the Rift

[OPEN] We All Fall Up

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen

Rei

The spotted pegasus ambled along in a path that her hooves chose on their own accord. Humming an out of tune song that had no meaning and no constant rhythm she waded through the tall grasses that moved like waves against her hocks.

Rei's sense of belonging had grown daily during her time in Helovia. Each day was new and with each rising and setting of the sun some new event had left her in awe.

Her head was held higher than it used to and she moved with more purpose than she ever had before. There was so much possibility rooted in Helovia. It was in this land that Rei knew that she could achieve great things.

Upon the recommendation of another traveler she had met in passing she had traveled to this spot in order to sample the uniquely flavored grasses that grew with the nourishment from the salty surroundings. The sweet grasses with the sour after taste were far better than what the traveler had given them credit for and she hastily moved across the ground munching away mouthful after mouthful.

The sun shifted in the sky and a dark shadow moved across the land she stood on. Too large to be a cloud she furrowed her brow wondering what it could possibly be. In a moment's time the sun was completely blanketed by whatever had passed over and the area dimmed exponentially.

"What in the world?" she raised her head from the grasses she had been munching on and lifted her eyes to the sky. The unblinking attention she directed at the island in the sky did not even falter whenever the sound of hooves reached her ears. Her voice called out to whoever was walking up behind her. "Is this normal?"

In the sky an island was floating by. Her breathe caught in her throat as Lytninia crossed her mind. Could it be that her home had drifted towards Helovia? Her chest tightened at the thought of the hatred rooted in the land seeping into Helovian soil. But no, this island was shaped differently. It was much larger than her former home.

Squinting into the glaring sun she made out the shapes of others heading towards the island. It floated as a broad testament to the flashiness of nature who would go as far as to bend its own rules in order to make a statement regarding its power. Her eyes widened as her eyes fell upon those who lacked wings that were making their way across the sky.

"That cannot be normal."

Stretching her wings out her words became drenched in mischievousness. "Shall we give getting up there a go? I could use some exercise after all of the snacking I did just now." Laughing she walked towards the edge watching as pebbles tumbled from the edge and plummeted into the crashing waves below.

Throwing herself to empty expanse of sky before her, she offered herself as a plaything to gravity. Her mane and tail streamed from behind her as gravity's forces embraced her freckled body tugging it towards the churning waters below. Once she tasted the first spray of salty droplets scatter across her mottled muzzle she fully extended her wings gaining altitude with only a few powerful pumps of her wings.

"Race you there!" Rei called out behind her. She supposed that she could be taken as behaving rather childish but she felt as light as one of the downy feathers that graced her wings. How could one remain heavy when their heart beat so lightly?

@[Finn]
@[Nasreen]
@[Athenä]
@[Alysanne]
@[Hector]

I tagged everyone who had at some point or another wanted to thread with her. I hope that you guys don't mind. Totally open to anyone though.

Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
You’re flying to the southern edge of Helovia today, in the hope of finding home. You’ve been here a few times before, but you haven’t explored it extensively—perhaps there’s something new to see. As it turns out, there is something new to see, and it’s so surprising that you nearly fall out of the sky: a floating island looms before you, surrounded by dreamy clouds and covered in lush vegetation. Waterfalls thunder off of its sides, and a light breeze carries their cool mist to your face, leaving droplets scattered in your mane. Eyes wide, you begin a banking turn, intending to give this magical place a thorough investigation.

As you are beginning your ascent (for you lost considerable altitude when you first saw this impossible levitating rock), something—or rather, someone—zooms up from the ocean below you, a blur of black and white. “Race you there!” a cheery girlish voice rings out, and while you are taken by surprise once more, you’re up for a friendly race with this stranger. It’s been far too long since you played this way with your own siblings back in Th’orqui, you remember with a pang to the heart.

But there is no time to waste—the black and white mare has had a considerable head start, and it takes some wild pumping of your own wings and some hard flying to draw within range. “Not so fast!” you call up to her breathlessly, hoping to overtake her. Not only is it a beautiful day to go racing, it’s the perfect day to make a new friend.

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

100%

She took comfort in the company of the babbling river. Its song was both tranquil and fresh, and her lips fondled affectionately beneath the rippling surface, drawing delicately the sweet flavour to quench the growing thirst and fill the empty space in her stomach. Africa was travelling south, guided only by the meandering water, enjoying the mild warmth of the day, while Silas wheeled through the vast blue arcing sky ahead, taking pleasure in the lightness of his sensitive bonded’s mood. The mare’s quiet tread was light and playful, skipping every now and again to dance between smiling flower-heads or scatter pebbles swept ashore by the constant sea-bound current. This is bliss! she presumed, declaring it vibrantly into the mind of her distant companion, and he was glad for her (though not quite as confident that all was as clear-cut as she seemed to think).

He’d watched her grow through their many months bonded, watched personalities waltz through her life, both in and then out just as rapidly, and there were only a few who had truly touched her. Silas knew she longed to believe that what she felt for the leather-winged stallion was love, but he could feel the raw reality of the situation. Such emotion and trust, the fulfilment she thought existed was merely an apparition forged by desire and by hope. Hers was a loneliness rooted aside from the companionship he offered; it had been growing for years, still longer than he’d even been alive, and though they lived for one another, he understood the pang in her heart- but for the right suitor. If that reckless tattooed creature was her destiny, much work was still to be done.

A shadow pulled him from thought suddenly, and Silas’s sharp lilac eyes narrowed on the mass of cloud wandering across the burning face of the sun. He blinked bewilderedly, and realised when his gaze fell that way again, that there was also a mass of land travelling through the air, the sky, above Africa’s cherished shrine.

Silas? the trailing mare probed his mind, nervous, aware all of a sudden that confusion had scattered like white fog through his mind. They had not the need to sit constantly in each other’s mind; there was a thoughtful respect shared between them, but such abrupt fluctuations in emotion drew quickly the attention of the other. The Starry-Eyed stood motionless, water lapping playfully about the solid obstruction of her hooves. Silas, tell me what you see...

She closed her pale, panicked eyes hurriedly, opening them again instantly as the Roc’s own gaze. Africa’s lingering body flinched, startled as the island floating above the Veins appeared to her and her concentration swayed uncertainly so that she fell back to the river with a jolt. Instantly her white capped knees broke into a canter, and she searched upwards for the roaming silhouette of the avian; of the island! It had been there the whole time, all the while she’d been trekking south; but now, as she neared its position (the bridge to the God’s temple), it grew into an absolutely enormous presence- suddenly it was unavoidably obvious!

She staggered further into the Veins, gazing up all the time, and even before she’d considered shape-shifting, white fluffy cloud was gathering beneath her step. It was lifting her! And Silas swept down, clinging with a fierce grip to the slippery silk of her worn green cloak. Africa stood splay-legged as she moved towards the island- towards a gushing, white waterfall; flying still as a Pegasus like she’d not been able to do in years. The unlikely boat carried her to where a valley stretched on the upper side beyond the spilling water, and with widening eyes the one-winged found herself staring down upon a little town, roads dividing, tents standing. It was there that she was deposited.

The cloud dissipated quickly...

"Where are we?" the young mare fairly stammered, fidgeting nervously beneath the wary growl of her friend. The area was a hive of activity, but that was little comfort- the caves had much the same atmosphere, all bodies crammed in together. But it was different. There was a peace through the valley, a merriment that Africa had not before felt. She stepped away from the place the cloud had left her, and found after some time wandering, Rei, causing her heart to flutter with wild relief. "Rei!" she called eagerly, covering the distance at a bouncing trot pace. The speckled desert mare was with another, and Africa chivalrously greeted her with a broad, thoughtful smile. "Hey there, I’m Africa," she offered, noting that the pair were breathing quite hard.

[Ooc: I hope this is alright! Africa couldn’t race with them D:]
Africa

Rei

Rei was still attempting to catch her breath from the race that had taken place between the painted pegasus and herself.

"You," Rei lowered her head slightly gulping air into her lungs, "are fast." She spoke in-between her panting, "I got a head start and you still. I'm Rei, and to repair my damaged pride I may have to challenge you once more oneday! So we may have no choice but to strike up a friendship." She winked at the younger pegasus. She wasn't really concerned with her loss, although she was genuine in her desire for friendship.

"Rei!"

"Africa! It is nice to see a face that I know," Rei's voice rose eagerly, her words skipping forward to warmly drape themselves over the other mare in greeting. "Do you know where we are? Or what is going on?" The God of the Sun had made an appearance recently, could he have something to do with it?

"There is so much opportunity here. With so many gathered peacefully," As if to illustrate her words cherry blossoms were carried by a breeze and weaved in and out of the constantly growing crowd that gathered answering to the islands siren call. Some of the petals came to rest on the gathered bodies. When one landed on Rei she crossed her eyes while attempting to look at her own silky petal. Laughing she shook her head brushing the petal away. "Just picture the things that could come from this place. We are witnessing history in the making." The spaces between her words teemed with a breathless excitement that spoke whenever her own voice remained quiet.

While still listening for their answers Rei walked forward gently shouldering her way through the gathered. Looking back over her shoulder she continued to speak raising her voice in order to be heard over the constant murmur of the crowd, "We just have to explore further! I wouldn't be able to have peace of mind if we didn't check out a few nooks and crannies this place could be hiding."

Her eyes had come alive with a spark that rarely exists past childhood; blinding and clearing the vision all at once. Gone were her troubles. The world was now a fairy-tale unfurling its pages at Rei's feet. Nothing could convince her otherwise.

Magic usage is okay.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
No sooner do you catch up to the mare than the island is rushing up beneath your hooves. Surprisingly, you manage to stick the landing—all of your practice is beginning to pay off! And it’s fortunate, because here comes someone else to greet you. Before you have a chance to get a good look at the stranger, the spotted mare is turning to you. She is winded, but not breathing too hard to speak. Her words flow out at a million miles a minute as she exclaims brightly, “ You…are fast. I got a head start and you still. I’m Rei, and to repair my damaged pride I may have to challenge you once more one day! So we may have no choice but to strike up a friendship.” At first, all you can do is grin breathlessly at her. Her friendliness delights you, and you wish that you could reciprocate the gesture, but you still need a moment to catch your breath. It’s lucky for you that she’s talkative, or you would have been left awkwardly staring at her as your sides heave up and down. As it is, by the time she is finished, your breathing has slowed, and you raise your head. “I’m Nasreen,” you reply eagerly. “And I’d love to be friends,” you continue, a bit more shyly, “especially if that means racing. I haven’t had that much fun since Ishtar would—that’s my sister—since she and I would challenge each other.” Your grey eyes sadden a little at the thought of your lost home, but just as your ears are starting to droop, the stranger on the horizon is suddenly just a few yards away. “Africa!” Rei calls, and you turn to nod a polite ‘hello’ as she greets her friend. When you see her, however, your eyes widen—she’s on fire! A tiny gasp escapes your throat, but strangely enough, she doesn’t seem to be alarmed. Rei doesn’t appear concerned either, so for the moment, you don’t say anything. As you wait to introduce yourself, you belatedly notice that Africa only has one wing. Your heart goes out to her; for you, the thought of losing your ability to fly is as unimaginable as losing the ability to breathe. Briefly, you wonder how she got all the way up here, but you’re too polite to ask. Your Th’orquian upbringing did teach you manners, so your eyes don’t linger on her scarred and wingless side for more than a moment. Instead, you raise them to meet her own, finding an exceptionally gentle, golden gaze. Catching your eye, she smiles and introduces herself. “Nasreen,” you return, offering her a smile of your own. “It’s lovely to meet you.”

A light breeze toys with your hair, and you relax, happy to be in the company of new friends. You could stand here and chat with these two till the sun goes down, but it seems that Rei has other plans. She wanders after a flurry of cherry blossoms, and you trot after her. Past a small hill, you can see now that a crowd has gathered, and as Rei comments that this is history in the making, you feel the anticipation rising in your chest. The happy chatter reminds you of a Th’orquian town on market day, and already you are beginning to feel more at home than you have in ages. “We just have to explore,” the spotted pegasus is saying, and you voice your agreement enthusiastically, adding, “I’d love to have a look around! I’ve never seen anything like this place. What do you think, Africa?”

@[Africa]
(would you like to be tagged?)
horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

Deceased

100%

The spotted mare was indeed panting heavily, but there was no hesitation as she returned Africa’s call with a prompt, friendly greeting. The one-winged grey nodded, completely agreeing, and likening this high altitude paradise (the stew of bodies gathering together anyway), to the underground Sanctuary where Helovia’s population had last congregated. This bright, cheery place was far lovelier, and she had not the same wariness flanking her choppy stride.

