of Aurelia. It was not so very long ago that the two had met, when they had made promises to visit each other in their homes, and now the girl had come to stay here at the Edge! Bright summer-green eyes did not lose that smile as she welcomed the younger mare into their little conversation. “And it’s wonderful to see you again, Aurelia. The sunshine suits you. I’m so happy you’ve come to stay here! How are you liking the Edge so far?”

Greetings over with, they settled into an easy formation for speaking when their queen spoke a rather random seeming question about walls. Picking up on Kahlua’s tone, it was easy to note that the new queen had grown to dislike the wall she had help to build not so very long ago. It had just been finished about the time that Alysanne had arrived here. Concern flickering into her eyes, Alysanne looked over to the wall for a moment, considering it, before refocusing on her friend. “Walls are useful and this one was beautiful, you did such a lovely job on it.” Concern growing into a smile as she spoke the compliment. It truly was beautiful, and even in ruins it looked lovely, though the concept behind it had confused the peaceful mare. Were invasions that common here? It had done nothing to keep out the sickness that had taken them, taken Kahlua and Aurelia, and forced them all into caves. “Though after living in those caves, I think we’ve all had enough of walls.” The word ‘trapped’ bounces around her mind, but she can’t bring herself to say it. She can’t speak anything more negative about that wall because of the connection it had to her friend. Kahlua and her brilliant skills helped to make that wall. She can't talk about how she didn't quite feel free when she was within these walls, though she understood why they had been built.

She can’t even speak about how taking down the wall would make the Edge seem more welcoming, less defensive, and how it would be so fitting for the reign of their new king and queen. A compliment for the present but an insult for the past and she didn’t know which one had more weight.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Unregistered
 Ruske</style>

My first impressions proved surprisingly correct as the two mares I initially chanced upon greeted me warmly. Alysanne; I nodded to the pegasus, only a little bemused by the her vigor. With whatever she shared with Kahlua stowed between her wings once more, I surmised my curiosity best left forgotten until a later date. Unfortunate. ”No need to apologize,” I murmured, the words nearly under my breath – embarrassed, perhaps? Overwhelmed, more accurately. Some vigor had returned to my stride, but I hardly possessed the alacrity of a younger beast. ”I am glad to have your name at last, however. I owe you all a debt of gratitude I hope to one day repay.” Though perhaps I could not do so with quite the joy both Alysanne and Kahlua radiated.

Though I found myself content with the company of only the two mares, another joined our group shortly: female, pegasus. She wore a serpent like a crown. Interest piqued, I turned to watch more formally as she greeted the others. Aurelia. She seemed quite taken with Alysanne; I merely nodded to answer her greeting, supposing I was likely not quite to her taste (and all very well… the mind wanders where the body ought not). ”A pleasure to meet you as well, Aurelia.” I wondered if I would ever untangle these names when the time came again. ”My name is Ruske; I am only recently a nurse for the herd.” At least my reputation did not proceed me beyond those who had witnessed my initial state. One of my ears twitched nervously. I disliked the thought of being he, the sickly one. I ought to find some other way of standing out.

Kahlua interrupted my thoughts with a question – surprising, given the motley group here assorted. ”What do you think of the walls?” I turned to peer at the ruined structure as she did. In truth, I had studied them little since my arrival. They recalled old ambitions perhaps too keenly, but more to the point, I disliked the sensation of walking in such a shadow, like the corroded skeleton of something massive – violent. They drew from me no sensation of joy, I could be sure. But did she wish to hear such an opinion? I stood silent as Alysanne spoke first, no doubt more qualified to voice an opinion than I.

”I think we’ve all had enough of walls” – and what about caves? I sensed a history unspoken, but rather than ask, decided to refrain from abusing the current topic. Perhaps, in later travels, I might inquire elsewhere… Caves. Had they been living underground? Then how had they eaten? Frowning, I studied the wall again, my thoughts in turmoil. But I found Alysanne’s opinion lacking – political, truly, but of little substance. Ever a man unable to control his tongue, I cleared my throat with a rumble. ”I cannot say I understand the history behind yours, or the use, but they seem an odd feature for a land dedicated to peace. One feels a certain dissonance in their presence and yours, Kahlua.” I fell silent a moment, ruminating. The next words burst forth of necessity, painful and almost hungry. ”Surely there is a better use for the master who crafted them?” Alysanne’s words implied the individual in question was Kahlua herself – or was it merely an aspect of royal attribution? I could not be sure, and so left my words vague. Thus falling silent, I studied the queen for a reaction – and the others as well. Warm though they seemed, I anticipated their response with some anxiety – I had known a few to be kind until provoked, and did not wish to wear out my welcome. Though perhaps it was better to know the nature of my companions outright, after all.

