the Rift

[OPEN] One of these things is not like the other...

Aithniel the Inquisitor Posts: 169
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.0hh :: 4 Years HP: 75 | Buff: NOVICE
Zerachiel :: Royal Griffin :: Molten Dagger tamme

Aithniel
The first flame burned gloriously, but the second flame burns cold.

One of these things just doesn't belong. Illynx did not seem as hellbent on my captivity as she did about Rikyn. I had told him time and time again that my name was Aithniel, but he insists on calling me something else. That frustrates me greatly. I am not sure whether or not to take my mother's lack of interest as lack of caring or a blessing, because I get to wander around, learn, when Rikyn does not. Maybe I should be upset, but I am not.

My little, black hooves crunched around on the rocks as I trotted along the perimeters of my mountainous home. I stared up at trees that seemed to tower higher and higher than I could even comprehend. Wow. Everything around me is so great and so strong, sturdy. Carefully, I picked my way around a large, wicked looking bush and moved along my way. Would I meet anyone today? Everyone here had some sort of horn on their head, and the nubs that were on my temple have now grown out almost behind my ears.

Did I fit in?

Maybe, but the feathers that stuck to my side were growing more and more pronounced. No longer did they hide in my white fur. I had no interest in ripping them out, for I was not ashamed of myself. But, I wondered why they did not have feathers. Why just me? As I wandered and thought, I found myself very far from Rikyn and mother (mother still sounded like a weird word for Illynx). I was not scared of being far away.

I spied a white hare and smiled, jumping after it, lion tail flashing behind me.

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Please tag me in everything!

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

Summer had come; a certain, seasonal balmy wind had settled into the mountain basin, protected, as it was, by the bitter, ever-present chill of the northern freeze. The snow had melted into the steaming pool; snow was never far out of reach in these lofty reaches, and yet, snowdrifts in their home had become scarce indeed in the season. Which is why Sin was particularly excited when he chanced to see a living, breathing abominable snowhorse traveling in their midst.

It was a jest, really. For in all actuality, this creature was made from horseflesh like the rest of them—and she wasn’t much of a horse either, more like a tiny little foaling wandering about, lost from their mother’s hip. Which only excited the Disciple even more, for somewhere within the twisting, treacherous depths of his blackened, heartless, soulless pit, there bloomed a love for these smaller creatures with ever growing fondness. He looked upon that snowy little filly with a nanny’s affection, his heart swelling as he watched her hop after a most unfortunate lapine creature.

“Little miss!” he trilled after her, his softer sort of gentlemanly tone spilling from his maw, his eyes hard, hard, hard, and manic as they beheld the spindle-legged, glass-blown creature. He approached her slowly, his smile warm, oh so welcoming. “Oh, hello, dear princess! I hope you haven’t lost your way?” It was only after he had gotten closer to the child when he noticed something about her that was quite curious, quite curious indeed.

Oh, dear…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG Credit: ness094@deviantart.com

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Summer was a ripe time for discoveries, and Erebos hastened to each one like an avid dreamer, coaxed and enticed with simplistic venues. He listened to the haunting cries of nocturnal vestiges, he witnessed feats of grandeur by the fish in the cool, breathtaking lake (sometimes joined them in a jubilant run – dancing across the surface, a mess of lanky limbs and bold, intrepid youth), and tiptoed through the remaining portions of frost before they disappeared for the season, exhausted and melted into the ground. Each moment was beckoned by a series of wonders and investigations, questions fostered and fueled by the effervescent glow of a child’s mind, scouring the sights, the sounds, of their world and pressing closer to gaze into its fathoms. Could he alter his form into water, like his mother, lose limbs to the power and sway of the ocean, become liquid, domination, and audacity (no, his mother had told him before he attempted to drown himself in a small pond)? Could he bring damnation to the corridors of life, craft demise into an art, devilish, macabre monstrosities, like his father (the Reaper had visibly stiffened, grown taut and nearly weary at the query, and the colt didn’t dare ask again)? What were other enchantments and invocations of the earth like? Did everyone hold a power? Did everyone possess a gift? Was the world constantly encased in these shrouds of contorting control: did one blessing lead to another, were empires and sovereigns possessed single-handedly by the Gods Huyana told him about, the paragons and pedestals forged by immortality? His curiosity forged and fueled the incitement of his long legs to sprint across the valley, search parlors, corridors, and hallways for answers, to cherish and hold the information, the calculations, firmly in his grasp and not let them go – enthralled with the concept of wickedness, of virtue, of the precarious balance between the two and where he fell along its pinnacles. Every moment led him down particular roads and pathways, but he didn’t know which held firmer indentations, the ferocious, the predatory, the mighty, the strong, or the gallant, the brave, the valorous. Could they be intertwined? Were they linked? Was this land, this threshold, another one that bore so many twisting stories, anomalies, strangers cloaked in daggers, newcomers flanked in smiles?

Even more tempting, beguiling, and alluring, was the notion of meeting others. He’d come across several inhabitants, besides his family, and flown to aspects of social interludes as if he were born to them – he could play, he could grin, he could impart devilish mischief, he could become unbound and undaunted! The prospect of more creatures, more figures, prompted his explorations into deeper trials, gliding across the Basin’s portal like a shadowy fixture, laden with all the opulence of a scion’s predilection for speed. His eyes poured over the horizon, until he noted two figures swaying beyond, unfamiliar (though mostly everyone seemed to be, but he pledged that it wouldn’t be for long; new faces would soon change into old, recognized ones, fire-forged friends), and he changed his direction so that as he grew closer, he was a barreling, quick menace draped in grins and glory. A boisterous shout was unleashed from his lungs, noting his entrance with all the exuberant, wild etchings of a barbaric emir, touched and scorched by the finer molding of his impish smile. “Hello!” He stopped when he was mere feet away, noting that he’d managed to not crash into the darker one, and perused the other beings in the mountainous presence. One couldn’t have been much bigger than him (another babe, another child nestled in the tundra!), lightly feathered (were those wings mother had spoken of?), and lion-tailed (he had one of those too!). Erebos was immediately fascinated, she was such a collection of things and trinkets, but made sure to share his preoccupation with the stallion, because he too was an alluring cretin. His horn was not like the child’s at all, it curled and whirled, and his eyes were spooky, evocative beacons that, had the beast not seemed friendly, Erebos surely would have been unsettled and frightened at his appearance. Instead, he granted both of them his calling (he’d been practicing, figured Adelric would be proud of his proper pronunciation). “I’m Erebos!” Then, tilting his head, he prospered a set of queries to the dame, noting her ivory hare dashing amongst the bracken, and stag, wishing to seize, to possess, some noteworthy knowledge of their existence. “Who’re you?”

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after
I don't need another friend

Image Credits

AITHNIEL

I was not exactly sure what I was going to do with the hare once I caught it, but the chase was certainly exciting. Up ahead, I saw a small hole in the ground - possibly its home? I jumped ahead of it, forcing it another direction before bounding off, only stopping when I noticed the approach of a tall, dark stallion who called me "miss". Though I wanted to go after the hare, perhaps this was a good way to stop lest I end up killing it. The thought did not frighten or bother me, but I had no reason to kill it and thus would not.

Maybe it was stupid but when the glass-eyed, goat stallion approached, I stood my ground, looking up at him with an ill-founded confidence and maybe (just a touch) of arrogance. Though I knew I was not better than anyone else, I certainly wasn't going to let on that I acknowledged that - especially not to these adults. These adults seemed to always be worried or think I was lost. Poor Rikyn was probably still stuck somewhere with Illynx for fear of getting lost.

Princess? Pffttt... Princess of Nowhereville. Queen of Abandonment. I was no more a princess than that hare was a toad. "No, I not lost," I said, posturing and puffing up my chest a little. I wasn't, really. Illynx was on the other side of the lake. Did I know where I was? No. But, I knew where I wasn't, and that was good enough for me right now. My impudent gaze faltered when I saw a leggy, quick figure coming our way, punctuating his arrival with a yes.

He stopped so close, but I was actually grateful for his presence since it took some of the attention off of me and the fact that I was not near Illynx. Erebos was his name, which I knew since he said it, and I looked him over. He was tall, taller than Rikyn! Blue eyes were settled into a dark, handsome face, and he had a long, curly tail like mine, except he was a blue gray color. Instead of two horns like mine, which were still little black nubs just starting to push back, he had one in the center of his forehead.

