the Rift

!! Sleepsong [Falls/Throat]

Laedere Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 5 years old (Frostfall birthday)
Ardere :: Plain Dolphin Leviathan :: Boil Abba
Laedere
❈ when you go home everything looks different ❈
The land upon which mine feet travel seemed to hast been broken upon by a plethora of weary souls. Souls that thee might not recognize unless thy mind is willing to ponder for what may seem a millennia. Mine pallor flints seem to float over thy sodden terrain as mine roseate orbs flicker 'round and meticulously committed it to mine memories.

The way these trees curled 'round thy edges, swarming above as if they had the essence and vigor to protect thee from the sun and all of its malicious mannerisms. Mineself was mirthful that thy will dost allow thy trees to block the sun from mine pelt, uncertain how willing mineself would be should I hast to feel the enkindling of mine flesh. Mineself cannot handle hast to understand thou pain again. For once hast been quite enough for mine mind.

Alas, mine audits listened carefully to the flickering rustles of tree limbs as the light wind darest move in closer to mine heart, to mine position. Dost mine caring soul move forward, mine partition in mine old home had been the truest track of trials and tribulations that thou might have seen. And, as mine limbs chugged forward through thou forest, mine eyes continue to take in the glorious colours of the world that danced around me.

Perhaps mine travels 'round yonder would prove to be useful for once in mine life. 'Round in circles, mineself was going, however. And, with this slow rate crawling, mineself wondered if I'd ever scrabble out of thou's forest of bidden memories and marred pains.

"Laedere speaking." | Thoughts/others speaking.

I ask that only @[Africa]/Hector and @[Midas] post in this thread for my sanity as I get used to her style of writing and figure out which herd she will reside in. Thank you!

Coding || Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
</style>

A coward judges all by what he sees

The threshold was quiet, far more silent than I remembered during the many years that I had been able to transverse its timbers and thickets. There were fragments, pieces of evidence littering the air and ground of souls whom had passed through, lingering only a little while before being gobbled up by the various clans that lived in the surrounding areas. I walked one of these silent trails, seeking those that might still need assistance and finding a tranquil peace from the whispering wind rustling a thick canopy overhead. This was a good place for meditation and prayer.

There was a scent I’d been subconsciously trailing behind at a leisurely pace, despite having been following at a distance toward the start, our separation eventually began to grow shorter by this steady pace. Soon said lass came into view, her alabaster wings heavy with the weight of something that fluttered back and forth across the main feathers and span of her right wing. I paused, sniffing and angling muzzle toward her retreating form with curious caution. “Hail!” I called out, quietly and with careful regard, “Good day to ye.”

Fina broke the cover above and alighted her flaming frame across an overhanging limb. She had been trailing the sky, preferring the open air to one of confinement, I didn’t bother to glance over but instead offered the phoenix a brief well-meant nudge of acknowledgement. The fire child chirped with rare fondness, pulling her aqua gaze back to the visitor I’d been greeting.

image credit to ______
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

With a heart much lighter than years gone by, Africa travelled into the north. She had made the journey twice already in the last month, and both times had been so fruitful that the stroke of her wings today was eager, hopeful. A light, warm breeze ruffled the bristly-needle green canopy of the Threshold as she swooped between great groaning boughs; older perhaps than even her own parents, and theirs. Her stocky parrot body was not as nimble as the Roc who sailed along elegantly in her company, it was heavy in proportion to her wingspan, and her flight was awkward and erratic, playful. “Slow down...” Silas insisted, worried with fair reason that she would at any point collide head-long with one of the rough mahogany trunks in her path. The parrot screeched though defiantly, her raucous taunt falling heavily to the floor of the forest like foamy water from a cliff.

With the swishing golden shores of the Thistle Meadow far behind, they fell beneath the emerald awning and deeper still, until reaching grey talons found grip upon rough bark; an outstretched limb, heavy towards the end, with foliage fingers brushing backwards and forwards through litter carpeting the earth. Naturally Africa bounced, hooked bill eager to taste and gnaw, but the zephyr shushed her preoccupation with a swift click of his own mouth. “We aren’t alone.” Pinning pupils turned towards the ground ahead curiously, bright yellow irises shining as sunlight pierced the flimsy shade for a moment. She could see, as she craned also her small white cheeked face also, a pair standing by- Midas, and a lady whose face she hadn’t before noticed. They were a small distance away still, and began one foot after the other, carefully, skilfully, to climb nearer along her perch; beak clamped firmly, wings dancing to balance, by her sides.

“Rahhhh...” she said, unable to both understand the Helovian tongue or speak it, and turned a watchful eye to examine her friend; to decide whether or not she should actually present herself. Aside from the slow, mild breeze drifting between them (and the crude voice of the parrot); bursting occasionally, though it seemed with lax enthusiasm, the forest was quiet, tranquil. Silas remained in place, crouched comfortably and preening the long black feathers dressing his rear. Some words (sounds... noise) were exchanged between the duo below, and flames burst through the canopy towards them suddenly. “Fina!” The parrot’s mind laughed amusedly for her companion’s suddenly roused interest. She did not feel dissimilar about coming across the Phoenix’s bonded honestly, but had quite mastered her ability to hide it.

Image Credits | Table by SilkRapture

Hidden Account
Laedere
❈ when you go home everything looks different ❈
Mine audits pricked up at the sound of impending hooves. The way mine bodice twisted was near thrice times in different directions, audits shifting to attempt to pinpoint the sounds. Alas, mineself hast no need to be-eth on edge when words were flung into the air. Perhaps mineself would stumble across someone who mightest be mine new comrade. A new way of life wast called upon post haste should mineself be able to adapt to thine's new conditions thou darest to throw mineself into.

Mine wings pressed tightly against mine bodice as mineself spun to face his impending bodice. His words were simple, like mine hast been in the years past. However, the method of his speech was but little importance to mine mind. But, before mind words hast fallen from mine lips a sharp movement of fire-like proportions send mineself staggering backwards - mind afraid of thine ashes towering from thine heavens again. Mineself dost not wish to be set upon thine situations of death, destruction, and those which require mineself to fly to find safety.

Alas, mine fears were needless, and mine eyes lingered upon her frame and then that of the crowing parrot's form. "I'm humbly beseech thee to forgive mine previous transgression. Mine mind believed thou's avian wast heavenly fires from mountains of ash and lava," mine voice spilled from mine lips in delicate phrasings, a bow of mine head in apologies before daring to raise mine head and allow mine gaze to reach towards his. Hopefully he dost not find mine actions to be appalling. Hast I been prepared for thine fire to be upon an avian's flesh so unnaturally mineself would not darest to hast taken a step back.

ooc goes hurr.

Coding || Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
</style>

A coward judges all by what he sees

It seemed Fina was able to scare our company into a near fight or flight response; obviously her sudden entrance had changed the mood rather swiftly. I forced a smile despite the frantic manner to which this lady very nearly retreated in the opposite direction, rich vocals nickering and trying to sooth ruffled feathers between the two. However, the softly colored lass seemed to recover rather effortlessly, she turned those curious eyes back to meet my encouragement, an unnecessary apology spilling forth. Tenderness naturally swamps this soul, a harmless dose of empathy, “Yar, tis I who should cry ye pardon.” Crown dips toward the honeyed gem that rested below, gently brushing the base with the lightest of touch. “It was never my intent to frighten thee.”

Fina hissed, having caught sight of something in the branches of where she was perched. I paid her little heed and instead drifted on in the conversation, “She is a phoenix and my bonded. Ye has nothing to fear from either of us.” It was then that the image of Silas flitted into my cranium, forcefully pressed there by none other than Fina. I blinked and shifted one eye in her direction, ‘was Africa around?’ very rarely did one see a bonded without its soul partner. I hardly had time to notice that another feathered friend was sitting near the Zephyr before my attention was quickly returned to present company, “I am called Midas and my companion,” Pools shifted to the firey creature who’d puffed up her feathers and was currently scowling at the midnight colored avian, “is Fina.”

image credit to ______

Deceased

Trying in vain to conceal the consuming, relentless enthusiasm which seemed always to grow when the fire-bird was near, Silas clicked his beak and swooped from the boughs of the rustic old pine. It was well that he’d spent those few minutes grooming. Glossy black feathers captured a dull, bronze form of her brilliant radiance, adding to it intricate star-like speckling, so that he looked spectacular; long, ostentatious purple-tinged crest and tail flared, a violent clash of lightness and dark, and he descended delightedly, boldly, towards her.

Africa watched fondly the vain appeal of her soul-mate as he sought yet again to win Fina’s friendship. She was a beautiful creature, aloof and to him, cruel. His insistent interest despite that, was a great source of entertainment however, and should the Roc have been so aware (above and beyond his suddenly narrowed focus); he might have scowled in protest at her crude pleasure. Bright round eyes turned back towards the mare and the stallion; the striking winged mare, and her brother, affection tickling her heart, pulling her also from the branches to the cluttered forest floor.

As sharp black nails fell upon warm, raw carpet, she closed her eyes tightly and began to concentrate. A light, strange mist gathered suddenly like a flimsy, swirling blanket around her (though she was never entirely hidden). Bones began instantly to crack and bend, shifting beneath the growing canvas of shrivelling feathers and expanding mottled fur; new legs began to descend and one wing to shrink away as her body developed, inflated. In a matter of seconds, ten or twenty, she was swaying across four knees, white and grey, gathering strength enough to walk forward; orientated and again poised.

So magical was her ability to transform (and painful and even gruesome), that a cloak of soft green velvet now rested along her back, falling across her flanks, and a crown of gold dancing dragons was nestled amongst licking flames upon her brow- both having appeared out of nowhere. Normally too a leather satchel might have been tied beneath her left elbow, but the one-winged had lent it to the aspiring Sun Physician Sikeax, to store herbs collected and carry to World’s Edge.

Africa smiled as she approached the couple, weariness at last fading from her young, gentle eyes. “Hi Midas...” she greeted, passing another sweeter glance to the scowling Phoenix above, “...Fina.” Silas had settled (hardly) onto the branch she occupied, though with generous space still between. He was purring softly to himself, perhaps hoping his softer side might interest her. Twitching lips wandered back to find the stranger, lovely, pallid and marked with clean lines of green- curious. “Hello, I am Africa,” the Starry-Eyed cooed softly, “...my friend above is Silas, and we come from Dragon’s Throat in the south.”

Hidden Account
Laedere
But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

Mine feet shuffled uncertainly at thou's actions. For, after all, why wast it of such necessity to taunt mineself with the creation who dost have the ability to appear with flames. Alas, as mine pardon's fallest from mine lips the same falls from his. The way that he spoke twas but a comfort to mine mind in the circumstances to which I had stumbled upon.

Ye's pheonix is hissing, though. I doubt that these creatures really dost hiss in pleasure. Mine thoughts reeled, thou mine feet stayed secured upon thine's fine terrain. He offered his title, as well as that of his avian before the unthinkable darest to occur. For mine eyes just saw the barest of hints to what twas occurring mere feet away from our gathering. Though, I was uncertain if I could henceforth call thee stag a fere it dost naught bother me. As she turns to forms far from mine imaginations can believe mine eyes fall placidly upon her grey frame with her one wing.

Mine tongue darest to tie itself in the uncertainty of the situation. For, had she also tried to run from the heavenly fires? And, once her title is offered, mine lips opened in bewilderment. "Did thou come from a land of nary but fires and ash hailing from the sky," there was a slight pause as mine wing lifted, giving pure view to the bloodied bandage that dost loop across the dearth of feathers upon my appendage, "Mine mind dost believed that I would find nary from mine lands, from Pompeii," Mineself is elated at the thought that mineself might have found someone from mine lands in the midst of this new world. Alas, at the same time, another thought dawned upon mine mind - that I hadst naught given mine name. "Mineself beseeches thee to forgive mineself. I hadst forgotten to give mine title. Ye may call mineself Laedere. It is but mine pleasure to meet ye both, Africa and Midas."

ooc goes hurr.

Coding || Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Fina sneered at him, growing more and more perturbed by each passing second that he lingered by and by. Flaming feathers yearned for the midnight bird to draw near, press his beak against her spine and feel the heat of firelight. She was phoenix, bound by nature’s law to stand alone against all except her bonded. In a way the girl actually envied Silas; perhaps that was why his very presence was so greeted with little regard toward mannerism. He had the freedom to touch at will, and without the fear of harming another creature. She could scarcely brush the bark of trees or flora without sieging the plant life around her.

These few years of practice had taught her to dim the flames, which enabled said girl to touch inanimate objects without causing harm…To extinguish the light would mean death; there was no way for her to learn intimacy with anyone other than Midas. Dragons seemed immune to those flames, thus the reason why she favored the company of slithering serpents to that of her own kind.

