the Rift

[PRIVATE] Cry ya pardon (Leaders, ranked)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 A lone wolf stares back at me, long in the tooth but as harmless as he can be</style>

We desperately could use some allies that had proven to be both dependable and durable. I didn’t see the first requirement becoming more than daydream for Basin’s own—they hadn’t won many brownie points with a history of deception still snapping at heels. Whatever game was being played, I’d rather be left out of it and collect a reward that included keeping my head. Determined feathers eagerly ate up the distance between myself and sands I’d not touched in nearly two seasons. Two very long, drawn out seasons. A late noon sun burned brightly across my spine, his painful touch a welcome one that had been absent from flesh for many months.

The scenery had changed of course, volcanic ash and devil grass gave way to a narrowed length of land. Throat’s sand had fallen beneath salt—our wall, nay their wall, was skeletal remains at best. Wings slipped halfway toward barrel and frame was sent downward across the warm torrents that had so embraced their child, only slowing with a quick spread and thump when ground climbed to meet my approach to rapid for comfort. Sun baked granules climbed heavenward in all directions, creating a mini storm that swirled around patched limbs. It rose to greet the lost king with an unnatural affection born from power.

I stood by, breathing heavily the salty air that had been filling these lungs since the day I fell from my Ma’s womb. Daggers remained just behind the border, I didn’t dare cross into their land, into the haven of my beloved family that had been traded for a vow and forked tongues—reptiles that only seemed to grow greedier and hungrier by the passing of days. Never mind that there were those in Hidden Falls that had earned my affection, Wilibald, Hawkeye, countless others.

Dragon soldiers had likely seen me and would be arriving shortly; I gazed the length of their border with masked sadness. It was hard to not think about all the nights and days of patrolling in my youth. How many miles I traveled to and fro in these skies unmarred by greenery. A paradise for Pegasus. I thought about Cera and Ranjiri, and if they would be among those to greet my arrival—if it was to be greeted… There was a chance that these folk could and would refuse this approach, shut the door on snout and leave sore remark.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

A hot, dry wind whirled above the coastline to the east of the oasis. Africa could see far away in the distance the impression of the veins, though very dim it was, and rippling murkily behind the veil like heat of the day. It was a region she was not terribly familiar with having visited the shrine of their father only twice, but she always felt soothed by its being there as their far-away neighbour, like the shrines upon it held some kind of otherworldly presence over their home.

The ocean between lashed violently upon itself, driven to frenzy by the shifting layers of warm and cool air through the atmosphere above- she liked to think it was the hand of the God of the Sun himself, protecting the boundary of his land. Surely the coast surrounding all sides of Dragon’s Throat was impassable (those walking would never be able to brave the rough churning waters with still air in their lungs at the other side; and those flying would find offshore gusts overbearing and aggressive), she had tried in vain on a number occasions to brave such fury, only to turn back feebly and retreat to safety.

Hooves to match the soft golden hue of the beach turned at last to leave, the weight where the Starry-Eyed had been standing for some time filled instantly by new sand pushed ashore by the white frothing waves. Since morning, she had patrolled nearly the entire perimeter of the Throat and as she made her way gradually further towards the linking land between the mainland and the desert, she found her long, slender legs beginning to ache. It was not easy travelling through sodden loam and sand, but throbbing muscles meant productivity, and she told herself that such could only be a positive thing. The last rainfall of Birdsong had been quite an overbearing event through the parched island, causing a great flood to gush from its centre. The soft, variable hues of sediment thereafter lay strewn across her path- severed branches, waste and rich soil all lost in the storm now littered the area. She picked her way carefully between, pausing again only when she came across an unusual string of muddy-green seaweed washed ashore, beaded all over by small unopened pods. Intrigued, she collected the sour plant and shoved it snug within the small satchel secured beside her left elbow.

Silas watched silently, far above the blistering sand that was bordered by the hungry lash of the cove’s waters with hawk-like eyes trained to find movement. It was a ritual these days to patrol the overpass of land below and from the perspective of those ground dwellers who traversed the only earth route between the Throat and the mainland, the black zephyr should have looked only like black spec circling- a vulture perhaps, on the prowl. Their home was quite vulnerable these days, a sapling struggling to delve deeply its roots, and it gave Africa much peace of mind to know that that piece of land was under constant observation by one or another. Their bond had changed so dramatically since the Darkness. He was no longer her crutch or confidant; they had become a seamless partnership within which words needed rarely to be exchanged.

That was how she knew he had come. Through his eyes she glimpsed quietly, drinking any which he saw.

The visitor arrived on their doorstep late in the afternoon and his coming, black on ivory body lingering by the rock and sand rim, did not go unnoticed. Africa was just short of the bridge and hastened her step as her bonded’s mind hinted glimpse of him. His memory was not one so easily discarded; she did not wish to forget, and something between confusion and delight had splayed into her tender expression. “Midas?” The softly romantic hum of her voice ventured boldly ahead. Africa had thought him lost to the darkness, maybe trying to save yet another’s life, and most definitely the stunned mare had not expected him now after such a long absence.
Image Credits | Table by SilkRapture
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 A lone wolf stares back at me, long in the tooth but as harmless as he can be</style>

It’d be nice to walk through the valley again, to feel the scorching sun all the more acutely.

