the Rift

I Am a Loaded Gun

Fiore Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I can see a burning soul
Breaking through a raining cloud

The gentle warm summer breeze ruffled the verdant foliage that surrounded the part of the Worlds Edge that was not under the cover of trees. It was becoming late morning and the sun had now worked its way to burn off most of the lingering mist, birds sang their merry tune whilst basking in the mild glow of warmer days that would soon be gone and their wings turned south like little sun chasers. A whimsical, desirable life that Fiore envied. Routine and never changing, birds knew exactly what they were doing. Yet ever boring and the newly hailed Sergeant turned his attention away from the fluttering and to the bright horizon, thoughts churning over the last couple of days he'd spent in his new home.

Of the faces he'd met, Fiore had quickly come to understand that the place he had stumbled into was not the average bustling of rough equines. It was like being taken out of the grotty slums and thrown into a palace of circus animals. Horns, wings, dragons, dogs, bears, cats; everything and everywhere! All connected one way or another, coats were splashed in odd colours of gold and red, colours not meant to be found on the equine species. They carried armour, built glass walls and healed with magic! They commanded wild animals and made the ground shake. It was enough to send any normal guy running for the hills which begged Fiore to consider that he may be going slightly insane. Certainly his life was being lived on the edge!

Before he had been an 'odd job' kind of stallion. He roamed here and there, stopped in the hospitality of small herds, worked hard for the stallion in charge and earned food at the end of the day. Fiore thought that was how the world was supposed to work?! Well wasn't it?!

Apparently not.

Though the mares still dazzled in their overall beauty, some meltingly sweet and others rugged, tough. His blue gaze would clock them once to be remembered again on a sweet summers day. If such a time would come. Perhaps the females here would find him more appealing now he was a named Sergeant. At least, Fiore hoped his new title would make him a little less unknown in fairytale land.

A soft, hopeful sigh left his smiling lips whilst kind eyes watched the clouds float on by.

[Late morning on a nice warm summers day!
Fiore is located in a patch of meadow, near the cliff.
0/3 + 0 Closing Defence]

@[Lace]

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

They were preparing to leave by the time the sun rose from the sea, yawning and spilling shadows long and lanky from their feet. It had been good to be home, but it was high time to move on. It wouldn't do to linger, like a child hanging by a mothers skirt and crying out their loneliness. Postponing this moment would only drag out the pain, and the gold-dusted equine confessed himself quite ready to move on now, physically as well as mentally. His time as a member of the Qian had come and passed, and without the Dragonheart there to hold him back he felt no desire to remain in the misty forest. He would miss the people here, but felt sure that he would see them again. After all, it wasn't as though he was leaving Helovia; merely setting out to seek new sights, breathe a different kind of air.

He walked the forest on quiet feet with a faint smile lingering on the lips, careful not to disturb those who still slumbered in their glens and thickets. The White flitted lazily through the air by his side, her thoughts on breakfast and adventures and how nice the morning felt as the sun slowly heated the moist sea-side breeze.

It was late morning by the time the soul bound comrades emerged onto the meadow. They weren't really surprised to find someone awake already; the border guards should have been up way before them and by the look of this painted fellow he had been about for quite a while already.

"Morning" the silvery grullo greeted with a pleasant smile, nodding the head in a polite bow before continuing to walk. Fajira chirruped her greeting too and beat her wings to increase the speed before veering off to make a loop around the unfamiliar youngster to check him out. Had he joined the herd recently, was he the son of an old friend or should Lace really have recognized him as an old comrade? Regret seeped through him as he eyed the stallion, realizing with a pang of old pain how similar he was to Torasin and Solstice. The birdcatcher spots were different, maybe the built too but... ah, would this pain ever truly go away?

The white-maned old stallion turned away and kept walking, intent on leaving these borders before midday. There were too many memories here, too many reasons not to go.

---
pc: 0/3

@[Fiore]

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Unregistered
I can see a burning soul

The arrival of another didn't fall on deaf ears with Fiore turning kindly to view the grullo stallion and his frosted companion. Brief awe swept across his face at the sight of the dragon, a fantasy creature he had quickly learnt to accept along with all the other oddities that seemed to come along hand in hand with this land. The Sergeant had, in the end, come to accept that the fact he looked so normal probably meant he was the oddity. A surreal experience from the start, but the painted soldier was beginning to slowly fit into life here. It was certainly more exciting than anywhere else he had ever been.

"Morning!" He replied vibrantly. On closer inspection, he noted the way hints of gold splashed along this stranger's side and up one shoulder was a tree, burnt black into his fur and marred by a nasty looking scar. A web intricately weaved across his pleasant looking face before finally being crowned by folds of bleached hair. Fiore politely endured the dragons inspection with an amused smile on his face before finally turning his brilliant blue eyes back onto the stranger whom was already set in a direction away from him. The time spent in the Worlds Edge had been short for the spotted stallion so far and those he knew were little, even then they were just names to faces. Perhaps it was this need to be just included a little more that he reached out to this stranger without really thinking. "Wait!"

His voice pierced the air with urgency before he quickly proffered his head in embarrassed apology. Why did I do that?! He berated himself silently before smiling sheepishly, hoping the stallion would stop and at least turn. If he was to be apart of this herd then maybe there was some effort to be made from his side. "Sorry I didn't mean to be rude calling out like that" he apologised first, still silently cursing his impulsive tendencies. "Can I ask your name? I'm Fiore, still rather new here and yet, Sergeant they named me. I feel a bit inadequate considering how much of an unknown I am." He admitted gingerly. Normally, Fiore wouldn't be so truthful with his own emotions, especially to a stranger. Yet, he was faced with isolation and the difficult task of understanding his new home. It was a sacrifice he thought was almost his duty, there was nothing he would keep from them.

"If you wouldn't mind... I'm from humble roots and battling horses with creatures" he nodded with a smile to the white dragon "is foreign to me. Could you help me practise my skills?" It was a wild stab in the dark. There was no reason why this stranger would help him, he wasn't obliged to and Fiore simply hoped the pleasant smile shown earlier was matched with a generous heart.

[0/3 + 0 Closing Defence]

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

At the sudden call the silvery grullo stopped quite abruptly and raised the head up high, neck turning around and the rest of the body following automatically as he moved to look back at the stranger. The tone of his voice had sounded alarmingly urgent and Lace found himself torn between surprise and curiosity and an inexplicable feeling of guilt whose source he couldn't identify. The golden eyes were alert as they gazed silently at the paint, ears quivering slightly in attentive unease... was something wrong? Had he done something to upset this amiable looking fellow in his greeting and parting?

Luckily that didn't seem to be the case, and the stallion felt some of the tension drain away as the Edger continued on, words tumbling from his lips like apples from a tree in Orangemoon. "No worries" he murmured when apologized to, tilting the head ever so slightly to the side. His curiosity grew as the other kept speaking, laying forth a proposition for... well, a spar really. Lace couldn't help but raising a brow, rather surprised. They had promoted someone so fresh to Helovia into a position with that amount of responsibility? He had to wonder what the current WingLeaders were thinking, if they were unapproachable enough for a complete stranger to be preferable to bequeath with such a request.

"Name's Lace, and Fajira..." he replied with a nod towards the dragon, who upon hearing the suggestion had begun to zoom through the air in excitement, her resounding shrieks both loud and annoying; "You'll scare him off if you continue like that" the grullo thought amusedly at her, though might as well have spoken to the wind for all that she listened.

"Uhm, Fiore, was it? I don't suppose I mind, and my friend here is apparently raring to have a go," he grimaced as the little white gave off a particularly shrill cry and folded his ears flat against the poll to try and block the sound out, "but I'm not part of the Edge, nor have I fought for rather a long time. Are you still fine with that?"

Fajira snorted derisively through the bond at that, her thoughts growing wilder, fiercer as excitement mingled with ferocious bloodlust. "Gone soft on me, Silverthorn?" she piqued, swooping back over to him and began to fly back and forth over his neck, talons grasping and tugging tauntingly at his own mane. "You never forget how to fight, never forget the thrill. Don't kid yourself, come on!" Lace didn't answer, just shook the head and ducked away as she came down to have another go at him; but the slow grin that had begun to spread across the cob-webbed face seemed to be answer enough.

Ever so casually the older stallion turned around to face the youngster fully, a new gleam entering the golden eyes as they reassessed him. And as he began to move towards the side, stepping into a wide circle with brisk, efficient steps he felt himself falling back into a routine that was so well practiced, so familiar and nostalgic that it had become second nature. Beneath the scarred gray skin muscles tensed and relaxed, limbs stretched and joints popped; easing himself into a trot, then further into a steady canter Lace warmed himself up, making sure that if this overgrown colt decided to have a go, he would be ready for him.

---
@[Fiore] ooc: please begin whenever you're ready :D
[0/3]

The Store | The Warden

Unregistered
I can see a burning soul

Fiore stifled a sigh of relief when the grullo turned. At least his request hadn't fallen on deaf ears. He waited impatiently, his body twitching and his feet shuffled, the urge to practise his skills had been hot in his blood since the tournament. The stallion had always thought himself a capable fighter. This land, however, had taught him that if anything he was a poor fighter when it came to extremes. He had everything except the experience of fighting magic and creatures, be them wild or straight out of a fairytale. Bright eyes glanced at the dragon nervously. If the stranger accepted his offer then this would be his first time facing a dragon. Didn't legends say they breathe fire? With sharp teeth and claws? The little white reptile wasn't quite as big as Fiore imagined they would be from those stories, yet everything else could very well be true. To rise into the large shoes of Sergeant and survive in this volatile terrain, Fiore believed he had to be able to fight under these kinds of odds. Even if all he had were his bare hooves and a sturdy heart.