One ear tilted back toward the escaping hare, but this was more interesting now. The boy asked me who I was - at least I thought I did. (He did seem to be looking at me after all). He could have been asking the old one, but I answered anyway. "Aithniel," I said. I had sort of named myself, but I think I knew what my name was - in a weird way. Rikyn had called me thistle something. I couldn't even say that word: thistle. Part of me thought I should answer like Illynx with "Aithniel the blah blah blah, of something blah blah blah", but I wasn't anybody. My long, golden and charcoal tail curled around one of my back legs, and I realize how incredibly short I was in comparison to this group.

Still, I kept my chest puffed and my little, gray chin held high.

Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Hidden Account
M.E.

Sin continued to smile down upon the filly, his half-frosted eyes also grinning in their own way as well (he had yet to blink once since approaching the tiny snow creature). Her flutter-dove voice erupted in her confident assertion to her confidence in her whereabouts, which only seemed to charm the dappled stallion even more; indeed the bite of arrogance that came from the tiny milk teeth were quite lost on the monocled sir, for his was a breed unaffected and quite oblivious to those kinds of subtle social cues. Oh, but how charming the poor child seemed to be! How darling the little snow fawn was! This, of course, made it much crueler for the deprived nymphette to be afflicted in such a curious fashion.

“My dear…” Sin started delicately, completely and utter unfazed by her tiny defiance; his words, however, were cut short by the raucous, glorious fanfare that signaled the arrival of yet another youngster. Sin’s breast positively swelled with affection and adoration; it had been some time since the Basin had been this full of downy little children fluttering about the place! And, as he received a closer look at the child, something clicked within the stallion’s skull as he took in the dark, satin black of the boy’s coat, the deep blue eyes of a churning ocean, the rigid, handsome lines of his form, as though cut from the finest obsidian…

“Oh, look what we have! Sin said to the boy, his head dipping quickly and his grin grinning all the more happily, “A true prince of the Basin, yes, it must be the very son of the Reaper!”For who else could sport such a dark and comely countenance? The boy was Deimos in miniature. “Good day to you, Sir Erebos! It’s a pleasure to meet you. I am Zikar-Sin, keeper of knowledge.” He said this to both children, dark and light, his eyes swiveling from one to the other in manic abandon. “I also used to tell stories, you see.” Oh, how long ago it was, since he had seen his precious Farai, the striped little filly from the Threshold. It had been some time since he had fostered a child, and now, he found, the ache had been sitting dormant at the very bottom of his void-soul, rising up once again with these very newly minted additions to the northern clan.

Aithniel, the snow-child’s name was. And, now that he got a good look at her, he discerned more than just white and grey on her form; no, this child was gilded as well, draped with dusky bronze and gold. The idea that Illynx had begotten this child died as soon as it was entertained; the notion that his fair Lady could have begotten a creature such as this was utterly absurd. “My little Lady,” Zikar-Sin said, his voice soft and kind as his ice-burning eyes bore into the filly, “Sweet darling. How is it that you’ve come across unfortunate appendages as these? As he spoke, he reached forward with his muzzle, in order to touch and feel the downy abominations that adorned Aithniel’s backside; if the fawnling would permit, he would even try to softly grasp the tip of one wing with his teeth, and pull it slightly. “Would you not rather them be removed, darling?” he said, withdrawing. “You would be so beautiful in your purity, you know.” He continued to smile gently down to the child, his mind blazing with the ideas of what one could do with a hybrid’s wing. It would be best to remove it at her tender age; the pain would be great, but surely she might even grow to forget that little piece of inconvenience? And besides, her life would increase tenfold, and surely the chances of infection would decrease the older she got? Child’s bones were soft; perhaps it would be true for wing bones as well? Oh, the research! He would grant a better life for the child conduct ground-breaking experiments, all in one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Excitement remained chiseled in the limber, lithe junctures of his movements, of his presence, jovial and pleased to be meeting new faces, content to make this a constant luxury, eternally eager to grasp newfound friends or entangle the world in his bright curiosity. The ivory filly spoke, and he yielded his fixation upon her, listening, conjuring, and attempting to piece together the heralding she offered in return. Aithniel - he thought it was a bit of a mouthful, tougher than his own calling, something requiring more practice and dedication. He attempted to proclaim it across his tongue, butchered it once or twice in his soft, quiet mumbling. “Aith…Aithknee…Aithniel.” He granted the final gesture with a nod, politely encouraging more of her speech, glad to have been given the small token. At the very least, he was glad she wasn’t shy, raising her head like he did, bold and intrepid, brave and audacious; perhaps she’d make a great playmate, and they could go exploring or discovering things. His attention was briefly rerouted back to the stallion with the eerie gaze (he seemed far more otherworldly than a lot of the creatures he’d met; possessing some unearthly qualities within those pale eyes). The stag seemed to even know of him! His jaw dropped for a moment or two, in disbelief his presence warranted any of the head bobbing or grand affection, before he scraped it back to its prior position and tried to resume his princely countenance, more regal affects: a proud frame, mighty and strong, gallant and stalwart, an open chest destined to become wide and strong, chiseled with muscle. His words betrayed him though, trickling and rolling with jubilant surprise. “You know my father?” He was well aware of his sire’s title, the merits of a Lord, but the Reaper was also not a braggart, didn’t boast his accomplishments upon his children, and his mother seemed to keep those stories to herself (when you’re older, dear, and he wondered how much blood, death, and annihilation were worn and etched into those tales, wanted them all). But this Zikar-Sin told stories, knew things, came with wisdom and knowledge, and the little colt, brash and cunning, longed to harbor, grasp, and absorb the proclaimed. The words pouring out of his mouth came without lie or deception, he truly relished in them. “Pleasure to meet you, Zikar-Sin.”

But he was no longer the center of attention, and both he and the story-teller, a keeper of sagacity, flickered their gazes towards the pale Aithniel. However, while Erebos could think of naught more than tales and mythos, playing and discovering, Zikar seemed to have other notions and ideas, sparking and inciting further intrigue, more curiosity. The elder’s stare remained upon the bounty of tiny feathers springing from her back, little plumes and quills destined to allow her to soar over mountains and cliffs, journey along the horizon, drift and swoop until the sun went down. Erebos thought they were wonderful, brilliant gifts of tufted birds and divine gods, but the other did not. In delight, semi-sweet verbage, he asked if she wanted them removed, unfortunate appendages, as if she were damaged goods, lowly and soiled. The lad’s brow furrowed together in confusion, tangled bits of uncertainty and bewilderment. Huyana had always proclaimed wonderful narratives of regal gliders and fliers, Pegasus crooning over summits and fields, and Zikar-Sin thought they weren’t of any value, unsightly. The differing opinions hardly settled over the youth’s mind, but for a moment, he gestured in dauntless, daring exploits, formed his speech against their expulsion with an influential tongue. “What’s wrong with them?” He tilted his head, offered murmurings of the infantile mind, incapable of seeing the swarming pestilence, hate, menace, and loathing roaming amongst his world. “I like them. She can fly and soar when they get bigger!”

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits

AITHNIEL
I wondered if his eyes were the moon. The only part of that theory that bothered me was that there was only one moon. Why then were his eyes so... solid? Rikyn's had these deep, rich, colorful flecks around a dark center, but his eyes were washed out. Part of me wondered if I should be scared by this, but I wasn't. As always, I was foolishly brave, but I had never gotten in trouble to knock me down off of my high, self-proclaimed pedestal. I watched as the man spoke to me, but he was interrupted by another boy.

I was grateful for the interruption, and I watched the graceful and confident way he just... exerted himself into the situation. (Children had a funny way of seeing the good in all tumbling). Okay, maybe I was just staring too much now, but he was speaking. That meant that I could stare, right? No one had given me the "boys have cooties" talk, so I could not be held responsible for anything. At all. Ever. Even his struggle to say my name was endearing, but I was not educated in the art of flirtation. As such, I just stood there, staring at him with blinking, silver eyes.

Son of the Reaper? Prince of the Basin? My eyes widened. Oh, Erebos must be the son of Deimos then. I had heard Illynx mention him before, and Rikyn had also mentioned him. From the whispers, I was supposed to be very careful around the taciturn, dark lead, but Erebos seemed so kind and carefree. Absently, I hoped that he would not turn into a rumored horror and retained this very cute side.

As he and this "Zikar" spoke, he seemed so confident in his words, and so much older. I could barely string a proper sentence together, and he was already performing posh introductions. I wondered what type of stories Zikar used to tell, but then his attention turned back onto me, and my ears tilted back ever so slightly.

I was confused at first about what he was talking about until his muzzle reached to my side. With a suspicious glance, I stepped to the side, narrowing my gaze. What was unfortunate about my feathers? I pressed the barely formed bones more into my sides when he mentioned having them removed. While I was not attached to my wings, I was attached to my own body, and I was not keen on having any of it altered or removed. Illynx was not here, and I would not be Rikyn, having to obey every word.

Just as I was about to snap something ugly in response (because formulating my feelings into words was much too difficult), Erebos spoke up in my defense. The surprise rocked me, and I opened my mouth for a moment, unsure of what to say. Would I be able to fly? Even with the nubs of horns on my head? I didn't think I would be, since none of the other horned ones here flew... Absently, I pulled a childish muscle, lifting the bones from my sides a little, able to see a slight shape to the downy feathers. "You think I could fly?" I asked, curious.

"They are so small though..." I trailed, looking at my feathers. I chose to ignore the option of removing them at this time, hoping that the topic would just drift away on its own. I really didn't want to think about any of that or have to sort out my feelings on the matter.

Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Hidden Account
M.E.

My, but wasn’t the little Erebos most vocal in his innocence? Zikar-Sin chuckled some, amused and hopelessly enamored with the Basin prince; though he wore the same cloak as his sire, the child-like gleam in eyes that could be so cold and calculating was a humorous twist of things. His inquiring mind was a desirable trait in a child, of course, as well as his careful etiquette; Sin nodded vigorously as the child asked him about his familiarity with the famous General-turned-Lord. “Oh yes indeed, I know your father,” he said warmly down to the dark princeling, “He’s rather a force to be reckoned with in the Basin, isn’t he? He lead our armies for many moons before finally being summoned personally they the God of Time to lead our people home, after the blight.” He gave a slight, tinkling laugh. “But that’s another story for another time, yes?” His knowledge of the Reaper seemed impressive when thus presented—though in actuality Sin had never been too privy towards the Reaper’s personal life, save for a far-flung, garbled night in the hot-springs. The appearance of Erebos was enough of a happy surprise to illustrate this.

The other angel foaling, Aithniel , seemed much more withdrawn than her swarthy counterpart. It bothered Sin none, though somewhere in the depths of his chest he mourned the chance to feel the down of her tiny, growing wings. Ahh, well. There would be a chance soon enough. “I like them too,” he said quietly, as Erebos chimed in with his own inquiries to the matter—though, of course, Sin liked her wings for vastly different reasons. It seemed Erebos’ youth clouded his sight upon the delicate matter at hand—but Sin wasn’t deterred. It only meant guidance was in order at this moment, and oh, how he loved to guide children onto the right path!

“You see, children,” he started delicately, his leering gaze shifting between the dark visage of the Prince, the pale countenance of the little lady, “We are creatures of the earth, and the earth is meant to be our domain. The skies belong to the birds and the auroras and the Gods, oh, the mighty Gods who crafted the very realms we occupy!” He closed his eyes once, briefly, a single blink as he continued to stare down at the wonderful little souls, “It’s an unfortunate abomination for one of our own to fly, and sadly, wings do strange things to the minds of mortal equines and unicorns. I myself was attacked upon entrance to this glorious land, by those winged and those of the uncrowned. Pegasi—which they are named—are savage creatures, those of base and lesser minds, prone to behavior best suited to the beasts of the forest and savannahs. It was one of them that brought sickness to our fertile lands.” Oh, but what a glorious sickness it was! “Entire herds of the winged and the uncrowned conspired against us, taking our own, attempting to destroy our wonderful clan!” He shook his head with the incivility of it all; true mourning was lost on Sin.

“Yes, little Aithniel, you will be able to fly when you are older if you choose to keep your wings,” he said to her kindly, almost fatherly, “though I fear they will change you from the lady you are into an unfortunate beast of passion. I’m sorry little one, but I do not think you will be allowed to stay here when you are older, unless you allow your wings to be removed.” At this, his face brightened up some as his unblinking gaze crawled over to the tiny, downy appendages that poked from her sides, “Fortunately, your wings are small and fragile things, and it will be very easy for me to remove them with the least amount of discomfort!” He smiled cheerfully at the thought of malleable baby bones snapping from their sockets, healing most beautifully with the least amount of scar tissue, so that she would grow to be a pure unicorn maiden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The world was full of fascinating venues and intriguing forms, and his mind was riveted, tossed, fixated on multiple things all at once, so the little, lithe creature was ruffled and convinced to slide his gaze back and forth, over the rampaging ruminations and gleaming prospects. Aithniel, with her illustrious feathers, with her ivory hide, with her quiet sentiments, would be an ideal flier, gesturing across the moon or the sun, embodying the sullen grandeur of repose, dulcet and extraordinary – wondering if she could possibly soar. If it were the colt’s whims, she would have done so already, gallantly showing them her supreme command of the earth and sky, rummaging across vast horizons and beckoning towards them with the vibrant chirps of songbirds. If it were the colt’s determination, she’d clamber and show the Haruspex the power and domination of her influences and capabilities, not allowing them to be prodded or poked apart (what would Zikar-Sin say to him? Mumble about his lack of control over his newly discovered enchantments? Surely there was some weakness to utilize and harness in every individual). He sculpted his rogue features into a chiseled, stubborn, resolute fixture, and if someone looked at him quickly, swiftly, perhaps they’d see the regal conjectures of his sire in a younger state, the brooding, indifferent lines of his brow, reticence brimming beyond the long, lanky limbs or the grave conviction of a adamant, tenacious mind. But, before he could say anything more, for the lad had every intention of speaking his juvenile piece, the storyteller spoke again; and he was momentarily distracted by the whirlwind mythos of the Reaper, of Deimos, of the deathbringer and his crusades. It seemed he would have to gamble with his exploits, his rushing, his plunging into someone else’s defenses, if he hadn’t bent his crown to listen to the lilting tale of his father’s exploits, he wouldn’t have heard their regal encasements, their fortuitous, augured statements, or the following lines prescribed and administered by the monocled stag.

The narrative and anecdote unraveled from the Seer’s mouth was one Erebos hadn’t heard, and his ears became keen, absorbing, encompassed, emboldened, and delighted, capturing the essence of the tale as it flowed in airy, whimsical tones. The earth belonged to the birds, to the auroras, to the Gods, and he understood the notion, how he’d never be able to touch the clouds or the heavens, and he nearly gave Aithniel a giant grin (because she had the chance, the opportunity, so many did not!). Yet, the word abomination rolled across Zikar’s tongue, and it sounded horrid, blistering, scathing, a barb or a thorn, rattling and rankling back over the tufts of the girl’s feathers. Pegasi are savage creatures…; the statement stirred a slow draw, a languid, listless broth and brew in the scion’s mind, stayed, nestled, conjuring so many more anomalies and questions. The Pegasus and uncrowned brought destruction and devastation to them? Is that what his father and his followers fought against seasons past and in the portended future? He wanted to ask, to query, to throw out numerous quandaries muddling his thoughts, his sights, his aspirations, but something rattled at his blood, at his core, and with a contrary shield, he fixed himself back into place, bold and audacious. “But she hasn’t done anything wrong – she wasn’t one of those creatures who brought disease or ruin.” After all, she was a child, just as much as he, incapable of lavishing and languishing annihilation upon their world (and something haunted him in the back of his youthful convictions; wondering if she, like so many others, would eventually be capable of those terrible onslaughts). He spoke again though, vigilant and commanding, narrowing his brows in careful consternation. “Why should she be punished for something she didn’t do?”

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits

AITHNIEL

Aithniel knew that Erebos' father, Deimos, was one scary man, but she didn't realize that Erebos was also the son of a general. Wow. If the God of Time had actually chosen Deimos to be a lead directly, then that practically made her new friend a blessing of the gods! She stared at Erebos in awe, silver, churning eyes wide. Okay, well he definitely trumped her "found somewhere in a field" story. Aithniel did not remember much before that - only the horrible sensation of being hungry.

The small filly listened to the stallion speak, feeling her blood boil and heart shrink all at the same time. She hated feeling this way, being told that she did not belong and that her wings made her some sort of evil. Abomination? Aithniel looked down at the soft, downy feathers of her tiny wings and swallowed, hard. But, she had done none of those things! But how could she be one of those, scary and violent pegasi if she also had horns on her head? Didn't that at least help her belong?

The thought of not being allowed to stay in her only home was heartbreaking. Would she have to leave Rikyn? Honestly, leaving Illynx wasn't much of a concern, though she should really be nicer to the mare who had saved her life. Maybe if she was nicer to Illynx, the mare would let her stay? She had brought her here, right? Aithniel would make sure to talk to her before making any decisions about her wings.

Now, suddenly feeling horribly unattractive and trapped into a corner, the second flame did not cower or weep, she got angry.

Her shield, the prince Erebos, spoke again, giving confidence to her upset, and she held her head high, inhaling deeply. Even though she felt so shaken within, the anger made the fear and anguish much less painful. While she carefully considered her words, she stretched out the very small wings. Though she did not know this, having been born from an egg, her wings would take time to develop.

Aithniel took a deep breath.

"I have horns," she said, tilting her head forward to display the two, dark nubs that were starting to grow backward from her brow. "I have hooves like Rikyn," she lifted a hoof to display her split hooves. "I even have a tail like him and his father." She flashed her lion tail around her hocks. "I have no mom and no dad. I am a creature of the earth, and maybe, if I can fly, of the sky too." She paused, trying to think desperately. "And if I can fly, then I can help, because I can reach mountain tops you can't and see for danger."

"I would never attack you, and I would never hurt anyone here. So if you and anyone else wants to kick me out when I get older, then you will have no one to blame but yourselves. I am keeping my wings, even if they will never work!" She yelled, trying to control her emotions. And though she said it, those words were only half true. She needed to talk to Illynx and Rikyn.

With those words spoken, she huffed and ran away, trying very, very hard not to cry.

Would... they really kick her out?

Image Credit

But burn down our home
I won't leave alive

Hidden Account
M.E.

It was a patient smile that continued to grace the features of the Haruspex as he gazed down gently on the confused little children. Their ignorance did not perturb him in the slightest; was he not responsible for the education of young foals? Their inexperience was not their fault—it was simply a matter of time and age, and no mortal soul could control those variables.

So when Erebos continued to display a considerable protection for his pale comrade, Sin felt a flush of affection that tinged on the border of pride; he absolutely adored the young lad’s strong sense of duty to his herdmates. A most desirable trait to have in a young child, surely. His father would have been proud of his powerful sense of alliance, Zikar-Sin thought to himself. And if he isn’t, I’m certainly proud. “You’re right, Prince Erebos; she hasn’t done any of those things,” he spoke in a gentle voice, a voice of reason and patient education, “nor should we punish her for things she hasn’t done yet. But tell me, young Erebos…If you and her were to grow up, friends as you are, and she were to act most strange and erratic, and finally attacked you and your kin—why—would you stand for it? Would you allow her to wreak havoc and bring sadness and ruin into our peaceful little basin? No, I don’t think so…you’re a strong, courageous boy, Erebos, and no doubt you would protect your future domains…but I do not imagine you would like to battle your old friend.” It was imagination, surely—for Sin did not comprehend those sorts of moral scruples. As a matter of absolute fact, he had some trouble in that moment fully comprehending the clear states of upset that both children were displaying; in his mind’s eye, they were simply having a conversation, in the most dispassionate of forms. “I do not seek her punishment; rather, my dear Prince, I want her to stay with us, very much so, and I want her to keep her sweet, docile nature. I do not want to see her become an enemy when you’re older. If there were any other way, we’d take it—but I’ve seen the aggression of Pegasi, and I—“

At this point, Sin was most dreadfully interrupted by the filly in question. As he gazed down at the tiny module of righteous anger and confused, hapless terror—and as he watched this tiny child lay bare her soul for that fraction of a second in impassioned defense, the only thought Zikar-Sin had was how utterly adorable she was, in all her explosive emotion; it was almost as though she were a grown body! And yet, there in his amusement, there sat the bitter gall of disappointment as he regarded her passionate outburst; she ran from them, and the regret grew in his breast as he sighed deeply, watching the pale child make her hasty, spindle-legged retreat.

“…but this is precisely what I mean, Erebos,” he said quietly, looking down once again to the young prince, eyes wide and sorrowful with the remorse that he never once got a chance to touch those wings of hers. You ask questions and try to figure out the world you live in. She ran from the face of reason and truth, instead of meeting it head on. I fear her passions have already begun to become unruly….” He sighed again, this time delicately, tremulously. “Do not stop protecting her, Prince,” he said to the dark colt, gravely serious, “Try to reason with her, be her anchor to proper civility. Encourage her transformation…or she may yet turn against us, whether she believes it or not.” He shook his head, monocle glinting slightly in the twilight. “Oh, I do not want to see her become an enemy...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pale dove erupted, burst, and his juvenile mind understood all the nuances of her rage – if someone accused him of being an abomination, like a plague gliding over the earth, smiting and destroying with no rhyme or reason, suffocating, strangling, devouring, perhaps he too would have exploded, furious and ferocious, ignited by unjust cruelties and malicious slander. There was no justification for the censure and derision, the consignment and alignment towards oblivion, for the Haruspex knew she hadn’t committed any of these alleged crimes. Was this a fair trial? Was she to be subjected and punished for erroneous materials? If the only thing altered from their frames (and truly, there were all so alarmingly different, no sword the same spear, no tail the same length, no body the same shape) were the tiny sprout of her wings, intricate feathers promising to bloom and blossom into gliding features, how did it affect her behavior, make her corrupt? Wasn’t it their experiences, the brutality, the carnivorous onslaughts, chiseling, sculpting, molding them into presaged alignments and augured sentiments? Erebos continued to frown, so bitterly confused and torn between Zikar-Sin’s patient cajoling, constant insistence on the dangerous whims of a Pegasus, and Aithniel’s distortion and brooding calamity. The storyteller’s queries were perfected knots and rapiers, cutting deeply into the scorn, into the ignorance, into the bliss of his childish interior, as if he saw through his blood, his skin, his hide, and contorted how the little scion cherished, beloved, presided over his home, his land, his friends; drove the knife in deeper, bent it towards his brazen, emboldened frame. Would you allow her to wreak havoc and bring sadness and ruin into our peaceful little basin? No, but he wouldn’t permit anyone else either – so did it matter who the perpetrator was? He’d march and seize, harness and harpoon, whoever sought to annihilate his haven; and the slight inkling, the saddening, maddening image of a Pegasus swarming into the icy spears, wreaking havoc and terror in its wake pressed against his eyes. The child grew weary, tired, vexed and frustrated, until his features were naught but a blank slate, an indifferent stare his father likely mastered in his own youth, and the tight, rigid undulations of his frame promised naught but brazen platitudes. “It should be her choice whether she wants to keep her wings. Not ours.”

The speech littered and coaxed, and Erebos listened, frenetic and torn. “Oh, I do not want to see her become an enemy...” A sudden rush of determination claimed his impish soul, and the cretin ambience, the fiendish deliverance, the dominating regime of his archaic blood stormed, turbulent, echoed and rioted over the statement. Irreverent certitude pierced over the bounty of his taut lips, blue, sharpened gaze slashing towards the monocled beast, speaking through his teeth, emboldened resolutions framing searing endeavors. “She won’t.” Absolute certainty crossed and meshed amidst his boyish, pernicious pursuits, confidence and convictions without the words of the future, presaged, portended lights, too far gone and kindled, incised, by the rigorous thirst to prove the world wrong. His eyes glanced over to her retreating form, ivory and ash springing away, towards the brink of horizons, auroras, wondering if his new friend would eventually become his enemy, or if the earth behaved in generous factions, preferred children to live out their dreams in color and hopeful whims. His voice bled over the scene with infallible assurance, plunging through behemoth potency, brutal finality, feral, protective generosity from one child to another. “I’ll make sure of it.”

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits