the Rift

Cry like you should

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

Somehow, I realized that I was cold and wet—my mind drifted past the fog of unreality, past the leering creatures of dreamscape and darkness. I opened my eyes, and viewed earth from a fuzzy, slanted perspective. Head was mushed into the dirt, sloppy and wet. Fur matted and tangled, I twitched, blinking in and out of consciousness.

“M-m-mom-ma,” soundless voice crooked weakly, searching with thoughts for her warmth, her presence. I kept expecting that at any moment now, those silver orbs would loom over me—a warm cloak would descend. I’d lean into that comforting voice. It was raining, lightly—a cool drizzle that was more mist than droplets. A dark early morning sky loomed overhead; the sun hadn’t made it to the horizon yet.

With an effort I raised my crown to look around, bending over under the weight of gravity that seemed so unfamiliar to me.

“M-m-moooma?” mind was sharping, growing stronger now, though the voice that crept from this fractured soul was forevermore a soundless whimper that was reaching nobody. I shivered, slowly giving way to lie back in the mud. Too weak to rise, too tired to fight at full strength. Like a newborn babe I lay still, though this body was far from childlike by appearance. Nostril’s flared, drawing in the scents around me—the taste of mountain pine. “Da?” The drum of heaven shook the sky and I trembled violently, unknowingly sliding ears back before lids slide shut in an attempt to travel back into that other place. Quiet. Safety.

credits

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
She’s walking through the Threshold, perhaps not the smartest idea when one is swollen with child, but Illynx is not a common woman and does not do what most would when in her situation. Her ears are ever watchful, of course, more so than usual, but she would rather forfeit her life immediately than be confined to a mountainous prison for the duration of her pregnancy like some sort of delicate and deathly ill bird of immense value. She was not a pet, or a creature that could be held by any bounds, even when death and danger loomed outside her doorway.

That is part of the reason why she’s here; her nose is constantly inhaling deep breaths that she half hopes will bring her the smell of that dirty, white faced slut that brought such pain and trauma to Arah and her daughters, or that she’ll over hear the word Regime in a conversation and be able to slyly come in and steal away their desired trinket, whether it wore a horn or not.

She had no qualms about lying to a new arrival, leading them to the heart of the kingdom and leaving them sorely alone and lost in the middle of it all, especially if it meant she’d be digging barbs into the side of her enemies by doing so.

But it is another smell familiar to her that reaches her muzzle, one that takes a long while for her to absorb and recognize; when it does click within her, she completely halts all motion and stands with golden eyes white and glistening. That girl, from all that long while ago, deep purple with pale, smoky hair, and her delightfully strange way of communicating; how long ago had it been that she had run with her and Zima across the Valley?

It hadn’t been too very long after she’d come home from her wandering, that was sure, and she tenderly branches down the path that she believes the smell is arriving from, searching for nearly thirty whole minutes before discovering the girl lying in a crumpled pile on the forest floor. The Lady gasps and tuts, sweeping forward to gently press her muzzle against the girl’s throat to check for breath. With a sigh of aggravation, she realizes that she can’t recall her name, if she’d ever learned it at all, but she does vaguely remember that this is the child of the Thief, Faelene.

"Faelene?!" she calls after her golden crown rises swiftly, eyes searching the nearby area for the shape of their missing shadow walker, limbs striking out in a semicircle around the fallen child as she continues to call out, a part of her hoping that the dark mare will crash through the tree line, still alive and well and not devoured by darkness, "Faeleneeee! Are you out there?"

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

SNÖ</style>
  what did they aim for when they missed your heart?</style>

It was only natural that Snö should end up in the very forest that lead to the very edge of Helovia's lands. How many times had she made this very walk clinging to her mother's side as they slipped across the border to disappear only to return several months later and do the same thing over again? Her chestnut frosted tail slapped against her legs as she walked, her eyes taking in the sights of the forest and her ears the sounds. This time around Snö had no intention of slipping back across the border and disappearing. She had no intentions whatsoever other than wandering and isolating herself from everything because she found life was a lot easier when you remained unattached.

