the Rift

The Fall of the Sun [Flick, any]

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

Darkness overwhelms the light. How could it not, when light itself casts the shadows?

In a more real sense, the dark veil of oncoming unconsciousness, or more properly, oncoming death swam before the light blue gaze of the lion. The world was tilted as he lay on his side, gradually bleeding out into the pool that already began to ebb against his hide. The dust had since settled, and the pegasus foe lay in similar shape not far away, but that mattered little now.

Whiskers twitched as Ra blinked against the light of the day, his heart longing for the cool, gentle touch of the night and the last glow of the moon for him to see. A low, unpleasant growl rasped in his chest, the sound having difficulty in edging around the steel blade that remained lodged in his ribs. Paws flexed and stretched at the rolling, red hills he saw arching around him. He imagined he was was running through them, fleeing them. He wanted to run to the Heavenly Fields, to bathe in the silver light of his lovely moon and talk with her until all the stars fell from the sky and turned to the flowers that he'd lay in.

Instead he would die here. Here in this dusty, dirty, barren wasteland of the Sun's. The light was bright and hot, pressing like a weight against his already sweat soaked flesh.

The blackness dipped. His focus blurred. Another complaining wheeze tumbled from his maw as he fought the inevitable.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Flicker Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The sun had finally set for Ra, and the young unicorn knew it. She had not seen the battle, but heard whispers of war in the ocean's depths, and she knew that the time had come for Ra's Order to fall.

Flicker remained near the Ocean as the Tuuli invaded. Even if she was not a Scorched, a prisoner and a slave, and could have fought for the Throat... This was not a home worth fighting for. Besides, Flick was a peaceful creature. She had no desire to see blood shed, nor to shed it; such acts of violence seemed, to her, pointless. So when the ocean did not speak of death, when no cries of anguish reached her ears, she the ebony unicorn was pleased. Turning her lithe form, she began to leave the coast, weaving her way towards the battleground. The water had carried a voice familiar to her ears; if Mirage was here, there was hope that this next set of invaders would not enslave her as the Order had.

She was halfway to the plains when a scream pulled itself from her lips. Searing heat shot through the gold chains on her foreleg, tail, and ear, and the smell of burning hair permeated the putrid, sun-drenched air. The heat was just a flash, a cruel shock, but it carried a message. She had thought the battles were over, but one... one had just begun. The jewelry was connected to Ra, and Ra was hurt, badly, worse than she had ever experienced before. Recovering from her shock, Flicker only considered for a moment before kicking herself into a canter, racing towards the battlefield.

She saw the winged stallion before the fallen lion. Ra lay twisted on the ground, a great metallic stick plunged into his belly. He was still breathing, she realized with some hope, but the breaths were rapid and shallow. He would not last long. Flicker's gait had slowed as she approached the Lion, her Lord these past years, as a whirlwind of conflicting emotions erupted within her mind as she approached his broken body. Hatred, for his ill treatment of her; pity, for his terrible fall, a fate nobody deserved; and, finally, love, for the stallion who had once rescued her from dragons and impressed her with his majesty.

She was close to him, now, close enough to see the blood selling from his wound, close enough to smell it and crinkle her nose at its metallic tang. "Oh, Ra..." Flick whispered, voice shaking with pent up emotion. "Why? Why did you become... this?" A single tear fell from her eye, drawing a dark line down her maw to fall off her nose, straight for the feline's shoulder.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Everything had a delicate balance, an equilibrium that it must maintain. The power of the Gods was great, but it took all of the Gods combined powers to create the lands that were Helovia. Though one God might reign supreme for a time, it was only ever temporary; either the other Gods grew too jealous and revolted, or the supreme one found the power requirements too great and fell off their perch of their own accord. The foolishness of the Gods was akin to that of the mortals who were designed in their image, though mortals were prone to even greater foolishness, such were the flaws in their design. The fall of the Sun was met with squinted eyes; the golden gaze of Mirage watched from a distance as the battle, which had begun late in the grand scheme of things, raged on. The obsidian mare had longed to face off the lion herself, despite the friendship she held with Flicker and the confused frazzle of emotions that went along with it. Her cloak shimmered over her bodice, her presence easily missed by the grieving unicorn that passed by her and walked towards the fallen lion. It was then that Mirage looked sadly to the fallen Pegasus, forlorn for his fate. But such was the way of things – there was little she could do to change what had happened. But perhaps she could help the young unicorn whom she felt a softness within her breast for.

Keen flutes detected the words the other mare asked the lion, wondering what Ra had been before turning into this maniacal cult leader. Akaith was elsewhere this morning, Mirage preferred her draconic friend absent during interactions with the young Flicker, knowing the unicorn sometimes felt uncomfortable with her – discomfort was not something Mirage wished upon the filly. Even so, the urge to waltz over and polish the lion-horse off once and for all was tempting, all it would take was a firm hoof placed with direct force atop his cranium – no, she mustn’t, she couldn’t do that to the unicorn. He was on his way out already – perhaps it was better to let him suffer, let him ponder his twisted ways and see the wrong he wrought. Mirage disliked him initially for the harm he brought to her friend, Torasin; she disliked him doubly so due to the uprise of the Sun God he was leading. Her alliance with the Moon God seemed to fuel her growing list of reasons to kill the despicable lion – but no, she would not. The shimmering cloak upon her bodice was shed, and the mare allowed a warm whicker to be sent to the dark hued unicorn. Her velvet nose reached out, intending to offer a gentle stroke of comfort to her. Golden pools looked only to the unicorn – if she allowed her gaze to rest upon the fallen one for a mere second, her control might slip and the bloodlust within her might break free.

“Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason to life.” Speaking simply, she knew not what more she could add. She was not sorry the lion was dying, but she was sorry that his passing might trigger a tumult of conflict within one she hoped to call a close friend one day.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

The sound of footsteps came somehow over the din of his failing heart. He could already sense it was her before she flickered into view. Already knew the tone to her voice before she murmured so sorrowfully at his mane. He grinned somehow, eyes pinching shut for a moment against the pain before straining to capture the rest of her image. He would love to hold her in his sight while he moved on. Some last good piece of this world to take with him wherever the gods saw fit to send him. He didn't imagine it would be a pleasant afterlife.

"Flick," his voice smiled at her, asking her to draw in closer. He wanted to smell her - the sweet, woody tang she carried from sneaking around the shadows. His paws flexed, his lungs collapsed.

He held her in his eyesight for a moment, tears glistening in the corners of them as her own fell to his broad shoulder, staining it with a dark line of grief and perhaps, joy.

"For love," he whispered with a rattling exhale. It would be his last as his head gingerly slumped back to the ground. Slowly the light left his gaze and his sides stilled while the red smears turned almost black.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Unregistered
She could only spare a moment's thought to the footsteps behind her, an ear flicked back in anxious curiosity. It didn't matter to her if it was a pegasus come to cast her out, or a Throat member come to kill her, now that her master was gone; her pale eyes focused on the dying lion, and hell or high water would not tear her away from his side. She had seen death before - the death of her parents, the death of her friends - and somehow, it always hurt her as much as the last time. But something about this, something about the fall of Ra... this was to much. Something was breaking inside the slender mare, something warm and cheerful. For a moment, for this moment, she felt empty.

Flick. She nearly jumped at the lion's voice, quickly lowering her face to his side. Flick didn't realize it, but she was shaking like a candle flame as she stared at the fallen Ra, soft nose inches away from his cheek. "Ra... I'm here." The footsteps continued behind her, and a soft voice permeated the air. But still, Flicker did not heed it, didn't care. She was waiting for Ra to speak again, her leonine tail lashing anxiously behind her, cloven hooves shifting uncomfortably on the ground. His breathing was shallow, and hers unconsciously shifted to match, her dark sides rising and falling quickly as she strained to hear him. Some explanation, some reason for why he became what he did...

For love.

"For... love?" There was something off about her voice, something wrong. Something broken. She was calm, now, calm and still; indeed, she seemed to have stopped moving entirely. Only her eyes, blinking fiercely, forcing back tears, betrayed the life still inside the little mare. Then, again, "Love?" It was a whisper, but now the whisper was full of emotion. It held within it all of her incredulous pain, all of her rage. It spoke of her horror at his betrayal, her longing for him to return to what she once knew... she had never been able to hold her emotions secret. She could not now.

She snapped.

"LOVE?! Love for whom? You've only ever loved yourself!" Rage, rage, her voice was drenched in it. Even though he was no doubt gone, far beyond the veil of her reach, Flicker's voice lashed out at the fallen beast. "And what about me?! What of my love? Oh, Ra the Mighty Lion - well fuck you, Ra! I loved you, once! I loved you and you beat me for it! You were a terrible leader, and you drove your herd into the ground! Nobody fought by your side! You died alone. Nobody loves you." She fell to her knees now, dust forming beneath her as her body struck the ground, sides heaving as her anger dissipated, replaced with cold, empty pain. She was dimly aware of Mirage behind her, and part of her wanted nothing more than to wrap herself around the older mare who had been so kind to poor Flick, to disappear with her and find a place away from the Throat, a safe place. Tears welled in her eyes once more, and a finally she addressed Mirage, perhaps too softly for the older mare to hear... "I thought I could save him."

The choking, dying breaths of the lion fell upon unforgiving ears. Mirage’s opinion of the creature would not change; he was a fool, now a dead fool. He was misguided, and though the mare wondered for what love this sun streaked beast died for, she did not truly care enough to demand further explanation. If his words were given in attempt to comfort the unicorn, they had nearly the polar opposite effect. The obsidian one watched as the emotions roamed all over the young one, and she stood, a stony statue, holding anything she might be feeling inside. The rage that Flicker threw at the lion’s body revealed the very depths of her torments, her combined love and hatred for the lion. Mirage understood, she had spent a lifetime observing the emotional outbreaks of others, and rarely allowing her own self to show them. The emotions were there, within her, she simply had a firm grip upon which ones she showed when. The feelings of abandonment, devotion, love and loathing were a harsh mixture to be dealing with; each one piled on top of the other would cause the symptoms of a grieving follower Flicker was displaying.

Mirage watched as the young belle fell to the ground, and at last she seemed to be aware of her own presence. Eyes sought each other out, and Mirage complied to the silent beckoning, folding her own limbs beneath her, lending her dark build to the femme to treat as a comforting rock to steady herself against. Tiara leaned over the other’s nape, and she held the youth, svelte ears easily capturing the whispered words. “Hush now, dear little Flicker.” Soothing melodies hummed from the charred one’s maw. “He could have been saved, had he wanted to be.” The stallion’s madness was a sickness of the mind, it was the only explanation, the charred femme was sure. He got in his own way, he couldn’t see anything wrong with his actions, no matter the objections others might pose to him – you can only help those who will accept the help. “You are free, Flicker, free to live life the way you want.” Quietly the mare murmured, not wanting to overload the already shaken filly with ideals she perhaps hadn’t considered. Mirage longed to welcome the filly into the Qian’s safe and secure hold, but she would not, could not, force it upon the belle. Silence ensued, and the mare simply awaited the response, ever present and ready for whatever may come.

Unregistered
The warmth that the shadowy mare presented forced a sob from the girl's chest, the choked noise pressing on her throat and bringing pain as well as relief. The tears were flowing freely now, warm salty liquid tracing dark trails down the lines of her skull, over her pink nostrils, soaking the long black hairs that dusted her chin. Snot pooled in her nostrils, and dripped out; it was not pretty, Flicker's grief. Mirage's comforting embrace was welcomed, but scarcely registered on Flick's radar. The sorrow was crushing her, blocking out much of her awareness of the surroundings. Slowly, though, clarity shoved its way through her foggy mind. She realized that she had sunk into Mirage's shadowy form, her body shuddering against the older mare, face turned away to keep her horn from injuring her... friend? Mother? What was Mirage to her?

Did she really want him to be anything? Did she want to care for anyone, again?

Free. Freedom. What did it mean? Her eyes clenched shut, a bitter smile spreading across her face. Freedom was a lie, the oldest lie in the book. "I guess I am." Her sweet voice was rough with sorrow, but there was some strength in it, some small amount of hope. She raised her head, shifting herself into a somewhat more dignified position and turning to face Mirage. There was a bright glint in her eyes, a determined glow to her silver gaze. For a moment, she thought that it was true. That she could be free, and that the world could, maybe, be ok. Then her gold chains jingled, a high, eerie sound, and the feeling was lost. Flicker looked away, casting her gaze towards the horizon, eyes once more dull and weary. A smile still sat upon her face, but now it spoke of resignation, of exhaustion. She was tired.

"Do you know how I met Ra?" It was not a story she told often, but it was one she thought of with frequency. When his anger smote her, when he beat her down, she thought of it. Of what he had been.

"He saved my life. Dragons held me captive. They had taken me and my brother when we were foals, our parents dead in the war. My brother did not live; and I was near death when Ra found me. He fought them off, and I thought he was the Sun come to rescue me. I adored him, idolized him, followed him. I was an impressionable yearling, and he was my God." Her voice was clear and gentle, fondness mixed with remorse in the bells of her tone. Then she cast her eyes down, and her tone darkened, hurt materializing on the vixen's expression. "But he fell in love. I do not know who she was, or why he never spoke of it. I came to realize, though, that she must resemble me in some way. Perhaps another follower of the Moon; I know not. All I know is that he gave me presents that turned into chains, he saved me from fire and then burned me. I should have run when it began, but I thought I could save him. And now, it is too late." Tears, again - fewer, and from a calmer mare. She stared ahead, leonine tail twitching, deep in the memories of a time when she felt joy.

Maybe freedom was an illusion, maybe in some way or another, it was a myth, one that everyone always strove for but never truly obtained. After all, one is always controlled by something; some external force was forever present to alter the way one might have originally planned on doing things. The natural elements, the hierarchy of the herd one might live in, the laws of the land overall, all were added elements working against the notion of freedom. But surely freedom of choice existed, the freedom to choose whether these elements affected you or not?

Maybe freedom was indeed just an illusion, but then, so was Mirage.

The little shadow leaned back as the young belle shifted her weight, and with small shreds of approval evident in her golden gaze she watched the other mare regain her composure and outlook on the world. She made to speak, her query causing Mirage to shake her head from side to side gently, admitting she knew very little of Ra, aside from him leading the Order of the Sun. The Moon Goddess had mentioned him, and it was only now that Mirage found it odd that the Goddess should know of him at all. Silently she assigned the task of posing the query to the divine Goddess to herself, her curiosity for wanting to know more about the past so that such mistakes might not be repeated clear.

Flicker spoke, and her story surprised Mirage, though the mare did not show it.

So Ra was capable of kindness, actual, genuine kindness, though he seemed to be plagued by guilt for it. He loved, as he had claimed in his last breath, even Flicker could see it. But what love could drive him to such extremes? This is most unusual, it makes no sense, I shall seek out my divine Lady and see if she can clear my confusion with her wisdom. The shadowy mare listened with interest, even though the one telling the tale seemed only vaguely aware that she had an audience. Mirage was happy to see her at peace, at least a more peaceful countenance than the one she had mere moments before.

“Thank you for telling me, Flicker.” She murmured quietly.

“It is never too late to save yourself. Rid yourself of this guilt, and embrace life.” The mare commented, her tones warm and potentially leading on to other things. “I want only to help you, Flicker, you have the protection of the Qian, and my friendship – two things you needn’t ever question.” Touching her muzzle to the belle’s nape, Mirage blew warm air affectionately over her. Whether she longed to swear herself to Mirage or not, the mare would extend the band’s hospitality to the youth.