the Rift

[PRIVATE] somewhere nobody knows you

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

After trotting away from Ruske, Evangeline had just kept going, desperate to leave him and the Edge behind if only for a little while. She needed time to clear her head, sort out her thoughts, processes what he had told her. As much as she didn't want to believe that her family was happier without her she suspected that it was true. It was the only thing that explained her childhood and the rest of her life up until that point. More horses left her than stayed with her. "Stop." Tallis interjected, his tone harsh. "'Uske not right. 'Uske dumb" The conviction in his voice made Evangeline smile, though it was not a true smile.

"I like this forest." She said to change the subject from Ruske and give herself and Tallis a break. She had all the time in the world to think about Ruske and she had been ever since she'd left him in the Edge. "Like home." The dragon answered. "Almost." She agreed quietly. Nothing could replace the Woodlands in her heart, but this forest was a close second to her previous home. The thick canopy overhead made the sunlight that managed to break through dappled. It was serene, peaceful, made her feel like she was finally at home.

Sharp claws pinched at her skin and weight settled on her back as Tallis landed and sat. "We can stay here." The dragon suggested, but Evangeline shook her head. "We can't, Tallis." She said. "We already promised to serve the Edge." The dragon rolled his eyes, but didn't argue with Evangeline because he knew it would be pointless. She'd already made up her mind to live there and she wouldn't change it unless something horrible happened.

"."

autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower

@[Ruske]

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A vial of hope and a vial of pain
in the light they both look the same

Far from the World’s Edge, I at last found trees reminiscent of home – as near to home as any place had ever been. Shadows dwelled thick and hungry under old trunks. Branches filtered out the light, leaving even midday in eternal dusk. Even the bark, here and there, bore strange, violent markings – not the artwork of the Mystic Woodlands but somehow familiar. I had never considered myself a man beholden to nostalgia but it weighed heavily on me as I walked, ever aware, faintly, of the sensation of running – from the Edge, perhaps. From my own mistakes.

I had ample experience in running from those.

Rarely did I admit, in entirety, to having made mistakes, of course. Only a few times… each too painful to recount, that incident in the rain nearly the worst of all, having driven me at last from the border of a first home, a childhood home, now wrecked and forgotten… a home only to mud, blood, and bones. It had driven me to Isilme, and in Isilme I had found the peace of hard work – good work. The peace of companionship…

I thought of Roanne as I walked. Some distant part of me expected him, another shadow, to find me in the forest and wash the bark with my blood – but he never came. Memories proved specter enough, and I moved on thoughtlessly, in search of nothing but perhaps more solitude, when my own mind refused me rest. What had driven me to Helovia? I called it guilt, before; perhaps loneliness made a better fit. Though others had approached me in my exile I had turned them away, pining instead for companions lost – perhaps for a companion lost… I chafed against the yearning in my breast. Why? Never before had I considered myself beholden to another, in need of them… Perhaps I had not been frank with myself. Perhaps I had not been frank with her.

Long days had passed since last I allowed my thoughts to dwell on Evangeline. Dwelling did no good in the space of things – I ought to get along without her, if she desired nothing of my company. Even if I had been mistaken… better perhaps to assume she felt free of me. Happier without my company… I snorted at the thought. Happy. Gods damn the both of us.

I still recalled the smell of smoke as I walked. I had given valiant effort to forgetting it – had succeeded nearly, sometimes. I did not expect to give myself to illness quite so easily, again… but something wriggled in the back of my mind. Perhaps I had grown tired of sowing my own despair. Perhaps… the burden of guilt weighed heaviest when it might be remedied. I needed only to swallow my pride. What purpose did that serve me, anyway?

Rather than act, I wandered between the trees. Such escape provided opportunity for thought, if nothing more. Few others entered my consciousness as I moved – the small crack of a twig here, the old scent of unicorn there. My cloven hooves pressed mostly over untried ground. Fear kept others out, perhaps… the forest possessed an old quality lacking in kindness. I understand that, I supposed. I hardly wanted company.

Of course, my own thoughts went disregarded by the universe, as ever. I might have accounted the noise of a voice as mere coincidence, did the circumstances not fall in such a way too often – did the voice not pierce me with recollection, with a sudden, coppery tang of guilt. “Damn it,” I muttered. My head swung round in search of an exit; inside my swiveling ears, my heart beat hard. I did not wish to see her, really – did not wish it even if it was hallucination, and she still dwelled safe within the Edge. But I wasted too much time in standing like a blinkered idiot, and caught contemplating flight, I was robbed the opportunity to partake in it.

Stupid.

Instead I stared at the orange hide visible between the trees, the glint of copper where the dragon sat – I tensed in anticipation, wanting no more fire, ever, anywhere. “Evangeline.” Her name broke quietly from my lips; unable quite to look her in the eye, I looked away, supposing if the dragon did decide to intervene, I deserved its anger.

Yes, deserved.

Unable to speak the sentiment, exactly, I blinked and chanced a glance ahead, hoping to find – something – in her face. Forgiveness? For a man deserving none? A shallow sigh dragged from my chest. I had run long enough – from the fire, from her. I might have been a coward but I might be an honest one, if only for – a friend. I cleared my throat.

“I did not expect to find you here… If – if you prefer to be alone…”

[ For some reason I got the impression she was walking, even though I realized your post didn't exactly say that? Er... hope this is ok xP ]

Outcast

"Evangeline."

Her attention was drawn to him immediately and she could feel the dragon tensing on her back as Ruske made his presence known. Smoke blew from his nostrils and Evangeline frowned as she felt his desire to dish out more punishment. "Tallis." Her voice was quiet as she spoke his name, though there was authority behind it that made the dragon stand down. His head turned away from Ruske, but he growled his disapproval. She was left wondering how she had not noticed Ruske sooner and if the path she walked was what destiny had intended. Friends were not supposed to remain upset with one another, but she was still hurt. She didn't like to think that he could hurt her the way that he had, but she had thought the same thing of Validino and he'd crushed her heart under his hooves.

“I did not expect to find you here… If – if you prefer to be alone…”

"You didn't expect to find me here?" The ridiculousness of his statement made the mare shake her head. Did he not know her? "I think you know the type of landscape I gravitate to, Ruske." And that lead her to her next question. "Were you looking for me?" No matter what he said she secretly hoped that he had been looking for her. To right the wrong that had happened and ensure their friendship.

"Told you." Tallis muttered. "'Uske dumb."

"That's enough, Tallis." The mare said as she turned her head to look at the dragon seated on her back. He looked at her then glared at Ruske. His claws dug into Eva's hide as he pushed himself upward, wings beating against the wind. Tallis growled again, circled the air above Ruske then settled himself on a tree branch overlooking the pair.

"Tallis is not very fond of you at the moment." She said, though that much was painfully obvious. "I am sorry that he tried to set you on fire." There had been no part of her that was pleased with the dragon's actions. She had been rather disgusted by his choice of violence, but there was nothing that she could do to change what he had done. She could only apologize and hope that Ruske accepted it.

"."

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

The dragon made its displeasure known in no uncertain terms, as miniature plumes of smoke curled from its nostrils. Tension coiled through me, but prepared to run I held my ground. What sort of fool ran from a creature like Evangeline? I had, of course, but not again… Uncertainly I listened to her speak, my head buzzing unhappily. No – no, I had not expected to find her. I had not been looking – it was simply a mutual love of the deep forest which brought us together. I snorted, briefly irritated, though with myself or the mare or the circumstances, I could not be sure.

“You may find fault with my inability to guess your every movement if you wish,” I said, a little bitterly. “I suppose I expected you to remain in the Edge. You have more claim to it than I do.” And I had been spending a great deal of my time away from that place, specifically because I wished to avoid her. Or perhaps… wish is not the correct word. Because I had no idea what to say, should I happen upon her… Because I felt… something. Guilt? I tired of that burden, especially. Why was I constantly in the wrong?

“I was… thinking of you,” I told her anyway, carefully. My ears tilted back as I gazed around at the trees, feeling for a moment as if they had betrayed me, though they had no hearts and no minds with which to carry out such an act. Tallis moved from the mare’s back and I watched him uneasily, edging away as he landed in the trees above. How many years ago had I looked on him fondly? How long since he had settled on my back while we spoke to strangers? It felt a lifetime ago, as if I had been someone else then, and had foolishly left that man far behind. And who had he been? A doctor; a healer? A creature who cared for others? Who would never have harmed them...? But the truth of it was bitterly ironic; I had all but killed Roanne and fled, and left Evangeline to die.

Perhaps it was her foolishness, if she trusted me not to hurt her, as well.

She spoke of the dragon, and I blinked at him, wondering too what hardships he had endured, to mold him into such a feral beast. “Are you?” I wondered aloud, distantly. I did not particularly care if she regretted the act – most likely I had deserved it, though not through malice. “I am unharmed,” I added, with a brief shake of my mane – like a shrug. “Though I suppose you deserve an apology, as well…” A low, bitter sigh tore from my chest in answer to that. “I did not mean to offend you, though I realize now the words were poorly chosen. I… doubt any are happier to have lost you, however foolish they were. Nor was I… happier without you. Though I suppose that hardly matters, hm?” What was I saying? I had little practice in apologies, especially those to anyone I cared about… mostly I ran off, when worst came to worst. But where had I left to run? I let my eyes settle, at last, on her face, as my ears twitched doubtfully above my own. “If you would like, I will leave the World’s Edge and you may reside there in peace. I… never meant to do you any harm, but I am afraid I am incapable of not doing harm… So long as I have been alive, I have always been doing some evil. If I regret it now, that does not change the nature of what I am.” Restless, I shook my head again and shifted. How much of me did she know, really? How much of all that had happened before, of why I had ever acted at all – had saved her, all those years ago, in the Tides?

@[Evangeline]

Outcast
He made no sense to Evangeline and the look on her face probably made that much obvious. He had seen her run away from him but said that he expected her to remain there. "Sorry to disappoint." Her voice fell flat if only because of the bitterness in Ruske's tone. "But I left the Edge shortly after our conversation. I needed some time alone." That's how it always ended up, she thought. She always ended up alone whether it was intended or not. It was ironic that she wanted so badly to not be alone anymore, to have some sort of a family that wouldn't leave her, but run away from her friend when conversation became unpleasant. Was she ridiculous for feeling the way she did? "No." She looked up at the dragon. "Eva not ridiculous."

Her gaze fell back to Ruske as he admitted he had been thinking of her. "Why?" She asked quietly. Was it because Tallis had tried to hurt him? Was it because she had run away? She really wasn't quite sure what to think because no one ever admitted to thinking about her. After a moment the mare came to the conclusion it was about Tallis and she apologized for his actions, but only after saying that he wasn't fond of Ruske at the moment.

"Are you?"

Was she what? Was she not fond of him? Was she sorry? Of course she was sorry that Tallis had tried to hurt Ruske. She had not told him to and had been upset that he'd even attempted it. "I am sorry." She finally said, frowning. Why would he think that she wasn't? Did he think she was a liar? He should know her better than to think that she would lie to him. She had only ever been honest with him, even when the truth was unpleasant. "Tallis reacted based off of my emotions, but he should not have done what he did." Would Ruske understand and forgive her for what Tallis had done? She wasn't sure, but she could hope that there wouldn't be any hard feelings.

" I… doubt any are happier to have lost you, however foolish they were. Nor was I… happier without you. Though I suppose that hardly matters, hm?"

"For a smart stallion you can be so daft sometimes." Eva said with a fondness only reserved for those she cared about. She knew in his own roundabout way he had admitted to missing her along with his apology. "If I can be honest, I am glad that you weren't happier without me, however selfish that might sound. But I am glad that I mean something to someone." Even if he had been mean to her and made her feel unwanted. The fact that he was apologizing to her meant more than he probably understood.

And there he was being daft again. "I would never ask you to leave the Edge." She said, appalled that he would even think that. "I have no more a claim over it than you do." Eva took a step toward Ruske then stopped and frowned, unsure of what to say. "I don't like this." She blurted out moments later. "I don't like this tension. I was upset and needed some time alone, but one argument doesn't make me hate you or want you gone from my life." She reached to brush her muzzle against Ruske's then withdrew. "You can be a jerk... a lot... but I wouldn't ask you to change who you are. You're Ruske. You're my best friend even if you're mean sometimes. And I love you regardless of what you do or what you've done. Just because we have a fight doesn't mean I don't want to be your friend anymore."

"."

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

So she had left the Edge… I never expected Evangeline to flee that place completely – only my presence. But I had upset her so greatly… Outwardly, I responded little to this information. What could I say or do? I wished to leave, but sensing such an action inappropriate, I remained. She spoke of the dragon’s actions, and I nodded. “Of course.” Quietly. My eyes found again the glint of orange scales. “I am not angry.” No, I had never been angry. It was fear that drove me away, and never anger… not for that.

Her next words surprised me, for their candidness if nothing else. With a jerk, my ears came forward, expression lit. “Of course,” again but surprised, soft if only because I had forgotten how little she thought of herself. Of course you mean something to me. And I was the daft one? Some manner of laughter wheezed in my chest, silent but present. She was odd company, driving a man from sorrow to anger and back to joy… But I no longer regretted finding her in the trees.

“You have been in the Edge longer,” I pointed out, words traveling past a small, ironic smile. They came softly still, as if all claim to authority had vanished from me. But I did not so much mind being cowed, if it meant she no longer had reason to be angry toward me. “I don’t like this.” Silently, I agreed. It seemed foolishness, in hindsight… but so often in the past my transgressions had been punished with worse than the threat of flame, or the loss of a friend… I may have counted myself happy if she continued to live in good health without my presence – if that was the cost. She reached out to touch me and startled, I jerked back, blinking at her with uneven eyes, rife with confusion.

“My dear...” I chuckled at last, though whether it was a joyful sound I could not be certain. “I do apologize for making such a… mess of things.” Slowly I reached out to touch her, half-apologetic for drawing away prematurely. “But I am glad to hear you say that. You are a warmer and more lovely creature than any I have met before, and I… It pained me to think I may have lost you so soon after finding you again.” My ears twitched a bit self-consciously, but there… I supposed it was better to be completely honest and to sound pitiful than to hide around words, anymore. “I was only willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure you were… happy.” Simpering, I shook my head again, a bit helplessly. “I don’t often go out of my way like this. I’ve not met very many others who were so important; I may need some practice with… becoming accustomed to it.”

Outcast

"Good." She murmured in response to Ruske's admission that he was not angry. Part of the reason she'd kept running was because of Tallis' stunt with setting the grass on fire. She'd been terrified that Ruske would be angry with her for it and she couldn't face him when she was upset and he was angry. She just couldn't do it. She'd had too much of that with Roanne and it had hurt their friendship terribly and she didn't want that with Ruske. The thought of losing his companionship and his friendship had nearly brought her to tears as she ran away.

Evangeline's ears perked at the sound of Ruske's wheezed laughter and she lifted her head. "Did I say something funny?" She was confused because there was nothing about the situation that she found funny. It was all terrible and horrible and stressful and she just wanted to lock it all away in a tiny box and bury it somewhere in the forest so it would be hidden away forever. But it couldn't be hidden away because it would happen again. She was not foolish enough to believe that she and Ruske would have only one fight.

"You have been in the Edge longer."

"So? What's your point?" Eva asked. "Do you really think me heartless enough to drive you away from your home?" She shook her head in disbelief. "I would never. You deserve a home just as much as I do. If I felt uncomfortable there after our fight I would sooner leave than make you. At least you serve a purpose there. I do not." She felt as useless as she had been when she was nothing more than an orphan searching for her parents. There was nothing she could do to help. She refused to fight, she was not a nurse or a healer and what little bit of information she knew about plants she'd already told Resplendence. What more could she do?

Sadness was etched into her face when Ruske pulled away from her touch. She sighed and looked down at the ground, wishing that it would open up and swallow her into oblivion. Ruske's voice made her lift her head and the use of the endearment made the corners of her mouth curve upward. It wasn't often that she heard him say things like that and it sent a wave of happiness through her. Eva reached her muzzle toward Ruske's as he reached out to touch her and her smile grew as he apologized and complimented her. The compliments felt good, but she wasn't sure of how deserving she was of them. "I'm sorry I ran away." She said quietly. "I didn't mean to make you think that I didn't want to be your friend anymore. Running away is .... its what I do, I guess." Always running.

She stepped forward then stopped, deciding that no matter how much she wanted to rest her head against Ruske's neck she wouldn't. He was never one to openly offer any sort of physical comfort or affection and she wouldn't seek it out. Her tail flicked against her hocks and she stared at the ground as Ruske said that she was important to him. Really? She wanted to ask, but held her tongue. "Thank you." It was all she'd ever wanted, to know that she meant something to someone.

No matter how much he wanted to hold a grudge, Tallis was unable to because of the flurry of emotions in his bonded. Most prominent was happiness and forgiveness. If Eva could forgive Ruske for being a jerk, then he could as well. So the dragon drifted down slowly, wings spread, from the branch he had been perched upon. Rather than land upon his bonded's back, however, he landed on Ruske's rump. The dragon trilled, tilted his head and blinked. "Sorry." He would forgive, but he wouldn't forget and if Ruske hurt his Eva again he would have more coming to him than a grass fire.

"He says sorry." Evangeline offered, smiling warmly at her dragon.

"."

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

It occurred to me once again, as we spoke in the quiet darkness of the trees: much existed about Evangeline I did not know. She had truly grown, in our time apart, and I… I blinked in response to her inquiry, ears twitching. “Sometimes one has no choice but to laugh,” I murmured. My sharp humor had dulled with months of serving and relative comfort, but it remained tied to whatever darkness I once cultivated in my own heart. Unintentionally – but no excuse. I had always considered myself a sinner, and never condescended to apologize for it.

I watched her more carefully, still somewhat amused by her take on the situation. “No.” Quietly, still. “But I may have found anywhere else… you were established in the Edge. You belong there, with others who wear their hearts openly.” Mine was far too rotten for that, botched and scarred… I glanced away, thinking. Did I still expect she was uninjured, as well? Innocent, naïve? She had clearly suffered, if not in the same way I had, then perhaps… more bitterly. No wonder, of course. She considered a being like myself every bit as deserving as she, despite the obvious differences in our perspectives. Her last statement surprised me, though, and with a jerk of my head I peered at her, blinking, a snort rattling in my nostrils. “I’m afraid you are somewhat mistaken; I may have taken a position as a nurse, but I hardly feel useful. You improve any situation by virtue of your presence; that is useful. Being honest and kind – that is useful. I… complain of things.” Wry, I cocked my head at her. “Don’t underestimate yourself, my dear. If you’ve any faults, it is a tendency toward forgetting your own worth.” I hoped, in some way, to make up for pulling away from her so suddenly. It had only been surprise… And I meant the statement as well, so convinced it was mere objective truth I needed feel no guilt for it, as I might in aimlessly giving compliment.

A small surge of… something (sentiment?) passed through me when she accepted my touch. Muzzle pressed against the smooth warmth of her face, I inhaled, briefly, feeling comfort again – as if things were right, at last. I wished they could be so, always. Wished I did not make such mistakes. “Running away is… it’s what I do, I guess.” I moved as if to shove her, gently, near the top of her neck. “I seem to have grown adept at finding you,” I mused, “so I suppose it isn’t such a problem as it might be.” Better that she ran and remained safe, in all honesty. I had caught up to her twice, though I had both times expected to find myself bereft of my dear friend. More serious, I stepped back to look her in the eye. “So long as I may be certain you do, indeed, enjoy my company…” It had been my only reservation, before – that she preferred to be without me. Though it seemed that some madness grew affection in her; I was not so virtuous to shrug it off.

“Thank you,” was all she gave in response to my compliment, and I blinked at her, wondering if it sprang from humility or discomfort. “Of course.” How strange a pair we must have made – one half feral and the other far too kind. I wished to say more but found nothing suitable; how does one convince the sun of its own warmth? Instead I shifted my attention toward Tallis, bracing slightly as he fell from the trees above and glided toward a perch on my back – as he had once, ages ago. The sensation accompanied by that event raised joyful warmth in me. Perhaps I could not have the Woodlands again, perhaps I could not be important again – but perhaps I was important to Evangeline. To her dragon. Perhaps that… was enough.

I supposed it could never ease the massive aching in my mind, but it was a start.

“I accept your apology,” I told the dragon solemnly. “And I would be glad to call you friend again, if you don’t mind. I think we are of the same mind, most of the time – Evangeline is of utmost importance to us both, hm?” I cast a wry look at her, wondering perhaps when I had become so comfortable with expressing affection – but it felt necessary, with one so obviously ready to assume the worst of herself. If she must feel unworthy of affection, then perhaps I should give it anyway, until she no longer felt so.

[ @[Evangeline] should not have written this while exhausted >.< I hope it makes sense ]

Outcast
Evangeline was far from being established within the Edge. There were only a few of the herd members that she had met and that was because she'd decided to keep to herself. After arriving and witnessing the mistreatment of a wandering unicorn she had not wanted to befriend them and was even considering leaving. Then Ruske showed up, injured, and the herd that she'd begun to think so poorly of helped him even though he was a unicorn. It was at that point that she'd realized that maybe she'd judged them a little too harshly. She began to speak with them, but that did not make her established. She had not gone out of her way to take up some specific rank or duty in the herd. Not like Ruske had. She did not argue her thoughts with him, though, because it was pointless. He would continue to insist that she deserved to stay there more than he did, no matter how untrue his belief was.

When Ruske claimed that he didn't feel useful Evangeline frowned. "But you are." She insisted. "You help Resplendence. You can teach the other nurses because you're smart. The Phoenix wouldn't have chosen you as a healer if he didn't believe you were smart and capable." Granted they weren't in Isilme anymore, but Evangeline believed it true."A better healer couldn't have been chosen." She murmured. "And they did right by promoting you to nurse. You're an asset to them. What am I?"

“Don’t underestimate yourself, my dear. If you’ve any faults, it is a tendency toward forgetting your own worth.”

Tears welled in her eyes and even though she'd decided only moments before that she would not seek out physical comfort from Ruske she stepped forward and rested her cheek against his neck. He couldn't possibly understand how good it felt for someone to even insinuate that she was worth something. What made the sentiment all the more special was that it was coming from someone that meant so much to her.

A quiet laugh escaped her as Ruske shoved at her neck and claimed to be adept at finding her. "I'm glad." She admitted. "I don't think I'd want anyone else to find me." Her head rose as he stepped back and she caught his eye, ears tilting forward as she listened to him. "Of course I enjoy your company." She said in a tone that told of how ridiculous she thought his statement was. Maybe she hadn't enjoyed his company a few days prior, but that's what happened when friends argued. They were, thankfully, good enough friends to get past it and use it to make their friendship stronger.

'I forgive.' Tallis said, urging Eva to tell Ruske. 'Not forget.' His tail twitched as he watched his bonded. "He says he forgives you." She told Ruske, but she refused to tell him that the dragon wouldn't forget. But Ruske continued on about her being of the utmost importance to them both, which Tallis agreed with a nod of his head. Evangeline could feel her face flushing and she looked away, a hint of a smile on her lips.

"."

ooc:// sorry about the double tagging, i just realized that i forgot the last bit of my post

@[Ruske]

Unregistered

I did not attempt to argue when she began extolling my virtues – however incorrect her analysis might be. I enjoyed the praise, though I weathered it without expression, merely watching and wishing she might find the same easy list when looking inward. Perhaps in time… I watched her carefully for the time being, reading with difficulty the movement of her features. But I could not miss the way she crumpled in face of praise – the way she fell toward me, her face resting against the rough muscle of my neck. I stood a brief moment, unsure of what I ought to say – but perhaps the moment required no speech. I let the rangy curve of my neck draw around her, briefly, to acknowledge the moment. Perhaps it was inopportune, but so much touching left me feeling odd. Distracted.

“I didn’t think I’d want anyone else to find me.” We had drawn apart by the time she spoke it, but still an odd – delightful – feeling punctuated the statement, singing somewhere in the endings of dead nerves. Simpering, I cocked my head at her, oddly relieved. I was coming to feel… I could not name it. Possessive, perhaps. Even if I could not guarantee to keep her safe from myself, I resented the thought of anyone else harming her. It was not a kind emotion.

“Good,” I said at last, brusquely, in response to her last statement. Drawing away, I gazed at the long shadows around us. A pity we could not remain in this forest, rather than the World’s Edge… though even as I thought it, I wondered if I would not miss that place. Few of its members I considered treasured friends, but I knew enough of them to feel a little longing when I thought of leaving forever. I was becoming too old for running.

When she told me of the dragon’s response, I cocked an eye back at him. A strange creature – more quarrelsome than Evangeline, at least. Perhaps more bitter a beast than myself, as well… I watched him for a long moment, then nodded. “Let’s hope you’ve no more reason to set me aflame.” Though I hardly doubted, in the future ahead of us both, that I might never set a toe out of line, again. With a shake of my head, I blinked at Evangeline once more.

“Then perhaps we might return to the Edge… together.” It seemed fitting, in echo of my arrival. “Though I’m sure I would not regret taking the longest path through these trees… they do remind one of the Woodlands, don’t they?”

@[Evangeline]