the Rift

[OPEN] Tough Love :: Edge Tournament Viewing!

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
The Poisoner

A tournament for the coveted position of Captain of the World's Edge...

Lakota had suspected Ktulu would enter the competition, long before her mate had decided on making it official. The cherry mare was well known to the sapphire mistress, her inner workings and desires bare to her where so many others found only brick walls and vague answers. It was in Ktulu's nature to lead, to command, and her prowess in battle only aided her in those efforts. It was something that had drawn Lakota to her in the very beginning, and something that still enticed her to this day. They were a pair of blades, the two of them, a sharp edge that sliced and nicked at the slightest pressure. And yet they were perfect complements, a pair fit back together upon meeting one another. So when the morning came for the tournament to be held, Lakota rose with her beloved, murmuring soft phrases of support into her ears before reluctantly letting her go to stride out across the battlefield like a dangerous panther with half-sheathed claws.

From her mound above them, the Poisoner watched, muscles tensed and jaw locked. The battle began all at once, a clash of four that exploded with magic and the pounding of bodies against the earth. Instinct demanded she rush to her Constrictor's side, to fight side by side with her as they always had in times before, to protect her. But she could not. Refused to ruin this moment for Ktulu, this perfect chance to redeem herself for the invasion they'd been forced into. Lakota knew her demons, her fears, the guilt that clawed at her in the darkest hours. Those were foes she could not protect her from, offering only heartbroken condolences as she watched her suffer. These were opponents she could battle, and the desire too strained her muscles, the power required to hold back nearly too much. But she reigned herself in, bit down on her desires and watched the battle rage on.

Seeing Archibald astride her mate had her breathing a sigh of relief; if there was one soul she trusted more to replace herself at Ktulu's side in battle, it would be Archibald. The stallion had grown on her, softened her heart until he had his own little niche, and the trust she had in him nearly rivaled that of Ktulu. Aodaun growled softly where he stood, claws digging into the earth as they bore witness to the dangerous dance not far from where they stood. He, too, felt the strong desire to rush into the fray.

Unable to shake the static energy in her blood, Lakota rose up on her hind legs and thrashed the air, voice exploding into the air in primal support of her mate and good friend. Hooves danced as they touched down once more, eyes wild with violet fire as she screamed down into the fray, "KICK THEIR ASSES, BABY!"

Well, she'd never claimed to be one for subtlety.

-------

Edge Captain Tournament viewing thread! :D All are welcome, feel free to post!

Chunga-Stock

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"talk talk talk"

"KICK THEIR ASSES, BABY!"

The sound resonates in my audits. Responsively, they swivel forward. Before I can even wonder what is happening, I see a blue roan mare being crazy. Cooley and collectedly, I stride over to her. My wings are loosely folded at my sides, but can still open quite quickly. I am prepared to fly off if this mare begins to go haywire on me. I look in the general direction she is looking. I see four horses, all fighting. One is rather large and handsome. Two, I have not seen before, and the last is Note. With powerful hooves, they are striking against each other. Their companions are fighting also. Companion vs Companion, Companion vs Horse, and Horse vs Horse. These are the three ways these horses are attacking each other.

I wonder who this roan is cheering for. Perhaps the large stallion? "I am Aurelia", I pause for a moment and let my name sink into her skull before continuing, "Why are these four fighting?" My curiosity makes me ask her. Is this a fight that is really worth staying and watching? How long will this fight go? How much have I missed? Who is this mare next to me? I've been thrown in a slightly uncomfortable position so I stand there in awkward silence. I watch the four horses move like chess pieces. The knight strikes the bishop, but the bishop take the queen. All the pawns are gone on that team, and that team is almost in checkmate. I've never thought of fighting this way, but now that I do.. it's kinda interesting. Maybe if I were a more strategic fighter, I would do better.

Or Maybe I need more practice.

After a minute or two pass, I begin to speak again. "Who are those horses?" Maybe my constant talking is annoying to her, but I have so many questions! Perhaps I'll wait another minute and ask her another question. Honestly, she doesn't seem like a mare that is put together and would have knowledge of this fight, but then again... I'm no box of chocolates either. I only recognize Note and Sabel. Are the others part of the World's Edge, too? My lack of information is annoying, but who would I even get mad at? I'm no one important yet. Why should leaders or herd members come to me to tell me about one fight?

Maybe I should start being even more active within the herd. Everyone could benefit from that.

