[PRIVATE] my shangri-la

Vadim Posts: 106
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Vlasi :: Common Rougarou :: Water ali

VADIM         

all i see turns to brown as the sun burns the ground
and my eyes fill with sand as i scan this wasted land

Vadim thinks this whole ... being bonded to something is weird and its probably because he's spent so much time alone. Just knowing that part of his soul has been fused with another living being is frightening and so he chooses to try not to think about it so much, but sometimes he can't help it. He certainly didn't mean for it to happen, he'd only been curious about the egg when he found it. The young stallion had every intention of leaving it when the mother came back, but she never did. And when it hatched it latched onto him and had been ever since. Everyday was an exercise of his patience with the young creature and everyday was a learning experience for the pair of them.

He thinks his companion is very, very strange, though. He don't know if its male or female, but he assumes that Vlasi is a girl because she is temperamental. He doesn't know what it even is, really, because its always changing its appearance. When it hatched it was, what Nayati called, a platypus but it hadn't stayed that shape for very long. Then when he was on the beach it was a pelican and a seagull. It pooped on his head, too, which wouldn't have been as embarrassing had there not been mares present when it had happened. He thinks more and more that being bonded is more work than anyone might have ever thought it was.

At the present moment Vadim stands in the in the center of the Heavenly Field and is watching his companion as it prances through the field. Vlasi is in a new shape, but it is a shape that is a common sight in Helovia. Elk are in abundance in the fields and meadows. Had Vadim not been bonded to this particular creature he would have assumed it to be just another run of the mill elk, but this one is his companion. This one is different. This one makes him wonder just how many of Helovia's creatures are as they seem.

Vlasi continues to prance through the tall grass and flowers and as she does so Vadim begins to graze. Even though Vlasi confuses him and causes him embarrassment sometimes he is glad that she came into his life. He is glad that he is not alone anymore. Sometimes he wishes it were his family that had eased his loneliness, but then he thinks that Vlasi wouldn't treat him the way his family had and she wouldn't think he was weird.

"Talk."

@[Ophelia]

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
OPHELIA
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget

Ophelia noticed that the world had changed, but instead of venturing into the land she had once ruled, she decided to climb higher. The view from the Fields on top of the mountain were always so beautiful, and she found that she could see the entire herd from among the clouds. Cloven hooves carried her easily and without misstep as she climbed up the side of the mountain in the dawning light. Tinek flew overhead, languidly rocking back and forth on the thermals. She smiled. Roskuld was still on her mind, but the peace ebbed and flowed like the tides. Right now, it was night in her soul, high tide, full peace.

Once she made it up to the top of the mountain, she looked down and was surprised to see that the Foothills was now falls. A long, series of waterfalls made an almost tropical biome cascade beneath where she stood. In fact, she was surprised that she did not hear the crashing, but her altitude was too great. What had happened to the foothills then? Was Archibald still there? She knew now that Lakota and Ktulu were not, so who lived in the green spaces nestled in the blue corridors.

The soft sound of crunching steps caught her attention, and a flick of an ear preceded the turning of her head. White and crimson hair caught in the wind as she narrowed her dual colored eyes, watching an elk carry on in the clover. Curious behavior for an elk - also not like them to travel alone? Something else caught her attention then, and Tinek's eyes helped her identify him. Ophelia smiled in a humorless way as she recognized her younger brother, Vadim.

Phi walked closer, not able to let this situation pass. Tinek spied the elk curiously, not sure what to make of the creature. She approached her brother, letting out a short call to let him know that she was near. "Vadim," she said quietly. "I have not seen you since you met my nephew, Hototo and I still lead the Foothills." He had been alone then, and rather contrite. Before she had had a chance to give him a home though, situations had called her attention and life must have called his. "How are you?"

Image by Twistyh-stock @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

VADIM         

"Vadim."

He is instantly on alert when he hears his name, and the sudden change in him causes Vlasi to stop prancing and turn to look at her bonded. Vadim's head raises and he turns to look at his sister, brow furrowing as he wonders why she even speaks his name. He remembers the last time he saw her even as she speaks of it. He remembers feeling like she didn't want him in the Foothills. Maybe she didn't. He hadn't made the best first impression on her when he had been a foal and was trying his hardest to prank everyone. He was a far cry from the colt he had been only three short years ago. His head turns as he feels a body brush against his side and it is Vlasi, staring at his sister and the dragon she has bonded to. The look on her face says that she is unafraid of the dragon and the mare but is concerned for the well being of her bonded. Her dark nose touches his neck and his gaze returns to his crimson and white sister.

She asks how he is and Vadim wonders if she even cares to know the answer or if she is asking out of formality. She had never before taken any real interest in her younger brother, even when he had been a foal trying so hard to fit in with his brother and make his brother proud of him. His blue tipped tail twitched and he sighs as Vlasi peers at him with her dark eyes, waiting for him to answer. "Fine." He answers Ophelia's question with his gravelly voice. "I don't know if she even cares, Vlasi." He looks to his companion and she stares hard at Ophelia. "Family is a strange thing."

"You?" He finally asks, deciding that even if Ophelia's interest in him was feigned and her question of his well being was out of formality he would still accept it. His eyes shift to the dragon and he watches it for a moment. "His name?"

"Talk."

@[Ophelia]

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA

Ophelia watched her brother's change and the way he lifted his head, but what was curious was that the elk did not turn to look at her, the speaker, but at him. The white mare's keen eyes took in the scene, orbs narrowing ever so slightly as she watched the two of them. When the elk approaches, brushing sides with her brother (who is now much larger and thicker than he was before), her curiosity was confirmed. The puzzle was complete. He was bonded to an elk of some sort.

She was not one to hold ill will, so as she faced her family now, she did so with an emptiness that for her, was good. The vial that held her memories of Vadim had been pushed on a back shelf, and now she had opened a new one, free to make new connections and new impressions. Ophelia listened to the one-word response, devoid of any emotion, and she raised a brow. She had remembered him as odd, but mostly as the follower of Varath.

Now, he was alone, and he was still odd. Granted, that was much like the pot calling the kettle black, but...

When he asked in return, she gazed at him for a moment. Dealing with family held a certain difficulty in conversion. Honesty was a burden, even though people always begged for the truth. Still, he was her brother. How could she expect him to be open if she was not? "Getting... better," she hummed, a slight frown on her lips. "I cannot find my daughter. Though, perhaps, if she has a new family, that would be for the best."

She followed his gaze to her dragon, and smiled softly. "Tinek," she replied, glancing in Vadim's direction again. "Yours?" she asked, talking about the deer.

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

VADIM         

Vadim frowns at Ophelia's answer, part of him curious about what had happened that she was 'getting better' then decided that she had to be talking about the darkness. It had been a terrible time for everyone involved, but for him it was a blessing in disguise. In being thrust underground with the whole of Helovia he'd found Vlasi's egg and had ended his isolation. There is surprise written on his face when his sister states that she is looking for her daughter. He has a niece that he knows nothing about, just like he had a nephew that he knew and still knows nothing about. "Her name?" He asks, unable to fight back his curiosity.

His eyes narrow ever so slightly as Ophelia says it may be best if her daughter has a new family. "Why?" He wants to know her reasoning for the statement. He wants to know what it is about their family that she dislikes so. Most of all he wants to know if she feels the same way that he feels. Outcasted. Unwanted. A sound similar to a whine comes from Vlasi's throat and her body contorts and begins to shrink until she resembles a small feline. She moves and curls her body around Vadim's foreleg and a small smile pulls at the corners of his mouth as she does so.

"Vlasi." He answers his sister's question. "Her name is Vlasi." He still doesn't know for sure what Vlasi's gender is, but he's decided that she is female. "She changes a lot. I don't know what she is." As he continues to speak his voice begins to lose its rough edge and becomes smooth. Words come easier and he finds that he kind of enjoys speaking to his sibling about his companion. "How old is Tinek?"

"."

@[Ophelia]

Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA

Ophelia relaxed in her stance, watching her younger brother curiously. Without the devious Varath at his shoulder, he seemed much more controlled and reserved. Perhaps he had always lived in his darker twin's shadow and she had never noticed. Vadim asked appropriate question that showed interest, but he was also not pushy, which she appreciated very much. "Roskuld," she murmured with an affectionate sadness, a longing more sorrowful than the lonely cry of a wolf. The white mare frowns at his 'why' and looks away, unable to make eye contact as she speaks her guilt.

"Because I am a poor excuse for a mother," she said quietly. Once she was weaned, I let her go out on her own and then left the herd. I did not realize until too late that she would not have been able to find me. Better, perhaps, that she find a stable family, a consistent mother." Verbalizing her sin was not easy. Admitting fault was not the problem, as she knew she had many - more than most. Admitting aloud that she had abandoned her daughter though made it all the more real, not just something she hated herself about in her own mind.

Ophelia watched as the elk suddenly shifted, her eyes widening and betraying her awe. He was in possession of a shape-shifter, an incredibly powerful creature. She had nightmares about these creatures, and here was one, curling itself around her brother. The white mare suddenly lifted her gaze to his once more, blinking her strange, dual colored eyes. "She is...incredibly unique, powerful," Ophelia complimented, looking at her again. "Can you hear her thoughts, her feelings?" Was the bond the same then? Even with one who held no true form of their own?

Tinek, interested, landed nearby, his weight and bulk depressing the grass underneath his claws. Once, he was a little flying fish, but now, he is more like a cannon. The dragon approached the feline, just as confused about how it was just an elk. Hearing his name spoken, the dragon looked up at the boy, Ophelia's brother and sat, listening with curiosity.

