the Rift

[PRIVATE] i'm not scared of monsters anymore

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"aurelia talk"

As I lay with my right flank flat down onto the grains of sand, I looked up to the vibrant, yet soothing streaks of color that had colored the the sky. There were strokes of pink and orange that resembled the soft, supple skin of a perfectly ripened peach. The setting sun’s soothing colors were mirrored by the shimmering waves of the sea. The sun was sinking further into the watery horizon but was still illuminating several grayish clouds in the sky and outlining them with a pink-gold color. Just then I realized that it had become quite late.

Slowly, I sit up, feeling the sand tickle my flank and then stomach. With minimal struggle, I manage to stand up in one motion. Grains of sand roll off of my back and side. I am no longer white, but beige. The sand has clung onto my wet fur. I've already taken a swim today, and did not dry off completely before laying down. Gracefully, I turn my head away from the water and towards land. There, I see the circular moon glistening down on my. It manages to illuminate the area much less effectively than the sun, but it will do. As my eyes adjust to the sudden darkness, I just stand there, and for once-- I have no worries, no troubles. I am free right now, the everyday stresses of life cannot bother me right now.

My wings hang loosely at my side. Their pristine whiteness has an odd blue tinge from the navy sky tonight. My gold dapples are still bright enough to be seen in the dark, which even surprised me. After all, the golden hairs are much like gold and glimmer the same way actual gold does. The Earth God's feather is still tightly tied into my ivory mane. I love and treasure this feather because it's a God's. I would still treasure it even if it came from a everyday horse like Delly. Feathers are pretty no matter who they come from. I am still surprised this god actually gave me one of his feathers. I'd like to get a feather from each god, but I know that may not happen. The Earth God gave me his feather, but the Moon Goddess was more hesitant and said I'd have to work more for it.

And I am.

I am not only working this hard for her, though. I'm doing it for myself, also. I want to be the Seer for myself. Of course, I want to be in that position to help benefit my herd, and serve loyal to the Moon Goddess, but also to allow myself to understand that I am worth something-- that I am not a piece of garbage you through out once you've gotten your use of it. Right now, though, I am a piece of garbage.

I am the piece of garbage that abandoned my daughter.

Oh, little Faeanne. I hope she is well with Ruske and Aylin. Now, I wish I hadn't done that, and I wish she was still mine, but I cannot change what I've already done. I can still be a good mare while being a bad mom, right? Maybe? Hopefully.

ooc:; I couldn't resist making the title have something to do with monsters again. >:D @[Mauja]

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
en natt så kall och månen den var klar
Once, many years ago, he'd descended from the fire-ruined Edge to swim into the ocean and the sunset, to witness the glory of the God who had ruined his home.

He couldn't recall swimming since. He'd played in the shallows with Loudmouth and Moron, tackling the latter so he fell on his ass, but that had been a long time too.

He hadn't seen them since the darkness, since before Diego took ill and he left Helovia again. Were they fine? He'd promised himself to protect Loudmouth, and look what a good job he'd done out of that! He didn't even know where she was, or if she was still alive, and last time he'd seen her she'd been quite.. well, he didn't know what word to use. Devastated? Not really. Exhausted, drawn? Maybe. Who wouldn't be, after spending time up on the shadowy surface, with all those rotting bodies snapping after you?

He didn't make it to the ocean before sunset. Darkness claimed the world, lit by a round silver moon. It bled the colors from the land, illuminated his skin, and made it harder to judge distance. But, it was still beautiful, the sterling ripples upon the ocean's sway, and the solid edges of his moon-shadow. His blaze glowed, the thin stripe a faint veil of light between him and the world. It wasn't exactly pleasant.

But the moon lit more than just Mauja. A figure stood by the beach, her pale body silhouetted against the navy star-studded sky; wings hung loosely by her side, and not even the Moon could steal the gold from her dappled coat. Half a year or so had passed since their last meeting—he knew her by the gold, by the markings on her cheek, by, well, memory. And it wasn't an entirely pleasant memory. It had almost been like talking to a younger, less deranged Delinne—had she grown up into a witch, turned sour by the ways of life, or had she become saner? He didn't know which he'd prefer. Someone to take out his helpless, frustrated anger on, or someone who could help him hold his fragile mind together?

With his owls in their customary order on his back—Irma, still bigger than Diego, sitting on his withers, and Diego further down his spine—he kept on his path. It led straight to the sea, not straight to her, but close by enough. He watcher her as he went, ambling along, frosted hooves leaving a trail of shimmering blue before it sank into the dark sand—the very same sand that clung to her side, the fine particles picked out by the moon's precise, sharp light.

"Kill," he said, when he was close enough. His cryptic eyes were made silver by the monochromatic light. "Aurelia. I thought you were aquaphobic?" And yet, it seemed that she had been swimming tonight.

Maybe she'd scored all the victories Mauja had never been able to. Maybe, as with everything, she was actually the stronger of the two.
Se dem brinna över verkan se dem dansa framför bål
Se dem mässa inför satan se dem smida sina stål
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

I was relaxed and calm. Every once in a whilea slight breeze would waft through the air and make my wild (albeit curly) hair dance around in a myriad of ways. The soft sound of waves slamming into the ground and retreating was soothing to my tired frame. I could lull off into a nice sleep right now. My eyelids heavy and my breathing calm, I can feel my nerves calm down as the insanity of life drifts away from me. Before I know it, I am asleep. My back hoof is resting on a fine tip and my head is low. My sleep is light and I am easily awoken when I hear his voice.

At first, I believe I am hallucinating. "Kill." I do not know if it is him, but he continues. "Aurelia. I thought you were aquaphobic?" My eyes blink open and there he is. The stone clad stallion. Mauja. Cold, cold, Mauja. I doubt my fire would even be able to warm his heart. He is far gone, and I will not be able to retrieve what he wants. I believe what he wants is his mind and youth. Cold, cold, Mauja. I could let myself ignite, but that would freak him out. Well, it might and it might not. The titan has probably endured much, but seeing a phoenix-like me would probably scare him. It would only scare him because he thinks I am a girl playing with adults.

But I'm not, I promise.

"The mind is a mystery." My voice is cold, but not like ice. It is a numbing cold that freezes with a chilled tone. Does Mauja deserve my warm? Cold, cold Mauja seems to enjoy the cold. "And most people can change." Most can, but the real question is... can Mauja? Kill, kill, kill. That is what cold horses do, right? Mauja the Stone Clad says kill? I say, good luck bastard, but of course... maybe I shall hold my tongue until he speaks again.

A cold horse is never boring.

Or I shall play. Do I play the same game Mauja plays, or a different game? Mauja's game is kill, but mine is burn. "It's a little dark, do you not agree?" Truly, it is dark. I can make out the stallion's spots, but I can barely see anything else. Orange flame sprouts from my withers and rages downward. Soon, my entire body is bright orange. The area around me is nicely lit. "Perhaps this is why I do not like water?" I pause for a moment and smirk, but my features are hidden by large blazes the leave a smoky smell. "Mauja the Ironclad, perhaps I am fire and you are ice." I pause and take a breath, gain my composure, and resume. "They say opposites attract, but they must be wrong. If you through water on fire, the fire dies." I tilt my head to the side, my smirk fading back. "Fire isn't compatible with anything, but you've already figured that out, now haven't you?"

Suddenly, the fire encasing my body disappears. "So go on Mauja, kill me. It won't bother you, after all.." I start walking towards the water. It's darkness is haunting. No, I have not yet cured my aquaphobia, but I will pretend I have while in the presence of Mauja. "...you are the Stone Clad." With a thrust of my white wings, I lunge into the air, gliding around, inches above the water. Suddenly, My wings close with a swoosh and I am swimming.

Fucking swimming.

There are probably monsters under there (excluding Mauja) and I am swimming over them. "How are you going to kill me if you're on the shore and I am swimming?" I giggle like the girl I want to be. I am no girl anymore. I have children. I have a family. My invite to join me in the water may be declined, but I do not care. He can leave now...

I will definitely not stop him, but if he stays I will not ask him to leave.

Ascended Helovian

[ Aurelia scores A+ in "How to get Mauja really riled up 101". Warning for some strong language. ]

The next couple of minutes could be summed up with two words: fuck life. She came awake to the sound of his rambled greeting, to the sight of his moon-silvered eyes and pale body, the cold glint of his horn and the polite, forward flick of his black-rimmed ears. Mauja, in all his insecure, curious glory, with a thin skin of ice behind which everything lay, hidden and safe. Never quite revealing just how much on the edge he was these days.

"The mind is a mystery." She sounded colder than he remembered, and his faint hope that tonight would somehow be different was dashed, cruelly, to pieces. His white ears flicked back, eyes hardening, jaws grinding together. It was turning out to be just like every other damn thing—had everyone lost their minds? Did his presence somehow inspire others to lose it? "And most people can change. It's a little dark, do you not agree?" His jaws parted, but no sound came out. She was on the attack, wasn't she? Verbally hammering on him, what did she want, for him to leave? But he didn't have the time to form some kind of reply, or say what the hell is wrong with you? because of all the things she could conjure, it was fire.

Flame flickered along her hide, sprouted from her withers like another set of wings, engulfing her. Mauja flinched and danced back a step, nostrils widened, and his owls scattering to the stars.

Fuck fire, too.

His head was up, the blaze reflecting in the bared whites of his eyes, painting the wild mess of his forelock in shades of red; his heart was pounding, hammering, adrenaline choking him and nearly blackening his vision. Fire. Fire, fire, fire and flame, damn it, he knew what that felt like, for your entire body to burn and how it roared in your ears and slid down your throat, cracked your skin and made it smell of charred meat

"Perhaps this is why I do not like water?"

Her voice was barely audible above his pulse and the crack of flames, the sharp tang of burning in his nose. "STOP IT!" he roared at her, heedless of that she was talking, ears flat and eyes wild with anger, and a line of fear along the rim. She'd caught him by surprise, but he would not run, not anymore; "Fire isn't compatible with anything, but you've already figured that out, now haven't you?" He still wasn't listening, not really, his harsh breath pounding out in clouds, the ground rattling with inch-tall ice nubs. She'd better put the damn thing out before he ran her through.

Then, as suddenly as it had sprung up, it died, disappeared, and left them mired in an even deeper darkness. Mauja blinked rapidly, dragged in a heavy, ragged breath. What the hell had she done that for? Blinded by the glare still stuck on his retina he only saw dimly that she began to move away, followed by the sound of her voice. "So go on Mauja, kill me. It won't bother you, after all.. you are the Stone Clad." Kill her? She swept into the air on long, moonlit wings, like some sort of angel gliding towards the distant stars.

"What?! YOU'RE ALL FUCKING INSANE!" he yelled after her, still wild from her spontaneous combustion; the adrenaline was slowly leaving his body, limbs trembling. He felt light-headed and dazed, but still angry. Angry, and weak. She dropped into the water, said some more about killing, but Mauja stood on the shore, all four feet firmly planted in the swiftly cooling sand and his ears flat against his neck, head high. His eyes were narrowed, and flat, as cold and unyielding as the ice. "I didn't mean kill, kill you, I meant kill as in the damn marking on your cheek! It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw you, you fucking moron," he snarled at her, hoping his voice would carry above the lull of the ocean out to where she swam.

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

I realize now just how manly Mauja is. His words when I first met him were strong and rang volumes, but now he shies from my fire. Ha, what a guy I thought he was! Now Mauja was the baby he really is. Who is the adolescent now? He was just so quick to judge me, but he is acting like a baby now.

After he begs me to quite being my fiery badness, and I stop, I decide to take a swim. What harm will another quick dip do? After I am swimming around only for a mere second, he says something that surprises me. No horse has been able to figure this out, but Mauja did? Perhaps he knows now, I speak Lao. "I didn't mean kill, kill you, I meant kill as in the damn marking on your cheek! It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw you, you fucking moron,"

Yup, that might change a few things.

I swim towards shore and stop at the first place I am able to stand. The water smashes mid-way up my flank and retreats before coming back again. It's coolness energizing me again. Though I am not on fire, my words are filled with the burning heat. "You're the idiot. My name is kill. I was labeled kill because that's what the rulers were going to do to me. It's a command to whoever reads it." I pause for a moment before adding on to my explanation. "You're supposed to kill me." I've just opened up about my history. No one knows this about me, not even Aly or Africa. Now the only one who does know.. is Mauja. The baby stallion. The foal that tries to play the games of men.

"Maybe I am 'fucking insane', but why should that bother you?" I look straight at him-- or where I think he is for the most part. My white pupils and gold irises stare at him. I wait for his answer. And while I do, I think of everything.

Faeanne.... Ruske... Maybe even Rostislav and Vodoo. I think about my old home, and all the mistakes I've made. "If I am so fucking insane, why do you stay to talk to me? Do you not understand that fire and ice piss each other other off?" With a soft sigh I walk completely out of the water. Then, I walk a little bit away from the water. Ever so slowly, I turn towards the spotted stallion. He is still so handsome and beautiful, but I know I cannot say so, because he gets mad at me. Right now, I don't need an even crazier Mauja. Plus, Mauja wouldn't like me, he thinks I'm insane. I am warmth and light, he is cold and darkness. He is probably someone I should avoid at all costs (much like how I should avoid Abishia), but I can't. I'm super attracted to him.

But if I make a move I'm a child.

Ascended Helovian

His breath was still ragged, sides swelling as his starved lungs dragged the air in deep: cool, cold, blessed night air, free of the heat of fire and the smell of its clean-burning smoke. And at least some of his yelling had turned off her tirade about him killing her—she stood in the water, its silver-lit surface swelling along her flanks before receding to the rhythmic push-and-pull of the tide. Mauja remained on the beach, a pale beast with his horn shearing the heavens, and the stars glittering behind his white head. Even in the aftermath of his anger, there was something powerful to him; and even in the loss of his own heart and strength, there was something graceful to him—elegance, in his pale, blue-eyed sorrow.

Her voice carried all the fire she had swallowed, all the fire that raged beneath her golden skin. Her name was kill? He'd always thought it'd come from aureate, golden, a theme that fit with the sun-flecks on her sides—but what did he know? What did he know of the meanings of things and names? He was Mauja, simply Mauja, a name like any other name, just like Sarazheha bore nothing but a name. Meanings were not important, when the name didn't shape the soul.

"What a pity I'm disinclined to follow the commands of others," he replied icily. He wouldn't kill her just because some idiot somewhere else had said it was a good idea—if he was going to kill her, it had to be because he wanted to. Whether he needed an actual reason or not, he didn't particularly care in that moment, but unless she tried to torch him, too, he thought it was quite unlikely she'd annoy him enough to actually make him want to kill her.

Death was so final.

"Maybe I am 'fucking insane', but why should that bother you?"

He tilted his head in the blackness, his stark shadow mirroring the movement flawlessly across the silver sand. Did it bother him? It had, mostly, just been a frustrated, yelled observation, frustration at the fact that what he'd actually thought could turn into some kind of normal conversation had swiftly gone to hell. Why couldn't things just be nice and full of sunshine for once? Some stability, predictability? He stared at her across the distance, but she seemed to give up on him ever answering her, and asked another quite relevant question before walking out of the water. Mauja sighed. Fuck the world.

"Because maybe I'm hoping against hope that you'll prove me wrong?" he answered tiredly, the surprise of her fire and her behavior having run itself dry and into the ground. He just felt cold, and tired, and lonely—infinitely lonely. His blue eyes trailed her movements, until she stood looking directly at him. Only his head moved, but his body remained still in the moonlight. The occasional cold, wet breeze made him shiver from within, bones cold and marrow aching.

"I'm too tired to be angry for long with you tonight," he said bluntly after a moment. "But if you are going to be pissed off..." He shrugged. "That's on you."

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

"What a pity I'm disinclined to follow the commands of others," I didn't sigh with relief. Maybe, just maybe, part of me wanted him to kill me. Part of me wanted him to end my life, so I wouldn't mess up another horse's. I guess if I died, I would let someone down. Someone with hopes for me. Someone that believes I am more than just Kill. Does anyone believe that? No horses have ever shown much faith in me, but that is something I should get use to.

Or I could die here and I'd never have to hear another horse's speech about how I disappointed them. I disappoint everyone and everything. "So, I'll get to live another day running around getting people angry, making more enemies?" My expression is still normal-- not happy, nor sad. I let out one sarcastic 'Ha!' before continuing. "I'm just living it up." I smirk and look away from Mauja. My cranium turns swiftly towards the dry land-- towards where home is.

Home. The word is now bittersweet. I've been promoted to seer, yes. I've also gained the ability to speak with the Moon Goddess, personally. Along with the rank and privileges that involve the Moon Queen, I've gained rank magic. I want to be the seer. I want to be worth something. I want it. I don't want loneliness anymore. I am tired of being just me and occasionally Shilva, but that isn't good enough. It should be, but I cannot help, but feel so alone. Is there no one that is compatible with me, the FireAngel? Am I to be a lonely lady with her 20 animals, pacing up and down the halls or the hidden caves neurotically? I do not know if that is the position for me, but I do know that.. that is were I am headed.

"Because maybe I'm hoping against hope that you'll prove me wrong?" Hoping against hope? I do not understand what this means. I am not as thoughtful as this. So, without a thought of what I am going to say, I begin speaking. "See, this is where you fuck up. I don't prove anyone wrong. I am still the hot-headed, ignorant, Aurelia you met in the Deep Forest! I'm not smart, I'm not brave, I'm not a fighter! What am I? I am Kill-- an animal that isn't amazing enough to get a name!" By now, my voice is quiet rage. I'm not mad at Mauja, I'm mad at myself. I'm mad at everyone and everything. I should just leave Helovia. By now, I am wishing Mauja had just ended my life.

It's on me, Mauja says. It's my fault I'm angry. I know it is, but my life hasn't exactly given me many chances to be happy. The only good news is I've been promoted. "I'm the World's Edge Seer, now, but now I feel more invisible then ever." I know I am not invisible, what I mean is that I feel people can pass me, and I am nothing to look at so they do not even offer glances of astonishment. I am hated, not loved. I am ugly, not beautiful. I am chained, not free.

Ascended Helovian

So baby if you love me just let me know, 'cause every time we touch, touch it's turning cold...

It was hopeless, wasn't it? Could the broken ever fix the broken? What hope in hell did he have of finding salvation on a moonlit beach with a young mare just as shattered as he? The gold along her sides seemed to grow paler in the silver light, shattered cracks along her fine body, like.. scars; like the scars left by fire.

Had she burned, too? Was that why she had tamed fire, to make it hers, to own that which had hurt her so?

The anger had gone out of him, swept away by the salty night breeze and the monochromatic world, swirling away like so much silver sand. Instead, he just felt empty—because that was all he was these days. Empty, and angry, frustration rising into bitter fury to mask the yawning void where his heart and soul had been. He hid his exhaustion behind a curtain of angry words and starless blackness, hid his pain behind his healed scars.

"So, I'll get to live another day running around getting people angry, making more enemies?" A humorless smirk found itself on his lips. Welcome to the world, Aurelia.

He didn't know any other way to live.

His gaze followed hers, north, under wheeling stars to a distant horizon hiding the contours of a land he knew intimately: a land where he could, vaguely, recall feeling alive, and worth something. A time and a place before the fire came to start the slow decline, the first crack running up along the ice pillar supporting his world; it all lay in shambles, now. Purpose gone, heart a mess, and everything slowly but surely falling apart to the distant, thunderous groan of the glaciers breaking and falling into the frigid sea.

And he recognized the bitterness in her voice. And I am Failure, shameful and guilty, unable to break out of these old ruts and rise above the bloodied, painful mess of my past. He didn't know what to say. What to tell her. Because what could he say? How could he somehow help her with the problem he couldn't even solve for himself? And still, somewhere deep inside, it wrenched at him to see her like this—she was so young still, she ought to be golden and joyous and laughing, radiant like the sun, like Kahlua, not.. not like this. "I'm the World's Edge Seer, now, but now I feel more invisible then ever."

It was what power did to you. The name, the role, obliterated the self; when they looked at her, they would not see Aurelia. They would see the Seer. When they looked at him, they had never seen Mauja: he'd only ever been King.

So, quietly, wordlessly, with only the whispered shift of sand as his hooves turned it over, he moved, towards her; the tip of his horn glinted in the cold light, and the silver moon stole every ounce of warmth from his colors. The distance seemed endless, but suddenly he was there, close enough to be burned—and his head reached out across the darkness, shadow falling over sand and into hers, as the soft, black tip of his muzzle stretched out to touch her neck.

[ Tagging you once @[Aurelia] because I took forever to respond. ]

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

He doesn't, but I feel like he has a lot to say. He offers me a smirk that seems to say You are only figuring this out now? Do all horses make more and more enemies per day? Every breath I take makes me more and more hated. Every word that leaves my mahogany lips pisses someone of. I pissed Mauja off only a few minutes ago, but he doesn't seem to remember that. Does Mauja not have enough energy to hate right now? Maybe there isn't a way out of the cage that is his philosophical mind. I could warn him that the stone walls that hide all his emotions and thoughts from the world will fall, just like they did with my Mom. Perhaps I am misreading the situation. Is it possible he just is stupid?

I tell him a few other things. I am an open book when it comes to emotions, so my quiet rage is full of real emotions. I thought he would offer me something. Maybe advice? An insult would be nice, too. Any speech would let me know he is listening, even if he's only kind of listening. As I tell him I have been promoted, I do not get a congratulations, because I feel like he senses the pain in my words. What horse wouldn't be able to hear the disappointment and resentment in my words. Why is life so tragic? Why can't I be happy like the bulk of the Helovian population.

My train if thought crashes abruptly as his scent fills my nostrils. I tilt one ear forwards and one backwards. What is the Stoneclad doing? He doesn't only get close, but he reaches out his muzzle until it touches my neck. As his whiskered muzzle makes contact with my hide, I feel it resonate deep within me. I do not know if this is supposed to be intimate, but it feels that way. It feels right. "Mauja..." My voice is soft and barely audible over the crashing blue waves. I don't say his name in any seductive manner. I know Mauja doesn't like when I try to seduce him, no matter how much I want to. I say his name simply. I crave him. I want to be close to him so, I can't help but let my cranium drift towards his neck. I can't help, but reach my muzzle towards the top of his neck. I can't help, but try to let my muzzle rest on his crest. Mauja, I can't help it.

ooc:; idk if mauja was tryna be intimate, but thats how aurelia took it :D

[/quote]

Ascended Helovian

[ Who will ever know what Mau is intending... xD ]

Sometimes, he's not at all sure what he's doing.

He didn't know what had possessed him, what had made him put one hoof in front of the other and bridge the distance between them, reach out and touch the neck of some young girl who had, not even a year past, made moves against him. If he stopped to question his motives, he probably meant well—to show her that she was real, and that while he couldn't possibly claim to see her (because she was dancing around like the flicker of flames, hiding behind a veil of smoke, not letting him see) he could touch her.. anchor her in reality.

Her neck was warm under his touch—the golden dapples didn't feel like scars under his sensitive nose, the skin as smooth and the hairs as velvet as the rest of her. He breathed in her scent for a moment, unsurprised by its blend. The smell of the Edge was still strong in his memory, hairline cracks appearing in his heart as it he felt it embedded deeply into her skin. Ironic, that as time ever moved forward, Mauja strove backwards, to an era gone by, wishing only to return to it and stop time, seal himself into it, and disappear. Let the world remember a mighty, ambitious King, radiant with the light striking his pale coat, rising slowly with the sun into the dawn of something new: let them remember that, and not all that came after.

"Mauja..."

What was he doing? His black nose still pressed against her neck, his heart slowly doing its regular rounds; one black-rimmed ear twitched, playing with the fancy that if he listened hard enough he could hear her pulse.. would it be thundering, given hope by his thoughtless action? Had his touch slowly ignited the fires he'd done his best to put out? Guilt pricked him. He hadn't thought of all the things it might mean to her, not until it was too late, as usual.. nothing he did ever came out right, did it?

But one thing was clear: she needed this. And whether she needed it because it was so long since anyone had shown her some sort of kindness, or because she wanted more, he didn't know, but he didn't find it in him to pull back and leave her alone in the cold darkness anymore. The least he could do was to keep his own head cool, and discourage her with his calm; worried, more than he wanted to, by what she might think he meant. Worried, that she might try to make him go somewhere he doesn't want to go.

(Worried, that he still won't be strong enough to say no.)

Her neck wove around the angle of their bodies, shifting his point of touch from muzzle to the flat of his cheek. Her warm breath contrasted with the chilly, damp night breeze, hesitantly beating against his neck each time her sides fell. It very nearly sent a chill down his spine, so reminiscent of that time with Faelene... That time, when he'd given in to the play of contrast between hot and cold, to the sound of her voice changing rhythm to his touch—entranced, by the moonlight along her slick, black sides. Subtly, he ground his teeth together, felt the tickling trail of her whiskers as her nose moved up, to rest against the top of his neck.

He let her. He didn't know why, but he let her touch him, let her come close, knowing that for every second he lingered it would hurt the more when he would, eventually, pull away.

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

Nothing else happens, but I do want it to. I don't think Mauja does. Why would he? He thinks I'm a child. I am no child. I will be three when Tallsun arrives. Can't he see that I've wanted him all along? Maybe he sees it, and maybe he ignores it. I, honestly, like what is happening. It's strange to feel the touch of a stallion that isn't just wanting a mount. What does Mauja want? I can offer him friendship, but I have already offered it. Mauja is a confusing stallion, but I want him. To be fair, it makes me want him even more that he is confusing to me. I like horses that can be unpredictable, horses that aren't afraid to do something crazy here and there. Will Mauja do something crazy with me, or run away like I predict him too?

I see his ears twitch and everything falls silent. All I can hear is his breathing and mine. Mauja seems like a knight in silver armor to me. I can only see myself as a helpless princess. I do not know if Mauja will be able rescue me, but I sorely want him to. I want him to sweep me off of my feet and carry me into the sunset. My chances of this happening, I believe, are slim. He'd only do it out of guilt, because I am almost certain he doesn't think of me how I think of him. He lets me rest my muzzle on his crest. The feeling of his powerful neck under my delicate muzzle makes me want him ten times more. Why would he let me do this if he didn't want to?

I try to figure him out as I rest on him. Maybe he wants what I do? What do I want? I want to grow fat with life. A life that him and I created. I want to see a child him and I created, grow up happy with good parents. I want to give the child something my parents didn't give me... love. I know I can give the child love... Can Mauja? This is what I want. I'm almost certain Mauja would not like to be tied down to the likes of me. I can't make him love me, no matter how desperately I want to.

I wonder about Mauja's past. What makes him so reserved with his history? Why does he not love like I can? Does he have many enemies, like I do? Mauja the Stoneclad, can we start chipping away the stone and find something warmer, happier? Why can't Mauja open up? Why is he a mystery? I'm sure if I wanted a horse more open with emotion, I could try to get Gaucho, but Mauja is more appetizing to me. He is something different. I could try to get Voodoo, Note, Rostislav, Alleo, many others. I don't like them like I like Mauja, and this is the problem. What is so appealing to me?

It's appealing the way his blue eyes look at me. The way they send shivers of excitement down my spine. I like his horn. It's glistens under the moonlight. His horn doesn't scare me, because Mauja doesn't seem racist. I like his spots, the way he moves, his black-rimmed ears, his feathered legs, his overall beauty. I like him. Maybe love? I've always said I've loved before, but this is different. When I see him, I get butterflies and my stomach knots up. All I can think about is one question. Mauja, can I be yours tonight, and you'll be mine? I can't ask it. Not now. My muzzle slips off of his neck, but does not leave. My head lingers near his neck, close enough to feel the warmth, close enough to smell his scent... only inches from contact. With a whispered tone, words come. "Oh, Mauja..." I love you? I wanted to add, but can't. Won't.

Ascended Helovian

If he could fix her—would he? Unbidden, his mind reels back through the years, to another meeting in spring, a day two years ago, when the sun was shimmering on the blanket of snow.. such a breath-taking view he had not seen in forever, and how history seemed to repeat itself. Leyra, confessing her love. Leyra, falling into the snow, and begging for him to kill her. Leyra, crying and pleading for a child.

