the Rift

Lost claws, paws, and magic(mobiles?)

Tiergra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

TIERGRA
curiosity . . .

A flash of orange, a glint of green- barely seen amidst the thick forest. Had you really seen anything? The dappled sunlight, already muted by heavy clouds, can easily play tricks on the eyes. Perhaps it was just a bird or other forest dwell-
snap
Emerald eyes widen and snap down to the broken twig that betrayed her stealthy presence in the underbrush. Those same bejeweled eyes then shrink to slits and she narrows her gaze on her cloven hoof. Hoof? Confused, accusatory glare intensifies as her slit pupils constrict to lethal black lines in a sea of green, I don’t have hooves. Small head moves in a blur of burnt copper, black, and white as she checks her other three distal appendages. Sure enough, I have hooves. The disdain was so think within her head that it almost leaked out of her horn and spilled out into a pool of noxious, yellow goop on the deciduous forest floor. A long, leonine tail started twitching behind her, its black-tufted tip blurring in a fast tempo displeasure. Tiergra lifted her black-and-white-stockinged foreleg, bringing her black muzzle close to inspect it with delicate nostrils flared wide. She snorted, finding that at least the underside was well cushioned for stalking quietly (if not silently as her paws had allowed), and the edges and points were sharp (but still a poor replacement for her razor, amberglass claws. How will I hunt with th-

Suddenly, the dappled light dims to a gloom, interrupting her scrutiny of her new appendages, these things?, her thought finishes as she quietly replaces her cloves back into the rich soil and decay. At least that made no noise. Green, feline lamps shone in the darkness of the afternoon, and though she had no problem seeing in the low light, she called light to her amberglass horn out of habit. Well, she attempted to call light to the long, glass spear that erupted from her forehead. But nothing happened, no eerie, yellow hue illuminated the forest around her. Nothing. It was then that a smidgen of discomfort crept it’s way into her cool consciousness. The striking white beneath her eyes curved as her eyes widened once again, jaded spheres starkly offset by the white eyeliner and enlarged black pupils. A ripple traveled fluidly along her black striped, copper coat which seemed to fit loosely on her angular, thin frame. The tail now flicked ferociously to and fro, writhing like an angry snake about her sinewy haunches and long hind legs.

Her head flew up, ears flicking around in flashes of black, orange, and white. Nostrils flared. She was attempted to take in the forest with every sense available to her in the strange realm. Her senses seemed dulled here, Or are they normal now that I have no magic? How dull. The bird songs seemed to have fewer notes, the smells less vivacious. But her eyes seemed to be picking out details and, if anything, the colors were a brighter, bolder, even in the shadows. She sighed, her neck coming down to its its low balance between her bony scapulas. Her furry black mane resettled along her crest as she started forward once more, now walking up to the base of a larger pine tree. The delicate, white coat of her under-jaw and throat were exposed as she tilted her poll back to look up the tree.

"I suppose this means no climbing,” a throaty, deeply feminine voice slips smoothly into the darkness, despite the obvious displeasure laced through the words. She rocks back to her haunches, lifting her forelegs to bring her hooves to rest on the coarse bark. The sensitive new pads on her feet felt the scrape of the wood more sharply than she would have liked. These new feet had better not slow her down. Her displeasure and not being able to climb reverberated in her ribby barrel, through her chest, and escaped from her mouth as a low snar- neigh?!

Tiergra trumpeted louder in response to this most recent discovery, and dropped back down to all four legs. She may snarl, growl, roar, and maybe even bellow if the circumstances deemed it necessary. But she most certainly did not neigh. ”Absurd,” she bit out acidly to the darkness. Her tail wrapped around to her right flank to console her, tip twitching in agreement. ”What is this forsaken realm?” her question was illuminated by a flash of lightning from the clouds, their bellies full of water.

