Luken Posts: 27
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.0 :: Three Years [Tallsun Born] HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow
If I Shout and Can't Be Heard,
I Want to be Destroyed at Your Hands</style>

While I Can Still be Called "Me"

Tonight, the pain is bad.

The singed, sun-burnt like marking of the Sun that clung to the skin of my right shoulder aches something fierce, but I hold my tongue against cursing the pain. Never, no matter the aches and discomfort that the mark brings, do I complain of the soreness that it brings, for doing so would revoke my chance at following in the footsteps of my father and gain magic of my own.

Yes, it hurts... But I relish the pain. I accept it, because it keeps my mind clear and focused on the task that I had yet to complete. Some days are worse than others, and today, well... It just happens to ache a little more than any other. It was a constant in my life, and I quite enjoyed that something was constant in the mess that things had been as of late.

Anyway.

The pain had roused me from my slumber nestled beside Destrier and Suli, and so I had lugged myself up to my hooves and had decided to meander the familiar areas of my home. I was careful to avoid brushing my right shoulder against any trees or low-hanging limbs, for the roughness of the bark would be quite unpleasant, and I only came to a stop when I reached one of the bubbling springs that dotted the Edge's landscape. Heaving in a deep breath I lower my large head and flinch softly at the feel of the cold water brushing against my lips, then suck in large gulps of cool water, ears listening to the sounds of the sleeping world around me.

It's a quiet night with the sound of insects chirping and singing in the distance, and the moon is high in the sky. It will be dark for a few more hours, but I'm content to simply stand by the spring and collect my thoughts. My life had changed since my return to the Edge... Hell, it had changed since my father's return to the Edge, and I was glad to have him back in my life. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't abandon him again... Destrier deserved so much more than that.

Lifting my head upwards and swallowing the cool water that soothed my parched throat, my warm, chocolate eyes glanced to the moon that shone brightly over head, eyes roaming the stars that flickered in the expanse of darkness, and my thoughts turn to my sister.

"Oh, Laila... Where have you gone?"

@[Kahlua]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The queen snuck across the borders of the Edge, her hooves daintily picking their way through the shattered glass that lay across the ground. Having been to see the Lady Moon's shrine, and graced by the presence of the goddess herself, Kahlua's heart felt lighter, less burdened and it was a comfort now for the moon to shine down upon her from above. Maybe it was her imagination, but it seemed to her that the moon guided her path, shining brightly on the easy paths through the glass graveyard. With one final glance up to the moon, and a deep bow of her head in thanks, the queen entered the Edge and for the first time in many weeks she held her head high.

Thirsty from her trip, the queen angled her path towards one of the springs that bubbled in the Edge and, upon her arrival, lowered her nose to the cool waters. The drink felt good after all of the traveling she had done. She had not wanted to be gone long, for she had promised Kaj that she would be better, present here in the wood more often, but she had needed to see the lady moon.

Unobservant as she was, the queen did not notice another standing by the pool until he spoke. Laila... the name was familiar to her, interestingly enough, and the queen furrowed her brow as she searched through the shadows for the one who had spoken. “I know that name,” she offered, about to go on explaining, when she suddenly laid eyes on whom it was that has spoken. Starting, the queen felt a new darkness start to ebb back into her body. She hated that she could remember every evil she had committed as a monster of the darkness, and yet she could.

Every bite she had offered, every cruel word, every lunge and sneer, every horrible thing she had thought... she remembered it all, and as she looked at Luken now, all she remembered was wanting to destroy him. She hadn't even known him... Shivering softly, she stepped back, away from him, hoping he did not run. “I'm so sorry,” she blurted out, the words hardly a whisper as she tried to find her voice. Would he hate her now, run from her before she could explain? She hoped he would understand that she was no monster... she had never wanted to be. However, Helovia had been both unbelievably kind and unmentionably cruel to her. She had just happened to come upon Luken in one of the latter moments.
.KAHLUA
Image Credit to Val

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Sparrow

It had to have been the painful mark that ached upon the skin of my shoulder that kept me from realizing that I wasn't alone. Maybe I had grown aloof and pathetic in my meager three years of life. Maybe I wasn't meant to be a Protector, following in the hoof-steps of my father, for if I had allowed someone to sneak upon me like this, then what promise did I have on the battlefield? How could I ever hope to protect the ones that I loved if I couldn't even watch my own backside?

The chocolate brown orbs of my eyes seek out the voice that speaks softly through the darkness, my head snapping back and ears pinning minutely at the unnamed threat. I squared my massive shoulders, allowing my height and general bulk to aid with intimidation... But it's as my eyes adjust once more to the slim moonlight that slipped through the canopy of trees that I realize just who I'm staring at, and who I'm trying to passively threaten.

Kahlua. Queen of the Edge.

Kahlua. The monster that haunted my dreams.

For one brief, absurd moment, I'm torn between bolting in terror or standing my ground and dropping to a bow before my ruler, even though my heart felt detached when I looked upon her... But it seems as though the Sunshower is reacting no differently than I. Where my body is tense, muscles poised and ready to push me to safety, I can see that hers is quite the same. It's as though she doesn't know what to make of me, of seeing me, and once again I'm struck with the daunting question of if she even knew who I was.

Did she remember? Did Kahlua remember trying to tear me apart? Did she remember almost succeeding, had Aaron not shown up when he did? Did she? These questions run rampant in my head, and I am frozen, standing with cream-kissed hooves digging into the dirt, ears swiveled forward, nostrils flaring, my eyes narrowed as if daring her to try something...

But then Kahlua, the Queen of the Edge, the Sunshower, apologizes, and my fear of her slides from my shoulders like fresh spring rainwater. 'I'm so sorry.'

"... My Queen," I utter her title with respect, squaring myself up once more, but not to appear threatening. No, this time, I stood in formation before my Queen, as a good soldier should. My head is tucked, neck arched powerfully, shoulders and haunches squared and ready. My eyes focus completely upon her, the chocolate depths shining in the sparse moonlight. "Please... You don't have to apologize to me." She could demand for me to run, and I would run. She could plead for me to swim, and I would swim... She could ask me to kill, and I would kill.

"That... That time was terrible for us all, I think... But few know that while we uninfected suffered, it's those who were infected that suffered more. Do... Do you remember, Ma'am? What it was like?" Because that was torture in itself, wasn't it?

The queen, fool that she was, did not notice or seem to be bothered by Luken's attempt to intimidate her by standing tall. She was lost in her own world, in memories of scorpion tails and mouth pincers, of exoskeletons and knowing what it was like to be really and truly evil. The past swirled around her, within her, reminding her that even though none of her herd might blame her for the loss of Aurelia's companion, she was still an evil creature with a heart marred by blackness. It pained her to no end.

She was only pulled from her downward spiral of misery and self-pity when the stallion spoke, his voice causing her blue eyes to focus once more on him, instead of the vivid images of the past that she had been seeing played out before her. He made a handsome warrior, standing at attention as he did, and the queen felt both happy and sad to see him alert before her. Vain as she was, it always gave her a little thrill to see them treat her like the queen she was; however, it also hurt her feelings, because even her very best of friends would sometimes skirt the truth with her, maybe saying what they thought wanted to hear instead of what actually needed to be said. Power had come with so many more responsibilities and nuances than she had ever imagined.

All she ever wanted was to be loved.

“Please, Kahlua is fine,”, she insisted as he called her ma'am, but already her mind was running away from her and her lips were turning down in a frown. Yes, she remembered. “It was awful... I don't think I ever knew how to hate something until I turned...” she shuddered. “Turned into a monster. And wanting to hurt my friends and family...” Her head shook as she looked up to him, innocent eyes wide and almost wet as the emotional girl recalled the days. Moving around the edge of the spring, to be closer to her warrior, she continued, commiserating with him, sharing her heart with him like a book shares its stories with any willing to read. “Once Lena healed me, though, I almost think the caves were worse. Didn't you feel trapped? I did.” She paused, looking back towards the wall with a sigh. “I like freedom.”

Turning back towards him, she added almost as an afterthought, “I'm afraid I never learned your name, my friend.” She hoped he would not be offended.
.KAHLUA
Image Credit to Val

Sparrow

My Queen insists on the fact that I call her by her first name, but such things come unnaturally to me and my tongue. I had always called Mirage by her title; Queen, as she was, and I was but a mere soldier... Well, a gangly colt at the time, but that was beside the point. Either way, I would show the same respect to Kahlua. It lessened my uncertainty about her, however, at her insistence that I simply call her by her given name, reaffirmed my belief that she thought that we were equals... But still. Old habits died hard, I suppose.

My ears slowly swivel towards her, listening to the brief tale of horror that had become the Sunshower's life during the time of her infected state. I did not know this 'Lena', but I was grateful that she had healed my Queen of such atrocities...

"Yes," I answer honestly, my blush-kissed lips forming the word slowly, as though my mind continued to dawdle in those terrible, dark caves, "Yes... I quite like my freedom as well, Ma'am. Er... Kahlua. I'm sorry." How awkward it was... But if she insisted, then I would try.

Then, she asks my for my name, and for the longest of moments I stand with my mouth agape, because yes, I hadn't ever told her my name. In the past, there had never been any need, seeing as I had been running for my life and she had been trying to rip me apart... Still, I hold no ill will towards her. Not anymore. Like myself, she was but a victim of unforeseeable circumstances.

Lifting my large head, a small, proud smile upturns my lips. Pride would always bubble from the depths of my chest whenever I could speak of my relation to my father; he was, at this point, everything in which I hoped to become. "I am Luken," I say to her, slowly dipping my head forward in a brief nod as though a bow. I'd try and bow upon one knee, but it was always cumbersome, given my large and bulky frame... And with the mark of the Sun that burned and scalded my right shoulder, the pull of muscle could only be described as terribly uncomfortable. "Son of Destrier and brother to Laila... Although, regrettably, I haven't seen my twin sister in many moons." I could only hope she was alright...

If Kahlua was smarter, more observant, more diligent in assessing the nuances of others' actions, she might have wondered if Luken was telling her the truth about liking freedom, or just telling her what she wanted to hear. She might have assumed that he was just another follower, afraid to speak the truth, assuming she just wanted to be affirmed in what she said. And at that assumption, she might have sighed heavily, wishing there were more in her herd like Evangeline, who would tell her what she needed to hear no matter if those words were likely to make her happy or upset. But ah, she was not smart or observant or diligent. She was just Kahlua, who trusted those around her to speak their own truths; just Kahlua, who did not stop to wonder whether someone was being deceitful; just Kahlua, who tried her hardest to see the best in everyone.

So, instead of questioning Luken as he stuttered in response, she smiled and chuckled warmly, feeling the wind swirl up about her in a playful manner. She had noticed the winds responding to her whimsy and fantasies as of late- perhaps a gift from their goddess onto the herd for pleasing her in some manner? “There's no need to be sorry, my friend,” she murmured back. Though she had told him to call her Kahlua, it honestly didn't bother the girl's proud head to be addressed as the queen she was. She was kind, but she certainly had myriad faults- vanity among them.

Luken, she repeated in her head several times, as was her habit, matching it with the image of the stallion who stood before her so that she might remember it. But she stopped sort when he recited two names that she was familiar with, remembering that he had spoken Laila's name earlier. “Destrier is a kind soul, you're lucky to have him as a father,” she responded at first, but her words were distracted as her mind drifted off to another time. Laila, Laila... It took a few seconds, but the memory slowly returned to her. “I believe I was asked to apologize to Laila, for a wrong-doing against her...” She frowned. It had been so very long ago that she had been asked, it was difficult to pull the memory in its entirety. “For the attack against her, when the Basin and Foothills invaded,” she concluded unhelpfully. “I never did find her either... I'm so sorry. Do you know where she might have gone?”
.KAHLUA
Image Credit to Val