The elder male offers their names; Lace and Fajira. The soldier nodded, repeating them a few times as not to forget later on in the future. His gaze flickered to the blur of white in the sky and Fiore watched in awe as Fajira screeched her bubbly like excitement to which the coloured boy laughs timidly, beginning to question whether this was all in all a good idea. Yet, at the mention of his own name Fiore raised his own sky blue eyes to that of Lace's, plucking up the courage to remain and fight instead of giving to the sudden urge to runway. The warrior blinked in surprise when the grullo mentioned being not of the Edge. He didn't look all that lost after all? He was a fair way in too. Fiore frowned at this before a coy smile played around his lips. “You don't look particularly lost or up to no good. Though I suppose if you really were an intruder then my challenge still stands” Lace indeed didn't appear to be up to mischief the way Fiore saw it and if he was, wasn't that even more reason to test their skills in a fight?

“I would not want to disappoint your friends enthusiasm!” He nodded in respect to Fajira. In all honesty he was rather worried about fighting a dragon, but using the same steely nerves as he did in the tournament, Fiore prepared himself for battle. After all, it couldn't be worse than fight three opponents all with bonded companions and magic to call upon. His match up here was a little closer to equal and perhaps the closest to equal Fiore may ever get. So bravely he called upon his concentration and quickly threw together a vague plan for his opening attack. It was time to earn his title.

The Sergeant mirrored the old mans moves, warming his own muscles whilst smiling broadly when the glint entered the other males eyes. Blood began to pump faster and Fiore lifted his body lightly into a bouncy canter, doing his best to try to keep tabs on both Lace and his snowy reptile. For a moment, his blue gaze was locked onto the grullo's, waiting to see if he was going to leap for an attack first. Seconds passed before finally the painted soldier decided to bite the bullet and begin proceedings. It had happened the same way the last time he had fought, though Fiore hoped for a better outcome than falling over his own feet and scraping his nose along the floor. An injury that was still visible now on his velvet nostrils. Don't trip yourself up this time, idiot the stallion silently scolded himself before he carefully began to canter inwards and hopefully closer to where Lace was. Hind legs powered off the ground and quickly the mustang jumped into action, bringing his gait into a fast gallop. He favoured onto his right before aiming to elbow his shoulder into Lace's own left shoulder. Teeth bared and attempted to bite around the hip area, all in one move.

Their odd and quite easy conversation had been joyful, part of Fiore wanted to know more about Lace and Fajira, at least to find one (or two) soul to call friend. In the end, he would have to discover through exchanging blows.

[750words & 1/3]

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

"Boy is scared" the dragon chuckled with rather uncharacteristic glee and puffed herself up even more as she flitted on and off, keeping above the heads of the stallions and well out of reach from snapping teeth. She enjoyed seeing the nervous glances Fiore threw after her, thrived on the unease and respect that was so hard to come by nowadays - after all, companions came thirteen on a dozen here, and very few horses stopped to look twice at a dragon no matter how fierce, impressive or beautiful it was. The little White was determined to make the most of this sudden request to do battle; and then her bonded could snort and roll his eyes as much as he wanted.

"Be gentle with him, the wee lamb" Lace retorted toothily while attempting a tone of stern disapproval. He couldn't quite hide the trace of devilish enjoyment however, no doubt reflected across his face as the tobiano fell into the carousel and begun his own preparations - it startled the old rover that he would enjoy this as much as he did, and for a second he wondered fearfully whether there were traces of the old madness left within his mind... Then he pushed the thought aside and simply reveled in the moment, focusing on the feel of woodland ground beneath his feet as he cantered forth. Round and around it went in a wide circle, tension building up inside like a bubbling fountain, he could feel the senses awakening to the aging morn; the scent of moss and trees and fern and fungi mixed with that of sweat and the sulphuric tang of the dragon's breath, and he could have laughed out loud in pure joy of being alive.

Suddenly the rhythm of Fiore's footsteps changed, growing more rapid. Lace drew in a sharp breath and followed his path with his own eyes as well as from the elevated position of the dragoness, judging the angle of approach while calculating the predicted force and velocity of impact; their builds were roughly equal, their strength similar and the greatest difference lay in experience, accumulated memories and reflexes honed over years and years of battle. Knowing how to avoid being knocked off balance the tree-marked equine increased his own pace in a sudden burst of speed, and at the very last moment before impact he dug his hooves deep into the ground and heaved himself aside, barely a full pace to the right; but it was enough to evade the onslaught of bulk and teeth.

Suppressing a grin so as not to give away more hints about his state of mind than was absolutely necessary, he caught his weight on the front hooves and allowed the rump to swing around towards the left. With a sharp, strong kick of both hind legs he hoped to hit the young sergeant on the left side barrel or flank, aiming for places with plenty of muscle and bulk to ensure that he would leave only with bruises and nothing more - it wouldn't do to seriously harm such a valuable member of his beloved Qian. Fajira was less benevolent however; from her position high in the air she followed the charge of the destriers with critical eyes, waiting for a moment to strike. When Lace attacked she swooped down just low enough to remain out of reach and opened her maw to let loose a jet stream of blazing red-hot flames against the other horse's head; just slightly ahead of him, so that if he tried to continue forward in an attempt to avoid the attack, he would find himself showered in searing fire hot enough to melt rock.

"I thought I told you to be gentle" Lace communicated critically, their conversation lighting fast and almost wordless, barely more than rapid exchanges of imagery and emotion. "I am! the dragon cackled viciously in return, shimmering white wings blurring as she rushed back up into the sky once more, to continue her distracting dance of loops and swerves.

WC: 671
PC: [1/3]

The Store | The Warden

Unregistered
I can see a burning soul

Fiore the Greatest Bull in a China Shop.

That would be his title should the Gods be so kind to grant him one. For twice in a row now he had missed his opening onslaught. At least he hadn't fallen over his own feet, an improvement from complete humiliation he had faced last time and a minor relief to an otherwise dreary opener. His dogged spirit told him to carry on regardless whilst his ironic side racked his body in desperate laughter. He almost wanted to carry on galloping to the edge of the cliff before slamming on the breaks and shouting as loud as he could to the crashing waves and the carefree wind. That was how frustrated he was with himself and that emotion plagued him through the next sequence as the fight thundered on with no let up for his trampled pride. Tenacity was becoming an unfortunate specialty of his. One day everything would go right and perhaps the apocalypse would begin as a result. Either way, the tall order became taller and facing both horse and dragon became a little more harder.

His mind reeled with an effort to throw together an emergency plan as he initiated his breaks, back legs digging into the ground and when he had enough purchase the painted stallion turned onto his left. Lace had already expertly sped up to avoid his rash move that had completely missed and now the grulla was on the attack. Fiore's eyes widened as he saw the oncoming hooves a little too late for him to dance completely out of the way, solid feet clipping his barrel with enough force for him to wince and grimace at the bruise it would bring. The melee didn't end their, his earlier mistake beginning to prove costly, as in swooped a white reptile with fiery intents. Fear took hold of his instincts if only for a moment and, rooted to the floor, Fiore only managed to flinch his face away from the barrage of heat. Stumbling sideways from the previous attack as he did so.

The flames licked the left top half of his neck and the soldier made a sharp noise of pain as the sensation of burning filled his senses. "Fuck" he cursed, which wasn't like him, but his first burn from a dragon flame was more than just a nick on flesh. Frustration filled his mind and made his teeth bite into his lip, surely he was capable of more than this? It was followed quickly by self loathing as he began to hate his own incompetence, his own ordinariness, why would they promote such an idiot to Sergeant? There wasn't a moment in a fight yet that he had even thought he had gained the upper hand. Worthless soldier who punched above his own weight. That's who he was right now.

He engaged his legs once again and flung himself towards where he thought the monochrome like stallion was, the ordinary equine just like himself, except he wasn't. He had a dragon and what looked like well tuned skills. He was elder and most likely, wiser. Fiore powered on with his frustration, determined to at least mark him in some way and pull a little glory for himself! Blue eyes zoned in on hopefully his left fattier rump area, still through his annoyance the normally gentle warrior didn't want to accidentally hurt the old man badly and at the last moment, he flashed out his teeth and aiming to take a chunk from his furry hip zone. His own shoulder attempting to barge into his barrel, hoping his slightly inferior height would still give him enough strength to knock the webbed male off balance.

Fiore didn't hope for a better result this time. The soldier simply did what he thought would be best, would give him an advantage and left fate (and skill) to decide whether or not it was worthy enough to land that glorious blow that would boost his confidence from the dreary annoyance he was currently stuck with.

[677 Words & 2/3]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
This spar will default in 3 days. Please PM the Official account prior to that time, if you would like an extension.

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
This spar is defaulted to Fiore. Fiore wins 0.5 VP.
(Keep this unarchived though in case imi requests partial judging for full VP)