the Rift

[OPEN] sauveur
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
en natt så kall och månen den var klar
[ @[Sielu] and @[Illynx] first please, then anyone is welcome. <3 Date: May 1st, continuation of Cry like you should. It's raining, approaching sunrise; they're still in Threshold territory. ]

It tore at his heart, to see his youngest girl like this: inches from a brink he could not pull her back from, halfway into a darkness she had to crawl out of herself, or be pulled in. To find one of your children on what could very possibly be the doorstep of death... Because she was so cold under his muzzle, so fragile and her voice so weak, damp limbs quivering against the chilling mud.

She didn't remember Lena—maybe they'd never even met, Mauja hardly knew enough of what his daughter had done in the Basin because he'd broken every promise he'd made Faelene—but that hardly mattered. He'd only asked to keep her thoughts from freezing, to keep her awake even as the cold spring rain sluiced down from heaven to drench them all. His hot breath rose in clouds towards the distant, dreary sky as his child rallied the last of her strength—and came upright. Mud scraped off on him as she braced, his hooves finding roots and stable rocks to press against as the narrow young mare heaved herself up.

If only it could've ended there.

Agony, as sudden as a thunderclap, rushed into his mind, a startling, bone-deep pain causing his nerves to resonate with empathy; the wordless cry Sielu uttered was given voice by him, a strangled, drawn-out yelp. For a moment he lost sight of the world, blackness devouring him, but the surprise rattled the walls of his mind loose. They rose, and he felt the black tide of her pain beat against them like waves against tall cliffs, sliding along the inside of his skull.. until they receded, and he dared to listen to her voice again. In hindsight, it was a miracle he hadn't fallen over.

Sielu's slim form was shaking next to him, pressed tight against his side by Illynx; slowly, Mauja's heart rate returned to normal. “Legs hurt. Head hurts. It burns.” It tore at him to hear her mind's voice, hear the pain and the fear, to cause her all of this—but if they didn't.. if they didn't lead her to safety and warmth, a healer and some food... He couldn't bear thinking of it, just leaned in to press his muzzle against her neck. "Sh, I know, I know, but it's not far," he told her gently, the lies falling from his tongue with ease. To call the Basin "not far" was like saying snow was green, and he was starting to think that, for all her charm and skill, maybe Lena was a bit too far away to be the best option.

But Illynx broke into his thought, in such a manner that made him want to just lean over Sielu's neck and stab her a little. "Brace her, she cannot walk."

And some of his control broke, burst open, and some blackness rolled out with his voice.

"No shit," he spat at her. "What do you think I'm doing?" Because honestly, if Mauja wasn't there to cushion the pressure Illynx was putting on poor Sielu, they both would've fallen over and Sielu probably would've been crushed beneath the fat weight of the golden lady and whatever spawn was growing in her womb and eating her brains (because she was being a lot more stupid than usual).

Still, such.. childish anger always made him chafe when he gave in to it, nor was it productive; his main focus was getting Sielu alive to someone who could help her. He could deal with pushing Illynx off a cliff later. So he ground his teeth together and when the fat lady rocked into motion, he followed suit, trying to trap Sielu between them with an even pressure.

"It seems wiser to not press her so far north," and he had to bite his tongue; was she saying it for his benefit, or because she wanted to seem wise, and noble? Because, newsflash, Mauja had arrived to the same conclusion, and only someone utterly stupid would fail to notice how weak the child was.

But maybe she thought he was utterly stupid.

Wouldn't be surprising, after all.

Or she thought everyone was like herself—in which case she was utterly stupid.

But as she went on, one of his ears flicked with thinly veiled interest. Midas? Hidden Falls? Wasn't Midas still in the south, frolicking in sand with idiot Pegasus mares and that dumb-dumb Gaww-chooo who thought he was so fucking hot and dangerous? Weren't the Foothills closer?

But maybe it was that demon spawn in her womb eating her brains again because clearly they were taking a northerly course; Mauja remained silent, and simply hobbled along, hoping they'd be able to keep Sielu standing between them until they reached their destination. If she were to fall.. it'd all be over.

