the Rift

[PRIVATE] Breathing In The Frost

Sialia Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 8 Years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Nessie

Sialia Odele
You're totally entertained, and I'm absolutely bored

I stood on the furthest northern reach in Helovia, over looking the beautiful Aurora Basin. It as cold, yet the cold had not bothered me. I had an urging to meet the others of my new herd, as I had only met one. Torleik the Blookskald. He was certainly handsome, but he had seen a hole in my disguise. A hole that I needed to fix. But currently I had a curious thought. Where the others in my herd like me? Would I fit in? Where the others like me? I had currently yet to have started my training, to have started anything. Instead I had tried my hand at recruiting, but found that to have been a fruitless tree as of yet.

I had heard of a few names in my herd so far. Illynx the Gilded Blade. And Deimos the.. the... Aw hell, I couldn't remember. It had something to do with reaping. Who had I met? Torleik, Voodoo, Deline, Tsar', Archibald, Sacre, Abisha, and Ktulu. Six unicorns, two equine. I had heard of the pegasi here, but had yet to see one.Probably soon though,

But then again, I wouldn't meet anyone standing all the way up here, in the middle of these chilling mountains. Even though the sights where beautiful, and above me the colors danced in the sky. And even though below me, the Aurora basin looked serine, and peaceful. Cold, but peaceful.

I hung my head as a frosty wind blew across the steppes, and I had decided it was time I returned to the quiet home I now inhabited. I turned my body, and took long strong steps back the way I had came, back to my boredom, back to the quiet. Hell I might leave again, and find entertainment elsewhere.

@[Illynx] @[d'Artagnan]

OOC:
"blah blah blah."

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

d'Artagnan the Nightshade</style>
                                                                                               Death will know your name.</style>
How many times had d'Artagnan ventured into the Steppe to simply watch and think. That's all he did these days, watch. He'd become like a dormant volcano, capable of erupting, but not yet ready. Ready for what? The shade had reached a crossroads where two paths lie before him, one took him with Kou and to the life of an outcast. The other to the Aurora Basin. It had taken his leave of Time Mender and a march across Helovia to find Mauja for him to realize that having relied on the Frostheart so much may not have left him in good shape now. No purpose, no function. d'Artagnan had never envisioned the future as this dismal mess when he'd pledged his soul to the unicorn herd back when they had held the Worlds Edge. Out of all the relics of that time that still soldiered on, the Doctor bitterly admitted that it was he that had not dealt with defeat the best. He'd always been like that since being outcast from the clan lands, perhaps if his sire had not been so cruel when he was a child, then the shade would have turned out a lot more like Sacre. Now he was left here, a volcano, feared but not feared enough.

Aramis travelled alongside him, red tipped tail casually flipping from side to side as his paws latched onto the cold floor. Not particularly bothered about his bonded's mood, the hound knew his friend and that he had realized his past mistakes, perhaps now they could both return to how it was in the old days. Live once more before Lucifer sent for more souls to fill his army. There were still plenty of years left in the tank!

Brooding aside, the Doctor finally looked up to observe where exactly he was in the vast expanse of the wild Steppe only for his eyes to catch the mare in the distance. From his point of view she looked a lot like Aviya and thinking that perhaps it was his daughter, d'Artagnan and Aramis set off towards her. How long had it been since he'd last seen his favourite little demon? Far too long. d'Artagnan hadn't done a great job with his kids, but they all chose their own paths and it so happened that his eldest daughter followed close in his footsteps and thus close to his black heart. However, the closer he got the more disappointment began to sink in and the shade snorted a sigh. The mare looked very much like Aviya, but there were notable differences.

He moved in front of her advance anyway, the usual frown plastered on on his grumpy face whilst the wind continued to whip his hair in an annoying fashion. "Who are you?" His rough voice asked, it wasn't really a demand, but he didn't offer his own identity either.

image credits

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie

The devil bent my ear today about his magical elixir

That would make the sorrow go away

Through the passes, into the eternal snow that slumbers and waits for the heavens to spill forth in the seasons to come; for now, it lingers beneath the glinting sun, blinding in and off itself as she jauntily trots along, not swiftly progressing through her beloved snowy halls but not strolling, either. Her boy follows in tow, learning the paths quickly and able to keep up with her most of the time, closing the distance that sometimes grows between them with spurts of clumsy galloping that sends splashes of snow up against his own and his mother’s pelts.