When Silas came flying over, perching close enough for her to actually taste his scent upon her tongue. She stiffened and very nearly recoiled from said branch; yet instead she held on (obviously she’d been the first to perch so if anyone was to take flight again it would be him) watching with sharp eyes as he softly spoke. Flaming chest remained puffed, but his insistent cooing had lulled the tempered fire. Gaze gentled ever so slightly, turning from him with an almost blunt regard. Tail feathers fanned out from behind and flicked against the branch.

Meanwhile, I was starting to speak again. Lips flapping apart when I noticed that the young grey bird had moved from its perch to stand upon spongy turf. Honeyed gaze drifted over, only halfway curious as it appeared to be just an average avian. That mild curiosity didn’t last long, I was stunned into silence as said creature changed. Shimmering mist gathered from seemingly nowhere and everywhere; a quiet gasp passed where words should have been. The sounds of cracking bones and spluttering fragments crackled in the air.

Fina had grown silent in the trees and was actually leaning forward to see this transformation. Having completely forgotten her grief over Silas. The beginnings of a snarl curled my lips, feathers rose. Protectively stretching from their sheath, armored collar hummed, feeling the rush of heat course though my blood like hot iron. I seethed and waited, preparing for the worst possible spirit to emerge from that innocent looking frame.

When Africa solidified, my jaw had dropped open and gaze went wide like a child who had just witnessed his first bolt of lightning. For a moment the world held still and then she spoke. I unfroze, sliding feathers shut once more and relaxing into the soil once again, “Well met,” I replied softly, holding her gaze as if it was just us two.

When had magic grown within her?

Either way, I appeared to be the only one surprised or otherwise set back by this sudden development. The stranger, had asked a question and gone into finishing our introductions,“Yar,” I said, finally turning attention back to the painted lass with a wounded wing, “I currently hail from a land of water and timber.” Honeyed gaze slipped back to Africa, a small smile curling my lips before returning to our company, “Ye now stands upon Helovia soil," her wrapped appendage looked painful and poorly managed. An infection would set in if she didn't tend to those wounds soon, "There are medics nearby that could mend ye.”

Deceased

She was radiant. As difficult to behold as the golden orb shining down from the heavens, and Silas could not help but cast eyes to one side of her, eager though always to return. He was a night-soul, and she lived for the day; her smouldering body was irresistible and beautiful, but equally painful for his dark-loving violet gaze to look upon for any length of time. She stiffened in place, but he persisted foolishly, unmoved by the fire-like quality of her feathers; purring, cooing, and it seemed to have the effect fancied. The feathers adorning Fina’s breast flared, and her beak was turned from him- she neither fled, nor forced him from her vicinity. That was enough and the young zephyr settled himself on that branch, quite satisfied to roost by her (within her glow at least) for the moment.

Fine, careful hooves picked their path between the wiry grass tussocks, cushioned by the woven needle mat, allowing pastel yellow eyes to concentrate on the duo ahead of her. She could both see and feel each gaze as it swept across her frame; it was a sensation she had grown quite accustomed to through the years, so too the sideward glances and perplexed mutterings of those she happened to stumble across. Unassumingly she continued, not for one second flinching from their embrace, not deterred from their company in any way. If anything, and despite the quite apparent surprise strewn out through his features and comically slackened jaw, Africa was glad to have the Gallant’s company again. It seemed every time they came together these days (after living quite apart), she found the ache for his absence worsen.

There was always business to distract the pining mind though, and when Midas had greeted her softly, intimately, she turned dark wavering lashes from him towards the mare who was speaking next.

“No...” she giggled lightly, almost apologetically, because the tone of the stranger seemed confused and disbelieving; desperately eager. “I was born in Nyorm actually, quite a journey from these shores. It is nice to meet you Laedere; perhaps one day you can tell me about Pompeii, of the fire and ash.” It came as no surprise when Midas spoke of his (current) home this time, in fact, Africa returned easily a tender smile and nodded, looking curiously back to their company. At the mention of the pallid mare’s injury- the part of her wing looped with fabric, the Starry-Eyed agreed, adding (though she fancied he’d not mind anyway), “Will I come with you both?”

Hidden Account
Laedere
But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

Mine eyes meet both of them with gentle assurances. Mineself may not know of what this world wast, but mineself hast understood the mannerisms of most of those who had resided in mine lands with me before the fire and ash. He speaks of timbers and water and mine mind just barely dares to connect the dots to the idea that mineself would not find mine kin in these lands.

Sad eyes are what look upon the dappled mare now as she darest to giggle and say no, explaining wherest she may hail from. Sweet lyrics fall from mine lips now, as he addresses the wound upon mine feathered appendage. "It hast been tended before now. Though, mineself doubts another pair of eyes would not hurt," mineself paused, having accepted the fact that mineself would nare fly again. There twas a meek smile upon mine lips as the grey asked if she would accompany us upon this journey. A swift nod in the more gracious forms of a bow to both of them before mineself. "It would be mine honour for thee to accompany should Sire Midas hast such desires."

Mineself flicks mine wings, ruffling mine feathers as mine body stood still. The bandage fluttered in the wind of these lands and allowed a calmness to flood mine soul. Perhaps mineself would find a new life here. Perhaps mineself could start over. It mattered little, though, for mine mind twas set in it's way and mineself knew that little would be capable of changing what twas ingrained in mine mind.

I can get her changed to outcast, and then we can make a new thread in the Falls for her healing and final choosing of lands? I'll also be changing her writing style then in hopes of being able to write more. If that sounds good then when it's my turn again I won't respond, I'll just start that thread in the Falls <3

Coding || Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Laedere admitted to having already seen a specialist, but the crude job they did made me question that such a healer would have the necessary abilities to actually mend damage. I’d seen magic work great wonders on broke fragments of bone, even weave together fragile folds of tissue. It was true that the power of earth had its limitations; but this in all appearance certainly seemed within reason. Africa asked if her presence would be welcome; a genuine beam broke ahead of my better reasoning and in eagerness I was already nodding long before the wounded dove spoke up, “If it suits thee, I’d like ye to linger awhile.”

Tone was quick to speak but the words were true, even if said in haste. (How long had it been since we held a private palaver?) In the cave? The memory of Santanic silk and his proclamations of endearment toward the fiery girl came forward an instant later. I stiffened and brushed them aside, welcoming the distraction of company—all the while, Fina was watching me.

She hadn’t got around to passing by the Falls yet, this seemed like a perfect excuse for Africa to travel with us. I glanced north and shifted one eye toward Fina. She peered back at me with bright blue eyes, catching my meaning without a single word or image passing between our bond. ‘Secure the air.’ She burst from the branch, giving only a moments warning by the angle of tail and spine as flaming appendages prepared to spread wide. “Tis not far,” I turned toward Laedere, lingering on her physical frame for signs of travel distress that would make our light journey more difficult, “just northeast of here.”

OCC: We can certainly continue this in the Falls.

Deceased

Withers twitched with curious excitement, a natural energy that seemed only to swell as the Gallant beamed in response and then spoke. Not for a moment did her thoughts stray to the strangely tattooed, leather-winged stallion waiting back home for her, poor form perhaps; but as always, the company of the black and white stallion before her filled the void of ever present loneliness, of uncertainty and insecurity. There seemed to be no reason to think about anything else- except of course for Laedere, who she listened to also with forward fixed ears. She did not notice the stillness of her bonded’s clever mind, he was not questioning her now; not pushing doubt upon her, wary of the feelings he knew were weak and so far, terribly shallow. He watched from above with a doting eye, pleased with her company now; and happy with his own.

When silence fell across them, shifting green and pale cream drew her sparkling eyes away, and she found herself staring innocently for a moment at the gaping, featherless hole. “Laedere?” she asked quietly, distracted momentarily as the flaming form of Fina burst from the bough shared by Silas. Her own starry companion bounced in place as the branch missed the other Zephyr’s weight with opened wings, watching, admiring, and as soon after her as could be, the Roc ascended to follow- to guard, he decided vainly, not that any in their right mind would dare cross her path he was sure. “Does it hurt? Will you be alright to travel?” Africa stepped towards the exotic mare with trembling lips pursed and reaching to try and brush tenderly the damaged wing. She meant not to pry, and certainly not to hurt, and with softly fluttering nostrils remembered the excruciating wound left when her own appendage had been torn away.

She would be forever indebted to Hellena, to Smoke and the twins.

Africa thought of the Earth Amulet she had gifted to the boy Marco perhaps half a year ago. She’d heard nothing of the colt since, and presumed him lost to the Darkness like so many others had been. It was a grim fate to presume, and she’d prayed for many months for his wellbeing- he had never returned to the Throat though. The amulet would have been a handy thing to have if Laedere thought herself too weak to cross the country. It was a futile contemplation however and she shrugged the idea vaguely with rolling grey shoulders beneath cloth. She didn’t regret the decision, she never would.