the Rift

[PRIVATE] What Was I Thinking? [Alysanne/Kahlua]

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Forcing her feet to move forward step by step the white mare headed home for the first time in a about a month her head a mess of confusion. The last couple weeks felt like a blur making it hard to remember one thing from another but something had changed. A shift of some sort and she had an awful feeling it was because of the one encounter with the pegasus stallion. Hormones had driven her to lose control of her common sense again, only this time it was by her own choice at least thats what she could remember anyway. It had been almost three weeks since that incident and she had begun to notice subtle changes in herself.

While her body had not changed much appearance wise she could feel it. Her normally thin frame had slowly started to fill in making her look slightly stocky, and each morning this week her stomach had not felt great at all. She was not used to this sick kind of feeling and dreaded it knowing there was nothing that seemed to make it go away. Either she was slowly dying or there was the possibility that she was pregnant. Neither sounded like a good thing right now with all things considered. She had just started to finally find things that made her happy and now she was hit with this.

Both options scared her half to death, she didn't want to die anymore than she wanted to be pregnant. With the past encounters ending as they did she had thought herself incapable of carrying a baby, it either never took or the one time it did things turned out tragically. She couldn't deal with that happening again, she had barely managed to survive the last time. Sighing heavily she cast her gaze around hoping to find someone to talk to, she needed to talk to one of her friends maybe they could give her another possible option other than the two she had come up with.

Brisa speaks

TAGS: @[Alysanne], @[Kahlua]
MUSE: Good
NOTES: Thought I would bring the 3 musketeers back for a meeting XD

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Everyone wandered in and out of the Edge as they wished, but every once in a while Alysanne started to notice the absences. Especially when it came to her friends, if she didn’t at least see them wandering about the Edge every few days she started to worry. And Brisa had been absent for some time now - or maybe it just felt longer because it had been some time since they had spoken. Once it had been more than a few days, the pegasus had made a point of paying particular attention for when the beautiful white mare might once again show back up. She tried not to worry, really! It just came so naturally to her.

So it was with great joy that she spotted her on this spring day – a delighted whinny escaping her and serving as a greeting as she picked up a quick trot. A much quicker gait would have been preferred to close the distance between them, but the owlet that had talonfuls of her mane rather demanded a slower pace so that he would not fall off. Someday he would learn to fly, but she imagined he would need to be significantly less fluffy before that were to happen. “Brisa!” A she drew closer that so-familiar name slipped out and she stopped just before her dear friend – offering her muzzle to bump against Brisa’s with affection.

One thing less to worry about! And those bright green eyes just shone with happiness as she took in the sight. “It has been too long, my dear friend. How have you been?” Perhaps best to not quite bring up the fact that her absence in the Edge had been noticed – Alysanne decided it might be best if she kept her worries to herself. After all, they were far too numerous to even begin to share.

Hemlock, for his part, remained at his perch between her ears – small talons holding tight to both Alysanne’s mane and the glass headband that she wore. Quite ruffled by the trot over here, he was settling down with some small, indignant peeps, before focusing those dark eyes on this strange white mare.

[owl image by Dave Menke, USFWS as posted on Teton Raptor Center website]

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Had anybody asked her if she had noticed Brisa's absence, the queen surely would have felt terrible. To be honest, she had been so busy with the politics of the land- welcoming newcomers, trying to commune with the gods to help her on her quest for peace, and dealing with the Basin's unexpected visit- that she hadn't really had time to notice anything other than what she was seeing in that very moment. No, perhaps she had not been the best friend as of late, and it would have broken her very soul to think so. Luckily, nobody had asked her.

Having been staying home much more often recently, out of respect for her king and herd, it was not unusual for the queen to be wandering near the borders. Although she had been forcing herself to stay here out of respect, she still longed for the freedom to run wild and free. There were some things she adored about being queen and others... well, nothing was perfect though.

A flash of white through the trees caught the girl's attention and she turned her head suddenly, spotting the long-absent face of Brisa and, approaching from not too far off, Alysanne. It was serendipitous, the way the three of them always seemed to find one another at just the right moment, but it was a part of their bond that the queen enjoyed very much. Closing the distance that remained between them, Kahlua was just in time to hear the end of Aly's words. “Oh, I always miss you two when we're apart!” she exclaimed brightly, although she hadn't been separated from Aly for very long. But long was relative when every sunset meant the night's terrors would be awoken.