She hoards him to herself, her treasure; the others are not worthy of him and cannot be trusted with the preciousness of his safe keeping, and so with her always he was. Darling Rikyn, her shadow babe, handsome and vibrant the pair as they travel through the mountains and out towards the northern reaches of the peninsula that were endlessly captured in the pristine arms of winter.

”What do you think of the Frostbreath Steppe, Rikyn?” she asks now that they are looking out at all of them, peaks on top of peaks on top of peaks rising into the horizon. She had been quite stunned the first time she’d seen them, but her son reacts to everything with broad eyes and wonder and so its no wonder he does the same now. Ever since he’s figured out that he has to watch where he’s walking, he’s become much more graceful and capable of studying the world around them while they walked, only trailing behind his mother when the footing forced him to slow or fall.

He takes a slow breath in, generally quiet from her experience as he forms his reply. ”Looks a lot like home with more snow,” he says quite dryly, and she laughs, aggravated but amused with his lack of wonder when facing such an imposing subject as the Steppe. It is possible he misunderstood her question, of course, and so she presses it no further for the time and returns to pointing out various turns of events she has had here in these mountains.

Before too long, they are in the valley where she and so many others had felled the Lightning Dragon, which she reiterates with much vibrancy and flair for his sake; she even acts out certain parts for him, like when Ruka had struck his killing blow or how she and Imogen had turned a raptor into a gutted crisp in order to save Arah. It’s quite the tale and takes a good amount of time and focus, so much so that she’s still in mid-combat with the invisible dragon as the hero of the day Ruka brings home the final slice when she hears a familiar voice in the distance.

”And then he swept under his throat, angling his barbed horn up, slici…oomph.”

Her upwards leap loses all of its playful articulation and becomes instead a sudden drop to the earth, leaving her with hooves splayed and eyes staring in the direction of the Doctor and the mare she’d met a few weeks prior at the entrance to the Basin.

Rikyn laughs; it’s not often his mother is caught off guard, especially while telling elaborate stories to her children.

Clearing her throat and hoping her… display of affection for her son had been missed, she strolls towards the two with her regal crown held as if she was not just frolicking on a mountain path like a filly on a sugar rush.

”d’Artagnian, Sialia! Out working patrols in the mountain?” she asks with chipper tone, Rikyn still snickering quietly behind her as he slides in to her right side and halts in the same step as she does. He does, at least, divert his face from the other two while sneering so as not to offend them with thoughts that he is laughing at them, but it still earns him a sour look from Illynx and a quick side kick to redirect his attention towards his elders.

”’Lo,” he offers dejectedly, bowing his head ever so slightly in just enough time avoid another tap of his mother’s hoof against his shin.

Doesn’t she know that shit hurts?

Artist | Background | Horse Head | Horse Figure | Table by Time
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Nessie

Sialia Odele
You're totally entertained, and I'm absolutely bored

I hadn't noticed him, until he started coming towards me. For a few moments, I contenued on, but then my curiosity got the best of me, and I came to a halt, to await his oncoming arrival. As he got closer I studied his unicorn frame with quiet interest. He was handsome, okay.... A blood bay at that. When he came closer, I noticed he had horns. Glass horns. No, they where certainly not fake. Not like that foolish child I had met at the threshold.

Finally, as his approach was almost finished I stretched myself up. Bringing myself to be taller. Though I wasn't worried about it, the stranger could have less than pure intentions. Though, as he halted before me, his words where not what I expected. "Who are you?" He asked, a grumpy look upon his face. He did not offer his own name.

What the fuck? What was up with the stallions being reluctant to give there own names? I huffed a little at the lean blood bay stallion. "Well, I could certainly ask you the same thing!"

Okay, so maybe getting snippity wasn't the best idea. But, Come on. I couldn't help it. I was a little irritated by the fact that I had barely met anyone, and my plan was going to shit. So far, I hadn't had a single moment to take over the world. It sucked.

