the Rift

[OPEN] There's Always a Reason

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

The dove had been through a lot in her relatively short life, and for too long she had allowed her emotions to drive her actions. She had ruled her life with a weak heart, falling through the sky on melted wings after flying too close to the sun, plummeting farther and farther from the light in favor of taking the easy way out and succumbing to the darkness.

But things change. Life goes on.

And so it goes, ever forward and ever upward, the world continuously spinning onward without the slightest care, despite any one individual's universe coming to a complete halt, falling apart, going to pieces with no hope of reassembling into anything making the slightest bit of sense. And so her world had kept on turning, even after she was sure that nothing would ever be the same again.

Change is natural, and it's not always bad. Indeed, her life had taken a turn for the better. She had wondered, naturally, had been skeptical of not only her abilities but her place in the world without the definition of "so-and-so's mate," but she had been pleasantly surprised by the former and more than happy to shed the latter. Now she stood proudly on her own four hooves, known for only her own skills, her own wants, her own goals. Never again would she allow herself to fall prey to someone else's whims.

And she would protect those who couldn't say the same.

She wanted to do more. She wanted to be more. There were so many wrongs in this land - no, in this world - and though she knew she could not hope to right them all, she found herself with a newfound determination to do all that she could, she had been too selfish for too long. No more. It was time to step up, to prove her worth, to be the leader that she had become. It was time to grow up. And, for once, she thought she knew the path she needed to take.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
The Mother of Companions had not been seen for weeks- practically the whole of Birdsong, and it was with an apprehensive heart that Africa conceded the rash blue creature was unlikely then to return. Bemusedly she quelled the feeling of relief as it leaked intoxicatingly into her bloodstream; neither had been given a choice as to who would lead the Throat at their side and she'd never thought them well matched. She wondered fretfully what the God of the Sun would think of the events transpired, of the discouragingly slow growth of his herd and suspicious activity like that which had been brought into the open crudely by Ampere, about theft and deceit. Regardless of this, the one-winged mare was working studiously to stir activity through the midst of the herd, and watching all the while those who passed across the border. It was a struggle she could not manage on her own.

She needed to clear her mind; she needed guidance.

The time to call together the herd was again growing close. Much of Dragon’s Throat had been transformed already, it appeared to be more or less a clean slate- cleansed of all which Kri had imparted, and that of Gaucho the Wildfire and Midas the Gallant who had followed in the Resolute's footsteps. Though their legends would be whispered by generations to come, the boldness of their militaristic age had waned; and in their wake stepped new light and vigour, a scholarly cleverness where once only might and power had reigned supreme. Africa thought of Sohalia- wise, motivated, and a long standing follower of this land. They appeared to have much in common, though that might also have had the potential to leave a considerable gap in the defence of the land. Already though, the one-winged had vowed to work with the army, to better her skills and strive to lead them confidently should wickedness assault their border. She had some experience thanks to Midas (to her past), and she would draw from those pools to succeed.

Soft footfalls ventured inland, the lush emerald of the oasis rippling in the distance. The time to call together the followers of warmth and light was approaching quickly, and they would need to stand united, have to have a plan; guided always by the Sun.

The day was hot, the desert dry, and the only breath of wind spilt down from the north thick with the pungent stench of sea salt. Africa was glad to be back beneath the dappled shade of palm ribbons and pink speckled mimosa’s. Her sweat stained pelt seemed to cool instantly when finally the weight of the sun was lost, and her skull lifted with new buoyancy and eagerness. She had not seen the pale dove or her young Wakiya for a few days, and despite the gravity of the proposal in mind, the grey was truly looking forward to this next reunion. Flies bothered relentlessly about her fluttering nostrils, unfazed by the swing of her skull or sweep of long oil-slick hair as it danced beneath flame to the rhythm of her movement. Nearing the lake, the Throat; the epicentre of their universe, Africa began to search more thoroughly, for any flash of white or scent which might quickly reveal Sohalia’s location.

[Ooc: I wasn't sure if she knew she was going to be Sultana already, or if you wanted to play it out IC, before a meeting with the herd and the Sun God. It would be cool to announce all new positions, with the Sun God's blessing at once to make everything official! I can change anything you like.]

Sohalia

The day droned on, ever warmer and ever drier, the harsh desert landscape leaving its inhabitants perpetually parched. It would be easy to get lost here, tricked by the heat into a false oasis, lulled into a faux bliss by the apparition of emerald green on the horizon, doomed to wander endlessly through the searing dunes of the sandy wasteland. But where there was danger, there was also beauty, if only one knew where to look. Despite the flies that were forever present around the refreshing summer humidity of the watering hole - and it was indeed noticeably more moist in the shade around the lake - the speckled sunlight piercing the leaves of the palms and the gorgeous, if sparse, colors of the desert flowers made the small herd area almost ethereal at times. The water was mesmerizing, the constant light of the sun shimmering on the surface in an intricate dance of light and dark, white and blue, in and on and around one another. If one could find this haven, one could find happiness even in this brutal territory; if not, one could easily perish in the sand.

The dove had settled herself rather happily beneath the shade of a particularly dense copse of palms, enjoying the coolness that the shade had to offer. For what was not the first time, she was grateful for possessing a light colored pelt, for it helped to reflect rather than absorb the sun's rays. Astraeus, unbothered by the heat or the light, perched in the tree above her, acting as a lookout while keeping her company through the bond. It had been quite a while since she had felt lonely, what with all that had had to be done in the Dragon's Throat since the herd's return, and so today she merely rested from what felt like a relentless onslaught of information. She had tried to meet more of her brethren in her determination to get to know her herd mates, and she had spent some time attempting to complete the Wall. Unfortunately, she was not any further in either goal than she had been before the darkness. She was determined not to let that keep her from trying.

What she had gathered however, was how very different things were now. Her own opinions and goals had solidified, leaving her with a newfound sense of purpose that made the lack thereof among her herdmates very obvious. She couldn't blame them, of course, not when they had lost so much familiarity. Neither of the leaders from before the darkness had even been seen, and they had not been in power for so very long themselves. Leadership had been left with Africa and Ampere, of whom she had the utmost faith in the former and absolutely none in the latter. Of course, the Mother of Companions hadn't been seen in quite a while, so they had been relying on only Africa. The angel respected her Sultana and the peaceful ways that she embodied, but the fear of attack from the other herds, with whom they had no current ties, was very real. Of course, she wouldn't be much help in that regard; she intended to train with the warriors, but as yet, she hadn't quite found the time, and her military training was lacking, to say the least.

Astraeus called a greeting, or a warning, or perhaps a bit of both, and swooped from his perch as his bonded stepped out from beneath the trees. Her gaze fell on the familiar, lopsided form of Africa, and a genuine smile lit her features. She was always happy to see her old friend, even if they had never had the chance to grow as close as they might have once upon a time. "Africa," she called in greeting, pricking her auds forward and taking another step to ensure notice. Astraeus trilled his own greeting, having properly recognized the Sultana. "I do hope you are well, Sultana."

((OOC | sounds great! I wanted to have the rank change all played out ICly, so this works out perfectly!))

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
The soft, sand-choked soil of the oasis cushioned Africa’s weary stride as she made her way along a narrow track leading ever deeper between the motionless palms, and their late-blooming neighbours. The inviting glimmer of sunlight stroking the cool blue of the water winked cheekily through the lush greenery, guiding her towards the very centre of her home; promising to wash the bitter tang of salt and dust from her tongue.

A slack smile pulled at the wrinkled grey corners of her mouth, fondness for this, their paradise clouding her thoughts momentarily. There was not the need for strained concentration now, not while she lingered in the secluded depths of their arid territory; she felt an overwhelming security, though the feeling was short lived as she clambered down the weak embankment to drink. Scattered by the lake were the bodies she had sworn to serve and protect, and thus far under her rule, the one-winged had failed her duty to them. Still the wall lay in pieces (most lost well beneath churning waves), and few soldiers were available to guard the northern gate back into Helovia.

Africa sighed heavily and went to dip her chin to the water.

Suddenly though, the sharp voice of an avian pierced the tranquillity of the area, and the dappled mare’s face climbed quickly once more. Confused (because it did not sound quite right to be her bonded), long grey ears swivelled ahead of her searching eyes, but already the pale dove who had for some time occupied her mind, was stepping from the thicket nearby. Her pallid expression softened instantly, a smile rising throughout, and she turned to welcome her friend and herd-sister closer. Her skull bounced in greeting to the young zephyr as he too passed into view. "Sohalia!" She replied cheerfully, "I’m as well as can be. Yourself?" Already her velvety nose was reaching affectionately, a gesture no longer offered so freely since the great misunderstanding between she and Windwalker.

The grey paused long enough for Sohalia to respond, but an excitement was building quickly through her core, their meeting only fuelling her determination. "We must talk friend. Ampere hasn’t been seen for nearly the whole of Birdsong and I fear she will not now return." Gentle eyes betrayed her concern, though still she could not help but be relieved- even in the short space of their time as Sultanas together, both the Mother of Companions and the Starry-Eyed had clashed ferociously. The blue mare’s ideals had been fascinating indeed, but Africa had found they just simply could not relate on an emotional level. "Another needs to take her place as you know."

Though her warmth did not fade, the smile dressing her lovely feminine features began to weaken. "You have served this land and our herd well, perhaps longer than I. Would you step up now, to lead with me?" Naturally they would seek together their beloved lord’s blessing, but for the moment Africa could only pray for Sohalia’s favour. It was a mammoth task to adopt, and she could not be sure it would be received well. She shifted nervously, finding little need to disguise such and keep it from the white dove.

Sohalia

The dove immediately regretted calling out so callously, for she realized as soon as the greeting left her maw that she had interrupted the Sultana's tranquility. Still, it was too late to retract the call, and as soon as Africa's confusion turned to joy, the angel's shame vanished into thin air. Astraeus, already wise beyond his age, harrumphed softly, as though to chide her for her silly shyness. His claws dug softly into the flesh of her withers, though he did not grip nearly hard enough to break the tender skin there. It was a perch, and one that was as good as any other point on her petite body, and she had grown used to the mild prick of his talons.

The grey eagerly returned the other mare's gesture of greeting, relieved to be in good company after some time spent alone. For one who had clung to loneliness, she had grown to crave the companionship of those fortunate few who could call themselves her friend, and she now counted each moment alone a waste. How could she have enjoyed life before the Dragon's Throat? Every day, she counted her blessings and thanked the gods that Rowan had seen fit to bring her here. Every day, she wished Rowan would return. Things had been so simple back then, so easy, so uncomplicated - but now, everything had changed. She had changed.

But, "I am well, thank you," was all that she said in return to Africa's inquiry, offering but a soft smile in place of a sad, distant retrospection. There was but a moment before the Starry-Eyed began to speak in earnest, and the dove listened politely, her eyes growing round with first confusion and then surprise. She had, of course, noticed Ampere's absence - how could they not? After all, the blue was quite... loud. Yes, that was a perfect word. The Mother of Companions had been opinionated and unabashed in her views. It was a trait that the dove both revered and despised. But then, almost overnight, she had vanished.

And now, Africa wanted Sohalia to take Ampere's place.

