the Rift

[OPEN] What Comes Out in the Thaw

Varath Posts: 45
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.0 hh :: 3 Years HP: 63.5 | Buff: ENDURE
redgod
V A R A T H
What do they do with your soul? Is it just lying there, busted?

Spring. Always hailed as such a beautiful season, full of life and blooming newness. Varath hated spring. All it accomplished was reminding him of the self-deceit he practiced every day.

In winter, the land was covered with a blanket of snow, the pristine white giving no purchase for those who wished to discover what lay beneath. Spring's thaw melted the carefully placed outer coat and revealed the treacherous bones that held up the skin: craggy rocks and dangerous pitfalls. Root snags and snares. Everything that was ugly and threatening about the world came to light, no longer covered by the soft, velvety blanket of cool white.

What was he, in spring? Did the thaw open him up to others, make them see what was inside of him, what he loathed and wanted so desperately to purge every moment of every day? No. They did not know. They could never know. He had forsaken that part of him long ago and could not come back from such a pact.

The sun shined down on his young but mature and muscular form and he turned his silver eye away from its penetrating rays. Symbolic, he thought ruefully. Since he had returned from his grandsire's land, Varath had finally been accepted into the Basin by none other than Deimos himself. The memory still brought both pleasure and pain to his senses. It was ironic, really, that now that he was here, it was almost...anticlimactic. As a child he had expected there to be daily crusades against the hornless filth, a constant war waged on those who were not worthy to hold land.

The Basin seemed to be much calmer than that. As it always had been, most likely, he thought, looking back on his younger self with some amusement. Immaturity was freeing, in a way. Truth and knowledge was a fetter, despite what they said.

But lately he had heard ruminations about a rival group, this...Regime...and it the young stallion's skin crawling with disgust - both sincere and forcibly manufactured. Unicorns and equines working together to accomplish an invasion of the Basin? Such unicorns were a disgrace to their bloodline and should be obliterated from the annals of history!

Such were the thoughts of a young, conflicted stallion as he gazed into the Basin lake, his body motionless while his mind contorted every which way.

----------------------------------------------------
OOC: Open to anyone who would like to help me get a feel for Varath! I would appreciate any help! If you've met him prior and reply in this thread, please make a note of it for me; I've begun reading through his past posts but I'm still not all sure of exactly what he's done/who he's met. Thank you!

"talk."

exc.hu

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK the ENGINEER

Ulrik lifted his gaze from his place of work, looking out at the never-freezing lake. He furrowed his brows. The last time he had seen the dark gray had been when they were heading to war. How long had it been? While it was unlike the Engineer to forget, it wasn't like him to remember either - especially about trivial things. The boy did not seem like a boy anymore, and his body was fit in a way that called attention. He looked to Kirchoff, and the hellhound looked up, shrugging. The wolf-creature did not remember.

The Engineer thought he had an inkling of a memory. Was the the boy who had followed Deimos around the Basin? Hm. He had grown, then.

In a way that could only be considered kind, for the Engineer, he strode forward, coming to stand beside the gray who was nearly his same height. As he gazed at his own reflection, Ulrik had no inward thoughts about his appearance. He was who he was and that was not changing. There was no reason to get obsessed over a mole on his nose or the fact that his beard was unruly. Torleik had managed to keep his very neatly braided. Ulrik just didn't give a fuck.

"Welcome back," the Engineer rumbled, shifting his bronze orbs from looking below to the side. He glanced at the crimson and silver stare of the stallion, thinking that he was chilling in appearance. Ulrik was glad that he had come back. More in the ranks meant more structure to the broken universe. Unicorns, once more, could rule.

They had never been formally introduced. Just in passing, maybe a herd meeting, had they seen each other. Ulrik moved to remedy that now. "I am Ulrik," he said. "I have seen you before. What is your name?" Was he like me? Did he too see the winged and hornless vermin who crawled upon this earth as inferior?

Credits: Image by LyrebirdBlue @ DA

(Please tag me in every post)

Liit Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
every day the gods are flipping coins

She had wandered for some time after she had met with Lena, disappearing into the chilly eaves of the Basin and becoming little more than a silvery-white whisper that saw things from the sidelines. She had been careful to watch the others, warned off quick socializing by the sour experience with the painted filly some days ago, but she had found there to be nothing abnormal or monstrous about the horses in the Basin. Some were more rough around the edges than others, and most were not very abnormal at all.

What she had seen, so far, had been enough to lure her out in the open, to enjoy the brief spurts of spring sunshine and to linger a little closer to the others than she had previously. That day the sun shone, but it was a gentle sort of shining, not meant to scorch or burn, but to remind the habitants of the chilly land that spring was indeed here, and they could see its glory in the outer lands where, no doubt, spring had pressed it’s full weight down on Helovia.

As she wandered through the Basin, she spotted the grey stallion first, standing alone the edge of the still lake, staring out into nothingness. It was his stillness that pulled her towards him, the quietness of the scene in which he stood and the lack of other strangers. One stranger at a time, she could easily manage, she surmised. Yet, before she could manage to find a spot near the stallion, another appeared, moving closer and speaking, leaving the pale mare to stand out in the open staring at them and looking somewhat silly as she tried to figure out what to do. Deciding that she had, perhaps, already been spotted and that it would be rude to turn tail and run off into the shadows, Liit started to inch forward at a slow pace.

The horned mare tried to look casual, or relaxed, even, as she settled herself a little off to the side of where the two stood, the dark and the grey, and there she watched them for a moment or two before speaking up with a short greeting. “Hello.

OOC: Thought I'd toss Liit in in hopes of getting her some character development as well XD hope that's okay!

<style type="text/css">#liitluv p::first-letter { padding-left: 20px; font-family: 'Cinzel Decorative', 'cursive'; font-size: 16px; color: #323627; line-height: 90%; }</style>

redgod
V A R A T H

Varath heard the approach of another but he did not bother to look immediately; he was a unicorn in the Basin - what threat did others pose to him here? Besides, did he really want company at this point in time?

No, was forever the answer, but a want and a need were different things, this Varath knew. So he turned his dual-colored gaze to the approaching stallion, recognizing the shaggy, rugged male from somewhere in the past. He did not know his name, but this one had been around years ago when he was but a child. Comforting to know that some were fixtures here, at least. Like Deimos.

The shaggy beast spoke, welcoming him back and stating his name as Ulrik.

Ulrik.

That was a name he had heard passed around before, though until now he had yet to meet the infamous engineer. Respectfully, though cool, the younger male dipped his head in greeting. "Your welcome is appreciated, Ulrik. I am Varath," he stated, considering the usefulness of adding that he was of the Crimson King's line, but finding little impetus to share such a detail at the present moment. He did not think he had something to prove to the engineer. Not yet.

Movement in his peripheral vision caught his eye and Varath turned his head, seeing a dual-horned, white female a slight distance away. His face showed little expression to indicate whether he was pleased or displeased at her arrival; only when his gaze rested on her horns did his visage seem to soften just a fraction. Like the male in front of him, this woman also had two horns - but two more impressive horns than Ulrik. A sliver of jealousy ran through Varath's blood, thinking how much blood he would have to spill to be worthy of two horns instead of the one he had barely inherited with his filthy lineage as it was.

She spoke a simple greeting then, and Varath inclined his head towards her as well. "Hello," he returned. "I have not met you before. You are?"

@[Ulrik]
@[Liit]

exc.hu

ULRIK the ENGINEER

The black beast nodded when the boy thanked him, and his mad, bronze eyes watched carefully when he said his own name. Varath. Strong. Dark. Ulrik decided to take it upon himself to be a mentor of sorts - not that he would be a good one. At the very least he could instruct Varath on how to be a politely, quiet racist asshole, but as for battles? Torleik would be better at that, or even Deimos.

His thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of another, someone new. The large stallion looked over his shoulder at her, blinking his wild orbs. She was pretty, in her own way. Two, spiraled horns sat upon her brow, and her coat was white with a few patches of dark here and there. Obviously, she was here for Varath, or she would not have stopped. Ulrik smiled a little to himself and took a step back away from the gray.

Varath was well spoken, at least and not flustered, and Ulrik was impressed. He watched them compare hellos and saw the way she had inched forward. The engineer could have left, but he decided that it would be much more fun and entertaining to observer the conversation from close by. "Where have you been, Varath?" he asked casually. Though, he did wonder where the gray had gone in his brief absence from the Basin.

The gray with the red hair was very difficult to miss.

Unregistered

She imagined that, compared to the other two stallions who all but towered over her rather slight frame, she would be considered meek and shy. A small part of her, the part that had yearned for an existence within a herd, a home and perhaps a family, was upset at her inability to immediately connect with others. Yet the other part of her, the large part that had fled from her home at such a young age and found her wandering for so many years, was completely tolerant of her standing almost awkwardly to the side of the two stallions, silently commending her for her bravery in approaching them.

Liit listens quietly as the stallion’s speak, and having managed to catch the name of the dark stallion before she had joined them, she suddenly felt included in the conversation as the red-maned stallion addresses her, pulling her into their previously private meeting. Taking only a moment to blink and ponder whether she had seen either of the two stallions before, she concluded both of them were strangers that she had yet to see wandering across the vast, cold expanse of the Basin and answered. “No, we haven’t met. My name is Liit.” Her voice is still soft, but now she has offered a little more strength- a little more confidence with it, now that she was certain she would not be run off by either of the two stallions.

As Ulrik steps back, as if to give Liit and Varath some space, she turns to him for a moment with a quizzical look in her eyes, wondering if perhaps he was uncomfortable in the presence of women, as it seemed most of the men she had met here were lacking in some aspect of social niceties. Though she had to admit, while she had originally been pulled towards the grey stallion because of his solitude, he was in fact one of the more visually pleasing males she had met while here in Helovia, even if the dark stallion had rather impressive horns and an intricate design traced up his left shoulder that made him interesting to look at. As the black questions Varath, she feels as though they had something in common, and that perhaps the red-maned stallion too had wandered for a time before returning to settle. “You have travelled?” She asks with a curious light in her eyes, thinking that he too had found pleasure in meandering across the earth.

@[Varath]
<style type="text/css">#liitluv p::first-letter { padding-left: 20px; font-family: 'Cinzel Decorative', 'cursive'; font-size: 16px; color: #323627; line-height: 90%; }</style>

redgod
V A R A T H

Varath felt surprisingly peaceful as this interaction with the other two progressed. Perhaps it was because he felt he knew himself better than the last time he was in the Basin, or perhaps it was because he has simply learned to keep a center even in the most frustrating of situations. Either way, it was almost as if he was speaking outside of himself, experiencing outside of his own body as he conversed with Ulrik the Engineer and this mare who had introduced herself as Liit.

He felt and watched the large Ulrik move aside and raised a brow silently at the engineer, wondering why he was obviously facilitating their interaction. Ulrik didn't seem the matchmaking type; he didn't seem one to give two shits about such things. Maybe he assumed that since it was spring, their hormones would be gushing forth and would force them to smash their bodies together and copulate.

Varath was not currently interested in that sort of...entanglement. But, surprisingly, Ulrik breaks the silence and asks where he's been - this question followed by Liit's inquiry as to his having traveled. "Traveled indeed," he spoke. "I returned to my grandfather's homeland of Dorngarrow for a time. When I felt my stay there...sufficient...I made my way back to Helovia," the young stallion answered truthfully, but close to the chest. Broadcasting his reasons for why was not a wise thing to do. There could always be disapproving ears about.

His silver and crimson gaze passing between the white female and the black stallion, Varath contemplated the dichotomy of their appearance and, concurrently, the dichotomy of life. Either you were tolerant, or you weren't. Either you accepted others, or you didn't. The funny thing was, most were like Liit's pelt - white, with dark spots. No one was pure. No one was clean. Everyone had their dark little secrets they'd love to keep hidden and buried.

"What has transpired in the Basin since my departure?" he queried of the Engineer, settling his attention on the bronze-marked male once more.

@[Ulrik]
@[Liit]

"talk."

exc.hu

ULRIK the ENGINEER

Ulrik was not a matchmaker by any means, but he was an engineer. Engineers liked to create things and place objects in situations and watch them react. Maybe that was why he stepped aside, his body language allowing the little, meek mouse a chance to be in the conversation. She irritated the fuck out of him, and he wanted to bite her hard across the back and demand some confidence, like his father once had. That would be ineffective though, and may only serve to send her deeper into her little, snail's shell.

The dark beast answered the boy's brow raise with a simple smirk of his own, bronze eyes glittering with a mad delight. He would let Varath in on the fact that this was a little game, an experiment. So, he asked him a question, legitimately wondering about the answer.

Varath should have been a diplomat. He answered just enough of the question to be forthcoming but still managed to say nothing of relevance. Impressive. Perhaps he should mention him to Illynx about taking on such a roll, but the thought of seeking out the seductive mare was rather frightening. He wasn't sure he could handle another bout of her demanding hormones.

"I am not sure when you left, exactly," Ulrik said. "Deimos is lead now along with Illynx. Farenjer and I are crafters, and I have engineered the sentinel at the gates. Lena is the healer since d'Artagnan stepped down. Now, I believe his personally chosen title is judgmental bitch." Ulrik grumbled slightly before glancing at Liit. He should apologize. He didn't.

"My cousin, Torleik, is the general, and there has been talk of some sort of dispute with another band. We tried to invade two of the other herds, but it was a bitter disappointment and a clusterfuck of utter failure." Ulrik's anger was palpable on that point as well. He snorted bitterly. "You have returned to a rather lazy bunch, I admit. We need something important to make us great again."

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
There is a small gathering occurring along the borders of the lake, normally disinteresting as the water was the usual place for friends and family to gather and discuss life, politics, and philosophy. What makes this group interesting is in part due to the presence of the dark Engineer, a man whom she finds alluring for no real reason other than it is how she feels when she looks upon him; the group is also intriguing because she does not know the names of the other two present, something that she finds a shameful quality in a Lady who prides herself on her socialization skills and being able to name any one soul in her home at a moments mention.

That, and one of the company present is a woman, and a pretty one at that; a long look is cast onto her from a distance, sizing up the entire situation in a moment and sweeping over on long, gold dipped legs with her broad, fat belly swaying with each step, golden back gleaming in the light of the afternoon, ears pricked forward and a soft smile stitched into her features. Though she feels slightly jealous of the not exponentially stretched waist of the other woman present, she is careful to let none of it show in her cool and proud demeanor, no degree lost to the height of her crown or grace discarded in her step.

It seems she has come into the conversation late, catching the words, ”Lena is the healer since d’Artagnan stepped down…”, the rest hitting her as she comes to a halt alongside the father of the child within her, his next words drawing from her a forcefully choked back heave of laughter, a single peel of delight breaking into a hard gagging sound as she looks over at the Engineer with a glimmer of humor in her eyes and her smile changed from friendly to slightly apologetic as her gaze moves to the other two in the company. Holding her tongue for the time being, she listens as Ulrik grunts disapprovingly of the Nightshade and continues on into other herd matters, quickly understanding that this is a run down of things that have come to pass.

His last words sting, she admits such, but her pride is as immovable as ever and so is her mask, golden eyes looking softly at the mad Wildman as she ponders what he has said. It is true; perhaps that is why it hurts so badly to hear it spoken aloud. While her darling had failed in many ways, she had kept her hounds entertained; Illynx was too preoccupied building pretty statues and eating more grass than she had seemingly devoured in the entirety of last year to cause worry and panic among the hornless and unworthy. Either way, she had other plans, slow to evolve, and she was loathe to stir up the pit of vipers once more when there was a chance to drop a bomb in and end it all with one fell swoop.

If only she might find the blueprints for said bomb…

"Again?" she chooses, "we are still better off than most, Ulrik. The great Qian is broken and without their wretched Dragonqueen while we can still boast the sour attitude of our old and cantankerous fellows." Her brow arches with good humor as she looks long and thoughtfully at the Weaver, feeling her own age suddenly in that statement and all the years that had defined it; surely, they had lost much of their luster, but it was not all gone, and she honestly felt as if she herself had never shined more brightly as she did now. Perhaps that was where her entire plan had gone wrong – it never involved anyone’s feelings on the matter other than her own.

Turning her attentions to the others present, she lets her eyes linger on the young male for a while, remembering him from distant memories as a much smaller and darker child who had ghosted the tail of Deimos while the Reaper had still been the commander of their forces. It hadn’t ever really crossed her mind that he had left – she had never known him, and too many came and went for her to truly bother keeping track of more than those who were in front of her – but it was nice to know that there was home enough here in the mountains for the boy that he had come back from wherever he had been.

Those details did not matter, after all – he was here now, and Illynx enjoys thriving in the present rather than dwelling on the obscure details of the past. Would he answer them honestly, anyway? For what reason would he owe any of them the truth?

"I am Illynx, Lady of the Lazy Bores," she smiles graciously, her sharp words intended more for the impulsive, easily disgruntled Engineer who liked to rip apart the structure of things and leave it in pieces for someone else to clean up (the Lord Deimos disaster, anyone?), "I welcome you to our flop house."

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
TORLEIK
Long is the winter of a man's soul

Much as Illynx had been drawn to this little gathering by Ulrik, though for far less obsessive and fixated reasons, Torleik noted his cousin by two unicorns he had not seen before prior to this moment.

That, and Illynx was fat with child. Brows furrowing, eyes narrowed suspiciously at this development, the Bloodskald approached the group in time to hear Ulrik stating that his cousin was General of this place. One of these unicorns must have been new, then, but the rabicano hadn't the slightest idea which.

His gaze fell to the female first, white and dual-horned as she was, thinking she was quite pretty in her own sort of taciturn way. The young stallion demanded his attention next not due to his size (which was about Ulrik's), or his coloring, which was interesting, but the heterochromatic nature of his eyes.

Only one other had eyes like that, that he knew of: Ophelia.

A strange kind of nausea slinked up his esophagus before slithering back down and settling in his gut. Was this one of her offspring, perhaps? Everyone seemed to be surrounded by pregnancy and children at this time of year - Lady of the Basin included. Which offended him on principle, due to Illynx's nature.

Sidling up next to her, between her and his cousin, Torleik's gaze jabbed pointedly to her fat sides. "Seems all the women in this place can't keep hold of themselves," he murmured, so low only she could hear. "What poor soul did you seduce?" That she was with child was not offensive to him; that he knew fairly easily she was incapable of loving anyone the way they would deserve to be loved, save perhaps for her precious Psyche, offended him.

Thus whomever she'd manipulated to impregnate her, he felt sorry for. They would be tied to this sociopathic, self-absorbed female by manner of their weakness.

A frown pursed his lips. It was weakness. He knew that all too well, with his recent brush with near-fatherhood.

It occurred to him that perhaps he was being too judgemental of those around him, of Brisa's choice in behavior, of Illynx's faults, of the general idiocy he felt surrounded him - but he decided that was not the case. He was raised to believe horses were meant to act certain ways within their community, and when they did not act in those ways, judgement could be passed.

Oh how the Viking wished they had a Thing here so that the Basin may gather and offer up their offenses to the Lord and Lady and have all quarrels settled, criminals punished, fools corrected. Irelyn, perched on his shoulder, was gazing longingly at Illynx's gilded pelt and a flash of irritation shot through the dual-horned demon.

"Do not let her beauty fool you, Irelyn. Beauty fades. It is substance that counts," he snapped in his head, earning a surprised trill from his bonded. He had never snapped at her like that before and she was hurt by his anger. The poor youngling could not understand the the basis of Torleik's ire towards everyone right now was anger at himself and his own foolishness with Brisa.

Finally bringing his attention back to the larger gathering, and seeing that they had been speaking to the young stallion, Torleik raised his chin briefly in a sign of acknowledgment. "I am Torleik, the Basin General Ulrik spoke of," he said simply. "I can assure you, none of my soldiers will be counted amongst the ranks of lazy in this place," he added, muttering dourly and falling silent thereafter. He wasn't here for this young one. He was here for his cousin, and that was that.

Others be damned.

"talk talk talk"
'Mental talking'
Thoughts

Credits: Image by Flowering Fatality @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Unregistered

They seemed to come in droves now. A younger, more frightful Liit would have found herself carefully dismissing herself, intimidated by the sheer size of the horses around her and the fact that they all wore some form of weaponry mounted upon their brows. This found Varath and the golden flecked mare as the least intimidating amongst the group, despite her ability to command attention and the air about her that was both regal, and powerful.

She almost felt like a sheep among wolves, so small and afraid in this new land. Though they were friendly enough, mostly ignoring her and conversing amongst themselves (a small blessing, she silently conceded to herself as another stallion joined their group), Liit would be certain to be polite and, if her reputation served her well, a quiet wallflower that did little more than watch from the sidelines.

First though, as Illynx introduces herself as the first newest addition to their little gathering, the pale mare turns towards her, thinking to thank her for the welcome before the General speaks up, now plunging Liit into what seemed to be a hushed or restrained political conversation consisting of thoughts and opinions that needed to be ironed out by word of mouth. She starts to feel a sort of curiosity bubbling up from her gut, and returns her gaze to Ulrik. “Why do you say that?” Perhaps she was prodding a little too much, what with Torleik’s announcement that he was the sort of hand to whip the soldiers of the Basin into fighting shape.

It was curiosity and the need to drink in more knowledge of this place that had goaded her into questioning the stallion with the golden tattoos. While Torleik had brought with him an air of disdain that seemed to bleed through the air and permeate the group, Liit could think of nothing more but to question why one of the higher ranked beasts of the Basin seemed to think so lowly of his herd and home.

Esther Posts: 26
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: Four Years Buff: NOVICE
Emily

Esther
Queen of the Stars

Today, I am out exploring the boarders of the herd I call home. After all, how can I even think to be a good soldier if I do not know where my home begins and the lands outside end? I think I am learning fast, even if I have not met many of my herd mates yet. That is another task I need to get on. Because of course outside of smelling like the Basin, how am I to tell who is friend and who is foe?

It's while I am running around and learning myself that my aqua eyes spy a small gathering. I stop, watching from a distance at first. Most of those gathered I do not know by name, a few by sight alone from the herd meeting we had not to long ago. The Lady of the Basin has arrived as well, her sides rounded with a baby. Oh, babies! I just love little ones! I had always been the babysitter for the other mares when they were scouting ahead to see if it was safe.

I find myself starting to step closer and closer, wanting to know what is being said. I was leaving the boarders farther and farther behind in favor for the small gathering. I finally give in, picking up a light trot to join the group. I arrive right as a mare who is smaller than I am is questioning one of the many stallions gathered here. I place myself beside her, not yet speaking. After all, I didn't just want to butt in with my name. That would be rude. My name could wait until I am asked or the chance to speak it is given otherwise.

"blah blah blah."

ooc - corrupt away!

[Image: 538046fbcc311]
Please Tag Esther in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Esther at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

redgod
V A R A T H
We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.

Ulrik, it seemed, was highly dissatisfied with the state of the Basin at the current time. Had things really changed so much while he had been gone? Varath wondered. The Engineer explained that Deimos - who the young, heterochromatic-orbed stallion noticed quite clearly was absent from this gathering - had become lead, along with Illynx. Varath remembered both from before, though Illynx less so simply because his childish mind had been obsessed with and covetous of Deimos' sheer existence.

Now, in retrospect, such a sycophantic love was the work of nothing more than an ignorant infant.

Varath inwardly berated himself for a foolish action such as that despite knowing mistakes were the hallmark of a maturation process. Surely he was wiser now than when he had left. D'Artagnan had stepped down from the position of healer, now filled by Lena, and a Torleik was a name he did not know from before. A newcomer during his absence, most likely. Worth noting that he had already risen to become the Basin General.

By power, or political maneuvering, the young male mused. He would be interested to meet the man and figure him out. Speak of the devil and he shall appear, it seemed, as both Illynx and this Torleik joined their little pow-wow as Ulrik spoke. Varath gave a small bow to Illynx out of well-trained courtly respect, and a masculine dip of his head to this general.

His eyes roved over Illynx to find her fat.

She was pregnant.

Interesting. He hadn't taken her for a mother of any sort, as she seemed slippery and shimmering as ever while she spoke. Varath's returned smile was perfunctory, tight and empty; though it was a carefully crafted ruse that likely only the Lady of the Basin could see through. He had come to despise gilded but empty receptacles during his time in Dorngarrow.

If it had use, let it look however it might. Pretty things were of use only for their beauty. Though to be fair, he was aware Illynx had wit. She was not lacking a brain. In what direction she turned it, the young male had yet to see and judge. "I see one leader of the Basin has seen fit to welcome me home, though perhaps by chance," he murmured observantly. "I cannot help but wonder where the other is, the Lord Deimos. Surely a gathering such as this would pique any leader's attention? It is, after all, why I assume you carried yourself over, Lady Illynx." He didn't assume he was important enough on his own to warrant such a welcoming; he had been but a child when he left, a vague memory to all but his family, the frayed edges of a tapestry unfinished. Torleik seemed to address Illynx in a hushed tone for a moment and Varath swiveled an ear towards the conversation curiously, finding, to his displeasure, he could not discern what was being hashed out.

Perhaps he was the reason Illynx was heavy with child. When the general spoke to him, the words were simple, to the point, and abrupt. The older man seemed...disgruntled. Ever curious, Varath wished to know why. "I would like to spar with you sometime, then. Test myself." He did not probe the dual-horned beast's mind here, publicly. He would wait.

Varath noticed movement on the periphery of the group and saw yet another mare joining - reminding him that Liit was still present, though silent. "This little congregation continues to grow, it seems. What is your name?" he inquired of the newcomer.

@[Ulrik]
@[Illynx]
@[Torleik]
@[Liit]
@[Esther]

"talk."

-----------------------------------
OOC: Sorry this took so long. Varath is still a little difficult. Plus I did not expect this turnout lol. A little overwhelmed!

exc.hu

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
Upon the other side of the chilling summit, he wandered, gazing, searching, hoping for a pedestal to rattle, seeking bodies to flay, for vigilance and vehemence to unravel another worthless cretin. When naught postured its ignorant head or its ravenous frame, his appetite, his predatory hunger went unsatisfied, and the Reaper was forced to slither through the tundra, undulating, choking, coils of the damned. Through the wings and eaves, the bubbling of voices crooned from the depths of the entrance. It seemed, despite his prowess, his precision, his slashing rapier and his nefarious intrigue, he was late to another impromptu gathering, a throng of individuals beneath the Sentinel’s puncturing stare. His interest would have remained indifferent and predisposed to removing his presence altogether (the thought of conforming to all of these conversations, to a social outing, nearly made him cringe), had a familiar scent not been brewing amidst the GildedBlade’s General’s, Engineer’s or random newcomer, because he recognized it for all of its promising merit, and its shrunken disappearance thereafter. Varath, once a child, now grown and posturing for the rest of the world, returned from whatever shores he’d chosen to unravel. His eyes distantly set upon the dappled figure, calculating, menacing, but only when his calling drifted upon the wind (where was Deimos - he was being questioned and incriminated after this speck had squandered all of his opportunities laid out before him?) did he advance, intimidating and overwhelming, the eldritch titan of plucked, devilish chords. The deep resonance of his vocals punctured through the air, a cold whip, an acerbic grip, piercing platitudes of the odd injustice he’d been bestowed. “Patrolling.” Then the slightest nod to each figurine lost in the midst of his vexation and irritation, before swinging the cool, apathetic blade of his glare towards the beast. Instead of demanding his own explanations, instead of voicing his queries, he proffered far more generosity than the argent had given him. “Welcome home, Varath.”

DEIMOS
delivered from the blast
last from a line of lasts
and now the kingdom comes crashing down undone
background pattern by webtreatsetc.deviantart.com
image credits

ULRIK the ENGINEER

Ulrik's bronze eyes opened wide, words dry when Illynx approached and she was pregnant. TO make matters entirely worse, his cousin came up too, pointing out the fact that she was, indeed, with child. Ulrik cleared his throat slightly. He was the one who was seduced. He was the weak minded fool. The stallion shifted on his hooves and felt a little anger at both his blindness and theirs, so he stared blankly at Illynx, trying to control the panic in his gut.

"The Qian was great. They kicked us out of our home when we were at our most powerful with greater numbers," he grunted. "And we did nothing to break them. If the Dragonbitch is gone, it was of her own choosing. We can't take credit for any of it!" Ulrik roared slightly. Obviously this was a sore spot. "Until she is dead and buried and the World's Edge is our again, we are, all of us, failures."

Ulrik cast a glance at his cousin who said that his warriors would not be that way, and the engineer nodded. He hoped that was true. He did not have lack of faith in Torleik, only those who claimed to want to help the Basin and then did nothing but stuff their faces. The Engineer turned, needing to get away from all of this before he did something really stupid. Ears pinned, he pushed his way out just as Deimos came in. He grunted a half-hearted greeting before moving toward his sentinel.