the Rift

[DROP] Chthonic Rites [Earth/Water Magic Drop]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The ancient sphinx took her place within the rotunda, the beauty of the stained glass windows pallid in comparison with her dangerous, mythical grace. With the body of a lioness, the wings of a great and powerful bird, and the breathtakingly flawless face of a human, the creature was at home here. Just as this place seemed fixed in time, persisting though the world moved on around it, so was the sphinx and her purpose here. An aged magic resided within her, the essence of her arcane existence, and the creature had come to this place to pass on both the magic within and on from this stifling mortal plane.

And this particular structure, gorgeous as it was with its kaleidoscopic floor and peaceful isolation, seemed as good a place as any in this land at which to transcend.

However, such ascension could not take place without a properly adequate mortal to which the sphinx could pass on her essence. Unfortunately for herself and those who might wish to obtain what she possessed, no worthy bodies presented themselves. No matter. Time was of little consequence. This was where she would die, such as the mortals would consider a death, and how long it took was not of particular importance.

The piercing gaze of her lavender eyes roamed around, casting about for any who might draw near, for when they did, they would hear in their minds her first test:

"I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What am I?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a drop for earth/water magic. You have 72 hours to post your character's response to this riddle.

darknightoftroy

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Having found Hamaliel in the Rotunda and guided him home to the Edge, the Sunshower had been more than eager to return to the place to explore the beauty. The draped curtains and pillars of rock, the stained glass reflecting its image down on the floor and the wrought iron holding everything together... The queen had not and still did not think of it as a symbol of unity, though perhaps it would do her well to come to that conclusion. After all, her very life centered around the idea of creating unity between the herds. If she figured it out, could this Rotunda serve as a symbol of hope for the movement? Ah, but the minds of fools do not so often wander to philosophy.

Bounding chaotically through the grasses, the queen was quite a sight as she closed the distance between herself and the structure, gasping aloud when she saw that something new had been added to the Rotunda. A sphinx- a creature the queen was quite unfamiliar with and that all at once made her afraid and awed. Stopping abruptly, the queen wandered around to the front of the great cat, blue eyes finding the creature's lavender ones for a moment, before the girl felt like she could no longer hold her gaze. Dropping her blue eyes to the ground, she was just about to speak from trembling hooves when she heard a voice in her head.

What am I? Kahlua sighed. She hated riddles and was miserably poor at philosophy and other such endeavors of the mind. Still, as she had come to learn, such mysterious events often meant magic, and the queen could do with some support in such matters. She frowned. Trying to make the gears in her head turn was like trying to quench a forest fire with a cup- it was fruitless endeavor that left her only more frustrated than fulfilled. Still, if not a smart horse, she was at least stubborn, and so she spoke the only thing she could actually think of.

“Peace,” she spouted, though perhaps it was not entirely true with the riddle. She could not think of a time when there really, truly had been peace, but there were always those talking of making it happen. It was not something that could ever be seen but it was something that she strove to reach. Perhaps not everybody wanted peace, so it likely wasn't the answer the creature was looking for, but the queen's soprano had already filled the air and there was no turning back now. She waited patiently, still shaking, wondering whether this creature would turn out to be friend or foe.

[Magic: Earth x Shock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
Prior Refusals: #1, #2, #3
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Merida Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: Three Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Miles :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Emily

Merida
Chase the Wind and Touch the Sky

Ever since the day in the meadow with my Dad, yes I am still getting used to that fact, Miles and I had been very much on our own. I was growing fast, but not near as fast as my little brother. Yes, that had become the relationship we has. I was very much the protective big sister, while he as my little brother tried to be just as protective of me. It was a odd relationship, but it works for us.

Today found us seeking out my Dad. I am not sure where he truly calls home, but the smell on his coat that day seemed to match this place. I can only hope that this is it. I can feel my little brother emotions reacting to my own. I was nervous, yet curious. He on the other hand was looking for anything and everything he could get into. I think it's my emotions that keep him on my back.

Suddenly, something moving catches his eyes. He grabs a mouth full of my mane and tugs hard. My ears flick backward in annoyance as I turn my head to look at what he sees. The creature is strange, that's for sure. Her body was like a large cat, but her face was like no other creature I have ever seen. She also had wings, which was even stranger for me.

As one, well, really just me walking closer Miles and I approach the creature. I stop a slight distance off, not wanting to crowd. I may be the second to arrive, but I was sure I would not be the last. One a painted mare had beaten me here. As more come, the creature finally speaks. But wait, her mouth isn't moving! Miles looked at me, clearly hearing the voice as well. After all, he's in my head too now. "I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What am I?" A riddle? What does this all mean?! I look at Miles who had a puzzled look on his face. Was he trying to figure out what the riddle meant? Oh why did it have to be a riddle!

I never was, yet always am to be. Okay, so it's something that is always here. Always will exist. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, So I guess that means it's invisible too? Always around, but can't be seen.... What is always around and can't be seen..... What was the next part of the riddle, oh yeah! yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What is always around, invisible, and everyone strives to reach with every breath and beat of our heart....... Without thinking I blurt out "Air!" Surely this has to be right. What other choice is there. Air is always around, it can't be seen, and we all need to to breath to keep our hearts beating. Oh please let me be right!

"blah blah blah."

Wishlist
Earth x Wind | can create sand-structures that will not fall apart under non-battle condition
or
Dark x Water | Can pull water from another's blood, causing dehydration

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

In her own light, swept across the growth of Birdsong and sent to lay itself across the floor of the ruin, it finds something to reflect off of and return to her. Tired with her mind heavy and eyes weak, they take the creature at first as an illusion. It stood there in all of it's glory, something that as a child would do nothing more than make her jaw hang at the hinges. She thinks back to something she remembers as a child in a place where the land was decorated in the most unique of ways, when she and others had come in costume and spoken to something interesting. This must play no different as the memory of receiving a certain trinket(one she now couldn't find herself naming the location of) left her not to forget.
Bones ache and she calls it the humidity that clots the air much unlike the Throat's air playing with her senses. It's right there, whatever it is, and it has to be fake. She recalls drinking salt water in some idiotic moment, and if it had gone ahead and played tricks upon her brain, then let it do so. Right now, she could care less if there were others to stumble across her and then view her as confused child speaking to something standing in the ruins.
Maybe it was a gift from the Gods, one telling her that it's about time you found something to make you comfortable and to drool about like you had done as a child.
It speaks, damn, it speaks. Her confused and probably drugged state replies to it's words with a drunkard's "Huh?" She stares with nothing but a mouth slightly agap, and if there's drool hanging from it, then she has yet to offer it her attention.
The lavender eyes and great wings soon enough become sharp enough in her pale eyes for her to see this is just something made for the freak show. It's speaking to her still, and when her confused and lost sounds that don't exactly resemble words don't bring her any further in understanding it, the words that it's released float loosely about until they find themselves into her ears and going through her thoughts.
Some part of her finds logic and she thinks. It might be a mint leaf she'd been chewing upon earlier that awoke her thoughts and got her thinking even though some odd herb that she had eaten settled with a depressing and later on, humilating, effect.
Finally, some sort of language falls from her with the grace of a newborn horse, slurring out an answer to the creature.
"Is it air?"

OOC: On a scale of one to ten of Sikeax being messed up from herbs, I'd put her at floating deep into the dark depths of the universe looking for a lost cause.

Anyway, we're here for this little magic here.
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=80...ght=sikeax
[EarthxWater] :: Mineral Water :: The ability to heal with the usage of water, such as sea water, fresh water, snow, ice, et cetera. Anything made of water.

Restrictions: The area around must have water.
If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?

Image Credits

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.

Marble decorated with rags, tattered And worn, draped around each pillar, ready for any to dismantle them. She smiles for She likes the place... A place with a building of mystery, a place that never was here before the darkness. The marble And the glass, perfectly shaped to work in harmony with one another. A beautiful sight causes her to smile, but What lies ahead will prove to be puzzling.

Others have gathered, all answering a riddle. Puzzles both confuse and intrigue
She tips her head slightly at the odd sight. A creature, one She has never seen before. And when She spots it, She halts, tipping her dome to one side in confusion. When her orbs meet the lavender gaze, the thing speaks... It's voice a riddle, a test, a question. Abishia listens, her harks stretched forward to capture the words. "I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What am I?"

Air? No... Water? No... It must not be material. It must be something you can't hold in your hands but can feel? Well, definitely not peace, not every mortal strives for peace... She sits in deep thought for several moments, her mind hopelessly searching for an answer to suit the question, to show the thing What She is worth. And just when the disappointment of failure kicks in, an idea hits her. Perfection... No one is perfect, but we always seem to expect they should be. We all strive for it... A smile cracks through her taut lined lips. "Perfection, possibly? "

Abishia hopes for
:: [Magic: EarthxLight | Ability to create and manipulate leather] :: [Restrictions | Must use a live animal for source of leather]::

Wishlist:: http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=11914

"blah blah blah."

ABISHIA

Image Credits

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Now that spring had come, and especially now that the sickness that had taken hold of Helovia had departed, Alysanne was experiencing a bit stronger of a desire to explore the lands that lay beyond the Edge. Before, she had been too distracted by thoughts of her son and of her once-home - but now, now she so deeply considered Helovia home that she thought she might as well explore it a little deeper and discover what secrets it may have. 

Though she had been here before, the first time she met Parelia and Africa and their wonderful companions, it was quite a coincidence that she would end up by the round stone structure along with so many others. It was easy spotting Kahlua among the crowd that had gathered around a creature she did not quite know the name of. It was beautiful, there was no denying that - she found herself drawn to it out of simple and delightful curiosity, gathering with the others to hear it speak. 

