the Rift

From the sea. [dragon drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The waves lap against the soft grains of sand on the beach, a happy tune. They grow more insistent, beginning to churn almost violently, but the slaps of water still make for a jolly splash, droplets of water cascading forth from the waves to create the sound of the ocean. Then, you hear it.

The song of a woman's voice, singing sweetly in a foreign tongue that you do not recognize. It seems pleasant, welcoming, inviting. The sea begins to alight with the sound of voices, soon a chorus of several feminine voices. A light begins to radiate from the blue waters, and then the massive fins of fish, metallic in a rainbow of colors, plop through the surface as they get closer to the shore.

The waves carry the bodies swiftly to reveal to the world a set of seven mermaids, sitting comfortably in the shallow water and singing. Their long locks all different shades of metal, matching the fins they sport instead of legs. In the center of the small circle sits a mermaid of silver, cradling in her hands an egg of the same hue - a dragon's egg.

[ This thread will close to participants in 96 hours. Those who reply before you should be present in your post as well. ]

Tisco Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Tisco
Be Brave, Be Strong

The stallion weaved his hooves through the uneven stones. His mane and tail whipped in the cold, salty gusts. He blinked a few times. He had been following a sound that had sounded beautiful. There were seven mermaids. All in a circle around another mermaid, her silver tail shined and gleamed. She cradled an oval object. It matched the same color as her tail.

He wandered towards the mermaids, stepping into the cold, shallow water, his reflection rippled as he stepped in. His reflection followed his every movement, but it rippled every time the stallion moved.

The stallion inspected each mare, his heart pounded, and the adrenaline began to flood his blood stream, spreading quickly throughout his body.

The stallion bowed his head to the mermaids. His eyes were bright and courageous when he lifted his head. "Hello. I am Tisco. I ask of you to allow me the egg, I have not seen an egg, or a dragon."The stallion bowed his head once more, feeling his heart beating several miles a minute. His ears were perked forward, his eyes set on the silvery dragon egg being cradle in the one mermaids' arms. The stallion was hypnotized by the mermaid's beauty, and the egg the one held.

When he had heard the mermaid's singing from a distance, he had been drawn towards them, and had discovered them here. The stallion went back to looking at the group of mermaids. He traced each ones body and tail, down to the last scale, to the last stretch of skin, and the last strand of hair.

Word Count: 264
OOC: EGG!!!*.*

"Action"
"Thought"
"Speaking"

Daenerys Posts: 41
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 hh :: 5
Cami

DAENERYS
All I loved, I loved alone.

The snowwhite fae stepped along the shore slowly, her pallid son running ahead and exploring. Thistle eyes were watchful in their expression, as they followed his wild tumble across the sand. He was so full of life and energy, she sometimes went all out of breathe just thinking about keeping up. So innocent and unspoiled, with all the best beliefs of the world; her heart ached for him every time he twisted a knee or fell on his nose, but she didn’t wish to shelter him the way she and her siblings had been sheltered. As royal children, they had barely ever gotten permission to go about unaccompanied, and there was no talk of exploring or playing tag. Should Ahriman fall and scrape his knee, Daenerys would comfort him, but also encourage him to cheer up and soldier on. And so he did, a strong colt for his young age; her heart was boasting for pride.

Suddenly, voices reached her delicate lobes, a song made up of words she didn’t understand. Whinnying, she called Ahriman to her side, and the colt reluctantly returned to his mother. Slowly, she could start to make out figures in the sea, and she thought for a moment that it would be better to turn the other way. But their song was so beautiful, luring her in with its gentle whisper. A slight shiver went through her, and she halted at the surf, gentle waves licking up around her pillars every now and again. Ahriman stood a little further back, not too sure about going into the waters, but his curios mulberry eyes were directed at the merfolk before them. "You sing so beautifully," Daenerys chimed, tiara lowered ad velveteen maw extended toward them slightly, but still at a polite distance. "I am Daenerys, and this is my son Ahriman," she said, glancing at the colt lovingly.

Then her eyes fell upon the egg, and a rush went through her. A dragon’s egg? In Valyria, dragons had been her family’s companions for centuries, but the usurpers killed the remaining few. "My family held dragons for companions for eons. I haven’t seen such a marvelous egg in quite a while," she spoke softly, thistle eyes studying the silver ellipsis. "Our dragons were taken from us. I should be honored to take care of the egg, if you would want me to. And if not for me, then my son is still young, he would benefit from experiencing the special bond that is formed with a dragon," she spoke, then falling quiet. She just hoped she hadn’t scared them off with all her talking; maybe they wouldn’t even understand, but Dany was willing to give it a try. It was bold for her, to ask something like this of a stranger, but the prospect of once again having a dragon by her side made her overcome her reservations. Then briefly noticed another stallion there and nodded to greet him, but her attention quickly returned to the egg.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Walking on the beach with a heavy heart, the pale and crimson mare spied small, wolf like prints in the sand. She grimaced. Why were the reminders of her foolish infatuation everywhere to be found? In a fit of sorrow, she turned her face and walked around the prints, and her gaze followed them up the beach. She wondered where Osiris was now - even though she should not.

She should forget him, but she was cursed with a memory that would not allow her such a luxury. Instead, she would be able to recall his handsome, earthen face with golden eyes to perfection. Every differing shade of thick, downy fur projected behind her eyes perfectly, and she grimaced visibly, choosing instead to try and focus on other matters.

Ophelia closed her dual colored eyes and listened to the crashing ocean, letting the melody soothe her aching soul, but another song carried over the waves. Her delicate, pale brows furrowed, and she perked her lobes forward to better catch the song. The distraction from her thoughts was welcome, and she moved gracefully across the sands in the direction of the music.

What she saw took her breath away. Seven scaled creatures with the most odd and beautiful features were seated among the rocks and the sea. They had hair like a forelock that tumbled down their sandy colored skin, and they were hairless! Her eyes took them in one by one, committed everything she saw to memory lest anyone forget this moment.

Two others had gathered, and she heard a grey speak about bonding to a dragon egg, and that was when Ophelia saw it; it was perfectly silver and perfectly beautiful. It sang to her, loudly in its very own song. She knew that this had to be the one, and she would fight for it if she had to. With a new spark of life in her soul, she approached the hairless swimmer. "It is so beautiful," she commented, her voice like a whisper.

The mare's two toned eyes began to gloss over with unshed tears. Perhaps, if she was unworthy of the affections of another, she would be worthy of this beautiful, unborn soul. "I can hear it sing, almost," she murmured, holding her breath.

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

A man delivered can never
Make his way in the darkness

Beautifully lyrical voices floated on the air and drew the heavily pregnant mare to the beach that she had not been to for several months. Others had already gathered on the beach, one of which was a stallion that she felt extreme distaste for after his episode in the Throat. As far as she was concerned he was nothing short of a coward, attacking a pregnant mare because he wanted to travel into a land that he had no business in. He didn't deserve the honor of being bonded to a dragon, let alone a royal one. The other was a pale mare her her colt. Ktulu acknowledge them with a dip of her head before she came to stand several feet away from him, her tan hooves in the gently lapping water of the ocean.

"Your voices are magical." She murmured to the mermaids. Her tail brushed gently against her hocks as she studied each of them in turn before her gaze came to rest on the silver egg. She didn't want it for herself. She wanted the dragon for her sister because for as long as she could remember Ophelia had wanted to bond to a dragon. Ktulu would do anything to make her sister happy, even if it meant giving up a royal dragon.

"Many will come here for an egg of such coloring." She said to the mermaids. "Many that will come looking and have already come looking are not deserving of a dragon." An ear tilted in Tisco's direction, but the mare didn't spare him even a passing glance. "I ask for the egg not for myself, but for my sister who has longed to have the honor of bonding to a dragon since we were fillies." Ktulu explained. "I can guarantee you that the dragon will be well taken care of and loved by her, myself, and my child."

Icon by Tay

Enheduanna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Pale hide of a muted pink and golden color enters the landscape of those all around. Slowly, gracefully, beautifully, the mare walks along the beach. Her mane and tail flow lightly in the ocean's breeze, framing golden eyes. She has not been here since her first romance was still in its infancy, and yet it is only fitting that she come here again when she has time of her own once more. Her lithe body slinks along the sand until she sees something off to her right. It is a most miraculous sight to see. Gorgeous beings singing wondrously foreign songs in voices none other could match and their beauty was more metallic than even her hide. Eyes open wide as she looks around, she sees no others yet, so she steps lightly towards them until she is close enough they can hear her, but maintains a safe enough distance so that they will not feel insulted.

A deep, sweeping bow ripples through her body and, when she comes back up, her warm voice speaks respectfully, "Greetings, Beauties from the deep. I am Enheduanna. My dam was gifted with a dragon and is lead of a herd, I am a mother myself now, and I could care for beauty well and raise it strong and true."

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
It seemed Solstice was not alone in her want to stroll alon the beach. Every now and then, especially when she began to miss home and her love the Endless Blue is where she came. As she moved along the beach she could hear singing, unable to make out the words. It wasn't long until she realized it was in a langage she did not understand. Her pace quickened as she saw the small gathering of others... Could it be? Another dragon egg had been found? Her heart dropped as she saw indeed yes... In the hands of mermaids... However it was not the mermaids that made her heart sink... Among those gathered were herdmates.... Aaron's friends... and a few strangers. How would she ever stand a chance. She arrived just in time to hear Kutlu speak, asking for the egg not for herself but for her sister who had already arrived.

With a heavy sigh and heart the dove stepped forward, her hazel eyes took in everything. Seven mermaids all in a circle with colors of different metals. It was the silver one in the very middle that had the dual colored fem's attention. In her arms she held a silver egg... Solstice heart ached in longing. A silver egg.. A silver dragon. The paint struggled to find the right words to say. "Oh how beautiful... and precious..." The golden and ivroy fem longed to earn the right to bond to the egg... but the thought of her past failures in reciving the egg... a white, a green, and a brown.... Well Solstice knew better than to get her hopes to high in reciving this egg no matter how her heart longed for the chance to bond to a dragon.

Helovian Ancient

The mermaids begin to giggle at all of the speeches as each one arrives. They are so foolish, trying to express their worth toward the ladies gathered here upon the beach. Even the horned one who does not try to boast herself up seems oddly fascinated, and it leads to a roar of amusement in the crowd of demure finned women. Their hair like long seaweed, it pulls down into the water and drifts with the current, back and forth, back and forth, as does their laughter.

One of them, a shade of purple with a metallic sheen, begins to speak instead of giggle lightly. "We cannot take your words for truths," the mermaid says, her voice light and airy. Another, tail of shining teal, speaks next. "A test will be given for your wit." Another, a vibrant pink, "perhaps several until we are satisfied."

"Leave now if you do not have what it takes," the lady in green speaks next, a warning. The mermaid painted in silver simply sits, a calm smile on her face, her eyes watching the gathering pleasantly.

One of bright blue, like the sky above, begins to speak.

"Bright
Shining
Like the line of a cloud touched by the sun

Thin
Gentle
Like a woven cloth of the finest materials

Healing
Apt
Like the hands of a doctor at work
"

"Of whom does our sister speak?" they all murmur, except for the silver one in the center. "You only get one guess each."

[ The character being spoken of is in Helovia, but does not necessarily have to be part of this group. ]
Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA </style>
All your perspectives stand   
I'm not the same creature that I was back then    
With a slight touch and an honest glance   
I'm never coming back   
</style>

When they laughed, Ophelia could not help but think that they did not find her worthy, and the young mare's ears fell to the side, shamed. She grimaced and bit back her emotions because she knew that she had been waiting such a very long time for this change at something so beautiful. Ever since her young childhood, she had longed for the companionship of a dragon, and the chance was here... in the perfect color.

Wit? A game of wit? Ophelia could play this game, and she could play it well. Her memory was a living bank of countless information, all in perfect detail, and her dear sister was here at her side. She loved her sister dearly. A bright blue, sea creature stated her riddle, and Ophelia listened carefully, taking in all of the information at once. Three came to mind immediately. Two fit well in different ways. Perhaps her sister would guess the second option.

"My guess is KOU, for she is bright, lithe, thin, gentle and works for the doctor in the Edge. Also, she has silver in her hair, like the silver lining on a cloud," she said, explaining her reasoning. Perhaps, even if she was wrong, her reasons would gain her some credit. Also, the fact that she was first to offer her guess instead of waiting to see what others thought might garner her some favor as well. Phi could only hope.

GUESS: KOU

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

A man delivered can never
Make his way in the darkness

The laughter of the mermaids did not sit well with Ktulu. Perhaps they intended to keep the egg for themselves? But what would they do with it? Mermaids could not bond with a dragon, only an equine or and equine hybrid such as herself and Ophelia could bond to them. The sudden fear that they intended to harm the egg struck Ktulu, but that was quelled when they spoke a riddle and asked for answers.

Her beautiful sister was the first to speak up to answer the riddle that the mermaids had spoken. Kou was a good guess, she felt, but there was another that she felt fit the description quite well. She stepped closer to Ophelia and touched her muzzle to her sister's shoulder before looking at the mermaids once more. "My guess is GOSSAMER, Chieftess of the Foothills." She said confidently. "She was a healer in our homeland of Isilme and has jewels in her hair that sparkle in the sunlight. Her name itself refers to silk, which is a fine material."

GUESS: GOSSAMER

Icon by Tay

Enheduanna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Ennheduanna does not balk at the laughter, but smiles with it, though it does unnerve her. Golden orbs disappear behind eyelids, and then become visible once more as she blinks. Doesn't have what it takes to gander at a riddle? She could almost scoff if the words weren't coming from the mouths of sirens...sirens could always turn from sweet to angry if provoked. She bows her head as they deliver their words.

Hmm, she is stuck between her mother and her sister. Both are as the Beauties describe. However, she thinks her mother might fit the description more because her sister seems more, violent, than healing. Though, she is not one to know for certain. The white mare utters a name which Enna does not know, and shes tempted to say that name...but how could she justify a guess from somehorse which she didn't know?

"The horse of which you speak seems as if it, perhaps, could be my mother, Gossamer the Benevolent of which you speak. For she bright and shining in the sun as well as having jewels in her mane and tail which reflect the sun in differing colors, which clouds do when they catch the light. She is also fairly thin and gentle, and her mane,tail, and even her name reflects the description of silk or a cloth woven of the finest materials. Lastly, she was a healer in her past and, even as a leader, her laws are set up to heal the horses who reside within as it is a haven."

GUESS: GOSSAMER

Deceased
Emily
Solstice to does not flinch at the laughter. She knew it would not be so easy. Her mother had to reason with a boar to gain her dragon. The dual colored fem listened carefully, her mind spinning as others answered. Two said Gossamer, another said a name she did not know. Solstice knew of Gossamer's healing past as the first healer of the Cliffs. She smiled thinking of her adopted mother. With confidence she to spoke "You speak of Gossamer, both my leader and my adopted mother. As has already been said she was a healer before coming to Helovia, she is kind and gentle, as well as beautiful." She hoped her guess was right.

GUESS: Gossamer

Outcast
Cami

DAENERYS
All I loved, I loved alone.

More suitors appeared, and Daenerys greeted them with a soft smile and a nod of her tiara. The youthful dove fully understood that their arrival wasn’t going to make things any easier, but she wished for the most suitable match for the egg. The pale filly with red strands in her tresses were younger than her, not much more than a child, and when tears welled up in the filly’s eyes, Daenerys flicked her ears. The mother in her wanted to comfort, to soothe, but on the other hand, she wanted to tell the filly to compose herself. Daenerys had been taught not to cry. Babies cry, not princesses, she had always been told, and so she bit back and hid her sadness behind one of her timid smiles.

Another appeared, similar in some ways to the pale filly, but this one was heavily pregnant. If Daenerys had been a young mother, this dark filly gave a whole new definition of young. It was hard not to feel sad for the young one, having the carelessness of youth ripped away with the heavy responsibility of motherhood. The snowy fae said nothing; it was none her business. Another arrives, pale of fur also, and then the bicolored femme that had greeted Daenerys and her brother when they had first arrived to Helovia. She doubted that the other would remember, but she hoped she would. Next, the mermaids spoke again, a riddle this time. Delicate lobes perked forward carefully, listening closely to the words spoken. A bell did not ring immediately, but as she was about to speak, the others suddenly had the same mind. Politely, Daenerys held her tongue, until it was her time to speak.

"My guess is Gossamer. She is bright and shining, with a kind personality and a name associated with cloth. She was also previously a healer," the mare spoke, roughly an echo of some of the others before her. Ahriman had stood in silence the whole time, slightly timid by the many strangers that seemed so eager to get the egg. Now he spoke, in a childish voice but with words that were ringing clearly. "I think it is Kou. She is the doctor’s right hand and she is beautiful," he spoke, grave look on his young face.

Daenerys’ guess is GOSSAMER
Ahriman’s guess is KOU

Helovian Ancient

The first one gives her guess, but the mermaids make no motion as to whether she is right or wrong. They all must guess before the answer is revealed. The stand divided by two names, but what if none had guessed correctly? Would they all be turned away? Possibly, but this is not the case. A fair number have guessed correctly, making each mermaid look to the silver lady in turn before speaking.

The one in pink chimes in, finally, looking to the stallion who had not spoken. "Silence will award you nothing. You may leave." Her voice is serious, though still like a light lap of a wave on the shore.

The emerald mermaid is next, revealing the clue and sending away those in the wrong. "The one my sister speaks of is the lady Gossamer, the former healer and kind lady. For those of you who have guessed Kou, you may take your leave as well."

The one painted yellow speaks next, her eyes gleaming in the sunlight.

"Thunder
Approaches

Hail
Laughs

Rain
Whispers
"

The blue mermaid, the last to pose the riddle, speaks next. "Of whom does my sister speak?" The purple mermaid is next, and the last to speak. "Guess quickly or do not guess at all."

[ Those disqualified: Tisco, Ophelia, and Ahriman

You have 72 hours to respond to the riddle. ]

Deceased
Emily
The fem could of leaped for joy as the mermaids said that Gossamer was right. On the inside she pranced and danced around like a little child. On the outside however she kept calm, merely nodded knowing that she had not been the only one to be right. Hazel eyes looked to those who remained. Ears pricked up listening as thy spoke yet another riddle. With a heavey sigh the fem thought.... So many choices.... Histe... Azzuen... Cirrus.... But no.... Her mind fell on one and it stuck. Oh how she hoped she was right as her heart could not take being so close to gaining a bonded dragon to fail yet again. Softly she whispered to the mermaids before her.

The one you speak of I feel is Huyana.... She was blessed with the magic to make it rain from her birth.....

Hazel eyes closed waiting for others to guess as well, her heart aching. Oh how long she had waited to bond with a dragon..... Could this be the time... or would she stumble yet again.

GUESS: HUYANA

Outcast
Cami
The pale child hung his head sadly, anxiously peering up at his dam when his guess was proven wrong. Daenerys gently caressed him and gestured for him to step out of the way, to wait at a safe spot until she could pick him up. Who knew, it might be sooner rather than later. As he slinked off, the snowy damsel returned her attention to the creatures of the sea before her. She had been right, and she was grateful, but she had a queer feeling that the games weren’t over yet.

Just as the thought crossed her mind, another riddle was posed, and this time she would not have so much time to think carefully about her answer. Rain, hail, thunder… Dany felt flustered at first, frustrated that she could not think of an answer. It could be Seiren, the fierce warrioress who could summon hail storms, or it could be Azzuen, with his electricity. In the end, she settled for a whole different choice, one that she felt at peace with.

My guess is the Lady Huyana. She can summon rain and alter its density, and though she can be soft like summer rain, she is also fierce as the roughest storms,” she chimed, falling silent once again. Whatever the answer, she had made a decent guess with a good reasoning behind it; she could walk away with her head held high, if she needed to, though it would be no secret that she would much rather stay.

GUESS: HUYANA
Ascended Helovian

Ktulu's Guess: HUYANA

Helovian Ancient

"Huyana is not the one she speaks of," the lady of teal says sadly. Her voice is disappointed, as she reveals the answer. "The God of the Earth has hoofbeats like thunder, a laughter like hail falling, and a whisper like the sounds of pattering rain." The yellow lady smiles as her sister reveals the clue, but otherwise remains unaffected.

"We will give you another chance," says the emerald mermaid, the kind and the just. "Think but think quickly."

Vibrant pink tail swirls in the water as the pink lady begins to sing, the next target being chosen.

"Ivory face,
Crimson heart

Plant life,
New limb

Fumble through life,
Love will begin.
"

"Of whom does my sister speak?" a crimson lady asks next.

[ You have 72 hours to respond to the riddle. ]

Outcast
Cami
She was not right, but neither were any of the other’s present. A shivering breath was drawn, insecurity within her bod, but relief all the same when they were promised another try. Her dainty lobes perked as yet another mermaid spoke, the riddle this time not much easier. It could be Poppy, with the mention of plants, or it could be Willow the lignea, or even Xira, the pegasi with her recent quest. But then, she settled on one name, one that she felt made perfect sense.

My guess is Andash, for he is pale of face and crimson of heart,” she said, not needing to explain any further. Dany looked at the others present, not failing in the belief that she spoke the truth. Of course, there was always a risk with placing the first guess; had she been rash? What if other opportunities were left out? It was too late to worry now, and the pale damsel held her ground, looking expectantly at the mermaids for an answer.

GUESS: ANDASH

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
Ktulu Guess: Andash