I hadn’t seen the mousy colored lady since that night we shared in the heart caves—since we slept near each other during one quiet evening and shared in the comfort of warmth and company. My eyes delighted in seeing the desert flower come alive across the rusty buff. She cried out my name, a sweet mixture of something that didn’t sound like fear or disappointment.

“Africa,” steps shifted over the border and I crested the bridge separating myself and a dear sister. “I’m glad to see ye,” as the distance closed I shifted dark muzzle forward, willing that hers should brush in friendly remembrance. She tasted of salt and dust, a tangy fragrance that made this ashy woman all the more endearing.

There wasn’t much time, every second I spent away from Hidden falls was another moment to breed inner treachery. (To think, I’d traded loyalty and strength for the slithering forked tongues that call me Czar.) As much as I wanted to linger and share in a palaver of time long passed, “Africa, I implore ye, I need to break words with your leaders. Can ye lead me to them?” It was natural that it never once occurred to me that Africa would be Sultana of this land; in my eyes she had the most charitable heart (rivaling even Onni), cordial enough to be unfit for the crude rule of politics.

Deceased

She closed quickly the dusty gap dividing them, glad easily when the Gallant arrived by his own accord across the borderline of his home. As the warmth of the sinewy, smaller stallion’s greeting, a tone ever modest and mild rose to meet the strain of her eagerly forward tipped ears, a great relief leaked into her bloodstream. Gingerly, naturally, her pink-snipped nose danced across the space to collide in friendly fashion with his black stained maw; she noticed right away that the scent of him bore not the familiar tendencies of desert dust. With that untameable childlike curiosity burning beneath the pale illumination of her eyes, Africa flipped away the flaming forelock from her face so she could more easily see him.

Her crown (gold like that which he spun so intricately, and wrought with the dancing dragon’s of long ago), lay caught upon the branches of old Dragon’s Blood near by the oasis, disguised by the rich growth, thriving still where others of his kind had perished. Its weight upon her brow was a heavy burden to bear, and she thought truly no more of herself than of her brothers and sisters of the sand; of her loyal family, and followers of their God. Midas could not have known the new gravity binding her without it, the toil of her mind, now that she had taken his place upon the desert’s throne.

The painted stallion seemed not to relax despite his return; she was watching always the lines beneath his rippling clean coat, and it set her nerves writhing bemusedly. His mood did not seem to celebrate a homecoming. She wanted to ask where he had been, to hand graciously back the rule of the Throat which he had fostered so beautifully- she struggled, but bravely and with much slower success. There was no time for small talk though. Already his voice was spilling vague reason for his appearance, pleading with her (she thought grimly, frowning), asking to speak with her superiors. Once upon a time she might have blushed coyly, but now she stepped closer, the flames dancing wildly through her mane lifting with the gentle arc of her neck.

“I am one of our Sultanas.” She informed him without the gush of overzealous pride. No such arrogance had found place in her gentle, demure soul. Already she had dabbled with the formalities of her role, and her respectful brevity came smoothly- like he might never have seen before. Though she doubted her ability enormously and still considered herself an unlikely candidate for the position, the Starry-Eyed exuded only calm confidence before the stallion; her brother (once pin-up), which had taken perhaps the whole of Birdsong to perfect. Still more she had matured since their last meeting, though desperately now she was floundering, beneath the subtle twitch of her skin with new brewing uncertainty.

It was her responsibility to present steadfastly, and courageously she did. .

[Ooc: Not sure if Soh wants liquid-time or not for this thread. I can tweak anything of course.]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

The burden that she had come to bear was not one that she took lightly; it weighed heavily upon her heart, and she found herself wondering, praying, hoping that an invasion would not come knocking upon their door during this, their weakest hour. The numbers that had once deemed the desert land the strongest - the most steadfast, nigh impregnable - had waned, leaving their borders largely undefended and their as yet unused army vastly outnumbered. She had failed, as Forger, to complete her Wall; and still they had not found another to take her place and continue the great work. The days of Tallsun ticked by, slowly and yet so quickly, and she could no longer count the days since she had emerged, blinking and born again, into the sunlight from the underground sanctuary. How long would the other herds take to recover from the blight of darkness? What if they had already mobilized, targeting the weakened desert?

And so she worried, for she was responsible for more these days than just herself. With a dedication bordering on reverence, she soared through the skies above her desert home, easily riding thermals that rose from the heated sands below. She watched, and she waiting, unwilling or unable to tear herself away from her newfound duties, terrified that somehow, she would prove incapable of the position that she had so recently and suddenly risen to. She had so much to prove, not only to herself, but to her herd mates. What did they think of her ascension into power? Did they think that she had usurped the throne? Were they happy for her, happy to have her, or did they think she was nothing but a joke, destined to have only a short time in the spotlight before inevitably falling into the nothingness of brief, forgotten fame? Was she useful, did she have some talent that would make her a good leader? Or would she be discarded at the next opportunity, as soon as someone more suited to leadership than she rose to the occasion?

She wanted to prove that she could be everything they needed.

She wanted to be great.

It was with these thoughts in mind that she took once more to the skies today, accompanied by a cheerful zephyr throwing good-natured sparks into the blue sky. The sun shone down from above, warming her and calming her, and by the time she saw the two pinpricks below, she had thrust her worries to a darkened corner of her mind, determined to seize the beauty of the day and simply ride the wind. As she circled lower, she recognized the lopsided shape of her fellow Sultana, greeting a stranger at their border. Except he wasn't a stranger. He wasn't a stranger at all. With a mixture of trepidation (for she couldn't help but feel that she had stolen his crown) and excitement (for it was, after all, wonderful to see him alive), she fell from the skies to greet Midas the Gallant after a rather extended absence.

She landed with the easy grace of practice and came to a halt before the pair, having trotted the last few steps. She was coated in a fine layer of sand, though she hardly noticed anymore. What she did notice was how very clean the former Sultan was: the ivory spots of his coat gleamed in the sunlight, and the ebony splotches held a dark shine. Gold-tipped wings were a perfect replica of the metal after which their color was named. "Midas," she offered warmly in greeting, extending her muzzle toward him. "You look wonderful." She could not help a momentary glance toward her sister, a puzzled gleam in her bi-colored eyes. What would this meeting mean for the pair of them? Had Midas come to reclaim his throne?

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

I hadn’t thought of that possibility, that she might be the overseer of this land. Not just as a powerful Oracle that shinned and blazed like the sun himself—but as a ruler. For one quiet moment all words left me and I simply stared into those soft eyes I’d come to love in my own little way; as a sister, as a dear friend. We stood by for those heartbeats in the steady southern wind that whipped fresh grit from the sooty land. There was a solidness about those pools, one that hadn’t lingered before now. She wasn’t joking.

“Aye, fair enough,” the faint beginnings of a smile curled one corner up, “Apologies, I didn’t know.” The world moved on, not caring if I was around or not. “Then…” Jaws flapped apart to speak…. that was until another familiar lass came soaring in with a young zephyr in tow. She drew close, “Ah,” small grin shifted into a full out beam as I returned the gesture and allowed for us to have a moment to greet each other as kin, “Sohalia.” A forger of powerful magic. “Likewise dear lady, I pray ye has been well.” It was bittersweet to look upon these familiar faces again and know that I couldn’t be around to watch them flourish in the sunlight.

My physical body was well enough, but that didn’t account for a soul that was in a tight uproar. Slowly I returned attention to Africa, visibly straightening, knowing that our reunion might become a distant and bitter memory if this turned upon heel in a horrible way. “My friends, I’ve come to ask for thee to consider an alliance with Hidden Falls.” They knew I wasn’t one to beat around the bush, or dodge topics—direct and to the point. Despite the deepness of vocals, I'm unable to hide the strain which softens my tone when lips move to add, “If ye would stand to listen, I will explain why I’ve come from Hidden Falls, yearning for thee to consider my words.” Would these two still consider themselves my kin, even though I had left them alone in the desert? Could they forgive and move past? If they were going to turn me away, now would be a perfect opportunity.

Deceased

She felt awkward standing there before him; a lamb in disguise, clothed like a bear. She knew too that he would quickly penetrate the shell of resilience and strength to find what cowered still beneath. Africa had born all level of emotion and inner conflict to Midas, and to him no doubt, she would always be transparent. She could feel the nerves beneath her blotchy taught canvas squirming, embarrassed perhaps that she (something so meek and laughable), now stood so solemnly explaining that his crown sat upon her inexperienced brow. His lip curled at one end, though his expression held no mirth. The one-winged’s heart lurched, expecting completely that he had come to resume his place amongst them, to take back what she would so readily give. It was not to be though... Something was amiss.

The distraction was welcome and the support even more. Fine dust swirled beneath the final pitch of Sohalia’s wings and she came with grace and femininity (both which Africa seemed so horribly to lack), to meet them both. Long listening ears fluttered between her company, and for a moment she felt like the moment could have been any part of yesteryear- long ago when the burdens of kingship and mortality were barely a consideration. As the pale dove spoke, the one-winged could feel her confidence shrinking; shrivelling like a corpse upon the sands. Both kin before her held quality she lacked and as they conversed briefly, so effortlessly (Africa hadn’t even asked how he was), she sat quite motionlessly in silence. Only by the quizzical side-glance of her sister was she pulled back from the tightening claws of insecurity. She thrust forward a smile and nodded vigorously.

The stallion then turned back his focus towards Africa, and she shifted guiltily in place, hiding determinedly her discomfort. That facade fell instantly though when his voice again fell between them, and her stomach sank with even the weight of a thousand desert boulders. She wanted to blurt “What?” to stagger backwards as dismayed confusion leaked freely and rampantly through her core; but Africa stiffened only slightly as her grin washed clean from her lips, and turned her crooked skull towards Sohalia. “A... alliance?” She part stammered, half whispering stupidly unable at least to keep the shock from her voice. The flames softened where they tangled through her thick mane, doused by concern and bewilderment.

Why are you representing someone else?

He continued as though the loud chorus of her thoughts had been read. The surreal strain behind each world unsettled her, and Silas descended quickly to roost and watching warily atop her fleshy round rump. “Go on brother...” she breathed nervously, anticipating a deal of sorts to perhaps grant open his shackles. Africa looked by Sohalia also, desperate to know her (much wiser) opinion.

SOHALIA

The dove's greeting was well received, and she offered a smile to match her former Sultan's. Astraeus settled on her withers, letting off a small show of sullen sparks: he was a jealous creature by nature, and unused to sharing his bonded's affections with any but a select few. Africa, with whom he had been familiar for most of his young life, had, of course, made the list, but this newcomer of black and white and gold treating his angel with such camaraderie left him in a rather bleak sort of mood. Still, it seemed that he sensed the importance of the meeting, and he did not move save to offer a hostile glare. The dove offered only a silent, Hush, my love; calm yourself. The gentle command was enough, or so it seemed, for the unruly wakiya settled himself into a small, almost fluffy-looking ball, nestled into the lower part of her mane, and waited patiently.

Only the smallest of moments passed as the silent exchange took place, and so the angel was able to respond to Midas without delay. "Quite well, thank you." But the exchange of pleasantries was short-lived. She presumed that Africa had already offered her greeting, for the one-winged mare had remained quiet. "Africa," she greeted her fellow Sultana, adding a grin and a nod, realizing that in her excitement to see the stallion, she had been terribly rude. She cursed herself behind a carefully polite facade, for it was still unknown what the outcome of this meeting would be, and she would not give her discomfort away. She was determined and stubborn, for of the three of them, she felt that she had the most to prove. She would, of course, step down if Midas requested return to the herd - there was simply no question of that - but a small part of her felt a bitter disappointment, for there was so much she had left to do, so much that she wanted to accomplish. And she was in such a wonderful position to do it - if, of course, she remained in her current rank.

She vaguely wondered when she had become so calculating - or had it always been hidden away within?

But her hidden dismay quickly gave way to confusion as the painted steed revealed his purpose, a revelation that left her with brows raised and nothing to say. Africa, too, appeared stupefied - the Starry-Eyed managed to gasp out a quick query, which was more than the ivory dove managed to come up with. The angel felt her stomach knot, for she was too newly come, too inexperienced to be thrust into decisions regarding alliances - particularly when the emissary was her former Sultan. But the choice she was faced with would not wait until she was ready, and so she took a deep breath, swallowed her disquiet, and said slowly. "I'm sure we're interested in what you have to say, of course... but, with all due respect, sir, this is quite... unexpected." She spoke slowly, carefully, as though treading on broken glass; she wished not to offend him, but to understand - for he who should have returned to reclaim his crown was soon to depart again to carry tidings of friendship or enmity to his new clan. What she could not understand was why?

"Go on, brother..." said Africa, but the angel was fumbling, stumbling through the dark, flailing through the deeps, struggling to find her way without drowning in her own ineptitude. The pair of them shared an almost wary glance, a look full of bewilderment and agitation. It did little to calm Sohalia's racing heart. How much of her opinion, of her involvement, was too much? She feared offending the stallion, feared jeopardizing any chance of an alliance before it started, feared over-stepping her bounds and alienating her fellow Sultana (whose opinion of her meant so very much) - but aside from their responsibility to their own herd, aside from her responsibility to offer an unbiased view of any offers from other lands, she could not help but wonder for this steed who had once called himself one of their own, who had done so much for their herd, who had led her and her brethren for so long. "If you would, sir - please tell us of the Hidden Falls."

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

I expected their surprise to turn into resentment or worst, anger. Africa appeared to be more rattled than Sohalia, the grey bird sultana swallowed my medicated words and was the first to sputter at how bitter it could taste, her gaze left me to glance toward our pale friend for support. Dark brows knitted together and honeyed eyes tightly fell to the sand separating us; an all too familiar sign of the discomfort and shame this brought me (returning only to abandon them again.)

Lips curled into a humorless smile, while crown nodded when Sohalia finally spoke up. She didn’t sound displeased, only befuddled and at a loss for what else to say. After what felt like to many moments of quiet and at long last the dappled woman broke her pause, softly, hesitantly, referring to me as her brother even now. Both ladies granted their permission for me to press forward, I sighed, halfway out of relief and then dread from their judgment.

Everything, I retold every detail of my meeting with Earth god. The encounter was still crystal clear in my memory, from the moment I’d heard his summons to the way that musky river room tasted upon tongue. What words were shared and my decision to make a vow in his honor. (I left out my doubts and fears.) I spoke of Asylum and Foothills, how the land had been turned unrecognizable; a mountain scape with pristine waterfalls. Unlike the desert in every form.

“Judge my actions if ye feels it is necessary, but hold Hidden Falls in your mind within a favorable light. They are innocent of wrong and would prove a boon to thee.” The dragons might call me a traitor for simply leaving them high and dry—they could seek my blood and I’d willingly go to trial for it; but I’d not stand by while Hidden Falls was shunned because of my choices.
“Basin came to our doorstep, cawing for mutual aid.” Up to this point my tone has been humble, but just speaking their clan title brings a familiar fire into my eyes, it sparks, then smolders in its hearth beneath the weight of my mask, “Ye knows as well as I do that a pile of shit would burn more readily than their words in a fight,” the word shit falls from my tongue in a tart hiss, “I’ve turned them aside and would advise ye to do the same.”

OOC: I sorta cheated because his encounter would have been rather lengthy ^^; anyways, you can go back and read the god/midas talk if you want. I don't mind posting a link here when I get a few min's today. He basically rehashed everything that happened during their talk and then what happened afterward when they finally got to enter Hidden Falls.

Deceased

Africa admired the lovely white mare’s eloquence. It was a quality she had never quite mastered; not truly had to begin with. Despite the uncertainty lacing the situation unfolding, there seemed to be a warm delicateness to her tone, and the artless one-winged found herself wondering. Sohalia had always been an intelligently-minded character she’d admired from a nervously inferior sort of perspective. She was quietly glamorous, not bleakly-hued at all or drab; and rumour of her relationship with no other than the mighty Gaucho had been swapped through the ranks of the herd many times (be they true or false). Africa had never been in love, and often found herself fancying those well beyond her miniscule grasp. Nevertheless, her life had reached a turning point, far more significantly than she could ever have expected. She was overwhelmed, frightened, dancing in a world of brilliance that she could never belong in.

...There she was, standing amid real royalty- in every respect, discussing international relations like she had a clue.

She smiled decorously and nodded as Sohalia’s request passed her ears.

For a second Africa relaxed, rocking left her weight to ease off her right-rear hoof; quickly though and silently scolding herself, she stiffened back to an appropriately upright posture. The manner of Midas’ tone and the formality of his tongue unsettled her. She fought anxiously to quell the memory of that night in the caverns when all manner of emotional pain and suffering had been exposed; by both of them. She saw deeper than the rippling sheen of his black and white hide, knew the bitter hurt which had eroded his mind, and she wondered unassumingly, caringly as he smiled so sombrely, whether he’d lost his mind- like dare she say it... Windwalker. That underhanded animal had indeed turned crazy against her innocent, uneasy denial. She worried for this stallion, a friend, her brother; and was unable to disguise such powerful sentiment from her pale, transparent expression.

The picture was becoming clearer though...

Uncomfortable with the turn of events explained by their former leader, Africa shifted. She could only accept his reasoning though, knowing well that she also would never deny the call of her own generous, insightful God. The Asylum had previously been on good terms with Dragon’s Throat, and it eased her concern for his wellbeing a little. Though she had not before encountered any who were Midas’ ‘new family’ (she swallowed what felt like a boulder snagged in her throat), they had done no disservice that she could think of, before the Darkness.

Very slowly she nodded, processing all which had been clarified, quite overwhelmed- especially that surrounding the Basin. Africa didn’t doubt for one second that he’d turned those monsters from his gate- conviction replaced his humility, similar (she thought), to the same burning hatred she had seen when she revealed the taker of her wing. Behind, long black and red tresses snapped across her charcoal hocks and the flames adorning whirled to life. She thought not unkindly of him, could not, and smiled a little; warmth eroding the sorrow which had begun to spoil the mildness of her features.

For some time she did not speak; eyes gazed vacantly ahead as she considered.

SOHALIA

She listened in a thoughtful silence as Midas explained his absence and his given duties and his new family, wondering all the while if he wasn't bitter about the God's use of him. He had given his life, his efforts, his time to the Dragon's Throat, only to have to start over again in the Hidden Falls. The dove had only visited the Windtossed Foothills a handful of times, but she remembered the rolling hills giving way to snow-capped peaks. It was hard to reconcile that image with the picture that their former Sultan now painted, a landscape of waterfalls and craggy rocks, of a hidden gem protected by nature. It made her feel particularly exposed in their desert oasis.

Mention of the Basin made her lips twist in a rather unpleasant way, for she remembered her horror after their invasion. She had not fought then, having been away with her daughter Skysong - but she could still taste the fear as she searched for Note, or for any familiar face, hoping that none of them would be among the dead. She still harbored the guilt of not being there to help. If her guess was correct, neither she nor Africa had any intention of allying the Dragon's Throat with the Aurora Basin - especially when the Starry-Eyed had all the more reason to hate the northern unicorns.

The one thing that the trio shared was strong, heartfelt belief and dedication to their chosen gods. Africa, she knew, held the Sun in high regard; Midas, the Earth. As for the angel, she had once sought a magic that the Sun God granted her, and He had chosen her for His Forger, an honor beyond words. Her second magic fell within the realm of the God of the Earth, but she had stumbled upon it almost by accident. Reverent thought she was of all the gods, it was still the Sun who held her soul - and if He called to her, she knew that she would answer, just as Midas had to the Earth. "You have been through a great deal, Midas. I believe I speak for the both of us when I say that we do not begrudge you the decision to follow the Earth God's command." She offered a smile, hoping to alleviate some of the tension of the encounter.

The alliance offer hung in the air between them, unsure and unyielding in its presence. She was loathe to speak out, feeling the need to discuss the matter more privately with Africa before giving her opinion. What were they supposed to do? Excuse themselves to whisper and debate, leaving Midas standing awkwardly in the background? It didn't seem right - and it certainly didn't seem like the proper way to treat their former Sult- the Hidden Falls Czar. The mental correction was foreign and strange, though she knew that she would need to get used to it. "Why don't you come to the oasis?" she suggested suddenly, almost desperately. "You should rest in the shade before you try and travel back to the Hidden Falls, and Africa and I can take a moment to discuss what you've told us."

Please, gods, lend me grace.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

[OOC | So sorry for the wait

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

I didn’t know what they would say, my smile was weary and strained from the urgency and anticipation I felt during those awkward moments of silence. Africa was painful quiet, considering my words without revealing her thoughts. It is Sohalia that is the first to respond, her quiet and almost paternal words came to my ears in a favorable light. She didn’t show anger or even bitterness for my decision, instead the alabaster woman spoke of forgiveness. I dipped my skull forward out of humble respect and gratitude, “Ye speaks true, and I say thank ye.” Their understanding was more than I could have asked for—more than even hoped for.

Truly a genuine heart, the dragon sister offered me sanctuary for a small time in the oasis. I smiled, a glad note washing the previous strain from deepened crevices and making my appearance once again the kind leader they had once served, “Aye, I’d like to see the tropics again and taste the salt upon my tongue…it has been too long.” Gaze shifted past them, fondly turning toward the distant mounds of grainy earth.

An offer of alliance wasn’t something to be taken lightly. It was with wisdom that they chose to palaver. I nodded in further agreement and stood by, waiting for them to make the first move and lead me into a home that I knew better than either woman who stood by. These had been the sands of my youth, I was born, wriggling and wet upon the grains of red and gold.

Deceased

She listened quietly when the Sultana began to speak and take up the conversation when her own tongue drew blank. Her young, overloaded mind flailed helplessly and she felt the sudden weight of Midas’s revelation press upon her inexperienced shoulders. Thoughtfulness began to intertwine through her pale, compassionate expression though, filling out the troubled hollows lining her face, and the Starry-Eyed found herself nodding along in sync to her better composed (perhaps more considerate also) white sister’s words; her understanding. It was true, there was not a trace of resentment tarnishing Africa’s thoughts or posture either, and she was glad the dove had assured their former leader of that. The dappled mare’s rusty-red lips had curled into a smile by the time Sohalia had finished and she added with a subtle coyness, “your name is fond to us, it always will be.” There was little else she could say.

She figured quickly and easily that an alliance would benefit their small, intimate family. The one-winged mare remembered well the invasions in times past (felt the burden of the Basin’s foul existence), and was swamped suddenly by a giddying desperation to sign their loyalty over. Midas was a brother, a friend; he was their family, she still firmly and perhaps foolishly believed. Wasn’t it only natural that such friendship should be nurtured still? The Asylum’s existence in all of this seemed barely a flicker of thought to begin with, but such a rash decision was not hers alone to make. Africa turned her elegantly chiselled skull towards her sister promptly, thankful, when the other Pegasus mare suggested they resign to the shade and comfort of the oasis for a small while. It was a superb idea, and she wished even that she had been so creative, mindful.

“Not much of it has changed.” Africa half joked after Midas had next spoken, quickly taking advantage of the almost lighter mood between the three of them. Although the sand and rolling dunes skirting the Throat had shrunk significantly; and the wall Sohalia had spent so much time crafting had been basically devoured by the hungry jaws of their ocean neighbour, the small slice of paradise in which the herd was allowed to thrive flowered now as normal, beneath the blistering hand of their patron God. She turned afterwards, feeling a little silly, silently cursing her lack of prudence; and began to walk by the side of her sister in the direction of the oasis.

It wasn’t a long trek by any means, but the afternoon was scorching and the sand beneath seemed to radiate the heat of the sun terribly. Quickly, a heavy sweat began to lather across Africa’s flanks and dampen the rest of her blotchy grey body. Perhaps (she thought belatedly), flying the distance might have been kinder. Nevertheless, forward thinking was a work in progress still, and as her lagging hooves drew alongside the first feeble sprouts of spinifex, her face wandered back to find the golden-eyed stallion; their friend. “We won’t be long.” She assured him with a warm smile, and slipped sideways with scuffing steps so that he might pass between she and Sohalia into his ho... the shade.

The two Sultana’s spoke briefly but conscientiously, and Africa was enthused that it seemed again, they thought similarly about the prospect of allying with the Hidden Falls clan; with Midas.... Valid concerns were raised about their lack of knowledge about the Asylum, and though the Starry-Eyed could offer no consolation regarding them (she couldn’t think of any occasion actually when she’d encountered their members- that was a good thing, right?), it was determined collectively that Dragon’s Throat would accept the Czar’s proposal. They discussed afterwards another couple of thoughts, and then the one-winged grey swivelled around to venture after their guest. He was easy enough to track, his clean scent was familiar, invigorating, and one which she had yearned for, for many months.

[ooc: Hope this works for you Soh <3 Will edit out the power playing if required]

SOHALIA

They departed quickly toward the oasis, following the compass of habit. As they walked, the angel took time to organize her thoughts; and so when Midas separated from the pair, she was able to easily articulate her thoughts. Driven by years of trusting the painted steed, her instinct screamed to make the alliance - but though she trusted him, she was less sure about the members of the Asylum. How useful would they be, and how trustworthy? Did they feel family ties and respect alliances, or would mental illnesses interfere? In the end, they agreed that they should trust Midas's judgment on the matter, particularly as they had not met many of the Asylum themselves and could not form an uneducated opinion. With a light step and a lighter heart, they sought the Czar out to tell him their good news.

The dove was pleased by the turn of events, having worried quite frequently in recent days over the safety of her herd and family. Though she had faith in their warriors, she was not reassured by how small they numbered; the promise of assistance in a time of crisis left her feeling greatly relieved. She wondered if the stallion would judge them harshly for how few there were left, but she dismissed the thought. It was not in Midas's nature to look down his nose at his neighbors, particularly when they had once been his own kin. She worried, though, for even with the assurance provided by their new alliance, they were lacking in several key roles. They still had no Gladiator, and without proper military expertise, they were no closer to finding one. Even if they had a Gladiator, it would do them no good unless they were to continue their recruitment...

Upon finding the painted stallion, she dismissed such concerns and allowed a smile to light her maw. Armed with a newfound understanding of his disappearance and the relief that he was, in fact, alive and well, she found herself quite pleased to see him and ally their herds alongside one another. The foliage surrounding the oasis provided enough shade to create a noticeable difference in temperature, and something about being near the water made the warm summer day almost bearable. Of course, the heat hardly bothered her anymore - she had simply been in it for too long to notice - but she did hope that Midas had not grown too unaccustomed as to be uncomfortable.

"We are sorry to have kept you waiting, my friend," she said in way of greeting. With that out of the way, she went on to confirm, "We would be pleased to accept your offer. We are so happy that you came to us!" She grinned then, much more at ease than she had been previously. "We do have a few questions for you, but you and yours may rest assured that our herds shall be great friends."

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Seeing the oasis again was like waking from a nightmare and finding myself once again upon the sands of my fathers. I closed my eyes and simply basked in the warm offering of sunlight while we walked; lids would slither open, my gaze trailing to follow paths that drifted in all directions. South, East, and West. The ocean, its sweet, sunbaked musk was heavy upon my senses. Africa was right to say that nothing had really changed. Aside from the entrance into Dragon’s Throat, and our (their) fractured wall—these valleys still felt like home. How long had it been since I’d seen their crystal blue waters and sparkling white sands for myself? Weeks, months, half a year? Long enough for me to yearn for them. Africa turned to me with a smile and assured me that their palaver wouldn’t take long, I nodded with an understanding beam tugging at both corners; it was a challenge to restrain myself from muttering, ‘take as long as ye will, just leave me by and by.’

I drifted toward the overhanging tropics, coming to rest beneath a large cluster of palms. Alabaster locks swished against the hot hide of patchwork and it was here that I peacefully waited; watching the fauna come alive after dragon kin had retreated to a secluded location.

The sun hadn’t traveled far by the time I saw them return, my gaze slowly drifted to the lovely pair that the Sun had seen raised to power. I remained motionless and allowed my brethren the aim to approach at their leisure. Sohalia grinned, my muscles that had suddenly turned rigid without previous knowledge swiftly uncurled back into their relaxed positions. Had I really been fearful that they might say nay?

Her apology was unnecessary, but the words to follow were a welcoming breath of air for these lungs. As much as their forgiveness had relieved my burden, it was a greater boon that they would trust me enough to form an intimate relationship between the…my family. Relief and gratitude could be measured in the response I gave, “Yar, it gladdens my heart to hear such news. Ask what questions ye will, I shall try my best to answer them.”

Deceased

The oasis was quieter, more so than he might have remembered and Africa was awkwardly aware of the fact. There was a natural ambience still present; the busy natter of birdlife, the rich (droning) summer chorus of cicadas, but the tracks once worn by the passage of many hooves had settled to crack beneath the heat of the high-noon sun. There was no flicker of movement as bodies rushed between duties, nor was there murmur of conversation whenever the insects paused to rest. Their family was small now, unnervingly so, and it took all of the dappled mare’s unstable strength to quell and bury her shame. Beneath him, Dragon’s Throat had been a sea of life, frothing with energetic animation.

The Starry-Eyed sighed and hunched beneath her brittle cloak of composure.

The cosy shade given by the sprawled arms of the oasis’s fresh, breeze-brushed canopy, danced across her dappled hide as she wandered beneath by the pale feathered wing of Sohalia. She wanted to touch the dove so respected, to leech the strength and serenity which seemed to gloss away their shared reservations. Her coat trembled occasionally, bothered by clouding flies, unable to shed the anxiety of a heart beneath. Midas waited ahead and they approached; Africa smiled, finding comfort easily in the magnificence of all that he embodied; courage, compassion and intelligence... quickly she fell into the trap set down by his appeal; that which she had admired for many years.

She felt better.

Her sister spoke first and the one-winged mare halted, still as near to the white body as she could manage without being a nuisance. Quickly Sohalia revealed their happy acceptance of the alliance between his family and the Throat, and dusty-red lips peeled away from marbled teeth in a hearty grin. Without reserve she added, “We missed you terribly you know. It’s wonderful to find you well.” The velvet bridge between her quietly fluttering nostrils pinched a little as she fought hard the temptation to reach out, but she could not resist, and warm breath danced forward in a show of affection too immense to withhold. She’d missed him terribly; he was like a father; her inspiration and her muse, a brother and a friend. Midas was someone she cared deeply for- and the troubles he had confided in her were never far from her thoughts.

They were family and the formality of before felt as cold and callous as a knife’s blade. Africa was a creature of impulse; she was sensitive, and often improperly emotional.

She recoiled before the Gallant responded, adrenaline flooding rapidly throughout her core, warming and energizing. There was much to cover still- the ineptness of the two inexperienced mares and the task they faced of placing someone to lead and encourage the Throat’s meagre army. “We are yet to find a Gladiator to lead our soldiers.” She revealed with some timidity flanking her tone. She imagined their brother might laugh at this and chuckled softly to herself; she and Sohalia were as gentle-natured as a babbling brook, that much was obvious. “It’s our plan to host a competition to find the fittest candidate- though neither Soh nor I are qualified to do that. Would you have time spare to help us judge?”

Africa knew now, more than ever she had before, how leading a herd sapped all free time, and rolled her suddenly dry tongue with guilty hope across the back of her teeth.

SOHALIA

The angel wondered if their former Sultan ever missed their desert home with its open skies and golden sands. Did he miss the way the dunes flowed, piling against each other, lined with waves? Did he long to fly overhead, held aloft by the rising, heated air, watching the vibrant emerald of the oasis down below? Did he wish for the distant crash of the ocean waves, the briny smell of the sea when the winds blew just so? Did he yearn for the unique, intricate floral arrangements that hid within the foliage of their watering hole?

Could anyone love the Dragon's Throat as much as she? She was certain that it could be so - that Africa, at least, shared her adoration of their home and its hidden beauty. Outsiders called it hot, and barren, and dry - but her petite features and ivory plumage was built for it, and she could hardly imagine life in a different land. How could they stand it, all pent up among the trees? She supposed the Hidden Falls had their own secrets, their own loveliness that made them worthwhile, but how had Midas given up this for that?

But she knew the answer already, and she knew that she would have done the same in his place.

So of course he missed their home. Perhaps that knowledge made it easier for her to allow him access to their oasis unaccompanied, for had it been anyone else, she would not have dared allow it. She was not particularly militaristic, but even she knew better than to allow an outsider to roam as they will. She knew of the dangers of spies, even if she could never be one herself. But Midas - Midas would not betray them, would not use them - for the Gods' sakes, he was one of them, despite his new title and his new home. He would always be one of them, would always be allowed into their hearts, would always have their trust. She prayed it would be so.

He accepted their news, when they gave it, with pleasure and kindness, as she knew he would, and she left it to Africa to explain their position to the Czar. There was nothing to add, really; and she found it so pleasant to simply bask in the company of those she had once held dear. She could not claim to have been particularly close to Midas - but she had known him and respected him, and she had never imagined life without him. Quite honestly, she was glad that she no longer had to.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Herds received and sometimes they lost. My reign had fallen on a blessed time, a painfully short era where there had been plenty of souls to swell our ranks; if this current duo of sultanas had asked my thoughts on small, intimate families…I would have smiled in my understanding way and replied, ‘Ye wasn’t here when the sands carried only the ghost whispers of hope.’ Our kin had always been tough and hardy, they had to be—living in a desert was a test of our will to survive and thrive. Despite small numbers the dragon folk had also never lost a fight, perhaps it was because of their stubborn nature, or vows of loyalty.

Africa reached for me, there was a softness in her eyes and voice that I didn’t realize was missed in the past few months. Her hot breath finds my face and I turn toward it willingly enough. Gaze growing tender as we linger on each other, “Aye,” I whispered in return, “Ye is never far from my thoughts.” The faint smile I already wore stretched a little higher, gently a whiff of air blew toward her outstretched muzzle. Ever the young at heart, my dear sister had been forced to grow in the cruelest of ways; I could only pray that she found some measure of happiness. That both of them found joy.

A thing that could never be found near me.

Their idea of holding a trial to choose a new Gladiator seemed like a proper one. I nodded, plainly and eagerly, “Yar, I would be honored.” The ways of battle ran hot within this body, much like the swelling magic I’d yet learnt to harness or discover, “When shall we meet for this?” Their trust in me now, was a lesson to this weary heart.

Deceased

Thoughtful eyes hesitated, glancing quickly towards Sohalia who had stayed quiet through the explanation. When? The one-winged mare hadn’t thought that far ahead, and drew an unexpected blank when the Gallant asked about the timing of the meeting to come. “Well....” she began, watching perhaps a little too closely the lips of her snowy-hued (sand dusted) sister for the answer struggling to form across her own flailing tongue. Africa knew the urgency. She was all too aware of soldiers growing unfit without duty- those who lacked motivation, many who were new to the ranks and unskilled, and others who were floundering without direction. They needed to establish the army quickly.

You will need to tell them first... She looked away from Sohalia, glanced upwards suddenly, and found her bonded wheeling high above them. She began to speak even before her pale eyes had fallen back to Midas. “Sohalia and I will call together our herd this evening.” Her long skull bounced along to the statement, enthusiastic, eager to draw out the stay of the stallion, if he could spare the time. Africa did look swiftly to her sister hopefully, praying that she’d not placed too much pressure across their shoulders to start the ball rolling- there was so much more to discuss with their friends and family though as well as this, and time was not patiently sitting there idle in waiting.

“How soon do you think we can rally the troops afterwards?” She wondered aloud, imagining that having so little to do, those filling the higher ranks of the army should be ready to step forward with only a moment’s notice. She shuffled in place, grin pulling her lips wide. There was light at the end of the tunnel now- direction, progression! Silas floated down quietly in the moments to follow, coming to rest discreetly upon the dappled mare’s rump.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Africa paused before answering my question, considering for more than a heartbeat; her curious gaze turned to stare at Sohalia for enlightenment or otherwise help finding feedback. Yet the pale woman remained quiet; confident that my dappled sister would find her tongue and our return shortly. I followed Africa’s gaze instinctively when they shifted away and toward the sky; honeyed pool also caught sight of Silas, his dark frame gliding above us. Those eyes watching with firm loyalty over the Sultana -- as Fina often did from her heavenly position. He was absent worry or care for the politics of those who remained partly bound to this earth. That freedom; I envied it.

She spoke a moment later and I lowered attention, regarding my kinsman with a polite and patient silence. The reply was to pull together a clan meeting with a certain degree of planned haste – those soft eyes shifted again to our alabaster company…seeking approval? Seeking assurance? I nodded, agreeing thus far with everything that had been said; knowing that my time here was short. Her question hangs in the air, an answer comes in the form of a suggestion, “My wisdom would be to give them time to prepare. A fortnight should be ample.”

This soul longed to stay in the dunes of sand and shaded tropics, there are many a kin that I desired to visit with – their absence felt with each passing day. “Shall I accompany thee to this meeting? Take a look at yon warriors who claim to desire a rise in position?”