His eyes closed, blocking out the sight of Aurelia's pale coat up close, one of his breaths coming out longer, heavier. Her hounding and pleading had broken his thin resolve that time, the guilt forcing him to his knees and making him give in to her demands.. because it had seemed the only way to make her stay, make her not take her life, and if it had had a chance to fix her...

Or he simply could've put a child into a miserable, smothering life, and just made everything worse.

As it was, he didn't know whether her hunch that a child would've fixed her had been right or not. He'd told her, another time, and then she'd been driven from the Basin by Zar'roc and someone else (Elizabeth, maybe?) and when she'd returned, calloused and heart-dead, she'd never mentioned it.

Hadn't she died since then, or something?

Aurelia's pale muzzle came to rest by the side of his neck instead, the rhythmic pulse of her breath not disappearing into the cool night but rather beating against his skin, tickling and.. disturbing, because of the way it made his veins shudder and contract, and thrum with things beyond his control. Maybe Kri and Illynx had been right all along.

"Oh, Mauja..."

He sighed again, and opened his eyes—pulled back, just an inch. It seemed cruel that fate would always do this to him, and others; make them want what they thought he could be, and for him to have to deny them that. "Don't," he said gently, but his tired voice said many more things, stop, don't say any more, I'm sorry, it can never be. Still, he didn't pull back more than he already had, breaking their fragile contact. Just because he, for once, had enough sense to break away before he led them both to something he did not want, it didn't mean that he would have to shove her away, out into the cold night beyond. "I'm sorry. I did not think of what it might mean to you." His voice was low, strangely genuine, and his gaze went beyond the top of her pale neck and onto the distant stars.

Surely She was up there, somewhere among those constellations, laughing and twirling.. or she wasn't even bothering to look what her puny, grovelling, pathetic mortals were up to.

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

After I backed away, I was still only inches from his ivory fur. I could smell him. His scent is invigorated. It's much like Vodka to Rostislav-- addicting. It would be easy for me to say Mauja is addicting, but I'm sure Mauja would be really surprised, and maybe a little freaked-out. With a held-out breath (that seemed more like a sigh), Mauja's eyes shut. For a moment, I wonder if he feels like I do. Not love, but invisibility and loneliness. I doubt Mauja loves. He seems to cold for that. He's far gone, down a path I don't want to take.

I make the mistake of saying his name once more, and he must hear the loneliness and want in my voice. His beautiful eyes flick open, and I wonder what he is thinking. What does he want to happen? Does he really want to be left alone? He inches away from me, and I am left in the cold of this night. The warmth that he gave me fades away and the ice settles in. Me, the girl with the fire magic, cold. "Don't," Now it's my turn to sigh slightly. I'm disappointed. I wanted so much more. I don't want to feel lonely anymore, and it's not like sleeping around fills the void in my heart.

I am destined to be alone. I'm destined for mediocrity. I could easily find a stallion to settle down with, but that stallion won't be what I want. I want what I can't have. What I look for is unattainable. I could play the role of the innocent, but on the inside I'll always feel like I am rotting away. The innocent do not even get what I want. Queens and Kings get what I want. They get a throne, a partner, and an entire herd tending to their needs. For me, I have myself and Shilva. This is all I have and this is all I'll ever have. No one wants a hot-headed mare that does things her own way.

His gaze flicked to the sky as words fell from his mouth. "I'm sorry. I did not think of what it might mean to you." I do not look at Mauja anymore. Instead, I look at the sand around my front hooves. "No one ever does." I take a small step away from him. He doesn't want the closeness I can offer. He doesn't want it. In a sense, I am hurt. Even Mauja doesn't think of my feelings. This upsets me because he is usually so intuitive and thoughtful. He picks up on things quickly, I think. "You don't realize the effect you have on me, Mauja." My voice wavers slightly. I've never confessed my attraction to anyone before. Of course, I've said things like "You're hot" and what not, but not like this. This comes from my heart, not my ovaries. "You are who I want. I like you how you are." With an awkward shrug of my horse-shoulders I let another sigh out. Things aren't supposed to go my way. I am Kill. Kill is supposed to be dead. I shouldn't be here.

Ascended Helovian

And it's there—that cold wedge of darkness between them, an entire glacier spanning nothing more than an inch of cold, night air. He could practically feel it between them, crawling in to claim the warm space he'd abandoned, pushing them apart. And it was his fault. It was his fault, because he'd moved in the first place, pity and empathy only driving the dagger deeper into her heart. His fault, because he'd touched, his fault, because now he pulled back. White fell like a veil before his eyes. Could he ever do anything right?

"No one ever does."

Idiot.

He glanced down from the sky at her, eyes downcast, trailing figures in the sand. Pretentious bastard. There were many things he wanted to call himself, but none quite fit the bill of how hard he felt like kicking himself. "At least not as much as we like to think we do," he managed to say, a faint, self-deprecating smile curving his dark lips. She saved herself from having to listen to more of his rambling, about how you could only ever know what you meant but not foresee how it would be taken, though, by speaking; "You don't realize the effect you have on me, Mauja." I'm beginning to have a hunch. Still, his eyes remained kind, and soft, reflecting the distant stars. Honesty was better than disturbing advances, because words he could counter with words; actions, what could he do? Kick her away?

Fortunately, she recalled how badly it'd gone, because she remained where she was, isolated on her plot of sand as the invisible ice walls rose between them. It hurt him, to see her like that, to know that he'd hurt her, too—to know that he would keep hurting her, simply by virtue of his existence. He couldn't change for her. He couldn't change for anyone. He'd go around like this, forever, breaking hearts because he never knew to think deeply enough before doing, or opening his mouth.

"You are who I want. I like you how you are."

There was too much honesty in this.. in the desolation of her voice, and the crestfallen look she bore. Another humorless smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "Even when I'm thoughtless and insensitive?" he asked, because what else could he say? He'd been through this before.. and rejection would always hurt, wouldn't it? He sighed again, but didn't take his eyes off her this time, but kept watching—trying to read the nuances of her face, gaze. Wanting to know just how deeply it ran, and how much it hurt.

"I'm sorry," he said after a moment, heaviness in his voice. It was the only thing he knew how to say, and it was completely useless.

Just like me.

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

Suddenly, I am fatigued. Mauja is tiring today. It's like I have to work so much extra for him to understand my feelings. It only takes him a second to.. reject me? Is he really rejecting me? I'm not even sure. "At least not as much as we like to think we do," I do not answer this statement. In fact, I do not even understand it. Does he mean to say he figured he had thought enough, but he really hadn't? I would normally answer him, but I don't want to look like the stupid mare. I don't want to be the pretty, dumb, beautiful, mare that gets all the stallions. I want to be me, Aurelia. Aurelia the mare who scares everyone away with her recklessness. That's who I am. I'm not some frilly mare. No frilly mare will get anywhere in life.

I tell Mauja how I feel about him, and he is silent until I begin to speak again. Once I am finished speaking, he is bold enough to apologize. He says two simple words, but now my world seems to be cracking and falling apart. Can a little glue fix this? In my little world, with a cracked house, it starts raining. Soon, the rain penetrates into the house from the cracks and everyone is soaked. That is how I feel.

"I'm sorry, too." I pause for a moment, mentally preparing myself for the words that will spill from my jaw any minute. "I'm sorry that I am simply to average for the likes of you. I'm sorry that I am not strong enough to break through the cage your heart is locked into. I'm sorry if his is a lot to put on you at once. I'm not known for my subtle hints. I'm known for my unheld tongue, hot-headed personality, and my emotional ways. I'm not a genius, I'm not strong, I'm not even brave. I'm Aurelia." I still do not meet his gaze. I can't. Not now, at least. I won't bring myself to see his beautiful eyes. I can't do that. I know I'll get lost in the confusion and mazes he has set up to his heart. Why can't I break in? Why won't he show me the way? Why does he not let anyone do anything?

ooc:; note, aurelia doesn't actually know what mauja is thinking and feeling. this is all purely assumption. :3 Just so you aren't like "wtf, aurelia shouldn't know that. xDDD" and aurelia felt like a short post was all she needed.

Ascended Helovian

"I'm sorry, too."

Was this what would always come of one-sided love? Regret, pain, confessions under moonlight, heat swept away by the cold ocean breeze? He had—was—what she wanted. What did she expect him to do? What did she honestly expect him to do? She knew nothing of him, didn't know that one secret, the one thing he hadn't told anyone.. as he gazed at her for that short moment before her words tumbled out, he felt his mind form what he had told Leyra: it's not about you.

Because it wasn't. It was all about him—his heart, his dreams, his feelings.. and there was nothing she could do about that. There was never any conscious choice involved. Either it was, or it wasn't, and in this case, like so many others, it simply wasn't.

Nor did he think it could be.

It didn't make him feel any better, though. Sure, he could.. pretend? But not even the tiniest part of him was drawn to the idea. If Aurelia had any sense at all, she'd want him to want her.. not want for him to pretend, just for the sake of her feelings. Then she would have nothing but a half-life, and he would always be just out of reach, and he couldn't imagine anyone—least of all himself—living happily in such a way.

"I'm sorry that I am simply to average for the likes of you."

"What?" he blurted out, incredulous, but then shut up and just listened in disbelief and dismay. Why did everyone seem to assume he had some sort of say in who he was attracted to, or not? Why did everyone immediately assume it was their fault there was no mutual spark? Silently he gazed at her, but her eyes were downcast. What could he possibly say, to try and make her understand that it wasn't about her? Some day, someone would come along and love her, love Aurelia, the hot-headed, unbound, free-spirited and easily hurt Aurelia.

But that day was not today, and that someone was not Mauja.

"Aurelia..." But how could he explain, without sounding exasperated, as if trying to teach a child of how the "adult world" works? He closed his eyes, sighed, and tried again.

"It's not about you. You are perfect the way you are. And someday, someone will love you for that." The gentle stars reflected in his gaze, mirrored by the softness of his voice. "But I cannot choose whom I want, or love. Despite what you may think, I am a creature of emotion, and that my feelings are not for you has less to do with you, and more to do with.. me." And the one they are for. A small, wry smile curved his dark lips. "And there's no guarantee I won't be getting my heart broken, either," he added in a soft voice.

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

"What?" He blurts out this one word. Suddenly, I want to turn invisible and just leave. Why can't he just understand what I mean? Why can't he just realize that the more her talks the worse it stings? Right now, it feels like barbed wire has begun puncturing my skin. Each pointed end digging deeper and deeper the more he talks. Each hook driving the cold facts into me. Each barb makes the wheels in my head spin. One of my ivory ears flicks backwards.

Why can't Mauja drench me in my own scarlet blood and watch me die? Why can't he do it? "And someday, someone will love you for that." I roll my eyes at him. Why do I feel like I am being scolded? Why do I feel like he is my father and he is telling me something I probably should listen to? "And there's no guarantee I won't be getting my heart broken, either," I can't help, but let out a subtle sigh. Yes, another] sigh. "Someday, I will die alone, Mauja. You will see. Any horse that has met me does not like me. Go ask anyone." I know I'll grow up to be the neurotic old lady that paces up and down the halls like a ghost. I'll be the old lady everyone laughs and points at. I doubt they will ask what I've done that is good. They will only ask about the crazy things I have pulled off. They won't care, no one does. Even the fathers of my children seem to have apathy about me.

When I leave, I do not want to see Mauja again. I don't want to interact with him. I don't want to know him, and I certainly don't want to lve him, but even he said... it's not like he has control over who he loves, and neither do I. I know that it is not just my ovaries saying "Go. Make babies." I'm attracted to him on many different confusing levels. Why does this feeling make me think about just Mauja? Why does it engulf my mind and block everything else out? I know now that no one can capture my heart, if it's cold. So, maybe I'll leave this meeting colder. Maybe I can steal some of Mauja's frost. Mauja has plenty, right?

Ascended Helovian

He got the feeling that she wasn't really listening, that she couldn't take in what he was trying to tell her. Maybe it was her youth? He didn't know if he'd been dramatic and gushing about heartbreak when he was her age, he just knew that he was older now—and that love was no absolute truth, that life actually went on after something like this. And maybe, just maybe, he didn't truly understand her, because he had a heart of ice and could steel himself against such pain as rejection.

Or at least, so he thought. He didn't know yet. Maybe, some day in the future, he'd be the one not wanting to listen to reason as his hopes and dreams crumbled into dust.

"Someday, I will die alone, Mauja. You will see. Any horse that has met me does not like me. Go ask anyone."

Despite the fact that all he wanted to do was grab her by the poll and shake her vigorously from side to side, he found himself wanting to contest her statement—he couldn't grow old with her, but he had a hard time believing no one liked her. Because.. he didn't dislike her. Not really. Not in the way that he disliked horses; when he disliked them, it meant he did his best to stab them through the chest with an ice spike. Aurelia was just a bit different, a bit raw and passionate, sort of like an insecure kitten who set herself aflame—bit, before she was bitten. Truly, like dancing with fire on loose ground, and he wasn't yet graceful enough to make it through a conversation with her without upsetting her.

He wasn't sure he'd ever be. Wasn't sure she'd give him the opportunity to try again. Hadn't someone back home once complained that those you thought were friends left you, when they realized you didn't return their feelings? Because for some reason or another, they couldn't stand being in your presence anymore?

"Go ask me," he dared her, there under the moonlight. There was a vast, vast space between love and hate; because he didn't feel one of them, didn't mean he felt the other.

But he wasn't sure she'd understand that, either.

[ I got incredibly distracted about halfway through this ><; ]

baylee

Aurelia

"aurelia talk"

Mauja pisses me off. Perhaps when I was almost setting him on fire wasn't the lowest point of our conversation... this was. He didn't really reject me, but he did everything to divert the conversation away from my feelings to him. Now this was about who likes me and who doesn't? Well, you don't, Mauja. No matter how much I wish you did. I know love is a strong word, perhaps this is why I've avoided the word. Love. It might be what I feel, but it might just be a crush-- a really strong crush?

Mauja the Stoneclad. He has a reply for everything. Can anything actually make him think? I don't mean mathematically think, I mean philosophically think. A philosophical horse takes time to think about things. They think about the meaning of things, not the basic meaning, but the hidden meanings. I can say, "Ya, I'm really good!" To a horse that asks about my day, and they can believe me, or they can realize that I don't sound happy. Maybe they'll see my gloomy features and realize something isn't right. Mauja, are you philosophical?

"You can lie, Mauja." Now my eyes blink upwards from the ground to look at him. Mauja, here in the flesh. Mauja, here in the flesh while trying to change the subject. "It didn't seem like you liked me when you first got here. Then you seemed to like me a lot, but now," I shake my head slowly side to side, "I'm not so sure." I look right at him. My personality bubbles with flint and steel. I just need a little more before I am set of-- before the flint and steel are stuck together.

"I've been told differences make us strong, Mauja." My mom and dad always told me this. They seemed to be pretty opposite, yet they got along fine. Perhaps they were fine together, but such opposite extremes created me, a fire mare with two children, a whole lot of enemies, and no friends. Maybe I've always been doomed to fail. My failure was set up when my father decided to mount my mother. This is why opposites should not mix-- to save the world of hopeless cases like me.

Ascended Helovian

Well, maybe they were approaching the point where Mauja would like to stab her.

"You can lie, Mauja," she was saying, eyes flashing as she looked up at him. And you can pretend to know the truth he wanted to spit back at her as his eyes gave in to dark anger, and his ears slicked back. Was she so hell-bent on living up to her self-made prophecy that she would do her best to buck off anyone who even attempted to be nice to her?

She didn't have to make things as hard for herself as she was doing. You always had a choice, and she was choosing to go the hard way.

He couldn't respect her self-pity when she did that.

"I've been told differences make us strong, Mauja."

It almost felt like a threat—was she saying she was stronger, because her fire could melt his ice? Mauja's flashing eyes narrowed, cold welling up from the depths of his impatience. He'd spent all of tonight trying, but it had come to naught. Fallen apart like a sand castle dried in the sun. Like everything.

"And you can lie to yourself and warp the world to fit your picture of the lonely, unwanted, unloved Aurelia!" he snapped at her, tail lashing once against his hocks. He wished it were storming, that the gale was roaring and the wind there to whip into his soul and whistle through his bones—to match the festering, simmering fury rising under his cold, stoic skin. "Are you so set on being some sort of dramatic story of desolate heartache and heartbreak that you can't accept anything that's proving the opposite? Because then you're just doing all of this to yourself, and you've only got yourself to blame." His crisp voice cut through the still night air too easily, a lick of a frost-edged silver blade.

"You'll be a lot happier if you just cut the damn bo ho I'm so alone and unliked crap, and open your eyes to the fucking truth."

That there's at least one idiot in this world who is trying to help you.
But it's hard to help someone when you need help yourself, too.