the Rift

[PRIVATE] Burning train [Hidden Falls Warriors]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Break apart the letters and read between the lines</style>

“My Warrior’s! Tiro’s attend!”

Rich vocals trumpeted with authority and excitement, yet they offered little to no quarter for argument. Today was a day of celebration, of a new land, a new life, and the coming of Birdsong. When a suitable number of my new family had gathered I explained the reason for calling them together.

‘You stand on the edge of Deep Forest, facing southwest at high noon. Helovia’s heart lies before you, the hellish volcanic surface is covered in ash and unforgiving razor like rocks. This land appears barren of all life and treacherous to those that don’t take care in where they step.

Below the surface of softened rock are pockets of heated air, waiting for just the right amount of pressure to release them. Active volcanoes spew lava in various pits and mounds. The earth itself threatens to consume the flesh of all that pass through. Gloomy clouds cover the light of day, darkening your shadows and casting an eerie glow across the landscape.

Scattered throughout the valley are golden arches, they are anchored to the ground and fashioned wide enough to accompany a large steed. Racers must pass through these half halos as they make their way across the pit of hell. Your goal is the Rotund, where a large arch decorated with fragile golden roses and vines will greet your arrival. The first three to arrive will move on to the next round.’

Rules:

No flying! This is a ground run race, Midas and Fina will be watching from the sky. Failure to comply will severely wound your chances in winning this race.

No powerplay!

This race will be mostly run by admin controlled dice rolls. But don’t let that discourage you, creativity and smart racing will be credited to you! VP you’ve earned will be positive in winning this race as well!

You have 48 hours to post between rolling rounds. Those who are late will be penalized.

This race will last for 3 rolling rounds! There will be 3 rolling rounds and 2 races total. You will be posting after each roll for a total of 3 times per race.

Only the first three to arrive at Rotunda will make it to race 2.

This is a race for ranks! The winner will become the new Legatus.

The winner of this race will also receive a surprise bonus gift!

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren

My King calls to me and I am ready to answer. I barely know him, really, I don't know him at all. Only from my brief presence at the first herd meeting have I really even figured out what he looks like. A painted stallion, feathered wings tipped with gold, his eyes shimmering gold like the sun. And with him comes the phoenix, Fina, his companion. They are a beautiful pair, and I admit that I may be interested to get to know them better. Alas, the situation now in which I have been beckoned does not allow for such camaraderie. Another time perhaps.

I gather here before him, and I notice I am the first to arrive. I and my king, and I bow my head, my eyes as white as his are gold. White gold. Hmm.. interesting. At the edge of the Deep Forest, and back toward the caves we are directed. A race..a race to test our strength, our stamina, endurance. I am a draft horse, that is true. But I am of a faster breed of draft horse than most, so I'm not totally down for the count. That being said, my drunkenness is not the best.. advantage for something like this. Oh well.. I will just have to resist my alcohol addiction until the end of the race. I can manage that, right?

Damaris sits next to me. She cannot keep up in this race. As a full grown hellhound, perhaps. But she is only a month old, and I am not stupid or uncaring enough to ask her to try to keep up with me. Nor will I be able to run with her on my back. I bend my head to her and murmur in her ear. "Stay with Midas. I am sure you will be safe. And I will come get you when this is over." I look up to the King and I voice my thoughts. "King, may Damaris stay with you during this race? She's too little to keep up with me and I don't want her to be left alone." I clear my voice, trying to hide the emotion that fills it. I don't want anything bad to happen to my little pup.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Agrona Posts: 115
Hidden Falls Tiro atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Seven HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Agrona | Carnage

Talk had been getting around that we still have no official general, no one to go to for a task besides Clown Face and The Little Stallion Who Could. Word had also gotten around that our leaders were going to take care of this now. I watch a plump bay an his little dog waddle away from the grassy knolls and decide to follow after; I had seen him at the herd meeting, and even though it was a breif encounter, I still remembered that god awful white stare.

Walking walking walking, and the fatty disappears for a moment, so I press on alone, half expecting to find myself lost. I am unfamiliar with this place, and the heat is making me already want to sweat. "My warriors! Tiro's attend!" I pause in my tracks, an uncomfortable roll of my ankle making my ears slam back against dove white hair. I had been dubbed a warrior, a Tiro, but what it was that the word meant I couldn't fucking tell you. But, that call is just as natural to respond to as if someone had called my name, so I will see what it is that's going on.