I think.
"I speak."
ooc | Yay! First post! It felt so good (if painstakingly long) to write this! :D
Also, I couldn't help myself with the title. I love that movie ;)
edit | So after reading further about all the lovely herds, I think Basin is probably the place for her conniving-ness :]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
TORLEIK
Long is the winter of a man's soul

How was it that he seemed to be finding himself in the Threshold more often, lately? What drew him here? It wasn't as if he enjoyed recruiting all that much. He found no one normal, like himself. All he came across were cunning, conniving bitches.

Literally and figuratively.

During his stay in Helovia, he had met maybe a total of a dozen other males, and twice that number of females. As he wandered, he tried to name those from both genders that he knew of. Deimos, Ulrik, Farenjer, D'Artagnan, that crazy white male whose name escaped him, Lace (the sonofabitch from the Edge), Morir, Beowulf, Evers, and more that he'd run into around the world but never actually met...that was as far as his brain got.

Now females. Illynx, Arah, Psyche, Faelene, Brisa, Ophelia - wait; that annoying white stallion who'd sent Brisa nearly over the edge...Torleik didn't care enough for his name. Ampere, the bitchy pegasus mare, and the other female whom he'd bested in the competition for Irelyn. Fallyn...where had she gone? She'd witnessed the birth of his companion and then disappeared. A shame. She had seemed fractured, but he liked her. Sialia, one whom he'd just met. Others from the Threshold he knew but could not remember. Seele, in Helovia's Heart.

With a sigh borne more of concentration and forgetting to breathe than heaviness of heart, Torleik's audits perked when he heard a female voice reach him from the left. "How did you miss this one, Irelyn?" the dual-horned stallion asked of his bonded owl-griffin.

A glare was all that he really received in turn, as both turned their attention to the northwest, seeking this voice. The scrape of hooves against tree found his ears and this made him curious. What was this horse doing? A neigh suddenly burst forth from the brief silence, followed by another, more primal vocalization of frustration.

The female voice again, saying something was 'absurd' and then musing aloud that she wondered where this hellhole was. Torleik had finally come upon this creature, finding her markings to be wholly unlike anything he'd ever encountered before. She was a unicorn, that was certain, as her amber, almost translucent horn stated clearly, but her pelt was oranges and whites and black and stripes....nothing he'd ever seen until now.

Amused - he couldn't help it - at her anger, his reply was brief, tone lighter than her low, throaty displeasure. "This 'forsaken realm' is typically called Helovia," he rumbled, humored. Torleik glanced up as lightning flashed in the sky, the clouds thick and grey, pregnant with rain and ready to give birth. Lovely, he thought, annoyed. Now I will freeze everything I step on... The Basin General neglected to introduce himself, as there would be no point, should this strange mare prove too suspicious to stick around.

@[Tiergra]

---------------------------------------
OOC: Welcome!

"talk talk talk"
'Mental talking'
Thoughts

Credits: Image by Flowering Fatality @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Unregistered

TIERGRA
curiosity . . .

Emerald eyes snap with an energy that travels in a jolt through her loose-fitting, striped coat. It had been a long time, Years? since someone had been able to approach Tiergra without her being the wiser. A slight frown stole across her face- had she really been that reliant on her magic? Embarrassing.

She then noted the stallion’s amusement at her, the slight frown deepening. Tiergra was not fond of being the source of another’s entertainment. The frown slid off her face as the focus of her eyes sharpened.

She turned her attention outward, predatory gaze traveling carefully over the larger, more muscular stud, lingering uncomfortably long on his dual demonic horns. They reminded her of the small, delicious deer from her time on the sun weathered plains. Thoughts of those tasty morsels caused her more concern- My teeth? Soft, smooth black lips part as her fleshy pink tongue sucks the edges of her teeth. She found them still sharp (not replaced with useless herbivore teeth by the strange barrier magic of this ’Helovia’). Her canines, though, had shrunk to half their size, but were still prominent. And she had gained a second sharp tooth behind them- How convenient.

It was then that she realized she was standing in the presence of a stallion larger and stronger than herself, showing off her teeth in a display that could be interpreted as threatening. Not the impression I would have wanted. She pressed her soft black lips back together, a suppressed smile hinting at the corners of her mouth. I must appear as insane, she mused to herself, mentally reviewing her recent actions.

Helovia, indeed.” Emphasis on the beginning of this realm’s name drew the husky words from her throat as she broke the pregnant pause. “Tell me, do all unicorns here have horns such as yours?” Though Tiergra did not know for certain that this black stallion was a unicorn, she had heard of alternative horn types in lore, but had not yet seen it. Her gaze leaves his horns to rest in his own as emeralds meet sapphires.

Tiergra then realized a more pressing matter required her attention. She was certainly off-balance in this new world, “I assume there is magic in this place?” Feline eyes flicker across his larger body once more, before resting at his gaze again. Perhaps introductions would be beneficial, though I am not sure I wish to be known yet. In Tiergra’s experience, the more information one could retain about oneself while learning more about others was generally more beneficial than the reverse. Thus, she issued her final query in the twenty question game she realized- too late- she was suspiciously playing, “And you are?”

Definitely clumsy to demand all this information and offer none herself. Undetectably, she raced to think of a tidbit of information to offer of herself, “Passing over the threshold to these lands seems to have shifted parts of me. I am unfamiliar with that type of barrier.” She could have offered her name, but in her previous travels the small demon Rumpelstilzchen had taught her that names could be powerful things.

Green eyes flicker to his horns, his lips, and back to his eyes as she awaits his responses. Their depths are eerily illuminated with white light as a tongue of electricity forks across the sky, the clouds vocalizing their displeasure at being stretched full to bursting with rumbling thunder.

She thinks.
"She speaks."
ooc | Thank you! I'm so rusty, please bear with me! And I'm curious, is the water always coming out of his hooves?

TORLEIK
Long is the winter of a man's soul

Torleik raised a brow as the mare's obviously predatory gaze roved over his body, wondering if she was enjoying what she saw, or simply sizing him up. Having taken to the tree above the mare they were interacting with, Irelyn gazed down from above, her flight silent in her own predatory way. Owls were nocturnal hunters, and combined with the natural grace of a feline, the owl-griffin would be a force to be reckoned with one day despite how small she would remain.

The Bloodskald's brow continued to be elevated as he watched this mare thrust her tongue out of her blackened lips and suck around her teeth - teeth, he noted, that were sharper than a horse's should be. Then again, unicorns were genetically different, he supposed. After all, he was pureblooded and didn't exhibit some of the typical characteristics of his kind. Her suppressed smile was returned by his own slow, lingering grin, one that said he was still processing what all had happened so far, and hadn't yet come to a decision on how he felt.

She made a play on the name of Helovia, which amused him; wordplay was a talent that his people valued and he appreciated the intelligence that went along with said skill. "Indeed," he rumbled, smirking. Torleik shook his dual-horned head at her question. "No, the unicorns here have all manner of horns; single spiral horns, single straight horns, dual horns like mine, dual horns in a straight line, triple horns in a straight line..." he trailed, shrugging.

Torleik wondered why she leveled such a specific query at him while he again watched her eyes rove over him - this time ending at his own. His were cool and curious, allowing her no insight into whether her consistent inspection of his pleased or displeased him. "Magic, most certainly." The glacial-eyed demon dipped his head down towards his hooves, picking one up off the ground for a few seconds and then replacing it on the ground. As he did so, the springtime grass suddenly froze over and remained that way for a few seconds before thawing once more. "Just a small example." The General did not find it prudent to display his more intense magic. That would come off as desperate to impress and insecure in his self without magic. Neither of which currently described Torleik.

She asked of his identity then and he nodded towards Irelyn stealthily sitting in the tree, watching as she swooped low over this mare's head to land on his horns. She had become large enough now to drape herself across both, and she did so now, large, owlish eyes suspiciously watching the unicorn across from her bonded. Something instinctual told her that the mare was not like her bonded, that there was something dangerous about her appearance. However, the owl-griffin had never come across a tiger in this place and could not put a name or picture to her unsettled emotions.

"Torleik the Bloodskald," he answered. "Yourself?". The strangely colored mare indicated that this place had changed her physically and this intrigued the stallion. "Shifted parts of you how?" he asked, shifting his weight back on his haunches a little. The sky rumbled once more and lightning flashed to indicate the growing presence of a possible storm. Hm Turning, the dual-horned demon indicated the mare should follow. "Come. Walk with me. The storm looms, but we may be able to avoid it if we move now."

----------------------------------------------
OOC: No, the ground freezes when he steps on it, then fades after a little bit. It only re-freezes if he picks up his hooves for a few seconds, or if he's feeling a particularly strong emotion, the ground might stay frozen :)

@[Tiergra]

"talk talk talk"
'Mental talking'
Thoughts

Credits: Image by Flowering Fatality @ DA

No man is an island.

Unregistered

TIERGRA
curiosity . . .

Tiegra noted his amusement with surprised pleasure, for the play on words had been for herself. But the striped mare certainly enjoyed another who appreciated wit as much as her, and a small smile turned the edges of her mouth up, sparkling behind her eyes. She dipped her head slightly in understanding of the coal stallion’s description of horn qualities within Helovia, ambergrlass horn glinting as it moved through the dappled light. At least now she would have a general idea of what she would encounter. The unicorns here? Did that imply there were non-unicorns?, thoughts float through her mind as she heard the ashy demon’s words. Then, her jaded eyes sparked as the they rivet to the ground at his feet to watch the frost spring up in delicate curls, bright alabaster against his solid onyx hooves.

Curiosity lighted her eyes, making them less predatory. Her features, once sharp and angular, softened and became more feminine. Although her face was not beautiful or lovely, for cunning and wit had long since buried those qualities, she became more striking and elegant as she took in the stallion’s magic. The white beneath her eyes gentled the deep green as it reflected into the widened spheres rimmed with black lashes. The green then turned to the glacial eyes of the dark stud, and though she had a lifetime of training her face to show what she wished it to, a glimmer of desire made itself known.

Despite it being but a smidgen of magic, the tigress assumed- from her experience- that where there were small magics, there was larger magic. "I see. How did you obtain that magic?” curiosity colored her voice gently, a purr instead of a throaty-

Snap

Her sharp teeth loudly closed on the empty air behind the griffin as the as the wind eddies brushed the sensitive skin of her head, her black ears sucked flat with her skull. She had been so intent on the frost that her ears missed the wind whispers of the owlish creature until it had surprised her vision and was beyond the scope of her jaws. Eyes once again narrowed into predatory silts, and she had dropped into a slight crouch in response to this ambush from above; her leonine tail that had been quietly looping behind her, now twitching in an agitated tempo.

Her catlike crouch was still as she watch the griffin alight her acquaintance’s horns, and she recognized it as a griffin. Her teeth, which had been exposed from her overreaction, sheathed once again behind her black lips, and she carefully straightened out of her pouncing position. Her tail, however, made her irritation known at being surprised twice within a short span by continuing to writhe quickly behind her, a blur of black and orange.

She heard and watched the stallion give his name, with no apparent hesitation. So it must be safe to use names, Although, I’m not certain I can trust my instincts here, she thought drily. "The pleasure is mine, Torleik,” the flatness of her tone left one wondering if she spoke with sarcasm or if she merely said the greeting of habit, "I am Tiergra.”

Feline gaze which had been trained unblinkingly on the griffin, returned Torleik’s dark face. "I apologize for assailing your,” she paused, searching for the correct word since griffins usually were not ‘pets’, "companion.” She looked back up at the griffin, eyes still unblinking, "Perhaps more caution is wanted with newcomers, little one,” she addressed the creature, the reprimand was careful. She was not sure if she would be understood, but it was in poor taste of Tiergra to attempt to eat something without a warning attempted.

