the Rift

[PRIVATE] Affection

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

The herd meeting dragged on far longer than necessary. Obediently, I remained to hear the myriad opinions of my herd mates. How many knew Aurelia directly? I would never have guessed the sheer numbers the World’s Edge housed, and compressed between the heat of so many bodies, I quickly grew uncomfortable and wished to leave. Thus, when the press began to dissipate, I spared a momentary glance each for Faeanne and Evangeline, and turned to leave, as well. No doubt another conversation awaited me, though at least I counted myself master of my own fate, in that regard. I had an explanation for the filly, that burden thrust upon me so suddenly and unexpectedly. The sooner Evangeline learned of that particular event, the better. My thoughts curled in disgust the moment I entertained any notion of the filly being my own... biologically, of course. It was no resentment toward Faeanne, but toward her mother, that drove me to speak.

“Evangeline, could you spare a moment?” One ear cocked back toward the weight of the dragon on my back – a pleasant warmth, and one I hoped to keep as we paced through the trees in search of our own meeting place. “I’ve a story to tell you. I think you’ll find it... amusing, at least.” I glanced at Faeanne, then. “I don’t know where your brother is, but come along. You should get to know Evangeline, at least. And Tallis.” I nodded at them both as I spoke. Only when I had left behind the crowd of bodies and the uncertainty of that haphazard meeting place did I slow, and with a long breath, turn to look at both of them.

“Evangeline, this is Faeanne.” I nodded at the filly, uncertain of just how I should act in her presence. Should I touch her? Or give some reassurance? She certainly possessed a sense of self beyond that of most her age, quite probably brought about by her mother’s carelessness. Perhaps what she needed was comfort, then. I reached out tentatively to brush my muzzle over the filly’s ears, if she would allow it. Then retracting my head, I gazed at the chestnut mare. “Faeanne, this is Evangeline. She is a friend of mine.” Good. Introductions finished. And where to start...? My tail whisked earnestly at my hocks. Where, indeed.

“I suppose you know,” I said with a sigh, “the filly belongs to Aurelia. Hmph. Belonged. She was left in my care under no uncertain terms some time ago. Aurelia abandoned her in the Threshold, and I think it best she not be returned to the care of her... mother. But I...” I glanced away, struggling to repress memories better left unexamined – of the last child put into my care, and the bloody flight that hat, ultimately, finished in my entrance to Helovia. I would do better with this one. I... must do better. “Though it may be surprising to hear, I am both out of practice with children and exceptionally poor in dealing with them, in the first place. So.” I cleared my throat. “I hoped, perhaps.... you would help me in looking after her.” I found any attempt at meeting Evangeline’s green eyes too difficult to sustain, and so I gazed again at the filly with the delicate, star-spattered wings. She deserved better than she had gotten. It was a story too often repeated, in the world.

One I did not wish to see repeated again.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

@[Faeanne] & @[Evangeline]
[ Finally! :D I hope you are both all right with this; if anything seems amiss in my assuming they would be near him at the end of the meeting, just let me know and I'll change it <3 ]

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen
JUST GOT BROKEN INTO TWO.

I could tell that Papa Ruske wasn't overly happy to be around the rest of the herd as waves of discomfort washed out of his pores like sweat and crashed into my infantile body without mercy. But even with his discomfort, I was excited to get to meet all of the other creatures that resided in the place that I called home for the time being. Of course, it had been strange to hear strangers talking about my mother as if they actually knew her...if they all knew that she had abandoned her child would they still believe she deserved a fair trail?
So many thoughts flickered through my mind as the herd meeting dragged on, a little yawn attempted to tear from between my gold dusted kissers before the others began to disperse and Papa Ruske called out for one named Evangeline. It was a pretty name, much prettier than my own or my mothers, and my white pupiled eyes settled upon the golden frame of the mare as she drew closer to me and Papa. But they quickly danced away from the pretty mare and instead settled upon the dragon that had been clinging to Papa's back, it was an interesting creature.
I wasn't really paying much attention as the trio of us moved away from the clearing where the meeting about my mother had been held. At least not until I saw Papa's skull turn so he was looking at, and addressing me rather than the golden chestnut mare. “I don’t know where your brother is, but come along. You should get to know Evangeline, at least. And Tallis.” My brother, I had loved him dearly, he had been a good playmate while our mother still wanted the both of us. But it was clear he had been favored over myself, so that caused quite a rift between us and honestly I hadn't seen him since she abandoned me with the stallion who was now taking care of me. A light smile spread across my features as I looked between the dragon, the gold mare, and my savior.
When we stopped moving forward the stallion spoke once more, this time telling the mare my name before brushing his velvets against my darkened harks. I moved into his touch momentarily, glad for the shown affection that was so unnatural in my life. “Faeanne, this is Evangeline. She is a friend of mine.” My gold dusted white brush flashed against my slender hips as a wide smile grew across my features. "It's nice to meet you Ms. Evangeline." My skull bobbed ever so slightly in a nod before my odd eyes turned to the dragon and my vocal chords began to twitch once more. "You as well Tallis." I wouldn't be surprised if the scaled animal spoke back, but for some reason I didn't think that would happen at least not today.
Papa continued, telling the story of how I came to be in his company. It was one that I had heard before, heck, I had lived that story so far and I wasn't quite in the mood to listen to it again. So I wasn't going to, taking a few steps away from the adults my gold dusted skull dropped to the ground so my kissers could lip at the grasses that grew abundantly. If it wasn't story time I may as well eat now so I can nap later.

"Speech"
Tag;; @[Evangeline]
Words;; 573
Notes;; eeeee <3

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Evangeline
you always want what you're running from

With the herd meeting drawing to a close, Evangeline was ready to take her leave and disappear into the misty forest to chew on everything she had seen and everything she had heard. Seeing Ruske with a foal had shook her in a way that she had never experienced before. The foal had claimed that Aurelia was her mother and that she had abandoned her, but how did Ruske come about having her in his care? Had he secretly sired the foal? What did it even matter if he did? He was a free stallion and could do what he pleased. And if he did sire the foal at least he was doing his duty of taking care of her when she needed it most.

"Evangeline, could you spare a moment?"

"Yes." She said absently, her head turning in Ruske's direction. 'Focus!' Tallis snapped, causing the orange mare to blink and retreat from her train of thoughts. He claimed to have a story to tell her and that she might find it amusing. "Really?" She asked dryly. What could be funny about a mother abandoning her child? Evangeline was not the best mother, she had allowed her children to venture away from her side, but she had known where they were and that they were safe because Tallis had been with them. It was when they had become yearlings that she'd lost touch because they had wanted to be off on their own. They had been in such a rush to grow up they had missed out on their own childhood.

"There's two of them?" The orange mare asked, unable to hide the surprise in her voice when Ruske mentioned a brother. It made the mare concerned for him and his well-being. There was no telling how long he had been missing from his mother's side or if she had even cared that he was gone. She probably hadn't. "Hello, Faeanne." As Ruske continued to speak left his perch on the stallion's back and moved to his bonded so he could watch Ruske and Faeanne more easily.

“Though it may be surprising to hear, I am both out of practice with children and exceptionally poor in dealing with them, in the first place. So.”

Evangeline lifted her emerald gaze to her friend then laughed softly. "Not as surprising as you may think, dear." She was in no way trying to mock Ruske, but she'd always had a feeling that he wasn't good with children. If he was then he would be a babysitter instead of a nurse. Finally he got to the point of his story and asked for help raising the young child. What choice did she really have, though? The child needed a mother and her own mother was rotten to the core. No good woman would abandon their child. "She needs a mother." Eva voiced her thoughts. "I will help you raise her so long as Aurelia has no contact with her." There was no point in putting the child through more grief of her mother reappearing.

"."

and you know this is more than you can take
full image/stock credits

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
 Ruske</style>
     A coward is incapable of exhibiting love;
         it is the prerogative of the brave.</style>

It all went... more easily than I expected. Better to overestimate the difficulty of a task than underestimate, however. Faeanne appeared almost fond of me, though I could not be certain why. A wry grin touched my features as I drew away from her. She would grow up greater than her mother, certainly. Greater than whatever absent fool had sired her, as well. As she wandered off to graze, I continued to watch her. Did the story of our meeting make her anxious? Did she... miss Aurelia? I thought not, and anyway, I had an obligation to Evangeline to tell the story however truthfully I could. Once it was over, none of us needed ever to speak of it again. I certainly would never care to. The entire event left a lingering sour taste in my mouth.

Banishing concern for the child momentarily from my mind, I returned my attention to Evangeline. “She had a brother, I am led to believe.” I shook my head. “As I said, however, I don’t know that one’s whereabouts, and honestly...” I glanced at Faeanne once more, hoping the sentiment would not upset her, “I’ve no use for two children. I am a healer, not a nursemaid.” I fell silent then, watching as Evangeline greeted the girl. A strange sensation prickled in my chest as they interacted. It felt surprisingly tight, tense... Perhaps my lungs had chosen an inopportune moment to complain again. All seemed to be well between the two; I could not guess at any secrets thoughts either mare harbored, but at least they greeted each other without enmity. I nodded approval. Wherever Faeanne had learned manners from, it seemed she had learned them well. It was with some difficulty I ignored her for a moment to ask Evangeline the more important question. In truth, I found the child an easy outlet for my wandering attention – I might pretend to be concerned for her, if in fact I was merely too much a coward to look anyone else in the eye. A dangerous thing to have around.

My head jerked with surprise when laughter met the inquiry first. In bemusement, I blinked at Evangeline – was I so obviously inept? I could do little more than grin, embarrassed, when she finally began to speak. “Not as surprising as you may think, dear.” When had I become dear? Why did I feel suddenly feverish? I turned away, uttering a short bark of a cough. Perhaps I was ill; perhaps I should run away and spare them both the possibility of coming down with it, whatever it may be... I fidgeted, tail twitching between my hind legs. “Well.” Dignified I had never been, but I always prided myself on, well... pride. I had long worked in the areas in which I had so carefully cultivated my own knowledge, and yet willingly I threw myself into this foolish pursuit, as if I might bear it with any grace.

“She needs a mother.” Evangeline spoke again and I seized the opportunity with some gratitude, content to still my chagrin if only by distracting myself with further abuse of the absent Aurelia. “Yes. A proper one.” I cast a sidelong glance at the chestnut mare beside me. Of course, I had never before hesitated to ask of her what I required; she had proven an able student, and an able queen, and I had always stood beside her faithfully. All the same, this particular request bred within me an uneasiness I wished to leave behind. It was beyond my long experience; I did not attend to children unless they were ill. I certainly did not have anything to do with mothers, or... I snorted. “That is why I asked you. Of course, I will do my utmost to keep that creature away from her. She requires care, and I thought... you might be the best to provide it. Having raised children yourself, and being the wise individual I know you to be.” There was a bite of wry humor in the statement, and I smirked at her, hoping perhaps to lighten to mood. “Thank you,” I added after a moment, with a sigh.

On weary legs then I stepped toward Faeanne again, my whiskered nose reaching out to brush her shoulder. “What do you think of that?” I asked, unable to make my voice sound quite as gentle as I wished. “Would you like Evangeline to be your mother?” Of course, she had no choice, but I thought it seemed kind to ask her opinion, nonetheless. She had gone so long with her own needs ignored, I felt I should do as much as I could to attend to them. How else would she grow up to be sure of herself? “We’ll take care of you, so you need never feel lonely,” I declared, a little more confidently. That did sound like a generous thing to say. Lifting up my head again, I peered down at her, awaiting some sort of response.

image by BlueRidgeKitties @ flickr.com</style>

@[Faeanne] @[Evangeline]
[ idk why this turned out so long... >.> ]

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen
JUST GOT BROKEN INTO TWO.

The golden mare's voice weaved elegantly through the air around me as she returned my greeting, a smile plastered itself against my metallic lips so big it reached my ivory pupiled eyes. So far the oddly marked mare seemed to be kind, but I had thought Aurelia to be kind at one point, one very small point. But regardless, only time would tell if this Evangeline mare would be trust able or if I should just keep my walls up and not let her near me. Darkened harks swiveled on my gold splashed crown as my infantile frame turned away from the adult talk.
I wasn't sure if I was uncomfortable with being the center of attention, or if I just didn't want to relive my abandonment anymore than I had too. If I never saw the gold dusted mare again, it would be too soon. But, if I had to see her again, I hoped it would be when I was bigger and stronger so I could show her just how badly she hurt me and how well I turned out without her guidance. I swallowed the lump that had begun to form in my throat as the adults talked about my mother, while my gold dusted limbs crumpled beneath me so I could settle in for a nap while their conversation continued onwards. Being a part of that meeting had taken a lot out of me considering it took much longer than I had expected, let alone all of the commotion about what everyone thought should happen to the mare who I had fallen from.
My sleep was peaceful knowing that Papa Ruske was near, his presence keeping me safe and well taken care of, more so than any other experience I had with adults in my life. Dreams of the wind rushing through my long silvery mane as I flew through the starry night sky filled my child-like mind while I slept and the adults conversed. But my rest didn't last long as I was soon nudged awake by the bay stallion who had recently became my guardian. “What do you think of that? Would you like Evangeline to be your mother?” His words drifted through my dream-like daze as they quickly brought me back to reality. A new mother? That was a concept that I hadn't even thought of. Aurelia was technically still my mother even though she didn't care about me any more than she cared about her own well-being. And I wasn't sure if I could quite trust the golden mare just yet, but Papa Ruske seemed to like her quite a bit.
And I would do anything to make him happy.
A light, sleepy smile spread across my kissers as I nodded sleepily. “We’ll take care of you, so you need never feel lonely,” my grin widened ever so slightly as I scrambled onto my lanky limbs so I could reach Papa and momma Eva easier. My gold dusted muzzle reached out ever so slightly in the direction of the mare who was to play the role of my new mommy, hopefully she would turn out better than the original copy. "Momma Eva." My light childish voice rang out with confidence that I had only gained since being under the watchful gaze of Papa Ruske.

"Speech"
Tag;; @[Evangeline]
Words;; 552
Notes;; eeeee <3

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker