the Rift

[PRIVATE] invisible

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
ranjiri
                                                   calmness is the cradle of power

As I stand here watching over you I can't help but think that it must have been the gods who led me to you on the beach. I was at a point in my life where I was so unhappy and burdened with so much guilt that there were days that I didn't even want to function. And there you were, crumpled and crying in the sand, disregarded by the family that should have loved you. We were both broken souls searching for someone to fix us and we found each other and, together, we took a step in the direction we wanted our lives to go in. You wanted someone to love you, tell you that you were beautiful, protect you, and I wanted someone to love as unconditionally as my father loved me.

You look so peaceful while you're asleep. The lines that I see etched into your face are no longer present and you look like the innocent child you are. Pain isn't plaguing you, nor is there any worry or fear. I wonder what it is that you worry about and the only conclusion that I can come to is that you're scared that I'm going to leave you. I can promise you that will never happen because I intend to keep you by my side until you want to go off on your own and make your own life. And even then I'll keep you tucked away in my heart.

I wonder if you understand just how much you've helped me in the short time that I've had you with me. You've given me something to live for, made me want to strive to better myself so that I can be the best I can possibly be for you. Because of you I've reconnected with my brother and begun to carve out my own place in a herd. You are the reason that I don't let my self pity devour me because I cannot help you if I cannot help myself and I've promised you that I would take care of you. If there was only one promise in this life that I were allowed to keep it would be that one.

The sun has begun to rise and the sky is painted brilliant shades of yellow, orange, and gold. I spread my wing to shield you from the early morning rays and allow you to sleep and regain your energy because its been a long couple of days for us. The sun is well above the horizon when I finally stand and move toward the lake to get a drink of water. When my thirst is quenched I turn and look at you, my innocent baby sleeping so contentedly.

For much of your short life you've been silent, content to watch the world and be a spectator instead of a participant. I won't allow that and you may hate me for it for a short time but you've been invisible for long enough. Its time for you to step out into the world and let everyone know who you are. You are Ryuu and you are not invisible anymore.

"."
@[Ryuu]
Credits

aud pixel!

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit

I don't remember the last time I slipped so peacefully into sleep. Somewhere in my head I wonder if I should be this calm, in a new home under new eyes that watch me fade into the arms of the night's embrace. But then I remember how it had been me to watch over Faeanne as she slipped into slumber, how I had waited up at night hoping for Mother to return, so that maybe she could return the action. The lonely cold of the mists that had never seemed like home to me, even if maybe I hadn't given them the chance to be. Yet I found that as night began to fall and the sun began to bleed red like a dying sparrow landing upon earth once more, I did not feel alone. My side was warm with the heat of another, a loving gaze resting upon my skin, and I fell into the arms of Morpheus with love trailed in inked calligraphy across my bones with a brush softer than silk and paler than dove feathers.

For the first time I can remember, I dream.

My legs don't hurt, when I run. When I laugh I don't press my ears to my head and look around to see if I have bothered someone. And when I run and kick my heels and play, someone chases after me. They don't appear throughout my dream, no matter how quickly I turn, they are a dark shadow that disappears and entices me to chase them in turn. Melodic laughter trails in my harks and warms bones I had once thought forever chilled. Only when we chase each other endlessly and I grow tired do I falter, falling into endless seas of grass that sway like lovely dancers that giggle and peer down at me from their tall, lean stalks in curiosity at who had fallen among them.

Only then is my shadowed friend revealed, endless red eyes and a glowing smile, reaching down to press a loving kiss to my cheek. I smile and weakly reach for her, this exercise-fueled exhaustion foreign to me, and as my eyelids flutter to a close beneath the sunlight streaming like butter behind her, I say her name.

"Momma."

"Momma..."

I stir, the same butter gold from my dream rousing me, and I sleepily blink until consciousness returns to my body in slow dregs. I yawn and look around for Momma within moments, her form not far as she wades into the blues of the water to dip her muzzle into its depths. On thin legs I stagger to my hooves and stumble towards her, thick and slow with sleep as I trip over my own legs and half-crash into her side, swaying away and finding my balance. I blink up at her slowly and smile tentatively, hoping she won't chide me for running into her.

I don't say anything, but I hesitantly slide up behind her wing, cheek pressed to her flank. I'm too shy to ask, too scared to wonder if it's allowed with no restrictions, but only desire to be against her side once more, as if in slumber I had grown so used to her presence that I could not be away from her once more. I'd never gotten used to speaking, to feeling like I was allowed to, and so I smile up at her, painfully sincere and shy, and hope she can see what I want to say.

Good morning Momma. I love you. Thank you for being here when I wake up like you promised.

Ed Ivanushkin @ flickr

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

ranjiri

You begin to stir as the brightness of the sun rouses you from your slumber and I smile as I watch you. You're so small and so innocent and even though I've only had you for a handful of days I want to keep you exactly like you are. I hold my breath as you stand and wonder if your hooves will pain you like they always seem to and I can see it on your face. I wish there was something I could do to take that pain away from you because you don't deserve to suffer, but there is nothing that I can do. It is a bitter pill for me to swallow, but I must.

"Good morning." I murmur as you slide up next to me and press your cheek to my flank. I lift my wing and allow you to slip closer to me before I settle my wing back into place. Nothing can compare to the sense of peace that I feel when your small body is pressed against mine. I have never felt so complete but before now I never had a purpose. I have one now and that purpose is to keep you safe and give more love than you could ever want.

As I turn my head to look toward you you smile at me and its a smile that warms me to my very soul. I could never tire of that brilliant smile and I hope that you continue to smile like that. "Did you sleep well?" I did. It was the first time since I had left my own mother that I had slept peacefully through the night. I only hoped that you had slept as soundly because we had a long day ahead of us.

I turned so we would face the same direction and as I moved I felt the tap, tap of my amulet against my chest. Lakota had given it to me on the day I was born as a means of protection. I had never had to use it and was glad for that as I dipped my head down and shook my neck until the amulet fell to the ground with a small thump. I stared at it for only a moment before I picked it up and slipped it over your head so it would hang around your neck like it had hung around mine for over a year. "This is for you." I nuzzled your cheek as I spoke. "Its an amulet and it'll protect you."

"."
@[Ryuu]
Credits

aud pixel!

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit

In the warmth of the morning, I blink my eyes rapidly, still sensitive from sleep and lack of exposure. I yawn, teeth clacking softly, and your face is the first I see. I secretly hope it will stay that way. Even though you say you'll stay, that you'll be with me every morning when the sun rises, I can't help but doubt. After all, everyone I have ever known and loved has left me. Mother, Annie, even Daddy...not that I'd gotten to know him for very long. Everyone always ended up disappearing, and I couldn't help but count down the days until you left too. But, for the moment, I slipped beneath the shade of your wing and sleepily slid my cheek to your sun-warmed dark skin. Our canvases became one beneath the rays that attempted to lull me back to sleep. Your voice like honey did not help me in trying to remain awake, sweet and soft like the downy feathers that brushed silkily against my skin. You murmur a greeting to me, but I am used to speechlessness, to silent stares and bashful gazes. So instead, out of habit, I smile up at you. Good morning Momma.

The water is cool on my ankles, your side warm against my own as you smile back down at me, asking if I slept well. I nod quietly, tresses bunching up where my crest rubs against you. This is the most peaceful morning I've ever experienced, and I cherish it already. I try my hardest to commit it to memory, for you are sure to leave me soon...and when you go, I want the mirage of you to be clear and perfected, for the nights when I will need you by my empty, lonely side on cold nights. I stare at you, fearing every blink, afraid to dispel the illusion that is your presence. Surely I have done no good in this world worthy of having you at my side, guiding me, much less loving me. I want to hate the Gods, curse their names and swear vengeance, for they have granted me the most precious of gifts and it will tear me apart when it is taken away from me.

Somehow, I know I will have to live through the agony of losing you.

The water calms the ache in my hooves, even as you draw my attention away from the relief and the darkness of my own thoughts. Leaving it is likely for the best, even if I miss the embrace already. I watch you as you shake your crown, watch a piece of jewelry fall upon the sand with a soft sound. I stare at it, uncomprehending. But then you're explaining, lifting it in your lips and letting it cascade in ripples of metal chain around my trio of horns and upon my breast. I stare down at it, horrendously big on my skinny neck. I had weaned too early, and my body had suffered for it. But this...it is a gift. I'd never received a gift before. Your lips are soft and loving on my cheek, and I blink, trying to figure out how to respond. My eyes are a little wet as I smile tremulously. "Thank you Momma."

Ed Ivanushkin @ flickr

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

ranjiri

Every time I look at you you seem to be deep in thought, even at so young an age, and I wish that I could read your mind so I could know what you're thinking. Most foals I've seen and encountered were loud and rambunctious, full of energy and the drive to run and play. You are everything they are not and I know it is partly because of your hooves. I also believe that your birth-mother is the other reason that you have more of a drive just to survive than to play and enjoy being a foal. I want to tell you to slow down, to take your time and enjoy being young because it'll be gone before you know it. One day you'll wake up and you'll be on your own and there's no going back. It is up to you, however, to decide whether or not you can be comfortable with me caring for you to allow yourself to be a child.

"You're welcome." I murmur as you thank me for the amulet. I think that Lakota would be proud of me for giving it to someone who might need it more than I do. "Never take it off." I caution you with a serious tone. "It can only protect you if you're wearing it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise." I'm fearful that if you wander away someone may try to take my gift away from you. I don't want to think that someone would stoop low enough to trick a child into giving up an amulet, but I've learned that there is evil in the world. It might not be visible, but its there, waiting for the perfect moment to sink its claws into anyone unsuspecting.

I do not want to dwell on the evils of the world, though, because you are amazingly perceptive and I don't want to upset you. So I smile and touch my muzzle to yours. "What would you like to do today?"

"."
@[Ryuu]
Credits

aud pixel!