the Rift

[OPEN] Who are you?

Zünden Posts: 75
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.3 :: Four [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Pare
The sun was low in the sky and the Storm filly was sure it was the hottest day she had ever experienced before. Clouds the color of her soft foal coat were rapidly growing the sky behind her. She was determined to try and find her father, but where would he be at? Surely this place wasn't all that big though, but then again it very well might be huge, for all she knew. The filly was lacking in age and experience, but she was very rich in pride and cockiness. She was trotting with her short dark tail and horned head held high in the soupy Tallsun air.

The black horns perched on her forehead were very odd indeed. A thick plate covered the upper half of her forehead it was a few inches wide much like a water buffalo's protective plate. The horns coming from the ends of the battering ram are still short, black, and curved; like a Kudo's horn. These odd displace of horns isn't the only thing weird about the Storm filly. Another thing, closest to her horns, are her heterochromia eyes. Her right eye is a deep new grass color while the other is a bright sunflower yellow. One eye from her mother one from her father. Now the last oddity about the Storm filly is the red and white barbed wire markings running up the only white leg on her body, the right. This marking came specifically from her father, Krieger. He was why she had wondered from her home in search of a stallion she had only met once and whose name she did not even know.

How was she supposed to explain to someone who she was looking for if all she knew about her father was that he was white as snow, with red hair, red barbed wire markings, and a horn? Sighing the filly trotted on searching, for the father her mother didn't want her to have. "I will find him, even if it is the last thing I do." She spoke aloud to prove her determination.

"Talking"’Thinking’
Words: 348
OOC: Anyone and everyone is welcome! It's going to start storming at some point that's why I made it here so they can shelter in the rotunda! Maybe someone that knows about Krieger or can tell her about the Basin?

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo
Her bird sat atop a marble gargoyle while she clacked her rounded feet against the chipped and beaten stone floor. She let her pink muzzle skim just over the rough surface of the ground, taking in its ancient and recent smells alike. Her bird is still an adolescent of sorts – their communication is clear, but brief. The bird and her have their connections solidified but they need more time to build into anything elaborate. She can feel him surveying, taking it all in, and he can feel her gathering information; their partnership is now a necessity to both. Tangere can hardly remember a time without him even though he hatched this recent frostfall. It was a lifetime ago – before the darkness set in completely and before she knew she would be living in those caves for so long.

A hot shiver cuts down her spine and she jerks her thin, silky tail to slash against each hip. Her head rises to direct her sharp chocolate eyes on Phrixus, who returns her gaze with the blackness of his own stair. She flips her chin at him, purring a low whicker and he obeys the gentle command by hopping off his stone perch and gliding back to his usual spot among her scarred withers. She taps him lovingly with her rosy lips and moves on, out from underneath the colorful roof and back toward the path heading back Northward.

They’re interrupted though, by a voice in the distance.

The painted unicorn stops, propping her head and ears upright. Her bird shifts but she shh’s him for a moment, letting her eyes scan the landscape. She sees no one at first, but her birds incessant twitching and telepathic suggesting steers her eyes to a specific corner of the surrounding shrubbery. Horns seemed to suspended above the leaves, floating there oddly by themselves. Tangere and the white bird watched carefully as the girl’s face appeared beneath the long bones she wielded on her head. She mentally released Phrixus from his ‘leash’ and he immediately soared off toward the stranger, staying 30 ft or so above her, moving in smooth small circles. Images of the filly’s entire body from an aerial and side view flashes through her mind, its fuzzy and weak, but the red of her leg marking stands out in the silver mare’s mind. Something sparks in her head and she sets off on a rolling canter to greet the unknown child.

Hello.” Her voice is syrup on the hot, sticky air. There is no breeze at the moment and the bugs are starting to settle on the two horses standing in the open sunlight like bait. Tangere’s tail begins to toss as her bird finds a landing spot among her withers. “Where are you from?” Tang boldly asks this as she moves in to stand facing the filly head on, moving her eyes over the youthful structure under her grayish coat. Something is familiar but Tangere draws no explanation for herself.

CARS CAREENING FROM THE CLOUDS
BRIDGES BURST AND TWIST AROUND..
AND WANTING SOMETHING WARM AND MOVING

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

The trees press in obnoxious, close. He slips through like a wraith, long silver lines contorting around trunks and branches, spilling like water through shadows and light. This land breeds claustrophobia, all of it – trees and mountains, walls and distances closed – roped off. Even the sky soars high and above, sun rotting in its depths, throwing off sticky yellow light. When his lungs heave in they fill with air half water, thick and humid. But he breathes on anyway, and walks on anyway, accustomed to the heat if not the press of green shadows. He glimmers silver in the daylight, his figure more doe than stallion, though his height gives out the lie. Cloven hooves press down the ferns and undergrowth with care, as if he expects to find a mine hidden beneath them, but he ventures on – determined. To merely wait in the north, allowing all the sinew in his legs to atrophy – it grinds at his very nature.

And this place is full of things to see.

Eventually, his ears prick to the sound of something – someone – speaking to the forest. It dances childish and out of range against his ears, no more than music. With a jerk, his ears lift up to catch it anyway. A girl. The noise calls him forward and he turns to follow, drawn by curiosity if nothing else, drawn to the call of others even if he knows better than to bother them. He slips out from between the trees with his head up, all narrow angles pulled tall, but inquisitive and hardly threatening. The filly in the path before him wears a crown of twisted bone, hard black. He blinks and blinks again; his tail stirs once against the fragile sculptures of his hocks.

There is a mare, as well: this grey like the storm clouds gathering above. Caneo stands with muscle drawn up wire-taut under his silver hide as something sharp, electric, gathers in the air. The girl, the mare, the clouds – all promise something. He knows the scent before a storm but not these creatures, and smiling vaguely, he bows his his head, long neck curving in a graceful arc. “Hello.” He has not heard the mare speak, but he sees a similar color between herself and the girl. He leaps to the nearest answer, and stepping back warily, adds, with a short bob of the head. “Is this your little one?” His eyes gleam keen, part fear, part curiosity; he knows better than to step between a mare and foal but wonders anyway, wishing only to hear their voices. He smiles at the girl. “Those are quite some horns you have, aren’t they?”

sxc.hu

[ I hope you don't mind me jumping in. :3 setting this ambiguously after his Basin threads ]

Pare
Zünden
The filly halted for a moment catching her breath and swishing her black and white tipped tail lashing it against the tilde wave of bugs. The Storm filly tilts her head towards the darkening sky and a white bird catches her different colored eyes. This is bird was odd, watching her as if it were on a mission. She was just about to toss her spiked head when the sound of fast approaching hooves drew her attention away. A dark grey horned mare was cantering towards her. The filly drew herself up readying her small frame for a battle if it came. Fear was the last thing on her mind, excitement was drowning her at the thought of a fight. The mare's voice was thick almost welcoming the filly did not relax her body though, 'Just in case.' "Hello Miss." Her voice was only a shadow of the boom it would one day become, a tiny prideful squeak.

The bird lowered itself calmly on the mare's withers the filly had seen bonded of course, her mother had a black cat, but this was very different. She thought bonded were only cats not birds as well, 'Maybe any animal can be a bonded I'll have to tell Adle.' Her great horned head lifts higher as the mare speaks again drawing forth her own voice, "It's it kind of rude not to say your name before you ask questions?" She had a hell of a tongue on her, but she didn't really care. "I am Zünden. I am trying to find my Father, my mother doesn't want me to know him."

A new presence interrupted her thoughts a white stud stood beside them. Her young heart flipped making her pulse flutter in her small body. What was this feeling growing inside her chest? Shaking her odd arrangement of horns in an attempt to clear her head. "No Sir, she is not my mother. Who are you? I am Zünden." The filly watched him carefully he couldn't be much older than herself, but it was still strange the feeling in her chest. She spotted the nub of a horn upon his forehead before he spoke. His complement drew her up stroking her ego. Her smile is warm, kinder than normal, the smile blessed only to her brother and her lost father. "Thank you for the complement silver sir."She turned her yellow and green gaze upon both of the strangers before speaking again. "Do either one of you know my father? He bares markings on him like the ones on my leg here." She dipped her head towards the red and black barbed wire wrapped around her single white leg.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Words: 447 OOC: @[Caneo] @[Tangere] "Talking" 'Thinking'

Image Credit

@[Caneo], @[Zünden]

This young one seemed to set a stormy feeling across the humid air. Silently the silver and white laced unicorn tilts one of her glassy wide eyes to the rolling sky. She smirks to herself before turning a placid look upon the male slithering up to join them. The single horned mare nods and smiles as usual, perking her ears upright, as to show interest in whatever he was asking. She shook her head idly at his question, though he is polite in asking, she is quick to laugh the question and shake her head. Keeping silence as her cover, for now, watching the gray filly with fiery curiosity – her bird still keeping his beady black eyes with the stallion.

She squints as the filly spouts some wretched little bratty tone. Tangere knew right then what would become of this interaction with Krieger’s daughter.

She sits back silently, watching the foolish child nearly pass out with ripe-ness over the stallion who’d come to investigate such gaudy horns on a small, speckled body. The unicorn half-smiles but remains silent, waiting for her moment to arise – and it does. The filly finally asks and Tangere leans forward, poking the sharp end of the spiraled bone jutting from her head into the softness of the filly’s nose, the very center between her nostrils. Not too hard, but enough to snap her attention, she’s sure of that. Her chocolate eyes hound to meet gazes with the filly’s two-toned set. “Isn’t it one-sided to start demanding information without a little something in return?” She sneers, pulling back like a cobra after a strike. Calmly she purrs out a few words. “I’ll trade you, sweetheart.” Her black ears band backward, whuffing hot air down to the child. “Do something for the Basin, and I’ll give you the information you’re seeking.” She looks to the stallion, she’s seen him around the Basin before – this moment tests his loyalty to building the empire. She doesn’t suggest anything with her stare, no aggression or urgency, but a flat meeting of their eyes and perhaps minds. “I may even help you hunt him down if you’re really diligent...

[ No need to tag me. ]

He was mistaken; Caneo learns this quickly, as the mare laughs and the girl turns her own strange, mismatched eyes on him. “No Sir, she is not my mother. Who are you? I am Zünden.”

“Zünden,” he murmurs back, tasting it, though one ear and one eye remain cocked, for a moment, at the larger shape of the grown unicorn. She says nothing, but her laughter hangs in his mind. Her eyes, like the eyes of the bird on her back, hold something keen. Hungry.

He smiles, and his gaze slides to the girl again. “I'm Caneo.” Cute thing; better with words than he was at that age. He feels distant, prickling concern for her, out in the wide world so young, precocious and fearless and lovely. She smiles at him, and calls him ‘sir,’ and he can only simper back, wondering how serious she is – how learned. As she thanks him, he nods, tail twitching so the thin strands at its tip sway gently in the still, sticky air. Caneo knows the smell of storm and feels it gathering around them, but now seen, he hesitates to be the first at showing fear.

Zünden asks a question then, indicating with a motion of her strange crown the marking twined about one pale foreleg. Caneo’s long neck extends to grant him better vantage, one brilliant blue eye tracing the red-black curl of wire patterned in her flesh. Then slowly he retracts, recoiling within himself, remembering. “Hm...” Wasn’t there somebody a little like that, at the herd meeting? So many faces then... His ears tilt back as he thinks, and into the silence steps the nameless mare, vocal at last, and not kind in the least.

He was mistaken, ever thinking her a mother.

In silence, Caneo takes in her bitter questions, his ears pricking slowly again. Was she at the meeting, too? He can’t recall every one of the faces – spared so few of them any mind. But when he leans in, he thinks the scent of that thin air lingers just over her hide. What would the others say now, if they saw her? Lena? Roland? They both knew much better how to curb their tongues.

He simpers, laughing silently as if at some joke, when she looks at him. Does she want to be partners in this? Co-conspirators? Something bitter, wretched, hideous writhes in his chest and he wants to laugh in her face but he smiles instead, his tail tip swaying again, and he peers down at the girl. Caneo isn’t brave enough to earn the mare’s disfavor outright – not yet – but he is a little worried, in his own way. His voice peals gently on the air again, soft, silver as the velvet glimmer of his hide. “Don’t you have a momma, though?” Go back to her, he thinks, falling silent again, waiting for the girl to act.

sxc.hu

Pare
Zünden
The filly turned her eyes back up towards the two older unicorns. Hope flashes in her different colored eyes before vanishing. She watched them both silently an odd feeling rising in her chest as the mare laughs at being her mother. Stormy ears flick back and hold an angle towards her skull her own eyes squinting slightly before opening normal again. She raises her head eyes glued on the mare the colt all but forgotten. When he speaks again the filly turns back to him as he utters her name. 'Is he slow?' She wonders silently as he says he own name. Once again she takes in the pearly sheen of his coat and the short horn upon his forehead as he approaches. She keeps still careful not to twitch as he examined her marking.

When the dagger pokes into her nose she only moves her head anger billowing into her chest like the sticky storm clouds above. Tiny nostrils dilate not in fear but rage, how dare is mare accuse her of demanding anything. She was the one which had asked why she was here, without so much as a name, and had yet to introduce herself. Her ears slide all the way back pinning against her skull, even so she could still plainly hear her nasty words as the horn is removed. 'So, she does know my father, and I'll bet he lives in this Basin place she thinks she is queen of.'

Sharp hued eyes catch the look that passes between the two, causing her eyes to narrow once more. He had smiled, but did that really mean he agreed with this? She wasn't sure. Having no experience with lying she was unable to see what was really going on. Young and dumb can come at a heavy price. Her short fuzzy foal tail swishes in her aggravation, it would seem she has every last ounce of her father's short temper.

Boldly the filly steps towards the grey mare ears still pinned, nostrils flared. "And what would you have me do for your herd?" She waits for an answer her movements stilled a foot from the mare. Her eyes flash, but not with emotion, with lightning the light does nothing to the girl besides draw an ear up. She speaks again, "Where would I find you in the Basin to prove I did as you ask?" The filly is sure her smooth way with words will win her the information she is seeking, but she could be very wrong. Caneo speaks asking of her mother, she flicks her tail towards him bright eyes never leaving the mare. "I do, but she is nothing to me. A meager nurse maid." Suddenly the girl wants to lie, to say Kiara is not her real mother. The stormy cloud girl wants to be a whole unicorn, not a have bred mutt. "My real, unicorn, mother died in childbirth and I dwell with a lowly equine." She spits the last few words her true nature starting to arise. She will be nobodies fool, no ones earned girl.

"Talking" 'Thinking'
Words: 516 @[Caneo] @[Tangere]
Image Credit

The boy seems to melt – like a punished hound, he almost cowers. Tangere’s face contorts and she scoffs under her breath. She was on her own then.

As expected, as hoped, the filly bursts open like she was a container under pressure. Tangere lets a chuckle roll out as she leans forward again to address the filly’s very delightful question. “Don’t fear little one,” She slides her eyes suspiciously to the male and then back to the baby. “I do not hurt children. This here is a lesson and you’ll be wise to try and absorb as much as you can from the experience. This is not blackmail – you may turn around and refuse the proposal, but keep in mind that I’ll do nothing to help you in return.” She picks up her head, her gaze settling on Caneo, her observations are interrupted by a clever clever question. Tangere responds with laughter, “You won’t find it, not without proving a few things first.” Her tail flicks casually from side to side, the wind catching it and splashing it across her chrome hips. “Besides,” she pauses to tilt her head like a curious puppy, “I will bring your father to you, here, when your tasks are complete.” She purrs this to the girl confidently, as if she has done this a thousand times.

A moment of insecurity, of second guessing and doubts pass through her thoughts. She shakes them away and watches the display of uncomfortable reaction the filly gives off when Caneo suggests she run home to her protector. Something about the girl’s wail of a response seems shaky to Tang; she was lying or not including the whole truth about the whereabouts of her mother. Tangere didn’t care to delve into that, pointless, she deems.

Now,” she steps back, letting the child have her space again. “Are you interested in this deal, child?” The white bird shifts on the branch of a skeletal tree, watching quietly as the scene unfolds before him.

@[Zünden]

If these creatures exist to teach him anything, it is regret. He swallows the bitter taste of the feeling as he watches them, and Caneo wishes he had not approached at all – yet he remains, listening, present. “I do not hurt children,” says the nameless mare, and Caneo’s eyes flick toward her briefly. Hm. She has yet to make her demand, and he supposes he will wait until he hears it out. It may be interesting still – he cannot guess.

Zünden is shrewd; Caneo grants her that, as she tries to wheedle out the information she wants, anyway. He nearly chuckles, but instead only one narrow ear cocks back to paint his features with wry bemusement. “I will watch you and be sure you do it,” he says suddenly, his tone surprisingly confident despite the musical quality of his voice. “Then we can all go to the Basin together.” Yes; this seems the safest action. He may watch the girl and the mare both, and agree with neither. He does wonder, though, just what the mare wants. She plays coyly with the request, stretching it out, refusing to give anything away. In truth, Caneo doubts she has much of a plan at all – and this tickles something in the core of him.

He does look to the girl again when she speaks of her mother – her not-mother. An equine? He searches his memory for the term but finds nothing, and aware of his own ignorance, abstains from asking the question on his lips. Another feeling grows within him, all the same – something like anger – more powerful than his vague sensations of distrust in regard to the mare. This girl – this silly girl – wanders back and forth declaring independence, declaring need, when she does have a family somewhere. Things Caneo himself never enjoyed – he resents her, for a brief and brilliant moment. He thinks, perhaps a hard lesson is the best sort of lesson for the young and spoiled, the soft and unassuming.

His lead lifts up and he peers at the mare again, waiting. He can do nothing until she acts. She began this game, after all. She is the master of it.

sxc.hu

Pare
Zünden
Zünden watches the mare as rain slowly to plop from the sky to thrum lightly on her thunder cloud colored pelt. The filly did not like how this meeting was going, not in the least. The mare was pushy, but clever about it and Zünden was sure that if she refused she would get a in a nasty fight. If she accepted she also might have a fight on her hands. It was defiantly not a place a three month old filly did not need to be in. She would have said no and fought back in an instant, if the mare did not have the information she craved so much. Her different colored eyes narrowed slowly as she thought over what was being said. Something was off, something defiantly was not right here. The way she looked at Caneo every time she said something only confirmed her suspicion.

The filly watched the mare as lightning stabbed at the sky and thunder boomed around them. Her skin crawled between the rain pounding it's way to her skin and the choices before her. What was she to do? Supposedly the mare would allow her to turn and leave, but she didn't want to leave. One day she wanted to join the Basin and be with her father. 'So why not start trying to fit in now?' Her pondering roved around her mind until she came to a decision. The storm allowed the silence between the trio to spread as her eyes wondered to the bird. She watched it quietly basking in the rain as it seemed to give her a new purpose in life. She would agree to do this mare's bidding, but just this once, at least until she really joined the Basin.

Caneo makes her decision even easier as he volunteers to help her in whatever task the mare demands. Taking a deep breath trying to reign in the rage swiping within her small breast. "I will do all that you ask, if you tell me your name. You know both of ours, it is only right we know yours, ma'am." She adds the last word grudgingly and shivers at the nasty taste within her mouth. Zünden watches closely for the mare's reaction then flips her gaze to the handsome pearly stallion. Now it was time to hear the tasks she had to complete in order to make her way into the herd, and her father's life.

Words: 408 "Talking" 'Thinking'

Image Credit

The rain starts, steady and slow, webbing across her silver marbled back. It’s chilly against her warm skin, the wind playing with the tips of her soon to be soaked mane. She watchs Caneo, but feels theres no real time to focus on him. So far he appears to be rather useless to the cause. “You have to earn your way in first, baby girl, and then you can live amongst us. ” She pokes her with a cold, wet, gray nose; somewhat affectionate but mostly just a nudge. “I need you to gather up some metal for me, some bronze.” She grins, peering down at the child as she lets the words sit.

With more words the filly seems to be pleading for the chance at entering the Basin. Why not? She’s surely not strong enough to defend herself should she be untrustworthy. Tangere repeats a small prayer in her head before leaning forward to address the storm filly once more. “Are you sure you want to be part of the Basin?” She casts a loving stare toward the looming peaks beyond the entrance, beyond the guarding machine that towers over all being encompassed by the Basin’s embrace. “I can take you there, but first get me my metals, baby girl.” She pulls her head back into its normal position, water peeling down her pale face, gathering in her thin, silky mane. “If you need help, make friends – if you come into danger, SCREAM; Phrixus and I will not be far.” She takes a short breath, “This will earn you my respect, little one, even if you do not think it matters at the moment…it does.” She looks to Caneo blankly and then back to the filly, thunder crackling faintly above their heads. “Good luck, and remember, scream if you’re being threatened otherwise I’ll see you when you have a couple pounds of bronze for me.” And with those quiet words meant just for the dappled baby, she spins on her heels and jogs away into the snowy drifts. Her bird taking flight at her shoulder and then to the high skies, floating out of sight into the frozen fog along with his partner.

@[Zünden]