the Rift

[OPEN] strangers make the best confidantes [Petra Welcoming]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Having stopped in the Thistle Meadow to allow Petra and herself to eat, Kahlua happily directed their travels towards the Edge now. Along the way, as they traveled, Kahlua turned the conversation away from the heavy, emotional chaos that been the bulk of their original meeting. Even if it had only been a moment of release, the queen felt a catharsis that had somewhat lightened her soul. Little did she know of the terror that was about to consume her, of the challenge that would await her, and of the snake that would came to haunt her day and night.

As they walked, Kahlua blabbed on about nothing of great importance but doing her best to explain the important information about the Edge. Kaj was the King. That the head medics were Alysanne and Resplendence, called Moon Doctors. Of their crafter Dragomir, the Glazier. Of the fact that their warriors had just finished a tournament and the generals would be named as soon as the chaos with Aurelia (the mare who had attacked the other herd, that Kahlua had been telling her about) was over. Of their spy Quilyan, who kept them safe. She also reiterated that the goal of the Edge was peace in Helovia, as it was so important to her. However, overall, she just tried to have light conversation and let Petra answer when she wanted. Getting to know Petra was great fun and Kahlua already knew that she would fit in well with all of the others.

As they finally came upon the border, Kahlua slowed and offered a half-smile. “Forgive our mess, the wall was shattered during a crisis that affected all of Helovia. We will be removing it soon.” The glass wall- her prison cell. She was not fond of the creation and wished it gone just as soon as Dragomir and the herd could repurpose it. The stallion already had great plans for it and she was glad to call him Glazier. He was a much better asset to the herd than she had ever been as crafter.

“Come on in. I hope you'll love it here as much as I do,” she added then, stepping through a particularly open place in the wall and whinnying out to her herd to see who would come greet Petra. For once, she almost felt like her old self again. Happy, go-lucky, content with life. It was a good feeling.

OOC| For anyone who might come, this is set before Aurelia's challenge :D
@[Petra]

Kahlua
THE SUNSHOWER

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Petra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Petra ate her fill in the delightful meadow that Kahlua brought them by. Even though on the brink of starvation, she had paced herself, not wanting to appear gluttonous. She felt ever more guilt with each mouthful but consciously pushed those thoughts out of her mind. I am to move forward now.

She also took a moment on their journey to bathe and right her appearance now that she had a companion. They had happened upon a body of water with good depth and a solid bank, much to her relief. She had dipped her hooves in rather gingerly at first and then finally allowed herself to feel comforted by the water's embrace. But only briefly as she needed to concentrate her efforts on removing the caked on layers of dirt and grime that also held in them her past misery and grief. She was happy to wash them away. Her bath revealed her previously hidden gleaming gold coat though hardship had taken its toll and it was not quite as shiny as it should have been. Her long masses of hair became untangled albeit not without some difficulty. Her ribs and hips still protruded as the last remaining outward evidence of her ordeal, but she would fill out in due course she was sure.

She was more than a little relieved when her companion turned their discussion away from the melancholic tone of their initial conversation. Petra was content to provide solace to those in need and indeed enjoyed being a sympathetic ear, but she needed to focus on happier trains of thought. I am to move forward now. It was her inner mantra. She kept a peaceful mien throughout the remainder of their journey, listening intently to what the young queen told her about the land she governed. It felt evident to Petra that Kahlua took a degree of pride in ruling the Edge, and made a point of peppering the conversation with polite questions allowing the mare to discuss further the thing she loved so much.

When they finally reached their destination, she took notice of the shattered glass wall. Her companion seemed somewhat perturbed by its presence. Alright, we will not make mention of the wall. Kahlua happily invited her into her home and called out to her herd. Petra was apprehensive, but she stood up straight and held her head high, as her mother had taught her, ready to begin the new, and hopefully happier, phase of her life.

Petra walks. Petra thinks. Petra talks.
Image Credits: swillowness.deviantart.com, almondjoyy5.deviantart.com. Manip by PinnacleStudios

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
RUSKE

Though my first several months on Helovia had seen me wandering its boundaries, I had kept close to the World’s Edge in the succeeding months. Duty, perhaps, kept me rooted – or a need for duty. Purpose. I was quite aware, despite my attempts at helping, that little of my effort was actually necessary. I felt sometimes as if I still moved downward, sliding back past myself and all my previous endeavors. I grew accustomed to moving forward, as if attempting to outrun my own thoughts – busying myself. The sound of Kahlua’s voice in the distance brought a prickle of excitement to mind, though I did not immediately fathom the reason for her call. Perhaps she merely wished for company; if nothing else, I would become a face well known to the queen. Hopefully, a face well-thought of, too.

