[OPEN] Bringing Daylight to The Night

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
i just want someone to save me
i'll always be there when you wake

After a long and tiring journey, you slink back into the desert without a word, dual colored ears tipped backward to listen to the steady, still sleeping breath of your canine child. Flies zip around your hot body, a day that is preparing you all for the upcoming Tallsun season creating a sweat drenched coat; a salty feast for hungry flies to run their sticky tongues across. Beneath a cloak of thick hair, Ouija wiggles uncomfortably, finally waking from her long nap. She peeks out from under the matt of hair that she had balled up, her jaws spreading apart and long pink tongue curling with a big yawn.

"Afternoon, sleepy head." you whisper, skull pulling back to let a cool gush of breath escape from flared nostrils and onto the fox's warm face. She pants heavily against your breath, closing her small mouth for only a second to attempt to shake the sleep out of her head. Once big black eyes open once more to the dry land, she hops off of your back, leaving you wincing against the push of sharp little toe nails. The long fall from your withers is more than the young cub expects, and her expected graceful land ends up turning into a hard thunk and a whole bunch of dust shooting into the air. Nervous, you pause in your steps, glossy eyes looking down to where Ouija lays on her belly, back legs sprawled out as if she was trying to peddle backward mid-jump.

A delighted laugh fills the dry environment, your bloodied snout dropping to the fox's scruff to pick her up. Back on her feet after an uncomfortable left by the neck, she lays her massive ears back, glaring at you for a moment before dropping her jaw to pant hard again. "I know, I'm thirsty too." You mumble, continuing to move on toward the remaining pool of water in the center of your dusty home. Jagged red rocks rise in the sky as you move, accenting nicely against a clear blue sky. There have been a few heavy rains through out the season, but nothing that has taken any lives, as far as you are aware. Flooding was not an issue here, was it? Surely the ground would drink up much of the rains.. though, the clay doesn't drink up water, does it?

The sand gives under all eight feet; Ouija leaving tiny indents in the soft grains, where as you leave large divots that clearly show the signs of life. It doesn't take too long before there are bodies spotted around the property.. every one of them accompanied by wings. You will never fit in we remind you, tracing hot finger nails across the base of your skull. Our colored windows return to the white mutt trotting along side your body, the need for a drink very apparent against her dry, lolling tongue. You swallow a small amount of saliva hard, tensing up at the idea of being unrecognized and chased out. It wouldn't be surprising, but it would also cause a lot of heart ache.

Rightly so, you keep your eyes cast down to the path before you, walking to the oasis with a submissive aura radiating off of every square inch of your body.

Text here "Chat here." Voices here
Tagged: Open! <3

i like watching puddles gather rain
Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Lost beneath a haze of thoughts and swarming worries, she who was still the unlikely ruler of this once powerful region, did not notice the slip of familiar hooves descending the warm banks to grace the edge of the Throat’s cool, lapping waters. Africa held not the concentration of a warrior, nor nerves of steel or strapping strength to face against the flooding concerns as they pooled within her tender mind. An intelligent creature- one whose life path was paved and secure and not swayed by the changing winds, might have been out rebuilding the empire which still seemed so helplessly to lay at her lax feet. But the young heart was lonely and burdened, aching for the loss of friends who had on so many occasions been both like a rock foundation for her to grow upon, and a guiding light for her to follow. Now, she was alone and quite vulnerable as the insecurities within nipped hungrily at her confidence.

Always she reminded herself that understanding well above and beyond her own mortal reasoning had seen some presence in her that was worthy of the responsibility she now shouldered. It had not been a decision made personally, but by the patron of this sunburnt country who was both all knowing and all seeing. Nostrils rattled a dismal sigh as the taught dappled skin canvassing her lean, but well built body flinched beneath the bite of teeming flies. They fussed relentlessly about the crusts which had formed by the corners of glazed eyes and bothered aggravatingly the fine, sparse whiskers dressing her muzzle. Again she shooed them, tossing briskly her pale face to dislodge their ravenous feeding. Like a sweeping curtain before her eyes, the thick grey forelock snagged behind an ear fell to shield her refocusing creamy gaze.

Africa slowly cast her eyes around the great lake which was truly their lifeblood. Many had gathered through the course of the afternoon, seeking respite she presumed lazily, beneath the dappled shade proffered by ribbon-like palm leaves and the few lush trees who had been daring enough to set their roots so far south of the mainland. Despite the humidity, thick and choking while the air held so still, the oasis was indeed a harbor of luxury and cool relaxation. As she ventured left, legs unmoving all the while, to view that side of her, the one-winged mare noticed quickly the contrasting figure of an old acquaintance- a friend she still boldly believed. It had been many weeks since the meeting she had chaired with Ampere (a whole season in fact), and she felt the weight of guilt set within her weary chest for she had failed to find Voodoo afterwards.

He seemed to be making his way towards the Throat, companion at foot panting against the wrath of the impending Tallsun. Africa felt for the creature as she watched them near; her coat appeared thicker than any native desert dweller and from what she understood of her kind, of foxes in general, they were better suited to forests and the like. Turning quietly upon grinding knees, she offered the well-grown, attractive stallion a kind of sheepish smile. “Voodoo, how are you?” Gingerly her softly gaze roamed across the smaller animal whose name she still did not know. The mare wished not to interrupt their journey should thirst have parched their tongues already, and moved not to block their path.

Image Credits

Tagged: @[Voodoo]

Voodoo

With tired, weary eyes glued to the red sand below cracked and chipped feet, you can feel Ouija's mind stirring happily; but whether it's about the realization that the two of you had finally reached the water or that she had found someone else to pay attention to her, you're not sure. "Voodoo-" her voice reaches out, the warmth that rests in her heart lacing her words. Your dull eyes reach up from the ocean of sand, finding Africa's genuine smile as inviting as ever. "- how are you?" Your ears both rotate forward, skull lifting from between your shoulders in order to look a little more representative. "Africa! I am.." you pause, looking for a word that will actually explain how you are without worrying the Sultana. "Alive and well."

Ouija -surprisingly- trots right past the two of you, her tongue licking her small black nose, but not wetting it at all. Her hot pads jump into the water, a look of ease wiping over her dehydrated face; soon enough, she is laying in the shallows, lapping up the water that is washing away the forest filth and sweaty grime. You glance at the kit, lips tightening at the film that now surrounds her, but you don't say anything because you know that the canine will just ignore you. "How- how have you been, my friend? Running the Throat must be a great duty." Endless eyes find themselves set on the soft glow of yellow crafted ever so gently into Africa's face, a proud smile curving the corners of faux bloodied lips upward.

Ouija splashes onto her side, jumping up excitedly right afterword as the water engulfs her face. She finds her feet again, leaping onto all four and shaking her body out violently. Both ears lay back on her white neck before she turns to study the two of you with curious black eyes, the view of the stranger who makes your stomach alive with steel butterflies brings her ears up. A sharp yap shatters your attention and the pup prances toward the two of you, sniffing all the while to scan her memory in attempts to find the mare's scent. You glance down at your feet, the fox sitting between them and staring up at the grey. "This is Ouija. Ouija, meet Africa."

Slowly, you drop your mug to lip at the wet fur that sits in waves against the top of her small skull, creating small cowlicks. She growls softly, though she actually finds the situation to be both entertaining and loving; her favorite pass times seem to be hiding below your hair, tripping you by sitting and running through your legs, and being booped on the head by her equine father.

Tagged: @[Africa]
Ooc: Oh he's going to be so excited to tell her everything, xD

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased

Quite unexpectedly Africa’s rather empty stomach seemed roused to life with the tickle of a thousand butterfly’s wings. Rummy-nose was the affectionate name she used to so secretly know him by, and immediately the childish urge to call him that bubbled across her tongue. Carefully her teeth tightened against the foolishly giddy thought, and she smiled quietly instead- the lightness of the expression not filled with the vibrancy and reckless excitement of youth; in its place the delicately traced lines of experience and empathy. Her tail brushed silently backwards and forwards against the blackened point of her hocks and throughout it flames curled and danced wildly to the tune of unspoken emotion. As his unsettlingly dull ruby eyes lifted from the loose surface of the sand, they collided with the waiting gaze of bright caramel and she could not help but sink longingly beneath the stew of his thoughts to a time when they’d once romped as mere children.

The memory, as she slipped within, was blurring already; the long grass by the Heart surrounding him rippling violently as time threatened to erase fine detail. He was alone, lost under the weight of deliberation perhaps, until the hasty clatter of hooves drew him clear. The grey mare passing did not see him as she gambolled always nearer to the molten lake; she was preoccupied and though the vision was devoid of emotion, the watching spirit noticed the rapid backwards slip of the colt’s blood-stained ears. She remembered vaguely (as her own recollection wavered), how her skin had crawled so terribly beneath his ravenous stare and how she had thought at first that he'd been something like a wolf hunting. With smog lolling overhead, she watched as he began to follow her- to pace, like a predator through the grass...

Africa!...

She was pulled instantly from his mind, her face jerking slightly as though he had woken her from slumber. Nevertheless the smile still sat warmly across the quiver of her grey lips. No time had passed, though Voodoo was not as hunched as he had been when first they had slipped into view. His ears were pricked to attention and Africa’s swivelled forward in much the same fashion to listen as he answered in brief. Innocently- though well aware of the plaguing sickness (of sorts) which had troubled him the length of time they’d known each other, the young dappled mare nodded. As she did so, the little snowy fox continued by, tongue caressing in vain the black tip of her sweet face. For a moment sandy eyes followed her path, intrigued that this stallion had come to be in such complementary company. The little canine did not hesitate by the edge of the lapping lake’s edge, instead busting into the air and landing with a small splash in the cool.

Again Voodoo’s voice enticed back her attention, and she answered him neatly and gently. “You could say that, yes.” Africa had never considered herself to be the quintessence of leadership- she thought little more of herself than an imprudent, simple mind actually; certainly lacking the strength and prowess of those who had filled the seat before her. Long gone were the days of no direction and silliness. “We’ve been well enough though...” she concluded with a mild shrug and a soft scoff, wondering in that moment when her companion would return. The unusual presence of Voodoo’s smile (she had no reason to doubt its credibility) cheered her, though his lacklustre eyes were slight cause for concern.

The pup yapped, leaving to water to join the grulla stallion where he had remained to talk with Africa. He introduced them amiably and the one-winged lowered also, fluttering nostrils in greeting. “Silas is patrolling at the moment.” She explained, not altogether he would provide terribly inspiring company anyway. Lifting her face again, she asked her old friend, “Tell me, are you comfortable here? I mean, aside from the heat.” She giggled lightly, tilting her face as affection found its way through her kindly expression. “Is there anything I can do for you? A direction you hope to work towards?” Africa wanted so desperately for Voodoo to be content in the Throat. She knew well that it was the opposite in nearly every aspect to the Basin where once he had bedded, and that it was not nearly so glamorous- yet.

[Ooc: Dumbass Riven has no idea why she was referring to Ouija as a he -.- all fixed up. I hope you don’t mind I used her magic! I will change it if not]

Image Credits

Voodoo

Africa's words, as gentle as ever, seemed to be plagued with some sort of hidden emotion; whether it was that comes along with leading or even a personal issue within her own heart, you couldn't quite pinpoint, and there really wasn't enough time to search within your brain for any other ideas because we have started throwing a temper tantrum and throwing old files about in your skull. Aren't we so much fun? Both back to back full and empty papers flutter around in our small apartment as we dance around, stepping on all of your memories in attempts to stop you from thinking too hard. It just might hurt your little brain someone mocks in a baby voice.

Your brows furrow at the idea of your friend being unhappy, but you know you have nothing to offer to help.. Well, nothing but your companionship. A memory that we seem to miss allows you to recreate a scene in your head, and we stop and watch the film play against the backs of your bloodied eyes: The darkness went on forever, and the smell was foul and dank; had you two found the caves before anyone else had? The underground prison that held so many bodies in the belly of Helovia.. was that it? The heat constantly pulsing off of the gray's body was suddenly against your chest, and you could feel the shock and awkwardness that grew feverishly in your entire body. Just coming into a stage of puberty that you didn't understand at even the most basic level, you remember panicking, but liking it too much to just leave it be.

Your cheeks flush beneath black fur at the thought of your first meeting and where this friendship began to flourish, and now that you're back out of your own head, you notice Africa's molten eyes watching your own. A shaky breath is held tight in your lungs, and you beg to us to straighten up and be quiet. Both ears rotate backward in an ashamed manner, knowing that you can't let go of something that happened so long ago. This is when Ouija wiggles into view, and the Starry-eyed directs her attention downward, the tight breath finally bursting from your nostrils in a loud sigh, the introduction following. "Silas is patrolling at the moment." You nod, quickly remembering the fire bird that you had met when Africa had found you solemnly hiding in the Threshold.

Ouija reaches out to the gray muzzle that stretches down to her, sniffing rapidly and licking her little chops as water droplets form against white fur. Her large ears cup forward, her tongue sliding out from between small sharp teeth, big eyes staring up happily at the mare. Thankfully, she's finally learned that jumping on everyone isn't the way to get their attention, and dirtying their legs isn't exactly adorable. The Sultana lifts her grown head up once more, her question to whether or not you're comfortable plucking at numerous strings in your mind; really, no.. You're not comfortable anywhere, but as long as you have somewhere to come home to, then it's good enough, right? A soft chuckle rattles your narrow chest for a moment before you respond, ears flicking forward once more. "I'm as comfortable as I'll ever be-" you smirk, hoping that your dear friend will understand what you mean.

"I just stand out. A lot." Glossy pits roll upward to gesture at the red bone jutting from your skull, falling back down to her dreamy eyes again after a second. Your weight shifts uncomfortably beneath a tired body and you lick the back of your teeth, craving the water that's so close by. Ouija -growing bored ever so quickly- stands back up, shaking out once more before trotting over to Africa, hoping to rub against her leg as a warm goodbye, before leaving to stock birds that surround the oasis.

As for her following question, you blink quietly, not quite sure how to answer it. Do you want to do anything with yourself? Perhaps you should figure out what exactly you would be willing to do with your life.. you are growing older, and you have a.. RYUU! The excitement that already makes your stomach bubble bursts and a wide smile replaces slack lips. "Anything to help my son." You mumble, the raspy coating of your voice making the words more audible than you had believed. Another paper flurries down from the air after hanging up there for quite some time, landing flat against the bottom of your skull: Ryuu's dual colored eyes, full of misery at such a young age. All you can seem to remember is his small ears shooting forward and the velvet touch of a child against your own hardened mug. A hard thud makes your heart hurt at the idea of Ryuu growing up without a father; you have to find your son.

Ooc: Haha, no big deal. I don't mind at all, search that void as much as you'd like! Lol.

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased

The Starry-Eyed had not realised her breath had been held in anticipation; her jaw clenched tightly together, ears straining forward hopefully. She watched him steadily with still a light smile dressing the gentle purse of her lips, and was more than relived to hear (when at last he answered), that he was comfortable enough. She understood quickly the smooth jest beneath his words and chuckled openly in response- enjoying for the first time since the Darkness, the care-free feeling of his company. She wanted to ask what truly ailed him; whether she had been right telling Midas so long ago that his mind was corrupt, his thought’s quite unbalanced. But Africa liked the way he stood cloaked with obscurity, shrouded in mystery, and she enjoyed the random nature of his friendship. They were so unalike, and though she had quirks of her own (not so dissimilar actually), she was more than fascinated, and entertained by her unusual friend.

He explained, gesturing awkwardly with rolling red eyes that his horn seemed not to fit so snugly with the Throat’s primarily winged population, and she scoffed playfully, butting her soft pink-snipped nose towards him. “You are paranoid Voodoo.” Tender eyes found themselves fallen upon the crisp white (soggy) coat of the pup by his blackened legs. “Little Ouija with her thick snow coat? She stands out in this desert.” Africa giggled confidently, feeding off the comfort she felt in the moment and snuffled affectionately, dipping her nose to brush the ground at the restless fox’s level. The mare’s sheer white forelegs remained still as the tiny creature rubbed against them before setting off, and the grey lifted her face away once more. “It doesn’t matter anyway, we are not bound to any race here- not any more. And there's another Throatling who shares markings uncannily similar to your own. You’d be amazed...” she breathed lastly, remembering with some bewilderment that Sacre was bound also to a fox.

Left alone, their conversation continued.