Before, however I was able to get a response in, Illynx showed up, her son Rikyn in tow. Have I mentioned how much I love that name? Well, there. I have now.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her. It made me do a double take, as I was unsure of what she had been doing. She certainly was strange. I raised my brows for a moment, before shrugging it off. Who knows. She seemed to have seen us anyway, and she approached us. ”d’Artagnian, Sialia! Out working patrols in the mountain?” I turned my head to the blood bay stallion. d'Artagnian. So that was who he was.

"I guess that answers both of our questions, doesn't it." I say shortly, before turning back to my queen. I bow my head to her, and to her young prince by her side. He utters a single greeting, before going silent.

"Regretfully, I admit that I was not working patrols. I was actually on my way to see if recruiting needed to be done from the threshold." I said, softly, before watching the mare intently. I wonder, if she and this d'Artagnian are close. He isn't the father of the child, and that is obvious, but I have a slight feeling that they know each other very well.

@[Illynx] @[d'Artagnan]

OOC:
"blah blah blah."

d'Artagnan's gaze bored into the mares, his ears falling back onto his neck and he snorted in an exasperated fashion. Mares. Was it so difficult just to answer the question without a fight for it? The shade was beginning to think that females liked this sort of argument and that in some annoying way they enjoyed trying to get the better of others. At least, that was what d'Artagnan thought, who always had trouble with mares anyway. He was just about to chip in some snide remark about her being too clever for her own good before a familiar irritating voice pierced the air and d'Artagnan's shoulders visibly slumped, his expression contorting into something that almost looked like a tortured soul. Illynx. Their patron big wig had placed her in charge and sometimes the shade wondered if the Lord of Time had done that on purpose. His divine punishment for all his sins was the annoying voice of a bothersome mare who just loved to piss him off. Lips smacked together and he turned to grimace at the her Grace with a look of pure disgust. Aramis made a face that was much like a canine version of an eye roll.

"Has your mouth always been so big?" He asked her with annoyance filling his voice before he turned to the youth with a look of pity. Heaven only knew what the poor kid would grow up to be.

How had he ended up here? All he wanted was some time on his own to think and give Aramis time to exercise across the Steppe. Yet, somehow he'd ended up between two snippy mares who hadn't said much, but were already driving him to the edge of his sanity. Were they just designed to piss him off?! "Indeed" he answered Sialia's statement and looked pointedly at Illynx with irritation "the Steppe happens to be the best place for Aramis to stretch his legs. I wasn't planning on running into anyone" he grumbled. The situation called for emergency needs in the Doctor's opinion and he quickly dipped his sooty nose into his pouch and chewed on some foul tasting Snowweed, eagerly awaiting its boost of adrenaline to take over his senses.

[ooc; meerrh that was a bit lack lustre sorry if its weird xD]

image credits

@[Illynx]

filled with rage

Rikyn looks to the Doctor’s reaction to their arrival with one of supreme wonder as to why it is he always looks like mother makes his mouth taste bad anytime they approach. Part of him is afraid that it is him who draws the disgust to the face of the tall bay but he is a smart colt and has seen this reaction in too many near momma to worry for too long that he’s the reason the stallion looks that way. He himself has experienced some of that reputation of hers which has soured many she knows towards who she is personally, even if they accept her rule and delegation, and part of him wonders how long that will last when half your populace is content to kiss your ass and the other wonders why it is you have the job instead of them.

He can’t really focus too long on d’Artagnan or the other mare though, because as usual his mother is the center of the spotlight and she swiftly takes her place on stage, the words playing between all three adults while her child watches on with a bored expression wishing he was home playing with Aithniel rather than listening to adults talk about nothing. His dam, however, listens with riveted interest to each as they speak and glistens and gleams in the sun while her son molds into the background, a wallflower poised to hear the words of the grown ups but never truly to be noticed.

”So terribly sorry,” she retorts, rolling her eyes at the so easily disgruntled Doctor with a delicate giggle chiming from her curved lips, ”I wasn’t aware you hid your name from herd mates. I apologize for telling her what she would have learned eventually anyway, you grumpy bastard.”

It takes all Rikyn has not to chuckle at the rude name she’s called the man right in front of him without a lash batted. From his observations of other mares with their children, his mother is quite… lose mouthed with her word selection around him. In ways it makes him wonder if she has any idea what she’s doing raising him and in others it makes him feel respected, equal. She lets him in on all her secrets and the truth of the world, and for that he is grateful.

He is also very glad to have such a repertoire of vicious names at his disposal, so kindly lent to him from her lips.

The boy looks to d’Artagnan’s dog as he speaks of him, golden eyes flashing curiously across the strange animal while his mother listens to both explain that one is being useful and the other is, as usual, a balloon of hot air. Her smile falters only slightly in that she was wrong, but it is no matter really once she thinks about it; she hadn’t been doing anything particularly useful, either, except perhaps teaching Rikyn more about the world in which he had been born. A nod follows each explanation, her mind trailing elsewhere as the words come to a close and the Doctor’s reach for his satchel puts a new idea within her brain.

”Have you given any thought as to a profession, Sialia?” she asks, looking over to the dark toned woman and drawing her son’s attention to her words (as he was highly curious what all life could present to him and had yet to hear a detailed explanation of the jobs he might aspire to hold aside from leadership), ”d’Art here is quite the herbalist, however sour his disposition, as are a select others in the herd. I imagine you grew whatever you just ingested yourself, hm?” A glance is given to the Doctor, her smile one that shows she respects his skills and will honor him for his capabilities no matter how hard he seems to prod at her wrath. ”There are more opportunities aside from plants, however; Torleik eagerly accepts more soldiers to train and the Weavers may have a project or two that need extra hooves.” She pauses, thinking that the mare had been off to the Threshold and surely, then, enjoyed conversing with others. It was possible she was good at it, in which case there were many places for her to submit her talents. ”There are of course the shadow walkers, our secret keepers, and those who seek to learn of the Gods and the land. We have a deep need for builders and information gatherers, if you hold any interest or skills in those areas, or healing, such as d’Artagnan…” her smile is curved, revealing an inside joke between herself and the Doctor though a sly glance in his direction, ”and there is always the soldier’s path, a proud one for any.”

Big mouth indeed.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Nessie

Sialia</style>

quote quote quote

"Has your mouth always been so big?" He asks Illynx. I find an amused look appearing on my face, as he says this. ”So terribly sorry,” She retorts back, and I grin. ”I wasn’t aware you hid your name from herd mates. I apologize for telling her what she would have learned eventually anyway, you grumpy bastard.” At this point my shoulders shook from suppressed laughter. I dropped my grin however once d'Artangan looked my way.

"Indeed" He says to me, and I wonder... Is he always this grumpy? He then continued on in a response to Illynx as to what we had been doing. "the Steppe happens to be the best place for Aramis to stretch his legs. I wasn't planning on running into anyone" I glance at his dog, Aramis, and then back at the Blood Bay. Then Illynx takes my attention once more.

”Have you given any thought as to a profession, Sialia?” She asks me, turning her eyes to look into my royal blue hues. As I go to respond saying that I had indeed she continues. ”d’Art here is quite the herbalist, however sour his disposition, as are a select others in the herd. I imagine you grew whatever you just ingested yourself, hm?” In fact, I had not noticed he had ingested anything, as my attention had been turned to his companion. ”There are more opportunities aside from plants, however; Torleik eagerly accepts more soldiers to train and the Weavers may have a project or two that need extra hooves.” I stay quiet now, letting Illynx speak her piece. Oh yes. Torleik. Yummy. ”There are of course the shadow walkers, our secret keepers, and those who seek to learn of the Gods and the land. We have a deep need for builders and information gatherers, if you hold any interest or skills in those areas, or healing, such as d’Artagnan…” Illynx then has a sly smile appear on her features and casts a glance to d'Artangan. I do not get the amusement, but I suppose I am not meant to. ”and there is always the soldier’s path, a proud one for any.”