"I - oh - oh, Africa, I'm honored, of course, but..." she hesitated, dismay showing clearly on her pretty features. "I - are you certain that I'm the right one for this? I can't fight, I've never been a leader of anything before, and gods know I never wanted to - I mean, of course I'll do it, it's not that I don't want it, it's just I never expected -" she cut herself off suddenly, forcing a deep breath, calming racing thoughts and a blank mind. "I shall try again," she said with a smile. "I would be honored to stand beside you, Africa, but are you quite sure that I'm the right one for it? I'm afraid I haven't much to offer other than the loyalty of which you have spoken."

She had never asked for leadership, and yet... She found herself thinking ahead, making plans, finding ways that she could, in fact, be useful as more than just a pretty face. If the God would grant her favor - and, knowing their patron god, that was rather a large 'if' - and if Africa did not retract her offer, then she would gladly rise to the throne. And she would use it, as well as she could, for the creation of a better world. Of a peaceful world. Or, at the very least, she would try her very hardest to do so. "If you'll have me, I'll do it," she confirmed, joy and determination rising in her eyes.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
The Throat’s cool fluid seeped gradually into the empty pit of Africa’s stomach. It didn't alleviate the aching thirst, or the rasping in her parched throat, but she was well used to the feeling, and continued on with little heed. If not for the oasis; their ultimate lifeblood, there could be no way for the herd to survive such a brutal environment. She respected it enormously, and praised the God of the Sun often for providing for his followers so generously. Theology was a concept so important to the dappled mare, and that fidelity towards their patron, gleamed furiously as the fire she’d wished for, solely for the purpose of pleasing him (of shifting his half-satisfied feeling towards her mundane existence, into something a little more contented). Of course, that yearning had been during her time as the herd’s Diviner- now that desperation to gratify had been quickly amplified to possibly unobtainable proportions.

Africa knew not what to think of the snow-washed mare’s initial reaction. Even as she was speaking, the Starry-Eyed could see beneath the veil of clean forelock, the broadening of two-toned eyes, shock quite apparent within them. Her weight shifted across limbs fidgeting as she watched, lustrous gold dragons glistening as the warmth of her fiery forelock was captured. At first Sohalia seemed to hesitate, and dismay flooded her pale feminine face. A bubble caught in the base of the dappled’s throat, but she swallowed hard and tried earnestly to smile encouragingly.

She too had felt the ache of uncertainty, and could relate unreservedly when her sister went on to question herself, her ability and her suitability for the role. Unfortunately though, Africa had no answers to offer. She wasn’t confident at all, that any decision she'd made recently had been enough to please their God. She was desperate to find someone with common goals and interests (not quite so overbearing as the mother of Companions was), to further build Dragon’s Throat with- to strive towards a new form of glory. Sohalia she was sure, would be just the right person.

There was a sharp pause, and Africa drew a deep breath to hold onto.

The white dove also took a breath, smiled, and the one-winged returned the gesture feebly. Warmth and reassurance did leak again into her own apprehensive expression however when the other began again, explaining more placidly her reservations. "Between you, I and the sand sister, I feel no more suited to such responsibility and example than it appears you do." She paused, offering her nose forward comfortingly. "We must trust in the God of the Sun though, to guide us and give us courage. I am sure I have not come to this decision on my own accord- that is not to say you wouldn’t have found your place now as Sultana anyway. I feel you to be far more deserving than myself." She did feel like a fish out of water, but laughed lightly, trying to alleviate the gravity of the mood. At that point her sister accepted and a combination of tingling excitement and sheer relief spread through her.

"I truly look forward to working with you." Delightedly she smiled, all at once feeling tightness beneath her coat dissolve. "We must call together the herd before the fire of the Diviner and pray to our Lord, to tell him our news! I fear I have been slack in Ampere’s absence and have not formally announced our ranks to him or our brethren. What are your thoughts on those now? It would be best to shuffle before any meeting, don't you think?" She was sure both Sohalia and herself wanted only the best for their family, and her heart felt all the more peaceful with their now joint commitment.

Sohalia

And just like that, it was done. I am a Sultana of the Dragon's Throat.

The dove received Africa's reassurance in a daze, brushing her muzzle against her friend's and drawing comfort from the gesture. Africa, unsuited to the task of leadership? On the contrary, the one-winged mare had been a breath of fresh air, bringing peace and worship to their war-mangled herd. "I'm hardly any more deserving than you, sister," she protested. "Why, the God of the Sun chose you." There was awe in her vocals. "As you yourself said - we must trust in His guidance. Why would He choose you if you were not able to lead? And even without that - the herd trusts you. I trust you. It's... peaceful, with you as our Sultana." She returned Africa's smile with a genuine, excited grin of her own. The Starry-Eyed believed in her, trusted her, wanted her as Sultana; that knowledge alone was enough to calm her nerves considerably.

When the questions started, she was overwhelmed, but not too much so - it was pleasant to be consulted, to have her opinion heard. For the first time, she wondered if she wouldn't enjoy being a leader. She had spent so long in solitude, and then as a faithful servant to her herd, her family - never had she longed for this role, never had she dreamed to rise so high. Now, though... now that she had ascended, she wondered, hoped, prayed that she would do it justice; that she would be all that a leader of the Dragon's Throat should be; that she could make a difference in this world through example, through new ideas, through her guidance. "It has been a long time since a gathering," she agreed absently, turning new thoughts and old over in her mind.

"I believe in some of the changes that we made before the darkness - recognizing and worshiping our Lord, for one. But Ampere had some... unique ideas - not that they were bad, but... well, I'm not sure I agreed with her views on companions. I would rather champion them than discourage them, particularly since having found my own." She frowned slightly. The Mother of Companions had always struck her as odd, but she had been Sultana, and the dove would not speak against her leaders. If nothing else, she was certainly loyal. In any case, the blue was gone now, and Sohalia had taken her place. "And as far as rankings... well..." she paused. "I will need to be replaced as Forger. I didn't have any apprentices, though, so I'm not sure to whom that duty should fall. I'm afraid I am not as up-to-date on my brethren as I should be, though, so for the rest, I defer to you." The admission was accompanied by a sheepish smile.