"I’ve no idea!" her gentle voice exclaimed, pastel eyes turning on cue to further assess the wonder surrounding. "It's amazing, and so strange..." The smile pulling tight her dark, velvet grey lips only broadened as her wandering attention found the chestnut and ivory painted mare again. She responded with her own introduction, and Africa was touched by the apparent mildness of her nature. So many roaming the country these days were twisted, arrogant and difficult to get along with- the Starry-Eyed seemed to be a magnet for that sort. "You too," she beamed.

Rei’s personality was effervescent and entirely endearing; contagiously so, and as she shared with them her up-beat opinion of the Sky Island, Africa could not help but be swept up by the mood. She was an impressionable soul, keen to find the best in the world, and with company like that which she had found now, such a frightfully overwhelming concept became much simpler; almost near enough for her to grasp.

Petals borne upon the mild breeze danced down towards them, released by the trees who had new buds to nurture in their place. Thoughtful eyes watched them come curiously, her intelligent mind always triggered by the marvels of the natural world. The speckled mare shook one away which had settled on the bridge of her nose, and laughed. The dappled chuckled quietly; disappointed that she’d not been chosen to carry one as well. Moved by her new friends, and taken aback by the land that had brought them together, Africa’s lips wandered down to delicately pluck from the fresh grass three of the blossoms that had not broken apart. They will be perfect.. she thought, and Silas purred gently at the motivation turning through her mind. Carefully she opened the small satchel by her elbow (it had been returned by Sikeax after bearing gifts for World’s Edge), and dropped the flowers inside.

All the while her desert sister had been chatting merrily, and as the Starry-Eyed’s focus returned, Nasreen began to speak; she wanted to explore as well. The same enthusiasm swelled through Africa’s demure core, and she agreed heartily, "Alright! Let’s go." Since being installed as the Dragon’s Throat Sultana, she’d developed a small sense of leadership- an even smaller amount of confidence, but she was glad to be able to just tag behind for once. Relax, leave behind the troubles of her reign.
Africa

Rei

Rei moved at a brisk pace, after all there was an entire island for them to explore. If there was anything new to be found she wanted to be part of the discovery. At times she would go from a trot with strides that ate the ground to a dead stop in order to check out an object or a landmark that caught her attention.

Keeping her gaze forward she directed her speech to Nasreen, "I don't wish to dwell on matters that cause grief towards you. But I saw the expression that passed over your face whenever you mentioned your sister," Rei hesitated momentarily with a light sigh hanging in the air before her she didn't wish to darken such a day but her words once again began to tumble out on their own willpower. "I too lost my family." For once the spotted pegasus let details slide and continued talking without any further elaboration. "So I can understand how you must feel. Although I know that I could never replace what you may have lost I am here for you. I had no siblings and always wished for a sister. The only other foals that I had to play with were the colts. And you know how they are." She rolled her eyes in mock frustration.

Dipping her head and blushing slightly Rei hoped that her friends didn't think of her as being too forward or strange. Seeing the shadow that Rei knew must pass over own features occasionally she just had to reach out to the other pegasus.

Switching to a brighter tone after a few moments of being lost in thought Rei once again broke the quiet.

"Our names will be written in history for the discoveries that we will make today. They will sing songs of the explorations of Nasreen, Africa, and Rei. Nevermind the rest of the masses that have gathered today," Rei winked at her friends, "Who knows, maybe they will write our names down first!" She shrugged her shoulders. There was a happy skip in her tone of voice and her movements.

"So Africa, have you met with your other sultana to discuss my position in Dragons Throat?" Although her restless heart would never be quenched the pegasus felt like one of the petals they had watched earlier, simply riding the wind. Whimsical and fun--but without any true direction or feeling of purpose. Loyalty and a sense of duty were emotions that ran thickly in her blood. Although certainly loyal she felt as if she needed to contribute to her home more. "How do you like being Sultana? It must be," tilting her head slightly she searched for the right word. "It must be fulfilling."

The trio conversed with each other pushing their adventure deep into the untouched regions of the land in the sky. Mischievously Rei looked to each of her friends and grinned, "This adventure could use some, well, adventure to it."

Her mother had always told Rei to be careful what she wished for, Rei had a terrible case of always wanting more. She was ambitious and had such a strong desire for living a tale worthy life that it was nearly a flaw. Sometimes the mare struggled with remaining in the moment and being content with it.

This was certainly a time whenever she wished that she had put more thought into simply enjoying her walk with friends. A large bush in front of them began to rustle with growing intensity. Scrambling back with Rei watched wide eyed with her wings half unfurled to see what might emerge from the rustling bush in front of them.

Magic usage is okay.

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Voices. Little pink snout quivers in fright and floppy ears twitch as the noise comes closer. It was bad enough that she had been left here when she couldn’t keep up with the migration, but now…were they coming to eat her? Feathery wings press against the piglet’s sides as she scampers through the underbrush. The plants rustle as she moves, but she dares not risk flying. If she does, they will be sure to see her. Still, she is unused to traveling in this manner, and her efforts only succeed in bringing her round in a large, lopsided circle.

A twig snaps beneath a delicate cloven hoof and the creature startles at her own noise, bolting into a bush. Branches grab at her as she darts within, and she panics, thrashing about as she fights her unseen enemy. A terrified squeal erupts from her tiny, toothless snout, but no sooner does she burst free from the bush than she runs straight into three GIANTS. She freezes. It is as if she’s in a dream as she peers up at them slowly, realizing too late that they must be the owners of the very Voices she was fleeing. The last thing she sees before the world starts to spin is that the Giants, too, have wings. But their faces are nothing like Mum’s. Nothing at all…

With a gentle thud, the winged piglet’s body collapses in the soft dirt, blissfully unconscious.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
When Rei reaches out to comfort you, you are surprised—are you that easy to read? However, you are touched by her unexpected kindness. Grey eyes go misty, and you are only able to respond with a quiet, “Thank you,” and a nod of your head. While you are sorry for her own loss, in a strange way, it comforts you to know that you are not alone in your grief.

As you blink away the tears that have not yet spilled, you are grateful that your new friend has moved on to a more cheerful topic. You miss your family every day, but you find distraction is much easier on your heart than it is to dwell on them. “Our names will be written in history for the discoveries that we will make today,” Rei is proclaiming, and you giggle at the thought. Perhaps your adventures will not make it into any bedtime tales or famous legends, but surely you will have a good story to tell by the end of the day—it seems that anything can happen here! And if not, you muse, looking around at your companions, at the very least, you will leave this island with two new friends.

Therefore, you walk alongside Rei willingly as she chatters, eyes wide as you explore this floating countryside together. She strikes up a conversation with Africa, and you absentmindedly listen as you look around, taking in all of the sights that the landscape has to offer. You don’t gather much, only that they must be both part of something called ‘Dragon’s Throat,’ and that Rei seems to look up to Africa, perhaps much as you look up to dear Kahlua.

Your musings are cut short, however, by a violent rustling in a bush a little ways before you. Startled, you squeal and prance backwards, wings thrown wide instinctively in self defense. As adrenaline spikes your bloodstream, you are reminded that there are things unfamiliar here—you’ve got to be careful! Needless to say, when a small winged pink creature flops harmlessly onto the ground before you, you feel quite foolish…and a little concerned. “Is it…alive?” you whisper to Rei and Africa, not taking your eyes off of its unmoving form. You are tempted to go up to it and nudge it, but you are not quite sure that you’re brave enough to prod something unknown, as innocent as it looks.

@[Africa]

Image Link

Deceased

100%

Sharp, protective violet eyes scanned carefully the field as Africa hastened behind the excited tread of her desert sister. He was none too amused by the sudden occurrence of land hovering; they’d been tested before by the darkness, being driven to shelter far beneath the earth’s flaking, hot surface. The spotted mare’s path was sporadic, completely random, and though he was a creature of strategy and purpose, Silas endured with rare, unwavering tolerance the recklessness of this newest adventure.

The one-winged mare followed quietly, enjoying Rei’s obliging nature, and the way her chirpy voice seemed to fill any potential for awkward silences. Her unmindfully gregarious personality was one to be cherished, and it drew across pale grey features a thoughtful contentedness that felt all too rare these days. She puddled along smiling, glancing down towards fresh, vivid blooms as they caught Rei’s attention; marvellously smooth stones that caused her eager stride to hesitate, Africa soaked up the ambience, the beauty, the wonder.

She couldn’t relate directly as both Nasreen and Rei discussed a matter close to their hearts. As the topic lingered there (perhaps only for seconds), Africa felt the pang of grief for them, emotion spurred by loss and heartache, both of which followed her daily. It had been many years since the black and white Unicorn had torn away her wing; stolen from her a birthright. She’d grown well accustomed to it though, and the ache of futility had dulled considerably. The Starry-Eyed wondered privately, casting a warm glance between her new friends, if there was any comparison.

Silas croaked tenderly where he rode, silky soft fibres sliding constantly as her travelling body rocked. Occasionally his balance would fail, but star-glitter wings were spread apart skilfully and he never fell completely.

The playful banter went on for a little while longer, vast proclamations and sweet girlish giggling spurred ease through the one-winged Pegasus’ core that had been absent for a long time. She began to hum quietly, thinking, forming together a song which might suit the legend to follow this day- softly she began...

“Hail, the conquering heroes,
They’ve travelled near and far.
Over land and sea, by air,
When the sun is high, or dark.

There’s no adventure shied from,
No landscape too obscene.
Their voices sing in chorus for,
All the marvellous things they’ve seen!

Together and forever,
They will hold each other close.
Good friends are few and far between,
With you, life never slows...”

A coy, chortle followed, but she smiled genuinely as her eyes brushed by each other mare. Within her, an overwhelming feeling of belonging was growing- different to the deep tenderness she felt for Midas, and for Sohalia. She was drawn to Rei and to Nasreen in such a way she could not describe. Africa was a deeply sensitive soul, intelligent and emotional, and she experienced nothing by half.

The sound her sister’s voice pulled her from stewing thought.

"Sohalia?" She paused her step for only the briefest of moments, and shook her soft expression ruefully. "I’m sorry, no I haven’t. She has been so busy of late..." Africa wanted to tell Rei about the school, where her craft might fit into the grand plan that the white dove was still nurturing, but it was not yet the right time. "It is still at the front of my mind though, I promise." Her nose danced forward to try to bump the leopard-like hide of the other. "Maybe to sharpen your skills, why not begin a library of sorts?" The thought was brilliant, and her voice lifted as the idea evolved still further in her mind. "You could chronicle our native wildlife, or map our home?"

Africa had not the slightest clue how Rei might achieve such a thing, in all honesty, but she figured it might bring some relevance to the mare’s time. Certainly she had felt the gravity of pointlessness before. Then her face stiffened and she added with a grim soberness, "You should definitely document our song!"

The desert mare went on to question her feelings about leadership, to which the Starry-Eyed laughed. "Fulfilling... perhaps, at the moment though days are long. Our reward is the loyalty of those we work for- the company of our friends and family." In all honesty, she thought herself no better than any who shared home with her. There was nothing remotely special about her. The simple fact was that the God of the Sun had few long-standing followers to pick from, when Midas and Gaucho went missing (or so she believed), Africa had been one of the few who’d remained beyond the darkness.

They were trekking downhill later, the field spread around them lush and vast, when all of a sudden a bush nearby began to quiver. Silas cawed cautiously, skipping nearer to the flames curling through his bonded’s long mane, and he eyed the shrub warily before a winged, pink pig emerged- too small to be adult (although feathered swine was something he’d not before seen at all).

Nasreen had already danced a few steps in reverse and Africa thought instinctively to follow. But as the little creature stumbled forward and collapsed, the one-winged mare’s heart lurched. "I... I’m not sure?" she answered, moving against the will of her more responsible half (wings flared objectionably, hooked beak grinding in protest), to nudge her limp form.
Africa

The tune Africa created was catchy; Rei soon found the bubbly song with the bouncy tune to be stuck in her head. Unfortunately the pegasus possessed a singing voice that was capable of leading one to wishing that they were deaf so instead of singing another round of it she hummed it to herself inbetween the trios giggles and bright conversation. Rei had never had girlfriends like this before. She felt drunk on her giddy feelings.

"Helovia is just full of blessings." She uttered the words that she had only meant to be thoughts. But the emotion had swelled up to such an extent that the had no option but to spill out or else she would run the risk of bursting with joy.

"Oh yes!" Rei's voice positively chirped with excitement. "I will have to gather the tools of course. And Helovia is full of berries that I could use to make colored ink. Oh thank you Africa! Of course it would be a shame not to chronicle such a masterpiece. " Her laughter faded into a moment of quiet musings. You were right grandfather, writing will have a purpose after all. Thanks! A bittersweet smile crossed her face as she remembered the many frustrating lessons with him. Feeling her friend bump her muzzle to Rei's back brought her back to the present and she turned back to return the motion with a smile so large that her eyes squinted in delight.

"Is.. is it dead?"

"I....I'm not sure?"

Rei's heart squeezed in discomfort at the thought of the winged piglet being dead. Kneeling down and curling her body around the warm little body she looked up at her friends and blew her forelock from in front of her eyes.

"The cutie is only a baby. It just has to be okay." tilting her head to the side and furrowing her brow she glanced down at the little pink head that now rested on one of her forelegs. "I hope I don't further scare her by being so close, I acted on impulse." She considered standing back to her feet but instead began to groom the piglets downy wings that had collected a layer of mud whenever she fell. Rei continued to lightly brush her lips across the feathers even after they had been cleaned remembered how her mother had done the same for her whenever she was a foal. "I wonder where the mother is?" Her heart ached to see families apart from each other.

"Well, I opened my big mouth and whined about wanting more adventure, we have gotten it. We have to find the parents. Afterall, how many winged pig families can there be in Helovia?" She said the words lightly but she was all too aware that even if the baby belonged to the only winged sow in the entire land Helovia was large enough to still make the search similar to finding a needle in a haystack.

"If.. I mean, when she wakes up maybe we could communicate with her and carry her to her family. Do you think that we could maybe communicate with her as we communicate with companions?" Glancing at Africa she spotted Silas, "Or could Silas maybe serve as a translator?" Rei sighed, she knew nothing about how the bonds or communications with companions worked.

Stretching her neck to reach a stick she awkwardly drug it through the loose dirt in front of them creating a crude drawing of the piglet and themselves with smiles on all four smiling and a heart in the middle of them all. Positioning herself and the still unconscious piglet so that the drawing would be the first thing that would be seen she chatted with the others while they waited for the tiny winged creature to wake up.

@[NPC]
x - x
Magic usage is okay.

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Warmth. Warmth, and a tickly soft feeling on her wings are the first sensations the piglet recognizes as she drifts in and out of consciousness. She senses a presence beside her, and for a minute, she relaxes. It’s all just been a bad dream, that’s what. “Mum,” she tries to squeak, but only a vague grunting comes out. “Mum, I’ve just had the most horrible dream.” This time, she does manage to get the words out, though it feels as if her tongue is glued to the roof of her mouth and her gums are moving through molasses. That’s better. However, she does not know that the creature she is snuggled up to is not her mother, nor does she know that the friendly giant cannot possibly understand her—after all, though they may share the sky, the languages of the two species are very different. All the mares will hear is confused oinking, punctuated by the occasional snuffly grunt.

“Mum,” she insists, eyes still closed as she wriggles closer, “doncha want to hear about it? I got lost, and then there were these great big GIANTS, and then…Mum?” Discomfited by the silence, the piglet opens an eye suspiciously. What she sees nearly makes her faint again—the GIANTS have surrounded her! Too frightened to move, she hugs the ground, her little pink body trembling. She does not notice Africa’s drawing, for she is far too busy giving the creatures shaky, darting glances. “Please!” she squeaks in her foreign tongue, “Please don’t hurt me!”

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Your new friends are braver than you, for no sooner has Africa stepped forward to nose at the little pink creature than Rei curls herself around it, grooming it as if she is its own mother. C’mon now, Reeni, you chide yourself, have a little adventurous spirit! Sheepishly, you step forward to inspect the small animal yourself. One snuffle is enough for you though; while Rei may claim that this thing is a baby, you’d rather look than touch. You retreat a step, careful not to stand over it lest it wakes up and is frightened.

Meanwhile, Rei is at the top of her game, rattling off suggestions for how to help the piglet. You shake your head in bemusement, clearly baffled about what to do. “Um…” you mutter unhelpfully, grey eyes ping-ponging back from Africa, to Rei, to the pink blob. “Well…” You’ve got nothing. Maybe something will come to you if it actually wakes up?

Unfortunately for you, at that moment, the creature begins to stir. Its first grunt startles you, and you snort as your head jerks up instinctively. “It’s moving,” you whisper, stating the obvious. Oh good gods, what do you do? And then the piglet opens its eyes.

Instantly, any thoughts that may have been beginning to bubble slowly to the surface of your brain are drowned out by the ruckus it makes. High-pitched squeals and squeaky grunts fly from its lips like bullets from a machine gun, and you step back, eyes wide. It’s trembling, clearly afraid, and while you feel bad for the little thing, but you don’t know what to do. “It’s okay!” you try to reassure it, comically almost as panicked as the piglet. “It’s okay!”

@[Africa]

Image Link

Deceased

100%

It was warm in late Tallsun, and to Africa, Sky Island seemed more a paradise than even the cool Oasis in spring. She could not imagine the young creature succumbing to the wrath of cold nights, nor was she sure as pale sandy eyes roamed its helpless form nestled against the embrace of the appaloosa mare, that it would starve any time soon. It seemed well enough, though her experience with pigs and babes alike was slim. Charcoal ears wavered across the flaming poll, utterly uncertain what exactly their next step needed to be. Rei confirmed her suspicion quickly, and the dappled one nodded briskly – there was no doubting its immaturity. "She doesn’t look very frightened..." she mentioned, hoping to quell the other mare’s worry, because the tiny thing had barely stirred.

As the spotty desert mare began to tidy mud cake feathers, the creature began to squeal softly- the strangest noise Africa had ever heard. She took a tentative step away, narrowing one eye as her startled expression cocked to the side. It seemed Nasreen was no more comfortable. She too had retreated slightly, and the dappled mare passed a quiet glance by the other, pretty painted mare. Rei spoke on all the while, a cup spilling with ideas, and when she mentioned Silas the one-winged squirmed a little. "Ah..." she hesitated, for a moment, and the Zephyr picked up promptly the reason for his bonded’s bristling.

"I don’t think he speaks... piglet!" laughter bubbled in her throat at the suggestion, but it was not derisive and she leaned as near as she dared to brush affectionately her sister’s black ear. "Silly Rei..." she giggled, turning with a grin towards Nasreen whose mumbling had not passed by altogether unnoticed.

Rei craned forward to reach a stick, and Africa watched with still a childish smile spilt through her expression- but suddenly the creature stirred. As their painted friend whispered, the grey took another step away.

The shrill noise unleashed when it found not its mother beside it was awful! The Starry-Eyed leapt away with ears buried back beneath fire, her only wing flared in defence, and even as Nasreen tried in vain to soothe it, she dared not return. "What’s wrong with it?!" she cried almost desperately, frantic eyes darting around them to see whose attention they had attracted; the shrieking, she thought, could bring the sky down upon them... and they were only trying to help.

Silas who had been thrown from his rest, eyes the piglet with sharp, unimpressed eyes. He thought immediately that the creature would make a fine gift for his cousin (his interest), Fina. Ordinarily he was repulsed by the thought of consuming another’s body, but for the sake of their budding friendship, the idea was more attractive. The thought however, was fleeting, as Africa scolded him silently. Though fearful and quite put off by its voice, the one-winged would never allow him to sacrifice something so utterly helpless. Go catch a lizard! she snapped irritably, and the bird swooped from their company.
Africa

The quite moments that they had with the piglet were apparently the quiet before the storm. Seconds over the winged babe opened its eyes it was on its feet causing more ruckus than what Rei would have ever believed something its size could even begin to make. Her sensitive ears splayed miserably at the screeches being emitted from the piglet. "I think that she is scared of us. Like petrified. But how do we let her know that we are friends without intimidating her further? We are so gosh darn big!"

Quickly, although with gentleness she spread her ebony wing to buffer the flight of the piglet. Quietly she hummed a lullaby her mother used to sing whenever Rei needed to be soothed. Although she didn't have her mother's voice she wasn't completely tone deaf with her humming. Keeping her yes on the small pink body she stood still with only her wing extended hoping to end the fleeing of the terrified winged pig. If it stopped to listen maybe her humming would calm it. Music was supposed to be a universal language after all.

"The parents should be nearby right? They ought to be able to hear her." At that thought Rei lifted her head to scan the forest around them. "How big do you guys think that the parents are? I mean ticked off birds are bad enough whenever you venture too closely to their nests; what would a pig capable of flight be like? Now feeling a bit more desperate the spotted pegasus tried harder to calm the child.

"I would do anything to speak pig!" Rei was trying to remain calm but the piglet's and her friend's panic were contagious. Although there was a chaotic hilarity to the situation. Down the line, once the piglet was reunited with her family, this would be a story Rei wouldn't be able to tell without bubbling over with laughter.

@[NPC]
x - x
Magic usage is okay.