Her ears twitched as a voice rang out through the forest and had it not been for the fact that she recognized both the voice and the name she would have ignored it. The rate at which she moved through the forest remained unchanged even as her course altered in order to intercept the mare that was calling for 'Faelene'. She was almost a ghost, the leaves beneath her cloven hooves scarcely making noise as she approached and as she came upon the curious sight of the oddly colored foal and the boulder of a mare she stopped and took a moment to observe. More or less it was because she was trying to remember the names of both parties that she had found.

"Illynx." Snö spoke the mare's name. "You're rounder than usual." An ear tilted back as she took note of Illynx's pregnancy. Was it another one of her fathers bastard children in the mare's womb? The ice princess frowned then she looked at the child, deciding that she didn't particularly care if her father had decided to mount Illynx. It wouldn't be his first questionable decision and it wouldn't be his last. "Her name is Sielu, if you were wondering."

"Talk."

Credits
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
en natt så kall och månen den var klar
[ Snö is rather charming, y'know. ]

What business he had been on was his own. And what business he would go on, was also his own—because he had made it his own. It was nothing he needed to broadcast to the world, though some would know, and some would not, but that was nothing new. Mauja had always been mysterious, and kept his secrets close to heart.

Nor was it strange that he was there, in the Threshold. He'd come and gone a lot in his lifetime, a moonlit wraith drifting under dark skies. And it seemed that something always happened, when he came, be it monsters or otherwise; a quiet morning in the Threshold was nothing but a dream. The darkness lingered beneath the trees, trapped thick against the earth by the cover of clouds. They wept softly, and Mauja wondered who for as he returned to the land he always returned to. Irma gave a weak cry, but the other owl remained silent, gliding beside her, slipping through the patchwork of branches.

"Faelene?!"

The cry stopped him dead in his tracks, black-rimmed ears sweeping forward, a black flood of adrenaline roaring through his veins. He'd been hoping, and praying, to slip back in unnoticed, to find a new rhythm of things, and do all the other things he had to do, but those were dreams as distant as the stars. Helovia was, despite the good tries of many, not a peaceful place. And if Faelene was injured..? But no, the cries (he recognized the voice as Illynx's) went on, and Mauja's dark nostrils flared. He could not ignore it. He could not ignore his friend—friends?—just for the sake of his own future. There were limits on how selfish even he could allow himself to be.

So he honed in on the sound, frosted hooves hitting the solid ground at a fleet-footed trot, chipping roots and clacking against rocks. His heart was pounding, his mind spinning, but he hadn't the slightest clue what was going on. He just feared the worst; he always did.

Soon enough he saw Illynx through the trees, and heard the voice of the pale frosted chestnut mare—

"Her name is Sielu, if you were wondering."

And like the dead come back to life he burst through the barely leafed thickets, tall and majestic and crowned with white and frost; two owls alighted upon his scarred back, watched the scene with impassivity and curiosity. Sielu lay upon the ground, smoke stirring in the drizzle and eyes closed; Illynx's hooves had danced muddy gouges nearby. Mauja's blue eyes fled to the trees around them. No sign, no scent, of Faelene.

"Dætur," he breathed, the sound swallowed by the mist of his breath in the moist, cold air. His gaze slid across Snö, acknowledgment in their depths, before falling on Sielu, even as his hooves drew him closer. What had happened to her? Why was she lying here, all alone?

When had she grown up? Where had he been all along, fouling and breaking every promise he had made?

It hammered the coffin nails deeper into his heart, and silently he lowered his muzzle, and the walls of his mind, and touched his soft muzzle to her cold, wet shoulder.

Wake up.
Se dem brinna över verkan se dem dansa framför bål
Se dem mässa inför satan se dem smida sina stål
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Outcast
Angel

Your noise prevents sleep, it deludes the voices that lull me toward dozing. Scents come forward, drifting on an unfamiliar wind of pine and crisp snow. The mountains of a short childhood, lost in the swells of time. I had a fair memory of faces and voices, it aided in the recollection of essence that approached one by one. The male of which in particular caught attention enough for me to force one lid apart, revealing a hue of hazy ice. Gaze sharpened from its fuzzy state into one of awakening awareness as Illynx lowered her warm breath across my throat and Sno started speaking; some small slice from my active conscious told me that I’d come to know this elder girl—we had frolicked across the Basin. I trembled and tried to shift toward the familiar faces that were around me.

Da was near, his hot breath raked across my bare fur. Trembling came uncontrollably as I willed my untested muscles to come alive. Head slowly drifted from the mud, dripping; bewildered and trusting gaze landing upon him squarely. The weight of skull made this position tough work, nevertheless there was strength enough for muzzle to carry itself forward, desire beating out fatigue, and searching to press into warmth that seemed to radiate from his flesh like a torrent. He was real right? Da! The faint crease of a smile slipped the corners of lavender lips apart; pieces of dirt fell from where they so tightly clung to my fur in a wet mass. Silver tendrils reached out, concentrating on him alone, an embrace came with the touch—a warming tide of emotion that expressed the purest amounts of love and affection. Tears that better suited a child swelled in the rims of my eyes, “Da…da..daddy..”
credits

The first to come to her call draws her full attention swiftly and with hope burning brightly behind the worry and grace that compose the rest, and while the figure is not Faelene, she remains amused with the young woman that has come to answer her call, even if it is not the girl’s mother. Smiling in a sad sort of way that befits the situation, she responds the white youth with a name, as well, a name that she had not said in many a season and had, more often than once, wondered as to the validity of its meaning, whether or not the girl still lived. ”Sno," comes her soft voice, a giggle offered in response to the observation the once filly makes most immediately.

Psyche did not talk of her daughter or the girl’s father much, but Illynx was clever enough to piece the parts together; this was the child of the spotted once Lord of the snow, one of several children that had come from the loins of the Bane of the past. While she doesn’t approve of how the child came into existence or how her life was handled by either of her parents, she does feel love for her niece in ways that Illynx can feel such things, and it is pleasant to see her face, even in the darkness of the moment.

It’s not your father’s, she wants to say aloud, knowing the mother of the snowy child well enough to assume how her little brain works as well. She was young when the Empress and she had both disappeared into the wilds, perhaps not remembering the loyalty that the golden wench held in her heart for the dark queen of the Plague, and the words would have come across chidingly – even if Mauja was a fine male of fine lineage, he was off limits for the simple fact that he had taken a bite from the supple, forbidden fruit of her darling Psyche. That he had then taken the apple and tossed it away as if valueless to him was another matter all together.

She didn’t want to talk down to or of her lost family in this moment, and so her tongue was held. There would be time for explanations later.

’Her name is Sielu…’ she hears, then a secondary arrival rustling behind her that draws a single golden eye back and a slightly mocking smile to make way onto her lips. Was today a day of reunions? A great big, happy family all coming together again to help a little girl in distress, the lost Lord who had left and never returned suddenly appearing as if a ghost in the trees. She could snort in disdain of his arrival, but there is something so sad about the way he holds his entire being that she withholds all sound as if he is still a king to her.

"Mauja," she states, the remarkable appearance of the speckled ghost evident in her tones, "what a pleasant surprise."

She slips so easily into old habits; it drives her mad, makes her figurative fingers clench and bite into the soft heart of her palms. Her vengeance is played out upon the edges of her tongue, bruised and sore as it is clenched between white teeth and her mind ponders what words to add into the moment, golden eyes watching the first stirrings of the still and weak child with hopeful interest that disguise how badly she wants to kick Lord Mauja squarely in the jaw while embracing him in the knowledge that he had not died.

Poor Illynx, so complex and bitter, a wretched thing of jealousy, lust, and greed all bound together as one. If not for her love of what the two standing unicorns held in common she would dig into the cowardly stallion for leaving both she and her Empress in such a disparaging state that it had cost his lover both her station and most of her pride; if not for her memories, brought to life by a simple words. "I played with her once, when she was quite small," she begins, looking down at the girl with mistiness to her eyes, the presence of a child in her belly drawing such maternal sorrow from her as she looks upon the purple frame so weakly stirring in the brush.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

SNÖ</style>
  what did they aim for when they missed your heart?</style>

Snö remained quiet, passive, as Illynx spoke her name, still silently judging the pregnant mare even though she had tried to tell herself she didn't care. Mauja could screw whoever the hell he wanted to, sire as many children as he wanted. It wouldn't change the fact that he was a horrible father who was never around for his children. She had been young and foolish when she'd come running back to him and now that she was older she could see that she should have stayed with her mother. Mauja had scarcely been around, most of her time had been spent playing tag with Monster instead of learning from her father.

It was as if thinking about him had summoned the devil himself. Seeing him brought a frown to Snö's face and she snorted as he acknowledged both her and the younger girl as his daughters. "Faðir." She said, her voice as cold as the frost that iced her hooves. "So you sired another one." She had disliked Tamlin when he was born and still did dislike her brother because he had gotten close to Mauja in ways that she had wanted so desperately when she'd been young. He had been taught their father's native tongue when she'd only picked up words here and there by listening to them.

But she wouldn't dislike this filly because it wasn't the girl's fault that she had been conceived and born. She saw too much of herself in Sielu, only Sielu was older. Just like she had, Sielu had come back looking for Mauja, or so Snö assumed just as she assumed Illynx was carrying Mauja's child. "How much of her childhood were you absent for?" Snö asked suddenly, her tail slapping against her legs in agitation.

The varnished girl snorted, her ears laying back against her head as she stared at Mauja. How long ago had it been that she'd worshiped the ground her father walked on? It seemed forever ago. "You never were a good father. You don't even deserve to touch her." There was so much more that she wanted to say to Mauja about his perceived failures as a father, but the mare bit her tongue. "Instead of standing there over her you should get a healer who can actually do something for her." Snö cast a glance, then, at Illynx then turned and walked away from the gathering.

ooc:// uhm... i don't even know what snö's problem is.

"."

Credits
Ascended Helovian

He'd never been any good at this. He always broke everything he came near, smashing and shattering with all the blind elegance of a bull, bruising hearts with his thoughtlessness and keeping them raw and bloody with his random moments of care. If he only was the Frostheart idiot they called him, maybe they could let go—because there would be nothing but frigid distance to hold on to, a black, cold void stretching out beneath his skin and spanning everything that should be warm and red.

Nor had he ever borne failure well. He knew that he was awful; and having others point it out only ran the risk of provoking him into anger, because he was too weak to admit that he was stupid and lousy. "So you sired another one." "What a pleasant surprise." Their voices rose like a crescendo in his mind even as poor Sielu stirred under his touch. "I played with her once, when she was quite small." I never played enough with her. "How much of her childhood were you absent for?" Too much, too much. His gaze drifted from the fragile form of his daughter, and onto the bitter witch Snö had become. There was distance and pain in his eyes, but only silence in his mouth; he had no words, because what could he possibly say? I'm sorry? No words could make right everything he'd done wrong, and no mere words could ever change him, and all the things that were wrong within him. He just bore it quietly, broke a little more, listening to the shrill sound of fragmented ice shattering on a marble floor.

Snö walked away.
As she always did.
Always running from all the things she didn't want to see, or say; always running and Mauja never ran after, because if she left, what right did he have to bring her back? His ears flattened behind her back, but the look of pain remained. She'd grown bitter and distanced, cruel and sharp-tongued, and did she hide from all her mistakes by pushing them onto him, like he hid and pushed it onto the world?

Did she ever stop to think of the ways she had hurt him, too?

He hated what she had become, he hated what he'd made her, the bitterness and cynicism she'd inherited from him; she disgusted him and he pitied her, and he hated her—but she was his daughter, and he loved her, even if the futility of the emotion made him want to weep.

Snö had loved, once. A black, shaggy, dangerous ruffian of a unicorn and dog.

Would she ever learn to love again?

His pale eyes stared through the trees at where she had disappeared, that warrior angel with her blackened soul and dead heart. She had run from him, and she kept on running.

“Da…da..daddy..”

The weak voice belonged to his other daughter—the one who had inherited all of Faelene's sense, it seemed, even if she'd received Mauja's stupid, bull-headed inability to clearly see for herself what was good for her. If only he hadn't been so stupid that night—if only he and Faelene both had had some more sense—if only it hadn't been such a damn contrast between hot and cold, and his mind in shambles—then this neglected creature wouldn't lie by his feet, desperately and pitifully reaching for the one thing she thought could save her, when all he'd ever bring someone was pain.

But even for all of that, he could not wish her away. Just like he loved the wounded monster that was Snö, he loved the delicate, silent girl he barely knew at all.

"I'm here," he whispered, black nose pressed to her shoulder. She didn't seem injured. Just.. exhausted, and cold. His gaze came up to Illynx; for a moment, it bared all the pain and shame of his existence, before he blinked, and the level ice slipped back into place. "Are you hurt? We need to get you up, on your feet..."

His voice a mumble, his heart a mess.

Outcast
Angel

It was impossibly hard to grasp the position I found myself in. In truth, during a not so later time this would all feel like a dream, a reality that wasn’t actuality. But those problems would be handled momentarily—for now my struggling consciousness only tried to keep up with the rapid conversation.
The adults spoke over me, around me, obviously not understanding my rising bewilderment as they kept on talking and understanding of the situation lessened as memory sharpened from a hazy black into grey. Tri colored pools that lacked the maturity of years in this body darted toward the golden female, then back to the alabaster mare called Sno, who had taken this moment to start barking at da before finally stalking off into the forest. I didn’t comprehend the reason for her anger.

My tether was still firmly attached to da, his mind the stronghold in this surge of aimless bickering. He could surely feel confusion climb higher as gaze drifted slowly from the swaying frame that vanished from view to his clear crystals which seemed ever present in the shadows that grew, ever true in its securing of mindless trust. His voice a plush fervor that my earnest heart grew hospitable toward—for I knew nothing of adult grief or strain, jealously or the idea of betrayal, it only knew that I was the child in all this and my daddy was close by to rescue what had been damaged.

He spoke again, asking me something that I couldn’t honestly answer without first checking for myself. Wearily, head twisted with neck still bent toward his frame in an absentminded urge to remain in close contact. Eyes momentarily left their steady fortress in order to drift along the curve of my side and quarters—watching as limbs shifted on command, flimsy in their trembling but moving nevertheless. One lengthy forelimb uncurled gracelessly out from underneath and scrapped mud as I drew it up.

Feeling no direct pain, only numb cold I replied. “No. Not hurt.” There was a momentary waver in the connection between, I sighed, regaining control and adding, “Tired. Hungry.” Where was momma? Her warmth would hold nourishment, sweeter than the musky smelling grass that I’d hardly begun to eat when…

Feet shuffled, moving instinctively to pull my body from its pitiful position. I’d only made it halfway before realizing that the ground was much further than I’d come to remember it, the act of gazing down made the dizziness in my head spin ever tighter—and I slipped back into the mud one instant later with visible shock flooding forth, “Whaa?”
credits

Illynx watches what happens as Mauja emerges from the trees with quite a lot of interest. It’s not often she gets to watch other people scream and shout when she’s not really involved, and so she goes from one face to the other with her golden eyes wide and mouth slightly agape and bemusedly grinning as she watches the mayhem unfold.

All the hostility that had been pinned on her within the frosted girl’s eyes as she looked upon the wide berth of the Lady now turned savagely and with saliva rippling towards the ghost of the Frostheart, her first words not as bad as what came next but still sending a thrill through the golden bitch’s skin. The girl was so much her mother wearing all this hostility that it made Illynx quite proud, if only mildly horrified that her reunion with her lost niece had turned into this rather than the jovial chit chat she had wished for on the way to the Basin.

The thought that Sno would not come with her or that Sielu may not either hadn’t ever crossed her mind. Why wouldn’t they want to walk with her, after all?

While all this shouting is being cast at Mauja interspersed with some hurtful (albeit mostly true) commentary, he stands there like a moron gawping at his daughter with all that nothingness writ across his face that has earned him his name. It makes her want to reach over and smack him, to get him to say at least something before…

Before that happens, she thinks with a dismal frown, watching the daughter of the Empress storm off into the wilds after a parting glance to each of them.

Like nothing had happened or possibly because the silent way Sielu communicated had pulled his attention back to her (one can never tell what motive drove his actions, only that things tended to crash down around him) he tends to the weak child in the brush, probably because, like most men, it’s easier to deal with physical problems rather than one of the heart. She does not know if he looks at it that way. She does know that this daughter, at least, still loves him and believes he can help her.

His other child, however, believes he can do nothing.

He is doing nothing for her now.

"You should follow her, you know..." She knows it is a choice that he may not want to present him with, but Illynx is not the sort to give a shit if someone wants to hear the truth or not, and so she speaks it anyway. "It’s always this way for you, isn’t it? Having to chose between the things you are supposed to love again and again," she says with a casual roll of her eyes, concern still held within her for Sielu though a more pressing agitation prods her, "if only you didn’t sell yourself so cheap, you wouldn’t have so many directions to fly at once." She steps forward, her nose lowering again to assist the girl should she try to stand at her father’s urging, but she continues to glance at Mauja and speak to him.

"I can help you get her to the Basin, to see Lena," she offers, though she figures he’ll run away too once he hears the name of the place he’d abandoned, "she needs a healer."

Before he can even argue the point, she looks at him sternly, the first signs of her impending motherhood writ all across her face.

"No, she probably won’t die if she doesn’t go. But you owe it to her to protect her from whatever pain you can. Do not let her suffer for your comfort like you have everyone else," perhaps more arrogantly than is necessary she flips her eyes back down to the girl, "if you won’t take her I will manage it alone."

Ascended Helovian

The world keeps on shattering.

He found himself desperately wishing Illynx away—wishing her to the other side of the blasted world, for all her golden arrogance and smug enjoyment of his misery to go up in flames and leave him alone with whatever few pieces of his life he still had left. Darkness crept up on him, from every side, shadowy tendrils gently stroking his limbs before taking a hold, and climbing up his back, his neck, to his ears and eyes and mouth—

He was nearly choking, on nothing. On nothing but emotion, a rising tide of panic, anger, hurt, and frustration; it rose higher and higher, swallowing up every drop of oxygen trying to make it down his throat, and yet, for all of it, it didn't show. His dark nostrils widened, trying to gulp down more air to clear the black flood out of his lungs, and his ears hung sort of limply from his head, flopping out sideways as if composing them into any sort of pose required too much energy and thought. And Illynx, riding some sort of self-justified high, was practically gloating over the pit he'd dug himself his entire life. Standing there, far up above on the rim with a golden corona of light against the distant sky her words echoed down. As if it took a genius to realize he was drowning, and the only thing dragging him down was himself. As if he didn't know.

His eyes blackened uncharacteristically as she went on, the angry throb of his pulse demanding he make her shut up—but he curbed the impulse, crushed it under his hoof just like Sielu's pitiful looking-over-herself crushed his heart. This always seemed to happen, in some way or another; and this was just an uncommonly clear representation of what he did to those he claimed to love.

Fuck you, Illynx, his mind hissed, but somehow his grit teeth didn't let the words out; but he wanted to say them, to fling them at her face and batter himself against her until all his energy ran out and he fell weeping to the wet forest floor.

But that wouldn't help anyone. Least of all Sielu.

"It's alright," he began to murmur, relieved she was okay, unable to deal with Illynx's self-righteous tirade at the moment. Because the only thing he knew to answer it with was, Do you usually spend every waking moment in the presence of those you love wishing you were dead, so this endless cycle of failure and heartache would end?

Sielu fell back down into the mud, Mauja's dark muzzle trailing through the smoke over her sodden neck, breathing warmth against her cold, cold skin. "Try again," he whispered against her. "Illynx and I are here to help you, we need you to get up, to get you back to the Basin—do you remember Lena?"

And all the while the narrow strip of vision in his world grew thinner and thinner, the roaring, black void threatening to break him entirely.

Outcast
Angel

They squabbled about things that where beyond my control—about failures and self-pity. All emotions my young mind had yet to truly experience and thus didn’t even begin to understand. What was true and understandable, Da’s voice. Not the golden pelted woman who was rambling on rather rapidly while my head did multiple U-turns in an attempt to clear that fresh wave of haze. They both ended upon the note of urging me to rise, breath heaved out in a soundless sigh; a child’s naive belief that somehow these people would repair me. Daddy asked me a question, about someone in the Basin. My birthing home, this Lena raced through my mind and came back empty hoofed. "No. Don't know Lena."

At their request I obediently and perhaps ignorantly try again, this time actually pressing to lean toward Da as a sort of anchor before shifting off to Illynx when the blanket urge of staggering bewilderment threatened to send me reeling again on her side—with the likelihood that I’d lack strength for a third try if this attempt failed. Limbs trembled uncharacteristically, and not just from the damp cold that clung to my body like a sickness, but for lack of muscle strength. Limbs that hadn’t been used in nearly….

They hurt. Every part of me now screamed with an unholy fire that couldn’t be seen or touched by mortal eyes. The pain washed through my bond with Mauja, the emotion so vivid, one could almost say it had a noticeable color. Lips broke apart to scream a soundless cry as muddy knees locked upon themselves and with shaky effort held my lean frame up. It wasn’t noble or graceful but it was an upright position.

“Legs hurt.” I gasped to him, lowering my muzzle as the unfamiliar weight of crown strained my neck into a limp bend. “Head hurt.” Why did everything feel tight? Strained? I gazed at the ground with bewildered pain. They got me standing—but walking… “It burns.” I said again, weakly and pitifully evident in fear notes that I wouldn’t be able to do as they asked. My body trembled with effort. Unable to stop its shaking.
credits

& not to pull your halo down
around your neck and tug you to the ground, but...
She stares at him while she berates, watching for things that she know will not cross over into this plane of existence, knowing that whatever demons he held inside himself that had chased him from the Basin and his family would hide well behind the crisp blue of his eyes. It seems she gets in, a little bit, her daggers clinking against the dense ice that holds his soul from prying eyes, but one can never be sure with Mauja; it might have just been that his stomach was hurting today, or he had a headache, and that moment of all of them so far was ruthless and biting.

She doesn’t really care; there’s no being sure that he really knows how badly he’s messed up everything and she feels a deep obligation to defend her friend and the daughter born of their pairing. If Illynx could read minds (surely she desired it), and knew that he asked a question behind his empty mask, she would answer him:

Do not walk in circles.

But, for once, there are no further jabs arising to her lips, and so she lets him continue in his silence and the cover of his concern (however true it was) towards his ill child, to mark the meaning of her words but mostly to take care of the girl who is now attempting to rise. Concern marks her face, never having found one so emaciated and weak in the Threshold before; most at least had the strength to rise, to make it somewhere. Sielu seemingly had nothing left, and it causes a fluttering race of worry to rustle through her dark heart, the foal within her kicking sharply against her ribs.

Remain calm, she reminds herself as she quickly steps alongside the girl and presses her shoulder towards her, looking to Mauja swiftly and dark lips snappishly demanding he do the same. "Brace her," she quips, "she cannot walk." Her added remark is one that arrives only from the mouth of such a pretentious bitch as herself, for the Frostheart is surely smart enough to arrive to such conclusions on his own.

Nodding to Mauja as she takes her first step forward to motion he do the same, she wears a bleak expression across her normally effervescent face, pondering what to do about a girl who cannot stand on her own much less travel the distance through the hard mountains. It leaves her with only one option, one she is loathe to approach because of the agreement she had made with Midas and his horned cohort Seele, but it seems the more viable option than killing the girl pressed between them for the sake of her pride.

"It seems wiser to not press her so far north," she says, glancing over to him from a down trodden golden eye, ”but the Hidden Falls is close. I can smell Midas from here." A scant smile races for a fleeting moment across her lips as she returns her eyes forward, carefully placing her hooves so as not to jostle Sielu and thus disturb her disgruntled, womb bound foal.

It writhed and kicked. Surely Sielu might feel the movements, if she was conscious enough too; it made Illynx quite self conscious to have moving guts. Nervous, even, an odd feeling, but she reminds herself that this is quite a stressful situation for one as broad and miserable as she is to be facing.

[ OOC: To the Fallsssss ~ ]

I'm more than a little curious how
you are planning to go about making your amends to the dead
with your halo slipping down, your halo slipping, your halo slipping down
slipping down to choke you now.

image by candy<3