Her stream of questions was met with an ever expanding smile; one which seemed instantly to brighten the unremitting stain of blandness she had come rather to admire. Her pale eyes widened, stunned by the rare glimmer of expression; of excitement. He revealed then, that a son had been born to him and she remembered with a start (the realisation of the situation suddenly falling upon her, like the Throat's wall to the sea), that Aurelia had mentioned her child was his own. A momentary pang of jealously tweaked her gut, but she quashed it swiftly, swallowing hard. She held personally little favour for the ungrateful gold-touched mare who had turned on Africa’s love and care as only a child- and then imagined she might place her own brood in care after. She could feel the fine hair along her spine bristle- was Voodoo’s that same babe?

Congratulations,” she offered promptly, not letting her distaste for the mother stand in the way of her gladness for the stallion before her. “Where is he now?” Africa continued, probing delicately despite the slight guilt building through her heart. The Starry-Eyed wasn’t certain she was ready to accommodate Aurelia in her home... her life, again. Regardless, she found instantly a non-judgemental warmth for the boy; the offspring of one so dearly treasured.

Image Credits

Voodoo

The ease that glazed over each tense muscle allows your face to rise up a little higher and your shoulders to relax, making you almost look regal and - we can't help but begin to laugh hysterically - brave. "You are paranoid Voodoo." her soft nose reaches out playfully and you can't help but return the same motion, hoping to bump her nose softly before she pulls back. The Sultana points out that your little bonded isn't quite suited for the desert either, and you chuckle softly at the sight of your damp canine. Her soft giggle fills the air like old music, your nostrils drawing in and expelling the dry air in steady rhythms as you hope to capture the loving sound in a mental note.

The cub runs her cooled body against her new friend, yapping once more before sneaking away and attempting to hide her starch white coat in the greenery of the oasis. Africa continues, pointing out that you were apparently not the only one who is so easy to stand out against bright, earthy soils. Your ears -having been tipped forward- turn back in confusion; had Aurelia brought Ryuu here? He doesn't look that much like you though.. at all really. He simply shares the same color as you in a few different spots.

Finally, you are allowed to answer the question, directing the conversation into a completely different turn. You're not sure what you expected: did you want the grey that you've always held in your heart as your "first crush" to jump in surprise, or be bitter and become sour toward you? "Congratulations." She offers, the warmth of her voice showing nothing but happiness toward your new fatherhood. Your stomach - a twisted mess already - bubbles uncomfortably and you suck in a deep breath, her question of his whereabouts causing you to shake your head quietly as you thought.

Glossy eyes drop once more from the angelic face of your friend, ashamed to admit that you have no idea where your own offspring is. But.. Africa is not one to be harsh or judge, surely she would understand under the circumstances, right? The breath is released in a partial sigh while you speak, your eyes still cast downward, watching the still sand around rough feet. "He lives in the World's Edge with his mother..." you hesitate to offer her name, but figure that the golden-dappled mare hadn't made it all the way over here. "Aurelia." you finish, the word actually fitting into the same sentence with only the slightest of pauses.

Both ears tip back against your poll now, remembering how bitter the mare had been when you had tried to meet your own offspring. Pyscho bitch one of us scoffs and we all roll our eyes in synch, pulling a paper out from beneath one of our scaly feet to spit on it; it was the memory of the night you and your pal Rostislav had apparently both had your way with Aurelia. "She told me that I either had to stay with them to see him, or I needed to leave." the words are hushed and ashamed, eyes finally reaching back up to Africa slowly. "His name is Ryuu, and he has a twin sister who is not mine." Fuck, good luck explaining how that works!

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased

As she stood by the grulla stallion, shafts of furious desert sunlight reaching through emerald canopy to caress sweaty hides, the flicker of a dark shadow passed across them and Africa’s mellow creamy eyes lifted towards the sky. It was not uncommon for predators of the heavens like ever circling Vultures and opportunistic hawks, to stalk the oasis silently from the above. Certainly they held the element of surprise there because not often were the natives of the leafy, lush paradise conscious of the great blue world beyond the shackles of their home. This shadow however, as fleeting as its presence was, seemed unlike those slower moving birds and their hovering cousins. It drew her interest immediately and she greeted him affectionately and privately through their tied mind. Though he posed no threat to the skinks basking by the way, there was a frenzy of movement across the scattered stones and sand, as they scrambled for shelter.

Returning her gaze to settle again upon Voodoo, she noticed his posture had stiffened ever so slightly and his breath had been held. One of her long charcoal tipped ears swooped backwards into the hedge of flames dancing smoothly across her poll, her crest, all throughout the thick oily tangles of her taupe-tipped, grey mane. She was unsure whether the subject of his son was a sensitive one; like perhaps her loathing for the one called Windwalker. Few had managed so successfully to slip beneath her skin and grate across her nerves, and she could not help but bristle defensively at the mention of his name. Patiently she watched, the end of her long burning black tail swishing casually through the dry sand by her back hooves.

Silas was making his descent by the way of vast circles above the oasis. Africa could feel his closeness through the sound throb of her heart. It was like a wave of cool spewing through her veins, calmness choking away the weight of constant worry; like the pure crystal waters of their home to quench the cruel ache of dehydration...

The stallion’s murky red eyes had lowered again to pour over the parched sand. The puddle left in the wake of his little companion had already evaporated (liquid unwanted, repelled by the desiccation of the desert), and all that remained was the small imprint of its load there, by Voodoo’s tatty, chipped hooves. The dappled mare pulled back her gaze quietly from the ground and smiled fruitlessly into the vacant space between them. It was easy to deflect the gravity borne by the utterance of that name- of that mare, and suppress her distaste because there was no great element of surprise. Although her aversion was aggravated a little by the revelation of their industrious rendezvous (she had fancied him for many seasons after all), Africa concealed it well. She nodded, understanding.

There was more to his tale though, and the Starry-Eyed watched with a mounting combination of curiosity and compassion when his ears seemed to fold back negatively after making reference to Aurelia.

"How unpleasant. Maybe we could arrange for him to visit you here? Somehow..." She genuinely sympathised with him. Africa was well aware of how self-centred and hurtful the gold-flaked Pegasus could be, but she knew also that the young mare could neither see, nor understand any other perspective other than her own. Time and time again that frustration had eroded the grey’s faith; her confidence in the estranged girl’s behaviour. Finally Voodoo’s eyes raised and Africa softened (still more) empathetically. The note guiding his words had been so strangely vulnerable. The one-winged stepped closer to her friend, not smiling in fear of appearing to deprecate his situation. She felt for him, even though she could no more understand paternal love, than the reason for which some wielded cruel death magic. Again her spongy snipped nose reached to reassure him. Not that the last of his story made any sense...

Image Credits

Voodoo

Ouija's ears fold back against her neck, oily black eyes watching a fat rodent as it nibbled furiously at a thick green leaf that had fallen from one of the tall trees. Crouched down onto her belly and ready to spring forward, the young fox's butt slowly raised into the air, wiggling back and forth quickly. Her back legs extend, front reaching out to pounce on the unsuspecting critter with full force.. and a black shadow coasts over the mouse, causing it to scurry away with a mouth full of waxy leaf. She lands hard back onto the sand, an irritated huff of air expelling from her lungs. The mouse would have to wait. The snow fox turns on her heels, padding away quietly with ears cupped forward once more in hopes of finding some kind of desert lizard.

The shadow slinks across the sand off to your right, moving in large, slow circles. Just as your final words end your attention is directed up and ears are set back, seeing nothing but black against pale blue and a blinding amount of sunlight; if this same situation would have happened a couple of months ago, you would have gone into panic mode not having Ouija at your side, but she is much larger now and can fend for herself better than you can. Also, she is much too proud to let you hover over her in such a mess. Still your eyes flit around nervously, seeking out the white fox. Even though eyes cannot find her, she can feel the small amount of panic reaching your heart and stops in her tracks, attempting to sooth the emotions from a distance.

"How unpleasant. Maybe we could arrange for him to visit you here? Somehow..." Dull eyes find themselves back on the approaching snout of the Sultana, the genuine amount of care that you feel in her tone softening your heart. Your left ear swivels forward once more, hesitant to touch the soft nose of your friend, you feel your breath shaking in your lungs, and you catch yourself staring at the caramel gaze that watches you back. Carefully, you reach out as well, taking a small step forward to close the comfortable distance between the two of you, a bloodied snout pressing into a dark shade of gray. The warmth of her flesh against yours brings a small grin to your face, but you brush past her snout, hoping to reach down and rest your dark face against Africa's lightly dappled shoulder where a large gray wing had once sat.

The closeness does not spark those child-like flames that you had believed would ignite, but calms your body in a strange manner; touching the mare allows some kind of safety net to drop around your mind. "Thank you Africa." your gravely voice whispers. What did she do? one of us asks in a snarky tone, but you ignore us, breathing steadily against a warm coat. Perhaps Ryuu could come to the Throat, maybe he would like it here? The sand would be easy on his feet, wouldn't it? "It's a mess-" you begin to explain, stopping yourself in fear of not making any sense. How any of this works is beyond you, so being unsure is okay, right?

Ooc: Uhm, terrible post, I'm sorry. ;-;

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Deceased

Silas was not an antisocial creature- he enjoyed the company of Fina, sought her notice whenever she was near. She was beautiful even if she was the stark contrast of him, burning with all of the sun’s ferocious glory. But he was not sociable, and had little time for the creatures of his beloved’s world. They were primitive according to him, wasteful and cruel. He had never seen another species as intent on self-annihilation as they were, and rarely heeded them interest. By some binding attraction over which he had no control, he remained by Africa’s side, bidding her will- as she did his. He was like the soldier and she the dame; her ever watchful, gallant guardian.

As he neared them, gliding downwards by the canopy to where no more foliage roofed the lake, his keen lilac gaze had narrowed warily upon the crouched pup where it stalked so intently a victim; he could see even from afar a mouse. His shadow unsettled the well-fed creature, by the zephyr had no desire to indulge upon flesh-smothered bone. Actually, he could think of nothing more revolting than the taste of warm blood as its thick substance seeped down his gullet to spill amongst tattered fur and skin. His gut lurched, but not before the creature scurried obliviously from its true stalker as her white form launched suddenly to kill. Silas had little concern of the welfare of either frankly, and continued gracefully to ride the updrafts above the water- watching always the mare.

The Starry-Eyed watched on, oblivious to the commotion playing out in the grulla's mind; unaware that it was her bonded zephyr who had in fact been the cause for concern. Her own mind lay relatively stagnant, Silas was silent as he roamed above, and she felt quite comfortably distracted from her anxieties standing there with ol’ rummy-nose. It reached forward to meet her, and she bumped it both affectionately and consolingly as intended. Voodoo’s thick, stale breath sailed on though, not hesitating for long to mingle with her own, and she held quite still as his shadowy cheek came to rest upon the naked shoulder to her left. In the split second of his action, she felt a profound wave of responsibility; of care and duty for this friend. Africa had felt such once before, when he’d stood so alone and so detached in the Threshold. She had defied the counsel of her family then, those who had walked these sands even before her hooves had been set across it, and brought him- a 'Basiner' home to stay.

Tentatively, trembling lips were guided around by the curl of her elegantly arched neck- that which was adorned by twisting, dancing flames, and with touch delicate enough to groom her own intricate and beautiful feathers (and one capable adversely, of plucking them right out), the one-winged began to preen the oily drape of his mane. She worked quickly, dissolving twigs which had snagged within it and straightening away the tangles surrounding. He had thanked her around that time, voice low and rough against the soft sweep of the warm salty breeze. There was no need, but she held her tongue thoughtfully, and her industrious nibbling inched closer towards his withers. Briefly quietness enveloped them there by the lake’s lapping edge, and then Voodoo spoke again, causing the dappled mare to pull from her task and mock him playfully.

It’s your lucky day! Mess is a specialty of mine...” It was mostly true. Africa had brought upon herself so much misfortune and so much stress, that she felt more than capable of sharing the load of his own complicated situation- if he so wished to divide it of course. Fluttering nostrils drifted momentarily so that she could find and fondle tenderly about the red-tips of his ears. “Just start from the beginning Voodoo... I am not here to judge your mistakes.” With a sympathetic smile that he would never see, she turned and rubbed opportunistically her glossy eye against the groove of his shoulder. The flies aggravating her face hummed their resentment loudly. “But first let’s drink.” The grey waited naturally for his face to peel from her skin and step away; she had no wish to deny him any comfort she had to offer.

Image Credits