the Rift

[OPEN] here at the not-exactly-hidden falls [finished]

Wilibald Posts: 44
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 14.0 hh :: 8 years
Sarah

Wilibald had a lot of favourite things. He had a favourite activity (not doing activity), favourite food (clovers) and… well, okay those were the two things that seemed to matter enough to require favourites. But one of his favourite pastimes was walking with good company, and the journey to Helovia seemed like a good idea now that he was in familiar territory.

He was wary of walking beside Midas for most of the way – what if those great big wings were to suddenly have a muscle spasm and whack him right in the face? As a colt, the pony had tried to chase a swan that took objection to it – and he did not relish the idea of even larger wings giving him what-for and knocking him out for days. But the wariness subsided as the walk and the conversation continued. Mostly, Wilibald wanted to hear about where they were going – he never tired of hearing how green and wonderful it would be. He did ask a few other questions such as “Are the horses here generally tall like you?” a question that might have been accompanied with no small amount of distain if it weren’t for who he was asking it to.

Midas was odd, there was no getting around it, but he had a good heart.

And Wilibald just wanted a heads up if he found himself surrounded by a bunch of tall strangers. It might make him re-evaluate how long he would be staying here. But if they gave him his space? This could work out. There were other questions he wanted to ask about Helovia but was too afraid to just yet – afraid of the answers that was. But there were other, logical questions that really needed to be asked about Helovia such as “What’s the most dangerous thing about Helovia?” Super important to know and a very, very high chance that Wilibald was going to regret asking that question as soon as he heard the answer. But if he could at least listen to the worst thing ever, then maybe he could forget about it and pretend it never existed. Also he would know what to avoid with all of his energy.

He welcomed any questions about himself or where he had come from, feeling a little homesick as they crossed over hills and through forests until they came to a spot where Wilibald just had to stop and take in a good look. Well, he didn't know if they had made it to where Midas was leading him quite yet (though boy were those legs of his starting to ache) but there were waterfalls. Maybe if this wasn't 'the Hidden Falls' (which didn't seem all that hidden to him, waterfalls kind of stood out) he could stay here anyway. “Yup. That'll do."

Eventually he would remember to ask about the herd Midas belong to. But the promise of a nice, comfortable home combined with the ache in his short legs was far too distracting for now.

@[Midas] and any!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
There was nothing comparable to the ease of conversation between the two of us. It seemed as if we would become fast mates and I rather liked the little fellow for his polite manner and easy going attitude. Our world turned from snow, to thick permafrost that slowly thinned as we drew closer to the towering mountains that covered my new home. He asked about the height of our kind and I smiled, chuckling as my voice rose to respond, “Aye, most are taller sadly,” consoling his concerns (despite us not being very far apart in size) I added, “Horses of shorter girth tend to make the toughest of warriors.” My grin widened until all front teeth could be seen, Kri had been the shortest of us, yet her tongue and wit (not to mention keen eye for battle) couldn’t be matched. I seriously doubted that even now I’d stand a chance against the true Sultana of Dragon’s Throat in proper contest.

To answer his next question I had to think for many long moments, pondering on what exactly made Helovia dangerous. Sure there were the wraiths, the unholy darkness. Even demons. Dragons. But what among those threats could be counted as the most deadly? Shifting to alter our path I uttered softly, lacking previous humor so that he’d know that my meaning wasn’t a jest, “The stupidity of our own kind.” Truthfully what could be worst than our own making a complete and total ass of themselves?

“From what land does ye hail from?” I asked, turning subject to something that was hopefully more pleasant. It wasn’t long before stood at the base of a mighty waterfall. Its cascading droplets fell in waves that could easily snap bones from the sheer force of what came from above. Beyond this waterfall, hidden along a secret path—stood the entrance to home.

I didn’t hesitate pushing our path along the bank and straight up to the tumbling water. Hidden behind the rocks lay a rickety, and slippery path. “Pray ye is sure footed. Tis slippery through here.” I cautioned and started up the slope toward the shallow cave that was hidden behind the cold liquid. Fina soared up and over, entering our home without drawing attention.

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hidden Account
Sarah

Warriors were things of legend, hardly needed in peaceful places - or so he thought. Helovia was like a foalhood tale come to life and Wilibald had not yet decided if he liked the idea of living inside of one of those tales (but he was pretty sure he didn't). They often ended with casualties and death so as to warn foals against going to look for trouble. Bravery was risky. “I’m unlikely to make a tough warrior.” He responded without any sort of disappointment – it was the truth after all. He had neither the build or the desire to go and fight… whatever warriors fought. Each other? Proving how strong they were in order to impress a mate? Fiddlesticks, just make her the biggest pile of food offerings and she’s yours.

The answer to his second question was rather surprising. He had expected to hear about monsters and plagues, something tangibly fearful. If it was just stupidity, well, that was something he could handle.

It was with absolute delight that Wilibald launched into an explanation of the land he had come from – his smile grew and a little spring entered his steps as home danced as a vision inside of his mind. This was something he could share with Midas happily. “The Anduin Valleys are what we call them. Several little lush valleys that my kind migrate through, each more delightful than the last. There’s nothing harsh about it – the mountains keep out the predators and the winter and we are free to eat and sleep and live.” Speaking about home gave him a little pain in his stomach. Homesickness was not a feeling he had been warned about, having not been experienced by many of those that he knew as no one left, but it seemed to be coming in full force.

“This place actually reminds me of it.” The mountains were comforting though Wilibald’s comment was likely lost in the roar of the waterfall. He had thought this was it – that this place lying before the waterfall was Midas’s home, but it turned out that this was only the beginning. “Sure footed enough, I think.” Wilibald was no stranger to mountainous passages, which were not always dry and free of obstacles, and he picked up the path after the winged male – feeling rather eager to see the actual place that he had heard about.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
We climbed along the steep path as agile as mountain hinds; it was wide enough to carry someone of much larger girth than ourselves comfortably, so the footing wasn’t really all that bad, aside from the slippery wet slate that sometimes gave way. “What stirred ye from home?” I asked with curious note, loud enough to be heard above the roar as we emerged from rocky road into the damp darkness of a cave between home and the outside world. Anduin sounded like a wonderful place, a greenscape free of winter and danger. Who would want to travel far from such a clan? Genuinely I wanted to know why he’d chosen to leave, “and your herd, was it a clan of variety? Or did it possess only those of equine blood?” a question born from the way he gazed upon my feathers. Surely my new friend didn’t think I’d not notice those dark eyes casting a lingering glance, longer than most, obviously the fellow was either politely uncomfortably with my species, or he was unaccustomed to it.

Our hooves clipped on wet rock, overhanging stones dripped from the moisture they’ve gathered above. The sun shown brilliantly up ahead though, promising a quick end, reflecting its bright rays off the water so that even the walls seemed to glisten. Our cavern opened up to reveal that we stood upon the edge of a sky-scraping cliff, overlooking a deep valley. To the right and directly beside us a powerful waterfall cascaded down with thundering strength into the lower parts. More falls scattered the mountain range in all directions, the cliffs made a sort of Basin that flourished at various depths. Like a snake, the water descended and spread out to form lakes and rivers. Trees and various vegetation bloomed in the lower lands and covered the hillsides.

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

As they head up past the waterfall, friendly curiosity comes from Midas and Wilibald finds the questions pleasant – and certainly well warranted. He often second-guessed himself about leaving, wondering if it was the right thing to do. He was certainly the first Anduin pony to have travelled so far; many just lingered in the foothills of the mountains and visited the ocean before going back. “Curiosity isn’t a common trait in my kind, but when we reach maturity it often finds it’s way into our minds – we call it ‘Trouble before Ten’ because it usually happens before we’ve seen ten springs. Before we settle down.” It was the general term for the phenomenon, something almost every Anduin Pony went through. “So I became curious about the world outside of our mountain chain and found my way here.” He left it unsaid that he likely would not have come to Helovia if he knew how strange it would have been. It seemed like a cruel mockery of his little bit of curiosity that he would end up here, where so much was odd and made him nervous.

It was with an appropriate sense of embarrassment that Wilibald realized he had not been quite as discrete about his staring as he had originally thought. Ducking his head slightly with an ear flicking back, though the embarrassment coloured his voice easily enough without these outward signs. “I apologize about how I have been staring. The herds were indeed made of only equines. I’ve yet to see another without some sort of adornment since I have come here – though you are the first with wings.” He remembered the sickly looking fellow in that dark forest, the one with the horn. “Does everyone here possess extra limbs?” Wilibald had fit in his entire life – an average pony in an average herd, nothing was odd about him.

Wouldn’t it be a strange twist of fate if he was the odd one out in this place?

The sun shone ahead, and Wilibald found himself rather excited to see what lay on the other side. He had thought where they had begun their ascent was beautiful, but surely what lay ahead would put it to shame.

And of course, it rather did. Moving to stand beside Midas, he took in the sight of the valley before them, with rivers and lakes and trees and all the comforts of home. “Well you did promise me green.” He commented with a grin retaking his features, the embarrassment of before forgotten at least momentarily. On the other side of the waterfall he had been content, but this was something all together rather wonderful. “Simply beautiful.” And with an edge of fondness, he revisited his earlier answer to the question of why he had left the Anduin Valleys. “You see Midas – this right here, this is why I left my home.” To experience foreign lands like this was truly a privilege.

please tag Wilibald in replies
non-lethal force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
His explanation more than suited my question, I could only smile as the older lad explained the meaning of ‘Trouble before ten,’ a saying that fit a good deal of our youth. Though in Helovia…one was lucky to see the flowers bloom on his or her tenth birdsong; our lifespan was normal to that of an average mortal, though more often than not our own selfish nature or the evil acts of others put us in the ground much sooner than ten. Perhaps that was why we encouraged our sucklings to grow strong at a tender age—so they could be ready for the horror of this hauntingly beautiful place.

“I’m glad ye found your way into our land and I hope that your time with us is long and fruitful.” Helovia wasn’t a kind place, but it could be wonderful at times. He seemed to sense the meaning of my question and landed upon proper footing, with a good natured smile I replied softly, “Nay, those with horns are called, Unicorns. They often use them in battle as weapons. Those of us with wings are called, Pegasus. Some are a hybrid of both species. Others are like ye, without—extra attachments.” A well-meant chuckle whelped and escaped without being withheld. This fellow was such a curiosity. "I imagine our home might take some getting used to."

Hidden Falls seemed to please him right away, his smile brightened as the cool northern air washed over us, “Green aplenty,” I jokingly replied. For a few seconds, we both seemed content to allow silence to fall between us as Wilibald took in his home with hungry eyes. “There are other places in Helovia of equal beauty—exotic beauty, this is among my favorites.” Earth god had done his job well, and the gift of this land had been both a blessing and my latest curse. Still, it was hard to deny the absolute splendor of his hand across the landscape, like a finished painting—I was able to present his work with joy.

“If thee is ready, let’s walk down the path and get ye settled in.”

There was a steep path for those that couldn't fly, it descended sharply into the valley. Truth be told my wings inched to spread apart and simply soar down--but that would be rude to leave company alone for the last leg of our journey. Fina cried out from somewhere in the lower green, her voice rang with powerful chimes.

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

Well, it was certainly a comfort to know that he wouldn’t be the only one without something extra, else he might need to fashion something out of branches so that he did not stand out so much. Thankfully, that did not seem to be required. From the easy manner in which Midas spoke about it, all the species must be pretty welcome in Helovia – and if there were hybrids then perhaps they were not quite as different as Wilibald originally thought! Individual species, maybe, but all essentially the same.

Yes… it was a small comfort at least. This new knowledge might go a long way with his logical senses but that didn’t mean he was going to suddenly get used to the strange world he had found himself in.

New world, new terms. At least he knew what to call them instead of ‘bird horse’ and ‘horse with a sharp bone sticking out of their forehead’. Blessed was Wilibald for having met Midas and his patience, many would not have been so good natured about his ignorance. To the comment of how this home might take somet time to get used to - well - Wilibald grinned and a kind chuckle escaped from him. “I’ll say, but you’ve been a great help so far Midas and I greatly appreciate it. I am in your debt for providing me a safe home.” Just how he was going to repay that debt was not something Wilibald knew just yet, nor did he want to think about it quite yet. There were other things on his mind!

Other, beautiful lands are mentioned and Wilibald allowed himself to wonder at what they were like – finding this large, strange world just a little less frightening now that he was faced with such a familiar view. “I should like to see them sometime.” The comment is idle, it’s hard to focus on anything else other than what was before him. And, of course, such adventures would need to be undertaken after a good long sleep and several heavy meals.

He nodded cheerfully to the suggestion of descending and getting settled. What a wonderful word that was. ‘Settled’ – oh it would feel so good. “Marvellous! Now, an important question – are there specially assigned sleeping spots?” Wilibald’s herd had been rather fond of picking particular spots, and everyone was respectful of keeping clear of someone else’s placing, but some of the other Anduin ponies were not so picky and would have a new place every night.

If he was going to be staying here, the sooty pony wanted to get off on a good hoof! It was a grievous insult to sleep in someone else’s spot – especially when you were among the shorter of the population

non-lethal force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
We walked the narrow trail, I had to actually concentrate on my steps—every once in a while one hoof would slip out and successfully startle me enough that feathers would unfurl ever so slightly from their sheath before settling back down. Apparently even Czar’s would make mistakes. Wilibald kept my mind busy from the slipping and sliding, he was as charming as interesting, “Nay, there aren’t assigned bedding arrangements. Many of this herd chooses to sleep among the timbers, while others seem to rest at random." I thought of the old Magnolia back home, and wondered if someone had taken my spot beneath its branches—or even if Cera still took to dreams from underneath its protection.

“Most of the time thee will see signs of claimed sleeping locations—I’d recommend the mixed hardwoods north of fall’s meadow, they seem to be the least occupied and the most comfortable.”

Fina met us at the bottom. She had a lizard locked in her talons and was gleefully picking it apart. A quiet and discreet breath of relief was emitted the moment hooves touched solid soil, my companion snickered without looking up at us. Her flaming feathers a brilliant shine compared to the dull tan dirt. “I never knew ye were afraid of high places.” Giggles were interrupted by the slurping sounds of flesh greedily being sucked down. I shook my head, flicking banner back against hocks sharply.

“She laughs at my climbing and sliding skills,” I translated sleeplessly, turning to offer Wilibald an apologetic grin.
Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

Although Wilibald’s hooves remained sure on the slippery path, he found himself jolting with a bit of fear every time Midas made a little slip. Would those wings prove useful if he were to fall? It wasn’t something that the little pony wanted to see tested! Maybe it was out of a genuine care for the white-and-black stallion or just because the trauma of seeing someone fall to their doom would be too much for his little heart (definitely a combination of those two). Whichever way, he felt himself relaxing every time the slip turned into nothing more.

And, of course, the conversation helped to keep his mind off of the dreadful fate that was just inches away for the pair! “Most comfortable! I quite like the sound of that. And the ‘least occupied’ part has a certain charm to it as well.” Too late did Wilibald realize that last bit was rather unfairly rude of him so he corrected himself hastily with an awkward explosion of words. “Not that I’m expecting your herd here to be well… worthy of getting away from – but a bit of personal space while sleeping is a luxury.” Not something he was used to, with most of the Anduin ponies wanting to snuggle up right close. Wilibald always preferred to keep towards the edge of the group, perhaps one of the only oddities that he had by their customs.

Okay, there might have been a couple more oddities but they hardly mattered anymore when oddities were the new “norm”.

Finally, they made it to the base and a bright smile appeared on the chestnut’s face… until he spotted the fiery bird tearing into a lizard right in front of him. Now, he had seen reddish birds before – cardinals were a little too flashy for him but he had seen them now and then. Sometimes they made his heart jump a little bit whenever they just appeared out of nowhere!

And this was no cardinal.

He did not move from his spot behind Midas, peering cautiously out as he referenced the bird with an apologetic grin. Forgetting the fact that he knew what this bird was thinking the mere presence of the mare was what was tripping him up to start. “She? So um… you have a pet bird?” Really, Wilibald was rather wondering when all of this was going to stop. There could only be so much that was strange about one place… right? So now the birds were just as colourful as everyone else.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
At the word ‘pet,’ Fina visibly bristled, fanning her feathers and igniting the dull flames into a roaring holocaust. She was old enough to understand the term by drawing on my knowledge bank. Despite the impressive show, my phoenix remained largely motionless—predator prow flicked apart halfway, those with a keen eye could see that just a bit of meat was hanging from her creamy jaw. Accusing teal eyes rammed into my traveling companion with what I’d call a pointed look of offense. “Hardly,” the wordless creature hissed in a response that he couldn’t hear. I grinned at Wilibald, knowing well enough that Fina would shine for all her worth but hardly ever fell to rage that would invoke an attack. “Caution, choose thee choice of words brother, she understands our tongue and though ye can’t hear the reply—let me assure ye that yon avian is no pet.

Aureate stare shifted to fan Fina with a warming glow, she stiffened and reluctantly returned to finishing the remainder of that kill. “Fina, is her name—she is my bonded. We are bound by half a soul each. In a sense…” I paused, thinking of how to explain the unexplainable, “She is in me, and I in her.”

Though we couldn’t be further apart in temperament. Glancing back toward Wilibald, “We met when I had seen nearly three Helovian Frostfall’s. She hatched from an egg and it is when our eyes locked that the soul was exchanged. Her thoughts, wishes, and desires are open to me, as are mine.”There was something very intimate about the soul’s that bound themselves to mortal creatures.
Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

Wilibald’s mind was quickly filtering out the parts that were just too much for him to handle and focusing instead on those that he could. So there was a manner in which a horse could share a soul with another animal here – he really was certain he did not want to hear anything more about that. What he was certain about was that he had offended this beautiful, strange bird.

And if there was one thing the little pony could not handle, it was offending anyone. Best to focus on that then how she could speak to Midas within her mind, or even on the little snack that she had found herself. After looking to his winged friend with an apologetic look, he focused his attention on the fiery bird. “Apologies, Fina. I meant no offense by my ignorance. We do not bond with other creatures where I come from. I knew someone who became friends with a cardinal family, keeping them close throughout the year.” His brother, Wilcome, who had been one of the oddest ponies in the bunch. “But you are no cardinal.” He spoke the compliment easily, finding truth in it easily enough. Maybe these flashy looks weren’t his thing but he could maybe see why they would be favoured for some.

Then when Midas spoke again, he explained the connection that was shared with this bright bird. “That is quite incredible.” Was all Wilibald managed to come up with to say – not very much liking the idea of someone else insides his head. But then, he also didn’t like the idea of having wings or a horn or possessing any other body than his own chubby, hairy one.

Wilibald rather felt like he was being cast into the deepest part of the ocean and expected to swim back to shore - there was so much (too much) different about this place in comparison to where he had come from. How could two lands that looked relatively the same give rise to such different communities?

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
He apologized, mending however faint the wound between pride and flesh. Fina relaxed, narrowing gaze into a softer hue that spoke of the first stepping stones in forgiveness. It didn’t take much to cause her grievance and the suture of such cuts took months of curing and countless gifts. I would know this as a fact. After a moment she took off toward the trees, off to find another heartbeat worth silencing.

“A prideful creature,” I murmured with the utmost affection and truth. My well-meant smile remains tactfully ample, “There is much to learn, but for now,” his strained face gave me worry that this world was going to be a rough adjustment, “Take time to relax and familiarize yourself with the landscape. We will have ample hours to palaver later.”

My feathers leave the protection of their resting place and stretch further apart, climbing above the point of halfmast. They retreated only to allow me space between company and sky—the breeze fills secondary feathers and the final rays of sunlight kiss upon golden points of each primary. I sigh inwardly, relishing the gentle caress. “Long days and pleasant nights to ye, Wilibald, son of Hamfast.”

It hadn’t ever crossed my mind that the dwarf stallion would be startled by flight—and as thus there was no hesitation when wings thump steadily once and thrice over. I climb into the sky in an almost upright arch, stretching with forehooves savagely biting for air. The weight of this body is compact enough to allow a nearly motionless hovering take off—a feat only possible by years of training and practice.
Image Credits

Hidden Account
Sarah

As Midas started to spread those wings, Wilibald took a couple steps backward - uncertain of what was coming. The words, polite and perfect, distracted him well enough for a moment. “And to you, Midas, son of Tharon.” There was a brief moment where the thought of being alone in this strange place was too frightening to handle but Wilibald quickly got a hold of himself. He had been commanding Midas’ attention for a good part of the day, and he doubtless had other things to look after. And as he said, they would have time to talk later.

The company would be missed, certainly, but perhaps it would be good to wander about on his own. Without someone else with him, he wouldn’t feel so bad about hurrying into a hiding spot if he crossed paths with anyone.

First thing he needed to do was scout out a good spot to take a nap and, hopefully, a close spot where a good meal could be had. All this talking and walking and learning certainly helped work up quite the appetite.

Now, back to the matter of how Midas chose to exit. Maybe Wilibald should have seen this coming, maybe he should have thought that, like birds, Midas was capable of flight. But those wings hadn’t seemed big enough to actually support all the weight and he had just hoped they were there for decoration.

So the pony, wondering just what he had gotten himself into, fell back onto his haunches and sat there - watching Midas gain altitude before he simply flopped over in a faint that would only last a couple of minutes. Afterwards he’d wake up, pretend it did not happen and go on his merry way - changing his mind and seeking out some fresh food before finding somewhere to nap.

fin