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"talk talk talk"

“Ruske, Aurelia," Her voice echoes in my mind. I now understand that I want to be closer to her. A friend, perhaps. She is sweet and bold, while I am mostly bold, but a coward at times. How can Kahlua reign so beautifully over these lands without an obvious drive to want to lead Queen? The answer could either be simple or complicated, but whichever it is, it is unknown to me. Of course, I can make assumptions such as a god asking her to do it, an enemy herd she wants to take over, revenge, or anything, really.

My mouth drops into an 'O' shape that I do not think Kahlua can see. She reaches forwards after approaching me, then bumps my shoulder. The way her head is placed, I hope she cannot see my actions. If she did see them, I may loose my chance at friendship with her, and I don't want to do that. Kahlua is amazingly nice. She is sweet and caring, and I need to surround myself with horses like her. Who knows, maybe her sweetness will rub off on me and I will be a happier mare.

I just need to see things the way Kahlua does.

Rain? No, it's not scary. Rain feeds the grass and gives us life, thus, I must thoroughly admire and love the God of the Earth and any being that has to do with grass. Oh, but the sun is fantabulous, also! It warm our back on cold spring days. Don't Get me wrong, though. Cold is great, too! It gives us a break from the hot dessert sands. Don't get me wrong, I love desserts. I used to live in a dessert, but moved here to these forests!

The thought of an over-happy me is almost appalling. I do not see things that way. I see rain and immediately think about drowning. I see grass and wonder if it's been poisoned in some way. I do not admire anyone. I follow them. I follow the gods, not mortals. I don't follow a Queen and King, I follow my heart.

The only horse that has ever made me ecstatic, grateful, and jubilent at the same time was the wise oracle of the Dragon's Throat. With one wing, she managed to take me into her home from the Threshold. She saved me. She saved me. For that, I believed I am indebted to her. Aly has made me content and happy, but she hasn't saved my life. All my friends make me happy, but they don't make me feel as safe as I feel with the OneWing.

“And it’s wonderful to see you again, Aurelia. The sunshine suits you. I’m so happy you’ve come to stay here! How are you liking the Edge so far?” I let a big smile crawl across my face. "Oh goodness, Alysanne!" I can't help but let my tone ooze excitement and joy. I say her full name, as I think it's beautiful and unique... I like beautiful and unique. "World's Edge has become my home, now. I've already recruited a member named Draeseong, with the help of this white mare, whose name has actually slipped from my mind..." My smile fades into a more confused one. I can't remember her name, but I know that they had the hots for each other. The chemistry between them brewing the second he walked into Helovia and she was there to greet him. "I've also got a companion, guys!" I squeal my words, excited to tell my friends. I am as excited as Alysanne was to tell Kahlua, which I saw briefly. I flick my head softly and the snake crown bubbles to life.

The snake crown is Shilva.

She lets out a slight hiss as her forked tongue juts in and out of her mouth. I think she is grumpy, because I have just woken her up. As black eyes pop open, she looks around to the small group. What she is thinking remains a mystery. She grips my ears with her relatively short body, making sure her grip is strong. Slowly, but surely, the baby loosens her death-grip and gives my ears a chance to breath. She must be nervous or scared of falling off my poll, as I have noticed she tightens her grip when around new horses, when I'm flying, and when I trip. "She sleeps a lot." A bright smile returns to my face.

I am extremely happy to be here, home.

”My name is Ruske; I am only recently a nurse for the herd.” My attention snaps on him. I take in his rather beautiful appearance, and attempt to get to know the horse behind the skin. "Ruske." His name is spoken with my rich and full tones. Each letter being pronounced properly, for the most part. My no-more-baby, but mature voice easily filling the air with sound. That sound being his name and my voice. I like his name, if you can't tell. It's unique, easy to remember, and comes to mind rather quickly when looking at this stallion. "That's a really pretty name you got there, Ruske." I pause for a moment, taking in a sharp breth before continuing. "And I now know who to go to when I'm injured or sick."