I pick my way across the dry earth with a content look my in wild violet eyes, both ears cupped forward to listen for another call.. But nothing else comes. Just as I consider stopping and finding where the short one had went, I now spot him -The Little Stallion Who Could- and press into an excited dancey trot. There's the one with horns somewhat similar to mine, speaking to his dog. I outwardly giggle at his unfortunate size; a bloated belly like that and short legs to carry all of him, no wonder I had thought he was waddling. My laughter is cut off by a large inhale, my lungs pleading for more oxygen than this atmosphere provided.

A stop two body lengths away from the antlered stallion, proud crown lifting into the air as I listen for Midas' explaination of out gathering.

Walking "Talking" Thinking

Credits: code by Tamme | Image by Sarah | Stock Credits in the Link

Let me tell you something baby
You love me for everything you hate me for
[Image: 542f83afbdf08]
  • Please tag me in every post!

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Ever since the herd had regrouped above ground there had been much chatter about who would become the next general of their warrior ranks. At first the idea had not really sounded all too appealing but the more time that passed gave him time to think about it. Maybe it would be a good idea to actually do something to support the herd other than just coming when the time called for it. Ranking had never been all that important with his list of priorities but maybe it was time to attempt to take this whole ranking system into consideration. Coming to a standstill among the rest of the Hidden Falls warriors his interest was peaked as the challenge presented itself.

A race, hmmm a rather interesting way to challenge for ranking but it would help to separate out the weak from those with higher capabilities. Was this something he was up for? He was fit and all and enjoyed the thrill of his heart pounding and his body gliding seamlessly across the earth like many of the others, but with this challenge there was the risk of being blown up should a misstep occur. To tell you the truth he kind of liked the thrill of the potential danger. A curious sound was heard from the makeshift basket atop his withers where Kiara sat perched as if she was listening as well. After their last encounter with Midas he figured she was more likely watching for the phoenix that tended to be around him. Cats and their birds, no matter the size of them they still want to play.

Raising his cranium to observe the others while listening to all the details he cast his eyes around looking for Parelia. She was a warrior as well but in a way he hoped that she would not participate in this challenge. It was dangerous, and he would rather keep her and her companion out of harms way if he could help it. Kiara was also a concern high on his list as well as she was still so little, bringing her along could put her in danger as well. He did not want to leave her behind but it would be for her own safety, not that she would see it that way of course. Even at her young age she was already quite stubborn if she did not want to do something, but who could he leave her with that he could trust? Well there was Parelia of course but he did not want to burden her with the task plus he did not know if she was going to join in this challenge. He could not stop her of course but he wouldn't like the idea at all.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

••WORDS: 460 •• TAGS: Tiro warriors•• NOTES: -- ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Oxy the Addict Posts: 322
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2hh :: 9 [Tallsun] HP: 73.5 | Buff: DANCE
Unnamed :: Common Boggart :: Mayhem Sevin

You don't want anybody to get you wrong. You're not following the Golden Asshole's directions because you care to be in his good graces. You'd just as well that he hates you. At least all false pretenses would be out of the way. You don't like him, he doesn't like you, the end. You're still a little bent out of shape from your challenge against Eris, but sore muscles can work just as hard as fresh ones. Besides, you're strong and a little pain never hurt anybody. But anyways, the reason you came. It's actually because that dumb drunkard decided that he was going to respond to the Auriferous King and you just can't stand the thought of some poser of a stallion taking the position that's rightfully yours. Otherwise you'd just wait until there is a winner and smash them. But you don't want the Drunk to think, even for one moment, that he is worthy of a title such a General.

As you meander up, you try to stay in the back, unnoticed as much as possible, although your hulking size makes it somewhat difficult for you to remain inconspicuous. Still, as much disdain as you give the idea of having to run to prove that you're a worthy warrior, your training has already taken over your mind. You scan the field that you are to run, noticing imperfections in the land, noticing where it rises and where it falls, noticing the path you'll have to take and trying to consider how much energy you'll have to conserve to keep your body going the whole time. You also test the limb that was injured in your battle with Red, pressing weight onto it a few times to make sure that it will hold you reliably. Yes, no matter how much it disgusts you to answer the call of some idiot who dares to call you his king, you cannot forget your training.

Behind you, and unnoticed to you at the moment as your mind is very concentrated on the task at hand, your little wisp of a companion begins morphing into a variety of miniature shapes, mostly meant to piss of Midas, but perhaps some of the others as well. How many ways can she depict a black pegasus paint with mangled wings? The number is surprising, and yet she seems to shift between them with ease, going from bloody to broken to totally removed, and a variety of other lovely images. She even adds in a few of Rostislav for the hell of it, perhaps trying to aid you in your quest to defeat the field in this test of endurance, perhaps just being mischievous. Yes, as much as you dislike her, she fits right in.

