the Rift

Cracking and cracked.

Inara Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
i found a bit of the world in a land of nothingness

She had left a very dark place indeed. Whatever land she had come from seemed to only feel the effects of autumn and winter, with spring and fall blending together in a short, clipped mish-mash of greens and sometimes colours. Here, at least, the snow caps seemed to recede and the grasses were fresh and green, renewed and rebirthed. Tasty. Whatever allure the mountain tops had in the distance had obviously enticed the black mare to find a path that would lead her in their direction, and after nearly a day of jogging, Inara found her there.

Something has struck her as odd when she crossed the threshold of the land- a shiver ran down her spine and her skin tingled for a moment, like she had stepped across an electrical current and her hooves had only just kept her grounded. Oddly, that did not dissuade her, and even though her instincts told her to be on guard, she pressed onwards.

Ears pressed back towards her mane and dual coloured eyes darting back and forth, Inara pushed further into this strange new place until she spotted others, gathering almost ceremoniously through sparsely laid out trees and amongst grasses that were still rather delicious looking, despite their cloak of shadows. Pausing at the edge of what appeared to be a meeting ground, Inara scans the faces of the others here, sourly assessing their appearances and noting that there were other rather unique looking creatures here. While she had seen the winged sorts in other places, higher up in the mountains where the airflow was strong and they were closer to the sky, she was surprised that the rest were a great multitude of different varieties here.

Even the wingless and the hornless congregated here, sporting little more than colourful designs on their skins to set them apart.

Only slightly self conscious of the cracked and dead looking horn that protruded from her skull and twisted out to the left, the mare turns her blue eye to the others and watches, still suspicious of what sort of meeting ground she had stumbled upon.

<style type="text/css">#sexiinara p::first-letter { padding-left: 20px; }</style>

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

The air was thick with humidity, the day hot and revoltingly clammy, and the dappled coat of the one-winged mare was pearled with shining, shimmery sweat as the sun shed its ferocious burning light down upon her. She had travelled north to the forest from her southern desert home upon the wings of a parrot much earlier when still the wishy-washy hues of dawn were breaking across the distant, eastern horizon. Her ability to transform and fly allowed a relatively swift journey, and clever camouflage between shallow minded communities who ventured across the land mostly with selfish intent. They figured not who she was, cloaked in still the same greys as her dappled, fur coat; sporting unlike them, a hooked beak and screech to irritate and deter. She blended well into the land, unusual yes, but not so much like the basilisks and zephyrs, spider-queens and tiny twix’s and could travel as though invisible. Certainly though, as she strolled between the woody old legs of the Threshold upon sure hooves and burly white knees, Africa was quite discernible.

A great crowd had gathered that day through the glades and trees alike, choking the tranquillity of the region with a drone-like hum, their proud, obnoxious voices drowning out the warble of a courting songbird and the whisper of leaves so stroked by the breath of the intermittent breeze. Africa found no comfort in the midst of the population; their lives were loud, their strategy too rehearsed, and instead she dithered where the shade felt deepest. Quiet eyes, buried beneath the flutter of long black lashes watched groups form and disperse before her- it seemed that the passing of the darkness had enticed a new generation of Helovians from the woodwork and she struggled for the most part to find any faces she recognized. With waning interest, the one-winged mare turned upon cracking, groaning limbs to find some place quieter so that she might gather her thoughts and decide whether or not to return another day.

Silas rested quietly upon the dip of her back, beak nestled snugly against the puff of his raven-black collar; dozing while the brightness of day offered no comfort. The zephyr was a creature of the night, born of starlight and beauty; though the glitter which cloaked him was quite dulled by the weight of the radiant sun. As his beloved turned, he was rocked from sleep and croaked in mild resentment, casting a chary violet eye to survey the woods surrounding. Their night before however had been long and busy, and he soon settled again to rest.

Africa had not ventured too much further into the trees when she paused, coal-rimmed nostrils flaring as her creamy gaze traced the form of another, a unicorn- or something much the same. Gingerly she let out a long breath, a snort loud enough to alert the stranger of her presence before continuing. She paused thoughtfully so that a small distance remained between them and offered a gentle smile. "The Threshold is busy today." She remarked candidly, glancing back in the direction from whence she had come- the glade which still teemed with life. "I’m Africa." Again Silas opened an eye to view the mare which had stirred his beloved’s mind and he watched silently, should the need for his protection rise.

Africa

Sialia Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 8 Years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Nessie

Sialia</style>

Your totally entertained, but I'm absolutely
bored

Out and about. Sweat glistened on my sleek obsidian coat. It was hot here, much hotter than at home. In fact, as the Tallsun continued to come, I began to love the Basin more and more. It's everlasting chill, and never being suffocated by the unbearable heat of summer.

Sadly, I still had to travel down here, in this hot sticky humid mess. Why? Because I needed to recruit. My past attempts had failed, but this time I would succeed. I passed many that day in the threshold.

None of which would be useful to the Basin. Either they would not be allowed in, they had already picked there future homes, or, they didn't have what it took to be a part of the Basin. But I came upon one unicorn, who caught my eye. I halted, and watched her through the tree's. As I moved closer I could see her horns, or lack thereof. Yes she was horned. But she was missing one. Well, in a way. Her horn was broken on one side. She was one of the dual horned. I smiled and I moved closer. Maybe she had what it took. Possibly she fit the bill.

As I approached so did another mare. A grey mare. A huge wing loomed in front of me- and wait. Just one wing? Holy fucking shit. She was missing a wing. Suddenly I was worried, though it did not show on my features. Would this mare try and use the understanding card? She better hell as not. Because that, would be bullshit.

This was all happening behind those dulled blue eyes of mine, the placid, cold, yet beautiful features. "It is quiet a warm day." I said softly, casting a glance at the dappled mare as I approach. I had not seen a winged one yet. And I was certainly interested. "Hello. I am Sialia. Of the Aurora Basin." I gave a bow to the unicorn mare and the winged mare. I was responding to both, not just one. Like I said a long time ago. I was cold and cruel, but not racist.

Walk Here "Talk Here"

Doug1021 @ flickr

Unregistered

Her discreet and ultimately quiet arrival at the edge of this strange meeting ground, though it had indeed been quiet and relatively unnoticed by the masses, had not gone completely ignored. While her pale eye skipped across the faces of the strangers, noting that there were many of the same species as herself, and just as many winged folks that seemed less interested in the horned kind, there were others that had eyes on her. She had noted that the unadorned appeared to mingle adversely, confusing Inara and forcing her attention to settle upon their plain backs with a sort of jealousy that they would never notice.

Momentarily focused on a particularly vibrantly coloured mare that flitted across the grasses, she heard little more than a rustle of leaves and feathers as the dappled mare approaches her, tucking one wing against her side as she did so. The other mare’s presence was enough to incite a scornful look from the dark mare, first accusing her soundlessly of interrupting her, then after a moment her gaze softens and she stares at the empty spot on the other mare’s shoulder where, she assumed, there used to be another wing that matched the one neatly tucked against the mare’s side.

There had always been moments in Inara’s life that she had been confronted by horses or other creatures that had been similarly crippled, and in those moments she had experienced a strange range of emotions. First, there was a burning curiosity to know how the other creature had come about losing whatever they had lost, or injuring whatever they had injured. Then, once she had mentally reminded herself of the sort of disaster that her curiosity had gotten her into long before those moments, she would realize that they would try to find common ground with her, and that perhaps she was to be accepted into a great group of cripples and freaks, because naturally, Inara was unnatural. Finally, she had decided that there was nothing wrong with the jagged edge on one of her horns that found it a good foot shorter than the other, and had made the decision to completely ignore the injury all together.

Inara liked to assume, in the faces of strangers, that there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with her.

Staring headlong at the dappled mare, Inara notes how she makes a subtle observation of this place, giving it a name and introducing herself before they are joined by another, this time by a woman with hard eyes and a single, carefully spiraled horn that jutted out of her forehead. The newcomer, a dark mare with a gaze that seemed to pierce their skins and give a hint of her internally turned judgments. Gazing into the pale striped face of the dark mare, Inara listens and narrows her eyes as she too, makes a rather non-descript observation of the weather, and then introduces herself, this time adding what the crippled mare thought of as the name of the place she hailed of. “It looks like I’ve fallen into an oddly proper place.” Inara says in a smooth voice, adding that as her own unimportant observation, but deciding the side-step the introductions. That was not something she was accustomed to. “Where I grew up, I was told not to just hand my name out to strangers- dark magics can screw with you if you’re not careful.” She adds flippantly before turning her body, carefully angling herself towards them and stepping back so as to keep her personal space to herself.

<style type="text/css">#sexiinara p::first-letter { padding-left: 20px; }</style>

Deceased

100%

She was well accustomed to the bitterness of the sour hearted and the sting of unfriendly reception. Naturally the scorn which so briefly reeled beneath the mismatched glare of the obsidian stranger hurt; Africa was a creature wrought only by the hand of gentleness and compassion, and each conflict she came across was as startling as the first bite of Frostfall’s snow. Drawing quickly from the grim hand of her experience, the discouragement was stripped clean from the humble pallid expression, so that it could easily have been mistaken simply for the restless shadows of the breeze-brushed redwoods as they swayed above. The other’s disconcerting demeanour however, was promptly replaced by some sentiment a little softer- still not altogether affable, she thought musingly in silence, but not hostile.

It did not readily occur to Africa that the half-horn resting above the left brow of the other mare was anything remarkable or unnatural, and so appropriately her curious eyes sought not to focus there. Likewise she was so well adapted to life without a functioning set of wings, that she never imagined the disability would attract the black’s interest. Instead they found themselves rather transfixed, awkwardly given the lack of pleasantry offered therein, by those blue and brown staring back. Their moment of solitude was lost however when another of the horned variety appeared and approached at liberty. Of course Africa had suffered at the hoof of the wicked souls of the Basin a long time ago, and the lingering memory of that trauma- no matter how removed she had grown, nor faded the pain, caused her to recoil a little inside.

A blatant confidence radiated with each nearing step the second black made; it was discomforting for Africa but she held herself well enough before them both, propped eagerly against the reminding weight of the golden dragons dancing across her tender brow. They should not have been able to perceive the subliminal nervousness tickling her mind. The one-winged mare certainly lacked the poise and strength of the Throat’s leaders before her, but she was fashioned with unyielding steadfastness that many around her lacked; she possessed a quiet mildness that had apparently appealed enough to the God of the Sun for him to sit her properly at the head of his followers- of his kingdom. Maybe it was that she balanced the stanch fearlessness and grandiose power of her clan, the reputation once belted around them. Whatever the lord of light and fire’s reasoning, she worked now tirelessly to please him.

The newcomer spoke and Africa’s long charcoal ears tipped politely towards her, pretty face following quickly after. The dapple grey was quite used to the wrath of Tallsun, of burning days and nights that seemed relentlessly to harbour the same swollen heat. She had travelled from the dry southern desert, and though sweat leaked constantly across her bland coat, she was more than comfortable. The cold was less forgiving for one whose hide was perpetually thinned to suit her home. The one-winged nodded agreeably never the less, and smiled quietly (not allowing her apprehension to show) as Sialia then introduced herself as a Basin Unicorn. Passing a fleeting glance by the first mare, the dual-horned stranger, Africa wondered if she should linger. A call was sent in those moments to the zephyr that had parted her side an hour ago to scout, though all thought was suddenly broken by the smooth note of the original black’s voice...

It was a fair remark the grey resolved, watching carefully beneath fluttering black lashes as the other turned to grant herself a greater area of space between them. "Indeed..." she mumbled in return, all too aware of the impact of those darkest magic’s around- she was reluctant to reveal her allegiance for that reason; for the reality of the past loathing between Sialia’s herd and her own. Her ‘sister’s’ life had been claimed cruelly by such power, by the heartless monsters among the northern clan. As it were, Africa felt at a loss, unsure what next she should say given the rather guarded and potentially fraught nature of the conversation. A light, cool shrug rolled through her shoulders. "You are wise to take that stance." She added then before allowing her mouth to resume its pleasant, innate smile. "Though I assure you no such wickedness darkens my heart, or those I live beside."
Africa
@[Sialia]

Nessie

Sialia</style>

quote quote quote

I gazed at my two current companions. They grey mare was polite, and I wondered how she had lost that wing of hers? I turn my head away, observing the black mare. I found that I tended to radiate my feelings, through some flaw in my pretty facade. I came in with confidence, but I may leave, finding that my original confidence had been foolish, and deceiving.

But I would try my best. It would help of course, if I had back up on this one. Then in response to my introduction the black mare in front of me spoke. “It looks like I’ve fallen into an oddly proper place.” My ears flick forward, catching her words in the well formed curves.

"Proper? Possibly. Odd? Completely." I respond to her comment, before listening to her speak again. “Where I grew up, I was told not to just hand my name out to strangers- dark magics can screw with you if you’re not careful.”

I smile, a cold smile. "A very true point..." I say quietly. "But, if we all where to take others names and do dark things with them, we wouldn't have any friends. I suppose that is why most of us do not do such dark things with names then. Where I grew up, giving a name was to gain others trust, while you gave trust to them. After all, you cannot gain trust until you give it." I felt like I had rambled on a little, but it was the truth from my perspective. From her perspective I could surely be giving a fake name, where as I could also be trying to earn hers to do awful things with. I may be cruel, but that was beyond my level of cruelty.

I took names to gain friends, those to support me, to hold me up when I needed them. I would have to do the same for them, I knew that. But I did not use the practice of taking names and using them to hurt others.

And so I looked over at the dapple Pegasus. "You are wise to take that stance." She said, and then continued on.
"Though I assure you no such wickedness darkens my heart, or those I live beside."
I wonder who she lived besides, as this mare did not say. I wonder if she held beck because I, a Basin mare, was present? It seemed there was a many of those who held back around I or others from the Basin.

Walk Here "Talk Here"

Doug1021 @ flickr
[Image: 538c1505470d5]
Please tag Sialia in all posts! Thanks!

Unregistered

Whatever customs she had grown up with and had been forced to run through her veins through birth seemed unimportant here. Whatever she had learnt seemed to lose focus and become unimportant, but she felt like a creature of habit now, being careful and suspicious of strangers and the unknown. As a child she had been taught to think differently, but it was amazing how the world can change the souls that float through it, and she had matured into a very changed woman.

Even with the gentle encouragement from the dappled mare, she thinks it best to withhold her name, assurances or not. As a child she had seen how names can be twisted and manipulated, how witches and sorcerers could adopt faces and weave curses or spells. Maybe this place was different, but a given name, in the superstitious eyes of the black mare, was the most powerful thing she had ever known. With her own name carefully tucked away into the back of her mind and the way she remembers her mother had said it when she last saw the scornful woman, Inara nods silently in acknowledgement to Africa’s words.

While the one-winged mare had seen the goodness and the loyalty in the hearts of those she stood beside, the mare with the broken horn was still a stranger to these creatures, and her apprehension, for now it seemed, was decided.

The other mare, as equally dark as herself, brought with her a sort of cloud that seemed to close up the dappled mare a little bit, and this receives Inara’s careful observation with narrowed eyes. She knows nothing of the sort of quarrels to be had between the lands of this place, and perhaps she didn’t really care to know, so for now she focuses on the dark skinned mare. “Not everyone we come across is interested in making friends, unfortunately.” She speaks with a soft voice, remembering the subtly careful stance between the two mares. “There are sometimes sinister beings in the world that ruin everything for the rest of us.” Just as her mother had ruined any chance of Inara becoming a trusting and trustworthy creature when she had turned her anger towards her after that fateful incident with a hungry predator.

With a soft sigh, Inara submits herself to the situation unfolding before her and became willing to acknowledge that both mares were here for a reason, and that it would be futile to keep beating around the bush. “I suppose this is a recruiting place of sorts, and you’ve both been tasked with bringing home more numbers. So what can the both of you offer me? It is an admittance of curiosity, to know just where these two very different creatures hailed from and just what it meant if she were to follow either of them home. Though her suspicions still linger in the back of her mind, and she thinks it unlikely that she will follow either of these mares home if she were to remain uninformed or in the dark.

ooc: Oh geez, I posted from the wrong account roflmao. Sorry!

@[Africa]

Deceased

100%

A couple passed close by them, leaving the glade in which they had been chatted at length perhaps about the weather, or woes of their past. Rarely did Africa meet others bright of spirit and short of pain, though it fazed her little to welcome them into Helovia. Thick dark lashes fluttered curiously as she heeded their path through the trees, interested to think what future lay ahead. Two or three years had passed already since she had graced these parts like a babe, freshly weaned from the bosom of her mother. She had been a whirlwind of enthusiasm and reckless ambition strewn upon a land of hostility and spite; inexperience which would ultimately forge the careful character she would become. Only more recently though, had the shadow of doubt and distrust on display now before her truly been something she could relate to. Switching attitudes and swinging intentions were not something she readily found comfort beside.

Sialia seemed much wordier than most other Unicorn’s she knew- those hailing from the Basin anyway from Africa’s experience acted rashly and quickly on impulse, rather than passing the time through conversation. Perhaps her perspective had been perverted by those wicked few she had been unlucky enough to encounter, but that view had been imprinted as strongly into her mind, as an infant’s memory of their mother. She stood listening quietly to the other’s long-winded, not so philosophical spiel about names, long weighty ears wavering enduringly through the curling flames around them. When the creature with the disconcertingly cold smile had finished, her dark eyes came to rest upon the Starry-Eyed while she spoke briefly.

The other black, the reason behind the impromptu gathering sighed a little. Africa’s ears stiffened forwards at last, her pale gaze also coming to rest upon the newcomer. Her thoughts were voiced at last- her perception of the Threshold and what exactly its purpose was, to which the grey smiled delicately and nodded. Indeed it was the bridge between worlds where the lost and wandering were funnelled helplessly into a pit of ravenous wolves, all desperate to snare commitment and loyalty. She was neither of those though, never had she been. Should recruits be found while she strolled through the old pungent pines, all the better, but she was not as careless in choice and hungry for numbers as many around her.

The final question lingered in thought as silence was left to grow between them at last. Africa drew a long breath and began. "I am Africa... (She was not sure if Sialia had witnessed the introduction earlier) ... and I come from the southern desert, Dragon’s Throat. We are a spiritual clan serving faithfully the almighty God of light and warmth; sand and sun. Though our land is old and rich with history, the dynamics of our herd have recently been reformed. There is new power, striving in a fresh direction to the unwavering militaristic rule of the past. Still defence is a priority, but culture, diplomacy and education have become a more pivotal part of our peaceful herd’s existence.” Carefully she skirted the subject of ranks- those which were still mostly unfilled, leaving their strength and defence in a questionable position. Africa trusted their lord though, and feared not that the Throat held so few bodies. She had no doubt time would be generous to them- the Throatlings worked steadily in his name after all.
Africa

Nessie

Sialia</style>

I wont soothe your pain...

I wont ease your strain...

I seek you out, flay you alive.

One more word and you wont survive.

Fuck. I was eating shit, and guess what? I seemed to be enjoying it. That damn one winged Pegasus made everything go down the drain for me. I knew it. No emotion. Calm down. I stand tall, replacing to relaxed stature with a soldiers stoic robotic look. I listened to the mare, and I stay quiet. “Not everyone we come across is interested in making friends, unfortunately.” She was making a good point, one I decided to not continue to argue with. I wanted her to come home with me, after all. “There are sometimes sinister beings in the world that ruin everything for the rest of us.” I nod, agreeing quietly.

But, we all seemed to remain quiet for a moment. I decided to gaze at the familiar surroundings. The dark unnamed mare then sighed, breaking the odd silence, and continuing on. I suppose this is a recruiting place of sorts, and you’ve both been tasked with bringing home more numbers. So what can the both of you offer me? I look at the dapple grey mare, as she speaks her piece.

"I am Africa... and I come from the southern desert, Dragon’s Throat. We are a spiritual clan serving faithfully the almighty God of light and warmth; sand and sun. Though our land is old and rich with history, the dynamics of our herd have recently been reformed. There is new power, striving in a fresh direction to the unwavering militaristic rule of the past. Still defense is a priority, but culture, diplomacy and education have become a more pivotal part of our peaceful herd’s existence.”

It was my turn. "As I stated before hand I come from the Aurora Basin, the utmost northern herd land here in Helovia. As the name suggests I live in what looks like a basin between the mountains, and during the night the Aurora Borealis grants the herd with its magnificent colors. Thus the named, The Aurora Basin. My herd worships the Time God, he who brings us time, and two of our ranks use the power of time that he has bestowed upon us. The time mender, and the haruspex. We only allow Unicorns in through our gates, I do not know the reason. However, all unicorns are welcome past our sentinel, a great machine that only allows those who belong to the Basin by, unless you have an escort. Courtesy of our Engineer, Ulrik. The basin welcomes all unicorns into there arms however with warmth, no matter of the way there horns are placed. The lord and lady are Deimos the Reaper, and Illynx the Gilded Blade. " I say, then I am done. I smile warmly, and nod my head. Whoever she chose, it was her choice.

Walk Here "Talk Here"

Doug1021 @ flickr

Unregistered

The thought of having stumbled across a passageway of sorts was uncomfortable, and Inara felt as though she was intruding on some sort of ritual that she was not entirely keen on partaking in. She had been correct in assuming that both mares were interested in seeing her home with either one of them, and perhaps had started some quiet, internalized competition to see who the winner would be. Taking a moment to think, she was not bothered by either mares’ desire to convince her to return to either Dragon’s Throat or Aurora Basin, and she took a moment to consider both options.

It seemed that both herdlands were rich in their own kind of culture, with special rankings and celestial gifts bestowed upon them by, she supposed, were their own unique gods acting as figureheads or guides. While she considered the intimate details of both lands, she returned to one thought and one alone. Did she prefer the heat or the cold? Her home had been mild in climate, with winters that were not so brisk as to be threatening to one’s health, and the summers there had been warm, but never so hot as to be uncomfortable. Perhaps this is where she must make her decision.

Watching the black mare, she listens to her until she finishes speaking before deciding to weigh in. “It seems you both live in lands that are filled to the brim with their own… culture.” While she had not heard as much on the culture of the Aurora Basin, she had heard enough about Dragon’s Throat to see what they were two completely different lands with, she supposed, completely different ideals. “Though neither of you have told me much about what lies in either land that can benefit me, I find I’m not much of a fan of the cold.” She addresses the last part of her sentiment directly to Sialia, making eye contact for a few moments before carrying on.

While it did not bother her that there were only unicorns allowed to live within the borders of Aurora Basin, she did fear that she, perhaps, did not qualify as being a unicorn, and that the sorry state of her cracked and withered horn atop her left brow would be enough to make others apprehensive of her abilities. “Can I see both places before I make my decision?” Inara had always been a creature of action, and while there was a promise of a lack of prejudice in Dragon’s Throat (being that it seemed they welcomes the one-winged mare there with open enough arms to send her off recruiting others), there seemed little reason for her to want to become a culturally educated creature in the midst of a peaceful land. The dark mare is unapologetic of her decision to view both places before deciding where she would, she assumed, spend her forever, as she assumed both places would be much like her old home, where once integrated into the group she would be expected to stay for the long run and leaving was frowned upon and likely to make a few enemies.

@[Africa] @[Sialia]
ooc: Is Inara allowed to see both lands before making a decision? If not, then I guess next post she can decide :)

Deceased

100%

Though generous she had been when sharing her explanation of Dragon’s Throat and all it encompassed, Africa had been careful and clever, keeping to herself the finer details which might easily have been taken home by the Basin mare to feed to her superiors in lieu of some excellent prize or praise. The one-winged mare was no fool, and was surprised to say the least when her single-horned company followed not the same tactful lead. The other went on to describe the physical features of her pit, and the reason for its recognition which (possibly) she had thought might be all the more enticing- the dancing lights of the north which the grey agreed were lovely having witnessed their glory herself But she said nothing, the delicate and civil smile unmoved upon her lips.

Fluttering lashes concealed the expanding intrigue behind her soft-yellowy gaze as Sialia continued, mentioning unnecessarily and liberally the manner of her herd’s allegiance to the horned, and the machine sentinel who allowed no other species into their midst. Africa shifted her weight beneath a deep breath, knees cracking stiffly as she did so. It was all she could do to keep from scoffing her contempt for the raven mare’s foolishness out loud. Soon too she was informed that the Reaper and the Gilded Blade sat upon the bitter throne there- Deimos, the fiend part responsible for taking a Throatling’s life. Again the one-winged almost laughed. Sinuhe, whose life had been robbed, was none other than a Unicorn herself... It all quite confirmed her well masked distrust for that group and their affiliates; they were a hypocritical, bigoted band.

All which Sialia had offered was far more information than she would have bid her own herd reveal, especially given the tension throughout Helovia since the Darkness.

While she wished not the heart of this wanderer to fall victim of the Basin, Africa could not express her feelings so openly here; would not bare her vulnerable ‘throat’ so candidly across the chopping block. Instead she smiled quietly, nodding toward the newcomer who had just spokien and suggested that she first trial life in the cold north. She would be safe after all- here stood her escort... "Fair suggestion. Why not trial Sialia’s offer first then. Should it not win your favour, do come into the south to find me." Of course Africa could not expose the very centre of her home; her heart, so freely to indecisiveness (not while it was still such a babe), only for the black mare to abandon their hospitality ruthlessly and take word of all she had witnessed back into the north. If their world was not to her liking, then she would indeed be welcome to meet again with the Starry-Eyed by the southern Helovian shore.

The Sultana still knew not even the name of the mare they were ‘battling’ for...
Africa

@[Sialia]

Nessie

Sialia</style>

I wont soothe your pain...

I wont ease your strain...

I seek you out, flay you alive.

One more word and you wont survive.

Was I as delicate with my words? No so much. Did I give out the best details in me herd? No, not really because to be honest I was still learning about the Basin myself.

I was silent, still stiff, stock still. Catching all words passed in my big curved ears. "It seems you both live in lands that are filled to the brim with their own… culture.” Yeah, I didn't mention much of the culture in my own speech. But, I didn't know any of it yet, other than the whole only unicorns thing.“Though neither of you have told me much about what lies in either land that can benefit me, I find I’m not much of a fan of the cold.”

Seriously? Not a huge fan of the cold? What was up with the unicorns lately not being fans of the cold! Honestly, tough up! It isn't as bad as having heat strokes. Sure, hypothemia is a bit of an issue, but you get cold go find someone to cuddle up with or go do something productive...

Then the dapple mare spoke. "Fair suggestion. Why not trial Sialia’s offer first then. Should it not win your favour, do come into the south to find me." The dapple mare... what was her name again? Asia... Antartica... No. Africa. From the Dragons Throat. So, she is willing to let the mare come with me, and possible lose her... Interesting. I turn to the dark mare, and nod my head to her. "I find that fair enough. However, If you where to return to Africa's Throat how could I know you would not share.. Well vital information with them? I could see that going either way, if you where to return with Africa and come my way, you could conceivably return with secrets of there own... I am sure you could understand my concern? " I glance at the two. Yes she was a newcomer, but I had to be careful too.

I couldn't afford to fuck up. Not now, not ever. I must be careful at all times. Although my explanation had not been so covered like Africa's, I dealt no secrets through them. Those that I knew I kept to myself.

Walk Here "Talk Here"

@[Inara] @[Africa]

Doug1021 @ flickr

Unregistered

She wanted little to do with the seemingly bitter relations that appeared to be suspended between the two terrains she was now divided between. While the histories of both lands were lost upon her, she did not miss the way the two mares vaguely described their homes, as if there was more to Dragon’s Throat and Aurora Basin than the sturdy ground that stood under the borders that made up the kingdoms. It seemed as though both women were reluctant to tell Inara just what she was to be getting herself into if she were to go with either herd.

She nods quietly in the direction of Africa when she agrees with her decision, thankful that the dappled mare seemed to accept the black mare’s decision to see more of what she was getting herself into, despite being careful enough to not give either mare her name. Turning her head towards Sialia, half expecting to be lead in the direction that Aurora Basin lay, she is instead greeted with an apprehensive sort of paranoia, and a look that she remembers best as the sort of look that had been painted across her mother’s face when she had offered to look over her sister for a few short hours when Inara had still been a part of that land.

Instead of offering reassurances of being loyal to a creature that she did not even know that well, she flips her dark ears backwards and narrows her eyes, feeling as though the mistrust that she, as a stranger to this land, had knowingly placed upon both mare’s equally, had been reflected back upon her. “If that was the case, then the both of you should be afraid that I could single handedly be the downfall of your righteous regimes.” Her tone is almost bitter, as if she did not understand why Sialia had come here in hopes of recruiting members to join her in her home if she was so worried that Inara might betray those in Aurora Basin. “If such paranoia is what spawns from your corner of this land, then I want no part in it.

With that, she turns back to Africa, an irritated look still alight in her eyes as she speaks to the dappled mare in turn now. “I hope you would not take issue with me seeing Dragon’s Throat before deciding to stay there or not.” It seemed that she had resolved to decide between staying in Dragon’s Throat as a newcomer, or going about the land on her lonesome before thinking to tie herself to a land.

@[Africa]

Deceased

100%

The long-winded Basin mare spoke again promptly, nodding alone to the dark stranger as she agreed, and then passing her suspicious eyes across Africa also when silence finally caught her tongue. It became quickly apparent though that their company felt not so understanding towards the stream of scepticism unleashed, like perhaps Sialia had envisaged. Just after the grey had spoken, offering to wait until the frosty dungeon had been trialled, the bi-horned mare had turned ready to leave, only to be very visibly taken aback instead.

Africa watched bemusedly, rocking her weight clear of the tension as it thickened the air between the trio, as the stranger’s white-blazed expression pinched (she thought) with frustration. Her ears had sliced backwards, blue and brown eyes narrowing, and instinctively the one-winged sent a silent call through her bond. She could hold her own indeed, but she was also a creature quite resistant to the trials of conflict- if Africa could avoid it, she would. On many occasions in the past, she had slipped from provocation, and the anger of others into apparent oblivion; using the arts of the zephyr she travelled with to vanish faster than the speed of light; a blur, a streak across their eyes.

The lithe, slender black spoke to Sialia and the Starry-Eyed felt could almost feel a hiss of scorn dancing between each word. Her long grey-rimmed ears fluttered beneath the bitter weight of the mood; she was unafraid, but uncomfortable all the same. Pastel-yellow eyes roamed between the pair, intrigued, but the harmless flames dancing wildly through the curtaining grey forelock concealed her interest well. Normally, the golden crown perched upon her brow guided the thick unruly hair to fall either side of her face, but deliberately it had been left hidden beneath the lush shade of old Dragon’s Blood. Her rank, whether or not it might anyway, bore no influence over those wandering through this wilderness.

Her heart fluttered with excitement as the stranger began to turn away from the Basin Unicorn, and she might have smiled warmly had not the look of irritation still reeled beneath the dim gloss of her eyes. Instead the one-winged nodded modestly, and opened a little her only wing to welcome forward the other in Pegasus fashion. It did not matter if the gesture held little meaning, it was graciousness ingrained through the generations of Africa’s kind.

While her raven and red tail flicked idly, pensively, beneath the lick of fire, the grey nodded thoughtfully; still aware that a decision had not been made. "Not at all... you will be my personal guest." she answered kindly, bidding Sialia a respectful salutation via the bounce of her large skull. The Starry-eyed was both well mannered and of a placid nature; she held no contempt for the other directly, only of course the unfortunate loyalty she had sworn herself to. At that point Africa was turning towards the south and stepping forward so that she and this anonymous companion might reach the borders of Dragon’s Throat by dusk.

[Ooc: I will start a thread in the Throat :) ]

Africa