It offered them a riddle!

Oh this was exciting… though puzzles had never been her favourite but her sister had quite enjoyed them. She preferred simpler puzzles - how to get certain plants to grow, how to deal with love - but she remembered fondly being quizzed by dear Iona and almost never finding the right answer. Quietly, the black and white pegasus listened and debated to herself, mulling over the possibilities. Never was yet always am to be stuck in her mind and in a moment of silence she posed her answer in that of a question, uncertain as she was. “Are you the future?” Her contribution was made shyly, everyone else had offered up such creative answers and she was most interested in discovering who might be right among all of them! This was rather exciting, she wondered if creatures like this often appeared in Helovia, offering riddles and… well, what exactly in return? That, along with the answer, remained to be seen.

wishlist
going for: Earth x Light: pale, coloured flowers grow in the covert feathers of the topside of her wings which can be harvested and eaten (by herself or others) to heal minor afflictions such as headaches, fever

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Delinne Posts: 232
Hidden Falls Curiosus II
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Dezba :: Black Jaguar :: Stormcall Ina
Damn. Damn it, damn it, damn it! I kicked at my belly in frustration before I continued to walk. Why why had I let that beast control me? I had shown myself weak and of course, that's the moment when a giant horny stallion comes around and makes me pregnant before leaving without a trace. Dezba was as expected happy for me, even though I had told her at least a thousand times along our journey back to the Ancient Rotunda where we had tried to save the fillies. 'I wonder if they're still here...' 'Don't think so. No smell.' I looked down at the jaguar, but I didn't question her. It had afterall been a while since we visited here last. "What do you smell?" 'Mystery. Horses. Wings. Abishia.' A smile lurked upon my lips at the sound of that name. Abishia, the filly who tried to flirt with my son.

"Let's pay a visit to this... adventure." I whispered before I set off into a trot with Dezba half-running by my side and as soon as we had entered the special part of this Thistle Forest, I saw the mystery. A... what-now? 'Lion body. Wings. Flat face.' 'I can see that, Desired.' I slowed down as we got closer and I looked at the ones around me. Three equines - genetically Abishia was still a hornless and she couldn't change that -, one unicorn and one pegasi. I tilted my head and looked at the strange hybrid, when it suddenly started to speak. Surely it was beautiful, but what was it?

"I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What am I?" Uhm. What? I shook my head slightly before I tilted it again and observed the weird hybrid-non-statue. The other horses started to answer and I listened to every single one of them. "Peace." "Air!" "Is it air?" "Perfection, possibly?" "Are you the future?" I turned my head to the black and white pegasus. Future. "I never was, yet always am to be." My gaze slowly fell on the beautiful, weird hybrid again and both my companion's and my gaze was locked onto her - her? - before we - or I - replied. "Could you be the future?"

"Talking"
'Thinking'
'Dezba talking'
Words: 393
Tags:
OOC: Delinne wishes for,
[Magic: Water x Shock | Ability to charge the body's water with electricity to slowly create pain for the opponent. ]
:: [Restrictions | Lasts for about 30 seconds, leaves the feeling that you have been cooked alive afterwards. Demands eye-contact with the opponent. ]
Wishlist
delinne
Image Credit
Code by Sevin
[Image: 23hlgsp.png]
We will always be a team, no matter what.
Remember?

Please tag Delinne in all posts. Attacking is not allowed without my permission.
Want to meet Delinne? Post in this thread c:

Agrona Posts: 115
Hidden Falls Tiro atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Seven HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
Agrona | Carnage

I watch as they pass, and they all coincidentally seem to be going toward the same thing... gravitating toward that big rainbow glassed house. Being nosy and curious, I wait for the last one to wander by, and I follow a comfortable distance behind the painted Pegasus. The columns of the Rotunda reached up to the thick bows of the trees, vines falling from a green sky and connecting back into a twisted knot of bark and leaves in another tree; bright colors shimmered off of the see-through ceiling in the distance, casting reds, greens and blues onto the nearest trees. Every set of hooves stopped around the unreal building, all eyes set on the miraculous creature sitting inside.

A feline, bird and strange primate creature that I had never before seen were all mish-mashed together to create one hell of an animal. Those eyes stared back at all of us, watching with a silence that both reminds me of myself, and almost frightens me. We all seem dumb struck and not a word is said. Suddenly, I can hear it.. It's in my head!?

"I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, nor ever will, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs and beat of heart. What am I?" My right ear twitches hard, the circle of metal clanking off of the antler it tends to lean on. My wild violet eyes leave the primate-faced creature and find themselves searching the expressions of the surrounding mares, each of them seeming to calculate the question just as I should probably be doing right now.

My eyes drop to the ground, my right forehoof scrapping the soft earth impatiently as I waited for my brain to stumble upon something, anything that would likely have anything to do with this god damn riddle. I never was, yet always am to be. No one has ever seen me, yet I am what all mortals strive to reach with every breath of lungs. Who am I? No... that's not what that thing said at all? Fucking a! An irritated sigh rolls from my small chest and I glance back up to the soft-faced creature with agitation and concern filling my brutish eyes.

"Peace." "Air!" "Perfection?" Abishia, the cute little girl I had met a couple of times now, had that questioning tone that I felt I would have too. Each of them had something to say.. except for me. I looked at the unnamed creature, silent as the nervous kid of their first day of school. I'm holding my breath.. but why? I could give a fuck less what any of these mares think of me. I search the humanoid figure with hope boiling in my heart. "Immortality." I finally breath, not even completely sure on why I have chosen that word. Now that I have finally released that huff of still air, I can now breath normally again without feeling like I am choking. Both ears lay backward, annoyed with myself, and I continue to stare at the feline-bodied animal.

Walking "Talking" Thinking
Wishlist
Magic - Dark x Water; Can produce a cloud of thick black smoke from her mouth that will choke others around her.
Restriction; The smoke will leave Agrona feeling a high (ex: blurred vision, slow reaction time).

Credits: code by Tamme | Image by Sarah | Stock Credits in the Link

Let me tell you something baby
You love me for everything you hate me for
[Image: 542f83afbdf08]
  • Please tag me in every post!

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

A matter of days had passed yet it felt more like a month or two had passed by, the many life changing events that had taken place still left the grey in a sated lull. Only a few short days ago he had witnessed the birth of his first child, Ilios. Going from nothing more than a seed of Parelia and his love it was breathtaking to finally see the outcome, to be able to touch and feel the warmth of his skin, to see him take his first steps and start to explore the world. It was something so wonderful and magical that he was left without proper words to describe such an event, it made him feel overjoyed. With the new responsibilities of becoming praector for the Hidden Falls herd added into the mix he could honestly admit that he felt at peace for the first time in his life, everything was good.

The Rotunda was where the duty of Praetor had been delegated, and the land in which his son had been born so it was only natural that upon his return to the land he felt only pleasant memories welcome him upon its threshold. The ancient columns rise up in the distance but it is the small gathering that draws his silver gaze, this was something that he needed to see for himself. Lengthening his stride he canters across the grass slowing only as he draws near to the group who seemed to be fixated upon a rather mythical creature perched among their midst. Never before had he seen something such as this creature but he could feel its radiating aura that demanded respect from all those who approached. This creature was one of power, its voice revealed a riddle for those who had gathered to ponder but who would be correct?

Thinking carefully for a long moment he listened to the answers the others gave, each had reasonable plausibility but it was not what he felt would be correct. " Spirit." His voice is soft yet thoughtful as his gaze falls back to the sphinx hoping that he may have come up with the answer. From beside him Kiara is silent caught up in the mystery of the creature of their focus, her inquisitive blue eyes searching for answers from anyone around.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

Ciceron is wishing for
Magic: [Water X Fire] manipulate a fire of freezing temperatures, which would be capable of freezing the target with ice burns that are more severe than normal burns. Flames are immune to water due to special proprieties, and can even freeze water.

Wishlist

One previous denial: Here

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren

Not long has passed since the great race through the Heart Caves to the Rotunda. I ran as fast as I could, and it paid off. Though I collapsed after crossing the finish line, I had succeeded in winning the race and had been crowned the new Legatus of Hidden Falls. Well, I guess not crowned... but I'm not really sure what else to call it. Anyway, I'm the new boss warrior man. Stallion. Dude. I've been hanging out now in the Rotunda, where the race finished, for a few days. There was no rush getting back to the Hidden Falls.. nothing much was going on there at the moment and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, not after I ran my legs off.

Damaris jumps behind my legs, her paws batting wildly for my tail that I swing back and forth for her entertainment. She's getting bigger everyday, and it's really starting to show. It's still hard for us to communicate, but we get along okay. She feels things, and then I start to feel them, or it is the other way around. If I think things in my mind, sometimes she gets the gist of what I'm trying to say. It's not a perfect art, but we don't try to do anything too complicated with it. I wince as her claws dig into my tail. I take a swig of my vodka, hoping that it won't take too long to dull the pain. She whines at me, and at first I think that she is protesting my drinking. That's something she really just needs to adjust to. At two months old I'm surprised she hasn't figured that out yet... And has it really been two months?

She starts whining again and pulls me from the thought. I turn back to look at her and see her looking at the Rotunda itself. She starts barking and I see that there's something inside the structure. I can't quite see, but I do see quite a gathering taking place around it. I'm not too far off, maybe only thirty to forty yard. I motion to her that we should gather, and approach those there. I see Delinne - her form is unmistakable - and Ciceron, whom I'd just seen at the race. He is the new Praetus, and is just behind me in rank. I still don't know much about him. The others are unfamiliar to me. Some I recognize, but I don't know any of their names. I look within the Rotunda structure, and find myself faced with something I've never seen before. It's got the body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the head of a human. Whatever this thing is.. well, I have no fucking clue. She poses a riddle to the gathering.

Damaris barks at the figure before us, and I wonder if she's trying to threaten the thing or answer the riddle. I look at her as we stand in the back of the gathering and wonder if she has the answer. She fills me with a sense of hope.. Hope? Is that the answer? Somehow I don't think so.

In a rare moment of smarts.. I think I might know what the answer is. I speak up, probably surprising those that are already there. "Is it... tomorrow?"

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Wishlist
Magic: Earth (A) :: Ability to crack the earth within a certain distance and raise earth and rock around him and send it at an opponent or target. He will do this by sending a powerful stomp into the ground. (Restrictions set by admin.)
No previous denials.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Helovian Ancient

More come than the ancient creature anticipated, and she is simultaneously amused by and irked with their answers. Such self-absorption, these creatures, answering based on what their heart desired and not what the whole of their race would want. Only one answered as the sphinx wanted, though two others gave acceptable responses.

As for the others...she gave them their answers in turn, her mouth never opening. Those to whom she spoke heard her voice within their minds, letting no others be privy to their exchange.

To the first, she considered the answer carefully. It was not correct, and was given based on selfish want - but to strive for peace was the goal of many a great creature she had seen pass through the ages. "A noble goal, sought after by many through the eons. You may remain, painted one," she said softly.

The second was but a child, the wear of time not present on her soul, and the sphinx expected a childlike answer. She was not disappointed. "Air exists from one moment to the next, in the past and in the present. Air was, is, and will continue being. Pay more attention next time, young one. You may remain.".

Sneering, the strange amalgam of creatures snorted at the third to come hither and answer the same as the foolish child before her. She would forgive and innocent their folly, but not one who blindly made the same mistake of paying little heed to the first line of the riddle. "A fool's steps lead to death, but to follow a fool to ruin is a greater sin," she said. "You are not worthy." The one that came right after this failure also earned the sphinx's ire. "A life spent striving for perfection is a sad life indeed. You are not worthy."

The next to approach was a pegasus mare, her answer one of the few the sphinx found acceptable thus far. The dark unicorn female to follow seemed to study the one who answered prior, and echoed the response. "A dangerous thing, to rely on the supposed wisdom of another. You are lucky the winged one before you is clever. You may both remain," the ancient myth said to both at once.

Another horned female approached, and at her answer, the sphinx's expression shifted to a sad, slight frown. "Immortality is a myth, and such bastardized longevity a curse. Perhaps one day you will be worthy, but it is not this day."

The spotted male that came after answered 'spirit', and the lavender-eyed creature considered this silently for a time. It was a somewhat unique answer, to be sure. A spirit did not exist until a mortal was born; it was never seen, could not be seen, and reaching another's soul, connecting with another soul, was a common pastime that these short-lived creatures strove for. And was it not the magic within her soul that she was seeking to give away? Interesting. "I accept your answer. You may remain," the sphinx purred within his mind.

Finally, the last to come forth smelled of booze and looked as if had been in one too many drunken brawls - yet his was the answer that was utterly and wholly correct. Never wise to count out those who seemed least likely to succeed, she surmised. "Correct. You may remain."

Now, she spoke to the minds of all who stood before her; all who were still vying to be most worthy for her gift. "I am greater than your winged divines and viler than your most debased demons. Your most opulent need me, while your destitute already possess me. But beware - for if you consume me, you shall perish. What am I?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who were eliminated in round 1:

Sikeax
Abishia
Agrona

Those who answered correctly and were safe:
Alysanne
Delinne
Rostislav

Those who remain:
@[Kahlua]
@[Merida]
@[Alysanne]
@[Delinne]
@[Ciceron]
@[Rostislav]

Those who answered correctly were safe from elimination. All others were subjected to a dice roll, and those who rolled an even number were eliminated.

Round 2 begins now. All who remain, you have 72 hours to answer the second riddle.

darknightoftroy

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
As so many more gathered around her, Kahlua was more than delighted to see her friend Aly there among the group. She hadn't even known Aly had been traveling this way, but she wished she would have as adventures were always more fun with a friend in tow. Nickering softly, marveling at how easily Aly seemed to give an answer that made so much sense, the queen bounced happily over to her friend and reached out to nuzzle her neck in warm greeting. None of the others seemed familiar to the queen so she contented herself with waiting near her friend as the rest came to give their answers.

It amazed the queen that the sphinx could speak to her in her head the first time, and when it happened again the Sunshower could not help but be delighted. She would not have been so delighted if the sphinx had told her she was wrong, but that did not happen. The paint was reaffirmed in her beliefs that peace was the correct answer to most things and hummed softly while the sphinx took her time answering everyone else with words that were unknown and unheard to Kahlua.

In time, new words flooded the girl's mind and she looked to Aly as they were spoken, wondering if her friend was hearing the same things. But as soon as the sphinx was done speaking, the queen stomped her hoof into the ground and raised her head defiantly. Nothing! she shouted in her mind. Nothing is greater than the gods! She more or less ignored the rest of the riddle, so caught up in the ridiculous notion that anything could be greater than the divines that ruled this land. The queen, though childish, was devoted to the deities.

However, after her sudden outburst in her head, the queen wondered if the sphinx could read her thoughts the same way that she could speak into them. The queen frowned but decided that it was too late to change her mind. If the sphinx had heard her, then she would surely be eliminated from this game. Although, she was sure she would be eliminated anyways, for defying the sphinx with such fervor. “Nothing,” she murmured, disappointed in herself for reacting without thinking, perhaps just loud enough for Aly, of all the mortals, to hear. Hopefully the sphinx had better hearing.

[Magic: Earth x Shock | Can infuse rocks with electricity to create permanent light sources from them]
Prior Refusals: #1, #2, #3
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Standing with Kahlua at her side, the game of riddles did not seem quite as daunting as it had when she first arrived. Maybe it was the infectious attitude of the bubbly mare – but it certainly felt more like a game with her dear friend. Though she didn’t understand why they were playing this game – perhaps it would come in time! It seemed that many were told to leave but among those that were allowed to stay were the two painted mares.

She nodded in response to Kahlua’s look, a smile showing that they were hearing the voice at the same time. Another riddle! She felt lucky about the last one and wondered whether she would be quick enough for this new challenge. The mention of demons sent a chill through Alysanne, one she did not quite understand but which was peppered with a flicker of a memory she did not know she had. But she could not chase it now… or rather, she would not. The rest of the riddle would not wait for her to wonder why the word ‘demon’ had been a trigger. She wondered about poisons but realized that would only fit with the last bit.

What then could kill you if you ate it? Well, if you didn’t eat anything… But Alysanne felt unsure about saying ‘nothing’ in response. It felt like a trick.

Doubt was shed when she heard the whisper-soft voice of her friend at her side speaking the same thing as what had been bouncing around her mind. A smile appeared once more in those summer-green eyes – surely it was a good sign that they both came up with the same answer! Not speaking the answer first did not bother the black and white pegasus; if not coming up with something original would count against her she did not mind – but she would eagerly take the opportunity to use her thoughts to back up her friend. “I think Kahlua is correct, you are ‘nothing’.” She spoke softly and apologetically, of course not thinking that the creature before them was nothing - it was just an unfortunate set up of words.

please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Some part of him had been expecting to be turned away in the first round with how little his mind seemed to be functioning as of lately, but he was pleasantly surprised with the resounding purr that echoed through his mind. Dipping his head briefly in thanks to the sphinx before him he remained along with the select others that had been chosen, awaiting further instruction. Kiara had sat down beside him almost transfixed on the beauty of the creature that in a way resembled others of her species, well not the part of the wings or the delicate features of its face. He could feel the puzzlement that went through her mind as she tried to figure out the solution to the next riddle that the wise creature set forth to them.

Answers came quickly from two of the mare's that remained but he could not see that nothing was an appropriate answer, surely there had to be more too it than that. What was greater than the gods themselves yet so much worse than the demons of hell? Thinking about each fragment separately he tried to come up with a reasonable guess. Ok maybe that would work but did it fit the next portion he mused silently as a answer came to mind. The well off needed this but those lower down already had this. It just might fit this as well as the last sentence. "Are you Desire?"
He responded liking his unique answer as opposed to the one both mares gave.

Yes he felt confident with that answer, desire could be a powerful motivator but it could also lead to one's downfall, he knew all too well what that felt like. Those who had everything needed the desire to continue their path of destruction but those who had less desired to live a better life. It was kind of like letting power go to your head, focus too strongly on one thing and it would destroy you without a second thought.

Ciceron talks
Ciceron thinks
Kiara speaks

Ciceron is wishing for
Magic: [Water X Fire] manipulate a fire of freezing temperatures, which would be capable of freezing the target with ice burns that are more severe than normal burns. Flames are immune to water due to special proprieties, and can even freeze water.

Wishlist

One previous denial: Here

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Delinne Posts: 232
Hidden Falls Curiosus II
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Dezba :: Black Jaguar :: Stormcall Ina
We watched as the hybrid creature judged every single one who had arrived - oh, there was Rosti! - and when she looked at me, I looked back, curious to see if I was right. "A dangerous thing, to rely on the supposed wisdom of another. You are lucky the winged one before you is clever. You may both remain." I raised a brow at her, but didn't make any comments that I would regret. Instead, I complained to Dezba.
'Blah blah blah... This thing just keeps talking. Can't she hand out whatever it wants to hand out?' 'Quiet. Keep playing.' That was exactly what she was doing to us - playing, keeping our brains active with riddles that she could solve her-damn-self. Then she came with the next riddle. "I am greater than your winged divines and viler than your most debased demons. Your most opulent need me, while your destitute already possess me. But beware - for if you consume me, you shall perish. What am I?" Uhm, what now?

As always though, I didn't have to wonder for very long before Dezba started to think as well. 'Opulent rich. Destitute... Poor. If you consume, death.' I looked down at her, confused. She had easyfied the riddle for me. 'Your most rich needs me, your poor already has me... If you consume me, you'll die.' My gaze wandered to the eyes of the ancient hybrid, curiously observing it. It was strange - and I had never seen anything like her before in my life. As I parted my lips, I felt the doubt haunting me in the back of my mind but I still said it.

"It's nothing. If you consume nothing, you die." The two other mares had already replied with the same answer - the painted ones - and the dappled stallion had said "Desire." Doubt in my eyes, I turned my head to my bonded who shook her head. 'Answer is nothing.'

"Talking"
'Thinking'
'Dezba talking'
Words: 320
Tags:
OOC: Delinne wishes for,
[Magic: Water x Shock | Ability to charge the body's water with electricity to slowly create pain for the opponent. ]
:: [Restrictions | Lasts for about 30 seconds, leaves the feeling that you have been cooked alive afterwards. Demands eye-contact with the opponent. ]
Wishlist
delinne
Image Credit
Code by Sevin
[Image: 23hlgsp.png]
We will always be a team, no matter what.
Remember?

Please tag Delinne in all posts. Attacking is not allowed without my permission.
Want to meet Delinne? Post in this thread c:

No one else arrives after me. That's not too surprising. I'm slow to the game so being the last one makes sense. Damaris has quieted down, and I wonder if the catlady spoke to her through some sort of.. animal mind speak. Or something. She backs up and sits between my legs. I look down at her lovingly, momentarily forgetting those around us. Her black coat shines in the sunlight that comes down through the canopy, the neon green bright against the dark. Her glowing eyes, instead of bothering me, are comforting. Maybe it is because we both have funky eyes.

I turn my attention back to the sphinx, and just as I do, I hear her voice in my head. My eyes widen a little - I wasn't expecting that. Honestly.. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Cocking my head to the side, I frown, even though her news is good. I seem to be the only one who got the riddle correct... Well fuck ya!! I'd do a victory dance but I don't want to trample Damaris, and she seems so comfortable where she is. A few have been dismissed, though I'm not sure how many. Though others had different answers from myself, the catlady seems to have been okay to let them stay. Now she presents another riddle to us.

Gods, evil things, rich peeps and poor peeps. . The Commies have taught me a thing or two about this and the answer comes easily. The Commies in Mother Russia are all about sharing equally among the people.. which.. maybe sounds good but doesn't really work out. Rich people have everything poor people have nothing. Nothing.. what rich people don't want... nothing.. eeeeeviler than evil shit.. greater than gods.. Nothing is greater than the gods. Well shit that fits. After two mares speak.. the painted one is named Kahlua.. and confirm my suspicion. "Nothing." It comes out more like a grunt than a happy resolution of the riddle. I cough, trying to cover up the gruffness. Don't mean to be.. er.. rude.. or whatever. Those claws look ouchie.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Merida
Chase the Wind and Touch the Sky

I was wrong, but the creature allowed me to stay. I guess my childish answer got me through after all. Miles gently nuzzles my neck, his eyes carefully studying those that remained. There was only six of us left, including me. All of the sudden, the creature was speaking in my mind again, in yet another riddle. "I am greater than your winged divines and viler than your most debased demons. Your most opulent need me, while your destitute already possess me. But beware - for if you consume me, you shall perish. What am I?" Okay, we can do this. I have to get it right this time, or i'll be sent packing just like the other three were. What is greater than the Gods.... Nothing. What is viler than the worst demons? Nothing... I do not understand what opulent or destitute mean... But if you consume nothing you die...

It was only then the answer of the big strange stallion caught my attention. Oh no! What if I am the last to answer?! Oh well, hopefully he and I and everyone else that says this is right.... If not, I don't know what i'll do. "If you do not eat, you die.... So, I say it's nothing." I glanced around, before looking at Miles. I just want to win, so that I can make like better for us. I've been weak for to long. It's time I act like the big sister to him and protect him better.... Maybe after this I will follow someone home or something.... Or just wander around until I find us a home....

"blah blah blah."

Wishlist
Earth x Wind | can create sand-structures that will not fall apart under non-battle condition
or
Dark x Water | Can pull water from another's blood, causing dehydration

Please Tag Merida in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Merida at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Helovian Ancient

All but one answered the riddle correctly, and the sphinx felt a moment of pity for the stallion whose answer fell short of the mark. It was thoughtful, creative, but wrong. Perhaps some other time, some other day he would be worthy of a magic someone else had to offer, but she could not suffer a second failure.

It was not in her nature.

So it was to the almost reptilian-pelted stallion she spoke mentally first, her voice soft as she dared. "I am sorry, light one, but I cannot bestow my gift to you." Her eyes met his, apology in her lavender pools, before she moved on.

To the minds of the painted mare, and her friend, a simple denial. "You were separate before you noticed each other. A friend's counsel is not always the wisest. I cannot bestow my gift upon one who would forego inner wisdom for the influence of another so easily," the ancient creature said, her words clear but not delivered harshly. Both mares had good qualities within themselves, but they too easily came together and lost bits of themselves in doing so. At least for this test. She could not judge beyond these moments she observed.

The female unicorn with the feline was her next recipient of rejection. "Your pride is far too great, your impatience a beacon to your desperate need for inner growth. A child whines petulantly when a task takes too long; an adult suffers with the knowledge of reward at the end of a lengthy, arduous labor - of which this is neither." She would not reward a sense of self-importance.

The two that had answered last in this round of riddling, the mystical creature elected to allow one more chance to prove their worth. The drunkard of a male seemed to possess a strange amount of spot-on self-assessment, while the young female with the fox creature was motivated by the desire for betterment. These qualities were two the sphinx could offer her magic to. In both of their minds, she spoke.

"Only you two remain. I pose to you now a question that is only a riddle if you do not know yourself well: Why are you worthy?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who were eliminated in Round 2:

Kahlua
Alysanne
Ciceron
Delinne

Those who remain:

Rostislav
Merida

Ciceron was the only to answer incorrectly, thus resulting in elimination. Everyone else was subjected to a dice roll, and those who rolled an odd number were eliminated. Prior refusals were not taken into account in the second roll, as it was deemed to be too much of an advantage to include them repeatedly.

As two remain, the winner will be decided purely by dice roll for complete random fairness.

Round 3 begins now. You have 72 hours from now to respond.

darknightoftroy

Merida

We all waited in complete silence for a long time. I shifted back and forth, Miles crawled around on my back. Was she no longer speaking to me? Had I gotten something wrong yet again and this time was being dismissed? No, this can't be happening. I need this, to help Miles... We can't continue to struggle, to just run and hide... We just can't. If I lose, we will have to find a home... A safe place to hide. I glance at Miles who is still pacing back and forth on my back. Suddenly he froze.

Then, I heard her. Or should I say we heard her. The big hairy stallion and I had made it through! We were the only ones left! Miles isn't this great!? We've almost made it. He nuzzled my neck in answer. But now the creature lady wanted to know why I am worthy. Why am I worthy of whatever she is going to bestow to one of us? Why am I worthy of such a special gift? I glance to Miles, thinking. What did I want above anything else? To be able to protect Miles of course. He's my baby brother... I suddenly find myself speaking to the creature lady. "Alone, I am not worthy. I'm just a mere filly with a fox... But I seek a way to protect him... Which I hope in your eyes will make me worthy. He's my life, my everything. I would do anything to protect him better. " I sigh softly, looking to Miles again and ending my short speech. "He's my baby brother, my best and only friend. I can't lose him. Please.... Help me keep him safe..." I was almost in tears as I turn to look back at the creature lady. It was all up to her now.

"Talking"

quote quote quote quote quote
Image Credit

Please Tag Merida in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Merida at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

I watch, dumbfounded, as the other horses leave, with just myself and the young palomino filly and her fox left behind. Damaris pants and wags her tail, then licks my leg affectionately. I gasp in pain and look down with a frown. She stops licking, looking at the sizzling hairs on my leg, but keeps wagging her tail. I'm sure she'd be apologetic if she wasn't so excited. Not that I blame her, I feel excitement burn in my veins as well. This filly and I are the only ones left with the sphinx. I turn my attention back to the hybrid creature just as she speaks again in my mind. I wonder if Damaris hears her as well.

Why are you worthy?

Well shit. There are two different paths for which I could answer this question. I could give the first answer which comes to mind.. which is that I'm awesome, the Legatus, a virile, tough stallion. But that is the superficial, simple answer. A question that is only a riddle if you do not know yourself well. Something I feel that I know myself too well. Why am I worthy? Because I will fight to defend those I love and those I cherish. I am strong of heart and strong of body. I want to defend myself and protect others. I look down at Damaris between my feet. Though Damaris will soon be able to protect herself, she can't yet. She is my beloved. I want to protect her and those that I am sworn to protect. Sure I have hooves and horns and teeth. But magic provides an upper hand that I would be a fool to not want. I am worthy because though I am a drunk, I am true of heart.

"I am a fighter, strong of spirit and heart. I am worthy of this precious magic because I will use it to protect myself and those I love."

I look at the filly. The words she has spoken are also true, and would make her worthy in my eyes. She feels about her bonded as I feel about mine. Though I don't consider Damaris to be a sibling, but more a child, a ward. I would protect her with my life.

Text text text.
"Words words words."
Tag: @[Random Event], @[Merida]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread