the Rift

[OPEN] Provocateur

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan the Nightshade

Recently the days of the blood red hellion were blurring into a depressing chunk of sadness and depression, once a failure was once enough, but when a stallion hit three or four times a failure then well. The cracks began to show even on the most sturdy of monsters. Yet, the Nightshade was never going to remain in his own pile of messy ashes for too long and his recent meeting with a familiar snowy assistant had put the jaunt back in his stride and the edge back in his gaze. There were things to be done, hornless to kill and more poison to sample. His children were grown and his next was surely not even the form of a horse yet, d'Artagnan was not about to let his own name die away as his progeny overtook him. A time would come for that, but the Doctor was not quite ready to let go of everything just yet. For the first time in a while he put aside his misdoings and grievances, falling back into a familiar way of life where the rules were simple; you lived or you died.

The sun was hot, but slowly falling away down the horizon as the afternoon wore on sending spectacular shades of vibrant reds and oranges across the landscape, reflecting off the Doctor and emphasizing his coat, turning his glass weapons a strange sunny hue. He had meandered away from the cold mountains, trekking across the meadows were his sons had been born before skirting the heart caves and branching off west. Aramis was nowhere to be seen, out hunting and patrolling the way in front. d'Artagnan had chided the hound recently, noting that he could not only roast his dinner, but now catch it with relative ease. A quick way to put on weight and the shade had quite bluntly pointed that out to his garde de l'enfer who had whipped his tail in offence and curtly bounded off with a trail of d'Artagnan's hearty chuckles behind him.

Continuing west, it was Aramis who eventually returned with his face a different pose of alertness and a long blue tongue hung out from the side of his coal coloured chops. Strange structure, stone and glass. d'Artagnan frowned at this. There'd never been a structure around here before had there? Surely he would have noticed it. Though d'Artagnan rarely travelled to this part of Helovia and when he did it was only for the poison he might find, he didn't think himself that unobservant. Perhaps it was new or perhaps his memory was really beginning to fail him or maybe it was this Ancient Rotunda that Deimos had spoken of. Show me the shade commanded and quickly Aramis began to lead the way with d'Artagnan in tow.

They eventually came to a thicket of trees with a brook peacefully flowing between them and nestled away in the summery green embrace was indeed a rotunda, made from columns of stone and a glass roof, plant drapes cover its body. Even d'Artagnan had to admit it was a rather impressive structure, though hardly the place to shove an army into, but still curious. The Doctor walked round slowly, Aramis watching the area as his bonded went to stand close to the brook and inspecting every element. It was a peaceful place and an easy area to be alone with his own thoughts, not that he really wanted to be.

The two would remain for so long for now, examining the new area they had uncovered before slipping off to somewhere else.

[Open!]
Credits: Image by Tamme

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx
déodat,

It wasn’t like him to simply prance about Helovia when there were things to be done amongst the Basin. New threats were looming out in the wild lands, the so-called Regime that sought to bring down his home. They would pay surely, Confutatis would be brought to justice, that much Déodat knew. That day he sought the skull faced bitch, sought to drag her head bag on a stick to the Reaper king. They had said she resided her with her grunts in the Rotunda, a place foreign and unknown to him. So, the Blood Prince searched. He had made this rash decision not long after his encounter with Hotaru. The mare had been pleasant company, and part of him pondered what would come out of their time together.

Odette trotted at his side, her usual energetic behavior dimmed by the somber air her bonded carried. Every now and then she would toddle off into the bushes to seek some kind of prey, but it wouldn’t be long before she returned to him. Several times she had attempted to break the deeply etched frown from his face and bring about one of his rare smiles by standing on her hindlegs and circling about. All that had elicited was an eyeroll. She knew her bonded to be grumpy, she knew him to be rude and violent, but she had never considered him to have a stick up his ass.

Déodat was far too preoccupied to sense the thoughts of his bonded. Of course he would’ve given her a good thwomp on the head with his horn if he knew. He moved with an air of determination and an expression that could kill as he stopped before an unfamiliar structure. “This has to be it,” he said to himself underh is breath. Slowly he walked toward the structure, a scent wafting in the air and it wasn’t the one of the skull faced ‘queen’. Her scent was stale and that brought on a wave of disappointment and frustration. He had found the place and it had been in vain.

Slowly he approached the structure and glanced inside. Nothing was there so he walked about the perimeter and saw a familiar figure before him. d’Artagnan, the notorious Doctor, and his cousin. Déodat had seen the stallion here and there in the past months, but it had been some time since their last true encounter and conversation.

Odette sensed the familiarity about the stallion and yapped and began to approach, but Déodat gave her a sharp look that told her to do otherwise. He ensured that she remained at his side before slowly approaching his cousin.

“I haven’t seen your ugly mug in awhile cousin,” Déodat said as he came up alongside him, humor lacing his tone. Even with his light tone there was still a stony expression written all over his face. Odette remained at his ankles but she stared up at the Doctor with curiosity. She glanced at her bonded and when she was sure he wasn’t looking she stepped over cautiously and reached out her nose to sniff d’Art. “That’s Odette.” Déodat said without even looking at the pup.

@[d'Artagnan]
"Speech speech speech"

image credits
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Indeed, how long had it been since d'Artagnan had properly spoken with his dear noble cousin. Perhaps not properly since before he'd left the Time Mender spot and even then very fleetingly. So it was an honest pleasant surprise when the Doctor turned to see his familiar form when Aramis quietly alerted him to his presence. He looked the same as always, his fur the typical blood red of a clan brother with the recognizable white mark and ruby horn that singled him out as the noble brat of his father's brother. Though born with advantage and wealth at his feet, the shade had always rather liked Déodat, he was maybe the only family he had from his past that didn't try to kill him at any given chance. A poor excuse for liking a guy, but truth was truth. With him was a new companion whose species was related to his own hell born soldier at his feet. A snow white pup that was at that age of curiosity and her cunning was admirable, but it didn't go unnoticed by d'Artagnan's sentinel who padded over as the girl did to intercept her investigations by attempting to sniff her himself, red markings beginning to faintly glow.

d'Artagnan shook his head at them, but let them be and instead turned his attention to his cousin who had already addressed him and the shade let out a rough toned laugh. "I see your ass isn't getting any smaller" he replied with the same humour, drawing from the moment when they had met in the Threshold and the shade rather bluntly commented on his fellow brother's rear end. He looked at the dog once again, Odette and nodded firmly once. "A strong bonded" anything with claws was always a help in tight situations, d'Artagnan had quickly realized this after Aramis had helped him out of a few.

He paused then, wondering what would bring Déodat here, perhaps he'd simply decided to take a rather long walk like the shade had. Or maybe he already knew of the ancient structure that demurely sat before them. The shade looked to the Rotunda then and proffered his head in it's direction before looking at Déodat with confused frown. "I haven't seen that there before?" He formed his statement more as a question, prodding to see if his cousin knew anything about the impressive structure nestled away in some green firs.

@[Déodat]

filled with rage

déodat,

Déodat watched Odette pad toward the other companion and sniff him back with great excitement. He could sense her excitement from their bond. It dawned on him this was her first encounter with another canine. Being amongst similar kind may do the girl some good. His eyes watched her for a moment as she lowered her front end and waggled her rear back and forth in an attempt to get her fellow canine to play. She yapped several times, eager to convince her new found ‘friend’ to play.

Déodat smiled at the comment and shoulder slowly. “No, I’m afraid it simply isn’t. I like to tell myself that it’s muscle rather than rolls of fat, boosts my noble ego. How is the little wife?” It was good to joke with his cousin like they had upon the Threshold, it was even better that he himself wasn’t covered in fresh wounds with an even fresher memory of his destroyed home. “One day she’ll be strong I’m sure, as of right now, exasperating may be a better word. She has a fondness for barking at every thing that moves.”

As much as he complained about the white dog, he knew that she was one of the dearest individuals in his life, and the closest thing to family he had in quite awhile. Her companionship made the long hours of mundane patrols a tad bit more interesting.

At the mention of the strange structure, Déodat turned his head towards it and cocked his head slightly. “Can’t say I’ve seen it myself. I believe it’s called the Ancient Rotunda.” He looked back over at d’Art. “I had hoped to find the bitch Confutatis here, since she and her band supposedly live here.” It truly had been disappointing to find nothing but flowing bits of fabric near the Rotunda. His search for Confutatis would have to broaden even further through Helovia.

@[d'Artagnan]
"Speech speech speech"

image credits
con by aihnna@dA

d’Artagnan snorted in laughter. Sometimes it was good to take a moment in life to share words with ones blood, there were no misunderstandings and the ground was even. Though the shade might have once envied his cousin’s noble beginnings, that wasn’t the case anymore. They were both apart of the same family and both had their own life scars. In fact, it was nice to have another who knew where he came from and knew his story, to know that there was at least one other out there that had seen him as just young stallion. It made him feel less alone with the world and though d’Artagnan normally didn’t care for such sentiments, the odd relapse now and then was an enjoyable lift to his normally so dark system. Tomorrow he would return to brooding and grumbling. For now it was nice to trade words with a cousin.

"I bet the mares form lines for that noble ass of yours." He chuckled along before turning his thoughts to his wife with a fond smile and troubled eyes. "She was well the last I saw her, though I wouldn’t let her catch you calling her little." They’d both probably be a few inches shorter if she caught wind of anything untoward. However, the Nightshade sighed soon after and wondered what Déodat would do in his situation, his cousin had never been one so far to settle down with a mare after all, so the notion of being loyal might be lost on him. However, blood was blood and d’Artagnan trusted him with his uncertain feelings. "Though lately she seems to want little to do with the Basin even though I’ve only just returned. Sometimes I find it difficult to read her" it was a well known trait of d’Artagnan’s that his ability to converse and understand mares was terrible.

His gaze returned to the bundle of fluff Déodat called Odette then with an amused smile. The shade remembered the days when Aramis too had been much the same, all paws and bark, no sense of direction or a mute button. Indeed one day, claws and teeth were a handy weapon to have and soon maybe, she would learn the best use for them. "Guard your master well pup" the Doctor nodded to her and Aramis attempted to put his paw briefly and gently on top of her head.

Déodat mentioned the place as the Ancient Rotunda, the place d’Artagnan had guessed he had found and the apparent home of the meddling Regime. Though the shade had yet to see anything that alerted his attention to its rumoured residents. Indeed so he had found the hidden Rotunda that Deimos was most concerned about in that meeting, if you could ever call the Reaper concerned, irritated might be a better word. Or hungry. "Apparently they don’t feel like coming out to play today. Shame really, we could’ve sorted the Basin’s little problem. These ageing bones need some action" he chirped. His beastly side gnawing away.

filled with rage

déodat,

It was good to laugh and for once be joyful. Déodat realized precisely how much time he spent lounging about in foul moods. In the back of his mind he sensed Odette’s agreement. There was temptation to kick out at the white pup, but he excused her for the moment, after all, she was finally bothering someone other than him. Then his attention was drawn to his cousin as he spoke again of his ass. Surely he was just jealous, for he did seem to bring it up every time they saw each other.

“Oh yes they do, the line goes on for miles and miles one can never see the end of it,” Déodat said with a tone that held only the most subtle bit of sarcasm. He listened intently to the words of his cousin. It was good to know the white mare who had managed to tame the Nightshade was faring well. He laughed softly at the dangers of calling the mare little. “That doesn’t surprise me, takes a certain mare to tame someone as wild you.” He glanced over at the stallion as he released a sigh and he continued onward about Kou. A sigh passed from his lips, and he could remember Lena revealing to him the capture of Doctor’s wife and his offspring. “I can understand why. Babes and mothers are robbed from their beds in the night. Lena told me about how she was taken. It makes me fear over what would happen if I ever were to sire my own progeny.” He snorted and shook his head. The mood had definitely darkened and he racked his brain in a desperate attempt to bring light without mocking. “Women are impossible to read. I’ve never understood them and will most likely never will.”

His eyes turned over toward Odette as she continued in her pursuit of friendship with his cousin’s companion. Several yaps escaped from her lips. Déodat rolled his eyes, but a smile still lingered. Only female he may ever understand was Odette. Her gaze flickered to d’Art spoke to her, and she yapped back at him. When a paw dropped onto her head she barked at Aramis.

“A lot of cowards it seemed,” Déodat snorted as disdain seeped into his tone. “The moment an enemy rises against them, they run away pissing themselves. It will bring me great joy when that damned bitch Confutatis is finally caught, found, and slaughtered.” His mind drifted back to the night in the Frozen Arch. It was a secret that he would fall into the grave with.

@[d'Artagnan]
"Speech speech speech"

image credits
con by aihnna@dA