I moved through the forest with a languid stride, familiar by now with the shape of the Edge. The call had come from somewhere near the border, in the gap between both sides of the shattered wall. It was without any sharp note of fear – instead gracious, joyful. I had come to associate such feelings with Kahlua, though I did not know much of her aside from that – she seemed to possess some zest for life, a brilliance I sorely lacked. Had always lacked. My eyes picked out the stark black and white of her frame from a distance, and lifting my shaggy head I answered back, my own voice rough with use and disuse, shivering from an ill-wrought chest. I slowed afterward to cough ungracefully, reminded of whatever ill still lingered in my lungs, scar tissue now, beyond the hope of healing.

“Kahlua!” I greeted her more formally when I drew near enough, my tail swishing absently against my hocks. Out of the trees, on the cleaner ground near the border, the sun beat unpleasantly over my dark skin – but I strove to appear cheerful. My problems were my own; I sought to leave them behind in the presence of others. With interest, then, I lifted my gaze to the stranger at Kahlua’s side: an equine, pale cream and black. I noted at first a quietude in her presence, as if she were shy – reserved or overwhelmed – though perhaps she only chose to keep her feelings close at hand, beyond my sight. I nodded to her regardless, curiosity blinking unguarded over her frame. “Have you brought someone new?” I spoke to Kahlua, though I gazed still at the strange mare. She was surprisingly clean, not a stain of dirt on her hide, though the prominent edges of bones shot through here and there, leaning up unpleasantly. I was reminded of my own condition upon entering the Edge; one ear twisted back as I frowned, though mildly. It was a look of contemplation rather than unhappiness.

“I am Ruske,” I introduced myself, “A nurse here in the Edge.” She carried no scent of the sea or the forest; I judged my first assumption correct. “Welcome. Have you been traveling long?”

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

Kahlua was used to the quiet manner of her companion. So many newcomers, it seemed, were so overwhelmed to have finally found a home or so tired from their long journey that they did little speaking. It was why Kahlua had taken it upon herself to take charge of their conversation on their way home. Not that she minded at all- the painted queen was naturally a social butterfly and an extrovert. Interacting with others recharged her batteries, gave her fuel to keep going through all the moments when she had to stand tall by herself.

After she called out, the queen turned to give a reassuring smile to her new friend and thought quietly for a moment. Ruske's call awakened her from her tired, syrupy thoughts and she whispered softly to Petra just before Ruske's arrival. “I don't need another friend that tells me what I want to hear... You can always speak freely in my presence.” For some reason, the painted queen found that she trusted this skinny stranger already. Perhaps because she was Kahlua and that was what she did, but perhaps also because Petra reminded the Sunshower so much of herself when she had arrived here. But her whispers were the truth. She needed more herd members like Eva, who were not afraid to tell her when she was being an idiot. Even if it hurt her feelings sometimes... it was for the best.

“My friend,” she smiled brightly, nodding to him. She had only met the stallion a few times, but like everyone else in her draconian woods (except maybe Aurelia) he gave her great pleasure. “This is Petra.” Nodding the pair inwards, Kahlua directed them all towards a section of shade where they could stand together. Although she had not noticed Ruske's discomfort, the hot sun on the black parts of her own pelt was uncomfortable in its own right. As the next question was not for her, but one that she was actually rather interested in the answer to, the queen turned herself towards the buckskin woman and awaited her answer.

@[Petra] @[Ruske]
OOC| To Petra, I'm sure you figured it out already, but we work on liquid time here so once you feel up to it you're more than welcome to have multiple threads. You're limited only by your time and ability to keep threads in some sort of chronological order (in your head, they can be whatever order you want in the boards) :D

Kahlua
THE SUNSHOWER

Unregistered

“I don't need another friend that tells me what I want to hear... You can always speak freely in my presence.”

Petra was momentarily startled out of her own head by the words whispered to her. She looked back at her companion in a brief, wide eyed glance, but then quickly regained her composure and snapped her head forward again. In that moment, she considered her well mannered exterior. It was not borne out of an insincere or duplicitous heart. Petra prided herself on offering an honest representation to one and all, albeit tinted with rose colored glasses. Kindness. Empathy. She had never met anyone who could not use both. She knew though that if she were being honest with herself that this served a double purpose. It allowed her to avoid and deny her own pain, something she had always sought to do.

