the Rift

[PRIVATE] we all start somewhere

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
ALYSANNE
Nerves tickled at her stomach as Alysanne decided that today would be the day she would go forth with the plan that had been festering in the back of her mind since the first meeting back here in the Edge. But first, there were preparations that needed to be made. The monochromatic mare found her way to Kahlua, having discussed her plans with her friend and requesting that she look after Hemlock for the day while they were being completed. She worried for the little owlet, who was growing so quickly but still seemed fragile to her. Ampere’s words would never leave her, the idea of using a companion in a fight – of asking them to put themselves in harm’s way – was not one she was fond of, even if Hemlock wasn’t still just a hatchling. Best to make sure he was completely out of harms way.

Plus the little owlet had taken a liking to the friendly mare (who hadn't!) - one of the few of her friends that he had warmed up to now that he was able to hop around on his own. For such a cute, tiny little thing he certainly was developing a bit of a temper.

The nerves only got worse as she left the content pair, hopeful that they would have a pleasant day, and sought out the Edge’s other leader – the winged Kaj. Though, before too long, she realized that she had no idea where to find him. So she found her way to an open area, Alysanne decided to call out for the golden king and wait and see if he was even within the land at this time. It was midmorning, the sun struggling to break free from the clouds overhead – they were growing thicker as the day grew older… there might even be some rain before nightfall.

As she waited, she let the worries in her mind take over as bright green eyes wandered over the scenery. Alysanne wasn’t well acquainted with Kaj, but he had been the one that brought up defense at the meeting – it seemed like a good place to start with her education. Or, at least, that was what she was hoping. She really did not know much about him aside from the first impression she was able to get during the herd meeting. He seemed kind, the sort that might be willing to help out. That was what she was banking on, an assumption she made about a near-stranger.

There was only one way to find out whether the assumption was well made! Luckily her optimism outweighed the worries.

[@[Kaj] for whenever you have the time <3
permission from Sevin to mention Kahlua]
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
table by Sevin!
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
Kaj
The Stormbringer
Kahlua
The Sunshower

For one day, he has been given peace. It is pleasant to be busy, the King enjoys it far more than he should. He loves his people, takes enjoyment from aiding them in any way he can, including surveying the borders awaiting a new brother or sister desiring entrance into his lands. New family members were always welcomed and cherished, so long as they came with good intentions and open minds. Kahlua advocated peace without war, but Kaj did not abide by such laws. He was a soldier from birth, he had fought and he had killed, he had won peace. Peace was not spoken of, it was won. And it hurt, and it created loss and grief, but in the end, the period that would come lasted longer and was sweeter after all the effort placed into it. He was a fighter.

He is newly awakening, moist soil and growing greenery familiar and beautiful as he breathed in. Rolls as he climbs to his hooves, stretches his wings like an eagle embracing the skies above. It was a beautiful morn, one he was ready to enjoy after such a good sleep. Mane shakes, soft as down on large golden shoulders, blinking slowly, leisurely. Moving slow and purposefully, enjoying the warmth of birdsong lazily piercing the veil of the mists to play upon his canvas with purpose and a promise of better days. Warmer days. Shakes the dirt and clinging vegetation, too loose for the roots that are so feeble now in the newly awakening soil, from the surface of his vessel.

As he sets out, stretching limb and mind alike, he chuckles disbelievingly and shakes his head with a half-grin. Ah, it seemed he would not be lounging about. But he is not one to avoid responsibility. Then again, is he one to lounge in the first place? Perhaps he's simply not meant to take days off, he'd likely grow bored and return to work within minutes. It's not a song he recognizes, but it's similarly not foreign. Known, but not overly so. Head lifts and his own pours free, an echo of his soul, a song meant only for the caller's ears. It promises his swift arrival, should she be patient enough to await him. It did not sound to urgent, as it touched his harks, and he was newly softened by sleep and the awakening from it.

Shaking all about once more, he smiles to himself and tucks his wings close, long legs powerful and swift as they stride across the soft soil. She is not far, and while he moves he thinks, pondering upon whom it is that calls him on this late, beautiful morning. When no answer is forthcoming in his memory, he merely lets it pass, inhaling deep and strong. Such a familiar scent, bright and sharp in his senses. Invigorating in its state, yet soothing in its familiarity. Trees break and thin around him, flashes of a canvas strangely similar to their Queen's, sun brightening and outlining her slim form in a halo of pale gold. She is certainly a sight. And with her features before him, her King recalls her name; Alysanne, the kindly healer beneath his aardbei's command.

"Alysanne," he greets warmly, voice deep but soothing, meant only to calm her instead of displaying the power it was quite capable of. "Apologies if I'm tardy, I had slept in a little late," a chuckle shakes his chest as he draws it up and wide, habitual and subconscious in both movements. Glancing about he does not see anything nor anyone that demands his immediate attention. Especially if so deep within the herdland. Curiosity flows over his features and he quirks a brow at her, smile still soft and patient. "Have you need of me, my beautiful sister?" Compliment flows easily, unassumingly, from his tongue. It is meant only to awaken in her a better feeling, for compliments were not only appreciated but well-deserved- in Kaj's perhaps biased opinion- in the case of every single maiden within his lands. Perhaps even a few handsome stallions, he thought with a hidden giggle.

@[Alysanne] so sorry for the wait!

Image Credit

ALYSANNE
Alysanne was not left waiting long, the golden king with his comforting voice. It reminded her of her father – that deep voice, like rolling thunder. The voice and his chuckle serves to comfort her. She could not begrudge him sleeping in! “No apologies needed – it is a good day to catch up on sleep.” Overcast skies always encouraged her to sleep a little longer.

When asked about whether she had need of him, Alysanne’s smile brightened before it faltered. This wasn’t something she had asked anyone before! “I do – that is, if you have some time to spare.” She realized that maybe she should have spoken with him earlier to try to schedule in some time – but perhaps her luck would hold out, perhaps he would have a least a little bit of time (and some interest) in helping her out. “I’ve been thinking about what you said at the first meeting back here, about defending our home and those within it.” She pauses, her green eyes dancing about and unable to stay put on him – wondering how ridiculous she sounded. “I’ve never been a fighter – healing is what I know. But I love this herd and I don’t want to be useless if there is ever a time when we need all the fighters we can get.” She was nervous - shifting on her feet a little as she spoke - and felt as though she were using too many words to sum up one basic point. It wasn’t often that they black and white mare felt nervous. Confessing her love to Sasha? No problem! Realizing she was going to be a mother? Easy!

But this… this was not something she was built to do. It was not wired into her brain, it was something else entirely. But it did feel important.

This was her family and she wanted all the skills necessary to protect her family. Would she not do everything she could to protect her son? In his absence, this herd was what she had to protect. Beautiful Brisa, joyful Kahlua, wise Resplendence and all the others. If she had any strength in her, she would want to use it to do prevent injuries rather than just heal them after the fact.

It made her uneasy, learning to fight, but she felt as though it were necessary.

“I wanted to know if you could teach me some basics?” Though they had lived in the same herd for a few seasons, Alysanne wasn’t completely certain he could help her – she was just basing her assumptions off of what he had said at the meeting.

HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
table by Sevin!
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
Kaj
The Stormbringer
Kahlua
The Sunshower

Golden smile tugs at his lips as her kind-hearted nature shines through, reminding him that he is mortal just like the rest of them, and grateful that she seems to be aware of that fact. The ache of exhaustion is lessened, but it is time for his attention to be devoted to the petite fae standing before him, so similar to the mare he loved so hopelessly that it hurts his heart. "You are far too kind, Alysanne, but you have my thanks." A regal sweep of his crown accompanies the smile that ties simply to his words, though he too is soon adopting a look of a more serious nature as her features become troubled. Was something wrong? Her call had not been anxious in the slightest, so it could not be an emergency, but he worried for her anew all the same.

"I do – that is, if you have some time to spare."

Kaj shook his head gently to wave away her concern, smile returning in hopes of setting her worried mind at ease. "I always have time for helping, miss Alysanne. Your concerns are just as important as any duties I may have." Kaj would not set aside the feelings of his people for favor of rigid menial tasks. That was not leading, it was dictating, and Kaj knew the bitterness of a bowed head and lashed back. So he awaited her soft words patiently, content to stand beneath skies painted a gray like tainted silver linings with her at his side. Alysanne was great company, and he would never regret bestowing upon her the title she bore with grace. She did well for their herd, and he suspected she would mother them all regardless of her status in the ranks.

Surprise widened pale blues, though it was pleasantly so. Her nervousness was understandable, Kaj did not judge her for her anxieties over something so brutal and foreign to her. Gaze softened and he extended his muzzle towards his fellow flighted sister, a silent desire expressed for a companionable touch. "It pleases me beyond measure that you desire to learn, and I would be honored to be the one to begin your tutelage." He lets the words hang, serious and sincere, between them. She could have gone to any of the skilled warriors, the Captains, but instead she had approached him. He commended her bravery and her initiative.

"It is hard to speak of such lessons...it is a technique learned through the body, not the mind. Dearest Alysanne, would you perhaps be interested in sparring with me? We may go as slow as you desire, and I will talk you through it, I assure. Your comfort levels must be pushed, but I will not tread on ground you deign forbidden," he spoke smoothly, eyes moving to gaze sincerely into her own. He would handle her with care, would barely place his blows upon her precious hide if he could so prevent it. Kaj was to be a teacher, a mentor, not an abuser. She would draw her boundaries and he would work within them, pushing them only where she needed to be urged, and he could make her a beautiful defender yet.

@[Alysanne]

Image Credit

ALYSANNE
It was a little odd, how Alysanne might have been even more nervous about approaching the king and queen that had ruled over the Edge when she had first joined. Mirage? And was it Lace? She had never met them personally, never saw them but for a glimpse at a herd meeting. Unlikely that she would have gone to them had they had still been around. And really, she had not spoken with Kaj one-on-one before either - but her choice of a teacher just felt right as his kind smile and kinder voice reassured her more than once already. Of course, she did not know who the Captains or any of the warriors were in this herd - she might have recognized them but it was Kaj that stuck in her mind as a result of his words at the meeting with the rest of the herd.

She was so far out of her element asking for this, asking to be taught how to cause harm rather than heal it as she had always been inclined. But his companionable touch was welcomed and her worries receded as clouds do when faced with the sun - causing her heart to not beat so furiously with nerves as it had.

The painted pegasus felt as though she were mere moments away from trembling away from this idea, but thoughts of her family stayed the worst of the nerves. Far better to be prepared, to be able to lend a hand wherever she could. She did not want anyone to sacrifice their well-being on her behalf the way her old friend had in the face of the infected wraiths.

Kaj smoothly explained that this was not something easily spoken of - to tell her of techniques would not be the best way to learn. “A spar?” The idea was both exciting and frightening at the same time. Though of course, she should have realized that approach might be best – Kaj was right: this was something her body was going to have to learn. She hated it, hated the very idea of having to hurt someone. After all, silly little mare, she was not worried about he blows that their golden king might land on her but the ones she might land on him. Surely she would not cause any significant damage though she could not help but fear an accident. To harm their king!

Well, she supposed that if anything were to happen she could call upon the mists as she had seen Resplendence do. Though she rather hoped that there was a way to be taught and not have to heal any injuries afterward.

How else would she learn?

Her internal doubts and deliberations silenced, she found her voice once again. “Yes, of course, that’s a great idea.” Her smile hid some of her nerves, or so she hoped. “So um… how do we begin?”
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
table by Sevin!
made by the lovely tamme