She fell beside the larger stud as he invited her to walk with him. Although he was of a larger stature and longer leg as compared to her slender, smaller frame, her strides were long and catlike so they were well matched in speed. In response to his last question, a feline growl rumbled softly in her throat before she answered, "I am not usually as easily surprised,” she snorted her derision at herself, "and I’ve paws, with claws that are considerably useful for climbing,” she turned her eyes disdainfully at her cloven hooves moving quietly in the underbrush.

She returned her gaze to the direction of travel, "I also usually have magic,” her tail began twitching in larger motions, the tufted tip accidentally snapping against the stud’s hindquarters, though it had a mind of its own so Tiergra did not seem to notice. "I find not having it leaves me feeling quite…” she eyed the stallion and his griffin out of the corner of her eye, vulnerable.”

A few large drops of rain splattered around them, one landing against her amberglass horn. The large droplet reflected a prism of tannic, muted light as paused for a moment, attempting to grip to this slick surface, before succumbing to gravity and beginning its reluctant roll down to the horn’s base. Tiergra eyed the woods around them, "To where are we walking?” query was guarded, borderline suspicious, but her gait never faltered as she slunk through the trees with the demonlike stallion.

She thinks.
"She speaks."
ooc | I'm sorry for the delay- I ended up getting sick and hospitalized blah blah blah. But I'm better now! :) And have nothing to do but respond as I heal :)

Torleik
The beard of glory...

Not accustomed to manipulative, cunning females, Torleik found himself warmed but wary by the glimmer of desire that flickered in this strange mare's eyes after he demonstrated his magic. Did she want him, or the capabilities he possessed? He wasn't sure, and doubted asking would yield him a proper answer - so he pushed aside any pride he might have felt over the look she gave him and buried it deep. The stallion was not fool enough to be ignorant of the ways women beguiled men, even if he did sometimes fall prey to the tactics.

She asked him how he had obtained that magic, and his smile was somewhat rueful. "I haven't the slightest clue, unhelpful as that is. I visited a god to seek his favor and was rejected. I attempted to obtain magic when an orb of it was up for grabs, and I could not. After the season of Frostfall, I realized that the ground froze beneath my hooves." It was truthful. He had won no contest, received no favor from the gods; the only object he'd won, if it could be called that, was the molten egg Irelyn had been laid in. The magic? It had come slowly, over time.

A sudden and violent crash of this mare's pointed teeth together made him tense, and the stallion felt a wave of fury drown him as Irelyn wheeled to the side to avoid being a meal before alighting on him. Confusion reigned through their bond, wondering why this thing had tried to attack her. Torleik snorted and lifted a massive hoof, smashing it down to the ground just inches from the crouching mare's face.

A single warning.

"You had best keep your mouth to yourself, mare, lest I break your sharpened maw for such insolence," he growled, voice low and dangerous. "You are new here, so I will allow you that one mistake. Do not repeat it," the General of the Basin warned.

Begrudingly, he shared his name without fear - a name was a name. He was not some spy, some thing to hold secret identities or aliases, and received hers in return, along with an apology for snapping at his companion. Tiergra addressed Irelyn with a reprimand and, to his amusement, his owl-griffin defiantly clicked her beak at the strange mare in response.

"Not wrong," Irelyn sullenly grumbled telepathically.

"Perhaps you should warrant a closer application of your own advice," the Bloodskald returned as they began to walk. He did not trust this woman, not at all, especially when he learned she used to have some sort of predatory form with paws and claws. She would make a rather perfect machine of violence amongst the soldiers, though, that he could not deny.

"From what I understand -" he began, cut off by the surprise sting of a tail smacked against his backside. The hell was that? Torleik hadn't the slightest clue how to feel about what had just occurred. "...the borders of Helovia have magic that strips all newcomers of any previous companions or obtained magic. Or so I have heard. I had neither when I arrived so I felt little different." His gaze briefly roamed over her body. "It also seems, in some cases, it changes physical forms." The Bloodskald was still quite unhappy with Tiergra's behavior towards his companion, but knew he had to let it go for now. He had warned her. She knew better. Now. "You will have ample opportunity to regain magic, I am sure."

The rain began to fall around them, Irelyn giving a low growl of discontent. She did not like being wet. His current audience asked where they were walking and he nodded forward. "To the Aurora Basin, where most unicorns reside." His reply was simple and succinct as they left the cover of the trees, and the heavier rainfall, and began the gradual ascent. Some time passed in silence as they crossed the scrubby, tundra-covered land before they finally approached the massive sentinel that guarded the Basin's entrance. Halting in front of the sentinel, the Bloodskald turned to face the predatory mare. "If you wish to be a part of the Basin herd, I will take you inside. If you do not, I must leave you here, as the sentinel will not let you pass without an escort."

Torleik did not feel compelled to invite her in; something about her raptorial nature prevented him from extending a welcome. It was like inviting a wolf into his cave while he slept. If she wanted to choose the Basin, he would allow her; if not, he had given her enough information about this place to go elsewhere.

@[Tiergra]

---------------------------------
OOC: Oh no! I'm glad you're doing better, and no worries! I had wondered where you went off to and hoped you'd come back :D Welcome back, and I hope you heal up quickly!

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

No man is an island.

Unregistered

TIERGRA
curiosity . . .

Surprise flittered through her thin barrel at the larger stallion’s angry reaction, but she kept it there within her ribs and did not allow it to change her gait or color her face. Her green lamps shutter open and close, as the dirt from his solid black hoof scattered into her delicate corneas and across her exotic face. She would do well to remember that this larger stallion was not one to avoid brute force, and remember it well she would be sure to do- and respect it in the future.

It’s always posturing and violence with stallions, bemused thoughts drift through her head as they strode in tense silence. She did, however, allow the smallest of smiles curl the corners of her mouth up at the little griffin’s cheekiness, That little one has pomp, she glanced her emerald eyes once more at the griffin alighted on her dual horn perch as they approached the sentinel, but it’s endearing. Her smile grew larger, “I’m sorry, I did not hear your little one’s name?” The grin was cheshire-like, but not as openly taunting.

The tigress’s loose pelt twitched as she felt his eyes roam her coat. Though her figure was pleasing and her face certainly not ugly, she understood the reason for careful once-over. Her stripes were stark onyx daggers against the bright coppery-orange. This coloration was a warning sign, as were her teeth and twitching tail, to any equid; her predatory gaze driving the this cautionary tale home. So she recognized the reserve in the stallion’s eyes, it was not new to her. Though, normally, she could rely upon her silver tongue or feline graces to quell the unease she created in new acquaintances. Clearly not so with this one, she allowed her gaze once more to range the stud, although this time she kept it to his face and neck- particularly the underside. If he was so convinced of her predatory nature, then this tigress would stop trying to convince him otherwise. Perhaps this would keep eyes and face clear of dirt in the future.

“I think, perhaps, we all might partake of the advice,” she quietly purrs these words. The words, themselves, were not a warning, but were a diplomatic agreement to his statement. Her tone, however, begged- or growled- to differ.

“And I am quite glad to hear that of magic, Torleik,” she continued speaking, but her voice became throaty once more. Conversational, one might say, but that could be a stretch of the word. And she carefully mouthed his name, sounding the dual syllables on her tongue, drawing them out. Playing with them as a cat does with the prizes it catches.

As they stopped at his herd land’s boundaries, she nodded at his words, her horn dipping low as it’s long point glinted through the hair. Her half nod-half bow ended as she rose her head, “You’ve intrigued be to enter your herdlands,” she paused, ironic smile crossing her face once more as she reviewed the lack of cordiality she faced, “I would be indebted if you would kindly be my escort.” The emphasis on the last word was comical, perhaps in a mocking way; but this was mitigated by the true smile that beamed across her features. Despite the sharp teeth it exposed, the feline features now became beautiful- but uncannily so. One could now partially see how intrigue was written throughout her past.

She thinks.
"She speaks."
ooc | Hmm, well I don't know how she became this predatory... Oh well. Thank you :) I'm already doing better! I tried to not drag this out any longer, but I couldn't help myself with her taunting-ness >.<