the Rift

[OPEN] Water of the Womb

Reginald Posts: 165
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 3 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Ka'Mate :: Harpy Eagle :: None & Ka'Ora :: Harpy Eagle :: None M.E.

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

The ocean breathes blue and salt. It caresses the cliff side, a soothing lover; gulls cry above, indignant vermin, feathered rats riding high among the thermals. Sun glints off the ruins of what seemed to be a great structure of pale glass; it litters the ground, a sparkling field that heralds the arrival of the Grey-Eyed prince. He supposes that it is salty too. All things here are salty; the memory of the ocean burns the wound of pride branded against the sinews of his neck.

He remembers. She was a golden filly, an ugly one, larger than what he’s used to, peculiar in her power. He thinks of her relentlessly, of the stone that encased her form and the inexcusable crimes she committed against his form. He was smaller then, new to the elements, strong in his gait though the wind still only haltingly entered his lungs. It is different now. A complete cycle of the seasons was enough to chisel the outline of something great from the useless lump of failed baby flesh. There is muscle, a strong lung, a spark of demon’s fire in his tendons that carries him regally, imperiously, impudently across the field of glass, closer towards the broken wall, into a territory of strangers and undesirables.

He is angry--but this anger is no longer a childish residue of boyhood. It is a controlled poison, poised in his tooth, ready to lash even as his eyes burn grey coals. His presumption has gotten the better of him--for now, his mother is lost. Frequently he wandered from her hip, discarding his need for her service, her protection, her love. He grew out of that shell; he can run now, and away he ran from his mother’s embrace. Now, however, she is gone from him; and here he stands, the scent of his goliath of a father, strong and heady, present amongst the pitiful ruins by the sea. He does not sense his mother’s person here; his eyes burn ever stronger.

He makes to go through the wall, though it is a land and haven for strangers. He cares not. They mean nothing to him in the greater scheme of things—he goes in search of his father, his voice dead in his throat, for he does not need it. His new height has made him daring; his growing chest has made him arrogant. He will learn the fate of his mother regardless of the wishes of sea-side pests, and woe be unto the one who presumes to block his path..

@[Archibald]
"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

i'll burn it all down as my anger reigns
till it all burns down

Archibald was not new at this position. His mind was a cavern of experience and knowledge, of tactics that reached far beyond the realm of this dragon-land. He saw through the eyes of the birds, moved with the sway of the trees. He was Captain, the guardian, the protector. He knew each stone, knew each misstep that the herd members took, knew each intruder as they entered. Today, however, it was not an intruder that fueled his gallop, but the enticing scent of his eldest son.

Loretta bound at his side, their heads down as they bolted through the trees. The pair were a hurricane, shaking the earth in their wake with the massivity and power. Small animals scattered, seeking shelter and protection from steel clad hooves and claw ridden paws. The Dauntless puffed as he drew closer to his son, and, finally, as his steel grey appearance lightening in the distance, Archibald skidded into a smooth trot, ears pressed forward and head up. "Reginald." Archibald breathed out, his voice a booming calm of the storm. The Captain stopped, his balance square, as he looked at his son with molten gold eyes, swimming with different, unreadable emotions.

The colt before him was no longer the foal he had protected in the meadow. He was strong, muscle pulling across his thick, hardy bone structure. Thick, black feathers covered his hooves, reminiscent of the Dauntless. His lion's tail was thickly muscled, covered in the thick hair that matched his mane and feathers. His dappled grey coat rippled over his shoulders and thighs, muscles well toned by travel that would grow even harder and larger with proper training. His horn, solid and arched, stood as a proud crown on the prince's forehead, curling away from his inky forelock. Eyes of grey, such a reminder of the mother that birthed Archibald and the sins of his past, stared at him hard.

Archibald felt the wall of anger that followed behind Reginald, the familiar look of unstoppable determination of his mission etched in the silver eyes that mocked him. "My son." Archibald nodded to him, wanting to reach out and place a kiss on his boy's bulging neck. He knew the look in his son's eyes would not welcome it, and so the Dauntless stood statuesque, preparing for the lashing that his ironborn would surely give him. Where was Abraham and his dragon? Was Circe close to follow? Archibald would ask, but first he would give his son the stage he deserved, and the father would answer the questions that he could feel seething beneath Reginald's anger.

archibald the dauntless

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

There is a god of the sea, it seems; it spares the kingdom from grey-eyed wrath, tiny and inconsequential though it may have been. It is a monstrosity of a horse that emerges from the depths of the glass-spun village, an avalanche of a voice that speaks the Prince’s name: Reginald, he says. Reginald looks up into the molten eyes of this behemoth of childhood, this ghost of a mountain that engulfed all in his heady shadow, a giant that threw a colt just as awesome in power and strength as himself, along with the afterword of a twin.

Reginald stares at his father; he takes in the hard white of his hooves, so much cleaner than he ever remembered seeing—he realizes that the wilderness has left his father’s coat, and that the mark of a herd has been stamped on his father’s brow. A herd; what an alien idea that is to the Grey-Eyed prince! To choose constriction within the fellowship of bothersome pests and stupid beasts; the idea makes him ill. Eyes narrow; his lips twist slightly in his disgust, his rising panic. “Father,” he rasps, walking passed the great, dark stallion—staring about, taking in the image of the land, smelling the salt on his father’s skin. He cannot trace his mother anywhere.

“Where is mother?” He whirls around to face his father, and the feeling deeper than thought is present on his tongue; it sounds like anger, it bites like anger, and it boils in his stomach like acid. She’s not here, comes the thought, and he pushes it away; his tongue turns sour at the thought. He looks into his father’s eye, and the granite hardness of his pupil falters; he breaths hard through his nose, almost snorting, waiting impatiently for his father’s response. He is overwhelmed with this sudden feeling that the idea of a herd has brought him; his mother is not here, he cannot lie to himself. But his father is, and there’s consolation in that fact—it’s been some time since he’s seen those golden eyes.

@[Archibald] --WOW SORRY FOR THE WAIT

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

till it all burns down

Loretta, unashamed of the desire to show affection towards the yearling before her, took the first step to close the distance. Her tail wagged slowly and curled over her back. Her amber eyes were bright, showing her true happiness. Archibald was the heart of her heart, her entire world, and the offspring that he had produced with the gypsy queen were the malamute's offspring as well. And she was a proud, protective, and doting mother. A small whine escaped the cage of her jaws and she extended her muzzle to place kisses over Reginald's shoulder. I love him. Tell him, Archibald. Tell him. She pleaded, though without breaking her contact with the prince until he walked past his father. Loretta's ears lowered and she clenched her jaw. He is a boy, Loretta. Let him be.

"Your mother is a traveler. You do not know her heart as I do. She cannot be bound without consequence. I have searched for her in our meadow, each time without bounty. She knows my scent and the scent of this herd--she is intelligent. She will find me." The Dauntless owed his son no explanation, that was true--but it was free for the ironborn prince. Archibald's voice was hard, the eye of the storm washed over. He was relieved to see his boy, but the cutting of the child's words left bile in the back of the father's throat. Turning to follow his boy's movements as the colt turned to stare at him sharply, Archibald pinned his ears some and gnashed at the air between them--a warning, a warning he knew his son was intelligent enough to follow. The question lay in whether Reginald's pride would let him heed the warning.

"Where is your brother?" The Dauntless followed with his own question, lacing his words with the responsibility Reginald held as the eldest. The Dauntless himself was the oldest to a twin, one that he had protected and taught and loved--but he had not seen since his induction into the Grey, years ago now. Would Reginald let Abraham fall away as a memory, as Archibald had been forced to do with Vincent? Did Reginald care that his sibling was not at his side?

@[Reginald] -- WOW OKAY FORGIVE ME

archibald the dauntless

Through the ages of time

please tag me

It is only a moment he is forced to bear the affections of his father’s bitch, a moment that is blessedly short, interrupted by his movement. His ear flicks behind him, insolent and careless, listening to his father’s explanation, his answer to the ever burning question in the Prince’s brow. She will find me, says the behemoth, the landslide of a voice rumbling deep and sure through the ears of his Grey-Eyed son, rattling yearling bones that think themselves so awesome, so thick and powerful.

Reginald notices his father’s warning; he lashes his tail, his ears mirroring his father’s—a challenge of boyhood, a mark of his fallen, fully blossomed pride. He is displeased with his father’s answer; he does not care to wait for his mother to find anyone. He wants her now; he finds the panic in his breast becoming something intolerable and incessant. It inflames his bold irritation, initiating the challenge. He continues to stalk into the herdland with insolent steps, challenged but dismissive of the danger of his father’s wrath. What does he care for the stallion’s sense of duty to this place, this salt-laced waste of a kingdom, this poor replacement of a family, his brother and his mother, this place of foul-smelling imbeciles that, somehow, his father has decided to defend?

It is only when Archibald mentions his brother—his great, powerful, capable brother, his younger twin, the larger rib—that Reginald halts his provocative, rage-induced march toward the edge of the world. His breath holds for a span of moments; his limbs stiffen. Salt whistles in his ear. It is the first time he notices the sand that is mixed within the rich soil of this place. Slowly, he turns to face his father—away from insolence—grey eyes meeting the gold, curiously blank. “Have you seen his dragon? he whispers, monotone and dead, dispassionate; he cannot remember her name. “When he needs me, I’ll be found.” Eye contact breaks, for he blinks suddenly. Does he forgive his father’s ignorance of his mother’s whereabouts? No—for she’s still lost to Reginald. Yet the Prince’s anger has diminished somewhat, and he can still taste the echo of his father’s words on his tongue. A beast he may be—but he is no hypocrite. Their parents have passed some wandering germ through blood and sperm and marrow; the mirror has been turned.

“Why are you here, father?” he suddenly asks, eyes snapping back up to his father’s face. The challenge has been brief; now, it is genuine curiosity that stirs him—a curiosity tainted with contempt, surely, though the idea remains foreign passed his scorn. “Why do you live in a herd?

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

till it all burns down

Loretta waits for Archibald to tell the boy of her love, but the Captain does not. The indifference stung, and the bitch took her leave. I will hunt. She whispered, carefully and silently turning to the west to leave them. She bound away, her large, muscled frame oddly quiet in the forest. But, this was her home now, and she came to learn how to navigate it's intricacies. Aside from that, she had stalked into this land as silent as the fog that raised around her ankles, and had spilled blood, and slayed a dragon.

Archibald is silent and statuesque as he watches his son. There is some sort of childish tantrum that seeps from his grey pores, and Archibald merely waits for it to escape completely. His son was never the type to explode in his anger, no, that was Abraham's position. Reginald was calculating, cold, patient in his seething rage. The Dauntless knew this well, having guarded over his son when he was nothing but helpless and feeble, just a small mass of fur and bone and horn. The warlord blinked his golden eyes, tail flicking ever so slightly against his thick hocks, the ticking of a clock above them, moving time along as Reginald continued to stalk into the herdland. Finally, the ironborn prince regarded his question, and Archibald felt the tension of anger rise from his son's breast. "Dragons are powerful, but they do not replace blood."

Stepping forward, the behemoth closed the distance between him and his son with ease. He looked down into the eyes of grey solemnly and tilted his head some. He beckoned for his offspring to follow him, to walk with him, and to learn from him. Virgin-white feathers danced in the wind as Archibald began to walk towards the cliff sides, away from the density of the forest. "Duty is something I was born with, something that was fueled in my like a fire. It is time you hear my story, son, and meet your grandmother." The scarred beast continued to talk until he finally stopped, just outside of the cluster of trees, listening to the sound of the foamy waves as they crashed against intensely sharp rocks.

"I was born in a land far away from here, a land that is no longer inhabitable. The name was Isilme, and much like Helovia, there were several herds that inhabited its entirety. I belonged to the Mystic Woodlands for as long as I can remember, and this place reminds me of the ancient trees that I grew with oh, so much. The Woodlands was a place of turmoil, mostly, and my mother trained me hard. I have a twin brother, much like you and Abraham, and his name is Vincent. I have other brothers, too, nine of them; all lost to this world. That does not matter."

"Mandrake, my mother, trained me to be a warrior. Out of the ten of her sons, I was her greatest success. My skills in battle and my wisdom of tactics far surpassed those of my siblings. I grew in the ranks of the Woodlands until I was training warriors under the eyes of Roanne the Sentinel, the military lead of the herd. Soon, dangerous shadows attacked the lands, and I fought hard and long until I knew my family had fled to safety. I followed them, finding Helovia. On entrance, I was approached by every herd leader but one, as well as an outcast band leader, each of them nearly begging for my battle prowess. I followed a mare into the Windtossed Foothills, finding myself a warrior there. I soon gained purchase and raised in ranks--from warrior, to General, to Chief."

"I was challenged in my position for Chief, and lost to dragon fire." Archibald motioned to his scars briefly, before continuing his tale. "I found the Grey, a mercenary band, and joined their ranks as the General once more. We invaded the Foothills and I took my rightful place once more. I met your mother, and we came together. Our first child was a beautiful blue filly, but she was taken unjustly. Her name was Callisto, and she never saw the light of day. Her death was the first snow of the season, and I knew the gods were crying for our loss. I scouted the north for some time before returning to your mother, and leading my troops in to invade this herdland you stand on now. I lost a warrior that day, and Loretta killed a dragon with her teeth. I returned to the Foothills and denounced my rank, and I left. I found your mother again, and we created you and your brother. At your birth, Lakota, our dearly beloved friend, kept your mother alive. You were her greatest feat. For most of your life I stayed an outcast, keeping my skills sharp and teaching you boys, and loving your mother. Finally, after not seeing Circe for weeks, I decided I needed to fall back on my nature, on what I was in truth. I came here, and I stand as Captain."

Archibald looked to his son, his eyes hard and emotionless, as he looked at the eyes of his mother in his seed. "We all are born with something, Reginald, and mine is duty. I am to serve, lead, and protect. The earth needs me."

archibald the dauntless

@[Reginald]

Through the ages of time

please tag me