the Rift

[RANDOM EVENT] Come back to you (closed)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I’d gathered the materials he asked of me, three spheres, all coated with some other craft. One calm morning I rose early, while the sky was dim and the last few toads were playing their vocal harmony. Those balls were hidden beneath the coating of feathers that grew along my nape, I fashioned a crude sort of harness to hold them in place while my body was in motion—the thick banding strands were woven from gold, there was a small buckle attached to one end that encircled my neck and lashed itself upon another strand until the whole contraption was snug.

Wings took to heaven, my direction was aimed for a forgotten slice of land that had been mostly abandoned by Helovia. The dead land, as we started to call it. It was a valley of nothing green, weeds refused to stretch their roots to this unholy place. I flew overhead, never crossing the borders and never going lower than the clouds, always staying within sight of the high sun. Why hadn’t this slice of territory returned to normal? Was it just another burial ground? (Ground for the walking dead) Those who had been inflicted but never cured, perhaps even beyond a cure that this world could offer.

It was a land of sadness and lost hope. I flew on, gazing at the southern tip of yet another landmass. This one was without its former glory, the lords had taken a large sum of their powers to some other location and left this holy soil as a reminder for mortals who still worshiped at their former site. My feet touched upon familiar ground, the way these stones felt beneath my feet was ever the reminder of a time when our world had been seen through the eyes of a child. It had been a place of light and wonder.

His shrine was up ahead, I took my time arranging the spheres directly at the foot of his alter, an offering that had to be just so. The harness, I melted into pliable gold and gently folded my gift back into the earth where it had come and served its purpose. Once satisfied I stepped away and bowed my crown to his honor, “May this do ye fine. I have completed thee’s task.” Elsa, Cashmere, and Finn. Ice, stone and leather.

OCC: Midas is returning from his quest!

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

Dust to dust.

"Someone really should dust that old thing..."

Words rumbled from the very stones themselves. Pebbles stirred with the vibrations, dancing in orderly and rhythmic patterns as the ground shifted and molded to make way for their creator. The God had been sleeping - nay dreaming. Dreaming of creation, and a new face of Helovia. Of the what-could-be's that this land was capable of, were its inhabitants not quite so selfish and fleeting. But they were. They always had been. Concerned with their own intuitions and goings-on, they led their lives with the bright and fervent energy of ones who know that they will die soon. Even though the God knew this of them - knew that their lives past by in a wink - he still had hope. Hope that they would change, and do and become more than they were.

Hope that more would be like Midas.

"But then again, would good would it do? It would just get dusty again-"

The God's voice was amused and slightly groggy, as finally the earth parted revealing the mahogany giant. His dark wings folded easily against his flanks, as he kindly peered down to the golden lad. "-and I like the rocks." he concluded with a joyful wink.

It seemed so very long ago that Midas had come here, asking to be like him. It still made the God chuckle, just to think of it. Like him indeed, as if that would bring Midas joy. "Did you find it difficult to work with the crafters?" He inquired as the three orbs rose into the air. Although they were heavy, having their centers comprised of gold, they floated like bubbles towards the God's bright gaze. Ice. Leather. Stone. It was an interesting combination. The God might have thought Midas would have sought out Sohalia, wielder of crystal and member of his old home for partially fulfillment of this task. Then again, the God knew that the move to the Falls had not been easy. He was glad to see Midas bearing the weight of his duty.

OOC: Can you post the links where each ball was covered?

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

It was most often that the Earth chose to simply listen to his children when we prayed. I expected nothing more and nothing less, “be grateful for your breath,” I heard my mother whisper from some murky memory, “this very air is a gift from above.” His worship is upon my lips and it is for his glory that I’d toiled, my reward or punishment was merely a repercussion to actions. These orbs, beautiful in their own way could have remained at the base of his alter for a lifetime—and I’d been just as grateful to have met those interesting folk; far outside my familiar group of comforting acquaintances.