Petra caught herself nervously pawing the ground with her front right hoof, dredging up an earthy smell. Stop it! she demanded, willing her leg to be still. It was a newly discovered tick that she rather wished would disappear. She planted her hoof firmly into the soil while continuing the frustrated echos in her head, hoping no one had sensed her apprehension.

Petra turned her head back ever so slightly in Kahlua's direction. The skinny mare offered a warm look and a small smile that she hoped conveyed her good intentions, but then focused her attention on the newcomer who had just emerged and introduced himself. A stallion: bay, roughly her height, but with a more robust frame, and topped off by a large black horn which looked particularly sharp. She nodded at him as she was introduced and appreciatively followed when her companion ushered the three of them to an area of cool shade. Petra's cream coat did not soak in the sun's radiant heat the way the queen's most likely did, but her masses of hair frequently produced a thermal effect which she was grateful for in any other season but this one.

“Welcome. Have you been traveling long?” Petra felt both sets of eyes on her. Of course, small talk. It was expected as part of introductions. She felt her hoof start it's familiar back and forth pattern, but again fixed its position in the ground. The long haired mare put on her most pleasant smile to reply. "I had been traveling on my own before this delightful creature came to my aid," she motioned to Kahlua with a gentle nod. "And you know when one travels on one's own it can be quite the task to keep track of the time. I do not think I could tell you if I was gone for two days or twenty." She let out a small laugh her in lilting contralto voice. "Time can slip right away from you when you are out and about all alone in the world." Petra paused. A small sigh escaped her, loaded with everything that would remain unspoken. Enough of unpleasant thoughts. "But you said you were a nurse? Healers were quite revered where I grew up. Tell me, are your skills needed here often? And what is your training like?" she inquired with bright, genuine curiosity.

[OOC: thanks! haha I'm definitely starting to see the liquid timey-ness]

Image Credits: swillowness.deviantart.com, almondjoyy5.deviantart.com. Manip by PinnacleStudios

Unregistered
RUSKE

“My friend.” Kahlua always spoke kindly. I wondered if she truly saw the world as she greeted it, or if she had some other reason for the brilliance of her disposition. But I knew too little of the queen to judge, and hardly cared enough to dwell on it. She introduced the dun mare at her side as Petra; I acknowledged with a nod. “Pleasure to meet you.” Not exactly true, but she had done nothing to annoy me, yet. Gratefully, I followed the two mares to a shadier spot. The relief overcame us all immediately, the darkness of spreading branches a haven from the beating sun. Lazily, my tail flicked out behind me – betraying a sort of nervous tension, curiosity maybe. I meant to practice diplomacy if I must live among such cheerful creatures, but I still wondered if I didn’t seem, perhaps – a little rusty. Or worse.

I looked to Petra for an answer to my question, though something about her struck me as odd. She was nervous, perhaps... Her forelimb moved as if to paw the ground, then stilled. When she did speak, it was with brilliance similar to Kahlua’s, but I couldn’t help wondering if at least some of that was affected, rather than genuine. In part, my suspicions roused in answer to her evasive statement. I, too, had traveled alone for some time, but I still possessed at least a rough idea of the distance and the time spent away. Indeed, when pressed for information on my journeys, I had given a similar answer to Evangeline upon my arrival in the World’s Edge. This pale mare piqued my curiosity, then, if nothing else. If she was hiding something, what had she to hide? And why? If she was not.... at least it gave her some illusion of intrigue.

She changed the subject soon afterward. With no reason to keep it grounded in matters of her time before Helovia, I nodded, though with some reluctance. “Fortunately, my skills have not been necessary yet. I’ve not been here very long, however.” For a moment I fell silent, the tips of my ears cocking back in a frown. What had my training been like? Desperation, exploration... It had been bloody and unpleasant, all things considered. I could almost remember the feel of mud on my legs, though often now it was a distant memory – something, at least, I could look upon with objectivity. I had made promises and broken them. I had become a better man in the process, I supposed, though recently I felt only fangless and ancient. “I think Kahlua could better explain the way healers are trained here. I got my start in a land far away, on the battlefield, though I have never fought, myself. Soldiers and peasants make for good practice, at least. No one ever really cares if they die. Not – that anyone I’ve cared for has died recently. It’s been some time... Hm.” Somehow the explanation had gotten away from me. With an exasperated grunt, I turned away, sinking further into a slouch. “I’m sure Kahlua’s told you our goal is one of peace,” I said at last. “Are you interested in healing?” Who wouldn’t be, after my stunning introduction to the art?

“Our Moon Doctor is called Resplendence – she oversees the healers here. And works mostly in herbs, I believe. It is important to know the common ones, at least.” Feeling I’d spoken enough, I fell silent, and wondered if there was a conversation I could manage to keep cheerful rather than macabre. My eyes ran over the bony frame of the mare before me, however, and I supposed life was quite macabre enough to prevent such a fact. Kahlua may be sunny; I was not. I had a quickly fading interest in ever pretending to be.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

Unregistered

Petra listened with polite interest while the stallion spoke, her ears alert and focused forwards. She could read a mix of emotions as he talked: a moment of pensiveness when his ears turned back, a disconcerted grunt, and wandering eyes and silence. The dark stranger seemed conflicted to Petra. Her empathic sensibilities and instinct to comfort reared their head, but she judged it best not to pursue a line of inquiry in that regard when they had only just been introduced. It would have been the height of rudeness, especially given the presence of other company. The lightly colored mare instead tucked the observation away to ponder on later and continued with the conversation at hand.

She visibly bristled at Ruske's offhanded comments about death and dying. It took not a small amount of willpower to shut out the memories that came bubbling to the surface. Still, she could almost smell the rotting stench of decaying corpses, mired and unmovable, baking beneath the sun. She flared her nostrils and deeply inhaled to wash away the imagined fetid odor. Petra could not comprehend ever being able to discuss such a topic so indifferently, and wondered how it was that the stallion could.

The unicorn's speech came to a natural pause, and Petra gently stepped in to fill the silence. “Goodness, a medic born on the field of battle. You must have stories," she said sweetly. "Unfortunately I am not aware of any innate talent I may or may not possess for healing. However, it is an entirely noble calling and I am more than willing to take instruction or hone any skill the herd would find useful,” she replied. It was an honest and true statement. Petra wanted to be useful above all and would pragmatically acquire the necessary abilities to become so. “And as for peace...Well, it is all I have ever known.” Mostly.

Delightful Creature. That was a new one that the queen had not yet heard. Admittedly, she was reasonably fond of the name and inwardly preened, smiling graciously as her blue eyes twinkled. Generally speaking, the queen had a reasonable number of good qualities, but modesty was not one of them. At least she had a beautiful smile and genuine heart. A vain bitch is hardly the kind of horse you'd like to call friend.

In her turn, the queen laughed along with Petra, enjoying the way their voices melded to fill the trees and rouse the birds from their perches. To laugh.... it was liberating. She had been so stressed lately, there had been too little laughter and too much of everything else. That said, Kahlua wasn't quite sure she agreed. She knew how long she had wandered. One year. One tragically long year where she counted every day and dreamed of fire each night. But then, Kahlua was an extrovert, she needed to be around horses to survive in the same way that she needed to drink water or eat grass. That year had been tragic for her. Thank the Gods for Helovia.

As the topic turned to healers, the queen quietly let them speak, entertaining herself with their banter and back and forth and then shaking her head vigorously when it was insinuated that she could better explain the healers. “I'm afraid not! Resplendence tried to teach me plants once or twice... or maybe more times,” her self-deprecating laughter bounced in the air. “I'm just miserable at telling one from another.” Honestly, Res didn't even like Kahlua in the garden, often picking on her that she might eat the wrong thing and then end up... well... dead.

Adding then at the end, as it seemed relevant, Kahlua mentioned the other professions available within the herd. The philosophers to communicate with the gods and provide wisdom, headed by Aurelia but sorely lacking in numbers. The warriors, numbering plenty but always welcome to add another to their ranks. The sneaks, headed by Quilyan, to find information where it might be relevant to their cause, also rather low in numbers. Lastly, the crafters headed by Dragomir, who could create beautiful things. “I was a crafter myself, once,” she added, tossing her nose to the wall that she had made. How long ago that seemed now, beyond the many months where she had been called leader.

OOC| So sorry for the delay, finals ate my life!
@[Petra] @[Ruske]

Kahlua
THE SUNSHOWER

Unregistered
RUSKE

I had been hoping perhaps for a little support from Kahlua – to ease the burden of speech resting firmly upon my back (phoenix help us). She only shook away my statement however. Sparing a brief, incredulous glance in her direction, I let the matter drop rather than press it. How could anyone with magic and patience enough to craft that wall be so.... what was the word? Daft? It might have been an act, I supposed, but if it was, she’d managed to render it so thoroughly convincing as to seem genuine. And I hadn’t the energy, anymore, to rest on suspicions of everyone. Much easier to think her lacking faculties. Dismissing, then, any support I expected from my queen, I returned my attention to the newcomer, and the inexcusably long speech still leaking out of my throat.

Polite, at least. I suppose that is the best I could say of this Petra; she gave me little enough to work with. Whoever had taught her be so quiet and collected? Bred from finer stock than myself, no doubt. My brief recollection of my own past, at least, evoked some reaction from her: a sort of grimace, and yet more silence. So many creatures were quick to extol the virtues of healing without understanding the foundations of its knowledge – the necessary sacrifices. I judged her then to be a frail thing, mincing and polite but lacking any backbone. Maybe she could find a place in diplomacy, then. Or maybe she was young enough to get over her reservations... I shook my contemplation away. It didn’t matter.

When Petra began to speak, at least, I pricked up my ears and listened. “Goodness, a medic born on the field of battle. You must have stories.” I answered with a quiet snort. Stories. Nightmares, more like. I felt unwelcome resentment growing within me – either for the mare or for my own sorry mind, I could not say. “I suppose you’ve more than ample time to find whatever innate talents you do have,” I observed, in answer to her second statement, “and use them to our best advantage.” I meant to sound encouraging, but perhaps my tone came out a bit too sharp. Perhaps it would simply motivate her in a different way, then. “Count yourself lucky,” I added at the last, “To have enjoyed such peace.” And when had I ever known it? Now.

It was boring.

Yet it had also been my goal, so long ago, when I had been without it, and I supposed I should seem more grateful to have found the Edge, to be enjoying its bounty.

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

[ @[Petra] Ahhh so sorry I forgot I owed here ;-; Apparently I've also forgotten how to write this guy... hrm. ]

Unregistered

Petra's ears perked up when her bright traveling companion spoke of the professions in the herd. As Kahlua listed the many available, the buckskin mare kept a running dialogue in her head: Philosopher:
Perhaps. Protector: Goodness no, I could not kill anyone. Sneaks: Sounds too dangerous and deceitful. Crafter: at the mention of this profession, Petra remembered her keenly embarrassing childhood where she had attempted to learn crafting, but the attempts merely resulted in several misshapen and deformed objects. And many broken ones. The latter seemed to occur especially when she was around others' crafted things, something she maintained was always by accident. It had been quite the running joke amongst her herd: do not let Petra touch anything important.

Healing seemed to fit her best, although she was not particularly fond of the idea of hearing the cries of the sick and dying. It appeared though that this land had at least a tentative peace, and healers were not needed with any degree of frequency. She just had to hope that this state would continue.

When the stallion spoke again, there was something new in his manner and tone. His words had a bit of bite to them, and his sentences, once prolonged, were now truncated. This surprisingly stung. Her careful manners were certainly not meant to annoy and she did not want the first new herd member she met to find her anything less than pleasant. Petra gave the dark one a more thorough look and soaked up all the subtle cues that were emanating from him. It seemed as though he was trying to build a facade to mask his bitterness, although it was entirely unsuccessful from Petra's point of view now that she was paying better attention. The unicorn was more or less civil the majority of the time, but there were hints here and there of what lay underneath the thin veil of contrived pleasantry.

She was resolved nonetheless to maintain her decorous demeanor. Petra had been brought up to always comport herself in the most civilized fashion. You did not falter, whatever the provocation. Just as one would never allow a dent in one's armor, one would not countenance a chink in one's carefully maintained social veneer. In both instances, you left yourself vulnerable. Open to exploitation or attack. Wearing your heart so that the world may plainly see was a weakness, a liability. There would be no chink her armor.

Her head was turned to Ruske, her stance a little more rigid.
“I do believe healing would be an excellent place to start. And as you said, the basics are of great import regardless.” Her words were still honeyed, but her gaze turned icy. The only indication of her hurt pride. At his second statement, she replied “I would have to disagree with you. There is nothing at all lucky about peace as it is rarely achieved through such fickle means. It comes through dedication, hard work, and sacrifice. Besides, one makes one's own luck.” She ended with a bit of a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

“Now back to the healing business, you referred me to one called Resplendence yes? Or do you believe you would prove an ample beginning instructor? At some later time of course.” Petra addressed the stallion, hoping that she would get the opportunity to smooth out their first impressions.

@[Ruske] OOC: No worries! And I know the feeling, I'm still fine tuning Petra's voice. >.<

Ah, poor Ruske, hoping to find more under the queen's pretty face than a hollow skull. Search though he might, he wound find nothing more than butterflies flitting within her open head. She was well meaning, kindly, a diplomat made for the important task of making and keeping friends and yet... She would never be the sort of diplomat sent to a clandestine meeting, never the one to dance the wicked dances that leaders play during their games of thrones. She was a beautiful face, designed to keep her people happy with smiles and laughter, cheer and good faith... The important work of the herd, the work that required thought or conniving or special skills... that was the work of her King and her Council. And indeed her job was important, for alliances are not made with brute force and trickery, but her daftness was no act. It was the truth of a simple child with not much of a brain but a golden heart.

Indeed, for the moment, the queen was rather interested in the exchange between Ruske and Petra regarding peace. She was always eager to hear more of what her herd members thought about their goals, about how they were reaching them and what they could do to improve their attempts at making their dreams a reality. And while Ruske seemed to be reflecting on his past regarding peace, as there had been no trouble in the Edge under the queen's watch, Petra had an interesting and revealing response. Indeed, the queen agreed that peace was not so easy to achieve as some seemed to think. Try and toil though she might, she had made little headway outside of her own borders.

Frowning to herself, the queen let them chat healing on their own while she continued to ponder peace, its implications and requirements for obtainment... This job was so much bigger than she had ever imagined it to be. It hurt her brain to have to consider such grandiose ideas. Would she ever be able to reach the heights expected and required of her? She hoped and prayed that in time she would meet the expectations of those who trusted her.

@[Petra] @[Ruske]

Kahlua
THE SUNSHOWER

Unregistered
RUSKE

I was not certain when exactly my attempts at friendly greeting had turned this exchange into a battle of wills, but I was not particularly cheered by the result. Something in Petra’s stance had changed with my words. She stood with perhaps a touch of rigidity, a bit of fire in her gaze. Interesting, if nothing else. Perhaps she wasn’t exactly meek; she wore her courtesy like armor. It might be admirable, if I had ever found a use for manners. I would have preferred to see her yell, in all honesty.

“I do believe healing would be an excellent place to start.” My ears twitched, one part interest and one part disbelief. Was she determined to prove herself to me, or did she honestly wish to become a nurse like myself? I supposed it hardly mattered, in the instant I took to think on it. The more brains we had, the better – though I couldn’t help but wonder, every now and then, if perhaps peace itself rendered my profession utterly unnecessary. How many really ever came down with a cold? Or a cough? I smirked at Petra anyway, goaded into a mild temper by the flash of something brittle in her gaze. Well, maybe there was fire enough inside her to make her sweet façade at least moderately interesting. She seemed to be quick in thought, and I had no reason to desire her affection. No; a willingness to learn was all that would prove necessary, at first.

I answered her little speech about luck with little more than a snort. We would see, I supposed, how much luck she managed to make for herself. “I hope your philosophy serves you well. And if I ever find you out of luck, I suppose I need only remind you to make more.” It would have been impossible to keep the smirk off my features; my tail twitched, a little childishly, behind me. Well; she was irritating in an almost enjoyable way, if I was to be honest. At the same time, I began to entertain the less acceptable fantasy of jabbing my horn at her – it was a long time, really, since it had been jabbed anywhere... Which brought me around to healing again, with a rough sort of sigh.

“I am more than capable of teaching the basics to anyone,” I declared, forgetting perhaps that Kahlua still stood directly in my presence and would probably dislike any insult to her other healers. “You still ought to meet Resplendence, though. It’s only polite to tell her you’re interested. And then she can put you to work. I would be glad to teach you, though...” Completely false, but it might at least prove interesting, “if she asked it of me. I do have other things to occupy my time, of course.” I blinked, remembering Kahlua once more, and shot a curious glance at the pied queen. She hadn’t said anything for quite sometime – was she daydreaming? Or bored? My teeth rasped against each other quietly as I mused over the situation.

“Perhaps all this is better left to another time, however. If you’ve been traveling, you will require rest. And maybe a day or two to put some meat back on your sides.” I cast a glance at Petra’s ribs. “Then we can talk more seriously, if you retain any interest.”

NursE
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Petra]