"Just keep going," he told his child in a gentle voice, "we'll get you there safe and sound."

Lies. Because what else could he tell her?
Se dem brinna över verkan se dem dansa framför bål
Se dem mässa inför satan se dem smida sina stål
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

I hardly noticed when they first clamped bodies tightly around me, pushing against sore flesh and coming to a combined choice to drag what was left of these remains along. Their weight against me was a nearly anesthetized pressure. For a moment my saviors allowed limbs to remain immobile, locked and seemingly useless in being more than a brace against the ant crawling, beetle digging world below. There were dark spots growing out of the sides of my vision, Daddy became murky as if cloaked in a coming storm—his silvery fur turned into a milky shadow. I didn’t bother glancing over at Illynx, she likely disappeared. A deep pounding volunteered to rob remaining senses, blood rushed past ears and into the abyss which was my brain. The gushing sound was drowning and broke what fragile connection could be mustered between Daddy and me.

He was talking to me though, a soothing and grave voice that gave more comfort by tone then by the choice of words. Like a small light shining in its pinpoint way I narrowed on their voices—finding a new anchor to drive back a fraction of obscurity which was pounding wider to the rhythm of my heartbeat. We could have stood here for half a century, it would have suited me fine. Until they started to walk…

Pain returned with vengeance, rising from warm embers into a funnel--my feet buckled uselessly and dragged even more counter-productively. Remaining strength flooded a new wave of panic, I was going to fall! But the ground drifted no closer and vision didn’t simply fan out of existence. They held me, and this grown frame tightly, steadily enough to actually secure a few steps without the three of us tottering over.

Daddy spoke, urging me, find the will to not give in. The stubbornness of my parents (or parents in general) was astounding, and a child could only follow by example. I struggled with limbs, trying to get them to work in some fashion that would be of service rather than complete hindrance. The fire surged and I screamed, though to them it would come out as a gaping sigh, teeth gashing in a near yawn like stretch. Immature magic lacked vigor to make a better connection with da, so I would suffer this alone. Wobbly props took half steps, a rocking, snail pace was our result.
credits

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
Illynx
An ear and golden eye tilt towards his rather rude remark to her attempts to be helpful, a roll slipping into her features as she returns her gaze to the path ahead, not really trying so hard to wear her mask around Mauja; he knew who she was, perhaps better than most she knew now, and there was little point pretending to be polite with him when he knew good and well she was not the sort to give a damn.

"It’s usually more your style to run away once any real work becomes involved," she retorts waspishly, "your women, your friends, your home…" Her words trail into silence and are replaced with a smug smile, though she doesn’t look over to him for any response (possibly because she knows there won’t be any unless he obliges her with words again). Maybe she should not be so cruel, but at the end of the day, it was not her daughter she was seeking to help, at least not directly; if he wanted to take off because she was being her usual tart little self then it would be his conscience that would ache with the weight, not hers.

Either way it becomes instantly evident that the girl is dead weight already, even if she’s not actually dead. Grunting with every uneven step on the walk, her child contests ruefully within her and she begins to regret it all about fifteen minutes in, especially with all of Mauja’s muttering at Sielu. Its not that she doesn’t see the purpose – its possible that the girl is speaking to Mauja in her silent way and he seeks only the reassurance that she is conscious, but every so often she writhes or makes a face of such pain that the Lady feels her own bones throb.

At least the man had consented to come with her, though his ear had flipped backwards at the mention of those two names together and the woman had replied with only a knowing smile that mocked and sang, “I know something you don’t know!”

So they were here, trudging along with a limp body between the two of them and each one bristling with their own dislikes of the other; it was odd how children could temporarily heal any grudge or emotional pain when they had a need for protection and salvation. By now, he’s probably noticed that they are headed in the general direction of what used to be known as the Foothills, and she hopes he’s putting things together and realizing that it’s the same place as the Hidden Falls. She doesn’t really care if he manages all that before they get there; half of her wants to see his reaction to Midas living in a forest, anyway, and it will be all the more valid if she doesn’t give away the surprise.

"It’s just ahead," she states, hoping that at least now Mauja can tell where they’ve come, and with a lightening of her heart they find the trees thinner and the ground more rolling, the changes that have taken the Earth’s land not as obvious from this direction.

Pausing just where the smells start to become strongest from patrols, she smiles over towards the Frostheart before returning her eyes into the home of Midas and Seele, their mad children and the river chasers. "Czar Midas!" she calls, "there is a little one here who would greatly appreciate the aid of your people!"

if I only could make a deal with God.
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Azarel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Azarel
"Czar Midas! There is a little one here who would greatly appreciate the aid of your people!" There goes my dinner. The exact second that I had lowered my head to start grazing, that voice calls out. How lucky she was that I was near, even if I was nobody in this herd. I doubted that anyone but my family and the leaders even knew my name. Aslan yawned in his sleep, tightly curled up in a ball on my golden back. He was sound asleep, probably dreaming about his new family. Our family. Without waking him up, I rose my head and fell into gallop to the borders, my golden necklace bumping against my chest as my hooves hit the earth - and what a surprise I got when I arrived there. Three unicorns, all smelling of woods and dirt. Herd members? No, I hadn't seen them before. Newcomers? But who had recruited them? Where was the recruiter in that case? Who were they?

I looked at the smallest one, my eyes widening as I looked over her. She was... purple. Not dark like my sister, but... Really purple. Slowly, my gaze rose to the white one that had black spots and the dark one with the golden horn. Who were they? "Azarel, soldier apprentice. Who are you all?" I asked, quick in tone but not in any way rude. The purple filly - oh my Gods, she didn't have hair, she had blue fire where the mane and tail would be - didn't look very healthy. It looked weak, actually, very weak. Around my age, I would guess. As I realized what needed to be done, I turned my head towards the heart of the Hidden Falls and let my voice echo into the forest. "Healer! To the border, now!" I didn't even care who these were. Someone was needing our help and I would help them no matter what. Horses did not abandon each other, because we were herd animals - family all together. "HELP!" I turned to the small group again and stepped closer to the smoke-haired filly, looking over her. "What's wrong? Can I help you?" My gaze rose to the other two. "What happened to her?"

"Talking."
wordcount // 368
ooc // Azarel to the rescue :D
tags // @[Illynx] @[Mauja] @[Sielu] @[Kiara] @[Midas]
silverflames burning high
Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

"It’s usually more your style to run away once any real work becomes involved, your women, your friends, your home…"

There were a lot of things he wanted to say to that, to narrow his icy eyes at her and hotly demand, what do you know of my missions?, but all he did was reach over Sielu's drooping neck and click his teeth together; an unusually clear sign of aggression, coming from him. It was rare he did more than slick his ears back and glare with darkness welling up in his soul, but then again.. it had been a long time since he'd had the energy to curb his emotions and store them in their filthy jar.

The real reason he didn't say anything, though, was Sielu. She didn't need to know of all the things her father had done, or meant to do. He didn't want to be the one to tarnish her and turn her to darkness—he didn't walk that road anymore. So he spared his words, his futile explanations (he was fairly sure she didn't want them, anyway; that she just enjoyed poking fun at him because he reacted, for once), and walked in silence, bracing the quiet girl between them. It was a delicate balance between keeping her packed tight enough so she wouldn't slide down between them, and giving her enough space to actually move her legs. It was slow, heavy going, and aside from his occasional word of encouragement to Sielu, he was quiet. Illynx the Fat Lady was silent, too, for which Mauja was grateful. He wasn't sure he could've walked the entire way to the Foothills, Falls, whatever, if she'd gotten the idea to talk his ears off about his failures.

"It’s just ahead," she said after a rain-drenched eternity. It seemed familiar, he'd been in the Foothills before, but at the same time, something about it seemed.. off, the horizon wasn't what his memory told him it should be. He said nothing, and when she stopped, he stopped, supporting the limp, cold frame of Sielu. "Czar Midas!" Czar? Midas?

She really wasn't kidding.

Midas lived here, somewhere, in a forest, foothills that were hidden falls, and he bore the fancy title of Czar. Much as Mauja had hoped she was just being delusional because of her fat foal he hadn't really expected it to be incorrect; Illynx wouldn't have allowed herself to make such a major mistake in the presence of Mauja. So with each step that led to the salvation of his child his mind had grown heavier, more burdened, darker; Midas knew of the orders of his arrest. Midas had tried to take him. What Midas didn't know, was that he'd spoken with Kahlua, and that he was supposed to turn himself in when he was "ready".

He ground his teeth together, swallowed, prepared to settle in and wait for, well, every kind of disaster—but the wait proved short, as a skinny yearling unicorn came out through the trees. He seemed a bit surprised to see them, and stared at Sielu in a way that made Mauja want to bite his nose. "Azarel, soldier apprentice. Who are you all?" He wasn't entirely senseless, but Mauja was fidgety and anxious, his gaze darker than it needed to be as his blood rushed through his veins. He just wanted a healer, not Midas, and to be able to take his daughter and run away before things became so complicated he wasn't sure he could take it.

But just as he was preparing to answer, the colt cried out for a healer and worry for Sielu seemed to take over the soldier show he'd been putting up. "Probably not," he replied crassly, not caring if he hurt the boy's feelings. Some angry, stressed part of him even said feelings are for hurting, and he had to nearly bite his tongue to keep himself from waving his horn at him, to make him back off. Expecting Illynx to smirk at him and take over with her silver tongue, Mauja ground his jaws together and let silence reign.

He didn't have anything useful to say anyway, because he didn't want to introduce himself.

To the great surprise of Illynx, all he wanted to do was run away.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

There wasn’t many things that surprised me anymore. I’d seen the world engulfed by complete and sudden darkness—a light snuffed by whatever jester thought it’d be funny to watch us squirm under his influence. I’d been in battles, and sorely won against opponents of more robust stature. Our home was riddled with those that still bore traces of infection from the last onslaught of misfortune. Life had been changed by a god who bid me become head and voice for his children. I watched on the sidelines as my offspring grew from gangly to powerful and as a women and mate left for the embrace of some other man.

I’d even been to another world, and stood in that place where time was thin. And our lives clashed upon one each other like the gashing fangs of a wolf…

It was nothing but an expectation, in the continuation of our poor luck when the summoning trumpets of a girl I’d saved and sent away came to ears; she was once again cawing at my border—though the meaning of this visit was anything but politics. Fina stirred against my hide, waking from the warm peace we were momentarily allowed, turning head toward the sound.

I listened as well, only opening lids when there was a pause in the garbled language that traveled to our tiny overhang near the base of one jutted cliff which soared high above the damp canopy. I'd half a thought to just go back into the dark abyss, let the soldiers handle the fool who caused strife during wee hours this morning. Thunder rolled, causing a responding shiver, it was well known that this summons couldn’t simply be ignored.

My companion was ready to slide back into sleep when I pushed out from the shadows and into the cool drizzle. She hissed out of irritation, urging me with silent nudges to retreat back into the warmth of our little hangout. 'Damn the idiot who stole those precious hours of beauty sleep'—was mostly all I gathered from her bitter grumblings.

Feathers caught the wind, I lunged from our cliff overlooking the dark canopy. The sky rumbled with a promise of yet more blessed rain. Aside from the current drizzling, at least we weren’t in the middle of a complete downpour. We neared their location just as a strangled cry whelped into existence, this voice was younger and seemingly higher pitched—alarm grew and I quickened our pace. Fina finally gave up her vain desire to stay dry and moved from my spine into the murky atmosphere.

A yearling soldier had beaten us, Delinne’s colt. I pitched forward, brows narrowing with mild surprise to see that it wasn’t just Illynx, but the Frostheart king himself!....and between them? I frowned and glided to the ground with silent practice. The phoenix drifted close, landing across my spine and settling as I walked toward the trio, still frowning and finding that there were no words for these first few seconds.

Held between the unicorn pair was a girl, a filthy lass who looked like she’d been pulled through the mud and then dumped in the nearest swampy puddle for good measure. But the appearance wasn’t what birthed interest as much as the extreme fatigue that was evident in every flex of those limp muscles. I couldn’t withhold the quiet sigh that sprang forth, “Go,” I said, turning one hard eye and a quarter of attention to the youth that stood by, “Find Kiara or Reizend,” tone was curt and chipped off at the end—but now wasn’t the time for pleasantries and I was surely not in the mood to give any. Fina tightened her grip and I glanced back, a single nod was all she needed. The firechild took off for heaven, climbing over the mountain we’d just passed to get here. They’d find a healer.

And meanwhile....

Gaze fully returned to Mauja and a swollen Illynx, before finally resting upon the pitiful youth between them. Honeyed eyes that had been hard upon arrival, now they visibly softened into a tired but harmless embrace of fate itself, “Let me help make her comfortable.” I said quietly, allowing my tone to be evidence that I meant no harm.

Sand pooled from beneath golden daggers, sliding toward them with a serpent like pattern. I sought to form a bed beneath her, raised from the cold muck. I’d used this same magic to carry many a body from one place to another, the act of using this power was risky—considering if this was a well-crafted hoax…. A separate torrent rose high above them, fanning out to offer protection against the elements. A shield of sort. It was crudely fashioned, but effective--and they could release their hold on the girl some without having said child spill herself across the forest floor.

Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Illynx
The first to come to Sielu’s rescue is one of little use to her plight but for the fact he’s obviously capable of using those four legs beneath him, but she is glad to see that it is one of their lost brothers who appears through the trees rather than one of the less desirables she knows to live in this verdant haven. The entire situation seems shocking to the lad who quickly rambles on with many more words than are necessary, to which the Lady gives a quirky smile that lies across her sweeping annoyance at having to answer so many things at once and that this one is not a healer as she had wanted.

”Probably not,” comes the voice of her former king, and she looks over to him with a sidelong glance that finds great humor in his displeasure and figuring it probably has something to do with the fact that, while he was no longer among the darklings on the mountain, he still wore the marks of his time in their shadow.

She does not care what others think of her, if they will come to burn her at the stake; its clear enough in the way she moves to answer the boy and is met instead with the sound of hooves touching the earth, her gaze switching towards the armored Czar of the land with her friendly but surely aware of the situation smile flashing across her face.

It seems he is not annoyed with their intrusion, for which she is thankful, taking note of the concern that etches its way into each step and movement of the painted sky pony. It are his words which answer the colt, and so she lets that part of her thoughts slip away as the pegasus turns his attentions to the babe suspended between them.

”Let me help make her more comfortable,” he offers without a word shared between any of them, sending a ripple of relief through the golden bitch that she will no longer have to support the girl’s weight against her fat sides and swollen ankles, that Midas has consented to help without ever being asked in a formal fashion. "Thank you, for you kindness," she says softly and mostly with sincerity, watching the sand rise from below and embrace the filly, slowly withdrawing from her side to leave the lavender babe suspended across Midas’ magic as she quickly explains herself, "I feared she did not have the strength to make it north, or I would not have intruded upon your serenity again so soon."

She trusts him, as surely as he does not trust her. For all the things her enemies are, most of them hold such a deep sense of kindness and compassion that, while she is quick to take advantage of, do not quite compute in her selfish head. If the Falls had brought them a child, half dead, suspended between the bodies of two murderers (whether one had retired or not), she may have offered to help, but surely would have another motive in mind.

For whatever reason, she is sure Midas has only motives to save.

It makes her bitterly envious; she views the emotion only as aggravation at his physical appearance and that she has been forced to rely on him so.

Her mask is smooth, no flaws in the porcelain.

"She’s called Sielu. I… I’m not sure what’s happened to her," she explains, glancing over to Mauja and then back to the painted stag and his burning companion, "her mother went missing from our number shortly after the rise of the wraiths. We discovered her lying, near death, back that ways some distance, as if she’d lain there for years." Looking down at the limp frame lying on the sand, concern bleeding into the smooth glass of her façade, her ears splay atop her head and she shakes her muzzle to and fro slowly, gently, disbelief at the strangeness of her reappearance evident on her mask.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
Kiara

It did not take long for the firebird to find who she needed to. Between the voices and the sight of Czar Midas's companion the Earth Medic was on her way to the boarders. Her own bonded on the other hand was gathering a range on herbs that could be used to aid whatever healing the heavily pregnant roan mare would need to do. She could not move faster than a trot, which was highly annoying for the roan. Slower to arrive, slower to heal..... But could also mean that critical time was wasted just in trying to get to the one needing help.

Instead it was Keiran who arrived first, stopping short next to their Czar. Kiara herself arrived moments later, breathing heavily. It was the first time she had gone so close to the edge of the Falls since being forced into such a condition. It was then her eyes focused on who she was going to be helping. Three unicorns, one clearly smelling of the north, of the Basin. Kiara's blood could of frozen within her veins. It okay. Czar Midas won't let them hurt you. Help girl. Kiara moved forward slowly, fear clearly shown in every step. She should tell Midas, or this mare from the Basin, what had happened.... She she couldn't bring herself to do so. Instead she quietly looked the girl over.

Without a single word, she called upon the magic the God of the Earth had granted her. Emerald green eyes closed tight as she willed the magic to flow from her to the young girl. The strange colored girl did not deserve whatever she had been through. That was clear enough to the roan and to her that was all that mattered.

"Talking"

Image Credit

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Sielu Posts: 47
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 5 years :: Orangemoon
Angel

They couldn’t hear the screams or cries. Couldn’t understand as they carry me to some other place, (with carried as a word of nearly perfect interpretation.) Finally, we stop and I slump forward, drained of everything, eyes shut, quietly slipping into a muddy darkness almost willingly. What more could be done? I’d been a good girl, done what daddy said. Their voices continue nevertheless, more meaningless words, and someone else comes into the clearing—adding his high-pitched vocal’s to the confusing slop.

It seemed like eternity of humming, whispers; then suddenly salvation. The ground rose to meet me. (Or I’d tumbled over to meet it.) Had da let me fall? Halfway expecting to see a slanted image, one lid crested, barely a glimpse of the upright shadows that surround this body and its trapped soul before vision goes dark again, dirty violet slides closed once more.

Warmth, unlike the forest floor, there is no muck or cold wet to greet cooled flesh. Like a heartbeat or the first rays of sunlight on a snowy day. I sink into this strange offering with childlike trust—knowing no different than simply allowing what will happen to happen.

There is something more than heat and the promise of comfort, a raw strength flows into limp muscles. For a moment I can do nothing but lay still in astounded shock, there is no pain now, only a strange pulling sensation. Was I dying? “Daddy?” I don’t feel like I’m fading away back into the darkness, no, it is that gentle tugging that is making me whole again. As if the fractured part of my physical body is coming back together. Lips flap apart and for the first time in a long time I stand without the need of assistance.

Eyelids open, revealing a muddled gaze of confusion and disbelief. As a newborn I hold a wobbly but strong stance, breathing out in soft soundless heaves. There a man and woman ahead, one with… “Da!” the word is a whisper, but my tone finally lacks the previous exhaustion which had rendered me helpless before; it is easy to find the latch which securely opens a threshold between myself and him. An image flows between us, a picture of flying ravens and within that picture I narrow to the feathers. Ever the wondering mind, ever the learning heart, “Bird man,” I exclaim softly, intrigued not by the fact I’d taken a huge leap into living, but by the visual cue that this stranger had a unique gift.

Perhaps I wasn’t so unusual after all.

credits
Ascended Helovian

[ randomly huge post oops ]

Was time running out for Sielu? With each passing heartbeat, with each second this round-eyed youth wasted on gawping instead of running off to find a healer—did it bring his youngest, most fragile child closer to death? She was dead weight between them, each of Illynx's breaths and shifts reverberating through her narrow frame onto his flank. The dark spaces around his mind were silent, with no silver stream of words reaching for his thoughts, and her breathing seemed so shallow, so weak.

Had they killed her, with their ruthless dragging of her here? Had they sentenced her to die while waiting for help?

No, please, no; she was still standing at least, held upright by whatever last bit of strength she had. Mauja's heart was thundering, eyes wild, until he saw the sky. Through the drizzle came the small, odd stallion, the one Mauja wanted to call both friend and foe, danger. The phoenix (he told Irma and Diego to remain out of sight) was with him, of course, with her fire.

But if he was Czar, then healers could come at his command, and the life of Mauja's child would be saved,

right?

Because right now he was pinning all his hopes on Midas.

It pushed even all his fears of another brutal attempt at arresting him aside. Because what was more important? His freedom, or his daughter's life? But he did not believe Midas cruel enough to barter with her breath and blood, not now, maybe afterwards, but not when saving her; the colt, who had received no more response than Mauja's snapping teeth, took off at the Czar's orders, disappeared, and was never to be seen again by Mauja—that day, at least. The phoenix went, too. And those gold eyes turned back to the unicorns.

If he'd meant to attack Mauja and take him prisoner, he seemed to give up on it, because with a kind of defeat in his stance and voice he said: “Let me help make her comfortable.” Mauja didn't know what it meant, what he would do, just stood wound tight and worried but nodding imperceptibly. He wanted to cater towards what kindness there was in Midas, scrub away the stains of their last encounter and what questions surely lingered in their minds.

But then his attention was taken off the past, rudely returned to the present as sand—so dry in the bitter downpour—rose from the sodden ground, and the purple child seemed to fold down onto it. It tickled against his legs, and Illynx moved aside; Mauja reached down instead, to touch his muzzle to Sielu's cheek, barely noticing that the rain seemed to lessen. Illynx's voice went in one ear and out the other. Surely she was just exchanging pleasantries and if he had to guess what she was saying, he'd probably nail it. Besides, some part of his mind was paying attention.

But at the mention of Sielu's name he glanced up, seeing Illynx give him a questioning look. He shook his head. Her guess was as good as his—that was to say, neither of them had a clue.

A small, fat roan came wobbling over.

For a dizzying moment he saw her from an owl's perspective only, until his gaze rushed down to earth and he saw her coming through the morning mist instead. Her sides were showing some roundness, her scent revealing her to be pregnant, but.. whatever the case, she seemed absolutely terrified of them. Mauja gave Illynx a searching look. After all, the mare was hornless, so it would not surprise him if she'd been tangled up in the less savory activities of the Basin.

Despite her fear, and maybe driven on by what he assumed was her companion panther, she came over, staring intently at Sielu. Mauja looked at her, then at Midas, then back to his child, all the while trying to still his thrumming heart and mask his fear. Because it would not have been beyond him to murder a helpless child, if born of the enemy; what was to prevent them from doing it?

But they didn't. Of course they didn't.

She became less limp, still sprawled, but he heard the first tentative echo of her voice in his mind. "I'm here," he whispered to the girl, head bent, heart racing, mind a mess. But she came back to him. She came back to life, two-colored eyes open, strength in her too-narrow frame, as she seemed to stand without the aid of sand. Wonder colored her voice, amazement, ravens flying and feathers and—

“Bird man.”

He felt so relieved he could've cackled manically and wept, just because the chemicals had to get out of him somewhere, but all that came out was soft, fond laughter. Ever the inquisitive mind, and yet.. well, of course, with her rather sheltered upbringing, this had to be the first Pegasus she saw.

"Yes," he answered. The danger sweeping away was enough to bring him back to life, to let the sharp-edged amusement glint in his pale eyes. "Bird man. His name is Midas, and he rules these lands, and helped to make you feel better."

His gaze drifted to Midas, to his gold-touched eyes, and he wondered if the Pegasus would be able to read what the emotions spelled out in his own: thank you.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I artlessly nodded when Illynx breathed out a word of thanks and loosed her bloated grip enough to provide some small measure of comfort for herself (and likely the squished woman standing between.) If only the formality of this meeting could be skipped entirely, but alas, the dusted basin girl slipped into an explanation—adding that this visit was most certainly unplanned. I listened quietly, nodding when appropriate but otherwise remaining silent. The majority of my concentration was being used to apply steady magic. Though I took notice when Mauja was surprisingly tender, he didn’t step aside but instead moved to comfort the girl in a way that could only be a sign of affection and concern.

Sielu. A captivating name for a rather interesting girl. Beneath the shades of muck I caught glimpses of violet, the color of a fallen sun. When Illynx mentioned the disappearance of a parent and that this fawn had suddenly reappeared. Brows drew together and my gaze narrowed to match the concerned frown upon my face, “A curious thing, perhaps her lips will spin a tale for ye later.” Maybe she had been kidnapped by some swindler who thought she’d make a lovely whore, or maybe the poor wrench had escaped from the darkness, or the dead land as we called it now. Her mother was likely still among the ranks of those that were beyond a cure.

Before anything more could be said however, Fina came screeching overhead, I glanced round and saw Keiran, Kiara’s companion come cantering in from the mountain path. Kiara was quick to follow, her heels dragging from the extra weight of carrying a foal. Kiara’s time, much like Illynx, was drawing nigh. She said not a single syllable and slowly approached our patient with wary steps. My features gentled and I allowed the faintest twitch of a smile to curl one corner of my lips,be easy, the motion seemed to say, all is well.

These people were not my enemy today, just as Mauja hadn’t truly been a foe, but a means to an end when orders for capture came to me during a time when Kri still oversaw Dragon’s Throat. Not to mention that with each passing moment the odds tipped toward my favor and the likelihood of this being a ploy seemed like foolish, idiot thinking.

It wasn’t long before Sielu was standing unassisted, also unusually silent. My magical threads withdrew from underneath her carriage; she appeared undaunted by the shift of pressure. Earth had offered his temporary strength, but I wasn’t convinced it would last without proper nourishment and her own body to take over the load. She gasps, a quiet, wordless sound and my smile widens in anticipation of words. None came forth, though the spotted man standing by seemed to hone in on what minuscular cues there was. He hovered over her, like a father doting his child, seemingly relieved. I mused quietly and held the umbrella of sand above them.

The two seemed to communicate in their own way, her tri colored gaze shifted to me, focusing with an almost amusing fixation. Then they drifted back to him, sparkling as if she’d just found a shiny new toy. When the fallen king chuckled softly, I unintentionally started, left to gaze back and forth between the two with a quizzed expression. I was introduced, honeyed pools fell upon the lass, “Lady Sielu,” crown dipped toward chest in a gentle tuck, the sand above them shivered—blowing fine golden dust around the sides of the trio as the breeze picked up. When gaze rose I met Mauja with a small grin of bemusement.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Illynx
"Perhaps," she says in reply to the Czar, words cut shorter than they might have been by Kiara’s arrival, "though it may be her mind will let her remember nothing, as is sometimes the case."The arrival of the healer leaves the Lady with a heavy sigh of relief ushering from her lips and an intense amount of emotional pressure is expelled; the broad girth of the other woman does not escape her and she smiles an unusually friendly smile towards the hornless mare, feeling an ounce of kinship between herself and the equally uncomfortable Earth mender, for surely her ankles ache as desperately as her own, and while the equine had not totted a body against her swollen frame, she had come charging along at quite a speed.

The way women suffer for children, she thinks with some amusement, as usual clinging to the lightness of the dark, dark clouds they found themselves swimming in.

The healing was not the beautiful song in combination with the Time’s mending power that Lena wielded, but she watches the magic as she watches all magic; interest lines her features and her ears listen to the whispers of the power as it wraps around the wounded child, restoring her until Sielu opens, at last, her pretty blue eyes and truly sees the world around her.

The golden Lady smiles sweetly at the girl, taking note of the wonder on her face as she takes note of the Czar’s wings, always taking delight in the first time one of the little mountain children experiences the flawed species. When Mauja speaks, making light of the hidden words of the peculiar way in which the child communicates, she smiles all the more broadly, a faint bit of laughter breaking from her lips.

"Where will you go from here, Mauja?" she asks the Frostheart, having decided a while back in their walk that since Sielu’s mother was no longer around, what became of the sweet girl was now dependant on her sire. She could almost laugh at the thought of leaving Mauja in charge of something – surely he would fail her as he had the others – but there is always the chance that he can do right by her. She surely will let him try. "She will need you more than she ever has, now."

[ OOC: I take forever. :| Sorryyyyyy beat me with things ]