The conversation doesn't take a break. Each word spoken right after the previous. Kahlua asks: What do you think of walls? By her tone it is clear she is against them, and I agree. "It must've been beautiful, but I do not enjoy being a caged bird." My mouth sets into a hard line, proving my displeasure with the wall. "I think we need a clean up crew to remove the glass, so it doesn't stab our hooves, for that is a painful event." Thin blades of grass cutting into your delicate frogs seems so unpleasant that I cannot even bare the thought. "Maybe once everything is cleaned up, instead of making a wall, we could make a statue of the moon goddess, to show our gratitude?" I offer this idea, in hopes that we can somehow show our gratitude. I am extremely happy to have this home, and I want to make sure the Goddess of the Moon knows it.

ooc:; Please note: I tried really hard to cut out the fluff. Aurelia just wanted a long post. ;u;

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

k a h l u a

As the pleasantries flew through the air, one greeting another, names shared, smiles exchanged, glances and nods given, Kahlua hummed along quietly. This chaos- this close, lovely chaos- was what she lived for. Each day as Queen, each moment she spent leading her herd through Helovia's recovery, brought her joy. The same way she had felt as Glazier, Kahlua was fulfilled. To find more happiness when she had already been happy was the best feeling in the world. Now she only needed to share it with the world.

“Good work, thank you,” the paint offered to Aurelia at her mention of a stallion, Draesong. Kahlua made a note to meet him, if she could. But ah, this was why life was easy. Even those things that troubled her- walls and darkness- could be chased from her life with the simple chatter of friends. “Brisa,” she added absent-mindedly afterwords. The white mare- there was no other in the woods like her.

Smiling at the snake with curiosity, thinking of the snake that had ridden in the king of the Throat's antlers when she had met him some time ago, the Sunshower let Aurelia have her time as the center of attention. It was only fair.

But when the time came to turn their attentions to walls, Kahlua was glad that she had picked such a good council. Aly had such a way of looking at things that Kahlua knew she would always be able to count on her when it mattered. She was kind enough to be supportive but thoughtful enough to say what was right. I think we've all had enough of walls. Kahlua nodded. She thought so too. Still, the complement that had preceeded was not unwelcome, and perhaps that was what made this hardest of all. To say goodbye to the wall was to let go of one of the few parts of her crafting past. And yet, she had other memories- a basket, Resplendence's bracelet and box, Aly's headband. Yes, the memories were there all around her. She did not need the wall to guide her.

Before responding to Aly, Kahlua turned to the others, who both seemed eager to speak their opinions as well. The simple queen struggled with Ruske's more formal speech, trying to make sense of his words, but appreciating his opinion. Being around those with different opinions was easy. Being around those with different opinions who wanted to be rude or fight... that was a little more difficult. No, in this moment, she was glad Eva had found him and brought him here. And finally Aurelia, the growing child, whose opinion burst forth along with willingness to offer options and ideas. Kahlua smiled. She loved her family.

“Oh,” she said then with an exaggerated exhale of air, a relieved sigh, ears perked, face happy. Animated did not even begin to describe her. “Thank goodness! I've been thinking the same thing myself!” Flicking her tail around her hocks contentedly, she chattered on. “I made it, with the help of the herd, of course, when Mirage was queen.” she offered to Ruske. Humility wasn't a quality she could claim for herself, but at least she had the good sense to mention that there had been help. The dragon queen had cleared the trees, Dragomir and another pulling aside the brush, and too many other to count doing what needed to be done when they had time.

“But the Glazier title now lies with Aaron and Dragomir.” Taking one backwards glance at the wall, Kahlua shook her head and let what final love she had for the thing drift off into the darkness. Her feelings were fleeting, but at least they had been well guided. “Thank you all, I think we'll have to discuss how to get rid of it at the next herd meeting.” And with a decided nod of her head, she began to laugh brilliantly. “Nevermind walls, though, there are happier things to speak of.” She decided to let the other three guide the conversation, take it where they would. To simply be in their company was enough.

@[Alysanne]- My sincerest and most heart felt apologies for the wait. Life has been so crazy.

Ruske might not have possessed the same extroverted joy that Kahlua and Alysanne displayed upon greeting one another (and him, for that matter!) but he was nonetheless quite polite! But at the mention of a debt between him and those that were there, she just shook her head with a kind smile. “Oh no, there is no debt between us. Resplendence was the one that healed you. Your health and friendship is certainly enough.” Alysanne had only been one of the crowd, had only complicated things by getting in the way. Certainly there was no debt between them for that! If anything she should be apologizing further to him for not helping, maybe she could have taken some of the weight from Resplendence. But this may not be the best time for ‘maybe’ and the other worries that were popping up.

She was so incredibly delighted to hear that Aurelia was enjoying her move to the Edge. As the young, golden dappled mare spoke she mentioned a white mare that helped her recruit a new member – and in the same moment that Kahlua quietly mentioned the name, Alysanne did as well: “Brisa.” Her smile widening at the thought of their friend and as a result of thinking of her in unison.

And it seemed that she was not the only one with a new companion – Aurelia had a small, adorable little snake curled around her head. “She’s lovely!” Alysanne offers truthfully, wondering at how coincidental it was that both she and Aurelia would have found companions after their conversation with Ampere in the caves. Hemlock only buried himself deeper into his makeshift nest on her back to escape the sound of the voices, happy to be sheltered once more from her wings. Perhaps when he was older he would be more curious about the world.

Perhaps!

The others offer their responses to Kahlua’s question about the wall – and though all those present (except Kahlua) had become members of the Edge after the decision to built the wall had been made, they all had about the same answer. Just spoken in different ways.

Kahlua’s laugh was something Alysanne would never tire of hearing – she was certain that it would lighten any dark mood. And it certainly brushed aside the topic of the wall with ease. “Happier things indeed!” Just as she was sure that they had all experienced enough walls for some time, Alysanne was equally certain that happier topics were desperately needed for most of the population. The painted pegasus went with the first thing that came to her mind. “Do any of you know anything about baby birds?” She gestured with her head towards the spot where the sleeping Hemlock rested on her back. Maybe the topic of her companion would be more interesting to her than anyone else but she snatched the opportunity to think out loud. “I’m learning as I go, and though Nayati has been helping me with food I can’t help but worry! I was thinking of making him a little nest with some plants and feathers… maybe a couple! One I could keep on my back and one where we sleep.” The idea of making a nest probably sounded easier than it actually was – maybe someone would pipe up and tell her how ridiculous this plan was. “I was planning on looking for some soft materials in the woods if you guys want to give me a hand! It’s a wonderful day for a stroll with some company.”

Well, maybe this wasn’t the most exciting opportunity (especially for Ruske, she imagined) but it was an option! If no one was interested she’d keep an eye out the next time she went looking for herbs to help replenish the garden.

@[Ruske]

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

coming up with topics iz hard.
made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered
 Ruske</style>

Such a bubble of energy these mares created… I stood in silence for the most part, tilting my head only to examine snake belonging to Aurelia. A companion…? One ear swiveled back, I peered at the creature from afar: living and breathing, it appeared. Then it belonged to her? Intriguing; this, too, I stored away for further contemplation. Perhaps in Helovia more creatures than dragons served the function dragons had served in Isilme. It was not so far a conclusion to draw.

When Aurelia’s attention turned to me, I managed only to stare back in mild bemusement. Pretty..? I could not admit to receiving that compliment before, but with a snort of mild laughter, I accepted it. ”Thank you.” She had a good nature about her, as the others did – warm, kind.

To the matter of the wall: I half expected to see anger in Kahlua’s eyes, but she brushed all criticism away with a light, cheerful laughter. And she had made it… I blinked back, confused, unsure of what to say. These creatures operated far beyond my depth – thought on another plane, entirely. I could but nod when she mentioned the others, filing their names away and supposing I might then, some day, find other stallions in the herd. Good fortune or not… I could hardly decide. I began to regret ever approaching these mares. What had I to add to their thoughts? Certainly nothing very happy

I glanced up, thankful, when Alysanne spoke. Something about baby birds – I craned my head as she did, assuming permission to spy on the small bundle of tufted feathers there, between her wings – a bird! Of course, another companion. Did they come in all shapes, then? ”Very little,” I admitted, with a glance at the others. Likely they were better versed in companion care than I, but I supposed I owed some aid, so long as I remained present. Alysanne may have shrugged off my thanks, but I still felt a debt of gratitude, if nothing else, to those who had been present on the day of my arrival.

”They are made with sticks most commonly, yes?” I inquired. ”Sticks and… feathers, perhaps, for softness.” I cast a glance at her own wings, sudden realization forming. ”You don’t…?” But of course pegasi didn’t build nests – what trees would hold them? I bit off the foolish question at the last moment, glancing away as if distracted. Clearing my throat, I added, a little embarrassed, ”I… would certainly help you to look. Perhaps we could first find a nest to use as a model.”

@[Aurelia]