“Come, lets walk while we talk,” she suggested, perhaps a little strongly, but she'd never really been a subtle personality. She set off slowly, towards the cliffs, hoping the girls would follow her. The last time they'd been to the cliffs as a trio Kahlua had been a crying mess, but she had come to terms with Antheia's death and the cliffs held little horror for her now. Besides, she rather enjoyed the sound of salty waves upon the rocks below. There was something soothing about the rhythmic noise.
Kahlua
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

It was definitely good to be back home once again, in a place that was familiar and well comfortable to her. She had a long way to go before she could say that she had met all of those who also were a part of her herd family but she was trying to meet others. Her last meeting with a particular herd member happened to pop into her mind and she couldn't help but just shake her head slightly to herself and chuckle. Ya she had definitely gotten to know him, this was the whole reason she was in this mess in the first place. Maybe she should have just stuck to her earlier habits of not socializing with others, granted it wouldn't have likely made much of a difference with all things considered.

Perking her ears forward at the sound of her name her blue eyes caught what she had been just thinking about and needed at this moment. A loud welcoming nicker sounded from her throat as a grin spread across her face, oh it was so good to see her friend again. Bumping her nose in return to Alysanne's she pulled back slightly to get a good look at her friend. "I have missed you, are you well?" She commented lightly in the same instance she spotted Kahlua approaching them. Greeting her with the same happy smile she bobbed her head seconding her words. Moving over to fall into step beside Kahlua she cast a gaze back to Aly hoping she would be coming as well. It felt like such a relief to have her two best friends back again, how had she ever managed before she had friends, oh right she didn't.

" I'm so happy to see you both!" She replied brightly as she felt the faintest bit of relief wash over her for the first time in awhile. All the drama of her life was stressing her out, it was nice just to feel the weight lift for a little while. She had no idea how she was going to manage to bring up the topic without sounding like an idiot, she couldn't exactly just come out and say she felt like she was either dying or preggo as then there would be the discussion as to the awkward encounter with the culprit of the story, well other than herself. Gah why couldn't things be simpler.

"How have you both been? Well I hope." She was eager to find out how her friends were doing and just push off her own problems the best she could.

Brisa speaks

TAGS: Kahlua, @[Alysanne]
MUSE: Good
NOTES: <3

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

Whether it was wonderful luck or whether this was just meant to be, their monochromatic trio was reunited when their patchwork queen. These two represented her first experiences in this herd, represented all that she loved about Helovia and the reasons why she had decided to stay. Hemlock greeted Kahlua with a delightful little hoot – she was one of the few that he had given his approval to already. She just wished he would just take a liking to others!

Nodding her agreement to the idea of taking a walk as they chatted, she fell into place with them, taking a spot on Brisa’s other side as she let Kahlua guide their direction. Her smile was bright as she revelled in their company. Didn’t matter where they walked, so long as they were together, right? She would be so happy to notice that the proximity of the cliffs did not hold the same horrors for Kahlua as they had before.

To answer Brisa’s question, Alysanne was afraid that she didn’t have anything all that exciting to contribute but movement between her ears reminded her of one very important thing that had happened. “I’ve been great! Found little Hemlock here and beyond that just trying to keep busy. Helovia is so beautiful in the spring!”

It wasn’t lost on Alysanne how Brisa hadn’t answered her question, but perhaps it was a simple matter of getting lost in the comings of their other friend and reuniting with each other once more! But now she had the opportunity to ask it again, eager for the answer. “And what about you? What’ve you been up to?” An innocent enough question, after all she had no way of knowing just what Brisa had been up to lately! She was still just so happy that the white mare was safe.

made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Nerves started to prickle in the mares stomach at the impending conversation topic that she would have to eventually bring up, what would they say when they found out? Forcing herself to swallow the lump building in her throat she tried to level out her thoughts as she listened to the other two mares speak happily. Tilting her head upwards as Aly mentioned Hemlock she only then clued into the pretty little owlet perched atop Aly's head. "He is so adorable! " She coed in adoration for the little creature, why couldn't she have this much enthusiasm when it came to foals? She was definitely lacking something from her genetics that allowed her to feel comfortable and confident about becoming a mother, all she felt was fear.

As their conversation progressed the doomsday question was yet again mentioned to her dismay, she had forgotten how quickly Alysanne picked up on things being as smart as she was. Damn well there goes the idea that it might be forgotten she thought silently to herself trying to make her brain continue working instead of shutting itself down. Stop being a chicken and just get it over with! Sighing softly she tried to work herself up to making her mouth say what she needed to, why was this so hard? " I haven't really done all too much just wandering around you know... but I have a slight problem.." She commented glancing down towards the green grass beneath their feet in a moments hesitation.

A slight problem? Thats all she had come up with? Oh boy she was even worse off than she had thought, it was more like a major problem that she had no idea how to fix or make better. " I think I might be...pregnant.." She finally concluded softly feeling her cheeks flush. There she had said it, now it was only awaiting the replies she would receive on the topic. In a way she was happy about it but there was the large part of her that was terrified of the concept, her last pregnancy had not been a happy memory and she did not want to have to relive it over again. Oh what was she to do?

Brisa speaks

TAGS: @[Alysanne], Kahlua
NOTES: I apologize for skipping you kahlua, I just hope to get this thread moving before she has her baby XD Just chime in whenever you find time :)

The quickest way into Hemlock’s heart was just what Brisa did - the little owlet just adored being cooed over. By the right horse, of course. Though he seemed to be awfully picky about who he was friendly with - Kahlua being just about the only one so far - he hooted back at Brisa before settling back down to ignore them all while he (attempted to) nap. Well, it was far better than the dark glances he had been shooting before.

Alysanne waited patiently for Brisa to answer the question, concern colouring her expression when she picked up on the hesitation. Did something happen? Luckily she kept her imagination in check, surely their friend would let them know if something big happened to her. Sure enough, though, a ‘slight problem’ was mentioned. All her attention remained on the white mare as she waited for an explanation - knowing that it would come when she was ready, and there was certainly no point in trying to coax it out of her before that.

Well, it turns out that ‘slight problem’ was quite a delightful one! Brisa was pregnant! “Oh my gosh that’d be amazing!” Was of course her first reaction - the mere idea of foals bringing such warmth to Alysanne - but she calmed herself down quickly. Maybe it wasn’t such delightful news for everyone and the fact that Brisa had labelled it a ‘problem’ was certainly a warning that she should try to tread more carefully. A glance cast towards Kahlua to gauge the painted queen’s impression of the matter before asking much more softly: “But you’re uncertain?” That concern coming back quickly, for though she didn’t seem entirely upset at the notion, it was not spoken with as much joy as Alysanne might have expected.

Whatever her thoughts were on the matter, she hoped Brisa trusted them enough to speak her mind - she could share any of her fears, any of her concerns.

made by the lovely tamme

The grey mare was absolutely delighted when the little owlet seemed to acknowledge her comment, she couldn't help it he was absolutely the cutest thing. Watching him for a second longer she finally managed to concentrate her efforts on not walking into something, that would just be her luck. Keeping her eyes down she tried to wait patiently for what response she would get from her friends, would they be accepting of the news? Butterflies somersaulted at the many possibilities that jumped from neuron to neuron rapidly making her feel sick all over again.

“Oh my gosh that’d be amazing!” Lifting her head at such an exuberant reaction she couldn't help the smile that followed. In reality she wanted to be excited about this moment but there were so many circumstances that prevented that thought from surfacing. Oh how she wished things could just be straightforward and not complicated, then maybe she could be as delighted as Alysanne about her news. "Things are..a little complicated." She replied slowly trying to chose her words carefully. Hell there was no easy way to say all this but it needed to come out while she had the chance to talk to someone.

"You see.. this won't be the first time I have become pregnant. Before I found this place things were not all that great for me, I grew up alone after my parents were killed and well there were many instances that I was not strong enough to fight them off.. the males.." Taking a moment to bite back the painful memories and recompose herself she continued. "About a year ago I lost my baby after about 7 months after yet another unexpected encounter. He left me there to die... I didn't know any of them." There were many days where she wished that he would have finished the job as the pain was too much to bare, but she had fought through it taking it day by day.

"Now that I am pregnant again, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't want to go through that again.. plus I don't really know who the father is.." The fact really didn't make a huge difference one way or another but it still worried her as she wanted her baby to grow up knowing its father if it got a chance that is. Both the pegasus and the black stud were possibilities how would she ever know for sure?

Brisa speaks

TAGS: @[Alysanne], Kahlua
NOTES: :p

A bob her head back to Brisa, a brilliant laugh, and she was walking along with them, enjoying the sites and sounds, the winds and shade of the forest. Life with her friends was brilliant. “Busy, so busy,” she said a little too dramatically at Brisa's asking how she had been, but she quickly fell silent to let Aly share her more important news- the fledgling. And honestly, she couldn't have been more pleased at his greeting. So, while Aly was talking, she snuck a little smile and a puff of warm air his way, a gentle greeting for the babe that was not yet ready for flight.

Of course the queen was not so observant as the pegasus and she hadn't really noticed Brisa's apprehension to share what she had been up to. Still, even the less than observant queen caught the apprehension in Brisa's voice and when she mentioned a problem the queen was all ears. She withdrew her attention from the owl, no offense meant, and lent her heart and soul to Brisa. “It's ok,” she murmured softly when Brisa paused, looked down to the grass... What was it that was bothering her so? Brisa's answer came shortly thereafter. Pregnancy.

Now, Kahlua was not at all shocked by the mare's hesitance at having a child. Truth be told, the queen was not all that interested in having children and she would probably be as hesitant as dear Brisa if she ever found herself in the situation. Still, the Sunshower had never encountered another who was so apprehensive about foals and it struck her into silence for a moment as she considered the idea, letting Aly lead the conversation for now. She was much better with serious conversations anyways. And it seemed Brisa was more than happy to share her feelings anyways, so the queen tried to push aside her own feelings on foals and pregnancies and be the good friend she was expected to be, instead of the child she preferred to be.

Brisa's story pained Kahlua, made her very heart hurt to hear, and she quickly and swiftly reached her nose out, trying to press it against the mare's neck, to offer her some amount of comfort if she could. “Oh Brisa,” but suddenly it occurred to her that she was a queen, that she had the backing of a relatively large army. “Did you get a look at him? We'll find him, we'll bring him to trial for his injustices!” True, she was probably a little dramatic, and Aly was probably going to be better with the soothing part and the gentle coaxes that were needed, but Kahlua was determined to right the pain that her friend was feeling- even if she didn't exactly understand what she was fixing.

@[Alysanne] So sorry for the delay- crazy week!
Kahlua
Image Credit

Well, Alysanne took a little bit of joy out of seeing the small smile that her exuberance managed to get out of Brisa. But then they found out what the complicated part was. Sometimes she forgot that there was still a lot that she did not know about these two dear friends of her - lives that existed before she had arrived in Helovia. What else had they not yet discovered? To learn that Brisa had such tragedy in her life surrounding pregnancy! No wonder she was feeling hesitant.

She reached out to touch her muzzle to Brisa’s neck as they continued to walk, expressing her condolences in a way that words just couldn’t quite cover.

And she couldn’t help but smile a little at Kahlua’s reaction - their brilliant Queen coming to the rescue with talk of a trial. It was not such a terrible idea! If Brisa could identify the father - for Alysanne took it much the same way as Kahlua, not realizing that in fact she did not know which father it was - then perhaps there could be some justice done upon him. Motherhood was a wonderful, glorious thing but no one should be forced into it. The fact that this had happened to Brisa while she was young made Alysanne incredibly sad, and to have it happen again!

Without the power of being a Queen there was little Alysanne could do to offer for justice but she hoped that maybe, maybe she could offer some sort of comfort for the rest. “Oh sweetie I’m so sorry. You know we’re here for you, right? We’ll be with you through this - through this part and everything afterwards.” Maybe Alysanne didn’t win ‘mother of the year’ with her own son, but he was not the first foal she had cared for. The role came naturally to her and if she could help one of her best friends out in anyway, she was going to. “And we’ve got Resplendence who knows all sorts of herbs that can help you. I know it’s scary but you’re not alone in this. I have a feeling that you’ll be just fine. You and the baby.” Maybe not the best pep-talk she had ever given but she was not going to back down. She would help Brisa get through this!

made by the lovely tamme

Now that some of the horrors of her past life were out on the table she found it easier to take a breath. Things were by no means easy to deal with and her current future was uncertain but it was friends like these two mares that made everything bearable. Feeling Kahlua's muzzle touch her neck she managed a thankful smile turning her head towards her for a moment before Alysanne did the same. She felt tears of appreciation cloud her eyes for a second before she blinked them away. Maybe there would be a way to pull through all this without completely losing herself to it all. As the painted mares words continued to flow she couldn't help but giggle at her rather over the top solution to the whole thing.

She could just picture Kahlua leading down warriors to apprehend the stallion before marching him to his trial. The image was more than entertaining as she could just imagine the look on Torleik's face or that of Note's. Neither would likely take it well calling them all sorts of names, oh the drama it would create. Slowly shaking her head she knew she would have to go on and explain why that couldn't happen. Truth was that she still cared about both of them greatly and would not want anything to happen to them. If it was not for Torleik pretty much dropping off the face of the earth she would not have met Note, neither friendship she regretted making it was just the complication that worried her.

"Its not exactly like that.. tho it would be amazing to see. There are well two possibilities for who may be the father.." Oh god this was embarrassing, it was going to sound like she was a two timing tramp. It was so far from that, oh how was she ever going to explain this? " Things are rather complicated.. I never believed that I could get pregnant after everything...the spring weather well kinda did things and ya... I don't even know how to be a mother, mine died when I was very young..."

Now she really felt like becoming an ostrich just so that she could stick her head underground and hide from the world until all this blew over. "The first stallion, Torleik all but disappeared after our encounter leaving me to think he wasn't coming back and then while that was playing with my head stallion two came along, Note." Well there was a chance that neither of the pair would know Torleik but they definitely knew who Note was and where to find him, this would be awkward at very least. " I still care about them both, I just don't know.." Trailing off at the thought she sighed softly.

"I really don't know what I would do without you guys it means so much to me to hear you say the things you have." She finally managed gratefully. She really didn't know why either of them stood by her but she was so glad that they did, they were like family to her and she would never change that.

Brisa talks
Brisa thinks

•• TAGS: @[Alysanne], Kahlua •• NOTES: -- ••

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs

Times like these were a struggle for all, not the least of whom was Brisa, and the queen wished she could do so much more than just offer a trial. To be honest, the girl's brash heart wanted to send her warriors out after the monster that had attacked her friend and hunt him down like a dog. But she could not jeopardize everything her herd stood for in such a manner. She had to try to retain some sort of peace, even if she felt the dog that would do this to her friend deserved nothing better than to lay bleeding on the dirty ground. At least Aly was better with words. The soothing voice of the pegasus was hopefully a better comfort to the girl. “She's right, we're always here for you,” Kahlua echoed, trying to smile for the pained mother.

But it was Brisa's story and Brisa's turn to speak again. With a gentle ear turned towards her, she tried to make sense of what Brisa was saying. Torleik? Torleik?! After all she had done to try to forgive him for trespassing on the Edge's land and he lured her friend in and then left her on her own. The mare frowned, decidedly upset with the stallion that she was trying her very best to forgive. She had thought she might be able to seek him out without yelling at him, but now she was not so certain. And Note... her up and coming warrior... Kahlua sighed, but not because of anything Brisa had done, but rather because she could do so little for the white mare.

“It's not your fault,” she decided on, when she finally got over her frustration enough to speak. “You deserve someone who won't leave you to fend for yourself after becoming so close to you.” She looked to Aly for a moment, not sure how else to console her friend other than to be here for her. “You can do this Brisa. You have the whole herd behind you. Especially me and Aly. And Note.” She hoped it was the right thing to say, hoped she was not saying the wrong thing when it would be so easy to injury Brisa's already fragile feelings... She just wasn't made for these heavy moments.
Kahlua
Image Credit

It seemed like they were helping Brisa just a little bit - or maybe that was just hopefully wishing on Alysanne’s part. She so wished that either herself or Kahlua would find that magical combination of words that would make everything click - that would return a smile to that beautiful pale face. Kahlua’s offer to send the army after the offender did manage to get a giggle though!

They get a little more explanation - figuring out that she didn’t know who the father was because there were two possibilities! Oh, you go Brisa. Neither of the names were familiar (though she might recognize Note on sight) and she sounded like she did indeed care about them both. Well, she’ll find out who is the father when the foal is born! Though the fact that she did care for them really did complicate things.

Having only cared for one stallion she really didn’t know that feeling but she did feel sorry that Brisa had to be wrestling with these feelings on top of the worry about a foal. “Maybe Torleik will come around? Stallions sometimes get spooked about intimacy, right?” Sasha certainly was. Spooked hardly even covered the first time she made her feelings known! She looked to Kahlua for some sort of confirmation of this thought.

And she just wanted to see if she could make her feel a little bit better about the baby thing too. “You know, I was attacked by a mountain lion when I was pregnant with my son.” She moved the wing closest to Brisa upwards just a little, showing the scar that disfigured the joint where wing met body. The term ‘mountain lion’ tasted wrong as she spoke it, just as it always did when she thought about that time of her life. But she never dwelled on it, and certainly not now. “I honestly didn’t think he would make it. Our bodies can do such wonderful things and you have such strength in you Brisa.” And whatever strength she didn't think she had, they would be there to lend to her.

made by the lovely tamme