the Rift

elegy

Andreas Posts: 11
Dragon's Throat Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 8
Klare

I never thought I would have the guts to leave, but ever since Apollo had left, but confidence grew. Between power-hungry stallions and just having enough, I finally broke the ties. Before they were able to stop me, I was gone, heading after Apollo. His scent still lingered in some places, although it was nearly always faint sometimes to the point of being indistinguishable. I didn't think I would ever be able to catch a stronger scent, but alas the Gods did see it fit for me to find a suitable place. I wandered into a forested area, a place that was in the midst of winter. Ice clung to the branches, weighing them down, just like I had been weighed down by my herd.

My hooves slipped through the snow, it scratched against my ankles uncomfortably but I had to find Apollo somewhere. His scent was more distinct here, and I wasn't about to let that go because I was uncomfortable. I called out into the wintry day, hoping someone was nearby. If I was lucky, they would know Apollo and could lead me to him. If not, I was doomed to stay here for a while. My soul was weary, and I could not continue on, I would have to stay here and establish myself. The thought broke my heart, but I had to do what was best for me. I needed stability back in my life. My dark body stood still for the time being, my black coat was stark against the winter, hopefully attracting some helpful horses.

"Speech goes here."

[she's open to going anywhere, and just a note ill be experimenting with writing so it may change out of first person. :3]

Original Image

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
Winter clung to the air with such tenacity that the old redwoods creaked and groaned impatiently against the cool breath of wind; flecked with biting frost and without any trace of Birdsong’s sweet taste, as it swept in relentless bursts from the white capped peaks to the north. Many had not weathered the violence of cruel blizzards this year and while still they swayed on to the rhythm of the harsh season, no energy streamed through their dormant, straggly limbs- no buds lay waiting to throw forth the myriad colour storm that would mark the end of Frostfall.

The forest lay eerily quiet; neither the merry song of birdlife nor the frenzy of their fluttering wings broke through the empty atmosphere. Not even the wind alive howled its morose drone through the naked skeletons of those trees stripped bare by its harrowing drag. Africa stepped carefully between the gnarled roots of a rogue oak which had bedded between greedy clumps of pines; all once vying vigorously for nourishment and stability against those neighbouring- this tree had been successful, growing nearly as tall as those spindly peaks spearing the bright clear blue sky above. Each hoof fell against old snow; fetlocks tingled as the icy wet collected against the warmth of her skin. She was not fond of cold- not, because the Basin seemed to thrive in an endlessly winter environment and she despised those dwelling there; not, because the sun’s warmth was weakened throughout, the hours of daylight cut critically short; and because in a general sense, there was little comfort gained by ambitious travellers beneath the weight of gale like winds, and the thick drifts of snow driven before them. Winter was a bitter contrast to everything the desert, the God of the Sun and her loyalties represented.

There was a distinct rustle above; upset feathers and the bat of wings and Africa’s pastel gaze lifted to greet the arrival of her bonded who had been searching the baron Threshold for any growth which might offer them both the chance of a meal. The shrubs and spined thickets which lay scattered through the region had shrivelled beneath the wrath of Frostfall, and any opportunity which might have been available to them previously, seemed to have vanished. The bird fluffed his feathers, frustrated with the fruitlessness of his venture, but the mare minded little- they had been wandering the forest for a couple of days now, and tonight they would turn south and make their way back to the Throat.

Back to a task that sent shivers of despair through a feeble mind; no more confident about leading a herd into glory, than launching from crumbling cliffs with only the one wing.

An icicle, frighteningly similar to the horn of a Unicorn, became too much for its host branch to bear. The spike plunged from the grim, leafless canopy above and shattered across the snaking roots of a leaning pine nearby. Africa jumped with surprise, turning with flared nostrils to find that which had shattered the heavy, blanketing silence so piercingly. Long stormy-grey ears reached towards the shards remaining; broken, pieces spilt like the remnants of an explosion, and she sighed guardedly to the low tune of her bonded’s rumbling voice.

Then another noise, a call- a horse, singing through the bleakness of the day, and the one-winged mare lifted her chin high to scent the wind. Indeed the stranger’s taste was carried forward and Africa learned that the other was female, and alone. Only after a second test did she return the cry, her own voice a reflection of the humble grace stringing her soul together. Curiously she waited; skin prickling as the weak sunlight shed mild warmth between the riblike shadows of the trees, ears dancing with anticipation.

Africa

Dragon's Throat Mare
Klare

There were moments of silence followed by her call. It was so, eerily quiet. Life again, was devoid of her presence, and she could not find a single soul in sight. Andreas' heart fell into her stomach again, because there was only one of two ways this could possibly end. Either Apollo was gone forever, or everyone had suddenly fled from this area. Whichever it was, Andy was not looking forward to the action that would have to take.

Reluctantly, her hooves began to trudge away from the forest, going back the way she had come. There was no reason to stick around when no horse was within earshot. Especially when there were bigger problems she had to worry about, like eating. It had been months since she had a decent meal. It was scarce among this landscape, and she often had reverted the the rough bark on the trees. Emaciated and defeated, all hope seemed lost until a call returned her own. It was that of a female, and some other scent mingled, but it was unrecognizable.

Her mind churned with excitement, and she leaped backwards, flinging snow behind her. Hooves sloshed through the wintry landscape, eating up the distance between them. It was no more than a few moments, and the already exhausted Andy could make out a pegasus mare. Quite odd, because it seemed she had one wing. Her mind wandered, thinking of why one would be a pegasus with only one wing, but that thought would have to wait until later.

The unicorn came to a halt near the grey pegasus, offering a bow. Her horned head lowering in submission. Normally, she wasn't so outspoken, but the rusty fighter was in desperate need of food and shelter. She needed rigid society back in her life, no matter what the cost. "Miss, you have no idea how glad I am to see you." She said pulling out of a bow, feeling mortified she was in such a defenseless position. "My name is Andreas, I am searching for my brother Apollo. Some food would be lovely too, but i'm more worried about my brother." She spilled, remembering the other scent and looking around, trying to pinpoint it. "Is someone watching us?" Andy inquired, looking back to the mare. Andy wasn't the one that appreciated being spied on.

"Speech goes here."

Original Image

Deceased

100%

The world now was an unsettling place to roam. Landscapes was scarred and unfamiliar; Frostfall had been none to kind this time round, and lingering still wherever shadows lay, creatures turned by the darkness still stalked voraciously. Confidence was yet to return to the mare whose levels were on the meeker side to begin with. She had been the target of ill-meaning beings on many occasions recently, frightful tempers and those hearts just cold and callous to the core had eroded all desire to delve into conversation and bath in the company of life. She had skirted the areas knowing to be common meeting grounds since rising from the caves, and revelled in the solace granted by the dwindling numbers of her herd while it had lasted. Now though, she felt the pull of responsibility; the sting of guilt, and wished to build for the God of the Sun an army well worth harbouring. There too were ranks to fill, and workloads to share- Africa know that she and Ampere would not be able to perform without sound foundations to lean upon.

A profound sigh fluttered through stormy-grey nostrils, and she shook literally the weight of thought from her mind.

There came behind the exchange of ringing calls, the steady drum of advancing hooves and Africa turned swiftly towards the direction they seemed to fall from. Canvas of murky dapples flinched with nervous curiosity while the stranger lurked still further behind the gathered trees than her scanning eyes could find. Still, Silas who had by then nestled down upon the curved peak of her rump was yet to stiffen with concern, so she for the most part remained reasonably at ease. Always, the young one-winged mare’s ears were fixed attentively forwards, well chiselled skull perched high upon the vertical stretch of her throat, and she rocked the bulk of her body between long, sinewy legs while she waited.

Little time passed before the unfamiliar unicorn drew to a halt nearby and bowed. Africa smiled awkwardly, still not overly comfortable with the golden tiara resting across her brow, and stepped closer with one slim white leg to gesture chivalrously with a dip of her own pallid face. Certainly she was not royalty, and her soft creamy gaze reflected that natural modesty as it was left to wander between the eyes of the other. Andreas introduced herself, and the dappled mare nodded with relief, the lines of built tension wrought through her apprehensive figure fading away altogether- certainly this creature was leagues above those most recently met temperament wise. A thoughtful smile still broader than the last lifted her features.

"Well met Andreas, I can offer you food, water and a bed," she said warmly, softly in return; meaning quite earnestly what she had said... "I’m Africa, though I fear I don’t know your brother Apollo." She could not have known that the stallion spoken of had crossed her path once while the population of Helovia had sheltered beneath the earth; that it was he who had offered so kindly to heal the wings torn from a dear friend’s shoulders. Nor was she aware that it had been this brother who Midas had sought favour from the herd for, after the invasion’s impact had settled somewhat, and new leaders risen through each neighbouring land. His name had never been given through these times, and so Africa remained quite oblivious to the valuable knowledge she held about him.

The painted mare was peering around them, and the one-winged mare shook her head- almost certain that they were completely alone. "I will send Silas to scout the forest around us if it might settle your suspicion?" Upon her back the zephyr opened his wings, cued by the request of his beloved’s thoughts, and caught artfully the updraft as its icy breath washed by them. Perhaps Andreas had been in actual fact referring to the avian himself, but Africa was none the wiser. Her affectionate gaze followed him through the twisted, naked canopy until he was clear of her sight, and then turned back with a gentle chuckle. "Why are you worried about Apollo?" Africa asked finally, with an inquisitive skew to her skull.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Dragon's Throat Mare
Klare

An audible sigh escaped her mouth as the mare spoke of shelter, of food. A smile stretched across her maw for a momentary second as the mare introduced herself. The pegasus' name was Africa, quite a beautiful name. Much better than Andreas, the name held such a harsh tone with it. But alas, she cherished such a name. It was her only reminder that her and Apollo were in fact bound as siblings. Andreas' heart shattered at the sound of another dead end. She couldn't continue anymore, not like this. She was hungry, tired, and needed a home for a while. Her mind was drowning in worries. What if she never found Apollo? What if they could never be reunited?

Her thoughts were shattered at the sudden flight of a bird, dark and purple, from the back of Africa. Andreas tossed her head in fear and took a few, tentative steps backwards. Apparently that had been what she was worried about. A snort of embarrassment escaped her maw, as she moved back towards Africa again, as she inquired about why she was so worried about Apollo.

Andreas took a breath, ready to repeat a story she had repeated one to many times to others. "Apollo is my brother, of course. I'm a tad older than him, and he skipped town when our herd became unstable. I tried to stay behind, but when everything collapsed, I had to leave. I've felt awful, I failed my duty as a warrior, and I needed to let Apollo know that everything has collapsed." She frowned, turning her head in shame as she regained her thoughts again. Apollo was gone, and she needed to settle down. "Africa, I would love to take you up on your offer. I need a place to settle down for a while. Preferably with food." She offered a sheepish smile. She was never the one for words.

"Speech goes here."
@[Africa] Sorry for the wait! <3

Original Image

Deceased

100%

Perhaps the unusual companionship of the star-spangled zephyr had been the cause for concern- all of a sudden Africa was made aware, the ruffle of flight through her bonded’s brilliantly shimmering plumage (no matter how dulled by the brightness of daylight) sending her company reeling awkwardly backwards with surprise. Still her eyes roamed gently, considerately across the patterned mare’s face, seeking each warm amber eye independently around the spiral of obnoxious bone where it grew between. The finer of the Unicorn species were few and far between, but the one winged creature found some solace as she stood by the friendly, rather encouraging other.

Andreas snorted her discomfort, though Africa knew not whether it was embarrassment or suspicion until unusually tinted hooves had drawn her back. Untroubled by the reaction, and all the while sorry she had not more carefully spread her own introduction, the grey offered something of a reassuring smile to sooth any residue awkwardness.

Soon enough the story foundering the mare’s journey into the Helovian wilderness was bared, and above lips stiffened with growing concern, pastel eyes nodded. The fringe of thick, oily forelock swept playfully forward to gather as a veil across them, golden-red flames licking hungrily all the while, but Africa’s elegantly chiselled skull bounced gently to again lodge the hair right; mostly behind the forward reach of her cooperative, long coal-hued ear. "You are welcome to bed in Dragon’s Throat as long as you need friend," she gestured warmly, reaching quickly with tender words to draw back the eyes of the other as they wandered away perhaps sorrowfully, to hide beneath their own curtain of obscurity; of long, luxurious sable locks.

"Perhaps my family know better of Apollo than I, Andreas. Try not to lose heart." She smiled when the Unicorn did, a soft expression that melted easily and comfortably into the paleness of the fur there. "Come, the journey is long on foot I’m afraid, but all the easier when in good company." As the playfulness of her past peeked through the mask of maturity gracing her bones, Africa turned slowly but eagerly towards the south- always driven by the fondness of her homeland; always compelled by the safety which hugged any who chose to linger within those familiar borders.

Ooc: I will get a post up in the Throat for you <3 sorry about the wait.

Africa