This world was more beautiful and devastating than anyone could imagine. Each inhabitant as unique as the sphere’s that lay before my bent head. They carried some fleeting story that only the passing of time would see washed away; he likely knew the wide and breathe of each soul. I felt the stirring beneath my feet, right forelimb buckled forward and lowered myself in a revered bow to the god of my father and his before him. There was a whisper, thick enough to seem born from the very core of this globe.

“Father,” I whispered quietly. The familiar quickening of this aging heart was familiar, it thumped double fold with anticipation and excitement. We were foolish creatures by nature, only struggling when it seemed fit to suit ourselves and I considered myself no different from their ranks. He spoke and I smiled, shinning teeth glimmering through the darkness of my lips. A childlike haze fell across the calculated wisdom that I’d earned through years of life—it was always like this at first. There was no greater joy or peace than standing in his presence and simply basking in the protection of feeling small.

Knowing that there was so much more to this world than my small mind could begin to comprehend.

Crown rose and legs straightened when he’d finally emerged from the ground, gaze rose to meet his steady pools that had always regarded me with a patient love. His question is one that was easily answered, “Nay, father,” I paused, watching as he caused those elements to rise, “I’ve met three crafters, two of which serve under ye’s careful eye.”
“It was a joy to witness their art for myself, even in this small way. So unique...” I paused again, lingering on the leather that encircled one sphere, “There is great beauty in their souls…”my tone softened as I asked, “Does ye believe there is more goodness in Helovia, than evil?”

OOC: Opps! Sorry, I knew that!

http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=11013 – Finn and his leather craft.
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=13258 – Elsa and her ice craft.
http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=14336 – Cashmere and her stone craft.

MIDAS & FINA

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

Dust to dust.

Midas' constant diligence was something that the God would never cease to be appreciative of. He could always count on his painted charge to do his best, and very often, he would do even more. It was a quality which lacked in the youths that the God had the fortune of seeing, the few times he stepped from the dark and cool Earth and onto the soil. They came to him, as they always did, thrusting respectful hello's and wishes at him, giving him the chance to see what caliber of heart and soul they possessed. Some were pleasing, and others less so. But Midas...Midas' heart truly was as gold as the stones beneath his hooves. And for that, the God was well pleased.

At Midas' question, the God furrowed his brow - his bearded bottom lip bobbed slightly as his lips puckered in thought. It was an interesting question to be sure, one that the God did not often take the time to dwell upon. During the reign of the wraiths he surely would have answered yes - but he was not so confident now, that even with the darkness dispersed, that the darkness had been eradicated. Twice now darkness had fallen across Helovia - Once on his (and his siblings doing), and the other by some other force. But simply because evil did not wear its shadow on the outside, did not mean that it no longer beat in the hearts and minds of Helovians.

Shifting his weight, the God sighed, smiling wearily. "Perhaps Midas...Although I fear I don't even know what evil is anymore. There are some, who might find a hurricane or earthquake evil. Who would think a venomous snake, upon biting them, evil. But is this not false? There is no evil inherent in any of these acts, even if they cause great pain and suffering. Just as an act that accidentally produces good consequences is not in itself good, so too an act with bad consequences fails to be itself bad."

Realizing his gaze had drifted ambiguously into the sky, the God chuckled to himself, and lowered his kind gaze once more. "Evil is only evil if we allow it to be Midas." He concluded.

The orbs, still dancing upon the breeze, began to spin slightly. Rock, Leather, and Ice began to part from the gold underneath, melting together under intense (but heatless) pressure. So immense did this weight become, that it glowed whitehot, casting a brilliant and blinding glow outwards. After a moment, when it cooled, seemingly nothing remained, but a faint wisp of cloud. The cloud billowed and grew, rising above Midas. Rather anticlimactically, the cloud merely dispersed on the passing breeze, once this little display had finished. Watching this with dark eyes, the God smiled. "I am pleased with the outcome of your task, Midas. Never wish to be anything other than what you are. What you are my child, is strong, steadfast, but malleable and understanding. The gold that you control exhibits only some of these properties. It is time that your abilities expand, to suit the leader you have become. Now not only gold bends to your desire, but every metallic substance. Some are harder to coax from the ground, but all shall do your bidding. Know that this is a more powerful gift than I usually grant; I trust you shall use it carefully."

Congratulations! Midas has received the following upgrade to his magic:
:: [Magic: EarthxFire(U)| Able to melt any metal and craft non-magical items]
:: [Restrictions | Can only be used in areas where the type of metal would normally be found. Cannot create weapons/armor in battle (must be created prior). May only craft 1 large item per season.]

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

My father and friend didn’t answer quickly, I lowered my gaze from him—watching with easy amusement as the elements bobble around on invisible strings. He was old, wiser than most, if this question couldn’t be trusted with him; then who else? This was the man who had coaxed the bitter taste of vengeance from my tongue and replaced its pungent aroma with sweet forgiveness. When Earth finally does respond I glanced up, ears erect and forward. Willing to learn, willing to listen. He stated a notion that was simple to my mind, yet—complex enough to silence further prodding. I hadn’t ever given much thought toward nature being a source of evil; a desert storm, flood, or even forest fires…they were simply happenings of this world. No intellect drew them to strike specifically.

However there came the question of moral hearts, wasn’t lying and murder a sinful action that was inherently purposeful and wrong to our eyes? Or was their choice simply another test of ourselves, a chance for those of flesh and blood to dig deeper from within and draw out an impossible reaction. A wise horse knew that a snake would bite and thus didn’t purposely dig his foot into the nest after being bitten once. But it also didn’t mean that said snake reacted purely out of spite and thus deserved eternal scorn. I shivered, knowing that I’d be thinking and praying upon this later. Crown dipped again when he finished, this time striking the shimmering gem across my chest in a soldiers salute.

Evil was only evil if we allowed it. Just as our foes had the choice to turn a circumstance into misfortune, it was our choice to nurture goodness and forgiveness. A thing that was better learned through lessons of strife rather than a comfort life. A creature wouldn’t grow unless pushed to the breaking point, and it was only upon the threshold of destruction that the true measure of our souls could be weighted in.

As I was pondering this and the gravity of meaning the lord of earth did something more. He didn’t speak again (at least not at first) the craft’s I brought began to spin, drawing in upon themselves. I started unintentionally, pools jerking up to witness the golden elements begin to disappear. Their brilliant glow was blinding and I had to look aside; just the tips of feathers started to spread from my barrel as if to lean forward and shield view. After a moment the light receded and I was allowed to turn back, once again settling.

Twin pools widened in astonishment, the spheres were gone; nothing remained save for a shivering flicker of smoke. My mouth gaped apart as if to form words, instead a sigh that was more of a gasp trailed forth, I thought that perhaps he’d taken the elements as tribute and the fragile flicker would disappear on the next whiff of air. Instead it seemed to take on life and grow; larger and larger the smoke spread until it turned into a cloud; cranium tilted, following the exhibit like an enthralled juvenile.

Soon the mist dispersed to the four winds, scattering with invisible tendrils. Those paternal gems lowered to mine, I returned to him, eyes still round and they would impossibly draw further apart as his next statement further astonished me. It was only after he gave life to those words that I realized the precious gift I’d been given (entrusted with). Beneath my feet was a humming, a song of different elements singing out their universal tune. The words were soundless, more of a vibration that was felt through my soul. He had just opened a doorway for this mind, allowed me to hear a beautiful anthem without the use of ears.

Lips spread apart in a wordless smile, restoring the weary lines of travel and fatigue—refreshing my appearance to a younger state that better suited a lad who’d only seen six or so Frostfalls (and not one who'd visited his twentieth birdsong). Breath hitched and a knot slipped into my throat, I dipped crown forward and brushed the earth with my lips in reverence for the honor I’d been shown, “I shall not fail ye in this.” A promise that I’d not seek to be anyone but myself, a promise that I’d try callously to fulfill his desires and never misuse this power. It didn’t seem good enough though, my efforts paled in comparison to what mercy and tolerance I’d been shown (it had my whole life), “I…I lack the words to thank ye…properly.” Head still bent I added with hushed note, “Thank ye.”

There was no way to balance the scale between us, he offered air and land for my feet and head to rest upon. Power to produce enjoyment and protect his other earth children—water to quench a thirsty throat and sweet nourishment from the growing flora to mask hunger and strength our bodies…how could a man ever seek to complete with that? “Ye has always been there as a guiding force, I am…humbled and pray I’ll be worthy of thee.”

MIDAS & FINA

Helovian Ancient
Admin

The GOD of the EARTH

Dust to dust.

Midas' sincerity and gratitude exuded from his being, as it always did. The Earth could not remember a time when the paint had anything but complete faith. There were few like him in Helovia. Few with the respect and integrity to win the God's favour. Oh, his sister had her favourites, but they merely served as puppets, weaving and dancing some elaborate tapestry of heartache that she instigated. His other brothers....well. The sun had had a favourite, a few even. But now...Now that number had seemingly dwindled. The God didn't even pause to think of his electric brother. His having a favourite was simply too preposterous to consider. Then again, things always change...

Selfishly perhaps, he was glad that Midas had moved into the Falls, and even more so, that he had stayed. The God realized his reign might be taxing at times, but was grateful that he persevered. Perhaps his new gifts would prove a welcome distraction and aid.

The God tutted as Midas bent towards the ground. He seemed so much smaller when he did that, the Earth mused, looking down upon him. A radiant smile graced the Earth's lips, as he shook his horned head. "You know bowing has never been necessary Midas. The only display of thanks I need, is that you use this gift wisely, as you have with the other gifts that I have bestowed upon you. You have always made me proud."

The God paused, as if internally considering something. Indeed, he was. Much like a parent who knows the turmoils of their children's lives and yet refrain from interfering, so too did the God know of certain matters which had occurred in Midas'. When they had spoken before, Midas had asked of his family. Ktulu, the once crooked mare and bearer of his son had seemingly found love with another. The Earth God knew that this had not been easy for the paint, but was confident that he would move on. Indeed...it seemed he had. Still, the God resolved to keep quiet.

"Find me anytime, Midas. Or your Storyteller knows how to summon me from the pool."

With a kind smile, the mammoth body of the God began to disintegrate. His mane and horns broke into pieces of dust, carried away on the wind. While his strong legs and frame crumbled like stone. The rubble however, did not simply sit upon the ground, but continued to fracture and be carried away by the breeze.

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

At Earth’s beckoning my crown rose from its humble tilted position. I wet my lips and lifted gaze to his mercifully cheery disposition, head bobbed and a contented nod was all that would be needed to satisfy this god’s orders. It wasn’t moments later that he started to bid me farewell, my face fell just a little—saddened as I always was that he would be trailing back into heaven and leaving me alone on this holy mound. But it wasn’t true grievance, we’d met again and I could always converse with him in prayer; he would hear cries or whispers.

“Long days and pleasant nights, father of mine.” Cranium bent down and once again tapped the gem that he had given me years ago. His peace and strength lingered for a while afterward, I didn’t rise up and leave quickly; instead I lingered in quiet worship and meditation. Enjoying the singing and sounds of my own heart beating in this beautifully silent place.

After some time, my attention turned back toward the northern hills. The mountains seemed so small, I couldn’t see them as anything more than shadows. Limbs stretched, filling with a warm gust that trailed from the ocean. I leapt from the stones, leaving noticeable golden marks that faded after my presence had vanished. Gaze shifted toward the Falls, back to a family that I’d never expected to be totally grateful for. In this moment I’d begun to mend the home sickness which had plagued me for months.

MIDAS & FINA