[OPEN] Counting the Stars

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
i just want someone to save me
i'll always be there when you wake

The tide is extremely far out tonight, the white sand reaching out far enough to expose the dips and rough edges where the water would usually break into white-capped waves. Tallsun has finally reached Helovia, and you cannot help but sigh a little at the idea; the hottest season has just fallen a day or two ago, and you have only just now gotten used to the -already- miserable heat of your home. Doing as instructed, you were once more out of the Throat and looking around for anything that seems suspicious, but to you, everything is suspicious.. It will probably be best to not report that the waves were so far out, right? Ouija had stayed back home, being too tired to keep moving back and forth from the forests to the boiling heat of red sand, and you can't blame her, she is still fairly young after all.

The sand, dry as a bone after being dehydrated by the sun all day, gives under overgrown feet easily, letting them sink with each step. You had had troubles with walking in the soft sand a couple of years ago, but after inhabiting the Throat for as long as you have, you've finally found it easy to navigate. Long toes drag lazily with each step, leaving divots in the sand that will surely wash away with the next high tide. The moon hangs in the sky, only showing a little less and a quarter of itself; his children glisten in the black sky, forming connect the dot shapes and figures that you remember Mother pointing out to you as a foal.

The sand begins to give too much for your liking, your legs sinking nearly all the way to your ankle before hitting solid ground below, so you turn to the right, trotting down to the compact sand. Your tail arches, twisting and flicking in the air as you move; it's been so long since you've been able to let loose and leave your guard down, you don't remember if you've even been able to play since you were fairly young. Crowned skull drops to the sand, ears laying back and nostrils rattling as a loud snort sends sand scattering away. The urge to buck and rear and spin and canter fills your lonely heart, but you resist the urge in case of being spotted. Now you wish so badly that Ouija would have come along with you, then playing wouldn't look so foolish for a grown ass stallion.

Swiftly, you lift your skull back into the air, ears rotating around uneasily, hoping to not hear the familiar sound of a chuckle or sweet laughter directed toward you. Lean legs freeze below your body, head swiveling to watch the distant waves crash onto the wet shore. Empty eyes reach up to the moon, falling back to the ocean numerous times as if something would happen between the two.. but nothing happened.. at all. The beach was silent with only your breathing and the lullaby of waves; the birds have fallen asleep and the insects dislike the muggy air of a warm beach. You are alone.

Text here "Chat here." Voices here
Tagged: Open. Possibly @[Sorrow] if they'd like to patrol together?

i like watching puddles gather rain
Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Alysanne
Sleepless and restless Alysanne’s night felt doomed to be so she had decided to abandon her sleeping spot, where the grass had grown particularly well with the help of her magic, the soft blades tickling at her knees. Hemlock had had no such trouble, the babe still finding sleep within moments and not relinquishing it until something made him - such as his stomach or his bonded. He remained where he was, nestled amongst her feathers of her wings as she cradled him with each step - growing used to the careful movements so that she barely even needed to think about it anymore.

He was growing - he knew when to hold on and when he could wander about safely. And he was learning to fly! Little bit at a time but gradually those fuzzy down feathers would be replaced by sleek grey and her little Hemlock wouldn’t be quite so little anymore.

Well, relatively speaking. From the size he was now, it did not appear that he would be growing much bigger!

Without him to keep her company, Alysanne’s mind raced and soon her body was itching to do the same. Flying just did not give her the same thrill as a good run did - and after waking her companion and giving him fair warning, the painted mare stretched her legs as she followed the coast of Helovia - down from where the cliffs gave way to beach, down to where the summer sea lapped lazily at the sand.

In the faint light of the moon, it felt as though there was a new world buzzing about her - fireflies blinked in the bushes and grasses that began where sand turned into soil, the hum of the night life all around her. In the midst of her joy, a figure ahead on the beach added itself to this moonlit world. And it was no small delight that she noticed as she approached that she recognized that figure. Voodoo! His name called out in her mind but not with her mouth as it would seem wrong to call out to him on such a quiet night, to interrupt the peace of the summer night. But she went toward him all the same, slowing her pace to a trot before the pale pegasus danced to a stop nearby. “Good evening, Voodoo! It’s so good to see you again.” Warmth and sincerity in each syllable - moving to bump her nose to his in greeting (though watchful for any sign such a movement would be unwelcome). She would respect his space but it would not lessen her joy at seeing him again. Hemlock, for his part, stayed buried beneath the feathers of her folded wings - black eyes peering out distrustfully at this new stranger.

A quick glance with Alysanne’s summer-green eyes was enough to realize the delightful little fox she had met in the caves was not nearby. “Where is little Ouija? You are both well, I hope?”

@[Voodoo]
everybody heals with love
Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Voodoo
i'm so happy 'cause today i found my friends
they're in my head

Gloomy eyes had finally stopped short to the left of the crescent moon, watching a star sit and stare back at you, twinkling every few seconds to remind you that it has long before died, and you are in fact watching the show from trillions of miles away. Tight lips purse and dual colored ears tilt back sadly at the idea of a long and painful death; The gods are cruel we whimper from the back of your mind, laying out on our backs and watching the stars with you. Just as each ear turns backward, the faintest clap of hooves against hard sand causes your body to tense up, nostrils fluttering with a sharp snort. All at once, your skull raises higher into the air and your snout tucks into your chest, hind quarters tightening up in order to launch yourself away if the disembodied hooves find their way to you.

Only a couple of very quick seconds flash by your eyes before a painted body is visible in the distance, large wings folded in tightly at the stranger's sides as they move toward you quickly. Midas? we wonder for you, sitting up to watch the show play out. Too big to be Midas. He's a short little fucker one of us states, the rest of us falling into a round of laughter. Something is familiar about the body that you see burling toward you, and finally it clicks, and the mare is slowing down to come toward you. Alysanne one of us mumbles, the laughter faltering finally.

A warm greeting calls out toward you and your muscles loosen slowly, shoulders and legs still stiff even though your head drops back to a little higher than your shoulders. Red-dipped ears flick forward one at a time, the stiffest of smiles crawling onto your lips. "Alysanne-" you begin only to be cut off by the softest bump of a onyx nose. Your eyes grow large and you feel your cheeks flush; thankfully they're hidden under dark fur, otherwise you'd look foolish. A nervous laugh racks your body and you softly nudge back, pulling your body away with a small step afterword. "You-you too." you stammer. Fucking idiot we simply cackle.

Your eyes fall from the wintergreen gaze of your acquaintance, looking for guidance or even perhaps a little bit of freedom while Ouija acts adorable.. but she's not here, so you have to look back up to Aly with empty eyes. The same nervous smile still settles on your ruby lips, and her next question allows you to let out a hot breath. "Oh no, no she's okay! We're both okay." Your heart leaps at the thought of the kit catching a sickness or being not well. The small canine seems to act as if she is invincible. "She stayed back, she's been pretty tired." You finally explain, your gravely voice soft at the idea of your bonded.

The presence of Aly allows you to remember the day that the iridescent egg had finally shattered and allowed you to be happy again; the ball of white fur with big black eyes had changed your life completely. You remember the dull pain of depression as it soaked into your very bones, the darkness sweeping over your face and suffocating you out from reality.. turning everything into a heap of loss and pity. We yawn, shaking you back into reality where you are just standing quietly with a smirk on your face and your ears perked forward, waiting for Alysanne to say something sweet and entertaining.

Tagged: @[Alysanne]

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Alysanne
Though still brimming with energy on the starlit night, Alysanne calmed in the presence of a familiar face - the promise of catching up and a conversation providing a similar high to the one she had been chasing with the waves and pounding of her hooves.

Relief was obvious in her voice and expression when her fears proved unfounded - both dear Voodoo and sweet Ouija were well! It was fantastic news. “Oh thank goodness! I am so glad to hear you’re doing well, if a bit tired.” It was the middle of the night, after all! Her own companion had been asleep as well but he was still so young, the idea of leaving him behind tugged at her heart too much to even consider. Though she did not think it was lack of love that influenced Voodoo to not disturb the sleeping fox - quite the opposite, really.

“What brings you out here tonight? I was just stretching my legs - sleep seems to be avoiding me and I thought a bit of a run might help.” The itch to stretch them further had not quite left, though it was easily put aside in the favour of company - at least while he was willing to tolerate her present. She rather hoped she had not interrupted anything - perhaps a deep thought or two that was sinking back into the ocean.

It was at this point that Hemlock dislodged himself from his hiding spot and flew up to perch on Alysanne’s head where his keen owl eyes locked on Voodoo with what would be an intimidating glare if it were not coming from a fledgling owl that was just shy of half a foot in length. The movement reminded her that he hadn’t been around the last time they chatted, how silly of her to forget! “Oh! And guess what I found not long after we all returned to the surface. Just over there, actually!” It was a shame that Ouija wasn’t here to meet Hemlock, but surely they would get another chance. He had seemed to take so readily to Imogen, she imagined the same would be said of Voodoo’s bright-eyed pup. “His name’s Hemlock.”

@[Voodoo]
Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Voodoo
they're in my head

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Alysanne
The chuckle from Voodoo caused Alysanne to smile - he was so quiet, any such reaction was treasured - but it had a reverse effect on her companion. Hemlock did not find it so wonderful to hear that soft chuckle and see those small smiles. He puffed right up as the stallion went to sniff at him and though there was plenty of distance - the fledgling flapped his wings and struck out with his beak to make sure that distance was maintained. The pegasus, as you might expect, was absolutely horrified by this reaction. “Hemlock! Behave. Voodoo is a dear friend.” She chided the owl, earning an indignant hoot as he turned his back and clamoured down her mane to return to a sleeping spot in her back. Not that he would find sleep again, but he would pretend - he would ignore her for a little while for siding with someone else. Siding with a big oaf of a horse over an adorable little bird. “I apologize, he’s a little protective for such a little owl.”

Cute as a button but quite the little temper. Thankfully he wasn’t a misbehaving dragon like Valiance, with a whole host of claws and dangerous features. Those talons stung a little when he wasn’t careful and gripped her skin instead of her mane, but on the whole it wasn’t so bad. She could not begrudge him those little wounds and the little scars that would result. Not when she had been given a gift like this bond, filling at least some of the hole left by not having her son or sister close.

Now that it was determined that they hadn’t interrupted anything she had a proposition for her friend. Something Hemlock would not be overly fond of but he was mad at them anyway. He could find a nice poplar branch to cool off on for a little while. Though the black and red stallion seemed distracted, Alysanne was reluctant to leave him to his thoughts so soon. There were questions, dozens of them, bouncing around her mind - they knew so little of each other - but there was one that kept popping up more than the others. “What do you say, Voodoo. Want to run with me? It’s a brilliant night for a race.”

The restless feeling has not ceased and she could dance right here on the spot - sweet, graceful movements beneath the starlight - if other options were not available.

@[Voodoo]
Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo
they're in my head

Dull eyes watch the small raptor as a bloodied snout nears his small body, ears tilted forward hopefully as the space closes; the bird -completely unimpressed with the move- ruffles up and snaps at you with narrowed eyes. Black eyelids slide wide open and your nose pulls down quickly, nearly smacking the painted mare in the face. Unwelcomed, you take a quick step back, opening up the short amount of space between the three of you immediately. Wild eyes watch the young bird with a sort of astounded stare, curious as to why the creature could have such a bad attitude toward someone he didn't yet know; as far as you were aware, companions were supposed to be curious and bright, right? Only your stupid mutt one of us grumbles, And that's because she doesn't have a god damn brain in her head to tell her otherwise! We erupt in laughter, slapping our knees and holding our pot bellies.

The soft chimes of Alysanne's shocked yet gentle voice string together what you believe is a scolding toward the agitated bird, glossed eyes dropping to your friend's face once more. "Hemlock!" She cried, causing a small grin to spread across your rough lips when the tender-hearted female referred to you as "a dear friend." A dear friend? Your mind tries to calculate how many would actually consider you a "dear friend," pulling only three faces up: sweet Alysanne of course, tender Africa, and -even if you had only met a few times- the strong-smelling, loud, and lady-killing Rostislav. The three faces are plenty more than enough to comfort a lonely heart when you may find any uncertainty in life. An apology brings your attention back into the present, dark lids blinking slowly over foggy eyes before your are able to find yourself fully aware again.

Your face shakes back and forth, the warmth of a forgiving smile still arching maroon lips upward. "Don't worry, he's just, doing his job." you chuckle softly with the last few words, watching the bird turn around and find his way down Aly's dark mane like a grumpy toddler headed to their room after being told "no." Only a couple of seconds pass with a comfortable silence stirring between you and she, the rumbling waters in the distance growing louder in your ears, letting you know that it is still there. With the raptor tucked away in his little cove, the emerald-eyed mare proposes a playful race; something that you just can't turn down tonight. "I can't say no." the smile falls to a mysterious grin, ears swiveling backward in a playful manner.

Over the few years of your stay in Helovia, you've always wondered how often a pegasus would actually enjoy going for a run when they could just find their way over the earth from the skies. What does the wind feel like underneath those long feathers, do the clouds taste any different from the air, are their lungs healthier than an earth-bound's body? With these questions bouncing around in your skull, we try to chatter over them and remind you of how foul the winged creatures can be, but the interest that you have been putting into the other species' lifestyles is much easier to focus on than us. At the point of agreement, your legs begin to grow antsy once more, the need to stretch out and run and buck and throw your face into the air is back; they begin to shift below you eagerly, the sand below all four feet being churned up and creating a wide divot.

Ooc: Well, I accidently saved the last post instead of canceling when I snagged the code from it.. So, good job me. >_>

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Alysanne
Knowing that Hemlock was just doing his job did not soothe any of her worries, though she appreciated that Voodoo wasn’t incredibly offended by the actions of the small owl (who grumbled in his spot under her wings when he was mentioned). Thank goodness! At least he wasn’t as pushy as some of the companions she had seen before, at least he didn’t really try to do some harm.

That smile on her face shone all the brighter as he accepted her proposition. “Perfect answer.” She could not even remember the last time she had a friendly race with someone - she imagined it would be so much easier without wings affecting her aerodynamics. It happened more than once where the wind would get caught in one and cause it to expand, slowing her down considerably as it acted as a parachute. But racing on four legs was just so much more satisfying than flying.

Perhaps because she was just so much more graceful on her hooves than she was on her wings.

Hemlock, in a huff, took off from her back and resolved to go hunting or to simply find a nice tree branch to sulk while the others were having fun. Perhaps he would join them, Alysanne rather hoped he would. She whickered softly to him, promising that she would return, but her legs needed to be stretched and what better way than down a beach with a beloved friend? The little owl would understand that eventually, once he realized Voodoo was no threat. He seemed to be getting more and more defensive, especially around males. Perhaps one day when they could speak to each other she would figure out just what was going on in that funny little brain of his.

After ensuring that she was not leaving her bonded in a state of distress she turned back to Voodoo - still feeling alight with the stars and the crisp scent of the ocean around them. It was perfect, everything was perfect. She reached out once more to touch him softly on the shoulder as she readied herself - green eyes focusing on him as she spoke excitedly. “Let’s go.” And then she leapt forward, dancing a couple trotting steps as she made sure that she was being accompanied. Once ensuring that he would come along, her wings flattened against her sides as tightly as they would go and her black and white legs picked up a fast gait with ease. A delighted whinny escaped her as they moved down the beach - everything about this night was turning out just wonderfully.

@[Voodoo]
Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
made by the lovely tamme

Voodoo
they're in my head

It seemed that the smile never really left Alysanne's face, doesn't it? The brightness behind those jade eyes always danced, full of what you could read as curiosity and utter enjoyment in every second of life. The idea of constant bliss sounds amazing, but you couldn't bear to believe that it was true, because in us all -deep down sometimes- there is a weakened string and some unresolved stories. Regardless, Aly is a happy mare, and she seems to pass on the emotions like a wicked disease.

"Perfect answer." The fluffy bird bats his downy-feathered wings, setting off of her back and into the darkness of the night with a begrudging attitude, That's probably just you thinking that, you twat we scowl, even though we strongly dislike the tiny raptor already. Your legs ache and cry to move, but you wait for your friend to begin the race against the night out of common courtesy; her body begins to bounce and play just as yours had while you were alone. The moon curved off of her bi-colored body in glinting streaks, the metal chain loosely dangling from her forehead catching the light with grace.

From inside your skull, we can feel your heart thrumming wildly, but we cannot tell whether it's over this happy, go-get-it female or just the fact that you're slowly preparing for a run. We watch with an annoyed scowl, your eyes finding themselves on the now bolting female rather than the ground. The now BOLTING female! we cough, reminding you to get going before she leaves you behind. Murky eyes lift from their day-dreamy stare, sand being tossed away in large and small clots alike as Alysanne begins to take off down the beach.

Suddenly unprepared, a small rear is in order to help you jump into a gallop; your back haunches bunch neatly before your thin body is raised a few feet off of the wet sand, fore legs barely tucking before you push off with your back. A few strides before you, the Paint lets out a charming whinny, your ears pulling forward in a curious and satisfied manner. Your long legs begin to stretch and reach further, your blood already pumping at a quick rate as the two of you move down the beach in the night.

From the distance, the water still rolls hungrily, washing up further and further with each sneaky wave, pushing in small pieces of drift wood and lost shells. Wine-red nostrils flare wide, your neck curling to tuck your face inward as your curled tail twists and snaps behind you like a tattered flag in the wind.

Ooc: Holy super late reply! We can keep this going if you'd like, but if you're too busy now I understand. <3

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

Alysanne
Delightful laughter erupted her - so filled with joy that Voodoo was accompanying her - and it faded into a call as she challenged the night itself to join their race. He didn’t speak much, this dark friend of hers, but especially in this moment there were no words needed. Only action. Pulling back for a moment to let him catch up, Alysanne adjusted her gait so that each stretch of their legs was synchronized - forgetting the purpose of a ‘race’ all together and simply just letting herself enjoy the feeling of his company next to her.

Perhaps her dear unicorn friend did not have wings but they could still fly together here tonight.

The troubles that had been keeping her awake seemed to fade away with every step - abandoned behind in a world that did not exist in that moment. Instead it was just them, just this beach and the soft sound of their hooves as they pounded against the sand. Laughter kept bubbling up in Alysanne, so overcome with joy. Perhaps she was overcompensating - laughing through the pain that had been plaguing her lately - but it didn’t feel that way. She felt light and wondered if it were possible to always feel like this.

She lost herself in rhythmic movements until she returned to the present, reawakening from the trance. She kept Voodoo in her sights always, whether he allowed her to stay beside him or whether he surged ahead of her, knowing that this run would have felt empty, even in the company of the stars, without him. Without her friend.

Quickly, she reached out to touch him as they run again - no more than a brush on his shoulder if contact was made - and there was a smile that accompanied it that is soft despite how wired she felt. Soft and special, green eyes finding his for a moment before she stretched her legs and picks up speed. Wanting to run until she was exhausted from joy, wanting to run until everything was okay.

Image Credit
table by Sevin <3

@[Voodoo]
made by the lovely tamme