the Rift

[PRIVATE] Heartlines [Archibald]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

She hadn't been to these parts of Helovia in a long, long time.

Bitter memories remained here, swaying in the weeping tree-lines and swimming beneath the pristine, crystal clear waters that lapped at the shoreline of the grove. They haunted her, reminded her of a life that was no longer hers to live, back when she was a soldier, a warrior, a protector... A mother, a lover.

It was rare anymore that bitterness stole the Haflinger's heart. The petite, yet muscular creature had given her heart to the freedom of the road, to the freedom of a gypsy, but occasionally bouts of uncertainty and yearning would fill her ample bosom. It was a yearning to return to those that she loved, to those that danced around a lonely spot in her brain, to return the lands that she had once called 'home'.

... Yet she couldn't.

Such a brutal, violent lifestyle wasn't hers to have anymore. Romani much preferred the peaceful tranquility that came with living alone, with roaming the lands and being wherever her heart took her that day. Today, it was the Secret Grove, a lush haven from the summer heat that she hadn't stepped hoof into since conceiving little Jasiri. In an instant a heavy, determined stone wall dropped between her and those thoughts, those memories, and the golden-red palomino steeled herself against the barrage of pain that they brought. That was then, this was now... She was no longer that mare. Her family had changed, had warped, and Xanthos nor Jasiri were longer around. Where they had gone, she didn't know... But perhaps that was for the best.

Besides, this place held far more than just bad memories. This was the place where she had received Kasai, years ago, and that alone was a blessing in itself. Her companion had been just that; a friend, a loved one, a shoulder to lean on when she was feeling uncertain or afraid, or doubting herself like now.

Breathy dark lips lowered to suck in large mouthfuls of sweet, cool water from the shoreline, and at her side Kasai licked up water using her sand paper tongue. Sweat and dust coated the Haflinger's round barrel, a visage to the roads she had begun to travel over the course of the last few seasons. Lifting her head, the mare swallowed the cool liquid that coated her tongue and coughed once, jerking her head back to rid her azure gaze of the cumbersome ivory forelock which never seemed to stop growing.

"We'll rest here for awhile," Romani murmured to Kasai, turning her head to eye the white tigress with a gentle smile, "Then we'll continue on once the sun has lowered." The large cat looked up to the Haflinger and growled a soft response, and her words echoed in Romani's mind.

'And stay out of the heat?'

The palomino chuckled breathily. "Yes, Sweet. And stay out of the heat."

@[Archibald] THE DAUNTLESS :D

And Scars are Souvenirs You Never Lose
The Past is Never Far
Did You Lose Yourself Somewhere Out There?
Did You Get to be a Star?

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

It had been years since Archibald had traveled to the Secret Grove. This had never been a place of solace for the warlord, the air of romance and the smell of love plastered it too deeply. Before Circe, the Dauntless had taken no interest in mares, knowing they would defeat his purpose in this world--at least, the purpose Mandrake had given him. Now, his mother was gone, Circe was his love, and he had two healthy sons that were making their way in this world. Mandrake had been wrong about mares--or, Circe was the exception. He was still powerful, newly named Captain of the World's Edge after coming out victorious in a battle against three others and two companions. Now he was traveling to find his mate, his dearly beloved. He needed her, wanted her to walk by his side into this new herdland, to serve again with him and have a gleam in her eyes as she tossed her body around in the dancing of battle.

Emerging from a cluster of trees, the Dauntless and his bitch in sync lowered their muzzles to drink from the cool waters of the grove's pond. Ears swiveled atop the king's head, searching for sounds in the most instinctive sort of manner. Lifting his head, with water droplets falling from his pale lips, he did find another. The small, stocky body with the golden red hide caught his attention easily, and brought memories flooding back. Romani. The woman had once fought as a warrior beneath his command, but that had been eons ago. He had not spoken to her since he was usurped. Loretta licked her muzzle. Go. She pleaded, looking up at him with knowing amber eyes before she plodded her way towards the halflinger mare and her tiger.

The behemoth followed his bitch, his head raised in its usual manner. His golden eyes ran over her body, noticing signs of wear and tear that had not been present they day he, quite literally, threw her to the ground. She smelled of no particular herd, and he guessed that the life of a vagabond, a gypsy, had taken the toll on her as it had him. Clearing his throat, Archibald slowed and stopped, weight squared over his massive hooves. "It has been long, Romani."

Credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Romani

Kasai was the first to realize that they were no longer alone. The white tigress, lithe and careful, turned her head with a quirked white-spotted ear towards the sounds of the approaching figures. While the tigress knew that her bond-mate had many an acquaintances, she did not recognize the colossal form of the behemoth nor his canine companion, and the large cat's icy-blue orbs lingered upon the Malamute with unabashed curiosity.

'Roma? Visitors.'

The Haflinger, the fallen warrior as she was, shifted where she stood, and it was in the midst of turning herself to face their visitors that the deep, baritone vocals of the Dauntless surrounded her. Azure oculars widened minutely before focusing again on the large giant who stood before her, so calm, so held together like a soldier should have been. Her eyes roamed his large figure and thick, impressive musculature, taking in the years of change that had been brought to him, as well as to his companion Loretta. Gods, how many years had it been since she had seen the Dauntless last? Far too many... It had been when she had lived in the Foothills, and Jackal had usurped Archibald's rightful throne. A soft, sad sigh left her lips.

What did he think of her now that she had fallen so far? Was he ashamed? Or did he understand? Life was a cruel thing... They had both felt that first hand. Hadn't they?

"Hello, Archibald," Romani replied smoothly and with a deep-seated respect, "And Loretta." Here, she dipped her head towards the red-toned Malamute and offered the canine a gentle smile before the palomino's eyes found the golden orbs of the Dauntless. "Aye, it... It has been a long time. I'm glad to see that you're well. Has life been kind to you, my friend?"

My friend...

Perhaps Archibald wouldn't expect those words to come from her dark lips, but to Romani, that's what Archibald was. He had given her a chance to prove herself when no one else had, and even though he had thoroughly throttled her, it was he who had sent her on the just path of the warrior.

The Past is Never Far

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Loretta eyed the tigress carefully, her amber eyes wary of the unknown creature. It was around her size, a shrunken version of her larger ancestors built and designed to bond to horses, but Loretta knew strength and power when she saw it. She did not feel fear towards this striped creature, for Mandrake's claws were much larger and much worse, and Loretta knew the halflinger mare to be a kind one, but there was a silent respect that the malamute gave to the feline. Glancing towards Archibald, the bitch watched as his stoic face softened a little, his posture still formal but comfortable in the wake of the mare.

Archibald shifted some, left hind hoof tipping to balance his weight in a relaxed manner. Even after all this time apart, the Dauntless felt comfortable in Romani's presence, and now they looked into each other's eyes as equals. He was no longer her leader and teacher, she no longer his warrior and pupil. Her cerulean eyes had not changed much, they were bright and hopeful with pools of kindness and forgiveness in their depths. She may have aged, yes, and he too had aged, but the willful mare he had welcomed into his home was still present before him.

Her question triggered swirling thoughts to dance about his mind, fighting for the spot of his tongue. What was kindness of life? Surely, there had been blessings in the life of the Dauntless, but also trial and strife. Did she know, or have any whisper, of his activity since his fall from glory? Did she knew of his time in the Grey, of him winning back the Foothills in blood and gore? What about the woman he had taken as his own, the daughter he had lost to the first snowfall? Was she present for the invasion of the Edge and Throat, of Loretta killing Lace's white dragon? Did she know Of his sons, strong and able beneath his and Circe's watch?

Would she think differently of him if she did?

"I am Captain of the World's Edge now, victoriously standing alongside Ktulu the Constrictor, a close friend. I have two sons, twins, Reginald and Abraham. I would say that all is well, currently." Archibald nodded briefly, tail swishing over his hocks. "How have you been?"

Credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Romani

It wasn't often that Kasai found herself face-to-face with another's companion. With Romani's wayward soul and her desire to leave the past behind them, they were on the road quite often, and so that left little to no time to stop and talk amongst the locals... And while she didn't recognize the stallion nor his Malamute, the tigress felt no form of apprehension or fear from the Haflinger that her soul was bonded to, and so accepted their presence with a gentle purr that resonated within the cavity of her chest. The tigress let out a small huff and glanced to the canine once more before lowering herself down to lay against the cool earth, the tip of her black and white tail flicking left and right in a sign of lazy content.

It was nice to just relax from their busy days of traveling the hills of Helovia.

Romani spared Kasai the briefest of glances before refocusing her eyes upon the impressive, towering form of the Dauntless. As his deep voice once more reached her ears, they responded by swiveling forwards at rapt attention, listening and learning of his journey since Jackal the Thief of Kings traipsed into the Foothills all those seasons ago. Captain of the World's Edge? Well... At least it was plain to see that her old home was in good hooves, for she would trust few others than Archibald to protect a land she loved so dear... But the surprises didn't end there. The Dauntless had produced offspring, two sons, and Romani could only take a moment to imagine the twin boys who carried Archibald's strong genetics. Whoever the mare was to have won his affection must have been something special indeed.

Then, the question was turned to her, and the golden-red palomino was at a loss of words. With a deep breath, Romani flicked the cumbersome strands of her lengthy forelock from her azure gaze, leveling her stare with the large ebony behemoth in front of her. She had seen his fury, his wrath, and his prowess in battle... But now, he was calm, collected, and mindful. She was humbled that he was so at peace around her.

"I'm well," she murmured softly, unable to keep all the melancholy from her voice, "Or as well as a gypsy like myself can be. Kasai and I have been traveling since the terrible Wraith's plagued Helovia." A particularly troubled look crossed the mare's features, pulling dark-tinted lips downwards into a frown, but just as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. She would not go into detail of her captures, of the many times in which she had been held against her will... "I... Used to reside in the Edge, as a Protector." Romani risked a rueful grin in Archibald's direction, the azure depths of her eyes sparkling in mirth and good-nature. Would he be surprised by her choice of dedication? "I served under Destrier and Kaj. Are they still among your ranks? I... Had a mate, back then, and a daughter... But they've gone the way of the wind." Gone, perhaps never to return. The thought caused her heart to clench.

"So I've begun to wander. I'm glad that you've settled, Archibald, and that you've obtained a good, noble purpose. You've been in my thoughts over the years since we last parted company."

The Past is Never Far