[OOC | Would now be a good time to mention the whole academy idea? I don't want to shove changes in, but since Africa asked and we need to have a meeting anyway... xD]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
A light chuckling mixture of surprise and relief burst from her lungs at the mention of the Mother of Companion’s farfetched and overzealous theories on companionship- a little louder than she’d expected it to... "Ah ha! Didn’t I feel the hypocrite agreeing to harbour the idea..." Brightly she smiled, feeling far more at ease by the side of Sohalia and the common ground they very obviously shared, then ever she had next to Ampere. There were no fraying nerves and no eggshells to teeter across. She felt so relaxed, so comfortable- even despite the accountability weighing upon them. Africa had known Sohalia much longer than the brief, fraught relationship deemed necessary, with the blue mare. Enthusiastically the dappled mare found herself nodding, very much more inspired than she had been before seeking out her white sister.

"Perhaps, in honour of Ampere’s reign... (she meant nothing maliciously, but chortled softly; thankfully) ...we could champion them instead, like you say.” Fond eyes wander upwards to look for Silas who still wafted nearby, quite disinterestedly. They are not chained like slaves to us, she thought pensively, recalling the broiling passion behind Ampere’s very unrelenting accusation- so unwilling to meet the perspective of any bound soul.

Long live freedom...

Africa thought silently for a moment after Sohalia had spoken finally of the ranks. "Andromeda has been working. She has been seen on patrol with ranked soldiers, and I have set a task for her to travel with herbs from our oasis to World’s Edge as a gift and token of our goodwill. There is a mare there who tends a garden, and uses her produce to heal." Africa had suggested the young apprentice Sikeax follow along, but if she could not, the Starry-Eyed would go instead. "I see her fit to hold her role as Sun Physician. Tandavi, I have not seen... at all." She thought about Cera then, who she thought tenderly as the very embodiment of Dragon’s Throat. He spoke passionately always of their home, and was perhaps stronger still than she, as a follower of the Sun. "Cera should remain our Diviner, and the young boy Sacre shows promise as our Sleuth." He too had been on patrol; and many among them had spoken of his support and activity. There seemed little reason to move him from his place.

The forger would perhaps require a little more consideration; like the new Sultana had mentioned, there had been no apprentice trained in the fine art of metal bending; too few numbers also to place one at the time. Her nostrils rattled softly as she sighed. Still their followers were small. "We should encourage recruiting somehow..." she remarked randomly, lost to the thought. Refocusing promptly, Africa smiled, finding the pretty gaze of her friend as motivation. "Our God will know who’s best suited to rebuild your... our wall. Let’s leave that choice in his hooves?" He was wise beyond their mortal comprehension, all-knowing, all-seeing. Had not Africa been set to serve both Him and the herd as Diviner many suns ago? She felt content relinquishing such a crucial appointment- actually, the meek one-winged wished she could hand their choice of Gladiator over as well.

The smile faded quickly, and her modest features were overwhelmed with dismay. Ampere had pulled together an unsuccessful tournament to determine the most suitable candidate to head the Throat’s army- she squirmed at the thought. "A Gladiator should be chosen quickly too." Waves of guilt began to surge through her core and Africa shifted uncomfortably. "Without one our home is so vulnerable." She thought of Dalibor first, who had been active since their return from the caves- more so than any other; and of Hector who patrolled regularly on his own accord. There were a couple of others, but the dappled mare couldn’t readily recall seeing them, relying more on rumour of their attendance, not so recently. "I feel so uncomfortable about it," she admitted swallowing hard, "How might you choose someone dependable enough to lead troops through war?" Waiting eyes glinted as the sun pierced the shade, a warm breeze rustling the leafy canopy above. Curiously they watched Sohalia, not certain that someone so pristine to look at might know the answer.

[Ooc: Go for it. Might as well get as much covered as we can :D]

Sohalia

The angel had always been a loner, had always exulted in solitude and silence; but now she found a great deal of happiness generated by the sharing of ideals with another, a good bit of excitement in true camaraderie. For so long, she had stayed on the outskirts of the herd (both literally and figuratively), remaining free of the politics but still managing to contribute to those whom she had come to regard as her family. Her wall, her greatest glory and her harshest downfall, had been her solace, her partner, her life - and yet, so easily it had crumbled when the onslaught of darkness had taken its hold. Perhaps it had given her a new perspective, that loss; it was not, after all, the material things that she made in this life that would be her most prized accomplishments. It would be the relationships she built, the lives she changed - and oh, what a position she was in to realize those dreams now!

The pair quickly reached an agreement regarding companions, not a surprising arrangement since neither of them had shared Ampere's passion on the subject. When the dove and the blue had first met, Sohalia had not yet found Astraeus - but even so, she found the Mother of Companion's view perplexing. She had known others with companions, had seen the depth of the soul-bond - how had Ampere been so blind to the reality of it all? How could she have come to be so misled? Even the angel, with her pretty ideas of peace and equality, could not agree that companions were mistreated or kept captive by their equine partners. Were there others out there who would misuse their companions? Was that what had made Ampere so angry?

She supposed she would never know, and it hardly mattered anymore.

"I know them all, and I approve. Andromeda, Cera, and Sacre have all been very helpful." There wasn't much more to say on the subject, really. Those positions, once pointed out to her, were easy to grant. "I wonder where Tandavi has been? I saw her once, just outside the caves, but not since." It was possible that the dove had simply missed the younger mare, spending so much time at the land's borders; a slight frown creased her brow with worry for the girl. But there was little more she had to say, for she could only muse at Tandavi's whereabouts and it didn't seem particularly helpful. They had other business to discuss. She could seek Tandavi out later. "As for the Forger, I would have our God's opinion. I fear that my craft was not as popular as some of our other ranks."