"He is just over a year old," she replied. "Our sister, Ktulu, earned him for me from a riddle-giving river woman. Now, I cannot imagine my life without him. He is a part of my every thought and feeling." Ophelia smiled sweetly at her dragon, making eye contact with his tender, crimson eyes. "He seems to be very interested in Vlasi. How old is she?"

VADIM         

He only listens as his sister speaks the name of her daughter then proceeds to answer the question he had posed to her moments before. He doesn't understand why she would think her daughter would be better off with a different family. Even with as screwed up as their family is he doesn't think he would be any better off, but maybe that was his lack of self confidence that was leading him to believe that. He is confused at her reasoning because he and Varath had left their parents shortly after being weaned and their parents had not stayed in the same herd. "Mother did the same thing." He finally points out, brow furrowing as he stares at his sister in confusion. "You don't want to be like mother?" He did not spend a lot of time with their mother after leaving the nest, but he still loves her and thinks she is the best.

He takes note of Ophelia's reaction as Valsi changes her shape. He thinks that the look on her face must have mirrored the look on his the first time he saw Vlasi change. Vadim is not sure if Ophelia is correct about Vlasi being powerful because she has only demonstrated her ability to defecate on individuals that annoy her. Like himself. "No." He answers when he is asked if he can hear her thoughts. The idea of hearing her thoughts, of her living more intimately inside his head is rather frightening to the young stallion. "Her feelings, yes." He answers and looks down as his sister's dragon lands in the grass.

Vlasi lifts her head and looks at the dragon who now sits and listens to his bonded speak of how she acquired him. Slowly, the white feline uncurls her fluffy body from around Vadim's leg and inches toward Tinek. Her body is kept in a crouch and when she is close enough she stops and stares hard at the large reptile. One paw is lifted and she slowly reaches toward him, her confidence increasing with each passing second. She stretches and taps at the dragon's nose then turns and scurries to hide behind Vadim's right foreleg. She is still for a moment then peeks her head out, blinking brilliant emerald eyes at Tinek.

Vadim's head tilts when Ophelia says his other sister's name, remembering only that Varath said she looked like their father and that he didn't like her. He thinks that if she is willing to give away such an extraordinary creature that she can't be as bad as Varath had claimed her to be."What is she like?" He blurts out his question at the same time Ophelia asks Vlasi's age. "One season." He answers. "I found her in the caves when the world went dark."

"."

@[Ophelia]
ooc:// -gentle nudge-

Credits

Icon by Tay

ali Posts: 22
OOC Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 5'4 :: 28
ali
this thread is ongoing, please do not archive
Ascended Helovian

OPHELIA

Vadim's words caught her completely off guard, and she had to stop to consider what he was saying. Had she done with Soleil had done with her and the boys? Ophelia's brows furrowed over her eyes for a moment, and she paused. Soleil had always been where her father was though, and he could be found in any free herd with an active military. When he had not joined the Grey and mother had, she was only partially surprised. Paladin was a fighter for rights and freedom, not worldly possessions; he was honorable in that way.

"Maybe..." she trailed quietly. "But I always knew where mother was, in a way. If she was not with father, she was somewhere nearby, and if I needed her I knew where to look," she said quietly. "If I had been more like mother, more predictable, then perhaps I would be a better parent. When I left, I went north, into the mountains. I am sure no one knew to look for me there..." she trailed, frowning. And even if they did, the odds of finding her in the snowfields and caves were slim.

Ophelia nodded when he explained about his interesting, shifting companion. "One day, she could possibly learn our language and speak with you in your head," she said quietly, smiling. "Tinek learned rather quickly, and now we speak comfortably, though he still struggles some with the intricacies of grammar."

Tinek watched as the white cat-deer-thing approached, paw outstretched toward his spiny nose. The dragon frowned, face grim. He had grown wiser and harder over the years with Ophelia. So when the paw reaches out and touches his face, he blinks, red eyes narrowing slightly when she ran away. But, this was an interesting creature he respected, so Tinek stood tall, watching. This companion needed to learn to be a better protector. Tinek stood on four legs, jumping to the side of Vadim and using his tail to balance before taking off into the sky.

Phi smiles. "I love Ktulu," she said. "She is powerful, strong, compassionate, and everything that I am not," she murmured quietly. "She has captured the heart of the God of the Earth and the heart of Midas, a strong leader. We are all the other has, really, but she is much better at being an asset to those around her."

Ah, so the companion was still young. Ophelia nodded. "Be with her when she grows," she suggested kindly. "One day, her voice will be so strong within your soul that you cannot imagine being whole without her there, and as scary as that thought may be now, you'll realize how beautiful it is to not have to be alone anymore."