I listen, taking in the information, and I smile nodding my head. "I have given it thought Illynx. I do believe that I shall take the path of a soldier. Of course, I am still interested in learning all I can in other skills. Maybe d'Artangan could show me a few things?" I suggest. I had chosen to go with the soldiers, but I wanted to be a jack of all trades, so to speak. To know all I could possibly know was a goal, and I was determined to learn as much as my mind could hold.

Walk Here "Talk Here"

Doug1021 @ flickr
[Image: 538c1505470d5]
Please tag Sialia in all posts! Thanks!

Sorry my ass d’Artagnan inwardly grumbled as her highness played along with his disgruntled tendencies. Cold, mismatched eyes looked at her levelly as if there was nothing on earth he despised more than a mare who liked to play clever with him. Though all the while Aramis watched on with the knowledge that, really, the Nightshade didn’t carry the hate he liked to present to the Lady of the Aurora Basin. She played along with his black snide game and in a weird twisted way d’Artagnan enjoyed trying to get one over on her. Many would call it an unhealthy habit, but it kept the Doctor’s mind active and his spirits at a good level of annoyed, the shade was at his most useful when annoyed. The Gilded Blade, however, didn’t leave it at that and carried on with her one handed slap across the face. A metaphorical hand, d’Artagnan thought, she didn’t need. "No I suppose you’d have to see past your ego and your big mouth to be aware of anything." Abhorrent mare. Curse fate that put these females before him!

The shade felt the weed go down well and closed his eyes briefly as he waited for the delightful moment the blood took the rush of adrenaline and lifted his mood beyond the clouds. This was what it took to get through a conversation with the gilded pain in the neck.

Illnyx powered on with her cleverly weaved speech on ranks, making sure d’Artagnan knew that she hadn’t forgotten him and that she remembered just what he was good at. The Nightshade, despite prior bickering, had to snort in humour at that. Indeed a herbalist, that was one way to put it. A healer with a twist. Quite a big twist. As the plant took its effect and he found himself in a more energised mood, he answered the question with no malice and with a little more fever. Like he’d been on too much caffeine. "Or found. I know where all the intricate herbs are and have done since I first came to Helovia. The elderly Lord Earth was so kind in his blessing and showed me everything." Now that was a long time ago in what felt like another life time. When he, accompanied by Mauja, had travelled to the shrines of Gods where he was granted knowledge of all the poisonous flora Helovia had. Of course, as was the way of Gods, it had come with a twist. For every soul he killed with poison, he must heal and save another, effectively stopping the beast inside d’Artagnan from poisoning everyone he took a dislike to. These were the terms set by the fun killing puritan Earth.

In the end, Sialia seemed to choose the path of the soldier, but kept her options fairly wide open after prompting an opportunity for the Nightshade to help. To show her a few things. d’Artagnan had never been the best teacher, ask poor Lena who never received one lesson and Kou who had found another use for the Doctor’s time. There were things he could teach yes, he’d been around long enough to know some things others might not, but were they things Sialia would want to know? Well, he could always find out. "Could I?" He played an innocent tone and teased her for a moment with a challenging gaze before finally he relaxed it and his lips set into a grim line. "I suppose I could though-" he solemnly agreed before his voice reached new heights at the end, as if something had just suddenly occurred him.

"If you ever want to learn about interior design, ask Illynx!" The grumpy bastard played his card and smiled broadly at the Gilded Blade.

image credits

@[Illynx]

filled with rage

Big mouth?

She feels her lips rise into a sneer at such honorable mention.

Her son is not the only one amused with the flame laced words being tossed ever so nonchalantly between the two unicorns, the woman entirely amused with the game and d’Artagnan pretending, as usual, that he was not having just as much fun as she was. It was no matter to her, anyway – one of them had to be genuinely mad or it would lose its luster and the game would no longer be enjoyable.

Slyly, she winks to him. ”Observant as usual, dearest Doctor.”

And then the bickering seems to be over for the time being, which she is sorrowful for but is well hidden behind the enthusiasm with which she speaks of her herd. The change that comes over her long term companion in the macabre arts is evident in the humorous chortles that occasionally rise at her witty and hidden descriptions of his talents and, most obviously, when his words rush out of his mouth like an unbidden river of cheerful malice.

It was an odd, odd way to be, she decides most immediately, her son looking to the bloody bay with eyes wide with wonder at the sudden change in the man’s demeanor towards the entire situation, too young to understand that it was a high and not the man’s genuine state of being.

Were all of mother’s friends crazy as she was?

It was an answer to a question that had followed her for a long time, however, that the Earth itself had blessed d’Artagnan with his knowledge of all the things growing in the soil that could quite quickly and harmlessly return one there (or languorously feast on the innards of the victim, leaving them in agony, or leave the mind dumb and muted…); it settled the curves of her smile more firmly into the porcelain of her mask, to know that she was among those blessed by Gods and beloved by fate.

Her ear flicks to and from each of her companions as their words flicker in the conversation, finally settling on Sialia as she decided from the numerous options that Illynx had presented her; a soldier’s walk, hm? Illynx smiles, the darkness of her soul easily spied in the wolfish way her lips curve at the mention of her life until she had acquired her crown of ice.

Glancing to d’Artagnan with her pungent smile still lingering on her lips, she laughs merrily to his reply, too used to his stagnant social abilities to take the teasing as anything more than it was. Anyone who wished to learn from him would have to suffer his mouth; might as well begin the lessons in patience here.

What he says next, however, makes her brows rise and her smile instantaneously vanish into a scowl.

”I was a soldier myself, once,” she says through narrowed lids as her gaze angles its way back towards Sialia, softening some in the passage, ”a good path, one of honor and in which valuable lessons are learned. Never have I done interior design. He’s merely disgruntled none of the caves we expanded in the mining process were his own, as surely he’s seen the purpose was for more than just housing room unless he’s as blind as he is witty.” Of course, she means the Sentinel, a giant among men that would be hard to miss even one was blind – the wind even made a cacophony of its discovery as it beat across the metallic pelt of the thing, loud even while perfectly still.

Nessie

Sialia</style>

quote quote quote

I watch, my eyes flowing over these two unicorn creatures who have oramed these lands longer than I had. They joust, mean rude comments are their weapons. But neither seem to get cut. They seem to be amused. "No I suppose you’d have to see past your ego and your big mouth to be aware of anything." My brows raise, and I glance at Illynx. She gives him a sly wink, a good natured one. ”Observant as usual, dearest Doctor.”I feel the corners of my mouth tug at the humorous interaction.

But our conversation moves on, to the herbs that the doctor speaks of, and specializes in. "Or found. I know where all the intricate herbs are and have done since I first came to Helovia. The elderly Lord Earth was so kind in his blessing and showed me everything." I nod at him, interested.

"Tell me, d'Artagnan, what way do you choose to use these herbs? After all, nothing in this land is ever as it seems, and so I doubt that you are either. " I gaze at him, my dark blue eyes waiting, expectantly for his answer.

At my asking for some learning in his field, he grows solemn, Different from the hyper doctor from earlier. "Could I?" I wait, if he decides not to, I could find others to teach me. "I suppose I could though-" He agreed, and then the oddly hyper activity returned, a smile on his handsome face. "If you ever want to learn about interior design, ask Illynx!"

That smile on Illynx's face was suddenly a scowl. The doctor had jabbed and he had cut her. ”I was a soldier myself, once,” She says, directed at myself. ”a good path, one of honor and in which valuable lessons are learned. Never have I done interior design. He’s merely disgruntled none of the caves we expanded in the mining process were his own, as surely he’s seen the purpose was for more than just housing room unless he’s as blind as he is witty.” She emphasized the never. She was peeved.

"I see... I can see you being a terrifying opponent my lady. Though, I would not like to fight either of you. " I glance at the doctor. "Though, maybe he has reasons to be disgruntled. Odd reasons, maybe, but reasons none the less." I look back at the lady. I smile, slightly. I am done, and I let my gaze observe around me. Landing on the prince. I wonder if he is bored. Or if he is learning from the silver tongue of his mothers.

@[d'Artagnan] @[Illynx]

Walk Here "Talk Here"

Doug1021 @ flickr
[Image: 538c1505470d5]
Please tag Sialia in all posts! Thanks!