the Rift

[OPEN] !! Face Up [Herb Garden]

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
RES && VAL
The soft-spoken mare didn't have the mind to weep over the destruction of her herb garden. She had been working on it slowly since the return to these lands. Each of the days had been slow process, interrupted by minuscule things. But, she had yet to allow a complaint to slide from her mouth.

The devastation of the garden brought tears the the mare's eyes as she worked. Diligently, she pulled weed after weed from the now uneven, broken rows of lines that she had spent hours upon earlier in accomplishing. Valiance, circling above and taking pile after pile of weeds from the side of the garden to a massive pile below the trees. It was true, plants were growing, but they were not the right plants growing. They were not plants that could assist in healing those in her herd when it was necessary. She may have a few peppermint here - maybe a few blue cohosh there. Perhaps there were signs of catnip and chamomille. But, she had given the strongest supply to Kiara, knowing that she would be able to regrow it when she knew for sure where some of these plants grew. It would just take work. But, the first task was to ensure that there was a garden for these plants to survive in.

So, she allowed herself to keep working, attempting to keep out the distractions from the rest of the World's Edge. More weeds, more piles. It was going to be a long day when she had barely done a quarter of what had been the garden before they had needed to disappear for plague. And, of course, she was dead set on finishing it today - maybe even starting to redo the perfect lines of rows she had done earlier.

After all, the sooner the garden looked better the sooner they could start to plant more herbs.
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

I had become quite an explorer, in my short time with the World’s Edge. I did wonder, however, if sometimes my interest expanded too far beyond the borders of my immediate home. I yet knew very little of the Edge… a few names and faces, nothing more. With the desire to rectify this fresh in my mind, I wandered without any direct purpose under the sharp glare of a fearsome sun. It was not, at least, so warm as it had been with my winter coat in full, but reluctant tufts remained, here and there. I caught my ribs on trees as I moved past, scraping off what agreed to go; a gentleman I had never been, but I knew how to act the part. I ought to look it, as well. My intentions, caught in frivolity as they were, had little to do with honest work.

But honest work caught me, all the same.

It began as a strange noise: a sort of scuffling, as of dirt being moved. Curiously, my ears twisted to follow it. A badger? No – no sharp scent. And the noise was wrong; it recalled hooves. I suspected a herd mate, rather than a beast. I was not disappointed.

”Resplendence.” I recognized the healer’s pale form immediately; my tone brightened with recognition, nearly joy. I could not call her a friend, but something – something moved happily in me, at the familiar sight. I paused a moment to think over the pitiable state of my social life as I examined her work. She had cleared a wreckage of earth and weeds – clearly some manner of construction, yet foreign to me. Quite orderly. With an absent glance at the bright glow of her feathered dragon, I cocked an ear. ”What are you up to?” Of course, the more important question lay waiting somewhere on the back of my tongue, the one felt keenly whenever I found myself in presence of those who had first revived me, on that day of my arrival: do you need my help?

RES && VAL
The tiny mare continued her work. Valiance still moving pile after pile. She would not be distracted. Unless there was a call of panic, Resplendence would not move from her spot other than to move down the row. Each pull was getting quicker as she found better ways to grasp onto the weeds, to pull them from their roots instead of snapping them at the stalks. Patience and methodology were definitely at play here. In fact, she was so engulfed in her task that she jumped at the sound of her name. Valiance taking to the air and squawking in the adorable - but meaning to be threatening tone which died as soon as Resplendence realized it was another Edge member who had spoken.

Her frame trembling as she spun around on her haunches, she lifted her cranium and allowed wide eyes to take in the unicorn she had healed not so long ago. "R-Ruske." A pause as she lowers her skull and takes in a deep breath. "It's you." an inch of joy at a familiar face slipping into her nervous voice from the jump. He cocks his ear before asking what it is that she is up to. "Working on the herb garden..." she trails off for a moment, sadness slipping into her soft-spoken voice that rarely goes above a whisper in these times. "...it was destroyed with the plague of darkness that happened not too long ago - along with the wall, and many other things we had worked on." A depressed smile curls up the corners of her maw as Valiance drops another weed on her maw to get her to pay attention to the task at hand again.

"What are you doing this fine day?" she offered, before ducking her head again and returning to yanking more weeds from their place in the rows of the garden.

// still open to anyone who wants to join ;3
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

I had never considered myself a particularly stealthy beast, but as Resplendence flinched in response to my voice, I bit back the urge to wince. My eyes crept over the nervous quiver of her small frame; my head lowered – apologetic. Carefully, I kept the long, knotted spiral of my horn cocked away. Had she bad experiences with unicorns? With stallions? Or was she merely flighty? I knew so little... resigned to observing for the moment, I returned my attention to the patch of earth and weeds.

A garden.

She continued to defy my hopes – or perhaps the word is truly exceed. Though she stood smaller than myself, and perhaps more easily frightened, I felt awe blooming in my mind. Medicine – science – is strange in that way. It flourishes under the attention of labor which leaves little trace upon the body. I had never guessed, before, how well-organized my new herd might be – in shambles or not. "You are rebuilding." I nodded. Obviously the weight of destruction wore heavy on her; it gleamed a little sadly in her eyes, hung in dilapidated curves around her smile. I understood that pain – but not the essence of rebirth, as she seemed to. I had only ever mastered the art of running away.

As she ducked her head to pluck another weed, I stepped forward. Two in tandem would accelerate the work – and work might present an opportunity to converse more candidly than mere awkward conversation. I grasped the nearest of the plants at its base and tore up, showers of dirt tumbling from my lips – inelegant, but effective. I tossed the detritus away before turning back to the mare. "Offering assistance to one who aided me," I supposed, my tone more than a little wry. "In all honesty, I’m glad to have found you. I was only wandering, feeling rather useless." I shuffled forward to tear up a few more weeds, the taste bitter on my tongue. "But it seems there is more than enough for one to do, if one manages to find it…" I paused then, mulling over the next statement. It brought to mind a darkness too familiar – another land, overtaken by despair. I failed to hide the frown growing, however briefly, over my face. "I am sorry to hear… what happened. My previous home was also stricken by disaster, sometime ago…" With a shake of my head, I dismissed the unhappy notion. "No doubt Evangeline has told you."

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Restless and too impatient to stand around doing nothing the pale mare tried to busy herself with things figuring it was useless to worry about things that she had no control over. Nothing had changed but in the same sense everything had changed including the world around them. The destruction that had befallen the land had been hard on everyone, their homes essentially destroyed. Rebuilding was the only way forward to give them all the hopes of starting over again, hopefully better than they had the last time. Many things stuck within her mind as if they had been glued there permanently, in some ways it was more of a burden than a blessing. Her own mood had been considerably lifted over the past couple days inspiring her to try and pass along some good spirit to others.

Her time here within the Edge had taught her much in the ways of social skills and the more knowledgeable aspects of healing, what could she do with it all though? Pondering the thought for awhile she remembered the garden that Resplendence had been working on, what if she tried to help more with that? Much of it had been destroyed with last big event, hmmm what if she went out and collected some new stuff for the garden, Ya that would work. Many of the plants that they had been able to work with from before were still fresh within her mind, surely she could manage to find some and bring them back to plant. With her heart set she trotted off to find some of the listed plants hoping to find as many as possible.

A couple hours later she was heading to search for Resplendence carrying the only plant she had managed to dig up nearby their herdland. The medium sized plant was fairly short at the moment with it being spring but she was almost positive that it was the herb known as Angelica. It had taken her multiple tries to dig it out of the ground without severing majority of its roots but in the end she had managed. Dirt still partially clung to the rooted portion of the plant but majority of the dirt had been left upon her feet and legs, normally a shaded grey they were more bordering on a brownish colouration now. Spotting Res up ahead talking with another that she did not recognize she slowed her pace slightly nodding in greeting as she stopped nearby. Carefully extracting the plant from her mouth she set it on the ground before her so she could speak. " Resplendence I brought you a new plant for the garden, I thought we may be able to make use of it with it being spring and all." She said softly with a smile as she motioned down to the Angelica plant. Hopefully it was what she thought it was so she didn't wind up looking like a fool.

"Hi my name is Brisa" She said softly suddenly remembering the other stallion beside them feeling rude for not saying something before. "I hope I am not interrupting."

Brisa speaks

TAGS: @[Ruske], @[Resplendence]
MUSE: Good
NOTES: Hope you don't mind me dropping in. Let me know if you want to be tagged in future threads.

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

RES && VAL
As she explained how she was attempting to rebuild the garden he seemed to be taking her in. His words after are simple, saying that she is rebuilding and all she can do is nod her head before ducking back down to the weeds that needed to be pulled.

He steps forward now, and she does not flinch. A low breath escaping her maw before she pulls, her forelimbs already covered in the soil that she has been working in for a few hours today. The yanking of another plant has Resplendence lifting her maw and managing a small grin at Ruske who is now speaking again. As he shuffles forward, so does she, and they manage to pull up at almost the same time. It is the frown on his face, however, that catches her eye. No words escape her mouth - just a tilted head of concern, before he speaks. He shakes his head, stopping the discussion of his home being stricken of disaster, before saying that Evangeline must have told her.

One more yank, and she allows words to fall from her mouth - Valiance now picking up the pile and once again depositing it on the side in his normal cycle. "She has not, no. We spoke once or twice, and she has assisted in gathering herbs. But, it was when this darkness was growing that we spoke, so we did not speak of much else..." she whispered. A gentle pause, but as she goes to speak again there are more hooves entering the space and Valiance is cawing in remembrance of the nurse who has arrived.

Still, Valiance does not like others near her, but he has learned (at least a little bit) to put up with those he recognizes as safe. It is Brisa, and it seems she has brought a plant we could use. A smile graces Res's face as she nods her head. "Angelica. That will be lovely!" She says, and Valiance flies down, snatches it with his talons and very slowly heaves it back up and over to rest beside Res's herb box. Audible puffs are escaping his mouth as he sits atop the box, job done until the next pile of weeds is done. "Thank you. And you aren't interrupting in the least."

The shyness that is forever in Res does not leave, voice never holding the authority it probably should for being one so high in position as she is. "Please, join in if you wish. I was just tearing up weeds and Ruske decided to join, We still have at least three quarters left to pull up and the more the merrier." she offers. Then, still awfully quiet, she turns back to Ruske. "I am sorry for all that you have been through - there is no doubt that whatever it was has scarred you in some way..." Intelligence, understanding, and a nurturing nature - that is Res. That is something one cannot change.

No need to tag me ;3
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

I began to wonder why I bothered speaking of Isilme, when it deserved no mention in the present company. Did I want pity? Sympathy…? Resplendence knew nothing of it, anyway. I merely nodded as she spoke, unable to dredge up more intelligent comment. In silence I continued our work, unable to shake a sensation of drifting, lost and without a proper place.

Thankfully, another joined us before my silence required any remediation. I paused, head lifted to regard a mare the color of old snow. She carried something large and green – a plant – angelica, she graciously identified it. I studied plant and mare in silence, gaze stirring only when Resplendence moved to thank her. I found myself introduced by the healer, and the stranger introduced herself as Brisa – easy enough to remember. With a small incline of my head, I answered her concern, as well. "A pleasure to meet you." Feigning interest grew old, now – weighed on me. I wanted to care, but found my thoughts wandering – ill at ease. What did I want here, with these mares?

"Work is always better with more hooves," I instead said aloud, echoing the Moon Doctor’s sentiments. Then out of curiosity, to change to subject to something lighter, I added, "I take it you must have a mind for healing, as well?" hoping it would spark some conversation – something. I wished all attention in the world away from myself, even as Resplendence turned to me, her pity soft but – difficult to receive.

"It is of little consequence," I muttered, returning to work with a flick of my tail. Why had I ever brought it up? I did not wish to think of shadows in this place – and yet I only ever thought of them. Of shadows and a warped future, curling ahead like so much smoke.

@[Brisa]

It always seemed rather awkward walking into a conversation when you had no idea what the current topic was about, but this was about as awkward as it got. Neither Res or the other stallion seemed to particularly enjoy the topic of their conversation before she showed up, it was a little like walking in on complete strangers. Deciding it was best to push past the weirdness she nodded brightly at the invitation to join in and help restore their garden to what it was formally. It would take a lot of work but things could definitely get done a lot faster with them all working together.

Moving over beside Resplendence she acknowledged the stallion's welcome gratefully with a brief smile before lowering her head to see what all still needed weeded. Tilting her head in thought she tried to remember what all was weed and what was useful to them, some of them she remembered from memory while others she was on the fence about. She would just stay away from the ones she did not know, she would rather be safe than rip out something that was important. Reaching forward with her front foot she used her hoof to dig at the remaining weeds hoping to loosen the dirt around them so they would come out easier.

Flicking her ears in curiosity at the bits of the previous conversation she tried to not listen in as it was none of her business, but there was always that tempting urge to know what they were talking about. No it would be rude to ask she mused silently to herself, she just needed to butt out and leave it alone. As a moment of silence broke she turned her head over to the stallion to respond to his question. "I am hoping to become good with healing, it will take a long time before I will know as much as Resplendence though." She explained casting a glance sideways to the other mare before returning her gaze to the unicorn. " Are you a healer like Resplendence or do you do some other job?"

Her question was her way of trying to figure out who this stranger was considering she did not know all to many of who had joined their herd after the darkness had lifted. It was something she probably should be more aware of but her wandering always seemed to get in the way of that.

Brisa speaks

TAGS: Ruske, Resplendence
NOTES: ^^

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

RES && VAL
There were quick questions passed around. The sound of hooves digging in the dirt until it was easy enough to tug things from. Work was good for the soul, this Res was certain of. And so she worked hard as the words were exchanged between their maws.

Valiance continued to float around picking up pile after pile of the weeds that were being tossed to the side while they worked. Occasionally, he would let out a hiss of distaste and it would be Resplendence's glare that had him moving back onto the task that was at hand.

Gentle eyes looked over towards Brisa as she heard her begin to speak. Eyes lowered, a gentle smile on her face as she bowed her head. "I'm not that good. I'm certain there is plenty more to learn that I do not know" Whispered words slide from her mouth as she glances over towards Ruske. Yes, just what was he going to be taking up here. She would love the help here with the herbs and the teaching, as Eva had said he was skilled in such. But, at the same time she would not push anyone.

She stopped for a moment, looking up and noticing that a good third of the garden was weed free. A gentle breathe in, before she glances over towards the other two. Perhaps they should do this in sections. Maybe it would be easier and go faster that way. And, then they would have some herbs growing while they were cleaning out the rest of them -starting the supply to go back into her herb box.

A sweet vibrato flits into the air as she allows herself to work up the courage to speak - to give orders when she never felt like she was meant for it. "We have a third done. Perhaps we start to plant some seeds - that way as we continue to work down and pull out more weeds we will have some herbs already growing..." Gentle words, humble thoughts. Valiance circling around to gather some of the left over seeds from Res's herb box and chirping in agreement.
HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

Silence hung heavy, an oppressive entity in the spaces between our words. I frowned to myself, certain lighter conversation topics ought to come to mind but finding little at my convenience. I distracted myself with work, surprised to find gratitude stirring in my breast when at last Brisa spoke, her question obvious but polite. It scattered darker subjects from my thoughts.

“I am a nurse.” I paused my search for weeds long enough to lift my head. For a moment I studied her again, supposing I ought to recognize my colleagues elsewhere if the need ever arose. She appeared polite, at least – humble. Unobtrusive. “I’ve only been here in the World’s Edge for a short time. I suppose that’s why we’ve never met. Until some time ago I called the land Isilme home; I was a healer there, as well. I had god-given magic, then…” A pause as I considered the topic. If it sounded arrogant, I supposed I had a right to sound so, though my rank and my history meant little in this strange land. “I suppose the gods here are different,” I mused, recalling Resplendence’s magic. The subject called to mind a sudden curiosity; rather than ask I let the question hang unspoken, aware that with work to be done, any gap of time wasted too long in wondering may leave a bad impression. Let them answer if they wished; if not, I filed away the curiosity for later use. I had not dreamt of gods in a long time.

Recalling Resplendence’s statement from a moment earlier, I turned to blink at her then, acknowledging her humility with a small nod of the head. She ought to stand up a little more proudly, but she was correct in a small way. “There is always more to learn. I myself know very much of what goes on inside a unicorn, but less of other creatures – and I have never planted a true garden. So you are advanced on my knowledge, in truth.” I spoke sincerely, impressed thus far with all I had seen in the World’s Edge – the magic and the individuals gathered here. “I am willing to help in whatever way I can – if either of you know of ways to make an old man feel useful.” Simpering, I lowered my head again to finish clearing the row I walked along, aware to some degree that perhaps I had said too much – overstepped my bounds. I no longer recalled exactly the correct words to say, felt any awareness of how others might perceive myself. I had never enjoyed camaraderie such as this… It was strange, the contentment it bred in my mind, the easy familiarity. I enjoyed the company of these creatures.

I paused once again when Resplendence spoke, ears twisting to catch the low, sweet cadence of her voice. If only she spoke a little louder… but perhaps she was young – I had no way of knowing. Perhaps in time she would grow stronger in her place. “That may be a good idea,” I agreed with a nod. “Brisa’s angelica would do well to be planted quickly, if you intend to let it take root here.” I acknowledged to the grey mare once again before I turned to eye Valiance, where he circled near a large box at the edge of the garden. “What else do you have here?”

@[Brisa]
[ sorry for the wait; I couldn't remember if you wanted to be tagged or not, but figured with the amount of time I took, I might as well ]

As the silence seemed to lapse for an extended period of time the grey easily pursued her task letting it consume her mind. There was nothing really difficult about pulling weeds well except on those whose roots were buried deep within the soil, those proved more annoying than difficult. Tossing a large dandelion into her growing pile beside her she finally heard Ruske's vocals come to life again. Tilting her ears to catch each word she lifted her gaze to look over to the stallion. Isilme, hmm she had never heard of that place before.

There was a chance she could have visited there before but majority of the lands she passed through she never did find out their name. All those times she was too concerned about her past catching up with her. Things were better now that she had come to Helovia but the thought still lingered if there was really such a thing as a safe place.

"I'm afraid I don't know too much about the gods here to be of much help. I have heard much about them and viewed the shrines but things are still rather foggy." She commented softly wishing she had more information to offer. While she was tempted to ask what magic Ruske had been gifted with she held back not wanting to intrude upon his past. There were just somethings that were better left in the past.

Before she had come to Helovia she had not heard much about the art of healing, it had been here that she had found an interest in the many different types of plants that could be used. There would have been many times in her life that she could have made use of them to treat wounds or burns and all that fun stuff. I wouldn't take away the pain completely but it could at least dull it down a few notches. If she remembered correctly one of the pain medicines was parts of the willow tree, surely she could have found one around back then. Oh well it was too late for that now, she could at least know it for the future should anything ever happen.

"I was gifted with magic not all that long ago, but it can't help anyone to get better. I'm not really sure what its capable of.." It was hard enough to try and channel the energy when she wanted it but she was slowly getting the hang of it.

Looking to Resplendence for more instructions on the planting of the seeds she couldn't help but wonder about the greenhouse again. " Do you know anything about the greenhouse that we had talked about building? I have not heard if we had started it yet or not." She questioned hoping that she might be able to help out with it when they did get around to the building of it. Glancing over to Ruske standing over by the herb box she moved over to join him for a moment. "Resplendence has been keeping some of the herbs in here so that we have access to them whenever we need them." Looking down at the many dried herbs she realized she had never actually gotten a chance to look at the large variety that they had collected. Some she could easily tell what they were but some of the others she did not recognize, would she ever learn all the different names?

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @[Resplendence], Ruske •• NOTES: No worries, usually I like to be tagged anyway :) ••

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs

He states his position as a nurse, and Res can feel the warmth flowering in her bosom as she allows her audit to keep a lock on Ruske and his words while she continued to yank the weeds from the ground. Brisa offering her comments in between, speaking of he magic She speaks humbly and then listens once more as he speaks of what he has seen here. A gentle smile laced her lips as she bobbed her head, "I'm sure we will find the perfect niche for you to assist in," Resplendence offered before speaking about actually starting to plant the rows.

It is Ruske who agrees, and acknowledges the Angelica. So, with a nod, Res has Valiance pick it up and place it next to the stag. "Of course - you may do the honours if you'd like," she says before glancing over towards Brisa who is now asking about the greenhouse. A slight pause as she starts to dig her hoof in and force the dirt off to the sides, creating rows, before she speaks back up. "I hope we can start it soon, to have most of it ready by the next Frostfall. But, that is up to our crafters and when they have time."

Valiance, now satisfied with the position of the Angelica, has returned to gather a 'fistful' of chamomile seeds, which he carefully spreads down the row which Res has dug. "And, as far as the herbs it is mainly poisons left in there. The other herds seemed to have depleted our supply without asking. Some even took the poisons. We will need plenty more, as all that is on hand at the moment are those which can naturally grow here," she explains before glancing back over towards them. "Those who want to start digging lines can go ahead, and Valiance will spread the seeds that we have. If you don't wish to dig then you can keep puling weeds from the other side."

Res pauses, taking a short break in order to move the weeds out of the way of where the rows needed to go. "What knowledge do you know, specifically, Ruske - and you as well, Brisa. After all, specialization could really help in times of need..." quiet vocals tremble out as she allowed her words to fall into the air, eyes dropping down as she went back to work, mainly to hide her shyness about it all.
Resplendence
just in case i say anything brilliant
Image Credit
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

I learned Brisa, too, knew only a little of Helovia’s gods. If nothing else, I suffered ignorance in good company, then. Resplendence said nothing of the subject; I recorded the question for later use. If nothing else, it promised a diversion in some nebulous future, when I had divested myself of more intriguing topics. Moving on, I listened as Brisa continued to speak, though she only touched ambiguously on some magic of her own. And what kind? How could one possess such a skill and fail to utilize it? Map out every facet of its use at once? I longed to ask more, but she changed the subject quickly, speaking of a greenhouse evidently in their plans but uncompleted. An old ambition of my own, as well – but long ago, in a land without the glasswork found here in the Edge.

Though I felt a stab of disappointment in the face of the Moon Doctor’s vague reply, I swallowed the feeling quickly enough. “Are they at work on many projects?” I wondered aloud. Another wall, perhaps? Or something else...? “The Edge is blessed to have such a power under its control,” I observed absently, recalling again the great shards of the broken wall. Even in a state of ruin, they were magnificent. Did the other herds, then, wield similar magic...? I wondered, but I did not voice the question, all too aware of my own mind moving quickly back and forth, my thoughts whirling away to distraction.

Valiance was a flash of crimson at my side, the angelica mentioned earlier placed delicate near my forefeet. “Very well.” I moved from the seed chest, angelica grasped lightly between my teeth. A small nod acknowledged Brisa’s comment, a surge of wonder acknowledging, again, the forethought of these creatures – keeping seeds, not for days but months, in such easy reach! I felt a little foolish, truly, in all my years only capable of scattered organization – the legacy of a man kept running. Absently I scooped the earth away with a forehoof, and let the angelica drop into its new home. I thought over Resplendence’s words as I nudged dirt back in around the stem, satisfied that, though it sat perhaps a little crooked, it would grow straight and true.

“You allow other herds to take what they will?” With my mouth free of the herb, I was able to ask. “Even poison?” It seemed almost naïve, such a trust... Though surely other herds might find poison on their own, if they had necessity. “Do you have much use for toxins?” I wondered, as well. Resplendence hardly seemed the type... though perhaps I had misjudged. Absently, I moved from the new-planted angelica to drag small furrows in the fresh earth, obedient to the Moon Doctor’s suggestion. It required somewhat more attention than the mere pulling of weeds; I focused in order to drag the lines straight, though one ear tilted up to catch the next question. I mulled it over for some time as I moved, tail tip quivering in betrayal of small anxiety. How best to broach the subject?

“I know much about the healing of wounds,” I answered at last, pausing momentarily to think it through. Oh – much about the ways soldiers could be cut up. I cocked my head. “And the workings inside of creatures like ourselves. I had... failed to find many pegasi willing to...” I snorted quietly, “serve as subjects for appropriate research, though I suspect their wings function as birds’ do. How they manage it without the appropriate chest muscle, I could not say.” Perhaps they knew, already. I shook myself in a mild shrug. “I have a grasp of basic herbal remedies – willow for fevers, aloe for mild burns, though I am not certain where in Helovia might prove hospitable to such a plant. Fire makes good work of wounds, though it can be treacherous as well. I am fond of poppies for those in a great deal of pain, and they are good for easing troublesome creatures to sleep.” I hesitated, thinking. How easy life had been with magic at my call – or when I had given up on everything. I remembered, momentarily, the mud and desperation of my very early life. “I spent a great deal of my young life skirting battlefields. Tending the wounded was my first calling. Not always my choice. If you’ve more specific questions, I will answer them.”

@[Brisa]

Specialization? Who her? Surely the question was meant more for Ruske than it was herself she mused silently as she listened to the conversation proceed around her. Ruske talked more of his skills from the past which seemed to be quite impressive with or without magic. His knowledge was much greater than she could fathom from her own, that much was for sure. While all the herbs were of interest to her she tended to find herself drawn to the specific function of healing and pain relief. Why she did not know but maybe it was residue that still lingered from her less than perfect past. It also came in handy for many situations that could happen down the road and for those times where she would be the guinea pig testing them on herself. Being rather accident prone by nature it would be her own personal arsenal of knowledge to draw from.

News of the greenhouse was still rather unchanged from what she had picked up from their last meeting but at least it was not forgotten altogether. Acknowledging Res with a nod and a small smile she turned back to watching where she was digging. It would not be a good thing to accidently pull something important out when there was an obvious need to restock their supplies. Knowing that other herds had been allowed to take what they wished from their stock confused her a little. Why should they be allowed access to all of them when they do nothing to contribute to stocking it in the first place? The logical aspect from her mind would be that if someone used one thing they either needed to replace what they took or lend a hand in gathering other herbs that may be harder to find. "Why do we let the other herds use what we gather? Shouldn't they be helping to stock it if they are using it?" She commented her voice still soft but curious.

As Ruske finished with his long list of credentials she knew she needed to at least say something of the knowledge she had picked up with Alysanne's help and many others of the herd. Some of the things she had learned recently was that combining certain herbs together you could make something that helped more difficult problems. " You both know much more than I do but I have been finding out there are some combinations of certain herbs that do more together than if they were given individually." Pausing for a moment to recall exactly what herbs were needed she finally continued.

" If you use Celery seed and Rosehips together it helps to cleanse the body of toxins and helps with muscle and joint stiffness. There was also another I heard could help treat bad tumours, I think it was a combination of fenugreek, burdock, garlic, red clover, cliver and echinacea or something like that." Thinking back about where she had first come across using multiple herbs it was from an old mare in one of the places she had travelled to in past years. In the short time she had been there she had been able to watch her work and it was quite amazing to see her results. She would have loved to stay to learn more but at that point in her life she could not stay or else everyone there would be in danger.

Turning to Ruske again she was curious to know how fire helped to heal wounds. She had heard of herbs helping but never fire before, to her knowledge it only destroyed things. Her thoughts trailed back to the couple of trees that had nearly paid the price of her inexperience with her magic. Not exactly anything she would want to try on anyone or anything to figure it out for herself. " Ruske, you mentioned fire helped to heal... how can it help when it only destroys all that it touches?" She asked pricking her ears forward as she spoke. " The magic that I was given is fire... well sort of. Its a little hard to explain without seeing it for yourself." She was uncertain whether or not to try and use it again with it still being rather unknown to her. The words that the golden witch had used still haunted her making her scared to use the magic given to her. So far it had not hurt anyone but she had clearly seen what it could do to a tree. What if she hurt someone by accident with it.. she would never forgive herself.

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: @[Ruske], @[Resplendence] •• NOTES: -- ••

He asked about the projects, if they had many others and all Res could do was shrug. "I believe so - there is a lot to be fixed, taken care of again that wasn't there before the darkness. Though, I haven't spoken personally with our glaziers to see just what is in the works…" she explained, before continuing with her work, trying her hardest to create the lines as quickly as possible with the accuracy level which she desires.

However, the question about allowing others to take her herbs did jar her a little, a bit of anger at the fact that they would believe she would willingly allow them to take from her. "No. I didn't allow it. They stole from it over time, in small amounts. And, when we all moved back up here we did not bring the box, uncertain if we would have to go back to the caves or not. When we returned to have it, the box had been raided." there was a bit more hotness to her voice - knowing that they knew her to be a pacifist, just not understanding why they thought her dumb. A gentle sigh as she shook her head, digging up another line. "I keep them in case someone were to attack my family. I know I'm unable to fight, so I figured I could say they would heal and poison them for injuring those I cared for. I keep a small supply of different ones on hand - though I've only used it once when I caught a locoweed addict trying to raid my case," she explained, sheepishly dropping her had back down and then, a few seconds later, asking what it was the two of them specialized in.

What Ruske responded with, she would admit, surprised her a little. He had spent a while in this profession, and he could definitely be of use. Her mild voice took to the air again as she nodded her head before listening as Brisa spoke of different combinations of herbs. Good, they knew things Res generally didn't concentrate upon. It would serve the herd well for them to spread their knowledge. "I've been thinking about starting up classes for our nurses. Would either of you be willing to teach something to others if the opportunity was given? I feel it will unite us, make us stronger - make the herd stronger. Perhaps we can even offer a first aid class just for the warriors in case if something were to happen on the field that we could not get to right away?" A bit of vomit, but something she had been mulling around. After all, she simply wanted a stronger herd - a herd that could be safer.

Image by Mockingale
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Unregistered
Ruske;;
above all, do no harm.

Perhaps Brisa and I both were a little too direct in asking about the safety of the herb box. It came from a place of mutual concern, I knew, but Resplendence seemed to bristle in answer to the question. Quietly, I listened to her response, acknowledging the moon doctor with a nod. “I didn’t realize... Such untrustworthy creatures.” Unsurprising, but annoying. “I’m glad to see the herbs back in the Edge now, at least.” It could be protected here. I began to move on, dragging careful furrows in the soil with one hoof. Creating a straight line proved more difficult than it ought. Meanwhile, I listened to the moon doctor explain her reason for keeping poisons. It was a surprisingly apt one, a practice I myself approved of, though I gave no acknowledgement of that. Instead, I merely continued to work. Though productive, the garden’s maintenance quickly proved tedious. Hopefully, it would require less concentration once we had plants in the ground.

The subject changed to discussion of our own healing skills, and I listened with some interest to Brisa’s response. She claimed to know much less than Resplendence or myself, but in her answer I heard a keen ability for improvisation, and perhaps experimentation. Nurtured properly, her knowledge might grow to be of great use; mixing herbs, though useful, could prove dangerous without the proper knowledge. I nodded approval, then turned to Resplendence to catch her question. Classes? Teaching? My head came up, ears pricked with interest. “I would be glad to help in teaching. Before I came here, it was my ambition to pass on my knowledge to others.” A failed ambition, like most of mine had ended up. Perhaps if I had not foolishly run about at the bidding of demigods, putting fire to things... But that was long past. I would be well-behaved here in the Edge. I had decided that. “I could pass on the knowledge necessary to give basic aid to warriors and new nurses alike, if it would be helpful.” I cast a glance at Brisa, then. “I would be interested to hear more of what Brisa knows, as well, if you ever feel up to sharing it all.” I tried to give an encouraging smile, though perhaps it only looked patronizing.

My attention remained on Brisa, however, as she went on to ask about fire – oh, the dearest of elements, in my eyes. Though it had also caused my ruin, it was still a useful thing. “Fire does not destroy,” I answered crisply, “It cleanses. Though it would be foolish to set an injured warrior aflame, it can sometimes stop the bleeding of deep wounds, and the heat seems to keep infection off, at times. It must be applied delicately, of course. I would be interested in seeing your magic, if you ever wished to show me. My own healing was done with fire, often enough, in my old home.” Though that had been different, I hoped to sound optimistic. Phoenix help me, I had been dwelling on the worst things in life long enough.

@[Brisa]

Half lost in thought as the herb combination discussion had drew more of her conversations with the old wise healer. Whether or not she had realized it at the time she had learned a good bit from her ramblings not that all of them were actually sane. While her own wounds had healed she had gotten the chance to see some of the strange combinations actually working for herself. At the time she had not known much about herbs and plants so the names were of no real meaning to her back then, but now armed with a basic knowledge of what each plant was it helped her to understand it.

The sharpness of Res's response about her earlier questions made her cheeks grow hot, great her big mouth had gone and done it again. You would think that she would have learned by now to not ask such stupid questions when the answer should be apparent. Well nothing could be done about it now she would just take it for what it was and know better next time not to open her mouth when she had not really thought the question through. Nodding in agreement with Ruske's comments on the subject she otherwise said nothing more on the topic not wanting to say something else she shouldn't. Ok so moving on... Looking down to what she was doing she put more concentration into making her lines look straighter and more precise like Ruske's. Leave it to her to fail at making a straight line she mused sarcastically.

Listening to the conversation turn into a much more pleasant topic she lifted her head as Res began to talk about the idea of teaching classes to others of the herd. While it would be a great asset to those warriors out in the field her first thought was wondering how she was going to managed to teach someone something. Strangers tended to bring on episodes of rambling when it came to her talking to them, well this might be rather amusing. She just might have to do a couple run overs with the pines later on if she was going to pull this off and not embarrass herself, not that talking to trees really helped her case. " I can do my best to help out as well." Just please don't make me get stuck with Note... Her silent plea remained within her mind as she managed to put two and two together. Edge Warriors...that meant....ahh hell no If she somehow managed to get stuck trying to talk to Note in these classes she could easily see things turning ugly if her thoughts translated into words. Damn bastard how dare he knock her up and just leave without a word!

" Sure, I can go over sometime what little I know about the combinations, I'm not sure how useful they will be though." Later on she would have to sort through all of what she could remember about her meetings with the crazy yet wise healer. Adding that as a mental note she listened as Ruske went on to speak more about his own skill set and knowledge about fire. Fire does not destroy? There would likely be a few trees that would be in opposition to that comment when she was first learning what her magic was. She was hesitant to try and use her magic out of the fear of anything going horribly wrong, she did not want to set anyone or anything on fire. The last couple times that she had tried things had turned out alright though.. maybe she could try again... " I doubt that my magic could be used for much in the way of healing but I can show you if you would like to see what I mean."

Pausing what she was doing she turned around walking a couple feet away from the others just to be on the safe side she turned back to face Ruske and Res. Glancing around for any nearby fire hazards that might possibly ignite she positioned herself the best she could away from them before reaching out with her mind to find that ember buried deep within her mind. The first time she had managed to do this it had taken days for her to find the right trigger other than her emotions, now things were much easier. Probing deeper she felt the burn touch her mind gently before she grabbed hold of it willing it to ignite. The crackling of the flames and the warmth let her know she had pulled it off. Opening her eyes she looked down to her skin and sure enough found the mixture of blue and white flame covering her entire body like a glove. Taking a breath she glanced over to her friends wondering what their thoughts would be. " Its all still a little strange but it doesn't hurt me in the slightest, I have no idea about anyone else though."

Brisa talks
Aeolus talks
Levex talks

•• TAGS: @[Resplendence] •• NOTES: -- ••

a silhouette and nothing more is all that's left behind

He said he didn't realize. But of course they didn't realize. They thought she was that much of a push over and it managed to actually bristle her gentle soul. Alas, she allowed it to slide as they continued to move down the garden line by line. Valiance, was dropping the seeds in for them with each row that was completed before they moved onto the topic of healing abilities and classes.

Gentle orbs looked at them again as Ruske offered to teach, a gentle (yet weak) smile graced Res's lip as she nodded her head in response to his offer. "That would be lovely. I will bring such topics up a the healer meeting," she says before he began to explain about the healing which had been accomplished with fire. Valiance bristled in his place - wishing that he could use his firebreathing at this point, but continued his duty in the garden, lining each of the rows with seeds in hopes that they would grow.

However, as Brisa moved out to the side Res's eyes peered up to meet he mare who stood before them. Fire suddenly erupting to life and licking her frame. Res stumbled backwards, panic setting in. God, that was going to be added to the list of her nightmares, now wasn't it? "Oh Gods. Are you sure that doesn't hurt you? Though, I can promise you that I will not be one to test whether it hurts anything else," she asked, audit pinned back against her cranium. And it seemed as though Valiance agreed, for as he perched upon Res's withers he let out a low hiss of disdain.

One more round of posting then call the thread complete?
@[Ruske]

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
When I'm ready to fall
With love