Image credits
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Oxy unless it is in an opening post
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

They gather and we talk. Some seem excited; their competitive nature kicking in gear, others appear less so—but all are willing to compete for their claim at a title. I nod at each, giving them blessing to compete as equals, as true warriors. Rewards are substantial for those that can make it across this wildfire tundra. “May earth guide your steps,” our time had ended. “Go!” A battle cry, a bugle that carried across the landscape and was likely heard echoing from miles away; the ground trembled beneath me. Their roaring steps would become a thunder.

OCC:
· 48 hours have passed, those arrive to the race late are allowed to run—but you will be penalized which may cost you the race.
· You have another 48 hours to post. After you post we will have our first roll—I will then announce the placement of your character.
· Be creative and realistic, and have fun with it :’D

Damaris climbs up toward Midas and Fina, steadying herself and moving away from the soon-to-be flying hooves. No need to put the little pup in any danger. I smile at her and she wags her tail, her eyes shining with excitement. I can tell she wants me to win. Waves of encouragement from her come towards me and wash over me, penetrating every pore. I look toward my king, waiting for the signal to begin. He observes each of us: myself, a horned mare that I don't really know, a dappled stallion also unfamiliar to me, and finally Oxy. Oh Oxy... we're like.. frenemies. I want to be your friend but you clearly don't want to be mine. It's too bad - I'm sure we would have many fun tales to tell.

No time for what if's.. Midas has given the all clear and it's time to go. I wait not a second more and leap forward, taking off across the uneven terrain. My hooves pound the ground, my weigh sounding loudly across the rock. The forest line quickly falls behind me as I enter the barren landscape. I was not a particular fan of the caves, and I'm not sure I feel any better about them or the land around them now. Doesn't matter - I am on a mission and that is that. Behind me I hear hoofbeats as my fellow warriors follow in my wake. I have little doubt I will be passed - my legs are shorter and I am fatter than they are. But I am determined.

The first golden arch approaches, and my white eyes widen, admiring its soft glow in the dim, smoky light. I pass through, and my own hoofbeats echo in my ears. My ribcage and lungs expand, nostrils flared as I take in all the oxygen I can get to keep my blood flowing, heart beating strongly in my chest. I'm not in the best of shape for this. But determination! It has to count for something, right? I am sure-footed, and kept my drinking to a minimum beforehand. Sure it means I get a little bit of a headache, but I'm less dizzy and wobbly than normal. That's good at least. I think of Damaris as I run, and realize that as much as I want this for me, I want this for her, too. I want to make my bonded proud of me.

Bursts of heat come up from the ground, just as Midas had foretold. When it's just steam, it feels pleasantly hot on my belly, warming the hairs without burning. But not all of the bursts are just hot air. Lava comes from the ground, the magma spewing around and covering the rock. It requires agility to avoid these sudden spouts, and it doesn't take long before I get a burn on my fetlock. "Shitballs!" I curse and pin my ears. I take a moment to shake off the magma, then return to running. It's burned the hairs off and the skin is pink and shiny, but the burn is not as bad as it could have been. I have to be more careful and aware of my surroundings. I thought I was already, but apparently that wasn't the case.

More dodging, more running. I'm panting a little, and I'm sure the others are gaining, but I am still running. That's good. Another arch approaches. I smile and revel in the feeling of the wind I create sweeping my two-tone mane back over my body. I wonder if I would be faster without all the horns taking up surface area. Nothing I can do about it, though. I rather like my horns anyway. My leonine tail helps balance me out - once I remember to start using it for such a purpose - and helps me avoid more magma spills. I pass under the second arch. I can do this.. yes... yes I can do this!

Text text text.
"Words words words."
WC: 658

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Excitement bubbled up within the stallion’s brain as the impending challenge grew closer to its start. Never having been one to back down from a challenge before he closed his silver orbs for a moment or two focusing on the sound of Midas’s instructions. Deep breath in...And out again, calming his mind so that it may be as sharp as possible for the route ahead of him. Steam he could handle but should the magma touch his flesh it would surely not be a pretty sight or feeling for that matter. Injuries were not something that he could afford to deal with right now, not with the amount of responsibility currently upon his plate. Parelia would surely be expecting him to return in one piece with the same number of extremities that he had left with, he would do his best to uphold that image. A slight smirk crossed his maw as an image of himself staggering back into the Hidden Falls crossed his mind. He could just imagine the horror that would be written over his mate’s face at the sight of him battered and deformed. She would likely kill him for going ahead with the challenge in the first place if this would be the result. No he would do his damnest to retain all limbs and body parts as he rather liked being able to get around on his own power.

The countdown began within his mind as Midas started his concluding statements; opening his eyes he knew that he was ready. Turning his head to ensure that Kiara was safely tucked away in her sling snug and secure he sent a silent prayer to the heavens to keep them both safe especially Kiara. Stretching his neck forward he flexed his muscles to prepare them for the strenuous activity ahead; a strained muscle would do no good this early in the game.

The cry rang out across the land signalling the beginning of the challenge, the clock was ticking it was time to move out and prove he had what it took to call himself a warrior. Springing forward his hooves dug deep into the earth’s flesh sending a shower of dirt and grass raining down behind him, now the fun began. Effortlessly he spurred himself forward into a full gallop consuming much distance with each stride, eyes focused on the other stallion up ahead of him watching him closely. His path through the battlefield would dictate his own route, his missteps would be learning opportunities so the he would not make the same mistakes. He had two lives at stake and he was not about to jeopardize them carelessly, swiveling his ears around the hiss of steam was audible from each of the geysers. Each of his senses would be tested in this challenge he needed to focus. Drawing himself to a reasonable pace that would still cover the ground quickly but burn his energy stores less he watched each step, each movement, listened to every sound, planning his every move.

The smell of fire was everywhere making this sense very limited, ok so he would have to make due with the remaining 5 senses. A strange gurgling hiss broke through the air moments before the stallion up ahead careened sideways to avoid majority of the magma bubble that exploded from the earth. Throwing his head up a snort sounded from his vocals in both surprise and faded horror, great this was just great. Magma had passed his mind but for some reason he was not expecting it to be so damn hot and completely random. Wrinkling his nose as the scent of singed flesh floated towards him he shook his head to refocus. Determination flooded his brain, he was going to do this one way or another now move out! The first golden gate was within sight, that’s where they needed to be. Lengthening his stride again he chose a route slightly to the left of the geyser of magma until he was on the other side of it before veering back to follow the safest path as marked by the stud before him.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

••WORDS 689 •• TAGS: Midas, Rostislav •• NOTES: -- ••

[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Go! How easy it is, you think, for the Auriferous Asshole to stand upon his mound of holy righteousness and cry out for the rest of you to run. How much easier will it be for him to flap his wings and take flight, to circle above you while you run like monkeys? Every second brings you a new reason to hate him. The drugs only help to fuel the fire. Regardless, he has the blessing of the gods at this point. You have to deal with his annoyances until you are strong enough to be the annoyance.

Large hooves mean large surface area for traction and you waste no time pressing them down into the earth, lurching forward. As a draft, you do not take off at a gallop, but rather a steady canter, letting the easy, rocking motion of your gait aid in your breathing. For now, that is what you focus on. Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out... if you stop thinking of breathing for too long you'll get lost in some drug fueled haze that will only serve as an obstacle on this course.

A burst of magma on your right sends you skipping to the left a stride, trying to scowl at it as you pass, but failing due to your speed. It has thrown you off the course you had planned and a new round of various pits and crevices prevent your return to your planned path. Still, you have not come without a backup plan. With a barking cough, a nasty command that not even the coldest hearted would disobey, you send your wisp of a boggart ahead to scout. Just as you pass under the first arch she begins sending you thoughts- the briefest of whispers of images- of the ground that lay ahead.

You don't like her, but at least she has her uses.

It is not fear that drives you forward now, but determination. You will have this title if it kills you. And if you don't earn it now, if you don't take what you want by running until your heart explodes then you will take it with flailing hooves and biting teeth. You will take it with pinned ears and vicious lunges. No, it does not matter what path it will require. All that matters is you will have your title. You will be General. You lack no faith in yourself.

Image credits
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

They sped off, and I follow from the sky. Fina joined in after placing the pup companion between my feathers. We would watch over the racers to ensure that my family didn’t fall into some unspeakable pit, such an event would be unfortunate to say the least—considering the stakes for this race weren’t worth dying for. Here is what we saw from heaven:

Rostislav – Your undaunted bravery carries quick reward, and though you wobble your way through the pit of fire, you do so quickly and have gained the lead.

Oxy – Smart thinking, using a companion; her aid helps you gain a solid second place.

Ciceron – You choose a path that has already been tread upon, the weight of those few travelers has unsettled the ground and a random burst of steam hot enough to burn flesh shoots up. You fall into third place.

Agrona – Doesn’t move forward at all...

OCC: Since there are only 3 participants, there will not be a race 2. The first one to make it to the Rotunda will be the winner. Creativity and VP still have an effect on how this race turns out. You have 48 hours to post before the next roll :)

I've just passed under the second golden arch. Looking behind me, I'm pleased to see that I'm still in the lead. No one has passed me yet when I'm not lookin', to my great surprise. I see Oxy, not too far behind me, and some sort of amorphous shape that is even closer. Well.. I'm not sure what that shit is but I don't want to be anywhere near it. I think that I might see the dappled unicorn somewhere behind me, but with the steam pockets and dim, dusty lighting it's hard to tell. As for the two-horned female.. Well, I can't see her at all. I can only assume she's somewhere behind the grey one. I turn my head back around to the road (or lack thereof) in front of me, lest I stumble and fall on my face.

I haven't lost my breath just yet, but my body is complaining. It's cursing at me, berating me for trying to make it do something it hasn't done in ages. As my hooves beat the ground in a steady four-beat rhythm, I think back. When was the last time I actually ran anywhere? Thinking.... Thinking.... What about that.. Nope, no that was trotting. I don't even trot all that much. What kind of hurry do we all need to be in? The world isn't going anywhere. If it's worth having it'll stay there until you get there. Maybe that's not the most perfect philosophy, but it's worked for me thus far. Until now. Now I need to actually run for something! I'm not completely opposed to the concept, but my body is. Well it can go fuck itself.

Where I hit rock my hooves make loud cracks against the volcanic rock, and where I manage to hit patches of dirty there's a soft thud instead. My legs are getting sore, and I am focusing hard on keeping my breathing steady. Don't need to pass out from lack of oxygen. And that's actually more of a real concern, now that I think about it. The air is clogged with smoke and steam from the caves, and it's probably harder to get the pure oxygen that the body needs. Well, damn. Just gotta work that little bit harder then.

I extend my legs and find a stride longer than I realized I could do. Huh.. maybe I was born to be a racehorse! .... HA. I'm not brilliant but I'm smarter than that. My ears flap back and forth in the wind and I see another arch coming up ahead. Just as I'm about to pass through I hear a gurgle of some strange sort come from the earth. Uh oh, I know what that means, based off my previous experience. Sure enough, I see magma bubble up from the earth, about a foot and a half from the ground. I don't have enough time to traction to dodge to the side and not tumble over... I grunt loudly as I try to pick myself up and leap from the ground. If I were the jumping type, you might say I was soaring. But being the type of horse I am, it probably looks more like an awkward, endearing little hop. Surprising myself, I land on the other side unscathed, and pass through the arch, moving slightly slower as I recover myself. Hey.. I didn't know I could do that. My muscles groan at me. Maybe I should save jumping for the big thoroughbreds and warmbloods.... And perhaps this running, racing thing, too. I'm a strength guy, not a fast guy.

Love 'em in all shapes and sizes.

Text text text.
"Words words words."
WC: 607

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

As you run you begin to wonder what exactly it is you're running for. You mean, you know what you're running for, but really. What are you running for? You know without any doubt in your mind that you could destroy any one of the horses that are running around with you today. The Gray, Lace Face, the Drunk... none of them is anything special, nothing about any of them screams general to you. So why are you running? Couldn't you just wait until this nonsense is over, just challenge them and then show them you are destined to win? Perhaps, and yet here you are, chasing after a sloppy drunk and running from the Gray. Maybe it's too late for you. Maybe your training when you were young- training to follow the crowd, to become one with the herd- is too ingrained in you. Maybe you've become institutionalized and you're participating because even though you dissent, even though you plot against your king and queen, you are still a follower and not a leader. You snort with disgust at the very idea.

Stretching your canter out, not trying to gallop because you know that you wouldn't last more than a few strides, you focus on following after the Drunk. You do not try to follow in his wake- the threat of stones flying from hooves is enough to keep you off to the side. Your companion still flits ahead, trying her best to offer what help she can. She has yet to speak and you wonder if she may in fact be stupid, but for now she provides a service you cannot disapprove of.

Nevertheless, if you carry on as you are then you'll never get ahead of the short monster ahead of you. For a long time you wonder what you can do, how you can slow him down, how you can make him take a misstep or two. Then it occurs to you- magic. Since you weren't listening you're not really sure if magic use is technically in the rules or not, but since there's no physical manifestation of the magic you have gained it seems like nobody would be the wiser. Excellent.

Trying your best to focus on the Drunk, which is rather difficult while you're weaving and bobbing, avoiding magma and wincing as you step on stones, you dig deep within yourself and pull your magic to the surface. Releasing it towards the Drunk, you chuckle to yourself, wondering if it will hit its target or not. Besides, it would be rather funny to see his reaction- a shock to his brain making him feel the effects of Locoweed. You've used it on yourself before and you have to admit, the effect is rather real. The only disappointing part about it all is that you don't get the sweet, sweet juices of the locoweed plant running down your throat. Not that you suppose the Drunk will mind.

Speaking of Locoweed, you accidentally step into a hole in the ground, tweaking your right shoulder, stumbling as you exit it as a result of your slightly intoxicated mind. A few shortened strides slow you down, but in time you stretch yourself out again and continue cantering. Sweat lathers your side and your visible ribs heave with the effort of breathing. Still, you run on. Perhaps you are institutionalized. What a shame.

Image credits

Each step is a gamble; each stride is unknown as for the journey ahead you never know where it will take you. Having made it through the first arch intact the grey stallion couldn’t help but smirk, maybe this wouldn’t be all as bad as he had originally thought. Continuing forward with confidence it soon comes to light that things are not as safe as he had first thought. Following the path of assumed safety had worked for the first part but now that the path leads deeper into heart, things start to change for the worst. Where the leader had once stepped has now become unstable making the ground heave and twist beneath the earth, making things rather difficult to keep your footing. Stumbling a couple times as the ground broke down beneath his hooves the stallion slowed his pace drastically praying that he would not break his leg on one of the deeper holes.

One hoof in front of the other, that’s all that is possible at the moment but there had to be something more to help him gain some ground, but what? Racking his brain the only logical thing to do is to break from plan A and move onto plan B, whatever that one is. His thoughts were cut short as pain seared up his left hind leg unexpectedly as the loud hiss rang out around him. As the left hind hoof hit the ground it gave way just as the earth collapsed around it sending him sprawling forward fighting for balance like a newborn taking their first few steps. The hot geyser of steam continued to scream out as finally the grey managed to steady himself with all four legs splayed out sideways. Gritting his teeth to ride out the scalding pain he worked up the courage to look back at what damage the steam had done to his hind leg. While the hair was still present upon his hide but upon closer examination the skin over the outermost portion of his calf was bright red and felt like it was on fire. Damn!! That was hot!

Touching the tip of his hoof to the ground he was relieved to find at least everything was still working as it should. It was only the skin that had been damaged with the scalding steam, now the only hope was that it did not happen again. Trying to soothe the worry from Kiara he forced himself forward a few steps as if to prove that the damage was minor. Sucking in a breath he managed to push himself back into a full canter turning his eyes ahead once more to focus on where they needed to go next. The addict from before seemed to be just as tipsy as when they had sparred but had taken the opportunity of his mishap to pull ahead of him, not for long. Veering from the path he was following he decided it was wiser to take the path less travelled, at least in this situation.
The solid ground beneath his hooves felt great compared to the softened holey stuff from before, why hadn't he chosen to make his own path in the first place? Oh well, it was too late to change his original idea so he would just have to make up for it from here on out. A soft groan escaped his lips at the lull of pain caused by his scalded flesh as the muscles rubbed at it with each movement, once this was all over he would need to do something to take care of it.

Shaking his head a new bout of determination locked into place as his gaze focused on the other two studs up ahead, he was not going to give up that easily. Rounding through the second archway he knew he had to move faster if he was to catch them, time to take things up a notch. Pushing himself faster he blazed across the newly travelled ground not willing to make the same mistake twice, this was far from being over and he would prove it by winning this race one way or another.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

••WORDS: 693 •• TAGS: -- •• NOTES: -- ••

Pixel Base- BronzeHalo

Abba Posts: 13
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'2 :: 20 years
Abba
We are saying that Midas is still circling above them, all roll posts will be posted from this account from here on out.

Rostislav - Even with your fall, you manage to keep the lead. But, beware, the others are not far behind!

Ciceron - By choosing your own path you managed to get ahead of Oxy. You are now in second place - not far from first, and not far from last either.

Oxy - Even with the use of magic, it seems that the hellhole of earth that this location is and your moment of slowed stride has caused you to fall back. Perhaps it will slow down Rostislav, perhaps it will not. But, either way you have gone into last place for the moment.

You have 48 hours till the next roll.
It is currently April 26th at 6:41pm CST. 48 hours is April 28th at 6:41pm CST

What are you afraid of? 'Cause it can't be that bad
Being friends, beneficial ties

Feeling the ground rumble beneath his feet kept the stallion on the move and on his toes, he for one did not want to be leaving this race bbq style. Focusing on breathing helped to keep his mind from wandering to the numerous other things that commonly kept him awake at night, thoughts on what fatherhood was going to be like, his warrior responsibilities and countless other small topics were among the few. All this galloping was tiring and with the heat coming off the earth combined with the heat of his muscles working beneath his skin he was starting to work up a decent sheen upon his pelt. A combination of fear and determination kept him moving forward at a steady pace, he felt the need to prove himself maybe not just to his mate and their child but to the herd as well.

