the Rift

[PRIVATE] Philosphy? [Eva]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
On her way back from the Veins of the Gods, the queen had been given ample time to consider her quest. Find two unicorns- one racist, one not. Find two horses- same requirements. On the outside, the task given to her seemed simple. All she had to do was find some horses and speak to them, but the queen knew it would not be so simple. The quest played to her very real fears. Face a racist unicorn and speak about their beliefs with them? She shuddered to her very bones to think of it. How would she be able to speak to one without getting her very throat pierced?

No, the unicorns would not be easy. Nor the racist equine. She didn't even know where to find one. The non-racist equine on the other hand... she lived with plenty. Peace-seeking friends, those who she could speak to about their philosophy, those who would agree with her and nod their heads, those who would tell her she was right. Why? Because she was queen now, because she led them and they were expected to agree with her? She sighed. Even simple, daft Kahlua could imagine that such a conversation would not be sufficient for the gods. So who then? She shuddered again as she thought the name, but she knew which of her flock she had to speak to.

As she crossed the crumbled remains of the glass wall, still to be removed from the borders of their land, the queen took a deep breath and looked around. Why was she afraid of her own herd member? Was it because Eva was not afraid to stand up to her, to tell her she was being terrible, to make her feel small when she was acting her worst? All of her best friends were exactly the opposite. And that was why Kahlua was afraid. Because she could not trust Eva to build her up and make her feel good about herself, because she could trust Eva to say the very honest truth when telling the truth was hard to do. She could trust Eva to speak her mind despite any consequences, and that was frightening to the queen. But the queen needed this magic even more than she needed to avoid her fears. Without this magic she could not save Helovia.

So the Sunshower did what she had to do- she took a deep breath, and then she whinnied. “Eva!” All she had left to do then was to wait. Watch and wait and hope that she would know how to talk philosophy when the time came.

@[Evangeline]

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
 evangeline</style>
Be of love a little more careful than of anything
image by Csutkaa @ flickr.com</style>

It was rare that anyone would call on her because she had no real purpose within the herd. She was not a leader any longer, that time had since passed with Isilme, and she was no healer. She was nothing more than a mare living within the safety of a herd. So when she heard her name being called she was curious as to who it was and what they wanted. The voice, however, she thought was familiar but she could not quite place it. It was shameful that she knew so few of the members of the Edge herd, but she had not put herself out to make friends. Evangeline found that when she tried to get close to anyone she ended up hurt. She was better off being alone with only Tallis to talk to and Ruske when he wasn't being a butthead.

Tallis took to the sky and began searching for the mare that had called for his bonded. "Kahlua." He said when he saw her below. The dragon trilled to make his presence known then swooped down and settled himself on a tree branch and waited for Eva to come. The mare, upon knowing who was calling for her, frowned and wondered what Kahlua could possibly want with her. The last time she'd even spoken directly to the newly appointed queen had been when she'd been nudged toward racism by Lace's ignorance. She snorted quietly in distaste as she remembered the occasion.

Finally, Evangeline began to walk in the direction Tallis told her the queen was, still wondering why she was wanted. Did Kahlua finally have enough nerve to tell her that she had been out of line? Eva snorted again, thinking that if that were the case she would have to remind Kahlua how out of line she had been. "You called for me?" She asked as the Sunshower came into view. When Evangeline came to a standstill Tallis flew down from the branch and landed on her back, looking intently at the queen. "What can I do for you?"

"."

The trill of a dragon woke the queen from her fretting and she looked up to the thing with a gentle smile. Upon recognizing it as Eva's dragon, the queen took a deep breath and steadied herself. Their meeting was inevitable, then. “Hello friend,” she called to the dragon, lamenting that she did not have a name by which to call it. She was usually excellent with names, but if she had ever learned the creatures name then she could not recall it now. Perhaps it had something to do with the tumultuous way in which she had come to know Eva, that day where an electric storm had rained down upon them all from the fiery pegasus that had been so irate.

You called for me? The first announcement of Eva's arrival. For a moment, her smile faltered. Her ears wavered, her stance shifted. For a second, in that moment, the queen looked very much like a commoner. Still, there was nothing frightening in Eva's look, nothing threatening in her stance, and so the queen gradually perked back up, the corners of her lips turned up softly, but still less boisterous than she might normally be. What can I do for you? Straight to the point. The queen took a deep breath and then spoke.

“I wanted to talk to you about...” she trailed off. What was it that Eva had said that day? An eye for an eye. That was it. “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.” She said it decidedly, wondering if Eva would remember where she had heard it. Kahlua could hardly forget that day. Lace trapping her inside the glass wall, Eva berating her for her childish tendency to get so caught up in the action. Kaj's disappointment in her. She could cry again just thinking about it. But, as it does with all of us, panic had ingrained the memory so deeply into the queen's mind that she would never forget it. Every word, every movement, every action. She shook her head to rid herself of the memory.

“What does that mean to you, exactly?” She had never really been sure how to go about these philosophical type discussions. Still, Eva was one of her philosophers. Perhaps she would know where to begin.

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

She took in the way Kahlua's smile faltered when she made her presence known and wondered what, exactly, she had been called upon for. "Looks scared." Tallis said and Evangeline had to agree with him. "Silly. Eva not scary." The dragon rolled his eyes, but Evangeline continued to watch Kahlua. The queen began to build herself back up before her very eyes and that left her wondering what was going on in her head. What kind of internal war was she waging with herself. The thought that Kahlua was going to ask her to leave crossed her mind briefly, but then it was cast aside as ridiculous.

"I wanted to talk to you about... an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

"What about it?" Eva asked with a frown. She thought it was pretty self explanatory. Revenge on someone who hurt you was pointless and would only cause an endless cycle of violence. What was so difficult about understanding that? The orange mare glanced up at the dragon who shrugged as he looked down at his bonded. "Silly queen." Eva suspected that Tallis wanted to say 'dumb' but went with 'silly' out of respect for her position even though she couldn't hear his thoughts.

"What does that mean to you, exactly?"

"It means that revenge is pointless." She said simply enough. "It means that responding with violence to violence only will end up hurting you more in the end." She wanted to ask if she understood then, but held her tongue. "It becomes an endless circle of violence and hatred and where there is violence and hatred there can never be peace. I lived in a land that was plagued with battle after battle. I've seen more dead bodies in my life than I thought would ever be possible. I've seen unicorns slaughter equines mercilessly because of a piece of land, and I've seen equines slaughter unicorns in retaliation." Eva cut herself off abruptly, realizing that she had begun to shake as she remembered the things that had traumatized her in her youth. "The way that stallion, Torleik, was treated that day was appalling and you should all be ashamed of yourselves." Her normally kind voice had taken on a hard edge as she spoke to Kahlua.

"What did he do to deserve such treatment? The herd he was welcomed into attacked and killed Edge members after Mirage's group attacked and invaded their home." Did she see what she was getting at? "They retaliated with violence because of what happened to them. And your group reacted with the same threat of violence when one of theirs marveled at a wall." She paused for a moment and stared. "Do you understand? Its endless. Violence breeds violence."

"."

What about it? and a frown. Kahlua was certain this was not going to go well and she found herself wondering why she had decided to come to Eva at all. Funny, the queen of the land being afraid of her following, but fear was part of the paint's daily life. Besides, any suspicious horse would have said it was healthy for the leaders to be cautious with their followers. Hadn't Tyradon said that nobody is really content with following forever? The queen had ignored his advice then, didn't even think of it now, but perhaps he had a point. Those who aren't in power will always want it.

Ah, but the queen was lucky that Eva was simply frustrated with the girl's idiocy and not out to knock the crown from her head. But the frown that had made the queen continue her uneasy shifting soon gave way to a flood of words and the queen listened eagerly to each one. This was the conversation she needed to have- for her quest, yes, but perhaps also to heal the broken relationship that existed between herself and her philosopher. Indeed, the queen found that Eva had chosen her profession well. If the words seemed like child's play to Eva, they were enlightening to the silly queen who had never had to stop and think such things before.

For all her words, one moment in particular stood out. Where there is violence and hatred there can never be peace. It seemed so obvious. The words were opposites, their very meanings mutually exclusive, but the sentence was like a bright light in the queen's mind. It was an idea she had always had, but never been able to put so succinctly. She didn't even mind (or notice) that perhaps Eva was speaking to her almost like a child, patronizing the queen for the deficiency she had been born with. All the queen wanted now was to be able to step forward, to extend her nose, to place it against the shoulder of the quivering philosopher. She hesitated, started to reach out, but then withdrew her advance as Eva's voice grew hard again. Torleik.

The queen's ears fell backwards, not in anger but in the shame that Eva demanded of her. She was ashamed. She had been ashamed. She relived the feeling many nights a week. She did not need Eva to remind her, but the fact that she did left the queen's heart aching. Was she really thought of as so cruel? And when Eva's tirade finally ended, the queen hardly felt like answering. She felt like curling into a ball of the tiniest size. She had never been made to feel so small before in her life.

“I was afraid and he had trespassed on our land before,” she protested, but she shook her head because she knew that defending herself was not the right thing to do in this moment. No, defending herself was not taking responsibility for what she had done. “I've been meaning to find him, to apologize... You're right,” she hesitated, her voice cracking with the emotion, eyes watering with the sorrow that was beginning to overflow in her body. This was why she feared Eva- because Eva had the ability to make the queen feel like she was nothing but dirt on the ground, a bug to be squashed at the soonest convenience. “We treated him terribly.” She took a deep breath, let a tear fall because it refused to stay seated in her eye, then looked back to the flaxen mare.

“You said there were wars in your home. Did anyone ever try to stop them? What did they do? Where did they go wrong?” Though she pried, it was not necessarily her intention. “You could help me... I don't have a plan, but I need one. I need to know how to bring peace to Helovia.” She could not make things right with Torleik right now, he was not hear to be reasoned with, but perhaps she could begin by extending a hoof of friendship to Eva and make things right in her herd.

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

Evangeline did not want to be touched and she was prepared to step back, away from Kahlua's touch had the queen continued. Thankfully her mention of Torleik made her stop and withdraw. But then the excuses came and Evangeline snorted and stamped a hoof. "Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your actions." She was exasperated with her. "You did wrong and because of that could have brought violence to your own doorstep. Do you realize that?" Maybe she was being a little too hard on the other mare, but Eva had been holding her opinions of the situation in for so long and Kahlua had made it boil over. 'Calm, Eva.' Tallis murmured in a soothing way. 'Queen is young and silly.' "That may be." Evangeline responded as she looked up at the dragon. "But silliness has no place in leadership."

"I've been meaning to find him, to apologize..."

"I've already apologized to him for what took place." Eva said as her gaze fell back to the queen. "But I'm sure he would like to hear it coming from you. From what I understand he has no intention of coming back here and I can't say that I blame him. If you want to find him I'd begin by looking north toward the Basin." The orange mare nodded her head in agreement when Kahlua admitted that they had treated him terribly. There was so much more she could say, but the queen looked beaten down enough. What good would it do to continue making her feel guilty for what she had done?

“You said there were wars in your home. Did anyone ever try to stop them? What did they do? Where did they go wrong?”

"There were two groups." Eva answered. "One group called themselves the Crusaders or Crusaders for Peace. Something like that. Their goal was peace but they were hypocrites. You cannot acquire peace by going to war and they intended to go to war with every racist individual in Isilme." She shook her head as she thought about them and how much she had disliked them and their cause. Her own home had been in their sights because they thought monsters had lived among the trees when there were individuals like Ruske and herself that made their homes there. "Walk with me." She said as she turned and began to walk through the Edge's sparse forest. Tallis trilled softly as he flew from his branch to keep watch over Eva and the Queen from the sky above.

"Their ultimate goal was genocide." She said as she picked up where she left off. "The genocide of an entire group that did not see eye to eye with them and their beliefs. As much as I dislike racism I would not and could not condone what they sought to do." Eva cast a sideways glance at the queen. "Their failure was their violent way of trying to find peace. Their violence was answered with violence from those that they sought to eliminate. Thankfully their leader disappeared and the group disbanded. There was another group that was called the Peaceful Pony Group. No one knows who originally brought the group together, some horses suspect that it was Isilme's true gods that wanted peace in their land. Our job was to quell any violence that started. Unfortunately it was too late." She frowned again, knowing that she was going to be diving back into her own personal nightmare.

"Do you remember what else I told you? Answering racism with racism and hatred with more hatred will only lead to death." Evangeline looked at Kahlua again, letting her words sink in. "My birth home is a wasteland riddled with bodies and ghosts because no one could get along. All we could do was fight amongst ourselves over which species was superior. Who was stronger. Who was the rightful owners of a certain piece of land. The ones that were killed came back from the dead and began to kill the living. Another example of that endless circle of violence. We called them 'shades'." She said as she cast another glance at Kahlua. "They were shadows of what they had been when they were alive, all bent on the destruction of anyone still living. The Peaceful Pony Group did what we could to help as many escape from Isilme as possible. I served as their shield. Anyone that was attacked by the shades was okay because I took the attack instead of them."

Finally Evangeline stopped and turned to the queen. "The only way that you can eliminate racism is to change a racist's views. Show them the error of their beliefs. Of course many of them will be open to what you're trying to do because they were taught as children that their own kind was superior. Most will react with violence. Some will seek to destroy you and your ideals to save their own way of life. How you react to the situation will tell if your goal is true or if you're just another hypocrite hiding behind false views of peace."

"."

Eva's outbust about her excuses made Kahlua want to stop back and yell, to tell her to be quiet and listen because she was getting to the taking responsibility part. Only a herculean effort prevented her from actually doing the yelling, but she did respond with a small snort of distaste. Kahlua did not like to lord her position over her herd but in this moment she really wanted to just tell Eva to be quiet because she couldn't talk to her queen that way. Still, she couldn't go kicking everybody that disagreed with her out of the herd and in the end it was the thought of what Kaj would think of her if she did so that stopped her. Perhaps it was for the best that she did not, though, for the tension seemed to drop between the two of them as they reached some sort of subtle, precarious agreement.

The queen could have spouted out that she knew where he came from, had known ever since he trespassed the first time he came to the Edge, but Eva did not seem interested in being wrong and (as much as it pained the queen not to spout out some sort of know-it-all words) in the end the queen simply nodded. And slowly, ever so slowly, the tension started to dissipate and the moment went from one that could have ended in yelling to one that would hopefully end in learning for both of the mares. They both had much to learn.

Normally it was Kahlua who demanded others walked with her, but she did not protest the command from the philosopher. Setting off with Eva, she walked at an easy pace through the branches and brush, enjoying the warm spring air and rustle of the wind in the trees that complimented Eva's voice. Though the story was long, the queen listened eagerly to every word. She had so much to learn, so much to know in order to best create a plan to bring peace to all of Helovia. Eva knew more than Kahlua had imagined. It seemed she had chose her path in the herd well and suddenly Kahlua was frowning at her and Kaj's decision to make the hot-headed Aurelia Seer. Still, the Lady Moon had approved their choice. Much like in the case of naming Kahlua queen, the goddess must have known more than the mortals gave her credit for.

Nodding in agreement as Eva said that she could not condone war in the name of peace, Kahlua murmured softly in between some of Eva's words, “I could not agree more with you.” She didn't add much more, as she didn't want Eva to stop, and the queen kept her gaze more or less on Eva as they walked, turning forward only to avoid a tree or rock as they appeared.

Kahlua shuddered as Eva got to the part of the story about the dead coming back to life, reminded very acutely of her own time as a monster- a shell of her own self. “Oh Eva, I'm so sorry,” she tossed in at the appropriate moment, the sincerity in her voice obvious though her words were short, so as to interrupt Eva as little as she could. Again she desired to reach out, to offer a touch to the philosopher that could give her some strength in the moment, but a tree divided the two and by the time Kahlua reunited with Eva on the other side the moment had passed and she kept her nose to herself.

Kahlua stopped with Eva, turning to face her, still listening, still quiet and eager, blue eyes bright, hanging on Eva's every word. Finally, it was her turn. “And what were you taught as a child, Eva? How did you come to feel so strongly about peace, about fighting against racism? What made you want to take the attacks of the shades when you could have been running with your friends?” The queen loved her friends, but she hadn't taken the bite of a wraith because she had wanted to. It had been pure accident. So many questions, so much to learn. How could she ever know everything she needed to learn? It seemed that the God of the Sun had a very specific idea in mind when he had given her this quest.

Outcast
 evangeline</style>

Kahlua interjected comments at the appropriate times as she spoke and even though it was only a couple of words here and there she could hear the sincerity in her voice. As they came to a stop Kahlua turned to look at her and the eagerness shining in her eyes was almost unnerving. No one had ever wanted to hear what she had to say as much as Kahlua did. In Isilme her words had fallen on deaf ears countless times. How often had she spoken out against stereotypes? Her own home had been the target of rumors, lies, and nearly everyone assuming that the trees harbored monsters. The monsters had been in the Oasis, on the Beaches, in the Cliffs. All of them fighting and killing one another because of the differences in their appearance. Her own herd had kept to themselves and had watched as they all destroyed one another.

Evangeline was drawn from the depth of her memories as Kahlua asked more questions, the first of which being what she had been taught as a child. She blinked at the queen and the corners of her mouth fell toward the ground as she frowned. "I was an orphan." She said, her voice falling flat. "What I know has come from experience." She hadn't had the guidance of a mother or a father. She had only spent enough time with her mother to be weaned and even then she had been far too young to be alone. Eva could barely remember what her mother looked like and knew nothing of her father. Not a name. Not a face. Not even a color to associate with him. Absolutely nothing. He had been a ghost that she'd chased for most of her childhood until she'd finally accepted defeat and raised herself.

"You cannot fight racism." Eva answered Kahlua's next question. "You can only educate those simple minded enough to fall into its trap." She looked up toward the sky and sighed, wishing that Kahlua hadn't dredged up memories that she'd kept locked away deep in her mind. "I've seen too many murdered for no other reason than their physical features. It is senseless killing." She was not a mare of science, but she had seen blood from all different species and it was red. So why the hatred? Didn't they all have the same desires in life? To live, laugh, love, and pass on their genetics? So if they were all innately the same why was there the need to make others suffer?

"What made you want to take the attacks of the shades when you could have been running with your friends?”

"Because that's what a leader does." Eva answered simply enough. She was quiet for some time, her eyes distant as she relived the escape from Isilme. It had been complete chaos. "I loved my herd." Most of them, anyway. Giselle had been less than desirable but she hadn't been able to convince Roanne of the mare's twisted nature. "Anyone can pretend to be a leader, but when it comes down to it only those who are truly invested in their herd and value their herd's safety above their own will sacrifice themselves to protect their herd." She looked at Kahlua again. "How much do you love your herd?"

"."

Had the queen gone too far? Her heart hurt with Eva's, for Eva's, when the Pure said that she was an orphan. Kahlua felt her pain. After all, hadn't she herself been something of an orphan? Perhaps not in the sense that Eva meant, but where had Kahlua's mother been when the painted had simply needed a guiding female figure? Where had her father been when she had been learning about family values? Where had her twin brother been when she had needed a friend? Life had been cruel then and Kahlua had spent so much time vying for any sort of attention she could get that she had skipped one too many life lessons on how to use her brain. But it seemed that whatever had happened to her, Eva had had it much worse. At least Kahlua could say she had a family, useless though they were.

As for questions her questions about taking the attacks instead running.... Kahlua almost wished she hadn't asked. Because when it came right down to it, when Eva got to the end of her words, when Kahlua was asked how much she loved her herd, Kahlua almost felt that she was on trial and the wrong answer would end with her body being placed into Lace's tree root prison. The other reason she wished she hadn't asked was that she had once again dredged up memories that she thought were better off left in the memory banks.

Turning her body to the left, Kahlua motioned to a long scar that lay upon her left hip. It was ugly, a disgrace to her beauty for sure, but it was there and it was not going away. “I defended them once. I would do it again, if I had to,” she responded, but 'if she had to' was the key phrase. Given the option between running with everyone or staying to fight while they left... Kahlua knew as well as anyone else that she was a coward. If she was not cornered she would just as quickly leave.

“Thank you, Eva,” she responded then, smiling kindly upon the philosopher. “You have given me a lot to think about.” With a deep nod of her head and a slightly extended forelimb, Kahlua gave a respectful bow to the woman who was- hopefully- helping the Sunshower see things more clearly. Maybe, even encouraging the daft girl to use her brain from time to time. “I hope to see you again soon.” Then she left, her mind whirling with everything that had transpired.

OOC| Sorry for random peace out. Made sense to me to end this now since we talked about potentially starting a new thread soon :D