the Rift

[PRIVATE] Familial Ties [Midas]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And is it Worth the Wait, All this Killing Time?

The sun had set upon Helovia for the day, falling asleep descending past the horizon and letting the moon rise high in the sky. It was Her time to shine, covering the earth and its inhabitants with a pale, ethereal glow. It was cool night, with the slightest of breezes filtering through the trees and rippling the surface of the water along the bubbling brook of the Rotunda.

"... What a marvelous place."

Apollo's vocals, soft and reverent, echoed through the night despite the fact that he attempted to speak softly. Never before had he been here, in the Ancient Rotunda, so this was foreign territory... But it was beautiful, especially on that night. With the cool weather and the soothing melody of the bubbling brook, and the dancing fireflies that flitted to and fro, filling the area with breathtaking, blinking lights... Apollo was captivated. What a wonderful gift he could receive upon arriving to this place for the first time. Time and time again he swore that Nature was the most talented of life-weavers, and once again, he wasn't disappointed.

Standing upon the strange, stone structure and beneath the glass roof that held a beautiful myraid of colors, it seemed as though the Merciful had stepped into another world. It was so peaceful here, so beautiful... His meager worries seemed to dissappear. While not near as plagued with remouseful thoughts as he had been before being reunited with Ktulu and Lakota, soft doubts and uncertanties still nagged at him, weighing heavily upon his shoulders.

Many souls who he had known of before the terrible darkness, Apollo had not seen. Had they made it? Had they survived? Friends as they were, they would never be forgotten... And in the pit of his heart, the stallion was uncertain if their painful absence would ever heal. Still...

"I have to keep going on," he murmured, his dark lips quiet words as though he was speaking to a sleeping babe, "For them. For their memory... Right friend?" A lone firefly fluttered nearby, seeming to dance and twirl before his muzzle, and the Merciful's lips turned upwards in a smile. "You're very beautiful. You and your siblings... What a wonderful place to call home." Indeed, the Rotunda was exquisite. Beyond exquisite.

Even though he was no longer alone, for he had found Ktulu and Lakota, there was a dark pit of desolation and heartache in his breast. It was always there, hiding beneath the surface of his smiles, of his laughs... And it was the urge and yearning for companionship. For unrequitted love. For the bond that two souls shared when so desperately, intimately wound around one another... Like the bond between Ktulu and Eytan, or Lakota and Aoduan... Or Midas and Fina. From one bond-mate to the other.

"I can only wonder what it's like, my dear friend," Apollo said to the firefly once again, brown eyes watching the tiny insect's abdomen light up brilliantly before growing dim seconds later. "Mayhaps one day I'll find out..."

@[Midas]

Are you Strong Enough to Stand, Protecting both Your Heart and Mine?

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

The heat of Tallsun was chased by the coming of night, such sweet cool air blew across the valley, filling my wings with a southern ocean breeze that pumped strong from a distant sea. I chased the moon into heaven, catching her brilliance across flesh and feather alike. Fina soared on ahead, her narrow frame contrasting the pale light with a brilliant sheen of holy flame. It wasn’t long before our vacation from home brought us closer to the Ancient Rotunda, a place I’d not visited since the selection of our latest Legatus.

Wings slipped toward my barrel and I slipped into a loose spiral that tightened once ground drew near. Gaze observed the bottom with wary curiosity, this haven was awfully close to the diseased land we had given up for lost. Fina dipped low, circling the canopy and fluttering to and fro like a firefly between the thicker portions. Through her eyes I caught glimpses of a forest floor and the sounds of a trickling stream that widened into an uninfected pool. “Safe.” She murmured, with the utmost satisfaction and confidence. I dipped between the trees, angling to avoid brushing past the overhanging limbs and making unnecessary noise.

Sundipped feathers closed and Fina slipped down to take on a mouthful of pond water before gliding up to alight across a nearby branch. Lightening bugs darted back and forth across the pond, glittering in the air with their beautifully random patterns that made absolutely no sense to my equine mind. A looming shadowy structure was off toward the right, but before a single thing could be uttered or accomplished I realized that this place wasn’t as abandoned as previously thought.

A soft chuckle filled my mind, “Surprise!”

His scent was familiar, all too familiar for it to be infected with that sticky liquid smell, “Apollo?” I ventured, hesitant but hopeful.

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

At some point, Apollo was no longer alone, but he wasn't sure just when that fact had changed. The stag's honey-brown orbs were wholly focused on the fireflies that danced about his muzzle, occasionally brushing their illuminating bodies against his nostrils or cheeks and causing the stallion to chuckle from the tickling sensation of their tiny bodies. He was at peace here, in this beautiful place, and his shoulders felt light and carefree. He felt high with joy, with life, and it was magnificent.

'Apollo?'

The abrupt voice snapped the Merciful from his reverie, and in turn caused him to jerk his head to the left, ears snapping to attention. The quick and sudden action startled the peaceful atmosphere and caused the otherwise lazy fireflies to flutter away and to the safety of the sky, taking their dancing lights with them, but Apollo paid them no heed. His gaze was locked now on a form that he had no seen in a very long time, and unwillingly the stallion felt tears prick at his eyes and his throat clenched with un-shed emotion.

"... Midas?" Was it him? Through the encroaching darkness Apollo's eyes narrowed, making light of the body of his winged brother that he had not seen in seasons. It was him. It was! "Midas, oh! Brother!"

Like water the trepidation slid from his shoulders, and rapidly a smile was stretching wide upon his maw. He turned bodily towards his friend, his dear friend, and quickly moved to lessen the distance between them, nostrils wide as he sucked in large gulps of the other male's familiar scent. Almost instinctively Apollo's head lifted, his eyes roaming the area to spot... There. The she was; Fina, rightened in the branches of a nearby tree. 'Hello, beautiful Fina,', he wanted to say, but it seemed that his voice box seemed unable to form the words... At least for now.

Apollo stopped short as though not to crowd his dear friend, and stretched his muzzle out towards the Pegasus for a intimate brushing, to ensure that yes, Midas was real, and that he was okay. "I was so worried, Brother, I had no idea if anyone I knew was okay... You... You are okay, yes? You and Fina?" As the words spewed from his mouth like unsavory word-vomit, Apollo's experienced eyes began roaming the paint's limbs and extremeties for any signs of injuries.

Midas was more than just a friend; he was family. He was the only family that it seemed Apollo had anymore, a brother to call his own... And being in his presence now made the stallion want to whine and cry and rub against him like a lost colt reuniting with a loved one, but he swallowed such nonsensical desires and simply stood his ground, quaking and trembling with pent up emotion.

"By Father Earth, I've missed you. I was so worried..."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Cranium turned and body followed were Fina had been looking behind my ignorant spine; she smirked at the obvious bewilderment and flapped her flaming appendages before dipping beak into the warmth of feathers to pick at some sticky branch or bramble that had lodged itself. Aurous eyes widened, scrutiny narrowing my brows; how had I not noticed him before now? I restrained calling out twice and had to forcefully halt these limbs from taking brisk steps forward into an embrace I knew as well as the sands in dragon’s throat. He was my brother and not only in a battleblood way, but emotionally. We’d not been sired into the same womb, nor suckled the same tit; but in every manner this man was my family.

I didn’t have to wait long, he replied with equal fascination and slight disbelief. I couldn’t help the silly grin that marred any attempt at serious facade, unlike myself, Apollo dashed into his next statement. Solidifying that his mind hadn’t been taken hostage by the nearby landscape. Patched legs jerked into motion only a beat behind his and the distance between us was shut out. I laughed, chuckling merrily, a rare and rich sound. He came up short but I didn’t bother pausing until nearly neck and neck, locked limbs stood fast as I reached out--meeting his brushing muzzle to allow that strange male musk within me. His words seemed to overflow and fishtailed the emotions that tightened fragile folds.

A brilliant smile lite up every corner of my face, not an ounce of anything more than good tides could be witnessed, “Yar! I am well, Fina is well, dear friend, dear brother. I also feared ye abandoned to the wasteland—among those that had lost their minds.” A certain phoenix chirped, happy to be included in our reunion. I withdrew for a moment, gazing across his taller physical self—searching for mishap, “the feeling is mutual. Helovia gave many brave daughters and sons during those dark months.” Honeyed gems returned to his chocolate colored gaze that seemed almost black in the darkness of night, “Where has ye been all this time? Surely not here?”

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Where as Apollo hesitated, Midas did not. The painted Pegasus lessened the distance between them with far more grace and poise than Apollo could ever hope to achieve, but in the end it didn't matter. Nothing mattered in that moment save the familiar warmth that was the feeling of his brother's embrace, the feeling of flesh and hard muscle upon one another, and the velvety caress of Midas' muzzle brushing against his own had the overo stallion sighing wistfully, honey-brown orbs fluttering shut in content peace.

The rich sound of his winged brother's laughter didn't go unnoticed, and it pulled a dazed, relieved smile to the Merciful's own dark-tinted lips. How wonderful that sound was, so familiar, so rich, so gentle... Goodness, he felt like a youngster again, but the feeling wasn't unwanted. He would have gladly drowned in such feelings, such bliss, such feelings of safety.

"I'm so pleased to hear that, I was just so worried." Apollo breathed out, winded from the exhilaration of pure emotion that ran rampant through his wayward body. It seemed as though he just couldn't quit trembling! Soulful brown oculars sought out Fina's form once more at the sound of her pleased chirp, and he smiled unabashedly towards the flaming Zephyr, offering her a loving nicker in return. Looking back to Midas, the overo stallion sucked in a deep breath in a pitiful attempt to collect himself.

"No, no... I've avoided that place. It reeks of death and ill-tidings. To think of all of the souls that have been lost there makes me physically ill." It was the curse of an empath, it seemed, to be so in-tuned with the things around the world. Swallowing then, Apollo's eyes averted from the Gallant's brilliant golden irises, shame creeping up the back of his neck. What would Midas think of his self-imposed isolation? A chuckle full of melancholy choked past the Merciful's lips. "Since the fall of the Foothills, I've... I've returned to the Forest." After all, there had been nothing left for the stallion to return to. His home had been destroyed, his herd scattered, their numbers lost, and everyone had gone their separate ways. The Forest had been one the only places where Apollo had felt safe, accepted, and welcome, and so it was natural that he return to the comforting embrace of the trees. "That is where I have been staying, although I have recently received an invitation to join the World's Edge." He smiled at the thought.

"What of you, brother? Is your herd safe and sound?"

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

This was the passion this body had yearned for, (even dreamed about) in a reunion of brothers. I’d never expected to see Apollo alive again; the fragile thrill to taste his musk upon my senses and feel the solid warmth of untainted flesh. We’d brushed whiskers and I’d heard him sigh in what could only be mirrored as contentment. Soon our intimate meeting shifted attention toward his reply to my curious questions. I was relieved to hear that he’d wisely stayed out of the decaying landscape. It was home for only the dead and dying. Honeyed gaze softened in sympathy as he gave brief condolences toward those we’d lost, “Aye,” I could only murmur in agreement, a horrible place indeed.

Apollo explained his current living situation, obviously unaware that his former homeland had been reborn as a child, or he’d found a distaste for those that now lingered under its patron god. This information made my grin slipped a notch and a flush of uncertainty filtered across my soul. How would he handle the news that I’d become leader of his former home?

I remained silent in my personal musing as the gentle heart went on to add that Edge had given their blessing for his presence. Then the question was turned upon heel and reversed to me, my frown deepened and I turned crown aside to hide some of the doubt; gaze glancing toward the fluttering insects whom had suddenly captured my interest. “They are well.” Both of them (since I’d last checked) “I…” words caught in my throat and my gaze forcefully slipped back to him with the hesitation of a foal who had done wrong, “I am no longer Sultan of Dragon’s Throat…But Czar of Hidden Falls.”

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

In the many years that he had known the Gallant, Apollo could never recall seeing his peaceful brother so precarious, so uncertain, or cloaked with shame. Honestly, Apollo could only remember one time that Midas hadn't been happy, or at least at peace, and that had been during the Grey invasion of the Foothills, when they had fought side-by-side against the fool Tharos. That had been so long ago... But the deep-rooted conviction that had shone violently in Midas' golden orbs was void, and leaving behind in its wake a timid, unsettled thing.

One of the overo's ears flicked back with confusion, the taste of his own uncertainty bitter and sour on his tongue. Was everything well? Before the Merciful could even open his dark lips and inquire to the welfare of his winged brother, Midas went on, explaining that while he was no longer Sultan of the Dragon's Throat, he was still a lead... A Czar of the Hidden Falls.

For a solid moment, Apollo's honey-brown orbs narrowed with confusion, before they widened with realization. Wasn't that...?

"The Hidden Falls... That's where the Foothills once stood, yes?"

Is that why Midas looked so shamed, like a misbehaving colt scolded by its mother? Was he nervous that Apollo may hold some kind of distaste or bitterness towards him? Accuse him of being an usurper to the throne that was rightfully his? No. No... Never. Never could he be so cruel to his brother, especially when Midas was nothing but innocent.

A small smile began to pull at the horned stallion's lips and he chuckled, the warmth in his eyes returning once more. "Midas... Brother." So often it had been the Gallant who soothed Apollo's worries, and just this once, the Merciful hoped it could be the other way around. "I... I'm happy for you. That actually puts my mind at ease. While the earth there is shaped different and it has been dubbed a new name, the soil is still that of the land that I loved. That is still the same soil that I bled for, and that I have loved... And I am honored that it is you, Midas, who is looking after it now."

Apollo's grin grew and there were no doubts in his mind that Midas would take good care of the land that had once been his home. "If you should ever need anything, brother, please don't hesitate to send Fina to find me." A threat of an attack, a need of a healer, or perhaps just for a chat... All Midas had to do was call, and Apollo would come.

That's what brothers were for, right?

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

I’d honestly expected more of a lashing from Apollo; or perhaps at the very least disappointment for the grief of losing proud title. My expectations were misplaced; he didn’t strike out at me in anger or resentment, the merciful merely voiced a question out of curiosity and a desire to understand. To which I answered with a soft but assuring, “Aye,” his smile drew upon slight bewilderment, but also measureable relief. Just like with Africa and Sohalia, they’d relieved some secret weight that I’d been holding without realizing it, and yet they’d responded in nearly the same manner as my dear friend and kinman—a total opposite compared to that of Cera and Ranjiri. Though it seemed like I’d always be the object of disappointment with someone (not everyone could be pleased in all instances)

He pledged himself to me, my smile grew from a nervous frown into a genuine beam of delight, crown dipped slightly forward. I was humbled and honored to be blessed with such a friend, “Heart of my heart,” dear one. Our souls cried out for the same objective. Apollo was a special and rare spirit. “Thee will always have a home in Hidden Falls,” and with me. No matter where his travels led, or where I ended up on the whim of a patron god—we’d always be brothers in arms. “If ye has enemies, consider them mine as well.” We’d fought together for the sake of a different family once before. I could only hope that fates would be kind enough to allow us that same privilege; but knowing helovia humor, we’d end up turned upon heel at each other. "It is my hope that Edge will become our allies; will ye be joining their ranks?" If our families were allied then it would secure the tie of brotherhood without contest.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Apollo's genuine smile slowly faltered as Midas, in turn, pledged his allegiance to him, and surprise worked itself within the stallion's honey-brown oculars. What had he ever done to achieve such unending loyalty from someone of Midas' caliber? Such devotion? Such brotherhood? Fate had thrown them together, woven their lives around each other in such an intimate fashion, and Apollo, well... If he were honest with himself, not even he and Andreas had ever been so close, and they were blood family.

Life, it seemed, was full of oddities.

"Midas..." The overo stallion's voice was choked with a myriad of feelings, with affection, empathy, and humbleness, but he swallowed thickly and did his best to clear the ball of emotion from his throat. "I'm honored to hear such words from you. I fear that I'll never be able to repay the kindness in which you have shown me over the years."

The previously abandoned smile that had once crossed Apollo's lips once more worked itself into place, and he dipped his crowned head forward in a nod of agreement. "I should hope for the same... The herds have been unsteady for far too long. I think an alliance would serve them well." Especially during such a tender, tumultuous time. "I'm... Not sure. I'll join them, but I fear they may have no need of my services as a medic." A rueful grin crossed the stallion's lips and he chuckled, ebony ears tipping back, albeit slightly. "I'm afraid I make a poor soldier, and I have no desire to draw any more bloodshed, so... Perhaps I'll do solitary work, should their medical fields be full. I plan to venture to the Edge after I've visited Father Earth upon his shrine... He has granted me a quest to be bestowed with a companion, like yourself and Fina."

Ah, speaking of...

The Merciful's warm eyes sought out the said phoenix before focusing on the golden orbs of the Gallant. "Brother? Will you tell me what it is like? To be so intimately bound with another soul?" Because Apollo needed to know what it was like, to hear the thoughts of another, to see through the eyes of another, to feel what they felt. Ktulu had said that Eytan had been able to feel her emotions; her anger, her happiness, her pleasure... Was this a common thing? Did every bonded pair share such an intimate connection?

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

I could only wonder why my brother had faltered his smile -- shock shinning from the center of his gaze and nostrils widening as if I’d just expressed something rather earth shattering. Were we not kin? Sharing a tie that was every bit as sweet and strong as blood? My smile is warm and reassuring while Apollo sorted through whatever his thoughts might have been, the response is every bit as true to his nature; and for a small moment I hear myself echoing that promise – valuing our friendship and love beyond the constrains of this life. There was nothing to be paid; perhaps this sort of affection was a hint of what Earth felt for each of his children.

Apollo admitted that he wasn’t entirely sure of joining the Edge after all. They apparently sought his skills as a warrior and not a medic, I nodded, understanding how the gentle heart would be strained to stand in a position that didn’t suits his needs. Though my brother could certainly hold his own in a fight – the choice of becoming a full-fledged healer would do greater good than harm. A thing that was befitting his compassionate spirit.

“Helovia will thank ye. I’ve seen countless across the landscape who are often in need of attention – though they lack the strength to seek aid.” How many had I led into Hidden Falls? Their bodies on the verge of collapse and spirits close to rising toward eternal rest.

When he mentioned Earth I smiled wider, understanding the importance and honor of such a quest. Fina chirped in yon tree when he glanced her way, she eyed him with a passive stare that was rare for others I found myself in company with. A question followed, an inquiry that drew forth a moment of silence as I considered a response.

Fina bent her head and started grooming fiery plumes; halfway listening to our conversation, yet typically finding little interest in it. I thoughtfully glanced her way and mused, “There is no words in our language to compare it to; tis like trying to describe sound to a deaf person, or depict a richly colored valley to someone who can't see.”

The smile I wore slowly faded into a considering line, but the heated glow upon my gaze was ever strong as I turned to regard him, “But I shall try.”

“To bond, is to have a soul vulnerable to the touch of a spotless creature; it is the most beautiful and trusting of all magic, without a hidden part that is often sealed from the outside world. The companion knows thee completely, thee weakness, strength’s, thoughts, desires; every corner of the spirit it is bonded to. There is nothing that can be sheltered from them.”

I swallowed, glancing toward the dancing firelight and shimmering willows, “The same goes for them. Ye would be able to know their thoughts and desires, feel their emotions. It is bound tighter than the love of a parent and child, mates, friends and that even of brother and sister.”

“Ye would do anything for that bond. Even kill…” toward the end my words softened and trailed off, as if I’d just stretched my own understanding of a soul bond.

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Throughout his venture of fulfilling the quest that the Earth God had bestowed upon him, Apollo had realized that from different individuals, he received different answers. All answers, however, had one thing in common... That the gift of two bonded souls was something precious, something incapable of explaining, but out of everyone that he had asked, Midas seemed to sum it up perfectly.

As his golden-eyed brother spoke of the precious linkage between he and Fina, Apollo listened with rapt attention, the soft orbs of his own oculars darting between Midas himself and the tree in which Fina had perched. He couldn't even fathom such an intimate feeling... To be so personally and wholly wrapped and linked between another soul. Apollo knew he could always wonder what it was like, and perhaps one day assume that he knew what it would feel like... But unless it was something that he experienced, the Merciful knew he would never truly understand.

"I... I can't even imagine," he murmured, a thoughtful look crossing the overo's boyish features. Slowly his gaze ventured from the gentle gaze of his winged brother and instead focused back on the fiery dots of lightning bugs that flitted around in the distance, the reflections of their illuminated thorax posteriors echoing in the stream that flowed through the Rotunda. The sight was captivating, but Apollo's rambling thoughts were more consuming. "Such a thing must be far more precious than the mind could comprehend..."

But, Apollo wouldn't lie; since seeking out others to gain information on the bonded soul, he had learnt many a new things.

"Especially a mind like my own." Here, the overo's head jerked back to Midas and a jovial grin pulled the stallion's lips upwards, the honey-brown depths of his eyes shining in genuine happiness. It had been a long, long time since such pleasure, such relief and love had wormed itself into Apollo's heart, and he found that honestly, he wasn't ready to part ways from Midas just yet. They had been away from each other for so long...

"Midas? One more question. Would you honor me and accompany me to the Veins to seek out our Father Earth? I think that... I think that I finally understand now, what it is that He had instructed me to learn." Or, at least, as well as he could...

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Those creatures were birthed into this planet with an inborn desire for compassion.

Magic itself was a precious boon, bestowed upon the worthy and the not so worthy. A gift that I rarely used for the ill fate of others, and hardly spent for personal gain. The soul bond was more than just precious, it was…well, for lack of a better term a stone, tethering ones soul to this planet. Granting those it taught unconditional love, while giving us a glimpse of something pure. Mercy.

For what was more spotless and clean than a merciful soul whom had yet to be tainted by the world? Like a child they were without blemish, crafted so skillfully in the womb.

“As are most things in this world…” his quiet omission was echoed by reassuring vocals; though a reply wouldn’t be necessary, I was mostly musing aloud. There countless things our fragile mortal hearts couldn’t comprehend, and for those that could understand the gravity of our actions…yar…lord have pity on our foolishness. I’d made more mistakes than what was worthy of forgiveness. Yet the soul bond was proof that even the most selfish heart could be lured to love.

My brother and kinsman spoke again, this time grinning that boyish smile which softened his aging face and made the features look brisk and young again. I beamed in return, gently pushing muzzle toward his check and blowing a breath upon the slick flesh out of affection, “Yar, I’d give ye credit.” The next question helped verify that our time wouldn’t be finished just yet, his statement gave me pause as I pulled back, a compassionate smile touching the bright corners of each iris, “Aye, it would be an honor to accompany ye. I’ve been removed from his shrine for many a week and it is due time for a visit.”

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS