the Rift

An Outcast's Light Heart

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei

Song For this Post: "Peace" - By Apocalyptica

A light mist floated loftily in the cool morning air, Rei glided through it quickly blinking her eyes as the water droplets clung to her face. Underneath the clean smell of the mist the crisp smell of heavy rain loomed. Rei gently angled herself to the ground and tipped her heavily feathered wings towards her sides snorting at the thrill of plummeting towards the ground. Once she was nearing the level of the lower tree branches she spread her wings widely using them like sails.

Rei hit the ground running and pulled her wings close to her. She shivered as she felt her damp feathers brush smoothly against her sides. The pegasus slowed her pace to a trot once she stepped under the canopy of the trees.

She wished to immerse herself in the forest. Yearning to find release in the lush green that enveloped her. Rei's ears rotated, quickly flicking from one direction to the next listening to the song of the forest and its inhabitants.

Her father's ears laid back against his head, while the wind lashed at his mane. His normally gentle eyes were filled with rage and were as dark as the ominous storm clouds drawing upon the group of pegasi.

"What of it?" he screamed. Rei took involuntary steps back clutching at the the flicker of an apologetic look that she glimpsed in his eyes when he looked her way. Praying that he would quit this.

"You know your place Herlov," the other stallion's voice was collected but contained a deadly dose of contempt. "Act accordingly to your position or accept the consequences."

Still listening to the sounds, but with a mellowed out mood the pegasus spread a wing and began to preen her feathers. A nest neatly tucked away in between a few lower reaching tree branches caught her eye as she was reaching her neck out to straighten an out of place feather.

Rei slowly walked towards the nesting site quietly placing each foot forward until she could crane her neck to see if the nest was bare.

"What will you do?" Her father was looming in front of her within a few strides; too quick for the other stallion to stop him. With barely a moment's hesitation he smudged away the black paint that Rei and her mother had carefully applied that morning. "Will you execute the punishment before my daughter?"

The only sound left in the field was the sound of the wailing wind.

Peering curiously over the rim of the nest Rei teetered, trying to keep her balance while standing on the tips of her hooves. Her feelings towards the nest that she discovered to be empty were just as unbalanced. She had hoped to see wide eyed nestlings peering back at her. With a slight pout on her face Rei momentarily turned from the nest.

Stunned eyes raked over Rei's body.

"How dare you try passing on a Spotted as a daughter of one with such stature as a full Solid?" The stallion was seething with anger.

In Lytninia the pegasi were divided into classes. Pure whites were the highest class, solid colors were middle class, and those with spots were the lowest class. It was said that one should be as a painting, with sure steady strokes. A white was like a blank canvas filled with potential, a solid was one where the artist had a clear image in mind and swept the brush confidently, while a spotted was like a painting where the artist was shaky handed and fickle.

Her father, Herlov, was a few spot stallion. With only a few visible spots he was permitted to work as a guard to a high ranking filly, Leridana. The pay for such an important job was much better than his work in the fields. The stallion's previous back breaking work had made him durable and strong, he was able to climb the ranks much quicker than the other guards who were typically Solids with too many white markings.

Herlov grew close to the family of the glinting black filly that he guarded. Not only did he look after Leridana's safety but he also sparred with the family's young son teaching him to fight. The two fell in love and Leridana became pregnant with his foal.

After the initial panic the two shared they decided to keep it secret for as long as possible then once the foal was born they decided they would paint it with coal black paint in order to give it a chance at a better life. A foal of mixed heritage would never be accepted by the Solids nor the Spotteds.

Rei clamped her eyes shut and braced her feet apart. Trying to block out his look filled with loathing while preparing herself for the coming blows.

Rei felt the strike coming before it hit. Against her own will her eyes opened in time for her to watch the hoof slam into her chest.

Fanning her wing out she plucked the bothersome feather out and after standing as tall as she possibly could she came back to the nest and gingerly placed it in the well worn bottom made of carefully entwined twigs.

"Pardon the phrase, but that certainly kills two birds with one stone." She chuckled at her pun.

With a voice that was so terribly out of tune that it would be more likely to keep the birds away than draw them back Rei sang the traditional song of welcoming.

"Enough, Cineron!" Her mother's ebony frame lurched towards the stallion that had lashed out. She fearlessly bared her teeth at the much larger pegasi before arching her neck and posing herself as regally as the royalty that she was. Stepping in front of them Herlov spread his wings out to their full span, shielding the mother and child.

"But my l-la-lady!" the stallion that she called Cineron stuttered while craning his neck trying to see over her father's imposing figure. Rei laughed at the stallion's efforts, her father briefly looked back at her and winked. Although his movements were light,a burning rage showed itself in his eyes.."This lowly spotted is a disgrace to your family line."

Rei's mother watched the exchange between her daughter and her mate with a glimmer of a smile on her face. Whenever Herlov looked at her she couldn't hold his gaze. What would happen to her family? "Stand down. Rei is my daughter. I have claimed Herlov as my mate. Strike my daughter again and you will pay dearly."

A bittersweet smile graced her lips as she finished; remembering the enchanting singing voice of her mother. Back home placing the feather and singing the song was a custom. Anytime a nest was spotted empty a feather was placed in the nest as a symbol of the hopes that the birds returned safely.

"He cannot be! She cannot be yours. She is an abomination. A mix of a Solid and a Spotted is wrong!"

"Hold your tongue!" An older grey stallion strided towards the group. "Cineron take your leave, not a word of this to another soul. Or else I will make sure that your soul departs from that sickening body of yours."

After Cineron had left the stallion who had sent him away with a booming voice only sounded old and tired. He moved as if his body weighed more than what he could carry as he turned to Rei's mother, "You do know what must happen next."

Rei laid down under the tree where the nest lay safely nestled on the swaying branch. She rested her head between her forelegs and drifted to sleep; wistfully dreaming of the pair of birds that flew home every year to raise their young.

"Father!"

"Leridana, I have no choice in the matter. Cineron has taken the fight with Herlov personally. He will not let it go. Our only chance of being able to protect your Rei from the brutality of this land is to enact repercussions towards Herlov in order to satisfy Cineron and the lust for his so called 'justice'. he turned to Herlov,"I have come to love you as my own son so I cannot bear to enact the traditional punishment. Instead you will be exiled."

"Then we can all go! It is what this fight originated from. Cineron eavesdropped on our future plans for leaving Lytninia. Herlov, Rei, and I can disappear from this Godforsaken place and you can tell the brutes whatever you wish about our disappearance."

"Leri-Leridana," Rei's father's voice broke and it took two attempts to get her mother's name out clearly, after clearing his throat he continued "Rei is still too young for a long journey, we don't know what we would face. No one knows what is beyond Lytninia. Our plans were meant for a year or two from now."

Skarian was ruffled by his daughter's plans of running away although he understood her reasoning. His mate had died whenever Leridanna was young, he would have given anything for her to have stayed at his side. The stallion wished he could do more for his daughter. Swallowing all of the words that he yearned to say instead he pressed forward, "You should say your goodbyes now Herlov, the sooner you leave the better. Heaven knows we could have a riot on our hands if Cineron doesn't control himself. I will take Rei with me so that you two can have a moment together."

Herlov briskly turned to his daughter, softening whenever he was only looking at her. "Rei I am so sorry. I just, I couldn't. I could not handle keeping my love for you or your mother secret any longer. You understand don't you?" How had her life crumbled in a day's time? "Listen to me. I have heard of a land far away where your color has nothing to do with your standing. Anyone can be anything they wish if they have the drive. It could all be a fairy-tale woven together by those dreaming of better but don't be sad for today's events. I will turn this around, I will find it if it exists. I will return for you and your mother as soon as I can." His voice broke with emotion and he pulled her to him hugging her close.

"I love you dad." Rei was too overcome to leave her father with a grand farewell. Although from the mournful smile that lit his face she knew that she had said the right words.

Rei then followed her grandfather home, continuously looking back over her shoulder, leaving her mother and father to their last moments together.

"A year later, this is where the journey begins. I will find him, and we will find our happiness." When Rei stood she had the posture of one who had no doubt in what was to come.

As if an omen of the future a pair of birds now sat on the branch above where the nest rested began singing their lighthearted song. Looking up at the birds she grinned. Although her's was a heart of an outcast, it was light.

Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

An eerie silence seemed suspended through the ancient Threshold forest and it caused the hair to prickle along the length of the one-winged traveller’s spine. A mist too, low cloud cover perhaps, pregnant with rare summer rain was draped between the whiskered arms of the trees, and combined they created a rather unsettling ambience which Africa had only witnessed once or twice over the many years spent trawling for life there. She walked slowly through the strange, veiled world which seemed now so unfamiliar, choosing subconsciously to place each hoof upon the wiry tufts of grass foolhardy enough to set root between the hungry jaws of the ragged old redwoods. She was able to pass by skilfully quiet, and with only the muffled whisper of her breathing to signify her presence should any other be listening carefully enough.

Dawn broke overhead, flimsy rays of weak sunlight dribbling through the sparse canopy to illuminate the billowy fog; to begin the process of burning it way. The Starry-Eyed favoured the hours of light far above those of the night (quite unlike her star-spangled, unlikely companion), and felt a great warmth spread through her core. It did not matter that the sun had barely risen, nor that its fingers were still devoid of any heat; the spiritual young creature delighted humbly in his presence though, believing wholeheartedly that the God of the Sun was watching. As the light grew ever brighter around her, Africa’s stride lengthened and her neck arched with the grace of stirring confidence; but she was careful all the while, because villainous folk still scavenged through these part, hunting the weak minded and oblivious. She had encountered much suffering at the hand of the wicked and sought with eagerly searching eyes, to find any straying blindly through these parts.

Through the tangled boughs above, Silas swooped ahead of his beloved searching also, with eyes far sharper than those pearly yellow pools set upon her pale feminine face. He posed as the lookout naturally, the mare’s own private guardian; confidant and soul mate. They traversed the world of Helovia united, tied together not only by the manner of their bond, but also by the experiences shared, the devoted companionship shown over the seasons past. The zephyr rarely parted from her side; he knew the kindly, placid nature of her soul made her vulnerable- he had seen it, witnessed them hunting her. As he flew vigilantly through the cool, still morning air, the brilliant chime of an avian couple snared his attention. So quiet was the entire forest, that he could not help but be drawn to their sound (not for pleasure, his type roamed in alone; they were habitually a shy species). Even the cicadas thrumming chorus was yet to begin, so he came upon their roost easily, like a bat upon a moth fluttering.

Africa followed, intrigued also by the sheer joy she perceived to lace the bird’s song. Her graceful grey form rolled effortlessly between the trees, the rhythm of her gait matching often the tune as it continued to flood the forest around her. It did not take her long to locate the pair warbling, their nest, the tree; the stranger gazing up at them from below. “Hi there...” She cooed tenderly, noting instantly the preoccupied grin upon the painted mare’s pink-stained lips. “Their song is beautiful, I came to listen.” Gingerly she slid closer, though not enough to breach the personal space of the other. With long coal ears fixed towards the birds above, Africa settled herself with also a small smile etched into her modest expression.

Image Credits | Table by SilkRapture

Rei

Rei turned to face the owner of the gentle voice that had a lilting musical quality to it. It was a voice that you wished to keep talking in order to listen, while you watch the speaker weave their sentences together, enraptured in their musical words.

"It is beautiful isn't it?" Turning back to the nest she continued talking, "It is heartwarming to think that this same pair has came back to this place every year to raise their young. In such a troubling world they are so delighted at just being together. It makes me wonder if the world is really as bad as how we sometimes view it."

A blush spread against her spotted cheeks; she realized that she had said quite a mouthful whenever the other mare had came with the intent to listen to the birds' song.

Rei quietened and listened to the bird's voices rising and falling in their simple although seemingly complex duet. Wasn't most of life like that? Simple; if you had someone at your side.

Whenever Rei turned a year old she was to be presented to the court of the Pure Whites. The silky white horses already considered the events whenever they had to mix with Solids, Painteds, and Spotteds underneath of them and Rei had been incredibly nervous. Her father had gently brushed his wing across her back in a gentle form of encouragement.

"Are you ready Rei?" the fewspot stallion had tenderly guided his daughter towards the entrance of the grand field.

"Ready to shove off, Herlov."

"That's my girl! Clever enough to rhyme my name with something and also clever enough to somehow impress these white," he paused to think of something to rhyme with white.

"Spites!" Rei had delightfully snickered.

She still had not forgotten the sound of her father's laugh as it rumbled deep from his stomach.

She sighed wondering if they would ever take the world on side by side again. Now she was nervous venturing into this new land, speaking with those she had never met before. It would be a great time for his warm presence. Realizing she was probably making an unpleasant face she shook herself as if freeing herself from the heavy emotions. "Let's shove off Herlov." she murmured quietly to herself.

"I am Rei," she dipped her head to the other pegasus "And I apparently talk to much. You may have came to listen to the birds but it seems as if you may listen to me just as much. Possibly even more." She laughed lightly poking fun at herself. "I didn't even hear you coming, you must be familiar with the area. I have been louder crashing through here than what I would care to admit."

The other's appearance was one that told of its many adventures. Several feathers that didn't appear to be her own were woven into the mare's mane. Rei wondered what stories made the items dear enough for them to have been placed on show. She took to quietly creating her own marvelous stories as to how the other pegasus came across the feathers. Rei paid no mind to dreaming up the story behind the missing wing. That was a nightmare.

"You seem like one that could tell many stories about the places you have seen, and the things that you have done. What is your favorite part of this place?" She was thrilled to find herself wherever it was. It was the first time that she had spoken to anyone else since leaving Lytninia. Rei had flown over oceans, and stumbled blindly through deserts; but this was the first place that showed promise."Is he with you?" She felt rather unobservant having just noticed the strange bird that must have came around the same time as the pegasus. Rei marveled at his color as he shifted she glimpsed the brilliant purple shades mixed into his midnight colored plumage.

Magic usage is okay.

Deceased

The small, elegant stranger turned her refined black-speckled skull down from the branch above to speak, and Africa drew her softly gaze away also, to listen. The tone of the other held a familiar beauty, a tranquillity that had not been so prevalent across her own tongue for many years. Pastel eyes watched quietly the rolling lips of the other as she described her unique perspective of the coupled bird’s relationship, though they were dulled a little by the ethereal mist still gliding about the forest floor. She appreciated what was said, and offered an amiable grin in conjunction with her bouncing, flame topped face.

A brooding silence overcame the stranger and the dappled one let her eyes saunter back into the canopy, grazing the green-whiskered branches, admiring the steadfastness of the old trees which seemed so resilient to any weather cast down upon them. Much like the birds still singing jovially through the dawn-lit forest; their strength seemed never to pale. Until the other spoke again, Africa held her tongue respectfully. The pensive sigh did not pass unnoticed however, and she could not help but wonder what thoughts so occupied the dainty winged horse’s mind. All who stumbled upon this doorstep into Helovia seemed racked by the toils of their past; she was rarely surprised with a heart not burdened by one thing or another.

Nevertheless, the one-winged was not so narrow-minded to presume the same for this sweet spoken mare who by then was muttering something incomprehensible beneath her breath. The murmur pulled Africa’s attention down from the canopy, and as Rei introduced herself pleasantly, the grey too dipped her own benevolently expressed face. Not for one second did she agree that the spotted one had rambled; nothing mentioned was distastefully, thus she was more than happy to listen as long as necessary. “I’m Africa,” she answered quickly and amiably after, “...this forest is practically my second home.” Softly she laughed, but even despite that breath-like grace of her voice, an effortless optimism was portrayed.

A moment or so swung by, and Rei spoke again. Already the air was starting to dry and the light to expand, though Africa’s puddle coat was quite cool and damp. The black and white mare’s observation was a curious one that caused the grey to pause, and think, to consider those failures and grievances that spread so grimly through her past; through her time in Helovia. Of course her experiences weren’t all awful... “My favourite part?” She began, closing her eyes trustingly, slipping back through the myriad events which had wrought her character today and where exactly they had taken place. “The place where I live, Dragon’s Throat, is rich with culture and diversity; magic and majesty. It is a realm of unfathomable beauty, both ferocious and fair. You are standing in Helovia, Rei. Welcome.”

The melodious note of her words faded through the light passing of breeze, and the mist swirled playfully against its stroke. Patient eyes roved upwards as the flecked mare’s chocolate gaze did, finding her companion settled and watching, a peaceable distance from the birds (which had by then fallen quiet to preen their feathers in the soft light). His sharp, aloof glare shed unremittingly down and Africa chuckled affectionately. “Yes... he is Silas.”

Rei

"Africa? I like it! Feels just right whenever it rolls from your tongue. It sounds as if someone that would be sweet but also as strong as an ox." Rei hoped she had pegged the mare correctly, in this new land it was comforting to find one that she thought she could grow to call a friend. "I think that it must suit you rather well." She tossed her forelock from in front of her eyes and grinned at the other mare, hoping that her words sounded as sincere as they were and not as if she was merely being flattering.

"Well there is no place like home, your heart must be ready to burst at the seams at being blessed with two beautiful homes. Dragon's Throat is quite a name for a place! It just breathes of excitement." Rei winked at Africa, she had a weakness for puns. Any pun at all; from Rei's lips came the good, the bad, and the ugly. Although she finds them all admirably clever.

Seeing the other pegasus consider her questions so thoughtfully made Rei even more curious for the answer and it hadn't disappointed her. Someone's favorite things said a lot of things about their character. Her grandfather's most treasured possession was an old tattered book where he had learned the art of writing. Through partially extending his wing he was able to dip a feather into ink and then brush it across a page in a delicate dance. One afternoon after complaining about being bored he had began teaching her the lost art. After a few lessons and after a bit of listening to Rei's complaints over how difficult it was to learn he had shown her the well worn book. Flipping through it with his nose he talked to her between the turning of the pages. 'Now remember Rei,' swish, 'it is not the steps' swish, 'that you should be concerned with but instead,' swish, 'keep in mind the journey.'. With his flipping of the pages Rei had watched his penmanship grow from what was possibly even worse than hers to that of a confident artist. 'You can witness your own growth through writing. Thus making it one of the most personal art forms. It is why it is my favorite thing to do. I would love it if we could continue doing it together. And they did, she couldn't say no to the gentle eyes that smiled down upon her. From then on her favorite question to ask someone was what their favorite thing about something was. She knew the fascinating replies that the question could leave her with.

It warmed her heart to observe the bond between Silas and Africa. Rei could feel the affectionate laugh that bubbled from Africa's lips dancing lightly around her. "How did such a pair end up so closely bonded?" She hadn't meant to voice the question out-loud she had thought of the question so hard that it had formed itself upon her lips on its own accord. Having asked the question her ears were now two black pinpoints flagging her interest while she eagerly awaited to hear how the creatures both winged, but vastly different had found themselves together.

After a break in their conversation Rei was left to think it all back over picking apart the most interesting moments to keep close in her memory. Minutes passed before she abruptly broke the quiet. "The more that I think of it the more that I wish to see a place that has earned the name Dragon's Throat. Would it be too forward of me to ask you to show it to me?" Rei stumbled over her words while asking the other mare to take her home with her. "I mean only if you are heading that way." She swatted her tail at imaginary flies that really weren't there to bother her. Instead only being irritated with herself for fumbling all over the place.

Magic usage is okay.

Deceased

Cheerfully she laughed at the painted Pegasus’ bright attitude; those with such light heartedness were few and far between these days and she found such very endearing. Discreetly she rolled Africa off her own tongue, curious to note whether Rei’s remark held any truth. The grey naturally spoke with such clumsy casualness that she’d never actually paused to ponder the phonetics of what she was saying. Af-ri-ca, A-frica... she tested, stiffening suddenly when she noticed her own distraction. In reality, she was nearly as strong as the birds nesting by their heads- not nearly as powerful as her name apparently insinuated; quietly though she smiled at the thoughtful suggestion and nodded. Perhaps there would be time in the future when they could really get to know one another.

Quickly, before the spotted mare began to speak again, Africa said, “Rei too is a lovely name; it has a fresh sound, clean and bright, much like your outlook?” It was part question, some compliment, mostly innocent observation, and her pretty pale face slipped a little to the side as her kindly gaze travelled between the glossy chocolate pools of the other; dawn light seeping to lighten their midst.

Rei continued, not for one second lost for words and it soothed Africa’s busy mind all the more. She scoffed well-naturedly as the other punned, appreciating her sense of humour- which was another quality not often seen throughout the sombre and commonly wicked world of Helovia. Whiskery chin lifted high as dull grey lips peeled into a grin, away from her pearly white teeth.

It was in the next few moments that Africa had deliberated at length over the question posed by her company. After she’d replied- indicating that her favourite aspect in all of the wild country surrounding was Dragon’s Throat and also introduced Silas, the black and white asked still further, seemingly curious about the bond shared. “It’s a very long story,” she began decorously. They had been bonded for nearly a year now, and often she overlooked just how special their relationship might have appeared to those who had not yet discovered their own.

“We met many seasons ago in the north (carefully she skipped the manner of their uniting; Rei was quite new to the land and the Starry-Eyed wanted not to rattle her), Silas came out of nowhere to be honest, and we have not truly been apart since. My heart aches when he leaves to patrol or forage, like it might burst or break if he strays too far. Perhaps he feels the same?” Enquiringly her doting eyes caressed his small frame. The zephyr puffed out his feathers unenthusiastically, not the slightest bit interested in whatever they were garbling about. He could not understand their tongue, but should he have sought to draw from her mind the basis of the conversation, he would have understood. But he had no desire to follow.

Africa shrugged coolly, all too aware of his rather aloof nature, “He is not much of a conversationalist...” she joked, lowering her focus again. The Starry-Eyed had never known her companion had hatched from the very egg captured from a rare Basilisk in the Deep Forest. She had been so bitterly disappointed when she'd returned after her incarceration to find the treasure broken and scattered all around the sandy floor of her nest.

For a moment they both paused, and the grey mare glanced to watch the birds again. One had slipped unnoticed from their company, the other now sat comfortably in the intricately placed bed of sticks- she noticed too with quirked interest, that fine horse-hairs had been woven throughout. Amazing...

Suddenly Rei’s chirpy voice pierced the quiet and Africa smiled broadly. “Of Course!” she answered happily, unbothered by the eagerness tripping the expression of the other mare. “There’s no place like home.” Pale yellow eyes turned towards the south after offering affably her fluttering nostrils in traditional Pegasus salutation.

[Ooc:
O.o Rei’s writing ability could become the most epic addition to the herd! Writing letters could be her role or something if you wanted that? We can work with it IC when it comes up. I will start their thread in the Throat!]