The others competing for the prestigious title of general had all fallen into place within his sights now, the delusional weed addict behind him while the chestnut continued to set the pace staying not all too far ahead. They too had been experiencing their own trials with this hellish landscape but so far they all seemed to be mostly intact thankfully, they may be his competition but they were still members of his theoretical family. Looking around cautiously from time to time he scanned the area searching for the third golden archway while still making sure to keep the chestnut warrior within his line of sight. Since he was in the lead he would have the advantage of spotting their target first, that being said it could be the total opposite and he could miss seeing it with all the steam and smoke wafting up around them. If he had learned anything so far in this adventure it was to trust your own senses and follow no one's lead but that of his own unless you wanted to be swallowed up by the earth that is.

A soft growl sounded from within the safety of Kiara's perch upon his shoulders, something had caught her attention and who would he be to ignore any possible help. Her eyesight was likely much better than that of his own, as his silver gaze followed the line of her directed focus the shimmering of the third archway faded into view. A small huff of thanks sounded from his throat in appreciation for his companion's attentiveness as his course altered slightly to pass directly beneath the beacon. Now it was just a matter of finding the next archway and pulling himself ahead of the others, there was no doubt in his mind that if he somehow managed to dig deep enough he could pull it off, well hopefully.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

Pixel Base- BronzeHalo

I'm running as fast as I can. Pacing was never my strong point. Now I am heaving, my sides aching with the effort of breathing and keeping myself moving. My legs strain on the ground. A grunt here, a grunt there. My sides are covered in sweat and my nostrils are flared as I try to get enough oxygen. Oh my God I'm so not made for this. Hnnnng... I am still in the lead, and as my ears flap in the wind I can hear their hoofbeats behind me. A quick, awkward glance and I spy the gray stallion just behind me, and Oxy just behind him. Arrgh.. I gotta not choke. I gotta keep going. So close. Surely I can make it, I've come this far! I turn my head back around, and notice that I'm getting lightheaded. I hope we're getting close to the end. I'm going to need a lot of water and a loooooong ass fucking nap after this - win or lose.

It's not too far away, the next arch. It's golden glow is like a ray of light, of hope, just before me. I try to stretch my legs, to make them somehow longer. I'm faster than most drafts but this is definitely trying for my system. What stamina and endurance I have, they're wearing out now. Behind the arch, I can see the green of the rotunda. We ARE getting close. I hear the gray unicorn's hooves beating on the stone and volcanic rock of the Heart and it inspires me forward. And the green.. oh that will be some lovely grass to eat. I wonder how well I can eat while lying on my side. It will taste so sweet.. so..... grassy. And once I hydrate, I'll go back to my vodka. It will be either a celebration, or drowning in my sorrow. Well.. yeah. Something like that.

I get closer, hooves clipping on the stone. Steam blows up near me and I shy to the side, slightly off course. Another blast of steam puts me back on course. My eyes are wild, my mane flapping and slapping against my sweaty neck. My tail is like a whipping cord behind me, but I don't slow down enough for it to swing back and hit me. Thank goodness for that! Beat me all you want I don't think I can move any faster. I sweep under the arch and strain for the grassy rotunda. Like Heaven's gates before me. I can do this! Right? From above on Midas's shoulders, Damaris sends me encouragement and love. It boosts my determination, knowing that she believes in me and hopes for my success. I will win, I will succeed for her, and to help lead my new family. Yes, we can do this!

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Abba Posts: 13
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'2 :: 20 years
Abba
Rostislav - Words of encouragement seem to assist you in your endeavors. Apparently a drunk mind can still choose the best paths against the fire. So close, yet so far. Don't stumble now - you never know what might happen!

Ciceron - It seems accidentally veering slightly off course has done little close the gap between you and the drunk. However, you are still creating a much larger gap between you and The Addict. Keep going, you're not too far off from the goal!

Oxy - It seemed you have started to fall behind in running. Perhaps you'll catch new speed. Perhaps you won't. Only time can tell.

You have 48 hours till completion of the race. You must still post if you want the last bit of creativity points, etc.
It is currently April 28th at 9:11pm CST. 48 hours is April 30th at 9:11pm CST

What are you afraid of? 'Cause it can't be that bad
Being friends, beneficial ties

It seems that my beloved's good wishes have assisted me and bolstered me, keeping me in the lead. The rotunda is so close - there's still a chance that someone may pass me. I look back. It seems that Oxy has fallen farther behind, but the gray one is still up not too far behind me. I grunt. Can't give up yet - I'm not quite at the rotunda. My legs are ready to give out. Just... a few... okay several strides more. The green grass of the land of the rotunda is now under my hooves, the lushness of it a boon to me. My frogs are cushioned by the sod and at least that gives a little relief to me.

Finally, the rotunda before me. It's special to me, because it was where Damaris hatched, and where Lakota and I met. There she taught me to feed my newborn pup, and care for her. What a precious memory that I hold dear to me. At the base of the rotunda I skid to a halt, my body trembling with the effort of the race I have just run. I don't even notice if anyone has passed me, or if I have come up first. All I can think about is resting and being reunited with my bonded. I drop to my knees slowly and roll over to my side, heaving. Of course, stopping so suddenly isn't good for my body - I should cool down and walk, relax my muscles. Fuck that. My side moves up and down dramatically as I try to catch my breath, wheezing for air. I tilt my head and nibble a little grass, then tilt it up to gaze in the sky, looking for Midas. Where are you, my little pup? I want you by my side again. My white eyes scan around me as I look up and examine my surroundings. Midas should be arriving soon, and whether or not Oxy and the gray one have arrived before me or after, they should be present. But lifting my head - it seems like it takes too much energy, and I drop it to the ground again. Uff-da.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

The finish was finally within sight but the task of getting there was getting harder and harder as fatigue drew at the last of his remaining stamina, oh how he wished to just stop and let his body rest but he couldn't quit now just a few more feet. A haze had began to cloud his vision distorting the images that made it to his oxygen deprived brain, he could see shapes around him but he could not tell if they were the other two competitors surging ahead of him or if he was just imagining things. Blinking multiple times brought back a little focus here and there but nothing to tell him who was where around him. The heat of the ground and the heat of his body was getting to excruciating levels causing lather to build upon his neck and chest. His lungs screamed for proper oxygen but drew only heaving breaths from his battered body, almost there, almost...

Memories had been created within the Rotunda quite recently for the dappled stag, it was a joyous occasion that would always impact him for as long as he lived. The image of his newborn son laying within the greenery brought a smile to his blackened features, this was who he was fighting for, this was his motivation. He wanted not the title to claim glory over the other competitors, no he wanted the title to do better by it. If this race didn't end in his favor he would still be able to say that he finished, he gave it his best and went down fighting. He was no quitter and he would put his heart and soul into protecting those he cared about, he would never run from a challenge. This was his moment to prove it to both himself and to the others, he would cross that finish line.

A sharp pain flared from the top of his withers as his legs faltered slightly beneath him almost throwing him off balance and to the ground. The effort to catch his heavy frame was almost too much to bear but he couldn't fall, he had to make it over the finish line. Three strides seemed to take hours but the cool grass of the Rotunda felt so good beneath his hooves, it was soothing to his exhausted mind as it threatened to fail him at any point now. Light seemed to prod with annoyance into his consciousness rousing him from the point of collapse, Kiara? The answering sound from upon his back shocked him, what was this? Could it be possible for two bonded to share strength from one another? Maybe he had just lost it completely, who knew. Not wanting to question the possibility further he threw his heart into the last few strides giving it everything he had left plus more if that was even possible. The burning glow of the final archway surrounded him as at last he dared to slow his rapid pace. Stopping in a couple shortened strides he fought with gravity to remain standing just a minute or so longer.

Tremors threatened to bring him to the ground but he held on splayed hooves with his head nearly resting upon the ground. Managing to hold himself this way for another moment or two he finally gave up as his giant frame came crashing to the ground. Oh, the grass felt so nice under his flaming flesh, it was like plunging into the first snowfall of the season. He could feel none of his limbs as they lay seemingly fused to the earth by invisible threads, he was not moving nor could anyone make him for awhile. The results of the race were a mystery to him, he was too tired to comprehend that much information at once. A minute he mused silently, a minute was all he needed.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

The journey had been an interesting one to say the least. I smiled as the thick grove of trees lengthened and grew taller with each pressing beat. Volcanic ash melted away into the exotic warmth—limbs had been pumping ferociously and the tiny pup that balanced with claws dug deep into my spine was more than ready to meet ground again. Fina had already arrived and was perched upon the last golden arch. Watching the runners come across with her beak wide in delight.

I alighted across the ground, just on the otherside of the arch. Head dipped to the winner, and the runnerup. Two warriors, both in their prime of life, I smiled at each and spoke, “Rostislav, and Ciceron; ye has run hard and well—despite the personal danger.”

Rostislav you have won the race and stand as Hidden Falls new Legatus. Ciceron, you came in second place and you have earned the title Praetor, second in command to the Legatus.

As an added bonus, Rostislav, Midas will be making you armor upon the completion of his quest to get iron magic.

And Ciceron, you will receive a detailed pixel of your character from me <3.

Oxy, though you didn't finish the race, you did make it off the block. Midas has offered to craft you a small item of your choosing.