She paused then as she considered their largest dilemma: neither she nor Africa were particularly suited for combat. She felt a sharp pang in her chest as she realized that she missed Gaucho and the easy, if a little barbaric, reassurance he had always provided her. But it was no use pining over a stallion that she had never really been able to call her own, particularly not when he had been absent for seasons. She sighed. "How about a competition of some kind? I haven't the slightest idea how to build an army, but it stands to reason that some of our warriors would have the skills. We could enlist help from someone from another herd, to judge? Do we know anyone that we can trust to help us? We could test strategy, combat, and anything else that I'm missing," she finished with an embarrassed chuckle. "I will learn to fight soon, but at the moment I am terribly inexperienced."

[OOC | Oh goodness, sorry about the wait, love. Crazy life!
I'll PM you more about the idea I just suggested for a Gladiator competition. I'll also bring up the school idea somewhere, when it becomes a natural continuation of the conversation. xD]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
A competition!

Africa’s gentle face ignited with enthusiasm. She was an ambitious soul who had always worked steadily forwards- even when she’d not had any true goals to aim for. The God of the Sun had looked kindly upon her spirit on two occasions already though, and positioned her according to his will alone (though she would always remember the rather unconvinced quirk in his regal, golden expression as he cast an eye over her outward appearance). The idea that candidates would need to compete to earn the highest military honour and rank was an exciting one, and sandy eyes sparkled as she nodded quickly in response. It seemed like the best possible way for the peaceable Sultana’s to find someone with skill enough to lead the army- and the quickest.

"I really like that idea." She answered, already considering which aspects of a Gladiator might be the most important. Easily being able to fight and win seemed like the obvious choice; but like any other rank or responsibility, she presumed vaguely that there would need to be a deeper understanding. "We should defiantly challenge their fighting ability," she agreed logically (obviously), not meaning any offence at all as she continued on with Sohalia’s brainwave. "...perhaps leadership skills too somehow?" Prowess, strategy, leadership... Her nose screwed up inelegantly as she turned her obvious concentration towards the wiry grass tussocks clumped by her hooves. The white mare mentioned her inexperience through a self-conscious giggle and Africa joined her, fluttering her lonely wing as she agreed, "Look how far my experience got me..."

'Practice?'

She lifted her face to glance upwards as the unexpected presence of Silas flooded her thoughts. "Oh yeah... thanks." she muttered scornfully, playfully in return, but as the surprise and immediate ridiculousness of his suggestion wore off, Africa wondered if it was such a terrible idea.

Eyes found their way back to the pretty, soft features of her sister, her friend. "I wish Midas was here..." she mumbled thoughtfully, suddenly feeling the ache of loss, the hole left by his disappearance. "Or Gaucho…" The Starry-Eyed stiffened her jaw then, mind wandering back to the rule of the Resolute who managed Dragon’s Throat (from Africa’s rose-coloured perspective), perfectly. Where was Kri now? It was still a mystery. "Err (another embarrassment), we’ve not yet made any contact with our neighbours- since the darkness. I don't know anyone who I would trust enough to help us," Africa said, returning to the present with a jolt, guilt riddling her voice and a remarkably disappointed frown betraying that feeling- it might have seemed unfortunately, like she and Ampere had achieved nothing. zilch. The dapple grey sighed deeply. The Throat was so vulnerable, and Africa felt the sting of her apparent oblivion.

That was all changing now.

"Anyway, a competition is a fine idea. After the meeting (or before), we can send scouts out to investigate the herds and who heads them now. I do know after a most convenient conversation in the meadow, that Deimos and Illynx rule the Basin, and that they have a machine guarding the mountain passage to their home. It lets only their horned kind through..." Hooves shuffled beneath groaning knees as she tried to turn the discussion to something fresher- the army, war... it was just so draining. "I’m not sure the old proud, fierce reputation suits our home now, you know. I don’t really like war, violence. It would be nice to be known for something grander, different." Strength was important, but there was no reason for them to try in vain to uphold reputations of the past. They were a new era, and Africa didn’t want the burden of filling shoes far bigger than her own, meagre, ones.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

From up on high where the two mares chatted, a figure circled above. It rose so far on the warm thermals of the desert winds that it would appear as little more than a dark shape against the sky. It was unmistakably a bird however, easy to identify with its casual grace among the clouds and the effortless pattern it drew as it wheeled in circles around the columns of air.

With a keen eye it watched for signs of life among the red sands below. The two hoofed leaders were quickly dismissed, knowing they would not provide a meal with their girth and expecting they posed no threat based on previous experiences with their kind. They were little more than ornaments of the landscape to the aerial king.

Another figure drew his attention though. Not far from the horses a snake slithered out to sun itself. The hawk's eyes blinked and spun as he caught the delicate fall of the sand as scales pushed through it. He screamed once, the sound mostly consumed by the wind, and then he dropped.

His wings pressed closer to his sides and his beak angled towards the ground, splitting the air as it rushed around him with increasing fervor. His talons clutched anxiously around the metal band he'd plucked up in his travels. It was a most curious thing, woven in shapes he could not decipher, but the shine had allured him, despite it quickly proving to be inedible. He'd held onto it, just in case he didn't find anything better to bring back to the nest.

The hawk was not so direct in his descent as to dive the whole way. He dropped his latitude rapidly, but broke off into another round of circling, low now, so that his shadow hurried below him, passing over the mares from time to time. All the while he watched, and waited, until finally the snake drew far enough from the rocks that he could safely strike.

Silent now, the hawk dove, his talons extending in tandem with his wings. The crown of golden dragons entwined with one another went sailing out of his grasp, but the hawk remained a king all the same, his own form of a golden dragon held beneath him. Sand rose like a spray around him as he took to the skies once more, a limp line clutched in his grip. Dinner was worth a lot more to him than a bauble.

The shining circlet rolled in the sand, coming to rest at Sohalia's hooves, matching the one Africa wore, matching one once given to a mare marked blue and black.

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Sohalia

The dove held her breath as she waited for the Starry-Eyed to react to her suggestion, and when her friend offered approval, the rush of air accompanied with a certain relieved giddiness surprised her. She studied the excitement that lit up her fellow Sultana's face and felt her own grin appear in turn. The idea for a competition had seemed most logical, and she was glad to know that Africa shared her opinion, that between the two of them, there was no need to parade around as though they knew what they were doing - especially in the military department.

"Oh, I didn't think of that!" she replied brightly to Africa's suggestion that they test leadership. "But I certainly agree!" She giggled then, as though the pair of them were sharing childish secrets and creating elaborate plans; somewhere deep down, she knew that there was more at stake than that, that they would have to take this seriously, but oh, how wonderful it was to trust again, to have something to look forward to, to place her energy into, to believe in. "We could practice together," she offered then, her gaze drawn to Africa's sole wing before she awkwardly diverted her attention, not wanting to be caught staring, hoping that her look was not taken to be accusatory or disgusted. If anything, Africa's predicament left her with nothing but anger and sadness. She simply could not understand the view of those in the world that thought they were so much better than others that they could literally tear Africa apart for it. There was no sense to it, no need for it, and she would not stand for it.

If given the chance, she would fight against it.

Of course, she would need to know how to fight, first.

The mention of Gaucho made her stiffen, unaccustomed to hearing his name and feeling the pain that it brought her. After all this time, she had tried to trick herself into imagining that she didn't need him, didn't want him, didn't miss him... but it was just a sad joke she played on herself, setting herself up for misery time and time again. "I wish they were, too. It was all so much easier back then, wasn't it?" she asked sadly, lost for a moment in her own reminiscing. But then she forced a smile, bit back the hurt and the anger and the anguish, because what good would it do, anyway? And the talk turned to scouts and scouting, and meeting their neighbors, and she was able to tuck away her personal problems, her hidden longing, pushing and shoving and tucking them away, deep down into the recesses of her mind, hoping that they would become lost in the maze of her thoughts, never to resurface.

"It seems too quiet now," she said thoughtfully, gazing toward the sky and watching the clouds pass by. "Before the darkness, there was always... more, wasn't there? Both within the herd and without. But... now..." She fell silent, listening to the description of the Basin, trying and failing to visualize such a creation in her mind's eye. If it only lets unicorns in, how does it keep us out? Concern flooded her suddenly, for she could not trust the unicorns of the north, and Astraeus offered a comforting croon from his perch upon her withers. He was right, of course - there was no use obsessing over a herd that may not even be interested in them anymore. "I would feel so much better if we knew more about the other herds. Are they the same, or have the restructured? What do they want now? Are they peaceful? I pray that our scouts can bring us answers." Her worry creased her brow as she frowned, her thoughts occupied by their herd's vulnerability.

"Wouldn't it all be easier if everyone just agreed to play nice?" she agreed with a laugh as Africa brought up another of the angel's concerns. With the pair of them as leaders, it was expecting too much for them to retain the brute strength that the Dragon's Throat had been known for. She had always wanted to promote peace and equality, and now that she found herself in a position to do so, she was eager to present a new idea. "But, actually, I had been thinking..." she trailed off uncertainly, hesitant to voice her opinion. "Well, for a while, I'd been thinking about ways to promote peace and equality, and I thought maybe we could start a, um, school?" Her voice grew stronger as she explained her concept, speaking of the ways in which they could help Helovia's youth to grow, to worship, to coincide. "What do you think?" she asked finally, breathless with anticipation.

A piercing scream interrupted; the dove's eyes flew to the skies, and she watched as a hawk circled above. There was something so graceful about his movements, his descent, the way he stalked his prey - and she found herself jealous of the ease with which he moved through the skies. Suddenly, the hawk dropped from above onto its next meal in the nearby sand, surprising the ivory mare. Something golden and hard fell from his grasp, careening through the sand to land at her feet. She blinked, staring at the intricate metalwork woven into dragons, and then looked at the hawk flying off into the distance. A short laugh fell from her lips as Astraeus took flight, picking up the circlet and depositing it on her head. The crown felt heavy and foreign, but it fit her well, without threatening to fall. "Well, then," she said in a voice full of awe. "I suppose your decision to ask me to stand beside you is supported."

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
"What... now?" The dappled mare stammered, excited by the prospect of sparring again, but equally terrified of her inability, and deterred by her want not to hurt Sohalia (or be maimed herself). Above Silas cried, eager, enthusiastic- he enjoyed the arts of combat, the challenge and exhilaration, but Africa did not; she found absolutely no thrill in violence, at all. She could feel her coat prickling, hot adrenaline flushing through the blood in her veins, and shifted on the spot, neat tan hooves to the front grinding through the loose sandy loam. It was a necessity that they learn- perhaps it would make the journey of self-defence more enjoyable if they embarked on it (to start with at least) together.

Their conversation wandered between times of old, and back again to the present; to matters which would undoubtedly pave the future of their grand home, thoughts of alliance and those she wished one day to bring down upon their knees. Africa would never forget the words of the God of the Sun- his request that she return to him when she was ready to exact vengeance. That time was nearing it seemed, but she had not the heart to figure such punishment without prompt. Nevertheless, Sohalia moved the topic beyond the humming of her memories and the dappled mare nodded, equally concerned and interested to learn answers to all the questions she posed. "Pray we soon find more scouts to send... " she murmured quietly, trying to chuckle away the grimness in the final breath.

Still they stood together... Africa mentioned the reputation installed by the fiercest warrior of them all (or so Africa firmly believed), Kri, and Sohalia presented a new idea; a school, or academy- something which was not directly fed by war and preparing exclusively for it. Cheerfully the grey beamed. "How fantastic!" she exclaimed, drawing from those lingering nearby a sudden flicker of attention. It was though, and she listened with still more focus and deliberation than any subject brought up before as the concept was explained. "I think a school sounds splendid. A solid foundation to build the herd upon," the Starry-Eyed grinned on, completely taken by the idea, "What a wonderful gift your mind is to our friends here, and family. The way you think, it’s... very precious," she insisted, brushing her smile near to the warm body of her sister. "Tell me more, please. Will we offer an education to the curious hearts of all Helovia, or this nation alone?"

She could see the anticipation formed into the lines of the other mare’s feminine features, and made no effort to hide her own enthusiasm as it bubbled forth across her face.

Africa had thought little of the shadow that passed occasionally across her body as she stood content in the company of the white coated mare, bathed partly in dappled shade. She knew somewhere above them Silas was wandering heaven’s highways at liberty, and passed the presence off as him; his body passing each time between them and the sun. Predators of the sky too were not uncommon in the desert, their cry a welcome reminder to serpents and vermin to hide; and though often the Starry-Eyed’s dreamy gaze wandered up towards the world to which she was no longer entitled, it was not often startled by what it saw- certainly not by the familiar comfort of a hawk (his talons and their treasure still clear of her view).

As Sohalia’s one blue and one brown eyes skipped upwards towards the native’s sudden scream, Africa’s gaze followed automatically. It was not until the hunter’s streaking, feathered bodice slipped into that margin of her line of sight that she became truly aware of him, of his majestic presence; of the snake that had slithered from its rock-cover to warm its cold blood in the heat of the Tallsun day. The hawk dove with such precision and skill that the watcher’s breath snagged in her throat; it was both a grim and beautiful end to life. More curious still, was the gleaming circlet which fell from the diving bird’s claws, and as it rolled towards them (towards the paler mare’s hooves), a sharp, inquisitive snort erupted through flared nostrils. The Starry-Eyed knew immediately what the golden gift was, and what exactly it signified.

Astraeus swooped down to collect it and fit it upon the high forelock veiled, brow of his bonded, and broad smile slipped into the one-winged mare’s lively expression. "Amazing..." she hummed in response to both the newly crowned Sultana, and the hawk’s loss. She was both astonished and delighted, and called then with an uplifted face into the atmosphere above, "...Glory to the Sun!" That right decision had been made- apparently.

Sohalia

The day wore on, and yet the Forger-turned-Sultana did not waver in her enthusiasm. There was so much to discuss, so much to be done - particularly now that she needed to know and do so much more than before. Her days as Forger had been methodical and straightforward: get up in the morning, evaluate the Wall's progress, gather materials, build, return to the oasis with the Sun's departure to sleep; and so on and so forth the cycle continued, day in and day out, with little variation. But now, everything had changed. She could taste the difference, could feel the building anticipation for what the following day would bring.

The idea of a school had been half-formed in the Sultana's mind for some time, for she had been a proponent of peace and equality for as long as she could remember. What better way to encourage those things than to better educate the populace of Helovia? After all, weren't intellectual populations more likely to discuss their differences than fight about them? Weren't their various talents - Basin, Edge, Falls, and Throat, all four - put to better use in trade and alliance rather than fighting amongst themselves?

And the Starry-Eyed liked the idea! Oh, how glorious to be paired with someone with such a similar mind! "Thank you," the dove murmured softly, beaming at Africa's praise. As for the question presented, the angel had not given much thought to who they would teach; still, the answer came quickly to her tongue, for it was not a query that she needed a great length of time to consider. "Why, everyone, I should think," she replied with an air of excitement, as though she were discovering new possibilities. "We will be the first to offer such an institution, after all, and I believe that any who wish to learn should be welcome. But... I wouldn't want to cause any problems between herds. What do you think? Would the others wish us well in our endeavor, would they even wish to send us pupils?"

She did not have the shifty frame of mind to consider the other possibilities of such an arrangement - that children could be held as bartering chips, that any pupils sent to them could be offered for ransom. She would never agree to it, in any event, particularly not if they were threatened. It would go entirely against what their Academy would stand for. She did, however, think of something else: "Would it put us in danger, to have those from other herdlands among us?" It was a troubling thought, and her concern showed in the lines of her face - but the implications needed to be discussed.

The hawk's kill was swift and easy, and it seemed that suddenly, she wore a crown upon her brow with no effort at all. Astraeus, cheerful and enthused by his bonded's success, crowed as he swooped into the sky to circle above, watching Silas with interest but allowing the older zephyr a respectful distance. The angel below laughed gleefully, tossing her elegant head, complete with golden tiara, to the sky in jubilation. "Glory, indeed!" she agreed, reaching to bump her nose against her sister's. Astraeus cried out once more from above, and then there was but silence - if only for a moment.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
The wiry mottled whiskers upon her chin lowered again after a brief moment pondering the surreal, spectacular nature of their God; the fascinating way He seemed not there at all, but equally a part of the landscape, the wildlife, their home and them, all at the same time. He was truly a marvel, and she was glad they were His. There is none more mysterious...she whispered beneath a breath, ... none so magical! Enthusiastic gaze quickly found again the lovely white mare’s eyes as she agreed, bumping her nose forward, and the Starry-Eyed readily met it with an affectionate nudge. "Can you imagine a home without such radiance?" she pondered further, gentle tone bright enough this time for her sister to hear. It was an ignorant statement, drawing vaguely from the very few occasions she had stumbled across the borders of the other lands; the bitter Basin, both the terrain and the occupants (and presumably whoever they prayed to), and the misty edge shrouded in night’s shadow with only the weak light (in comparison to His sun), to guide her step. Then curiously she asked with a gentle left-lean to her face, "Have you met any other God, Soh?"

She shortened the other’s graceful name tenderly, the pitch at which she pronounced it thoughtful and confident.

The hawk and the event of his brilliant gift to Sohalia was a strange and sudden distraction, but absolutely worthy all the same. As chat of the deities began to fade, Africa shifted her weight restlessly and thought again about her sister’s school; the plan, which promptly began to rouse her young, ambitious heart with renewed excitement. "Helovia will be all the smarter for an education of this quality." She grinned, not for a second considering who the teachers would be, or how the paler mare would opt to find them. The concept’s picture, demonstrated immediately by her bright, animated imagination was a splendid one, albeit a little blurry and lean on detail. "To think," she continued, passion strengthening her usually and naturally demure voice, "These sands brimming with scholars; taking in young minds (those which were yet to be trained and filled with rich knowledge and culture), and turning fine thinkers back out into society." The prospect appealed enormously, and Africa hoped also that she would be in some way fit enough to contribute- she knew stories, songs, and had a girth-full of experience to draw from.

"And of course they would send pupils..." She assured boldly, but fell quickly silent as she wondered about the Unicorns of the north. They were undeniably untrustworthy, but was that reason enough to discriminate? Could a code be installed to prevent betrayal; to deter the conniving? Optimistically, she thought yes; the potential and benefit far outweighed any reason to attack the school in all probability. It was the foolish desire to find good in everyone that spoke next, and she nodded quietly to the rhythm of the trust that many did not deserve. "I hope the presence of our patrolling troops would remind any guest among us to mind their manners. Maybe we could conduct official Throat business at a location beyond the comfort of our paradise? Just to be safe see, like by old Dragon's Blood." (As long as they had an army to show...) Africa's face turned towards where the old tree should have stood apart from the oasis, well masked by the generous foliage around them.

Sohalia

The gods were all glorious creatures, to be sure, but she had always been particularly intrigued by the Sun. The Moon, as lovely as she was rumored to be, was of the night, and the dove had always been more partial to the daylight; the Earth, important though he was, had never particularly intrigued her; and the Spark, the newest and, perhaps, the quirkiest of them all, was not very well known to her and, therefore, did not hold her interest. But the Sun gave them light, and warmth, and growth, for without Him, the others could not possibly function.

"I met the Earth God, once," she responded with a small, reminiscent smile. "And I carry one of his magics. I respect him, but he is very different from our God." She paused to glance around their home: the golden sand, the emerald oasis, the sparkling ocean in the distance. There was so much that was unique about their home, something so much more special than the northern mountains, the eastern hills, the western forest. "He's more... vibrant, or something. I'm not sure how to describe it!" she added with a laugh.

Talk turned to their future plans, and she felt more than just the weight of her new tiara grow upon her shoulders. How could they ensure the safety of their herd while welcoming newcomers across the borders? How would they encourage other herds to send their own children for an education? "We should start small," she mused. "Perhaps we shall approach one herd at a time? After we implement it in our own, of course." But how would they go about doing that? They would need teachers, to start, and guidelines, and finally, of course, pupils! Was she prepared to put it all in motion, to see her dream blossom into a reality?

Was she prepared to give up the opportunity?

Africa's suggestion was met with an eager nod of the head. Of course they could separate their own herd from the others! But, she supposed, all of their students should be kept together, shouldn't they? Solidarity amongst peers would be an important lesson, and one should always practice what one preaches... but there! She was getting ahead of herself. "We should begin planning. We could mention it to the herd, and ask for volunteers for teachers?"

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Deceased
Africa had also witnessed firsthand the splendour of the God of the Earth; the wings she turned to for flight were a gift from Him. A long time ago, He’d been conducting an orchestra; the song of the ocean, the crashing waves, and a symphony so beautiful that the trees combing the Endless Blue had been stirred to dance. Africa had been mesmerised, carried to another world- but still her love for their patron God ran stronger through her veins. She nodded quietly as Sohalia spoke of her experience, quietly captivated.

The afternoon was growing old, the late light a rich golden red, and Africa was still more grateful that they’d found Sohalia nestled deep in shade hours before. The shimmering surface of the cool, sweet lake, the land’s very namesake, was an inviting presence, especially while the heat only intensified through the lead up to dusk. She thought idly, after turning to gaze out across its vast expanse that a long dip might be in order when they’d finished their official business- and that time she felt, was nearing quickly.

"What if..." she began slowly, a rather grand idea building through her mind as talk was guided down the path of the academy. "What if our crafters work on a shelter- trees for shade, a well for water. The school could stand apart from the oasis. It would be an opportunity to showcase our strength, our lands find metals." Africa was not by nature a gaudy creature, but she saw value in displaying the best of the herd. There was too, still the wall to be rebuilt- and a Forger to be found... "Our creative arts might inspire young crafters to study." A smile glimmered across sun-struck eyes, "A library, Soh! Can you imagine?"

There was so much planning to be done, and though overwhelming to behold, the Starry-Eyed felt not burden from its enormity. "A herd vote." She agreed at last- "Let’s say, in a week’s time?" That should offer opportunity for a better presentation of their plans to be rehearsed; there were many creases that needed ironing out, though Africa was more excited to pursue the endeavour than in a hurry. It meant that their home would again have an identity- one that suited far better the foundations across which the new age was growing.