the Rift

[PRIVATE] The proposition

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

The ranks were filling, slowly; though it seemed the faster she appointed such responsibility to those who had requested it, the faster the herd seemed to vanish. Africa was bemused to say the least, frustrated and tired, but she drew strength from those loyal few who remained and worked despite her flailing efforts to form any sort of foundation. It was for them she continued, for the life of the desert and the God of the Sun who had entrusted her with his followers.

Clouds amassed overhead, low and heavy; pregnant with maybe the last storm of the season, and the air all around seemed overwhelmingly thick with humidity. She stood idly beneath the weathered skeleton of Dragon’s Blood, its gnarled shadow across her dappled frame dulled as the region fell into grim darkness. Only the bellowing grumble of the heavens gave warning for the wrath about to descend on the arid landscape, though the air seemed alive with anticipation; electricity, exciting the fine hairs of her coat to lift. Africa had not seen weather so ominous in these parts for many moons and a tickle crawled along the length of her sensitive spine.

"Silas?" She probed his mind tenderly, calling for him to return. The zephyr had left early in the afternoon to forage for late Birdsong fruits among the tallest of the oasis palms. Another roar through the blanket of dismal grey above and the clammy air seemed to vibrate around her. For a moment her eyes closed and she held her breath. The flutter of wings, cool wind against the soaking sweat cloaking her caused her thoughts again to focus, and Africa smiled affectionately as her bonded settled his small weight upon her rump. His sharp lilac eyes peered at her curiously; small face tilted with interest after the last of his meal was promptly swallowed. “Would you find Sikeax for me?” The young girl had intrigued Africa from the start with a bright attitude and motivation that reminded her immediately of her own youthful vigour. More recently though, she had returned home with a rather confronting weight baring down her shoulders and it troubled the dappled mare deeply.

The zephyr nodded once, a brisk gesture that was swiftly followed by the spread of his glossy black wings. With no effort on his part at all, the growing breeze gathered beneath and lifted him into the air. Away he flew to find the honey-tinged creature whose horn glowed in unison with her eyes. He remembered her well; Africa was fond of her, and so a point had been made to store her memory in his clever mind. He flew quickly beneath the storm cell, searching with hawk-like skill until he found her, calling his eerie song above her so that she might heed his intent and follow.
Africa

@[Sikeax]

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax
The day shifted fast to a place that was nothing but welcoming to her, sparks of electricity running high through the humid air and lifting her spirits. Ocean water offered a harsh sting to her skin while she bathed. While it splashed against every inch of her body, threading foam fingers to fit into place with the beads of sweat that had earlier clung to her skin with a relentless vengeance. She had at some point gained a womanly point of view, though odd in what would later on be considered a 'tom boy' personality, she got the faintest of ideas that an odor of sweat had gotten itself upon her and that bathing in the sea's salt would do her well.
When the waves came too harsh even for someone who was such an aquaphile as herself, the muscles in her legs ached with whispers too loud to go ignored. She came to pull herself out, shaking as if she was a wet dog when she came to place her hooves against the structure of packed sand. Droplets flew in every which direction like blood splatter about her and dotted her trail when she began the trek inland. Her stomach was gently pleading with her for the sweet sensation of being filled with Birdsong grasses. Even her weight had gained with the change of season, adding extra pounds that she was sure she would lose when Tallsun came in.
Lightning crackled across the sky and the ignition gave her a small start. Dancing on her legs and swaying with the wind, more particles flew outwards. Eager for rain and tempted by the combined threats of thunder and lightning, she swept her eyes to the clouds. In the process of searching, she lacked finding what she wanted, instead coming across the bird she knew as Silas, alone without Africa.
Only momentarily did it seem strange and out of place to see the single winged woman without her companion. As loyal as the bird seemed to be(she refused to doubt the bond between the two), her thoughts soothed themselves with the idea that he had left her side to find something.
With curiosity, she followed his path, collected at a smooth canter when the first tears fell from above.
How ever far the large bird had taken her, it led her to who she knew would always be at the other end when it came to Silas. She came across the other mare alone, standing beneath a tree that seemed long past it's glory days and clearly beaten down by the years. It was one she had lacked the time to become acquainted with; from the sights of other herd members occasionally strolling over to it, she came to the idea that it held some sort of importance that she had yet to be let in on.
"Miss Africa, it is good to see you and Silas again. How are the two of you?" She offered a smile. At another time, it might of been considered lifeless, a faint light lazily moving throughout the dark making no impact. Now, she could feel it be a bit more sure of herself, willing to be feel better and let her depression pass off without notice.
"The storm is quite lively, isn't it?"

OOC: Typed this one up real fast, so please do forgive if the quality is not the best.

In winter, some voices are like coats - Mosteghanemi
Image Credit
This beautiful table courtesy of the lovely Sevin

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Deceased

100%

Finally crackling light pieced the darkness that had descended. Silas dipped lower, unenthused by the danger its voltage presented as he skimmed through the whispering warning of rousing wind. Take cover! it seemed to hiss, Take cover! though the zephyr had not the time to burry himself away from the looming storm yet. On he flew, searching carefully through the lush foliage of the oasis from above for her sleek, pale body; scanning the dip and swing of the rolling red-gold dunes both south and west, but he did not find her there. Only as he ventured into the north of the desert flanking their paradise did he trace the blur of her movement, dancing wildly with the wind. Sikeax was returning home it seemed from whatever business she had needed to tend to, and he hovered above her momentarily to be certain her interest had been engaged. He watched vigilantly until her face lifted towards the sky- be that to find him or for another reason he cared not. Finally he circled her, brilliant star-sheen trailing in his wake, and set off east once more.

Africa searched patiently through the eyes of her bonded. It was a gift she did not often utilise for the sake of respect, but she knew well that if he wished her not to do such, Silas would close his mind. A relieved smile swept into her drawn expression as he came upon Sikeax, and quickly she recoiled, leaving them to the journey across the still warm sands of home.

The first drops to fall across the desert were large and bitterly cold, plummeting headlong into the hot sandy barrier which seemed to repel the moisture offered. Her coat was far more receptive though, absorbing greedily the rain as it intensified and for a moment Africa wished she’d not left her cloak in the oasis. Streams of sweat and dust soon spilled from her body, spouting little waterfalls by the tips of her flinching elbows and curved, lean belly, both cleansing and cooling as she stood waiting by the ancient relic of tree. Thunder rolled in angry bursts through the black cloud cover and lightning clashed violently through each, indicating that the storm was building square above them. As the grey began to wish for her companion’s return; for his safety, the small shadowy silhouette of the zephyr finally appeared through a neon flash of light. A long sigh slipped between her lips, tongue licking away the water collecting across them.

Silas swooped towards her swiftly, great wings tucked snugly to each side. He was pleased to leave the sky; the weather was unforgiving- rare ferocity swelling through its core. Sikeax had followed well at a canter, and as he alit upon the rump of his beloved and turned, the softly coloured girl was pulling up with a smile written through her young features.

Dimpled, whiskery chin lifted to meet the arrival of the mythical bird, and she thanked him earnestly and silently through their bound minds. The rain scattered across the length of her muscular body as he fluttered before landing, and she waited motionlessly until the gentle clench of his raptor-like talons had marked the security of his grip. After him came the young mare she had summoned, and in return for the smile gifted, Africa offered a rattly snort and kindly grin of her own. Pastel eyes watched carefully as Sikeax spoke, tracing the line of her expression for credibility. She held not the same reckless trust these days for any and all encountered, ties had been severed during the Darkness, and allegiances across all of Helovia were being reforged with new cunning tact. No longer was she sure who could be relied upon.

"Sikeax, you as well. I’ve not seen such fury since perhaps our rendezvous beneath the tree many months back.” The Sultana chuckled quietly, with slight reserve, reminiscing vaguely through lighter times. "We are fine thanks. Are you feeling any better my sister?" An air of concern slipped across her pale face, but the smile did not waver as she embraced the other’s arrival wholeheartedly. Africa was no pretender, sensitive primarily to the wellbeing of her small, but growing family.
Africa

Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax
The feeling of relief that came across her body, emotions, mental, and physical state altogether warmed her slightly. Africa seemed pleased to have her as company. For a moment, she was beginning to believe that the female before had accepted her as friend, something she could do nothing more than uphold in the highest of honours.
Having their past meeting been mentioned, she laughed in a casual way, almost lady-like. Beneath all that could be seen on the outside, she was still a wild child willing to fight tooth and hoof when it came down to the safety of her family and friends, one who loved the feeling of rolling in the mud and acting as unlady-like as she could be. Her lady-like fashion rose up with her new maturity, being used when it came to new people that hadn't known her in the past. She expected them to frown up her state of wildness, then letting it reflect back to her home.
"That time seems as if it was only yesterday. A lot has changed since then, though. Not a day has passed since when I returned to this place that I wonder who allies might be, either personal or to the Throat. Are we even allies to the World's Edge anymore, or have our ties with them become swallowed in the darkness?"
Each word is carefully placed as if she believes she will insult the other in the process of releasing them from her lips. The only ally she could remember being important to the Dragon's Throat that she remembered, one led by Kri who seemed to have disappeared into thin air, never to return, was the World's Edge.
Her thoughts part when her recent state of depression came to be brought into the conversation. She frowns almost instantly, wounds still fresh and bothering her in the back of her mind. Penting away the feeling of depression had helped with the idea that she had attacked friends, loved ones, even strangers but the moment it was brought back up, she shook her head to express the sign that was needed to show not much had changed.
"Sacre has helped me a lot. His efforts have gone a long way, but they haven't gotten it all cleared up. The memories haven't returned. I doubt they ever will. I can live without them, it's for the best. He was kind of enough to explain to me that everyone went underground, that at one point, I wandered into the Basin with an attack on my mind and even went as far as to injure and 'infect' another. Someone I don't know named Deodat."
Fast with how she can feel the mood change within her, the subject is shot away as fast as she lets it occur. Blue eyes turn to be casted down, grazing against the now drowning earth beneath them. The storm around them fades away from her for a moment before she becomes curious as of why Africa had Silas lure her this way.
Nosy as she can be, she pulls out her wonders and pokes at her leader's presence with questions maybe best not asked.
"Miss Africa, I don't intend to be nosy, but is there a reason you have called upon me? I am aware that I haven't been about the Dragon's Throat recently and that my lack of time spent towards the better of the herd is not the most that can be offered, but I am hoping that isn't the issue. If it is, I apologize."
She pulls them upwards, meeting the gaze of her sister and for brief moments, admires to the colour of the other's eyes. They seem so much more softer than others that she has come across, more natural while others refuse to fit the body that they're laid. Pondering a compliment on their appearance, she outwardly shakes her head to remove the thought for her head as if it would ruin the talk between the two.

In winter, so voices are like coats - Mosteghanemi
Image Credit

you were angels,

Deceased

100%

The billowy sound of her gentle chortle filled the short pause between the aspiring young Throatling’s sentences. Africa relaxed more swiftly into conversation with Sikeax then she did many of the others who had walked freely in and out of her life. She held not a great many friends close to her heart, and those dearest were less her own gender. It was not by choice though; she had dabbled through the Threshold often looking for the weary and the wayward, opening herself to them both compassionately and inviting them to call the Throat home. Out of the countless faces the one-winged had brought home, those who had not vanished into hungry oblivion earlier had never returned after the darkness- Africa had no idea where they were now. Even the longest-standing members of this family seemed to have disappeared, and it pained Africa to lose them; Midas, Gaucho, Rasta, Silk...

Now with the champagne girl beneath her wing again (so to speak), clinging on to the hope that not all had been lost, a blissful energy began at once to swell through her core.

It was true that those carefree days lolling through blistering summers and still warm winters felt like yesterday, and the pale face nodded beneath its swirling curtain of tan-tipped forelock; fire licking playfully upwards from its midst. She missed the lack of responsibility now that the weight of this land rested squarely upon her shoulders. A pensive sigh slipped between barely parted lips as they offered a tender smile towards the girl, lightning again casting the grim world around them alight. "A lot has changed, and I fear a long road lies ahead of us in this new era." It was an understatement, but Africa had the resolve and desire to drive them on towards a better future. "All allegiances were severed when the herds were poured together into The Sanctuary. We are yet to learn who we can trust now." She paused and a wistful dullness glazed briefly her sandy eyes. "I fear all is still not right with the world."

Africa took no offence to the younger’s queries. She could not blame her, and confusion often overwhelmed her own deliberation. The smile spread warmly through her softly expression when Sikeax continued, answering earnestly the dappled Sultana’s concerned question. She had met Scare once, while returning from duty off shore. The adolescent blue-eyed boy seemed naive, though charming all the while and as the young mare before her explained her own encounter a giddy affection tickled her soul.

The Starry-Eyed remembered not so long ago, the forlorn plea of this horned creature and she had not granted the promise to help restore those memories lost. Disappointed in herself, but impressed that Sikeax had not allowed herself to fold with the pain and grief of her ordeal, Africa shared her remorse. "I’m so sorry for not being the support you needed. It’s a relief to hear though, that you found Sacre, and that he was perhaps some of the help you’d needed. Please forgive me Sikeax." Sensing the gravity of the topic, and noting the downcast shift of the other’s cobalt eyes, she spoke no more about it. She cared so deeply, and resented herself for allowing her own woes to cloud her sensibility.

Quickly the conversation swayed, and the question induced naught but a broad grin to smother the creased lines of worry as they had set right across her slim face. "When we swam together in the lake during Birdsong..." The one-winged began eagerly, "...you spoke of your interest in the healing arts; mentioned that you would like to heal for the Throat." Bright eyes sought connection with Sikeax’s. "Would you accept an apprenticeship for now? Learning the Sun Physician’s technique to earn favour by our Lord, and in turn the magic of the flame also?" She wished the girl success, reward for her loyalty, and it filled her with so much pleasure to be able to offer one so worthy the chance to wield their sacred art. Already Africa had in mind a mentor and a task for them both, should this offer be accepted.

[Ooc: To earn her rank magic, Sikeax would be required to work through some levels of her Tier's Rank Experience LINK and actively attempt if not complete any tasks set by her mentor or the Sultanas]

Africa

Sikeax
The air lurched, taking heavy turns in the strength of the storm when the wind found the will to thrash her loose curls about, slapping her in the face and threatening to rip her, the feathers in her hair, and anything else of the yearling, away in it's power and send them to the unknown. Secretly, she hoped that if it was to take her as if it was warning of doing, that she'd land in the ocean and drown in a way that would fulfill all of her desires.
Ears flickered forward, pressed onwards to the other standing before her, she searched within her heart for some sort of relief she tried to offer as she speaks of the changes of the land. She lacked many chances to see what had changed to home, to see what exactly had changed. Her time had been gathered up in weak limbs and held to tightly, using all of it to fix herself and to wallow in the muck that was spread across her heart. Her companion's smile burst in the lightning that flashed in the pale shade of her eyes.
In a split second, she saw Amara's eyes in place of Africa's, leaving her heart to twist into a knot and her throat to clasp shut. Reality was playing dirty tricks on her.
She tried to reassure herself that was what it exactly was, the single wing on the Pegasus's side a reminder that it wasn't Amara. Amara had two wings, and no bird rested upon her back.
"Uh..... Um....." Mentally, she was scrambling, unassure of what to say. Shaking her head, tossing locks of hair every which way in some sort of desperate attempt to rattle the remaining images from her head, she shut away her gaze. Particles of dust clung to her lashes as if she would give them some sort of hope for survival when the wind threw everything every which way.
"Please ignore my last words, cruel tricks are being played on me."
The words are presented in such a way that she tries to get it out of the other's mind(if it was residing there) and see it as something that was nothing out of the oridinary. She's fast on her feet to regather her thoughts and sweep over the last spoken words of their conversation so that she could give a response.
"If there is anything that I can do to help, either it be personal or for the sake of the herd, don't hesitate to ask.
"There's a little place in my heart that believes we can piece our alliance with the World's Edge together again. The two families were close when I came here, when the night had no end, and I doubt they'd be aggressive if we tried to put things back to the way that they once were."

An apology was exchanged, accepted in a way that Sikeax felt that she could not come to accept it. Her friend had a high status, one that left her with issues and things to do that she couldn't even begin to think over what they may be. The response returned was nothing but a smile and a carefree laugh, having found no harm in the other's inability to help.
"I find no harm in it. You have a lot of things to do and I can understand that. Sacre was more than enough to help shift through the rubble and find what I was looking for. Thank you, though. You were the one to greet me when I came home torn to pieces, and the first to offer help when I needed it the most. That's what matters the most to me."
The offer that comes next is one that surprises her, something she found herself having a hard time trying to grasp. A smile slipped across her face, a steady warmth filling her heart. Such an offer had never been given to her when she was younger, now that she had such a chance at what she had come to the Throat to do, the feeling that she carried the night that her father came with her returned.
She'd came looking for a chance at learning something to make her life out of, instead, she found herself in a home she would consider permanent, a family, and friends. It had no longer become a place that she could reside in for a period of time, it was a place she'd be fine being in till the day death came to take her soul.
"I'm afraid it's no longer than need to learn, which I do wish to, but more of wanting to give back to those who have given me so much in the short amount of time that I've been here. I'd be more than honoured to take an apprenticeship."

In winter, so voices are like coats - Mosteghanemi
Image Credit

you were angels,

Deceased

100%

The deluge was relentless and steady, beating heavily upon Africa’s thin, murky-grey dappled coat and soaking quickly through to chill the warm skin beneath. A light haze of steam fought its way upwards through the rain, lifting off her coat, the sand; the blistering world which was their home.

Perhaps it was the rain distracting her thoughts, her comfort. A soothing smile slipped across her thin, dark lips as Sikeax began to fumble for words, and the one-winged strained to comprehend the chaos of unstructured thoughts as they began unsuccessfully to splutter into their wet surroundings, "Uh..... Um.....". The paler’s skull tossed and turned as though trying to shake away a memory, and finally she composed herself long enough to say, “ Please ignore my last words, cruel tricks are being played on me.” The Starry-Eyed shrugged calmly, and the stream of water etching a path down along the ridge of her shoulder jerked irritably. She was a creature of patience and virtue, quickly disregarding the mistake as necessary. Naturally she was concerned about the strange hurt which had all but possessed Sikeax’s sky-blue eyes, but remembering the way the other had turned away, cast down her vulnerable gaze, the empathetic mare held her tongue.

She’d been there so many times before.

The Unicorn went on to suggest a reunion of sorts with World’s Edge, to reforge the alliance which had been let to dissolve in recent times. Who led them now? The Dragon Heart? That was the last name she remembered who’d wielded any sort of power there. Africa nodded, smiling vaguely, considering... "A valid idea, sister." She answered quietly thereafter, though she couldn’t imagine presenting by the glass gateway empty-handed. Perhaps they could offer a gift, a token of good will. Herbs? The grey’s nostrils rattled loudly, impressed with the idea. It could wait though, there was more pressing matters to tend to yet.

After her own apology had been most graciously accepted, Africa brought forth eagerly the proposal of Sikeax’s apprenticeship. She could see right away that the younger horse, a girl forced to grow up too soon it seemed, thought well of the offer. A sheer smile spread through the champagne one’s pretty expression, illuminating her face. It was quite contagious. Soft pastel eyes fluttered with expanding delight when the other accepted, pledging her service for the greater good of the herd. It was the aspiring hearts, willing and generous like that of the mare standing before the Starry-Eyed, that would set the firmest of foundations for Dragon’s Throat to mature upon. "Let it be so then!" she beamed, defying the miserable storm as it grumbled resentfully above them, "Andromeda our Sun Physician will teach you well.

Seek her out over the days to come. The task I set both of you now is to find some herbs that grow only through this oasis. Harvest them, roots and all so they might live on...
(already Silas had cut loose the satchel by Africa’s elbow. Between the artful clasp of his hooked beak, the zephyr carried it through the rain and began to fasten it just below Sikeax’s elbow) ...Take them to World’s Edge in this bag and present them to their leaders, to the one called Resplendence who is rumored to heal with herbs. I have seen the garden she tends with many different kinds. Complete this before Orangemoon browns the forests of Helovia please, and return with their response." Africa fell silent, nodding appreciatively as though to conclude her turn.

[Ooc: @[Andromeda], you don’t have to reply to this thread. The last couple of paragraphs apply to you too though ;) ]

Africa

@[Sikeax]