the Rift

[OPEN] master, master

Vadim Posts: 106
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Vlasi :: Common Rougarou :: Water ali

Water laps at the stallion's cloven toes as he stares contentedly out across the endless expanse of blue water and white waves. Somewhere overhead the strange thing that has connected to his soul is flying and it is chittering and squawking endlessly. The stallion's ears twitch and rotate, ever following the sounds the creature is making and when it is silent he looks for it because it is rare that it is quiet. Vlasi, as he has come to call it because he figures it needs a name, has landed on the beach several feet away, its webbed feet splayed to support a weight that it is unaccustomed to. The young stallion tilts his head as the bird extends its neck and opens its cavernous mouth and squawks loudly. He can feel in his own stomach that the creature is hungry and he frowns. "Eat." he tells it and it squawks at him again, flaps its wings and is airborne again.

He turns his head and watches again as the bird creature flies around and performs a series of aerial acrobatics that almost seem impossible for a bird that isn't exactly aerodynamic. Vlasi swoops low over the water, mouth open, and scoops some of the briny water into its mouth, circles back and dumps the water on Vadim as it passes. The stallion's ears tilt back against his head and he snorts and tosses his wet mane from one side of his muscled neck to the other. Overhead the bird sounds like it is cackling at its antics and the sounds change drastically as its shape changes quiet suddenly from the body of a pelican to that of a seagull.

"I thought you were hungry?" He questions the bird and only receives a squawk in answer. Whatever the birds answer to Vadim's criticism was, the bird punctuates it by diving headlong into the water. The young stallion stares and waits for the bird to resurface and when it does it has a fish in its mouth that it gobbles down hungrily. He can feel Vlasi's smugness as she takes to the air again and it makes him sigh and shake his head.

ooc://
open for anyone, excuse the unoriginal title.

vlasi started off the thread as a brown pelican and shapeshifted partway through into a common seagull. according to the handbook the rougarou's shapes change until two seasons of age when the permanent forms take root.

"."
Vadim
Master, Master, you promised only lies.
- table - manip -

Icon by Tay

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

For the first time since coming to this new world I am truly and deeply content. Finding an ocean and a nice beach to go with it will do that to me no matter where I am. I do not dwell on the embarrassing amount of time I have spent needing to be rescued since my arrival. Luckily, each time there was someone standing by who proved willing to do it. Now I owe my life twice to not one, but two unicorns. I will have to find a way to repay them both eventually but I do not feel like dwelling on those thoughts either.

No, I will revel in the warmth of the sun and the taste of the sea in the air. I will let myself be deafened by the crash of the surf while I gaze longingly at the salt grass meadow boarding the stretch of clean white sand. My hooves sink beneath the top layer of gritty particles as I trot along and I enjoy that sensation as well. This will be the home I have longed for even if it means staying here alone. I will travel to the other parts of Helovia, my curiosity and thirst for knowledge will demand it of me if I am to be stuck here, but I will always return to the Endless Blue. A sense of being satisfied and complete settles over me as I make that decision hold firm in my mind.

Yes, I am home…

I will make new memories in this place so that I may set aside the ones that have chased me across the very universe. Turning my face into the wind lifting off the water I close my eyes as it caresses my face toying with the baubles young Asch found so fascinating. Reminded of my little friend I determine that I shall find that cave-born child and bring her to see my ocean. Filled with purpose again I begin to turn away towards the inland reaches when an avian screech draws my attention to the sky. I watch as a sea bird circles then dives skimming the surface before flying back over the shore to dump a beak full of water over the head of a unicorn. I chuckle quietly at the sight and continue to watch this bird. My eyes widen as an odd ripple passes through the feathered body and it is suddenly no longer a brown pelican but instead a white gull.

The sight does not shock or unnerve me… it is something I find quite familiar, a thing of the lands I lived in most recently. I never thought to find it here though, maybe this world will not be as entirely alien to me as I feared.

“Axian!”

I breath the word as the sight draws me further along the beach. Absently I note a male scent on the breeze as I come within range, and he must be young yet to have a shape shifting axian. He is pale with blue tinting here and there in wide, bold marks. I am reminded of one I met back in the caverns… could this be Farenjer? I do not think I recognize the scent but the damp mildewy stench of those caves did dull my sense a bit when I lived in them. My memories insist that the man I met was dark of coat and this one is certainly light, even dampened by the sea water as he is. But that meeting was in the confusing room of crystal, my eyes might not have been seeing what I thought they were.

Suddenly I want to see a familiar face even if it is not the face of a friend and I call out the name in tentative hope…

“Farenjer?”

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE

"Farenjer?"

The young stallion turns his head when he hears a voice and he finds himself staring at a mare much older than himself. He blinks and tilts his head in wonderment as his eyes wander from her face to the seashells and weeds tied into her hair. How strange he thinks as he looks at her, but she must be thinking the same thing of him because all he has done is stare. Vadim's posture straightens and he shakes his head that, no he was not the Farenjer that she was looking for. He didn't even know the name so he couldn't even point her in the right direction to find her friend.

His tongue licks at his lips and his nose wrinkles at the salty taste the combination of the air, spray of the ocean waves, and Vlasi's antics have left on his skin. It is the most unsavory taste and he finds himself wanted a mouthful of fresh water to rid himself of the taste. His ears tilt back in mild annoyance as, overhead, Vlasi chitters her amusement at his situation. The bird swoops down and lands on the sand nearby and squawks obnoxiously at the mare since Vadim remains silent as is his nature. Vlasi begins to walk toward the mare, continuing to squawk then suddenly she is airborne again and is circling over her bonded.

Vadim is staring at the mare once more, wondering if it would be even worth the effort of forcing his throat and mouth to form the motions and make the sounds that would equate to his name. He finds that everyone he meets he only meets once before he is alone again. Vlasi successfully takes his mind off of the matter at hand when he feels something plop onto his head, just below the base of his horn. The stallion blinks in surprise then his face begins to burn in embarrassment as he realizes that his companion pooped on his head.

Wonderful.

@[Mermaid]

"."
Vadim
- table - manip -

Icon by Tay

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.

The sound of continuous squawking had lured her to the duo, not knowing whether there was an animal in trouble or simply a chatty winged one. 

When she neared, her head tilted slightly to stare at the two from a distance. Her gaze lingered over what she believed was a mare, and as she did so, the trinkets weaved within her hair sparked recognition in her breast. Gaze turning to the pale and what looked like blue marked Stallion made her curiosity leap to a new level. Convincing her hooves to move and her pillars to work with them, she jogged easily across the short distance, coming up to them both with a warm smile and a small giggle bubbling from her maw as she approached. 

Blue and brown orbs swept over the familiar mare, disappointment struck when she realized she hadn't caught her name in their meeting awhile back, or if she did she had forgotten. Then, eyes lit with joy, she turned to the tall, handsome brute. About a hand taller than her, he was an ivory hue, whit locks with blue tips and some blue markings. Her smile widened when another her gaze set on his beautiful horn. Oh, that gorgeous horn. The lady beside him seemed quite... Well, boring compared to this handsome brute. 

Head tipped to the side once again, sun glinted off her glass horn, it's base covered perfectly by her thick forelock, not visible at all. When she spotted the small sploch off doo doo on his dome, she laughed aloud, breaking the silence that had greeted her. "My my!" 

She laughed again, her orbs squinting, features full of life and joy. Glancing slightly at the lady she turned back to the Stallion."Well, excuse me! Hello. I am Abishia,  " She smiled sweetly, looking over to the mare momentarily before directing kindred vocals toward the boy with the bird."I am afraid I have yet to meet you in by travels. What's your name, sir? " She then looked to the girl for the first time full on, internally disgusted by her lack of features, but her smile did not falter, glint in her eye did not fail to shimmer. A mask. A sorcery. A skill."And you ma'am. What may I call you?"

---------------------

@[Mermaid] @[Vadim]

sorrrryyy,  I just wanted to pop abi in here!!

Credits

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Hidden Account
Tzarra
MERMAID

He turns to face me as my voice reaches his ears and I realize at once that I do not know him. I have good cause to remember the eyes of Farenjer and those looking back at me now are vastly different. His head shake only confirms what I have already concluded for myself. Ah well, for me it always as good to make new acquaintances as it is to renew old ones and today is certainly a fine day to be doing either.

“Forgive me young sir, I mistook you for someone I know. I am Mermaid and I am very pleased to meet you, very pleased indeed.”

His eyes have not left my frame, in fact he is staring rather rudely but I am not one to take offense at such things. Instead I smile back hoping that this gesture might put him at ease and perhaps encourage him to break his silence. Suddenly the bird dives to land on the sand between us squawking at an obnoxious volume. Confused by this I tilt my head sideways as I study the small creature.

“Can you not speak?”

Not that I generally expect animals to speak to me but, having seen the shapeshift, I am convinced this is no normal animal. While the axians often chose not to they were nearly all capable of speech with those other than their partner. Perhaps he is even younger than I had first imagined and his axian very under developed. I can not tell if the actions I am witnessing are those of concern or just the typical tauntings of a cleverer than average bird. It never hurts to make an attempt at putting another at ease though.

“Well, never you fear my fine feathered beast. I certainly shall not harm your boy.”

The web footed one is airborne again seconds later and I track the progress of her flight right up until she delivers a very messy present to her companion. Oh dear, as if shyness is not straining enough on a conversation now he will be embarrassed as well. Sure enough, I spot the very slightest blush creeping along the skin of his nose.

“Birds will be birds… perhaps her final shape will prove more pleasant.”

My voice is dry and humorless, not that I fail to see the humor in the situation but I suspect he is not in the mood to appreciate it. Apparently there are those about who are not quite so sensitive…

Laughter breaks the silence and I see a flash of painted hide out of the corner of my eye. This lifts my hopes again, perhaps Nasreen has found me. Turning I spot another unicorn rather than my pegasus friend. She looks vaguely familiar though I am certain I do not know who she is. Maybe our paths crossed briefly in the underground prison with no exchange of words. Well, now that she is here I will learn who she is and perhaps the presence of one nearer his age will make the silent stallion more comfortable… however giggly this young girl might be. She introduces herself without hesitation and inquires after out names. I am willing enough to provide mine and hope that she might coax his out as well.

“Greetings Abishia, I am Mermaid. Welcome to the beach.”

I give the new arrival a nod before turning my eyes back to the male and the motherly side of me takes over with a practical solution to his difficulty.

“You might try convincing your friend to pull the other stunt again. Salt in your eyes is never fun, but at least your head would be clean again...”

@[Vadim] @[Abishia]
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
HELOVIA HARD MODE

His embarrassment is nearly immeasurable when yet another female arrives and so shortly after Vlasi has decided to decorate his head with a spot of poo. The bird is squawking in a way that imitates laughter as the stallion is left to flounder mentally. Should he say something? He wonders if he should apologize for what Vlasi has so rudely done. He wonders if the bird will do the same thing to one of the mares that has walked up and it makes him flick his tail and shift his weight nervously. Both mares speak and he looks from one to the other, still wondering if he should speak when the pale mare finally asks him if he can. His blue eyes lock on her and he nods his head that, yes, he can speak then he pauses and gives a short shake of his head.

"Yes I can. No I don't like to."

There is no way either of the mares will understand and he is aware of this but the young stallion remains quiet and chooses to watch them. He mentally notes the way the younger one looks at him. Was that adoration he saw shining in her eyes? Why, he wonders. Why would she adore him? The other mare the younger girl didn't seem so infatuated, he wonders if this is the word he wants to use, with. Even when his name is inquired again he remains quiet and chooses to stare at the bird who has taken to the sky after being assured by the one that calls herself Mermaid that Vadim is in no danger.

His attention is immediately drawn back to Mermaid as she mentions a final shape and his ears strain forward. She's seen them before, then, he wonders. His mouth opens then closes again and his ears suddenly tilt back as his gaze raises to the sky again. He has many questions about what he has gotten himself into, but none that anyone can answer because he knows of no one else that has a companion that can change shapes.

She speaks again and it makes a small smile curve the corners of the stallions mouth, but rather than try to tell Vlasi to rinse her mess off of his head he turns and trots toward the ocean. His head slips down to the water and he stamps his hooves into it to splash the water onto his head until he is satisfied that the poo is gone and he is presentable. Then he turns and walks back toward the mares and looks from one to the other. "Be-tter?" His voice cracks and he clears his throat then looks expectantly at the mares.

@[Mermaid]
@[Abishia]

"."
Vadim
- table - manip -

Icon by Tay

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.
a b i s h i a
there's always a dawn before the day

A warm smile greets his action as he walks back toward the ocean, splashes his head, and rids himself of the waste his friend decides to dump on him. With a giggle, she turns to look over the girl that claimed herself to be Mermaid, and couldn't help but let another laugh cascade from her white dipped maw.

And when he comes closer, his shining blue pools set on both of them, and his weak voice escapes his kissers he was so intent on keeping sealed, Abi nods vigorously, her orbs filled with happiness, amusement, and lit with the fire of laughter. She then looks to the skies, where above, his mischievous squawking companion has spread it's wings and taken flight, the voice emerging him as in a mocking laughter at the young boy in which he had so deviously played a dirty trick on. But all Abishia can think to do is smile, offering a giggle here and there. Mermaid spoke a few moments before the Stallion had washed himself of his companion, something about forms and all that jazz. I don't really care for it though. Doesn't matter to me. I won't be getting one anyways.

Her thought path then switches drastically to a time long past, when her and Rhiannon had enjoyed a pleasant conversation in the comfort of darkness, doodling in the sand, speaking of their races. Back when I had no cares to give. Back when I was innocent. With a quick nod, she turns on her heel and trots off, away from the shore to a series of rocks, dropping her maw to the ground, nares flaring, and after a bit of rummaging, she finds a suitable stick. Grasping it firmly in her pearls, she lopes back towards them, coming to a halt, then dropping the stick. Stretching her neck downward, she using her soft muzzle to smooth the sand. After this, she glances upward toward the bird, studying him before picking up the twig and beginning to draw shaky lines that come together after a few moments to be none other than a shaky replica of the brute's companion. She then drops the stick, regaining her regal posture, and gesturing with her maw to his bird. "The name of your companion?"

@[Vadim], @[Mermaid]

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Hidden Account
Tzarra
MERMAID

Apparently my assurances of “no harm intended” are good enough for at least one of the current company. The bird takes to the air again as soon as my comforting words have finished. The squawking does not cease though and I shake my head in amused bewilderment. I can not imagine what the creature might be trying to say but her tone is certainly both mocking and playful. I have never understood birds… even the axians that could speak to me. I remain convinced that this is an axian and I wish I had discovered sooner that they existed in this new world as well as in my old one. Then again maybe it is better that I did not know before, now that I do it will only make me miss Alejandro more.

The young stallion is peering intently at me through his thick forelock. It seems he has taken my question to be for him answer though he does not answer it to my satisfaction. His elegant bobs as if to say yes but yes to what? Yes the bird can talk, yes he talk? Then a vigorous shake follows… no? Yes, no? This does not make sense, I blink in confusion but decide that it does not matter. If they can speak and wish to speak they will do so when they feel like, or not… I am not about to try and influence them one way of the other. The warm, welcoming expression returns to my features with all signs of confusion now wiped away. I note that the intent look either never left his face or has surfaced again, perhaps my words concerning the final forms of shape changing axian have peaked his curiosity?

“That has been my observation anyway, that the axian find a final form eventually when they and their bondmates are fully matured. It seems to rarely be one that they spent many of their young days in. Of course, I have not experienced this myself, I was too old when Alejandro joined me so he never had the pleasure of shape-changing.”

And of course, however much this creature resembles the axian I knew… even if it turns out that they truly are more or less the same thing, as I believe them to be, the way they work here could still be something entirely different. For now I will cling to my unlikely belief, it does me some good to think that not everything here is alien and unknown.

With a quirk of his lips that might be taken as a smile the boy turns and jogs toward the waters edge, without really think about it I move to follow him. Once there he stomps a front hoof with enthusiasm creating a spray of salt water that effectively cleans his head. The painted girl with the shimmering horn seems to find this even more amusing than his earlier misfortune. I do not join in the girly giggles but I do glance over my shoulder at her and offer another smile.

Turning again, I trail rather absently after the boy as he returns to our gathering spot. I come up beside him just in time to catch the gruf inquiry.

“Yes, much.”

This time it is the girl who leaves us, I do not follow her but instead simply watch as she gathers a stick and returns to smooth the sand between us. Odd...

Next she clamps the stick in her jaws and drags it artfully across the smoothed sand sketching a rough image that he words suggest is meant to be the blue boy’s airborne friend. It is not a bad representation I suppose, but the point is lost on me. Is this a game? If so it is not one I have ever encountered. The things these young people will come up with! Fascinating...

“I am unfamiliar with this game Abishia. Will you teach me… us?”

I cast a sideways look at the boy unsure if he wishes to be included in this endeavor.

@[Vadim] & @[Abishia]
HELOVIA HARD MODE

He takes in everything that Mermaid has to say about axians, though he is not completely sure what he has bonded to is what she thinks it is. There are many things about the creature that he questions and thinks he will never find the answers to. "Not always bird." His voice is strangled and rough as he speaks, informing the other mare that the creature is not limited to being just a bird. Sometimes Vlasi is that weird animal that Nayati called a platypus. Sometimes it turns itself into a fish whenever they are near a stream.

His attention is drawn to the painted girl as she trots away then returns with a stick. His brow is furrowed as she begins to draw a very rough sketch of Vlasi in the sand. Vadim begins to frown when she then asks him what his companion's name is. "She thinks I'm stupid." He tells his companion, who feels his unhappiness at the slight, whether it was intended or not. "I'm not stupid." The bird squawks loudly, irritated by the sudden unhappiness of her bonded and in retaliation she swoops down at the mare, aiming a peck at her head and the same little gift that she'd blessed her bonded with moments before.

"Vlasi!" He croaks her name in surprise at her antics. The bird circles around and lands on Vadim's back, but her body is shifting and changing, the bird form forgotten as her body becomes long and sinewy. She slithers up the length of his back and neck until she reaches his head and she curls her body around his horn. The end of her tail shakes back and forth, rattling a warning to the young mare that she had better not insult her bonded again. Vadim steps back so the mares remain out of Vlasi's reach, his ears falling sideways in bewilderment. "S-sorry." He stammers as he fights the urge to turn and high-tail it away from the beach.

ooc://
sorry about vlasi's behavior D:
she turned into a rattlesnake after trying to peck and poop on abishia >.>

"."
Vadim
- table - manip -

@[Abishia] & @[Mermaid]

Icon by Tay