the Rift

The Last Samurai [Azzuen, Onni, Kri, Any]

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

Bodies struck with a heavy sound that was muffled between their hair and intensified with the wet slap of their sweat and blood. Feathers cut the air and tail hairs whipped the wind. Nails tore against rock and muscle shuddered with the frailty of morality and fading adrenaline.

Amidst all the toil, the unnatural song of a working blade hummed in-between the whine of the bodies.
Ampere.
His mind called for her now, but the sword had sung her last, sweet note as she drove into the chest of lion. She might have sung again, if not for the massive body of the cat twisting atop her, shattering her in two and then several more.
She might have flown again, if not for the feathers stripped from black wings and pale bone jutting unnaturally amidst them.

Still, he called to her, one fallen soul to another. "Am-pere."

He could feel her still, weakly, like a dimming pulse. Her metal was no less strong than the first day they met, but his electrical field was a mild spark now, his heart racing but his body weakening. It does no good for the heart to try harder when the blood pours freely from the throat.

He called to her again, but the cry was lost in the red saliva that gurgled between his teeth.

Gently he sighed, knowing her lost, or rather, understanding that he was lost. No healer could mend this damage, not without costs far greater. No one would find him in time anyway as battles raged on elsewhere in the Throat. The Samurai could smile at least, knowing that the lion he speared lay in similar fashion not far past, knowing that he helped Kri achieve her goals and in turn that he'd cleared the dark from his heart.

The dawn had come.
however long the night, the dawn will break
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
The battles weren’t done yet.

Shock rolled over him in waves. One moment he could walk forward, the next, he was frozen, left staring, helpless. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be. They were supposed to reunite and live out the rest of their lives together. They were supposed to get angry at each other, argue and torment each other – then they would get over it, move on and torment the rest of the world. Whatever happened to their plans? They were going to be leaders, these brothers of a feather. They were going to rule the world, the world their sire and dam had designed for them. They were going to raise their families together, they were going to live life, together, always.

The eyes that could orchestrate any colour were black today. Black, like the death that laid before him. He stood before his brother now, wanting to do something, but knowing there was nothing he could do. He bowed before the Samurai, dipping his crown low between his knees, lifting and bending his left foreleg to dip lower still. Lifting his cranium, he adjusted himself so as to lay down, to view his brother on equal terms in his dying breaths. It should be me. He has too much life left to live. Why couldn’t that lion have chosen me as an opponent? Even as he dared to think the words, he knew there was little use in thinking on them too deeply – what was done was done.

Azzuen had spent too much of his life running. Running from what he did not understand. How blind he had been – he had missed the life of his brother. He looked at the fine electric stained brute, not seeing the injuries that marred his form, but seeing the stallion for what he was – brilliant, strong, wise, respected. Voltaic had stayed where Azzuen could not, he had raised his family, made a name for himself. The monochromatic steed admired his brother, even in death, he had died honourably, in battle, defending what he believed in. Perhaps in time, Azzuen would be fortunate enough to have the same thought about him. If I can live my life even just half as well as he lived his, maybe my existence would be worth something after all.

Muzzle pressed against the bloodstained hide of Voltaic, the stallion breathed in his scent, longing to bring back what he could not, longing to relive his life by his brother’s side, wishing for some things to be undone. He tried not to get hung up on the ‘what ifs’ of the situation, but it was hard for him, grief riddled that he was. Delicately he reached for their father’s spear, which hid amongst his feathers, and placed it point down in the earth between them. He didn’t really know why he did so, but it simply was something he had to do. He could of taken away his brother’s pain as he breathed his final breaths, and yet he felt that it would be inappropriate to do so, but if the yellow streaked brute wished it of him he would do it without hesitation of course.

A shrill whinny jarred the stallion from his stupor as he lay beside his brother, and Azzuen was flooded with emotion, he was mentally slapped in the face. A small bundle of fur came galloping towards him, her hide dark on the edges, her wings overly large for her petite frame, her hide reflecting the rising morning above them. Cirrus.. he thought, thinking of the life she represented as his brother’s life faded. He thought of her beautiful mother, and he remembered what kept him anchored to this earth, he remembered the reason why breath still filled his lungs. It would take him time to process his grief, of course, but as the sunny little filly came and laid down beside her father, he knew that he would be able to process those dark feelings. He would pull through. Life would go on.

“He was great, you know.” Azzuen spoke to the filly, trying to smile, but probably looking like he was grimacing instead. The small child put her muzzle to his cheek, licking at the tears which rolled down them. “He will be remembered, always.” Seeming to be speaking mostly to himself now, he sighed shakily. Velvet lips ran over the filly’s shoulders lovingly, and she shifted her weight, allowing the stallion room to rise. He did so, and with his nape arched he gathered his thoughts, and spoke to the brother of his heart in loud, clear tones.

“Voltaic, brother of mine, I am sorry for the wrongs I did against you. My only wish is to right these wrongs by living life as you did; to inspire life in others, to cherish and fight for my beliefs. Brother, there never was a day in my life that you did not cross my mind, nor will there ever be. May you live on in the hearts of all who knew you, may you rest easy.”

It was hard for him to speak after that. He simply looked into the other stallion’s eyes as the spark faded slowly away from them. Cirrus crept forward, bravely nudging the fallen steed upon his brow, blowing soft kisses, not minding the blood that darkened her dark little muzzle. Soon after, she moved to stand beneath her father’s barrel, and watch quietly, with wide eyes, as others gathered for the death of the Samurai.

Boom Boom Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

onni.</style>
 the open-hearted make such a mess of themselves.</style>

Onni had heard a great upset from the edges of the land upon which she stood. Fear prickled in her spine at the sound of a great bellow or a roar, transforming her from a solid standing figure into something much less permeable. Wind soared more quickly over the Dragon's Throat than the tobiano could in her natural state, bringing her weightlessly to rest above the scene where her beloved mentor lay collapsed, bloodied, and broken on the floor. Her shock was enough to wrest her from the air, weight gaining on her body with every passing second. Wings ceased to beat as she fell from ther sky, brain starting to function only soon enough to bring up her wings to stop her from becoming a similar pile of wasted blood and flesh she now stared upon.

Hooves met the earth softly, but soon tore into the sand and rock to propel her painted body forward, blonde mane and tail soaring behind her like a banner. Feathers made a cutting noise like a blade as she covered the distance, her knees buckling just before she reached the familiar face of her friend. Tears poored outward, ceaselessly falling from the blue chasms that were once brightly colored eyes. The skin was torn away from her white knees, but she felt no pain. Not even the gentleness of her own tears were felt, wet upon her face. Those eyes saw nothing, not Azzuen or his child, as she was bent collapsed by the figure who she came to think of as her father.

"I can fix this," she began to plead to the dying stallion, calling up strength from the sun above her, willing her magic to flow through her body and onto the crimson stained black pelt below her. The sun seemed to shift in the sky, lurch to her side, and the mare began to glow like white hot embers. Her body levitated slightly, an intense light. All of the healing magic that surrounded her, gifted by the Gods, was useless, however. The light would not touch the still and chilling body of her lost friend. It stayed wrapped around the healer's own frame. No matter how hard Onni pushed, the fire and light would not budge toward a corpse.

Soon, not long, the power faded from around the painted mare, and she was lowered again to the ground, gently. While the Sun would not resurrect the dead, it tried to give peace to the living. Tears dried up in the pools from which they fell, a sullen expression worn on a brave face. "What I would not give to have you smile at me again, Voltaic."

""

image by Neal Fowler @ flickr.com</style>

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

Cassiopeia made her way over to Azzuen and the youthful filly at his hooves, legs pumping in the rhythm of a canter as she sought to diminish the distance between them. She allowed a sigh of relief to be released from her lungs, glad to see Cirrus unharmed and in her father's protection. She was relieved, though the emotion perished rather quickly when her cyan gaze fell upon the forlorn, battered body of one of their kin. It didn't take long for it to process within her mind that the pegasus whose aliveness was slowly ceasing to be was the brother of her mate. Instantly, her heart sank. Her gaze shifted at once to the dark figure of Azzuen as her gait slackened rapidly until she was moving at a walk.

He was hurting, that was evident. Not physically, but emotionally he was wounded, grieving the loss of his dear brother. The roan dame was discontented by his sorrow. Her own heart ached for the despair of her lover, and she wished more than anything there was some way she could ease his heartache. She listened with empathy as he spoke to the wounded stallion before him, and silently watched as the life gradually faded from his body.

Her plush muzzle pressed gently against Azzuen's muscular nape once she reached him, intending to comfort him in some way, as well as letting him know she was there. "I am so sorry, my love. He was a good soul, and I know he will be dearly missed." Her maidenly voice was gentle, condolent. The lyrics were hushed as they flowed smoothly off her tongue. Although she hadn't known the stallion personally, she knew how Azzuen regarded his brother.

She watched as Cirrus crept toward Voltaic and lightly kissed his brow, then sought refuge beneath the barrel of her sire. Cassi then allowed her suave voice to vibrate in her throat once again. "But Azzuen, he is not gone – not as long as he is remembered. We'll keep his memory alive in our hearts and minds." Her expression was somber as she witnessed the bereavement of the painted mare. She observed wordlessly as she attempted to mend his injuries, but it soon became apparent that it was too late. He was at peace, now. The electric embellished stallion had given up his life for the Tuuli and she couldn't help but feel it was an honorable way to go out: defending the ones he loved.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
Hmm, I was going to try and reply to this, as that had originally been my plan to have him leave with some departing words, but after actually writing the post and the responses made, I feel this is appropriate to have let him pass in that first post. I'm not sure he could say anything very inspiring anyway, or at least I can't :P

<3 all of you
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
Onni’s arrival and display of her healing magic refusal to work on the stiffening bodice of Voltaic. Azzuen looked on empathetically, knowing all too well the feeling of helplessness that must riddle her conscience. He moved to take a step toward her, but Cirrus was a step ahead, and made to nudge the maiden upon her cheekbone, in a childishly innocent display of affection and comfort. The cloud-streaked filly knew no other way to provide comfort, only that she found comfort in the nearness of her loved ones, and while this mare was a new acquaintance to her, she still tried to provide a comforting nearness. Electric blue eyes then looked up, and spied her mother standing alongside her father, but still she lingered by Onni, pressing her velvet nose against the mare’s cheek and brow, trying to rouse her to her surrounds once more.

The obsidian stallion watched the display of attempted comfort, and surmised that his presence any closer to Onni would make little difference with his daughter’s loving company so nearby, though he did not retract the step he had previously taken toward her. Welcoming the arrival of his beloved, though still unable to allow a smile to curve his lips, he nodded as she spoke, agreeing with her, knowing that her wise words were truth. Dark eyes whirled, hints of indigo edging his iris, though the darkness of grief still dominated his expressive gaze. He looked at his brother, and sighed, swinging his gaze to his daughter, mate and friend; focussing upon the living.

“He will be remembered, and honoured, forevermore.” Deep baritones confirmed Cassiopeia’s words. “Onni, there will never be another like my brother, however know that you have our friendship.” He spoke to the painted mare, not really knowing what else he could say.

“My name is Cirrus.” The little filly squeaked at the painted mare, still trying to get her attention, determined to wake her from the same stupor she saw her father enter before. Too youthful to fully appreciate the weight of exactly what was happening, the filly merely wanted to see a semblance of normalcy return to her home and her family.