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Adele Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Adele wasn't one for adventuring, but the words of her brother kept coming back to her. Hide in plain sight. She wanted to work on her fighting and crafting, but she figured such a thing would be easier to do within a herd. A place where she could both spy and improve upon all of her skills. The only thing was that she didn't know any of the herds. She knew there was one north of the Rotunda. The...Edge? Earth's Edge? No. Loorien's Edge? That just sounds weird. Whatever it was, she was heading straight for it.
'Do you think they'll send us away? I mean, look at me,' Adele stated to her companion, tilting her head up at the dragon who flew far above her head. The red and blue mare herself had to keep up a steady trot in order to keep up with the dragon. The little reptile was her eyes for this journey.
'No. That's never happen before,' Vera pointed out, settling the red and blue mare's nerves.
'Wait. A fight. Lots of horses. Let's watch,' Vera spoke excitedly, diving through the air. Adele was confused for a moment, but followed her companion anyways. A spar with a lot of horses sounded strange. It also sounded like another step in the direction of becoming a better fighter.
Moments later, the mare caught sight of a glittering, golden pegasus and an equine accompanied by a pale bear atop a hill. Adele slowed her pace, allowing Vera to perch upon her withers as they approached. Over the hill, the mare caught sight of four horses and three companions. No dragons. One equine. There was a unicorn, though, who looked very familiar. 'Phi's sister?' Vera suggested. Adele turned to the side to give a curt nod to the reptile before focusing her attention back on the spar below and the other mares.
As Adele came closer to the pair, she caught the golden pegasus asking the other a question. "Who are those horses?" No matter how much she didn't really care for the other species, she would always share her knowledge with them. Knowledge that wasn't particularly important, at least.
"I know the unicorn," Adele spoke, smiling at the pair as she stopped by the pegasus' side, keeping a good distance between them, though. "Ktulu. She's a hybird, actually, a uniquine. I only know her because I was such good friends with her twin, Ophelia, when we were younger," Adele spoke gently, watching the fight attentively.
"I'm Adele by the way, my companion is Vera," She stated, the pale reptile giving the others a toothy grin before crawling up her bonded's neck to rest upon her poll. It gave her a better view of the action. It almost depressed the little dragon. Vera was a natural-born fighter, and here she was, not fighting. Just watching.

text text text blah blah blah

Quilyan Posts: 206
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zarina :: Pygmy Marmoset :: Quantum Leap ChaoticMelodies
Quilyan

The deposed prince stands on the sidelines with all the rest, Zarina watching from the top of his poll. He can feel her distaste for the entire event, and though he knows that this is not like the tournaments of Th'orqui, he finds himself sharing her anxiety. As the crown prince of Th'orqui, there had been a tourney in his honor every year for his birthday, and he had been forced to watch as the realm's bravest knights fought, often to the death, for the honor of winning. It had always made him queasy, though he had never had the courage to ask Father for different rules. That was the way that things had always been and, no doubt, how they would still be if not for the Anarchists. In any case, he is more interested in the herd-mates surrounding him than those on the battlefield, and he has to fight to keep himself from wincing each time he hears the thud of hooves on flesh.

Of course, this is why he is the Specter and not the Captain. Besides, he had never fought well, anyway, not when his childhood opponents were afraid to win against the Royal Family. Or their parents were, and they instructed their children to lose on purpose. He had never understood how he was supposed to learn if he never lost, but he was glad that it had not made him cocky. Instead, he had simply watched them fight each other, vying for the favoritism of their master-at-arms, drawing blood and leaving bruises, and he had wondered why the treated him so differently. Eventually the ostracism had led him away from knighthood, but he supposes now that he managed to find his own niche even without their determined competition.

The roan mare screams wildly into the fray, and he raises a brow slightly. Her name is Lakota, which he knows even though they had yet to meet, as any good spymaster should. She is a healer, though he has to wonder what kind of nurse carries the name "Poisoner" in their title; still, by all accounts, she is fiercely loyal and at least proficient at her work, and that is all he particularly cares about. A pegasus standing nearby eyes her with a vague curiosity, and the prince listens as she voices her quickly successive queries. The young mare, golden and white, must be Aurelia, and he offers a lopsided grin in her direction. They are very much alike in looks, if not in personality (though again, he has yet to meet her, so they may be alike in that regard as well), and he is intrigued by her apparent confusion, an odd quality in a Seer.

"They are your herd-mates, m'lady," he tells her cheerfully as Zarina glowers from atop his poll. She is not particularly fond of females with the exception of Resplendence, who Zarina can't remember life without. "They are vying for the position of Captain. A tournament just happens to be the fairest way for them to prove themselves," he adds with a shrug of his wings. An equine appears then, voicing her own deductions, and the Specter smiles kindly. "I'm afraid I haven't been very polite, have I? I am Quilyan, and my companion is Zarina. She's a bit of a jealous creature, I'm afraid, so if she's rude, don't take it personally."

"Talk talk talk."
lumibear
Please tag Quilyan in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to plot with Quilyan? Visit his plot page here!

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

The commotion roused the white mares curiosity as a small group seemed to be gathering and talking among themselves as they watched whatever was unfolding before them. Ugh did she really want to go find out what this was? Her rather pendulous belly made her feel like she had swallowed a boulder, it was exhausting to try and carry around all this extra weight. Surely she couldn't get too much larger could she? If she did she would kill the stallion who made her like this, fat and bulbous. Groaning softly she took a few steps forward giving her legs a chance to start working again after having stood still for a couple hours now. Might as well go see what all this is about, she thought pulling herself up the small incline.

There are a couple familiar faces among the group, Aurelia, Lakota but who were the others standing here? If she were more social and had more energy she might have walked the extra couple of feet to find out but she really couldn't be bothered to move again. Raising her head her blue gaze fell upon the the apparent source of the entertainment with mild interest, what was this she wondered silently flicking her ears around catching bits and pieces of the others conversations for clues. The painted stag is the one who seems to have the answers, he introduces himself as Quilyan, ah yes she remembered him vaguely from a couple of the herd meetings. The figures below them never really registered until her eyes fell upon the pale pegasus, wait what?

From what she knew about competitions it was commonly one brute trying to pound the other until one came out victorious. Nausea hit her like a brick, what the hell was Note doing getting mixed into this? Looking between him and the other competitors the fear only deepened, most of the others were double his size! What was he thinking? Not only was he a friend but she had become quite fond of him over these last couple months plus there was a decent chance that he fathered the baby growing inside her. Horror held her focus but her common sense tried to reason with her to make her walk away, she didn't need the extra stress of worrying about this on top of everything. Arguing back and forth with herself she couldn't seem to pull herself away fearing the worst would happen.

Obviously she couldn't stop the competition now nor could she be angry for the stallion's careless decisions, all she could do was sit here and watch each and every strike praying that somehow he would walk away alive in the end. "Great, this was just great.." she mumbled under her breath barely audible.

Brisa speaks

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

baylee

Aurelia

"talk talk talk"

The situation becomes a notch more awkward when the blue roan mare does not answer my questions. Maybe she is so focused on the fight, she does not hear me? Is she deaf? It's strange being ignored like this. Usually, when I am being ignored, horses will avoid me, but she doesn't avoid me. She just doesn't answer. Luckily for me, a few horses arrive and bring conversation with them. The first mare that joins us is a unique color, but I've seen it before. I met her when I ran into Agrona. Right after I started arguing with the dual horned bitch, this mare left. This mare informa me of Ktulu. She says they were friends when they were younger, and I am intrigued. "That is interesting." I offer her a soft smile and continue. "Adele and Vera. I believe we met once. You had been with Agrona when I showed up." I don't know why I tell her we've met, but I tell her. Maybe she'll be comfortable with me here now? Why is she here? Is she part of the World's Edge?

Another horse comes. He is a gold and white paint pegasus. He is handsome, but not really my type. He tells me they are my herdmates, but I've only seen Note. The other three... I've failed to meet them. Maybe I should be mire active? Or maybe they should. As a seer, I should probably know all the herd members. The stallion tells me they are fighting for a position. Well, I didn't have to fight for my position as Seer? Is that position more important than the Seer? I don't get an audience watching me get my spot, why do they? I don't show my jealousy right now, but I feel it. This stallion continues talking and I listen patiently. "Quilyan and Zarina? Those are beautiful names. You have been more than polite, Quilyan." I give him a big teethy smile before announcing who I am. "I am Aurelia, this land's Seer. It's a pleasure to meet you all." This time, I am not just talking to the stallion. My greeting and compliment is extended out to everyone.

I almost miss Brisa. I invite her to join us, since she is kind of being left out of the group. "Brisa, will you join us?" Since my last meeting with this mare, I feel closer to her. Is she my friend now?

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
Lakota
The Poisoner

Beside the Poisoner there is a pegasus wandering close, wings lifted and watching her warily as if finding her unstable. Lakota arches a sophisticated brow at her, violet eyes unimpressed, and snorts softly. "Were you expecting me to be quiet when it's likely so loud down there?" Rolling her eyes she zeroes back in on the fight, deciding to hold her tongue lest she make an enemy the moment she speaks to someone aside from Kahlua and Aaron at her joining. It would be something the Poisoner would do, certainly nothing she hadn't done before, but this was supposed to be her home now. She could not treat her herdmates as she sometimes wished to. Her name is given, tearing Lakota from watching the four in the distance, and she turns sharp lilac orbs on the pale mistress. Studying her intently before deigning her worthy in some way unknown to Aurelia of the sapphire scoundrel's name. "Lakota the Poisoner, a pleasure." Silk on the blade of a dagger her lyrics are smooth and well educated, the royalty within shining through as it always tended to do upon new introductions. But the question upon Aurelia's tongue is nearly obvious, and she patiently awaits it to come spilling out. She is not disappointed.

"They battle for the position of Captain, to show whom is most fit and experienced for the role." There is no other explanation to offer, nothing lengthier that she cares to share. What else is there to know, after all? But apparently there is something more she desires to know, even though Lakota's attention is drawn to the side as an intricately colored mare approaches with her companion. The fact that she knows Ktulu sends her bristling internally, possessiveness a thorn in her stomach, even as the new information of her mate's lineage reaches her ears. It's not of much importance to her, the mare considering any offspring of different species a hybrid, does not understand what it entails that makes it supposedly worthy of noting. But she clears her throat softly to continue on with her own knowledge, of which there is only one other name on her tongue. "Indeed, Ktulu the Constrictor, my mate and previous Chieftess of the Windtossed Foothills. The large stallion is Archibald the Dauntless, yet another previous Chief of the Foothills, and once-General beneath Ktulu. He is a dear friend of mine. However I do not know the other two."

Crown shakes softly to signify that she speaks true, even as violet orbs dance to land upon Adele, far more endeared by her mannerisms than the foolish young child beside her. Even if it is not Aurelia's fault that Lakota is so hard to impress. "Lakota the Poisoner, and this is my companion Aodaun." Deep growl reverberated from her foreleg where he stood proudly, a greeting to the both of them before lime eyes went back to survey Eytan and Ktulu. He, too, desired to join the fray alongside his long time friend and partner. Quilyan's arrival draws the attention of his bonded, who gives her own vixenly flash of a smile towards the pegasus. In her time of watching from the shadows, she had found herself quite in approval of the gentlemanly spectre.

"Welcome to the show, Quilyan," she teases softly, though her greeting is sincere beneath the playfulness. Aodaun glances up at him to find Zarina, giving a short huff of a bark that causes Lakota to laugh softly. "Jealous she may be, Aodaun thinks she's splendid, he quite envies her appearance." Her own compliment lies in the tangled web of her words, a game of chance and determination to find what she wishes to say but would never be so bold as to lay out for them all to see. She, too, finds Zarina beautiful, even if her eyes sparkle with amusement at her pitifully cute attempt at jealousy.

"She worried."

It's such an odd and sudden intrusion that Lakota's features blatantly show her confusion, only to swivel her head to see Brisa staring forlornly out across the stretch of land towards the fighting horses. Moving towards her and away from the group as they interact more among one another, she clears her throat softly. "Don't worry, miss. I have been to many of these, and participated in more. It is not a fight to the death, there is a respect and courtesy among sparring partners that exists even in tournaments. Whomever has your concern, they will make it out of this beaten but in no real danger that your doctors cannot mend." There is a surety in her tone, a wisdom that conveys how much she knows about this topic, hoping to instill in Brisa a calmer state of mind. Whether she was successful or not remains to be seen, for Aurelia is once again catching her harks with her incessant voice. A seer?

Lakota looks her over, hums once to herself, which could be taken as either disbelieving or contemplative depending on Aurelia's mood. At the very least she holds her tongue, departing from Brisa's side as the pegasus insists on speaking with her, returning to Quilyan and Adele. Even as her heart races and clogs in her throat when she turns to see Ktulu's form ripping apart and transforming into a massive version of her companion, sees Archibald's panicked attempt at grounding her. Her breath flutters like a trapped bird in her ribcage even as she conceals her emotions, distrusting of these newly met herdmates. Silently she thanks Archibald for watching out for her mate, for keeping her in control when she so obviously had lost control of a magic she'd never known she'd had. From there she cannot turn her eyes from the battle, and no words are being spoken that concern her, so she is not insensitive by doing so. She does not worry like Brisa does, for the health of her mate, for she knows better than anyone how Ktulu could hold her own. No, she worries for this sudden transformation that Ktulu does not seem to be in control or aware of, for how it may treat her body in after effects.

At least she had been correct in trusting Archibald to watch out for her mate.

----

Baylee, next time please be aware of posting order and have the courtesy to ask if I was intending to post next. I was going to wait to see if anyone else was planning on joining before posting.

Chunga-Stock

baylee
[quote='Aurelia' pid='99465' dateline='1400471630']

Aurelia

"talk talk talk"

ooc:; really short! and aurelia out! :3
After everything is explained to me, the roan mare helps me understand a tad more. There is only one thing I don't understand. "Ktulu the Constrictor, my mate and previous Chieftess of the Windtossed Foothills." I do not understand. The roan must have meant the big stallion, not the mare. What even is that? I've never heard of a mare liking another mare. Is she just pushing my buttons or is she serious? What is this even called? It's not called something, because it's not a thing. There is no way a mare could like another mare. Their organs don't allow them to have, and I am pretty sure we are here to make beautiful babies. At least that is what my ancestors thought. This is why I have had a child. I am just fulfilling my purpose. Is the roan just going to ignore her obvious purpose in life and not create more generations? I am so, so, so, so confused.

This confusing mare says her name is Lakota. It's an interesting name. It seems easy to pronounce.. which is a good thing. Complicated names are like tongue twisters to me. I always wonder why mothers would give their children extremely hard names to say. Like honestly, do they hate their children? "Pleasure to meet you, Lakota the Poisoner." My voice is soft. Lakota is kind of frightening, and really... what's the word? To-the-point, maybe? I don't really like her at this point, but maybe she is one of those horses I'll have to get to know before judging.

She speaks to Brisa, telling her it's okay. I do not really want to watch this fight, so I turn away from it and begin walking away from these horses. I walk back into the woods. I hope I have slipped away, unnoticed. Is it obvious when I leave a place? My golden coat sassily walking away shouldn't be noticeable at all... unless these horses have eyes, I guess.

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

When things are difficult to watch why does it always seem like the mind is drawn to them? Each movement, each scuffle of the individuals below seemed to hold her eyes for much longer than she would have liked. In a way it was almost nauseating trying to keep up with it all while trying to maintain composure so she did not end up parking herself in the middle of the battle field. Doing such a thing was immature but she had no idea what else to do, men were just so.. so moronic at times. It was at this time that it became known to her over the speech of others around her that there was in fact a mare amongst the blockheads below. Correction everyone can be complete morons at times.

Aurelia's vocals trailed over but it took a delayed moment for her to realize it was her name that she had called. Looking over with a rather dazed expression she finally pulled herself from the activities below shaking off the novelty of it all. Stopping near where the golden mare was standing she wasn't sure what was all going on so stayed relatively quiet. She had never really been fond of Aurelia but things had changed ever since when she had sought her out for advice on her own pregnancy. It was strange how things changed as time progressed, she felt comfortable referring to the golden mare as a friend, whether or not they shared the same opinion on the subject.

The next voice she hears is that of another mare she is vaguely familiar with, Lakota. They had met awhile ago when she had tried to aid Parelia when she had been badly injured, she had seemed nice. "Don't worry, miss. I have been to many of these, and participated in more. It is not a fight to the death, there is a respect and courtesy among sparring partners that exists even in tournaments. Whomever has your concern, they will make it out of this beaten but in no real danger that your doctors cannot mend." Turning her attention to Lakota she managed to find some comfort in her words.

" I will trust your word on that, thank you." She replied gently nodding politely with a small smile. Resisting the urge to turn back to the tournament she tried to come up with some sort of conversation starter. " Its good to see you again. Are you still with the foothills uh.. I mean the falls or have you come to the Edge?" Ok so it wasn't the most creative topic in the world but it was the best her tired brain could come up with at the moment. Sleep would be lovely but apparently if you were pregnant it seemed to evade you in the later stages when you could really use it.

Brisa talks
Brisa thinks

•• TAGS: Lakota, anyone else •• NOTES: Gah not the best post, totally forgot about this thread XD ••

Table and Image by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo