the Rift

overboard

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
 aylin

live your life just like a dream without the pain of goodbyes

Her steps were quiet as she tiptoed back into the threshold's forest. More than anything the girl wanted to go unnoticed, to slip back into Helovia without anyone being any the wiser to her return. Her nervousness was unwarranted, and she knew it, but it didn't make her any less nervous about coming back to her homeland. Part of her felt like she didn't deserve to be back because she always found an excuse to leave, but she always came back. Helovia was like a shining beacon and she was drawn back to it like a moth was to a flame. She had friends here, like Mirage (whom she felt was disappointed in her and had every right to be) and Knox and as far as she knew her siblings were still here. Aswane was grown now and was no longer her responsibility, though she'd never taken exceptional care of her sister.

Aylin flinched as a twig snapped under her hoof and echoed through the quietness of the forest. She froze, ears tilted forward as she listened until the echo died away. Whatever birds had been chirping before had grown silent and she could feel them watching her. The noisy girl that was running away from Helovia more often than not. The unicorn looked upward, green eyes blinking as she finally took notice of the darkening sky. In the distance thunder rumbled and as the wind lifted her pale mane from her dark neck she knew that there was a storm brewing. How fitting that it would storm on the day she decided to return to Helovia.

The thought had only just crossed her mind when a raindrop landed on her muzzle. She snorted quietly then continued forward, deciding that maybe the rain wouldn't be a bad thing as thunder rumbled again. The noise that came with a thunderstorm would cover any noise that she made and maybe she could slip in unnoticed and not be bothered with anyone wanting to recruit her for their herds. She wasn't good for herds, she thought, because she always ended up running away and letting everyone down.

ooc:// open to anyone :D

"Speak."

Credits

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
there's a monster living under my bed
whispering in my ear
there's an angel, with a hand on my head

she says I've got nothing to fear

If nothing else, I felt a particular affinity for trees. Those in the Threshold towered older, taller, darker in places than the new growth of the World’s Edge. They offered better respite from the threat of rain far above, where throaty anger rumbled in the mixing of dark clouds. I envied no stranger lost in the forest under such a storm; many past acquaintances feared the noise of thunder, the sudden stab of lightning. Fitting fears for soldiers, of course… I regarded the overcast heavens with mild curiosity, my stride long. No fear of weather or the unknown shadows of the no-man’s-land touched my mind. I had no reason for either such thing.

Instead, I gazed between the trees with curiosity. Scouting members brought me no joy, but the idea of being useful did, at least, ease the old burden of guilt in the back of my mind. Work left no room for idle thought… so I always chose work, when I could. No figure met my eyes, though, and only the distant smells of strangers lingered on the tree bark, nearly swallowed by the swollen dampness of the air. A drop of rain landed cold in my ear; I started, cloven hooves clutching at the loamy earth, and a sound quite beyond my own hooves echoed elsewhere between the trees. My attention turned that way, keenly, and without further thought I followed the sound.

She met my eyes sooner than expected: a unicorn nearing my own size, black, crowned in pale silver falls of hair. I paused, voice breaking from my chest in what felt a terribly familiar attempt at kindness. “Hello.” Something in her movements kept me back – some nervous tension, slipping along from one tiptoe step to the next. Did she fear some tangible threat, or was she merely nervous? “I mean you no harm…” I promised, and moved forward quietly, my long tail trailing behind. “My name is Ruske. Welcome to Helovia.” How practiced I sounded… nearly genteel. I paused yet several strides away from her and observed, eyes running down the pearly length of her horn, the matte black of her hide. She painted a lovely picture, for one so timid – or perhaps that explained the timidity.

Hidden Account
ali
 aylin

His sudden appearance and voice startled Aylin and made the young mare scuttle back several steps before stopping. Her head was up, nostrils flared, and eyes wide as she stared at the stallion. Even as he said that he meant her no harm the tension didn't leave her rigid muscles. This was what she had hoped to avoid, a run in with someone recruiting for one of the herds. She'd assumed that the thunder of the coming storm would disguise any noise she made, but it had hidden the sound of his hoof falls from her ears and had allowed him to come unnoticed.

Aylin watched him as he stepped forward, every muscle in her body screaming at her to take a step back to maintain the distance between them. Had Ruske not startled her initially by his arrival she might have been more welcoming, but instead she was timid and almost fearful. Instinct told her that only bad men claimed to mean no harm when they, in fact, did. A gust of wind blew her hair back, not even allowing her to hide her face behind her forelock.

"Hello." She finally forced the words from her mouth. He spoke his name and welcomed her to Helovia, but it wasn't her first time crossing through the very forest they were standing in. "I'm Aylin. This isn't my first time here, actually." She shifted her weight, uncomfortable with the way he was looking at her and wishing that she could disappear into the shadows that the trees cast over them. "I ...um." She stuttered then remained quiet, her green eyes looking past Ruske to the forest behind him.

"."

Credits

Unregistered
whispering in my ear

She stood poised as if prepared to run. I halted my advance, eying the dark mare with wary eyes. What made her so fearful? I saw no blemish on her skin that spoke to violence – only smooth darkness, and the strange pattern of white stretching over her face like a mask. With her head lifted, the pattern resembled nothing more than broken streaks of color; I paid it less attention than the viridian gleam of her eyes, dark and wild to match the forest.

They recalled to mind another mare who had once walked beneath trees – not these.

As Aylin introduced herself I bowed my head, uncertain of the best way to appear non-threatening. I looked no better than half-wild on my best day – what might I look like to her? No way to tell. I merely held my head low and watched her, wary of the pointed horn gleaming above her brow. I hoped her too anxious to use it – wanting no more perforations in my skin than past adventures had won me.

"Aylin is a pretty name," I answered slowly. My ears twitched as I processed the next information – so she knew Helovia? A bit deflated, I blinked at the surrounding trees. "Are you looking for someone? Perhaps I might help you find them." Memories stirred in the back of my mind – old conversation. Two sets of twins. She had green eyes.

But one can hardly out and ask such a question.

With a soft snort, I glanced back at the mare. "Your mother, perhaps?" The question wrenched a little strangled from my chest, uncertain – unhappy. But I had lost practice at diplomacy, a skill never well-honed. Unwanted, obviously perceived as little more than threat, I grasped hastily at whatever connection floated through my head.

Hidden Account
ali
 aylin

He seemed as though he were trying to make himself look smaller and less intimidating and so Aylin began to let her muscles relax. "Thank you." She said quietly when he complimented her name. He was on to his next question and offering her to help find whoever it was she was looking for. Her head lowered and she stared, bewildered, because it was the first time she'd returned to Helovia and wasn't searching for someone. She'd decided as she'd traveled that if her siblings wanted to be found then she'd find them. And if her parents wanted to be found then she'd find them. The only thing searching had ever done was cause her sadness when she didn't find what it was she was looking for.

"No..." Her voice trailed off and she was left staring again when he suggested that maybe she was looking for her mother. The mere suggestion made her heart thump heavily in her chest and she frowned, head tilting ever so slightly. "Wh.. what? Why do you say that?" Her voice cracked as she questioned his reasons for asking if she were looking for her mother.

Thunder rumbled again and the soft patter of rainfall followed shortly after, but Aylin remained rooted to the spot she was standing, emerald eyes not hiding the bewilderment she felt. "Do you know her?" Part of her hoped that he knew Evangeline and part of her hoped that he didn't because she was scared to finally be face to face with her mother again. She had strove all of her life to be someone that her mother could be proud of and she didn't feel like she had reached that point in her life yet. She wasn't ready yet. She just wasn't.

"."

Credits

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"aurelia talk" "faeanne talk"

I have a whole bunch of stuff to think about. Things from foals to my ever-changing kiddy crushes, and even to the fact that I want the position of World's Edge Seer. My foals are beautiful and healthy, for the most part. Fae tells me she gets dizzy when she exercises a lot, and I can't help but notice Ryuu wince as he puts weight on his hooves. Have I birthed foals that are unhealthy? Yea. They are sweet and innocent, but my loins have made them unhealthy. Why should innocent foals have to be injured straight after they are conceived? It's unfair to them... this, I know, but there isn't anything to do about it, but kill them. WHICH I'M OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING TO DO. My kiddy crushes... well, maybe I'll grow out of that, maybe I won't. I do not really know, and only time will tell. The position I want... I really want. I wanted to be the Seer for the Dragon's Throat, but Africa got that position. Now, I want to be the Seer for the Edge, and hopefully I can be. Maybe a little extra effort will help me get there?

Then, I hear thunder snap. Or a twig? Or both, maybe? So, as quickly as possible I trot towards the sound. I jump out from the shadows and see a mare there. This mare must have broken the twig? I smile with joy. Maybe I'll make a new friend today? She is not alone. Ruske is with her, so I think he's got this covered. I mean.. I've already burst onto the scene. Maybe I should stay and mingle some? "I wouldn't mind helping you find her." I pause for a moment before introducing myself. "I'm Aurelia... I live in the same herd as Ruske." I smile at the stallion and bow my head respectively. Now that I think about it, he's actually a handsome stallion.

Should I give the pretty girl and handsome stallion some alone time? Yes. Who knows, maybe in a week she'll be heavy with foal than Ruske will disappear and her foals will die... That's how Helovian relationships usually go, right? It's not like I can't see the pain on horses' faces when they see little Faeanne and Ryuu. The moment I think about her again, she shows up. Little Fae is here now. The joins my side after crawling out of the shadows behind me. How long has she been following me? "Uh, this is... Faeanne." I try to mask the shock in my voice. "She is my daughter." She looks at Aylin with huge, adorable eyes. "You are so pretty!" This compliment is directed to Aylin, but after she says it, I step in front of her in a protective way. I do not know this mare, and until I do... I can't trust her around my children.

My attempt at blocking Faeanne from this fails. The girl dances around me and shuffle towards the pair. She tries to rub her small muzzle against Ruske's right shoulder in what could either be a greeting or some weird way of a foal trying to express herself... I don't know. She's heard me say he's in my herd, but Faeanne won't be in the Edge for long. I hope to move her to the Throat soon. "Sorry, she's really expressive."I smile softly at her and the older mare and stallion.

ooc:; Aurelia here is offering Aylin a possible home in the World's Edge! :D

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Unregistered
whispering in my ear

Relief eddied through my thoughts as Aylin began to relax. I wondered for the first time if youth provided an answer for her anxious temperament. Though if she had been gone long, alone and young… slowly my ears rotated back. Why involve myself at all in such a sad story? But I read Evangeline in her eyes, in the fine sculpture of her face. Of course I had called her beautiful, at first…

Unfortunately, my manners lay far behind me, and my chosen method of opening conversation startled her – as it should, I supposed. Who was I, to ask such a question? Evangeline had no reason to tell her children of me, some long-ago friend, easily forgotten… But I gritted my teeth, wondering if, for all the joy she greeted me with, for all she ever spoke of looking for me… A tangled mess, and too much to lay at this girl’s feet.

”I apologize,” I began, but a moment later some commotion drew my ears: a pale shape bursting from the darkness, eager and feckless as any daft child had ever been. Yet it was not a child, at all – or a predator. I snorted as I recognized Aurelia, my eyes sliding with some disdain across her shape. ”Aurelia!” The word burst from my chest in surprise, consternation. ”What are you doing, creeping in the shadows like some wolf?” I snorted, muscles drawn taut under my skin, and sidled a bit closer to Aylin. At the same time I threw the dark mare a concerned look, afraid to find her bolting, scared away at last by the combined commotion and heedless actions of my daft herd mate. For a long moment I frowned at Aurelia, my surprise giving way to irritation, never mollified by the sweet (if foolish) noise of her words. I could not read the look she gave me, but returned it coldly nonetheless, about to address Aylin once more when yet more noise cracked in the bush behind the winged mare.

Faeanne she called the creature. One of my ears tweaked back at the sight of the filly – young, very young. The other ear tipped back to join it. Momentarily I forgot my embarrassment, and drawing up to my full height, gazed down the length of my nose at Aurelia. ”Why are you treating the child that way?” She seemed almost… embarrassed? I gave the little creature a brief glance as it tottered up to me, rubbing my shoulder with a fragile nose. ”She ought to be safe at home,” I rumbled, still watching the girl, ”Rather than dragged across all creation to serve whatever foolish whim of yours… Have you any idea how easily a foal can catch ill? In a place filled with strangers – have you no sense?” I snorted, tossing my head in a flurry of dark hair. Previous conversation nearly forgotten – but she had interrupted it all, and why? Did I look so incapable of gathering herd mates on my own? Were there not others?

Something in the tenor of my voice excited a cough; I paused a moment, lungs barking, and in that time regained a little of myself and the present situation. Concerns about the young foal aside, I had committed myself to approaching Aylin, and owed her at least most of my attention – and more tact, in perfect honesty. ”I hope we have not startled you too badly,” I muttered, wondering how best to breach the previous subject again – that Evangeline, as well, lived in the World’s Edge. That it seemed important, if they were related, as I supposed… ”There is a mare among our herd… you look much like her. Evangeline?”

[ Er... please don't be too put off by extremely grumpy Ruske >.>' ]

Hidden Account
ali
 aylin

The suddenness with which Aurelia burst into the scene had Aylin skittering backward, wide-eyed and panic stricken. Had Ruske's voice not rang out with a name the girl would have turn and tore off into the forest, desperate to leave behind the stallion and whoever had thought it wise to come crashing through the forest in such a manner. Didn't anyone practice any sort of caution anymore? She snorted, her eyes focusing on the winged mare and she felt a twinge of annoyance at her foolishness. Shortly after another small figure crawled forward and Aylin cocked an ear back, eyes narrowing at the dismissive manner in which Aurelia introduced her daughter to them.

"Thank you." Her voice was soft and nearly lost under Ruske's tirade. "You are, too." She became silent as Ruske continued to scold the other mare for the lack of care she seemed to display when it came to the young filly. She was tempted, while Ruske continued to fuss, to slip away into the forest. She even started to step back, but then his attention was on her and her retreat stopped.

Aylin made no effort to comment on his remark about startling her because both him and the pegasus had startled her. They had successfully ended a quiet reentry into Helovia and she found it the slightest bit annoying. Things never did seem to go the way she wanted, though.

"”There is a mare among our herd… you look much like her. Evangeline?”

"Mom?" She could hardly believe her ears and that much was apparent on her face. "She's here?" It almost felt like she had been kicked in the gut. "My dad, too?" She'd come and gone in and out of Helovia trying to find them and they'd been here. At least her mother was, but if she was here then her father had to be here, too. Right? And Cyrus? And her sisters?

"."

Credits

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"aurelia talk" "faeanne talk"

I a suprised, no.. shocked. Why is Ruske going batshit? I did not mean to piss him off. Quite honestly, I didn't know that the mellow stallion I met while with Alysanne and Kahlua was even capable of being so harsh. Can he not remember that I am only two? Surely he must understand that being a two year old-- no, any year old means that one will be reckless sometimes. Has he never done something foolish? I believe it is almost impossible to do everything correctly 100% of the time.

”What are you doing, creeping in the shadows like some wolf?” After he shouts my name at me, he begins his lecture. I lower my head softly, like a dog being scolded by it's master. Am I a bitch tethered to a beacon of self confidence? Surely, he knows I am not one to boss around. Well, maybe he doesn't. After all, I am in this rather submissive stance. It's almost as if I have gotten use to this submissive stance.

But I have gotten used to it. I was born with it.

In my mind, the walls are crumbling and chains being snapped. No, I am not 'releasing the beast'. I am releasing the loneliness and sadness I've felt over my entire life. I am not compatible with anyone. I am not close to anyone and everyone I meet gets made at me at one point or another. "I'm sorry." I pause for a moment and my gaze drops to the ground. "I'll try to be the sheep next time, I promise." I am not very mature. I am two years old. My mind hasn't matured completely. My body, however, is a few steps ahead of my mind, which is how I ended up with my foal.

When my foal enters, I am surprised, not dismissive. ”She ought to be safe at home,” My head rises from it's submissive post. ”Rather than dragged across all creation to serve whatever foolish whim of yours…" My ears pin back, and even my little Faeanne thinks Ruske should shut up. How dare he talk to me like that? How many foals has he squeezed out?! NONE, BECAUSE HE'S A STALLION. have you no sense?”

Instantly, rage boils in me. I toss my wings open. With a large swoop, the pearly white feathers are fully extended. Slowly, I let an orange flame build from my wing tips and devour my entire body. "If you're such a good mom, you can fucking take care of her!" I'm not talking, I'm screaming at him. My voice is so loud. So loud, I didn't even know that I could become that loud. Faeanne stands there, confused. Maybe she doesn't understand what I am saying, but she gets the idea when I start trotting away.

The girl tries to follow, but I've already started flapping my wings and am flying away. I look down for a mere second and she is standing there, awestruck. Did she even know those with wings could fly?

The flame that engulfs my body dies away upon my command and I disappear into the night sky. From Mom, to Phoenix, to shooting star.. today's adventure ends with me as a simple pegasus.

I watch her fly away, but I cannot reach her. No matter how high I try to jump, I can't seem to get high enough. I am for the moon, so I know I'll at least land in the stars, where my mother flies, but I can't even reach the tree tops. My Momma had flapped her wings, maybe I need to do that. Of course, I attempt to do so, and all that happens is normal. The undersides of my wings are set on fire (a magic that must have been inherited by my phoenix-like Momma). My knees buckle and I lay down. I start sobbing uncontrollably for a minute or two.

Why has my mother left me?

ooc:; o_o so aurelia ditched faeanne after getting pissed with Ruske. Faeanne does not hear what Ruske says to Aylin, or Aylin's reply, for she is sobbing. ;-; Ruske and Aylin can leave her, take her, do whatever. I only did this because Riv has been busy, and Faeanne needed to get out now. xDD So sorry <333 This was just the PERFECT opportunity. Don't feel obligated to take care of Faeanne. I can find someone else for her. :3

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Unregistered
whispering in my ear

I will admit to a small degree of guilt which, once born, wormed deeper into my mind the longer I yelled. She stood cowed, head lowered, but I truly doubted any understanding -- which I tried so desperately to impart. Foals born to those so young of age suffered too often from the inexperience, the recklessness… I snorted upon falling silent, my chest heaving, lungs protesting the extent of their use. Supposing the mare at least a little sorry for her lack of composure, I was taken aback, then, by her sudden and overt change of manner.

Her massive wings snapped open first: gleaming pearly in the shadows. They added mass and a strange degree of strength to her silhouette; surprised, I stepped back, suddenly wary. Perhaps I had judged her too simply on our first meeting… Fire began crawling over her outline – Phoenix help me – and I stepped back again, true fear usurping anger. With a concerned glance at Aylin and the child, I glanced back to Aurelia, thoroughly confused. Did she mean to hurt me? Appropriate enough a death, I suppose, considering my treatment of Roanne… but she spoke instead, words wholly unexpected – so much so I failed to understand at first. My ears turned back in the face of her fury, pressing hard against my neck, and despite the anger in me a moment before, I stepped back again, all but cowering…

Fortunately, Aurelia took the opportunity to leave rather than to enact violence. I only managed to stare in confusion as she turned, wings fanning the air. The flames died as she took flight, the child running along behind her… the child! “She isn’t my responsibility!” I roared in protest, angered anew and finding courage as I suspected she would not turn around. Indeed, as her burning outline faded, she disappeared from sight, rising into the storm-heavy sky without a second thought. For a long moment I stared after, ears pinned, as the child crumpled to the earth. “I hope the lightning finds you,” I grunted, tail lashing.

But of course, I had other matters demanding attention. I spoke to Aylin as I approached the girl, my head tilted, eying the ill-formed plumage upon tiny wings. Her mother… Then she knew Evangeline. I breathed a sigh. “Yes. She resides in the World’s Edge with myself and many others. She is… well.” An odd stirring answered in my chest when the girl inquired after a father. It was not my news to give, but with no one else present, I merely blinked at her. She couldn’t be very old… frightened, lost to the large world. “I don’t believe your father makes Helovia his home, anymore.” Softly. I found my anger dying, replaced by an utter chill, something like winter sweeping through my bones. I returned my gaze to the child – Faeanne? No mother now, no family… What had that foolish mare been doing, having herself bred, only to sacrifice her progeny for what? Pride?

I swallowed past something – something difficult, in the back of my throat. “I will not ask that you accompany me, but I think this child needs attention. I will take her back to the Edge. I would be glad for your company, but I won’t force you to go anywhere you don’t wish to.” I blinked again at the child, finding my voice strange and distant – flat. “I would not assume… I know what is best for you.” For anyone, I wanted to say, painfully aware of past mistakes. Slowly, I reached down to nudge the child, hoping she did not interpret the motion as attack and try to flee.

“We should go home now,” I murmured, wearily. “Faeanne. Perhaps your mother is there, waiting for us.” I knew it a lie and yet I voiced it anyway, unable to think of anything better, aware only of a hollow growing in me when I looked at her. Though I hardly deemed Aurelia a suitable guardian, I supposed my certainty of the foal’s ill-fortune fell more on the side of experience in that arena – I knew too much of how children died. I wanted, though it pained me, to ensure this one met no similar fate.

[ lol, I am definitely surprised! xD But totally down with this ]

Hidden Account
ali
 aylin

She was, once again, stumbling backwards as flames began to engulf the pegasus mare. Her ears laid back against her head as she began to scream at Ruske to take care of the child. This was exactly the opposite of what she had wanted to happen. She had wanted to slip into Helovia completely unseen and unknown, but instead she'd gotten the reception from the depths of hell. She was stunned when Aurelia ran away, leaving her child in their care. Her own mother hadn't been around much after she'd reached a year old, but she had never abandoned her. Aylin had made her own decision to stay in Helovia instead of leaving with her mother. This poor child obviously wanted to stay with her mother judging from the way she sobbed after being abandoned.

With the pegasus mare gone the area became quiet except for the soft sobs of the filly and Ruske's answers to her questions. Her father wasn't here anymore, but her mother was? So they split up. Aylin frowned and shook her head thinking it unbelievable that that could be true. Ruske continued to speak and she simply stood by and watched him as he tended to the foal.

"You lived with my mother in Isilme." The words flew from her mouth before she could stop them, but she continued on and stared intently at the stallion. "You were a healer weren't you?" She held her gaze for a moment then looked down at the foal. "My mother will probably take care of her if you bring her to her... I'll go with you." It was about time that she reunited with her mother.

"."

Credits

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen
You can skip fae, if we are doing another round here! :D We can just say that fae is still sobbing a little, but Ruske saying aurelia might be at home, helped.

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker